Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States VARS

skifree
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Did everyone see the latest VARS message? I'm fuming mad! Do they not know the meaning of hypocrisy?

...And why the hell does our director of flight ops still have a job after his "stunt?"

STINKY
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
what did it have to say?

Copperhed51
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Wow, pretty messed up stuff. Pilot was terminated for putting a blanket over the surveillance camera that management installed in the sleep room in IAD among other things. Ridiculous.

DryMotorBoatin
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
wow thats a brutal vars. alot of that is low even by TSA standards. really a shame to be the boys in the office being such absolute children. maybe we should put a camera in their office after their April Fools Recall letter last November.

proav8r
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
yeah I'd love to see the 'Non-Company related websites' they go on.

Blueskies21
05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow, pretty messed up stuff. Pilot was terminated for putting a blanket over the surveillance camera that management installed in the sleep room in IAD among other things. Ridiculous.
And what reason do they have for installing a camera to watch guys sleep anyway... creepy.

Positive_Rate
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
All TSA Pilots: RIC domicile closing effective June 28th...read OPs memos on the website for more info.

undflyboy06
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I've been out of the loop for a while.

I find it funny how Spirit Airlines received a Proffer from the NMB on May 3rd, and now there is a possibility that they can get approved for their 30-day cooling off period; according to the latest VARS. TSA has had a Proffer for how long, and still haven't reached the 30 day cooling off period?

Sorry if this is off topic. Was just curious since this was on the VARS.

Purpleanga
05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong since I've been out of the loop for a while.

I find it funny how Spirit Airlines received a Proffer from the NMB on May 3rd, and now there is a possibility that they can get approved for their 30-day cooling off period; according to the latest VARS. TSA has had a Proffer for how long, and still haven't reached the 30 day cooling off period?

Sorry if this is off topic. Was just curious since this was on the VARS.

We haven't been offered a proffer by the NMB but you're right that Spirit has been released quicker than us even though they haven't been in negotiations as long as us. I'm not sure but I would think majors get priority, who knows.

Herbie
05-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Seems like it is still the same game, they are just playing it a lot dirtier now. I have been furloughed for a year on Saturday and I still can't believe the way this is all going down.

All I can say to those still on lin is just to stay professional, let them know that we have not been broken by their pathetic tactics to stick it to the pilot group.

DryMotorBoatin
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
ya know...the funny thing is when the mec sent out that management playbook way back when...i read it and passed it off as propaganda. how silly was i? i think its hilarious how incredibly predictable mgmt is. kinda sad really

CaptainCarl
05-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Gosh... I wouldn't be hanging around the crew room anymore. I'd find a nice little corner in IAD and hide there. And does MW really still have a job? Didn't the FAA get involved with that? It's kind of tough to be Director of Flight Ops if you don't have any certificates.

skippy
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree this is ridiculous and should not be tolerated. Tsa pilots need to start jumping on the boards, setup a hotmail account and send mgmnt some anonymous emails,
Honestly i think they realize whilethey won the gojet battle, they will ultimately
lose the gojet war- so screw em

while tsa mgmnt resorting to these tactics is nothing new, it just demonstrates their lack of control of whats to come.

Foxcow
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Is there anyone on property that doesn't have a suspension to their name?

Shrek
05-13-2010, 02:42 AM
All TSA Pilots: RIC domicile closing effective June 28th...read OPs memos on the website for more info.

Well that sucks :mad:

wonkable
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Not that I'm suggesting anyone do this, but I thought of this

Balloon versus CCTV: balloon wins! - Boing Boing (http://boingboing.net/2008/08/03/balloon-versus-cctv.html)

frankwasright
05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Thing is,those management losers better hope they retire from there-EVERY airline has ex-waterskiers and will do everything in our power to be sure they don't infest our companies.

wonkable
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Thing is,those management losers better hope they retire from there-EVERY airline has ex-waterskiers and will do everything in our power to be sure they don't infest our companies.

That is why I don't buy the strike and we close argument. Pilot jobs are hard to find, but airline management jobs are even harder, especially if you have "allowed" your previous airline to go down the toilet. Those guys have no plans on leaving ever.

crustacean
05-14-2010, 07:49 PM
That is why I don't buy the strike and we close argument. Pilot jobs are hard to find, but airline management jobs are even harder, especially if you have "allowed" your previous airline to go down the toilet. Those guys have no plans on leaving ever.

What do you mean? They all have a cushy management job waiting for them across the hallway at GoJet.

Salukipilot4590
05-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Pretty much this was my reaction...

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7389/longneckreactiongif.gif

joemhama
05-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Good ole TSA. Some things never change I guess. Today is my one year furlough anniversary. Two interviews in one year, and still no flying job. I would take a recall. I imagine there's gotta be one right around the corner. Im sure every CPT. there is trying to get out with all this hiring going on. Any active waterskiiers care to comment?

Great Cornholio
05-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Right now we seem to be short on Capts and super short on FO's. All reserves are always flying. I have no idea why we aren't already running a small re-upgrade/recall class....

Although rumor is we are losing 4 planes by this fall....

Purpleanga
05-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Good ole TSA. Some things never change I guess. Today is my one year furlough anniversary. Two interviews in one year, and still no flying job. I would take a recall. I imagine there's gotta be one right around the corner. Im sure every CPT. there is trying to get out with all this hiring going on. Any active waterskiiers care to comment?

Yea. I'm in the same boat. Never ever would have thought I'd be furloughed this long. Hopefully this next contract will make us competitive requiring more bodies to be brought back. I have about .08% hope though. I'm curious as to how many would go back.

CaptainCarl
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm curious as to how many would go back.

Hard to say. A lot of my decision would depend on the new contract. As it stands now, doubtful.

Copperhed51
05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I have about .08% hope though.

You sure that's not your BAC?

TBucket
05-15-2010, 08:24 PM

.08% is waaaaaaaay low for a waterskiier....

soonerpilot06
05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm curious as to how many would go back.

It's pretty doubtful for me as well. TSA is my fall back plan for the next 2 years.

Kermitbobo
05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
New to the site... With others starting to hire I'm curious where I stand and whether looking elsewhere would be more of a reality than a recall. Is it possible for someone to send me a Senority list. Just curious where the chips lay.

CaptainCarl
05-17-2010, 05:02 PM
New to the site... With others starting to hire I'm curious where I stand and whether looking elsewhere would be more of a reality than a recall. Is it possible for someone to send me a Senority list. Just curious where the chips lay.

You need to get your post count up to get the PM (Private Message) feature unlocked. Welcome to APC, where the rumors run wild. :D

DryMotorBoatin
05-17-2010, 05:17 PM
we all got recalled in november...where were you!?!?!

Herbie
05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think I would put too much stock into a recall notice if it ever comes. They will probably just be pulling our leg again like the last little joke.

Kermitbobo
05-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh I got the wanna be recall letter... I didnt notice any type of seniority or logic to that letter. I guess I'll try and put my 2 cents in on a couple of topics and work on the PM feature... Yeah I'm starting to feel like jumping ship in the near future might be the best option. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels that way :)

Kermitbobo
05-17-2010, 06:09 PM
...wait a year to get recalled and sit on reserve maxed out on FO pay/ or go somewhere else be their monkey boy and by year two start making more than we max. Am I crazy, or am I so sane I just blew your mind!

CaptainCarl
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah I'm starting to feel like jumping ship in the near future might be the best option. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels that way :)

Yup, you're all alone ;)

Am I crazy, or am I so sane I just blew your mind!

:eek: This is madness!

Purpleanga
05-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Can I get one too?

Purpleanga
05-18-2010, 09:48 AM

It's been my average BAC number even sober, especially after that fake recall.

brottman
05-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I would also like to know where I stand on the seniority list. If any waterskiier would pm me this it would be very much appreciated.

Brian

Shootinstr8
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok I give up...what the hades is VARS?

solinator
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
wow thats a brutal vars. alot of that is low even by TSA standards. really a shame to be the boys in the office being such absolute children. maybe we should put a camera in their office after their April Fools Recall letter last November.

Are you serious?! They had an April Fools recall letter?!

Shootinstr8
05-18-2010, 11:16 AM
What is it with you Trans States Guys/Gals? Numerous pilots have asked what VARS means. If it something that is meaningful like the "hold the line" comments said do you think when you come asking for vols to help man info picket lines we will jump to the task.

boilerpilot
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
What is it with you Trans States Guys/Gals? Numerous pilots have asked what VARS means. If it something that is meaningful like the "hold the line" comments said do you think when you come asking for vols to help man info picket lines we will jump to the task.

I have absolutely no idea what your last sentence says. Vars is just the name of the TSA ALPA newsreads that go out. Stands for Voice Audio Recording System or something like that. Just what they call their weekly/biweekly stuff.

And seriously, who cares? And who cares enough to start making snarky comments towards TSA pilots? Yours was a really strange post, my friend.

DryMotorBoatin
05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

i read and reread that like 6 times and i literally have no clue what that means. i think this thread has come full circle and we are back to talking about BAC levels because im thinkin your in the range of .18-.24 or as most waterskiers refer to it "just gettin started"

Shootinstr8
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I have absolutely no idea what your last sentence says. Vars is just the name of the TSA ALPA newsreads that go out. Stands for Voice Audio Recording System or something like that. Just what they call their weekly/biweekly stuff.

And seriously, who cares? And who cares enough to start making snarky comments towards TSA pilots? Yours was a really strange post, my friend.

Sorry to have offended. I did a search and the last VARS had numerous guys asking what the term meant with no response, but had the "lighting of a match" posters and talk of strike action. I believed it was some violation of RLA and that it was pretty serious. Many of us ALPA guys volunteer to walk the line when we feel fellow ALPA brethren have been aggrieved out of solidarity. I mistakenly thought by the statements you were getting screwed by Hulas yet again. Thanks for cluing in the rest of the non TSA crowd.

Purpleanga
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
If it something that is meaningful like the "hold the line" comments said do you think when you come asking for vols to help man info picket lines we will jump to the task.

This has got to be the grammatical error of the month, maybe year?? The beauty of this sentence is that the more you read it, the less sense it makes.

Shootinstr8
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
sorry i am on meds should wait until i am off of this stuff

Foxcow
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
I figured all ALPA pilots were familiar with the term VARS.

CaptainCarl
05-18-2010, 03:18 PM

Let me translate the last sentence for those of you who don't speak Drunk. Ahem...

If VARS is an acronym for something meaningful, such as "hold the line," do you (Waterskiers) think, when you come asking volunteers to help man informational picket lines, we will jump to the task [without knowing what VARS means]?

CaptainCarl
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I mistakenly thought by the statements you were getting screwed by Hulas yet again.

You're still mistaken. From the sounds of things, the "screwing" hasn't stopped. :rolleyes:

Purpleanga
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM

Let me translate the last sentence for those of you who don't speak Drunk. Ahem...

If VARS is an acronym for something meaningful, such as "hold the line," do you (Waterskiers) think, when you come asking volunteers to help man informational picket lines, we will jump to the task [without knowing what VARS means]?

I don't know CaptainCarl, even with it translated it still doesn't make much sense. :D Maybe I need more pabst.

Shiek Yiboudi
05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
This has got to be the grammatical error of the month, maybe year?? The beauty of this sentence is that the more you read it, the less sense it makes.
I award him no points, and may god have mercy on his soul.

Salukipilot4590
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5792/capturenu.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3788/michelleobamanewsweek.gif

Foxcow
05-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Hot off the press. It looks like one of our turds got some lipstick

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb252/Foxcow/0518001809.jpg

CaptainCarl
05-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Still ugly. But it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

undflyboy06
05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Still ugly. But it's what's on the inside that counts ;)

Yea, the cockpit lit up like an orange christmas tree, or decorated like Halloween with all of the DMI stickers.

Positive_Rate
05-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Dare I say it actually looks sharp?

CaptainCarl
05-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Bite your tongue! :p (Really, she does) But hey, you're avatar shows us her soul.

Salukipilot4590
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Dude...I never thought I'd use this in two threads in the same day but I'll say it again...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3788/michelleobamanewsweek.gif

Positive_Rate
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Bite your tongue! :p (Really, she does) But hey, you're avatar shows us her soul.

HAHAH! Looks like 802 is getting a fresh new look down in MEZ right now, too.

Foxcow
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
It does look sharp. I would rather it looked like a piece but was *snicker* well maintained.

CrippleHawk
05-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Holy crap thats alot of MO'11 stickers om your Avatar.

Are they mostly NAIs or are they MELs?

Foxcow
05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Those are MEL items.

Positive_Rate
05-27-2010, 03:53 PM
So RIC isn't closing afterall. They reversed their decision. All displacements are now "VOID". Thanks to a grassroots effort started by a RIC FA...wow.

Herbie
05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow, the second "Gotcha" in a years time. This is how all the furloughed guys felt when we got recalled and then re-furloughed. What a place.

Purpleanga
05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
So RIC isn't closing afterall. They reversed their decision.

How can that even happen? You either close it or you don't to begin with. What a place indeed.:rolleyes:

Salukipilot4590
05-27-2010, 09:08 PM
So RIC isn't closing afterall

http://i29.tinypic.com/34ss8ow.jpg

Foxcow
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
In other news...

FAA Probes Whether Pilot Tried to Cover Up Mistake - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704032704575268720519844844.html)

FAA Probes Whether Pilot Sought to Cover Up Mistake

By ANDY PASZTOR

Regulators are investigating whether the head of flight operations at Trans States Airlines forgot to turn on one engine of a commuter jet while preparing for take off, then allegedly tried to cover up the mistake, according to government and industry officials.

The probe prompted the Federal Aviation Administration to temporarily bar Michael White, the airline's former chief pilot and currently its director of flight operations, from flying passengers. He has since been reinstated after passing a proficiency test, but the incident has prompted high-level concern inside the FAA, these officials said.

The agency is continuing to look at whether Mr. White tried to hide a mistake, and whether other airline managers tried to mislead regulators after the incident, according to these officials.

Mr. White has said that the engine shut down on its own, and the airline supports his position, according to people familiar with the details. Mr. White declined to comment for this article.

Spokesmen for the FAA and the airline, which operates flights for United Airlines and US Airways, confirmed the investigation into the incident but wouldn't elaborate.

"We have been fully cooperative with the FAA," the airline spokesman said.

The incident initially attracted FAA interest in what officials thought was another example of pilot distraction. In the past six months, at least one other crew flying for a different commuter carrier forgot to turn on both engines before starting to rev up for takeoff. Afterward, that airline revised its pre-flight checklist.

But the Trans States investigation has taken an unusual turn. The FAA has opened an enforcement case and is investigating allegations by other pilots that Mr. White tried to cover up his mistake. Some Trans States pilots also have told investigators that they felt airline management tried to pressure them or intimidate them to back up Mr. White's version of events, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Labor-management tensions at the airline are already high, with the pilots' union locked in stalled contract negotiations with the airline.

"We don't believe that any member of management has tried to dissuade pilots from telling anything" to the FAA, said the spokesman for the airline, a unit of Trans States Holdings Inc. of Bridgeton, Mo. He added that the FAA has "never told us there was any kind of investigation involving intimidation or coercion" of pilots.

FAA officials said allegations of a cover-up, if true, are disturbing because the regulator expects pilots and airline managers to promptly and honestly report safety lapses—even if they are serious—so other crews and carriers can benefit from lessons learned. If Mr. White or other members of management are found to have attempted to cover up a mistake, the airline could face financial penalties.

In March, Mr. White and another senior Trans States pilot were at the controls of a two-engine Embraer jet getting ready to take off from Washington Dulles International Airport near Washington, D.C. As the aircraft started to rev up, cockpit warnings that only one of the two engines was running prompted the pilots to pull off the runway and taxi back to the gate.

Mr. White wrote in the logbook—and told mechanics and fellow pilots at the time—that the engine had shut down on its own, according to people familiar with the details.

Two other Trans States pilots who were passengers on the plane concluded from sounds they heard that only one engine had been started up, they later told investigators, according to people familiar with the investigation. The plane's maintenance records also showed that one engine had never been started up, according to these people.

Shortly after the incident, a senior management pilot told one of the pilots in the back of the plane that maintenance data backed up Mr. White's version of events, according to a person familiar with the investigation. The pilot told investigators he interpreted that as indirect pressure to support Mr. White's statements, this person said.

The airline asked all four pilots who were passengers on the plane for copies of written statements they had submitted to the agency, according to people familiar with the investigation. Two of the pilots told investigators they felt that was another subtle form of intimidation, these people said.

The company removed the two men from flying duties before the FAA took the same action, according to people familiar with the case, and gave them additional training. The FAA required them to pass a proficiency test, which they did. Both pilots have returned to flying status. The other aviator is a senior pilot who checks the proficiency of other Trans States pilots during recurrent training sessions.

Trans States flies more than three million passengers annually, using 27 regional jets to serve 46 cities. Trans States Holdings also controls GoJet Airlines LLC, which flies 25 Bombardier regional jets for United Express, operating out of hubs at Chicago, Denver and Dulles.

In a taped telephone message prepared last month for Trans States pilots, their union leader alleges what he calls unfair disciplinary actions by the airline's management. Part of that pre-recorded message from Capt. Jason Ruszin refers to minor infractions for which pilots are routinely suspended from work, but also mentions an unnamed management pilot who fails to start an engine and "falsifies an aircraft discrepancy," but then isn't disciplined by superiors.

Copperhed51
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Soooooo, can we get released yet? Management clearly can't do anything in good faith, including negotiate. Fake recalls, fake write-ups to cover up management pilot error, firing people for defending themselves against voyeurism, screwing up potential business opportunities for reasons that make no sense (7 year aircraft lease vs. 5 year flying contract while ordering 50-100 new airplanes with no flying for them). What's it gonna take to get the NMB to see these guys are clowns? Did Hulas pay somebody off? I seriously begin to wonder what the motives are with all these people. Good article by the WSJ. Due to trends I've noticed over the past 3 or 4 years, I have learned to believe anything about TSA that is bad and nothing that is good. Use this philosophy and you will never be surprised again.

DryMotorBoatin
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
the sad part of this is, it gives the rest of the pilot group a black eye.

Purpleanga
06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Soooooo, can we get released yet?

Don't worry I'm sure the Nmb is watching this closely....... NOT

Did the mec meet with management two or three weeks ago? I'm assuming since no rumors are circulating that nothing came of it.

mustache ride
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/emaf.nsf/Popup?ReadForm&db=stltoday%5Cnews%5Cstories.nsf&docid=B10D2DC272D9BBA38625773E0009B93D) about MW....

Feeder airline here being investigated
FROM STAFF REPORTS
Thursday, Jun. 10 2010
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating why the crew of a St.
Louis-bound regional jet preparing for takeoff from Washington Dulles
International Airport did not have both of the plane's engines operating.

Flight 8023 to Lambert-St. Louis International Airport was being flown by
Bridgeton-based Trans States Airlines, a regional feeder airline for United
Airlines and US Airways. The carrier serves 46 cities.

The March 1 commuter flight never took off but the crew was preparing for
takeoff with only one of the Embraer's two engines turned on, said Elizabeth
Isham Cory, an FAA spokeswoman.

"The FAA takes all allegations of airline employees failing to follow
procedures very seriously and conducts a thorough investigation in each case,"
she said.

Trans States spokesman Fred Oxley on Wednesday declined to comment on specifics
of the flight because of the ongoing FAA investigation, including the names of
the flight crew. But pilots for the airline have identified one of the pilots
as a flight operations director at the airline.

Oxley and Cory said Trans States is cooperating with the FAA's investigation.