Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

xjetsig
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Thinking of leaving the industry,

I would like to get a pulse of the group on who used an outside source for resume assistance. Who did you use?

When describing your job function, how did you spin it?

Any one head to the insurance industry?
What did it take to get in, how much are you making now? would you recommend it?

USMCFLYR
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I've advised in the past to use the tenets of CRM and spin those into how they could beneficial to whatever new career you are looking to enter. EVERY employer would be desiring attributes such as Decision Making, Assertiveness, Leadership, Communication (to name a few) in a new employee.

I'm not in the Insurance business but I have family that were - Catastrophic Insurance Adjustment in particular - and it is NOT a good business to be in now as an independent businessperson.

Best of luck in your search.

USMCFLYR

dumpcheck
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Agree with USMCF: emphasize the complex decision making you perform on a daily basis. Results oriented, team player, communication, leadership, prioritization, time management. The ability to organize and prioritize in a dynamic environment and consistently achieve results is a very important skill to many employers.

Z_Pilot
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Xjetsig-

I am using a career coach / resume writer to get help outside of the industry. I tried marketing myself and reworking my resume to fit for non-aviation industries, but have had no luck whatsoever. Rick has helped folks like us before (pilots) get out of the industry. I highly recommend him.

Rick Watson Consulting : Life Coaching, Executive Coaching and Facilitation. (http://www.rickwatsonconsulting.com)

Rick Watson - LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwcoaching)

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1