Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Globerunner513
09-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I've never been to the Caribbean, and have some time off for a bit. Thinking of a somewhat spontaneous visit for a few days.

Thinking of Nassau, or perhaps one of the other islands in the Bahamas. Or St. Maartin, as I've always wanted to go to the ever famous beach by the runway there (can't remember the name). Open to other suggestions too.

Big on snorkeling and hiking, as well as spending time in the town(s). Probably traveling with a friend, so a priority would be a relatively safe place for foreigners.

Any thoughts?

tomgoodman
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Grand Cayman would be my choice. Great scuba/snorkeling and a low crime rate. Not terribly expensive if you avoid the ritzy beach hotels, and a small rental car was surprisingly cheap.

Cubdriver
09-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I have a friend who swears by going to the Dominican Republic. He loves it the place, goes every year and talks about it the rest of the year. He says it is under priced and under rated. Haiti is right around the corner though, so I would make sure the earthquake did not tear up the resort areas before going.

TonyWilliams
09-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I've been on cruise ship destinations in the Carrib. I did stop in Dominican Rep. once, and it seemed fine where we were. Very poor population, though.

Bahamas are close and easy to get to. Like sailing among the Virgin (US and UK) Islands. Probably liked that best. Caymens has a sting ray petting area, if you like that. Aruba seemed interesting with its Dutch colonial heritage.

I think I'd like Cuba. First, what do you like to do? Sit on beach? Night life? Just chill?

Globerunner513
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks, I've been looking into all of those!

As for me, I love to snorkel and finding a way to rent a small boat to go island hopping would be a lot of fun I would think, but something that would seem more limited to a place like the Bahamas.

Other wise mostly just hanging out between the beach, hotel, and shopping districts around the town. Impartial on night life. If its there, I don't mind and I'll probably check it out. If its not, I'll enjoy the quiet.

DYNASTY HVY
09-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Jamaica is a great getaway also if your going for a few days.

zondaracer
09-05-2010, 07:34 AM
My wife and I loved St Martin and we stayed on The french side so it was a little bit of a different atmosphere but we would definitely go back. We were disappointed a little with St Thomas because we just didn't find it as nice as St Martin overall. We also went to San Andres but it could be difficult to get there as you would most likely have to go through Panama or Colombia and the island is so small that I would recommend checking out somewhere St Martin first.

If you are travelling from the west coast, going to Mexico such as Cozumel or Cancun would cost a lot less and save some travel time. Have fun wherever you go!!

ClutchCargo
09-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Avoid the US Virgin Islands. Crime is very ugly and an all too common occurance there.:(

ATCsaidDoWhat
09-07-2010, 06:14 AM
For snorkeling, you would be hard pressed to beat Pigeon Point Beach in Tobago. Absolutely stunning.

I'd also check out Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas. Get there by ferry boat from Abaco. Neat little island, nice places to stay and some wonderful snorkeling and fishing to be had. Don't miss Bert's or Miss Emily's Blue Bee Bar. Or the island band, the Gully Roosters.

Csy Mon
09-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Thinking of Nassau, or perhaps one of the other islands in the Bahamas.

Bahamas is not in the Carribbean, but rather the North Atlantic.

Some good spots:
The Dominican Republic
Cozumel
Cayman

(As recommended by others)

The US Virgin Islands have an attitude problem and high crime rate, except St. John which is nice and laid back as there is no airport.

I love St. Barths, but it is rather pricey, same with Aruba: clean but pricey.

Stay away from Jamaica and Haiti.

ryan1234
09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I go there every weekend....

Dom Rep is nice, great if you speak Spanish.... some areas can be pretty shady, but overall everyone is nice.

Puerto Rico has some great spots... just have to know where you're going. Isla de Culebra is a pretty awesome place.

Bahamas pretty much suck unless you make it down to the Exumas or around there.... I'd avoid Freeport and Nassau

Turks and Caicos - kinda cool to visit once, just not too much going on there.

US Virgin Islands.... St. John is nice.... BVI is also cool to visit.

St. Maarten - not too bad

Mexico/Belize - if you're a self tour type of a person there can be a lot to see there, especially if you like diving.

Houduras - Diving is nice, but not too much to see other than that.

Caymans - awesome vacation spot... very fun place.

McDoo the Irish
09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Find your way to Cuba, either through Toronto, Nassau, or Cancun.
The Cubans will be glad to have you and will not stamp your passport. Book a resort through any Canadian travel agency. The price will be much lower than if you just drive up and pay by the day.
Convert your money to Canadian dolllars or Euros before you go. USD are accepted under the table, but if you need to pay for anything legit, you'll need one of those two currencies. Credit cards issued by an American bank are also not accepted.
Some people complain about the food being bland, but like anywhere, you get what you pay for.
The rum is the best anywhere(I'm sipping 7 year old Havana Club right now, here in Nova Scotia.)The women are beautiful, the beaches are clean and uncrowded, and you can drink the water from any tap.
I recommend Veradero for it's beaches and amenities and its proximity (70km) to Havana.
Flying for Westjet allows us to see most of the islands on a regular basis, as well my wife and I have cruised and traveled extensively in the Caribbean.
Doesn't matter where you go, you'll enjoy yourself. A holiday is what you make of it.
McDoo the Irish Navigator

chongololo
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
If you are adventurous then go to St. Lucia or Dominica. They are both wild places with a little less tourists than the usual spots.
Barbados is nice and St. Vincent and the Grenadines is beautiful.
Have fun, knock back one for me! ;)

gilz16
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Not in the Caribbean but I had to put it out for you...go to Costa Rica! It is heaven, gorgeous women:eek: and good surf if you're into that...:D

hemaybedid
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Bahamas is not in the Carribbean, but rather the North Atlantic.

Sounds cold!

pokey9554
01-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Just got back from the Caribbean. The island we went to had all of what you described without the people. If you're still interested, PM me and I can hook you up with some of the locals that will take you on boat tours, drop offs, snorkel adventures.

expectholding
02-15-2011, 12:17 AM
im thinking about going to aruba or costa rica in the next week or so, but i really want to go to grand cayman, anybody know of a decent hotel in any of these places that is inexpensive? id like to stay under $100/night...

expectholding
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
and has anyone ever been to quito?

gilz16
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
im thinking about going to aruba or costa rica in the next week or so, but i really want to go to grand cayman, anybody know of a decent hotel in any of these places that is inexpensive? id like to stay under $100/night...

In Costa Rica are you planning on staying in the capital or somewhere else? What province? I might be able to help you!

zondaracer
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Not in the Caribbean but I had to put it out for you...go to Costa Rica! It is heaven, gorgeous women:eek: and good surf if you're into that...:D

Costa Rica does have one Caribbean coast though, but not often thought of as a traditional ¨Caribbean¨ local, aka part of the Greater or Lesser Antilles

1BuckeyesFan
02-27-2011, 06:27 AM

hotbwayjoel
02-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Jamaica

I would go to the north coast, Negril or Montego Bay. Don't listen to what others might say about violence as the tourist cities are over 150 miles/4 hours drive from the capitol Kingston where there would be "violence."

BeRich
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Costa Rica isn't traditional Caribbean, but I loved it when I was there...the rainforest is amazing, and there tons of stuff to do if you willing to travel around the country instead of staying in one place.

Puerto Rico is nice, has some cool places, but for the most part isn't too exciting, IMHO.

RyanP
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
St John is a really cool place.. mostly national park so it isn't trashy like most of the other islands.. Have a place you can stay in tree houses on the beach (eco lodge).. great for snorkeling, rent a jeep and drive to the amazing secluded post card beaches.. some great bars.. get a (cheeseburger in paradise, Jimmy Buffett inspired) at Skinny Legs..

Punta Cana in the Dominican is the best place to go for super cheap all inclusive packages with really nice resorts and nice beaches.. can get all inclusive (all you can eat/drink) for $25-35 a day in the off seasons.. $45-70 other times.. I like the Bahia Bavaro Principe.. The island outside of the resort compounds is very ghetto though. Also, if you like deep sea fishing, Marlin, Mahi-Mahi etc.. you can get half day packages with food/drink for $50-75 a day.. hard to beat anywhere in the world

80ktscheck
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Maho Beach, St. Maarten.

Uncle Wurmy
01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Puerto Rico is nice, has some cool places, but for the most part isn't too exciting, IMHO.

If you go to Puerto Rico don't miss Vieques-it's beautiful and still not too full of tourists.

AirplaneYardee
01-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Maho Beach, St. Maarten.

Agreed! Maho is cool, people are friendly, and the vibe is way better than most other Islands.

portfo
01-26-2014, 01:41 PM

If you go to Puerto Rico don't miss Vieques-it's beautiful and still not too full of tourists.
I've never been to vieques, but I did go to Culebra. I've seen a lot of beaches in my day, and by far, flamenco bay will forever hold a spot as the prettiest in the world!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1