Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Allegiant essay

cjpilotmd11
09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Anyone else gat the email from Allegaint about writing a 500 word essay?

Jango
09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Yup, just about everyone's getting it as far as I can tell.

jetpilot419
09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Ditto. Got it the yesterday.

boeing738
09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Same here, I got it yesterday

lolwut
09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Those of you who are getting this..... are you people who have interviewed? Heard something back? Simply applied? And if its just because you applied, how long ago did you do so?

bassslayer
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I got the email yesterday. Applied about two weeks ago. I think they send it out to everyone who applies

ToBeOrNotToBe
09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Are you applying for a job or scholarship?

captscott26
09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Anyone else gat the email from Allegaint about writing a 500 word essay?

seems to me ALGT is going a little over the top here. Im not writing an essay for ANY pilot job out there. Thats just absurd.:(

Since when does writing skill have anything to do with a pilots ability to fly an airplane?

scumby
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
seems to me ALGT is going a little over the top here. Im not writing an essay for ANY pilot job out there. Thats just absurd.:(

Since when does writing skill have anything to do with a pilots ability to fly an airplane?

At Hawaiian you have to pick one hat ( cop, pilot, fireman, cowboy etc...) and do a 10 min speech on how the hat relates to Hawaii and to the company. beat that.

leetom101
09-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I received the same Email yesterday. I really would like to get in with Allegiant. Does anyone have a little advice for a fellow pilot? Thanks!

captscott26
09-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I received the same Email yesterday. I really would like to get in with Allegiant. Does anyone have a little advice for a fellow pilot? Thanks!

Yeah, evidently, you need to take a creative writing class!

SilkBra
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM

I guess it is a pain, but still pretty inexpensive. Many a pilot has had to get a 737 type to interview, or pay for sim time in an MD11, CRJ or 737 to practice a "profile" that you better fly well to get a job with an airline. I guess those would have more to do with flying an airplane though.

62 words are in that small paragraph I wrote above. How many in the typical cover letter? About 200 or so? Allegiant wants 500 words. Is it all that bad? One could argue that Allegiant just weeded out all of the future hires that won't do read and sign memos and get the medical done by the end of the month.

Most of us have probably wrote 1000's of words of pure crap on this website. I bet I have. 500 words might get you into Allegiant, is that so bad?

FlyJSH
09-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I guess it is a pain, but still pretty inexpensive. Many a pilot has had to get a 737 type to interview, or pay for sim time in an MD11, CRJ or 737 to practice a "profile" that you better fly well to get a job with an airline. I guess those would have more to do with flying an airplane though.

62 words are in that small paragraph I wrote above. How many in the typical cover letter? About 200 or so? Allegiant wants 500 words. Is it all that bad? One could argue that Allegiant just weeded out all of the future hires that won't do read and sign memos and get the medical done by the end of the month.

Most of us have probably wrote 1000's of words of pure crap on this website. I bet I have. 500 words might get you into Allegiant, is that so bad?

Most of us have probably written ...

Just trying to help ;)

Or maybe they don't want people who ask "how r u"

captscott26
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Its not that is all that terrible to write an essay, it just has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with our profession. How can they weed out pilots based on how they write an essay. It just makes no sense, and is a little insulting.

dosbo
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Several years ago, on the application I filled out, the very last question was why I wanted to be an airline pilot for xxx airlines in so many words or less. After about 14 pages of application I figured if they didn't know by then that I wanted to be an airline pilot for them it wasn't worth it. I left that last question blank.

Very shortly after submitting my application I moved on to the next phase of the interview and was subsequently hired by that airline.

Writing an essay should not be part of the application process. We are not in high school or college any more. We shouldn't act like we are.

Best wishes to all in this profession.

captfurlough
09-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I offer the following observation, but mean no insult to anyone here.

Writing skills are a dying art, particularly the younger you are. But communication skills are as important as ever. Try flying without a Flight Operations Manual, or Crew Operating Manual. (Someone had to write it so you could understand it.) Try filling out a form, even on line, to tell the chief pilot what happened during that emergency, (and it will have to be in writing, my friends) or explaining why you deviated from company policy. Try writing up your suggested verbage for a change in procedure or checklist, or an explanation of why you had that passenger removed or arrested.

A 500 word sample of your skill becomes very relevent to doing your job in the cockpit, and functioning within the company and air transportation system that employs you.

Today's youngest generation...and I'm refering to those in their teens and even early 20s....don't even use email....they simply text in a cryptic format that has nothing to do with english, and in many ways is designed to escape the understanding of adults or teachers. Now that's OK for fun, but the real world doesn't operate on that basis. Many kids avoid any class that might require writing assignments, and graduate today with very limited writing skills.

Any decent job with good pay or progression potential will require writing skills...not just oral talking skills. A number of airlines now require writing samples because it is a dying art...and they no longer take that ability for granted just because someone has a diploma.

captscott26
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Any decent job with good pay or progression potential will require writing skills...not just oral talking skills. A number of airlines now require writing samples because it is a dying art...and they no longer take that ability for granted just because someone has a diploma.

Well, a four year degree is an individuals proof of their ability to do the things you mentioned. They were tested, and passed, on their writing skills at their university. I understand where you are coming from, but I ask you where does it end? At a time in this business when pay and benefits are at an all time low, it takes a lot of guts for an airline to pre judge their PILOT applicants by their ability to write a 500 word essay. Such a judgement should take place during a comprehensive review of the applicants education and employment background. If they desire pilots with exceptional writing skills, there are ways to ensure they hire who they are looking for without taking things back to college application days.

dosbo
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I offer the following observation, but mean no insult to anyone here.

Writing skills are a dying art, particularly the younger you are. But communication skills are as important as ever. Try flying without a Flight Operations Manual, or Crew Operating Manual. (Someone had to write it so you could understand it.) Try filling out a form, even on line, to tell the chief pilot what happened during that emergency, (and it will have to be in writing, my friends) or explaining why you deviated from company policy. Try writing up your suggested verbage for a change in procedure or checklist, or an explanation of why you had that passenger removed or arrested.

A 500 word sample of your skill becomes very relevent to doing your job in the cockpit, and functioning within the company and air transportation system that employs you.

Today's youngest generation...and I'm refering to those in their teens and even early 20s....don't even use email....they simply text in a cryptic format that has nothing to do with english, and in many ways is designed to escape the understanding of adults or teachers. Now that's OK for fun, but the real world doesn't operate on that basis. Many kids avoid any class that might require writing assignments, and graduate today with very limited writing skills.

If you graduate from college or high school for that matter and can't write a cohesive paragraph, I doubt you can fill out an airline application without giving away your ineptitude. An essay shouldn't be required if you have the requisite certificates, skills, and experience.

Additionally an airline job should be considered a decent job with good pay and career progression. Perhaps we should work on that problem first. Then maybe we can attract those people that can write cohesive sentences and paragraphs without having to submit an essay.:D

davidsthubbins
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I got the email yesterday. Applied about two weeks ago. I think they send it out to everyone who applies

I'm confused....How did you apply two weeks ago? I created a "career agent" in may, but have never been emailed about any pilot openings. I check the website every week or so and there is never anything. Am I missing something on the website?

SilkBra
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Most of us have probably written ...

Just trying to help ;)

Or maybe they don't want people who ask "how r u"

Exactly. They let a clown like me in and now we have this essay thing.

atp409
09-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I got the email yesterday, and I don't see the big deal. Eagle interviewed me 7 years ago, it took 2 days. Sim ride in a 707, written test, cog. test, HR interview, 50 pounds of paperwork, and a 5 hour astronaut physical. This job started at $19 an hour.

If Allegiant wants to evaluate written communication and get a feel for who you are and what you're about it's fine with me. I planned, wrote and submitted it in three hours. I find it hard to believe that certain individuals "wouldn't write an essay for any airline"...really? Delta or Southwest calls and says, you've got the job, we just need an essay. I know what I'd do. Allegiant can offer me more time at home, less than 6 legs a day, and a 50% pay raise from where I've been for 7 years. They can have all the essays they want from me.

captfurlough
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
You asked the question of why an essay is required, and I gave you the answer. I didn't say it would be a popular answer, but it is the truth.

Please don't be afraid of writing the essay...nearly all foriegn carriers require a substantial autobiography in your application. They will not consider your app without it. I recently applied at a well known legacy carrier, and the first thing they did when you walk in the door was give you an in flight incident report to fill out. Again, they were looking for the applicants ability to communicate essential information in a clear and concise manner.

I've also worked in flight operations management at a well know 121 carrier for many years, and you'd be surprised at the number of communications from pilots that are unreadable, or don't make sense. Sometimes you can't read the handwriting, and other times the reader can't follow the writer's train of thought or logic. The ability to write a clear, concise paragraph or page is a basic business skill, and the sad truth is that there are a fair number of college graduates that still have trouble with this. One of the major problems, funny as it may seem, was log book write-ups that didn't make sense. Occassionally those made for unecessary and expensive delays, as well as FAA involvement.

By the way, I don't know of anyone who was not selected because of their poor writing skills alone. The airline is looking at you not just as a pilot, but as an employee able to function within the business organization, and writing is only one part of that. But poor writing skills in combination with other factors can leave you less competitive than those who can clearly communicate.

One last thought....even though the FAA certified you as a pilot, the company will still want to see your flying skills through training before they put you on line. Since writing is inherently part of what you will do on the line, try to do your best on these pre-employment assesments to impress the employer and get the job!

Best of luck to all of you!!!!

11Fan
09-11-2010, 08:01 PM
5 That was 361 words by the way. How much harder is 140 more, really?

ToBeOrNotToBe
09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
They should just ask for a cover letter like most airlines.

FlyJSH
09-12-2010, 01:28 AM
The reason why they ask for an essay is...... THEY CAN.

Maybe they wanted to weed out the resume slingers. Or maybe they wanted to see an applicant make some sort of reference to their business model or that flying old airplanes is okay.

Somebody somewhere decided it would be a good idea. So, they implemented it.

Other companies require a particular type rating or that one wears a particular suit and tie to an interview that lasts days. If you feel the requirements are inappropriate, dont apply.

HercDriver130
09-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Atlas currently has you write an essay DURING the interview on a subject of their choosing that changes daily. When we asked them why, as someone stated above they were tired of the stuff written up and given to the company from pilots that was so unreadable and cryptic that they did not understand it. Of great emphasis they stated were that maintenance write ups had become so bad even the wrench turners could not understand them in some cases. Excuse...maybe... but they ask because they can.

FlyinPiker
09-12-2010, 03:47 AM
=

Maybe they wanted to weed out the resume slingers.

I think your spot on here. With so many pilots out there that just want a job...any job...it makes sense they would do what they can to help themselves decide just who to bring in and who to pass on.

Unfortunately I doubt they have a shortage of qualified resumes.

captainchipotle
09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
just another hoop to jump through while chasing the cheese.

Tony Nelson
09-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Someone needs to start an LLC that writes these essays for an small fee. I would, but my writing skills never would have landed me a job at an airline. Good luck to those applying.

Eric Stratton
09-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Someone needs to start an LLC that writes these essays for an small fee. I would, but my writing skills never would have landed me a job at an airline. Good luck to those applying.

MegaEssays.com - Over 100,000 essays, essays and term papers available for instant access!! (http://www.megaessays.com)

I think it's actually run by a pilot.

LMEN
09-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Exactly. Not to mention the 5000 applications they have on file.

LMEN
09-12-2010, 07:41 AM
I got the email yesterday, and I don't see the big deal. Eagle interviewed me 7 years ago, it took 2 days. Sim ride in a 707, written test, cog. test, HR interview, 50 pounds of paperwork, and a 5 hour astronaut physical. This job started at $19 an hour.

If Allegiant wants to evaluate written communication and get a feel for who you are and what you're about it's fine with me. I planned, wrote and submitted it in three hours. I find it hard to believe that certain individuals "wouldn't write an essay for any airline"...really? Delta or Southwest calls and says, you've got the job, we just need an essay. I know what I'd do. Allegiant can offer me more time at home, less than 6 legs a day, and a 50% pay raise from where I've been for 7 years. They can have all the essays they want from me.
This is why people like apt409 get the job and is exactly the reason Allegiant is doing this. It's simple.

LMEN
09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
The reason why they ask for an essay is...... THEY CAN.

Maybe they wanted to weed out the resume slingers. Or maybe they wanted to see an applicant make some sort of reference to their business model or that flying old airplanes is okay.

Somebody somewhere decided it would be a good idea. So, they implemented it.

Other companies require a particular type rating or that one wears a particular suit and tie to an interview that lasts days. If you feel the requirements are inappropriate, dont apply.
Great posting!!!

hiplainsdrifter
09-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Bet the HR guy who came up with this isn't going to be the one culling through the hundreds, if not thousands, of essays though. :D

LMEN
09-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Atlas currently has you write an essay DURING the interview on a subject of their choosing that changes daily. When we asked them why, as someone stated above they were tired of the stuff written up and given to the company from pilots that was so unreadable and cryptic that they did not understand it. Of great emphasis they stated were that maintenance write ups had become so bad even the wrench turners could not understand them in some cases. Excuse...maybe... but they ask because they can.
Another great posting!!!

LMEN
09-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Bet the HR guy who came up with this isn't going to be the one culling through the hundreds, if not thousands, of essays though. :D
No, because they only sent this to the ones they plan on interviewing immediately for an October class or something, I AM GUESSING!

Likeabat
09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
FWIW, I filled out the online application many months ago and have occasionally updated my resume on the Allegiant Careers site - but I didn't get the request for an essay. They either don't want me or they've heard about my poor writing skills.

I also don't see a posting for pilot positions on their website. (?) So I guess if you don't have an application on file from previous postings, then you can't apply now. (?) Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

captfurlough
09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
In the last screening that I went through, I was given a report to the chief pilot's office to fill out (in my own handwriting) , panel interview, sim check, 4 hours of written tests including logic tests, math tests (all word problems), personality tests, and intelligence test. Each test was timed and each one other than the personality test got progressively harder with each question. Notice that the sim check (flying skills) was only one part of the selection criteria. If someone is going to trust you with their 125 million dollar airplane, and the lives of 325 people four days a week, it only makes sense that they want to know who you are, that you can think through problems rationally.

Just because someone has a pilot's license doesn't make them walk on water, and won't get them into this career. The FAA licensing process only requires you to use a computer keyboard to answer multiple choice questions because they're not employing you in a business enterprise.

Finding someone who wants to fly airplanes....easy. Finding someone without drug, alcohol, or other infractions...well, the list of qualified candidates just became a little shorter. Finding someone without a history of training problems that indicate he / she may have a problem that is hard to correct....the list just got a little shorter. Finding guys who haven't padded or exagerated their resume or experience....verifying the college transcripts...verifying the no accidents, incidents, or violations....the list got shorter again. Finding the mature, capable professional who is ready to learn and grow...not as easy as you might think. Even after they hire, there are occassionally pilots who don't make it through training or probation.

Being able to write a 500 word essay....that's the easy part!

hiplainsdrifter
09-12-2010, 09:11 AM
No, because they only sent this to the ones they plan on interviewing immediately for an October class or something, I AM GUESSING!

Fine, even 20 or 30 or 'em? No thanks. Good luck with that.:p

captjns
09-12-2010, 09:34 AM
It’s a disgusting how lazy HR can be in order to avoid face to face interviews to truly get to know an applicant. Essay?!?!? Never happened to me over the past 30, some years, both domestically or internationally, I’ve been in this business.

How many essays do you think this miscreant of an HR person actually reads.

full of luv
09-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Its not that is all that terrible to write an essay, it just has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with our profession. How can they weed out pilots based on how they write an essay. It just makes no sense, and is a little insulting.

Capt,
If you are not willing to submit to mgt on this tiny requirement, you most likely are not a "team player". For all we know, you'd probably try and start a union drive after being hired, perhaps you should move along......

boeing738
09-12-2010, 11:35 AM
It’s a disgusting how lazy HR can be in order to avoid face to face interviews to truly get to know an applicant. Essay?!?!? Never happened to me over the past 30, some years, both domestically or internationally, I’ve been in this business.

How many essays do you think this miscreant of an HR person actually reads.

After 20 years in the aviation industry I have heard pilots complain about everything from getting paid “only” 200k a year to "only" getting 18 days off a month, not getting lines that are commutable in both ends, etc, etc.

What is wrong about asking an applicant to write an essay about him/herself? It allows the employer to see if the applicant has communication skills for one (if you can express yourself coherently in writing, chances are you can express yourself verbally in a coordinated manner as well), it also allows the employer a peak into a candidates background and composition before deciding to call him/her in for an interview.
I am baffled by reading the negative comments about something that by any measure is a positive thing.

For the negative minds out there, here is some food for thought…

“We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out”

Winston Churchill

Globerunner513
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Is it just because they use the word 'essay'?

Really, 500 words isn't much IMHO, especially if it gets you a job. But to each his own.

captjns
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
After 20 years in the aviation industry I have heard pilots complain about everything from getting paid “only” 200k a year to "only" getting 18 days off a month, not getting lines that are commutable in both ends, etc, etc.

What is wrong about asking an applicant to write an essay about him/herself? It allows the employer to see if the applicant has communication skills for one (if you can express yourself coherently in writing, chances are you can express yourself verbally in a coordinated manner as well), it also allows the employer a peak into a candidates background and composition before deciding to call him/her in for an interview.
I am baffled by reading the negative comments about something that by any measure is a positive thing.

For the negative minds out there, here is some food for thought…

“We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out”

Winston Churchill

Essays are for school... not for airlines. After all an essayist a pilot does not make.... Shakespeare. An essay is not a demonstration of one's ability to be a team player, a crewmember, or a valued employee. Besides how does HR actually know who composed the essay? How many English majors are interviewing for the job? Do they grade the essay on content, syntax, run on sentences spelling, punctuation?

Words on paper are just that... words. Just like a resume... it's just a piece of paper with alpha numerics imprinted on it to give a potential employer a brief introduction to one’s qualifications. Face to face interview along with a simulator evaluation will validate the alpha numerics previously submitted to the employer. Been on the hiring side of the airline house for many years at various carriers. I have used various section of the employment application to conduct my interviews.

But that’s my humble opinion. I’m not criticizing anyone who presses on with Allegient… in fact I wish all the applicants the best of luck and hope they are able to get a job with them, and if not with any other carrier they are interviewing with.

jc23
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
In the last screening that I went through, I was given a report to the chief pilot's office to fill out (in my own handwriting) , panel interview, sim check, 4 hours of written tests including logic tests, math tests (all word problems), personality tests, and intelligence test. Each test was timed and each one other than the personality test got progressively harder with each question. Notice that the sim check (flying skills) was only one part of the selection criteria. If someone is going to trust you with their 125 million dollar airplane, and the lives of 325 people four days a week, it only makes sense that they want to know who you are, that you can think through problems rationally.

Just because someone has a pilot's license doesn't make them walk on water, and won't get them into this career. The FAA licensing process only requires you to use a computer keyboard to answer multiple choice questions because they're not employing you in a business enterprise.

Finding someone who wants to fly airplanes....easy. Finding someone without drug, alcohol, or other infractions...well, the list of qualified candidates just became a little shorter. Finding someone without a history of training problems that indicate he / she may have a problem that is hard to correct....the list just got a little shorter. Finding guys who haven't padded or exagerated their resume or experience....verifying the college transcripts...verifying the no accidents, incidents, or violations....the list got shorter again. Finding the mature, capable professional who is ready to learn and grow...not as easy as you might think. Even after they hire, there are occassionally pilots who don't make it through training or probation.

Being able to write a 500 word essay....that's the easy part!
captfurlough,

Was the recent “screening” you went through at HAL?

-jc23

Dakota Kid
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I filled out the online application many months ago and have occasionally updated my resume on the Allegiant Careers site - but I didn't get the request for an essay. They either don't want me or they've heard about my poor writing skills.

I also don't see a posting for pilot positions on their website. (?) So I guess if you don't have an application on file from previous postings, then you can't apply now. (?) Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Quick response here for you. I filled out an app about 2 weeks ago when they opened the application link for about 3 days. I did receive an essay email on Friday. You are not the only one that did not receive the essay email, I have friends who didn't get one either. Why the difference? I have no clue. I figured that it was just a weeding out process to see who is still interested. IMHO

davidsthubbins
09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Quick response here for you. I filled out an app about 2 weeks ago when they opened the application link for about 3 days. I did receive an essay email on Friday. You are not the only one that did not receive the essay email, I have friends who didn't get one either. Why the difference? I have no clue. I figured that it was just a weeding out process to see who is still interested. IMHO

I just want to know how the hell you guys are applying?? Like I said earlier I filled out the "career agent" thing 4 or 5 months ago, but I was never alerted to any openings. I guess I need to check the website every day instead of every week.

I'll write a 5000 thousand word essay.

Lowlevel
09-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Well, a four year degree is an individuals proof of their ability to do the things you mentioned. They were tested, and passed, on their writing skills at their university. I understand where you are coming from, but I ask you where does it end? At a time in this business when pay and benefits are at an all time low, it takes a lot of guts for an airline to pre judge their PILOT applicants by their ability to write a 500 word essay. Such a judgement should take place during a comprehensive review of the applicants education and employment background. If they desire pilots with exceptional writing skills, there are ways to ensure they hire who they are looking for without taking things back to college application days.
I just hope nobody completes the essay. That way, mine will be the only one they receive:D
Most of an airline interview is trying to see what type of person you are, how it would be to share the cockpit with you, or what your thoughts and aspirations are. None of that is really "aviation" related. You answer these questions during the interview, so why wouldn't you do the essay?

I really don't think they are looking for writing skills (punctuation, spelling, etc.). I think they are trying to see two things; how you present yourself (in writing), and how you think of yourself and your profession.

I'm sure that if you write about how you are proud that your friends call you "Maverick" and how you get to fly a shiny jet aeroplane....they will call you for an interview right away:D

vagabond
09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Here are my observations as an outsider with no dog in this fight.

1) Does the email give a topic for this essay, or do you get to write about whatever your little heart desires?

2) 500 words is not a whole lot. I'm sure that if I were really interested, I could count the number of words in the longest post in this thread and find more than 500 words.

3) As a passenger, I hope to have the best qualified, most experienced and generally well rounded crew behind those reinforced cockpit doors. If airlines use an essay as one tool to weed out the thousands of applicants, then more power to them, as long as they do not use the essay as the exclusive tool or as the deal breaker in a job offer.

4) I've been on APC for 4 years now and have read thousands of posts. Many are well written with flawless grammar, syntax, spelling and punctuation. Many others, unfortunately, are the complete opposite and make no sense, let alone logical sense. They seem to be written by someone who spent the formative years dreaming up of prank jokes to play rather than paying attention to Sister Mary Joseph in grammar school. This is so sad. How are you going to write that essay for Allegiant now?

4A) I wonder if posts on APC can count towards meeting the 500 word essay requirement? :)

5) I have posted several times before that I am more than happy to proofread (NOT edit) any of your written works. I am making the same offer today.

6) Your profession, like mine, is one that requires continued learning. Every day that passes, you add a little more to your storehouse of experience and skill. If you refuse or cannot write a simple 500 word essay, then how can you hope to keep up with the increasing demands placed on this profession by the FAA, ALPA, airlines and the public?

Note: I just checked and my post (not including this note) is at 330 words. Let me at that Allegiant essay! :D

boarderdw
09-12-2010, 04:21 PM
So the essay email was not an automatic response type deal? Are there people out there that applied when the window was open and did not receive the essay email? If this is the case, I did receive the essay email, but I don't have an ATP. Do I really have a chance at an interview since I wrote the essay?

captscott26
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Capt,
If you are not willing to submit to mgt on this tiny requirement, you most likely are not a "team player". For all we know, you'd probably try and start a union drive after being hired, perhaps you should move along......

Maybe you misunderstood, or just simply assumed, but I am not interested in working for Allegiant. Also, being a "team player" has nothing to do with my objection to writing an essay to land a pilot job. Apples and oranges my friend.

Oh, and FWIW, yes I would start a union drive. Airline mgmt has proven itself to be completely unworthy of trust. Pilot unions, especially at an airline like Allegiant, are a must have.

atp409
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
This is why people like apt409 get the job and is exactly the reason Allegiant is doing this. It's simple.
Thanks LMEN, I hope you're right!

pipercub
09-12-2010, 07:58 PM
So the essay email was not an automatic response type deal? Are there people out there that applied when the window was open and did not receive the essay email? If this is the case, I did receive the essay email, but I don't have an ATP. Do I really have a chance at an interview since I wrote the essay?

Last I know you will not get an interview with out an ATP. ATP is one one of the Min requirements.

PBSG
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
It's not writing the essay, it's just part of the process and they want to see if you can follow directions. At a well known regional they asked for photocopies of certain things, in certain order and in color. If any of these were not correct you didn't get hired. Their thinking? If you cant follow directions on the application how are you going to follow directions when flying their aircraft?

boeing738
09-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Essays are for school... not for airlines. After all an essayist a pilot does not make.... Shakespeare. An essay is not a demonstration of one's ability to be a team player, a crewmember, or a valued employee. Besides how does HR actually know who composed the essay? How many English majors are interviewing for the job? Do they grade the essay on content, syntax, run on sentences spelling, punctuation?

Words on paper are just that... words. Just like a resume... it's just a piece of paper with alpha numerics imprinted on it to give a potential employer a brief introduction to one’s qualifications. Face to face interview along with a simulator evaluation will validate the alpha numerics previously submitted to the employer. Been on the hiring side of the airline house for many years at various carriers. I have used various section of the employment application to conduct my interviews.

But that’s my humble opinion. I’m not criticizing anyone who presses on with Allegient… in fact I wish all the applicants the best of luck and hope they are able to get a job with them, and if not with any other carrier they are interviewing with.

I am confident that Alllegiants purpose behind this request has nothing to do with hiring a bunch of Shakespeares. I am also pretty confident that they are not using this as their sole decision factor before hiring somebody. Allegiant is not the first employer to ask for an essay by the way, Delta has used the same tool in the past to manage the massive pile of applications they had on file.
That being said, I am glad to see some movement in the industry. There are plenty of bad news out there these days, unemployment, people losing their homes etc. hiring news are welcome brightspots in my book, essay or no essay.

MNPS 50N50W
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm sure there is a Recruiter and an interview board Pilot for Allegiant reading this thread.
My question to either... What is the next step?
Can't wait... I need a JOB....

pipercub
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Call's for interviews suppose to go out starting sept 16th

MNPS 50N50W
09-13-2010, 03:28 PM

That's great... Any tips, should I be so lucky. Are interviews done in Vegas, or Orlando?

FloridaGator
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
All Interveiws are done in Las Vegas.

A little about the essay. Its nothing big... and its an advantage to you because this is the type of question asked during the interview. Allegiant looks very closely at two things. 1) attention to detail. 2) the kind of person they hire.

Talk to people they have interviewed before. Rarely do applicants get asked the same questions exactly. The interview is taylored to the applicant to get to know that individual as best possible.

If Allegiant could rent out the Bellagio for a long weekend and invite everyone with an ATP to come hang out and get to know as many people as they could over a several day period during multiple conversations... they would. But they have a business to run.

Furthermore, if they could just hire everyone that simply exemplified their core values... they would. But again, they have a business to run. It is a tough Job market out there for both sides. There are probably hundreds of resumes on file that represent people that they would LOVE to hire. The fact is that they have to find the dozen or so people that are the most perfect fit in the organization.

I imagine that less than 10 percent of the people they interview are categorized as a bad fit or undesirable. They have a really hard job of selecting people from the other 90 percent. Please be respectfull of that and understand what a difficult decision making process it is. I really believe that it comes down to the tiniest of fractions that differentiate between interviewees. Anything that helps the interviewer better know you can only be a good thing. Any piece of commonality you can find with your intervieweris to your advantage.

Formerbuspilot
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Too bad the requirement isnt to write a 500 word bitc# session to post on APC! It would take them months to sort through all the submissions.

FBP

Mink
09-14-2010, 07:32 AM
The essay idea is nothing new. I did one for Alaska as part of their process (the day of my interview) in 2000.

Seems pretty simple - their bat and their ball. You follow their rules or go find another lot in which to play.

I agree with those above that think something in writing from a candidate is a good measuring stick. I can't count the number of 20,000 hour, ATP-holding, college educated aviators I have encountered that couldn't communicate their way out of a paper bag.

Good luck to those trying to get on with the company.

YXnot
09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Just don't write about your involvement with any union or union activities!

20 months ago I, and many other furloughed colleagues, interviewed with Allegiant. The word was out that they were asking everyone if we had attended a certain picketing event. The event in question took place on a roadside near the entrance to the CEO's lakefront home. The homes on the lake were not even visible from where we stood.

I had decided to tell the truth and explained that I attended because I couldn't with a good conscience stay in bed on a cold morning while many were out standing in a field. That and the existence of news footage which made it hard to deny being there.

Needless to say I, and the others who also answered similarly, did not get hired. I just wish I would have stood up and called them on the inappropriate question and walked out. I needed a job at the time though.

As it turns out I got on at the place I really wanted to work at anyway. So good things can and do come to those who wait.

Good Luck to all. It looks like Allegiant can be a decent job for some.

tango fox
09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Any one know if they sent the essay request to everyone, or just those they want to interview?

meloveboeing
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah they say some pilots will always find something to complain about. I get on here to try to find some useful info, but instead most of the stuff is from pilots complaining about something!

I used the essay as an opportunity for me to sell myself. If you are not going to submit one, great! the odds are better for me :-)

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 11:51 AM

I think the real interest is in the content of what you write, not the grammar or style, nut what are oyu proud of and why. I understand this oculd say a lot aobut a prospective new hire.

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Any one know if they sent the essay request to everyone, or just those they want to interview?

I understand it is only offered to those whom they may intend to interview. If they like your response in the essay, you get an interview.

boarderdw
09-14-2010, 11:58 AM

pretty sure they go out to everyone. I don't have an ATP, which is one of their min requirements, and I was sent the essay request.

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM

I responded to a posting on their website last month, got a "thank you" letter via US mail a week later, go the email requesting the essay on 9/10.

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I just hope nobody completes the essay. That way, mine will be the only one they receive:D
Most of an airline interview is trying to see what type of person you are, how it would be to share the cockpit with you, or what your thoughts and aspirations are. None of that is really "aviation" related. You answer these questions during the interview, so why wouldn't you do the essay?

I really don't think they are looking for writing skills (punctuation, spelling, etc.). I think they are trying to see two things; how you present yourself (in writing), and how you think of yourself and your profession.

I'm sure that if you write about how you are proud that your friends call you "Maverick" and how you get to fly a shiny jet aeroplane....they will call you for an interview right away:D

Well, I got my essay in on time, maybe we'll be roomies in indoc and new hire training!

tango fox
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I understand it is only offered to those whom they may intend to interview. If they like your response in the essay, you get an interview.

I hope you're right!

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM

My understanding...if you got the request for the essay, then they are interested in you and have already reviewed your qual's

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I hope you're right!

yeah...me too!

Ziggyfuzz
09-14-2010, 12:11 PM

sweet! THat's what I like to hear. I'm trying to stay positive these days and I really think I nailed the essay!

GolfKilo
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Has nothing to do with flying the plane, as we all know. I think they just want to see what your thought process is like. Kind of like the old Stanine tests of long ago. A means to look into your psyche. :eek:

AirWillie
09-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I think the real interest is in the content of what you write, not the grammar or style, nut what are oyu proud of and why. I understand this oculd say a lot aobut a prospective new hire.

Der Alegaint,

I like 2 fly for allegiant. I am good pilot. I work well and am team player.

Love, Ben Dover

FlyJSH
09-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Der Alegaint,

I like 2 fly for allegiant. I am good pilot. I work well and am team player.

Love, Ben Dover

Mr. Dover, for someone whose first language is Russian, your English is quite good. :D

atp409
09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Any Allegiant pilot care to give me an idea as to what base the new hires may be assigned? What's junior now? Thanks in advance!

grnclvrs
09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
SFB/MCO and LAS

Keith Stone
09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
got the same.
too bad my typing skills and lack of vocab suck.

atp409
09-16-2010, 01:03 AM
thanks grnclvrs

Ziggyfuzz
09-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Anyone who did an essay get a call yet?

atp409
09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Nope, fingers crossed since my 4am wakeup call. Good luck.

Vegaspilot
09-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Nothing yet, but hoping and praying to hear something.

Ziggyfuzz
09-16-2010, 10:26 AM
same here...good luck to you too

HercDriver130
09-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Nope ...nothing...nada!!

boarderdw
09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
still no word for anybody?

ea500driver
09-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Why should they be calling people for interviews today? They had 5000 essays to read...

Settle down guys.

What I'd like to know, why are they only holding said interviews in Vegas, don't they have a big base in SFB. Hard for people from the east coast to get to Vegas, especially if you are unemployed. Hard to get a jump seat, expensive to buy a ticket, even though you need the job.

MNPS 50N50W
09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know how many Pilots are needed. There is a rumor that Allegiant has taken, or will take delivery of 6 757's. Assuming that they don't put any of the MD80's on the ground, and they transition people from the MD's to the 75's. That can be as many as 60 Pilots. 5 crews per airplane.

Can anyone add to this, right or wrong....

FloridaGator
09-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Last class was 16.
Rumor is that this class will be 12 or so, but shouldn't be surprised if its another 16.
Most Junior Bases are SFB and LAS right now...but HNL is sure to be the junior base in the near future.

Firm deliveries are 6 757's and 17 MD-80's

However, 5 of the MD-80s are to be used for parts only.

The deliveries arrive on property gradually. Slow, Methodical, Intelligent Growth.

Currently there are 300 pilots flying the line. This number is projected to be about 450 pilots at the conclusion of the deliveries/growth. But remember.... its not like the regionals of the late 90's. They do not run classes of 30 people a month. Simply dont have the desire to or the facilities to.

There was a question about why interviews were only conducted in LAS. Simply put SFB is a little more than half the size of vegas (numbers of pilots), and all of the offices, management, HR personell, etc, etc, are located in Vegas. Las Vegas is the Head Quarters... Las Vegas is where the interviews are conducted.

Ziggyfuzz
09-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Last class was 16.
Rumor is that this class will be 12 or so, but shouldn't be surprised if its another 16.
Most Junior Bases are SFB and LAS right now...but HNL is sure to be the junior base in the near future.

Firm deliveries are 6 757's and 17 MD-80's

However, 5 of the MD-80s are to be used for parts only.

The deliveries arrive on property gradually. Slow, Methodical, Intelligent Growth.

Currently there are 300 pilots flying the line. This number is projected to be about 450 pilots at the conclusion of the deliveries/growth. But remember.... its not like the regionals of the late 90's. They do not run classes of 30 people a month. Simply dont have the desire to or the facilities to.

There was a question about why interviews were only conducted in LAS. Simply put SFB is a little more than half the size of vegas (numbers of pilots), and all of the offices, management, HR personell, etc, etc, are located in Vegas. Las Vegas is the Head Quarters... Las Vegas is where the interviews are conducted.

And not that I say anything you've mentioned is incorrect, just wondering, how is it that you know so much if you drive the Eclipse??

boeing738
09-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Airlines attending the October expo in Las Vegas!

Aviation Career Expo 2010 (http://aviationcareerexpo.com/)

brianb
09-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Typical day in the cockpit:

Fill out TOLD card. Assist Captain with logbook? No 500 word essays. Just another hoop to jump through for el crappo wages. Tell Allegiant to pound sand with their essay.

Ziggyfuzz
09-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Typical day in the cockpit:

Fill out TOLD card. Assist Captain with logbook? No 500 word essays. Just another hoop to jump through for el crappo wages. Tell Allegiant to pound sand with their essay.

I'll let 'em know you send your regards while I'm signing my paperwork! BTW, when do YOUR unemployment bene's runout?

minitour
09-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I'll let 'em know you send your regards while I'm signing my paperwork! BTW, when do YOUR unemployment bene's runout?
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/ohsnap-17397.jpg

-mini

twheel
09-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Airlines attending the October expo in Las Vegas!

Aviation Career Expo 2010 (http://aviationcareerexpo.com/)

Not trying to hijack the thread but... why is US Airways on the list of airlines attending the career expo?? Don't they still have like 250 on furlough?

Yep

davidsthubbins
09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Anyone get a call? Know someone who did? When are interviews happening? I expected a lot more activity on this thread by Friday evening.

bullmechum
09-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Got an E-mail requesting a second essay

You must choose one of the following topics:
1. How high flight crew salaries erode company profits.
2. How organized labor has destroyed the airline industry.
3. How duct tape can be used to extend the service life of the MD-80.

:D

Terantious
09-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Anyone get a call? Know someone who did? When are interviews happening? I expected a lot more activity on this thread by Friday evening.

Still waiting and hoping :)

davidsthubbins
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Got an E-mail requesting a second essay

You must choose one of the following topics:
1. How high flight crew salaries erode company profits.
2. How organized labor has destroyed the airline industry.
3. How duct tape can be used to extend the service life of the MD-80.

:D

Where's the yawn emoticon when I need one?

commodore64
09-18-2010, 05:55 AM
Bull that was funny!

I received the essay request and have not heard anything. I have an internal recommendation and a DC-9 type with several thousands of hours of pic time in type......

captscott26
09-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread but... why is US Airways on the list of airlines attending the career expo?? Don't they still have like 250 on furlough?

Yep

From the Aviation Career Expo website...

Hiring Projections from USAirways: Looking to hire 300 pilots in the next year.

brianb
09-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks dear, I appreciate it.

ZAT4US
09-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Kinda quiet. Plans change? Anyone get a confirmation that the essay was received?

MNPS 50N50W
09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Kinda quiet. Plans change? Anyone get a confirmation that the essay was received?

That's true. No response..... perhaps they have changed their minds.

MNPS 50N50W
09-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Can you give us an update on what happened. Apparently something did not go as planned. Or was the response more than expected.....

Ms. ... Recruiter did not even acknowledge receipt of said essays according to one poster.

Ziggyfuzz
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Can you give us an update on what happened. Apparently something did not go as planned. Or was the response more than expected.....

Ms. ... Recruiter did not even acknowledge receipt of said essays according to one poster.

No acknowledgement here either, I'm just hoping it's because they're actually reading them and weeding 'em out. Just trying to stay positive...

gmolane38
09-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Calls went out today. Not sure if they are finished, but they did call and schedule a number of interviews for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.

Ziggyfuzz
09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Calls went out today. Not sure if they are finished, but they did call and schedule a number of interviews for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.

And you know this because...?

gmolane38
09-21-2010, 06:39 AM
And you know this because...?

Three guys I formerly worked with got calls yesterday afternoon. Also heard from a few Allegiant guys that they had friends get calls, as well.

Maybe they are not done... that's what I am hoping. Have a few other friends that are hoping for calls.

boarderdw
09-21-2010, 07:27 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there won't be anymore calls. the lady told me they were all going out yesterday. on a positive note, for you guys without an atp, maybe next time. i don't have one, but i was asked to interview. good luck.

atp409
09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there won't be anymore calls. the lady told me they were all going out yesterday. on a positive note, for you guys without an atp, maybe next time. i don't have one, but i was asked to interview. good luck.

Guess I'll shred my ATP, then re-apply.

Markhpb
09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess you need to be an astronaut to get the call. I have over 7000 hrs with 1800 turb. PIC, and my resume went in with 6 internal recs. They have had my stuff for over a year, and still no call, and now they are calling guys without an ATP. WOW! Good thing I just got called back to Airways.

xcorporate
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I guess you need to be an astronaut to get the call. I have over 7000 hrs with 1800 turb. PIC, and my resume went in with 6 internal recs. They have had my stuff for over a year, and still no call, and now they are calling guys without an ATP. WOW! Good thing I just got called back to Airways.

I doubt anybody got called without an ATP. some live to get a rise out of folks..

NuthnFlashy
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
If it's true ... then I'll just keep trying. But I am holding out hope that the phone will ring.

Braniff DC8
09-22-2010, 05:00 AM
I cannot belive that this "operation" is asking for such absurd nonsense. If you only new the people running the show and some of the people working at this place. It is the most dysfunctional company you can imagine. The CP is the worst CP EVER! The DO is useless and MG is the world biggest back stabbing liar. People I know you may think AAY is great but it is NOT! There are some good people there but a lot of flunkies. The training department is laughable. I will get flamed for this and that is ok, I'll take it. I just cannot continue to read all the brew ha ha about this place. It's 2010 and they still pay 1$ an hr per diem. That you should tell you something.

Hacker15e
09-22-2010, 05:48 AM
I cannot belive

If you only new the people

all the brew ha ha

Good thing there wasn't an essay requirement back in the day, eh?

LMEN
09-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I've gotta laugh at this one.

X Rated
09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone figure out the logic between getting called and not getting called?

(not called)
X

Jango
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM

(not called)
X

No. But 5000+ applications on file for one class of 12-16 new hires has a lot to do with the not getting called part...

(also not called)

gmolane38
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM

(not called)
X

No. But 5000+ applications on file for one class of 12-16 new hires has a lot to do with the not getting called part...

(also not called)

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I have been told that there might still be a pilot or two in the hiring pool from the last round of interviews back in April. If true, that kinda shrinks down the number of seats they are trying to fill with this round of interviews.

gearcrankr
09-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I cannot belive that this "operation" is asking for such absurd nonsense. If you only new the people running the show and some of the people working at this place. It is the most dysfunctional company you can imagine. The CP is the worst CP EVER! The DO is useless and MG is the world biggest back stabbing liar. People I know you may think AAY is great but it is NOT! There are some good people there but a lot of flunkies. The training department is laughable. I will get flamed for this and that is ok, I'll take it. I just cannot continue to read all the brew ha ha about this place. It's 2010 and they still pay 1$ an hr per diem. That you should tell you something.

Please elaborate on the following: CP, DO, lots of flunkies and the laughable training dept. Why do they all suck? Compared to what? Do the instructors suck? Is it the syllabus? The dir of training? I simply ask because like many on this website I am unemployed and running out of options. AAY might be a place for some of us looking to stay in the industry without going overseas. (No I dont mind writing an essay, Yes I have my ATP.)

Not trying to flame, just looking for real life info. PM me if you want.:)

pipercub
09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

(not called)
X

It really is a numbers game. Like someone else pointed out allegiant has several thousand resumes on file.

In this last opening with the website open only three days they received over 500 more resumes and more than 700 came in from internal recommendations. I think they said they will interview around 40 or more people to fill the 12 slots for the next class.

Last class average flight time was around 7000. I heard based on those called for interviews this class average should be higher flight times than that.

xcorporate
09-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't see why you'd get flamed. If this is the reality of Allegiant it should be put out for all to see. If it's not, somebody in the know might actually stand up and defend. So far the silence is deafening.

BigTime
09-22-2010, 11:19 PM

Dude, calm down. I work there and haven't overnighted a single time in over two years, so what should I care about per diem? I work 10-12 days a month, and I eat every meal at home. Legally, the company isn't even required to give us per diem if we don't overnight, so we're actually lucky that we get it. It's a wee bit different here than at other airlines.

The CP and DO are okay. They may not be the greatest in the world, but I've heard of much worse. Still, it would be nice to have a CP who does more to stand up for the pilots rather than further management's agenda. But at least he's not looking to fire you for any little reason like some CP's. In fact you have to mess up really bad to get fired here.

There are a few flunkies, but not any more than other airlines. The only difference is we don't fire guys if they won't or can't upgrade. In fact, except for the 8 or 10 few, almost everybody I've met here is pretty nice. My main beef is that we need union representation. For the few pilots who have had incidents that involved the FAA, there really is no help for them if the company won't do anything, and sometimes if it's your fault there isn't much they can do. An union GO team and a lawyer to talk to would really be helpful so at least we have some sort of expert helping us.

FloridaGator
09-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I didn't feel it necessary to dispel every crackpot's comments on the web nor bother to respond to Braniff DC8. I can only assume that this is an individual who either didn't get hired or flew at an airline that went bankrupt and no longer exists and places the blame on individuals in Allegiant's management. Since some people actually believe what this person has written or are at least giving it some validity and challenging the rest of us to respond.....

The only reason you would dislike the chief pilot is if you are a problem child. Are you chronically late? Show up late for assignments? Regularly make mistakes at your job? Behave inappropriately at work? If not, then the chief pilot will never speak to you and you will likely not even be remembered by him. He is a fine individual that comes down hard on incompetence and stupidity. If you can avoid those things.... you will avoid him.

Our CEO and DO seemed nice and again, I'm not sure why you would have either routine or intermittent contact with them. The most communication I get from them is emails that announce expanding service or company growth goals. If you are a big investor or member of management.... you would have a more regular involvement with them. I can’t understand why any pilot would be unhappy their airline is financially healthy or that it has a growth plan. Enough on this issue?

With respect to the training department. It has really good people that work hard to help you understand the material. Because the airplane is old, there aren’t many whiz-bang training aids like with the RJ. If you were hoping for animated cartoons of how the systems work.... or if you were hoping for a computer lab with system study guides and training software, you won’t get that here. Straight forward Manuals and Instructors with PowerPoint.

Perdiem? Seriously? Everybody does day trips. So for a typical 8 hour duty day you get $8 perdiem. If we had the same perdiem as everyone else we would get $12 per day. This guy sounds like the kid in Better off Dead. Anyone who rants online about $4 needs a mental health check.

A bottom line look is this....

A major airline career would be great I'm sure, but let’s look closer.

1) American.... No sign of hiring and AA seems to be filtering onto their list making any time line for hiring just longer. It could be years (10) before they hire off the street.

2) CAL/UAL..... This is going to get interesting, but due to the ALPA Deal that forces CAL to bring UAL furloughs onto their list if they need more staffing. I am hearing 2018 is when they may hire off the street again.

3) DAL/NWA.... Clearly the best option. Make sure your Shuttle landings are all carefully logged.

4) USAIR........ One of these decades the rumors about liquidation might be correct.

Next is the Nationals, If you go to Jet Blue or Air Tran..... good airlines....but just like regionals....the goal is to be a captain. It aint going to happen. I was talking to a JB guy that was hired in 2005 and he said the company is so young that he is going to be a career co-pilot.

Allegiant has 300 pilots. It would be easier for AAY to double in size than JB or AT.

As was said earlier. There arent a whole lot of options out there. But an option that keeps you from overnighting in all the stupid cities that the regionals overnight in, lets you stay home a ton more than ANY other airline, has you flying mainline equipment, is showing promissing growth, is fun to work at, etc. etc.

You show me a better option.

Jango
09-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Very well said, and a summary of EXACTLY why I've applied at Allegiant.

I didn't feel it necessary to dispel every crackpot's comments on the web nor bother to respond to Braniff DC8. I can only assume that this is an individual who either didn't get hired or flew at an airline that went bankrupt and no longer exists and places the blame on individuals in Allegiant's management. Since some people actually believe what this person has written or are at least giving it some validity and challenging the rest of us to respond.....

The only reason you would dislike the chief pilot is if you are a problem child. Are you chronically late? Show up late for assignments? Regularly make mistakes at your job? Behave inappropriately at work? If not, then the chief pilot will never speak to you and you will likely not even be remembered by him. He is a fine individual that comes down hard on incompetence and stupidity. If you can avoid those things.... you will avoid him.

Our CEO and DO seemed nice and again, I'm not sure why you would have either routine or intermittent contact with them. The most communication I get from them is emails that announce expanding service or company growth goals. If you are a big investor or member of management.... you would have a more regular involvement with them. I can’t understand why any pilot would be unhappy their airline is financially healthy or that it has a growth plan. Enough on this issue?

With respect to the training department. It has really good people that work hard to help you understand the material. Because the airplane is old, there aren’t many whiz-bang training aids like with the RJ. If you were hoping for animated cartoons of how the systems work.... or if you were hoping for a computer lab with system study guides and training software, you won’t get that here. Straight forward Manuals and Instructors with PowerPoint.

Perdiem? Seriously? Everybody does day trips. So for a typical 8 hour duty day you get $8 perdiem. If we had the same perdiem as everyone else we would get $12 per day. This guy sounds like the kid in Better off Dead. Anyone who rants online about $4 needs a mental health check.

1) American.... No sign of hiring and AA seems to be filtering onto their list making any time line for hiring just longer. It could be years (10) before they hire off the street.

2) CAL/UAL..... This is going to get interesting, but due to the ALPA Deal that forces CAL to bring UAL furloughs onto their list if they need more staffing. I am hearing 2018 is when they may hire off the street again.

3) DAL/NWA.... Clearly the best option. Make sure your Shuttle landings are all carefully logged.

4) USAIR........ One of these decades the rumors about liquidation might be correct.

Next is the Nationals, If you go to Jet Blue or Air Tran..... good airlines....but just like regionals....the goal is to be a captain. It aint going to happen. I was talking to a JB guy that was hired in 2005 and he said the company is so young that he is going to be a career co-pilot.

Allegiant has 300 pilots. It would be easier for AAY to double in size than JB or AT.

As was said earlier. There arent a whole lot of options out there. But an option that keeps you from overnighting in all the stupid cities that the regionals overnight in, lets you stay home a ton more than ANY other airline, has you flying mainline equipment, is showing promissing growth, is fun to work at, etc. etc.

X Rated
09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Nicely said. My sentiments exactly.

davidsthubbins
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree, nicely said....but it makes not getting the call hurt that much worse.

Ziggyfuzz
09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
I agree, nicely said....but it makes not getting the call hurt that much worse.

I second that and all the above, not called and also can't understand why a guy with half my flight experience get's a call at the likes of Eagle and gets offered a job on the spot, I don't even get a call. I am glad Allegiant "called" and requested an essay, no call for interview, oh well I 'll keep trying. ..Out of work and looking for something..

gearcrankr
09-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you FloridaGator for such a candid response.

Learflyer
09-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Beautiful baby! Poor Braniff's first and last post ever had some pretty bad grammar complaining about the reason for an essay. :D:D:D

captfurlough
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Employers have their warts. They're all airlines. Every employee has their moles. They're all people. The trick is to look at this like a marriage...make sure you know eachother before you say "I do" because it's damn hard to change brides. If both parties are trying to make it work....that's as good a deal as you'll find. Management, particularly in flight operations and upper level corporate levels, will change many times in your career. You'll out-survive them all.

Just because a company has good management now, doesn't guarantee they will throughout your career. If they have bad management now, well, that tends to change with time too. If you're lucky enough to spend an entire career with one carrier...(and that's somewhat unlikely in the airline business), you'll live to see it all. The key is to be the professional you are at all times.

Unions...promise a lot, might deliver on some things, won't deliver on others. Usually run by the squeaky wheels with big, sometimes unrealistic ideas, and they don't always represent the majority or your view. They tend to be very political and speak in vague generalities. In negotiating, you'll rarely get anything without giving something else in exchange. Look around you...on this forum and other places...many career pilots are frustrated and angered at their unions impotence and or incompetence. Union leaders....many times turn out to be more disliked than a chief pilot.
Not saying unions are "bad"....but they aren't a panacea either. In some cases they can actually be necessary in dealing with very one sided or unfair managements.

Best wishes for good career employment for all of us looking!

IQuitEagle
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't see why or how all of you that are anxious to get hired by Allegiant are so eager to trash Braniff DC8's comments. Seeing as how you are interested in the airline, wouldn't it behoove you to find out the complete picture, the good and the bad? Trashing his comments, and him personally, is very sophomoric.

I fly for Allegiant. I agree with many of Braniff's comments, although not all of them. I know that I am in the minority on that, too. While others will disagree with me, all IS NOT rosy at Allegiant. That is my opinion, based on my personal observations.

I wish those of you luck that would like a job at Allegiant. Maybe it will be a good fit for you. Just know what you are getting into, do your research, and refrain from bashing those that don't toe the company line.

squaretail
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
The key is to be the professional you are at all times.

Well said, practical advice -- overall, great post!

Same goes for the post above from IQuitEagle.

Swedish Blender
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
I second that and all the above, not called and also can't understand why a guy with half my flight experience get's a call at the likes of Eagle and gets offered a job on the spot, I don't even get a call. I am glad Allegiant "called" and requested an essay, no call for interview, oh well I 'll keep trying. ..Out of work and looking for something..

FWIW, I don't know if its still the case, but a couple years ago, the person calling for interviews was from Eagle. Several ex Eagle pilot are there.

MNPS 50N50W
09-26-2010, 05:00 AM
For those whose essays were what the company was looking for, and were called for an interview, please share with the rest of us how it went.. good or bad.

Thanks

Lowlevel
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Excellent 80's reference! "I want my two dollars!" LOL!
I agree with all, except the DAL thing, but that's just me, an anti-DAL guy. But hey, if someone wants to work at an airline that has a 1960's mentality, but awful 2010 customer service attitude...feel free.
No overnights, a forward looking company, with growth in mind...Allegiant sounds good to me:)

saabslime
09-27-2010, 07:31 AM

Yep

Rumor from the schoolhouse is new hires by late 1st quarter next year. Chief pilots and staff are going through "interview training" as we speak.

GNENSEC
10-03-2010, 06:20 AM
The reason why is to see if you are dedicated enough to write the essay and actually do some work. It also shows what kind of personality you may have in certain senarios. NOT TO MENTION, IT PROOVES THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO WRITE A SENTENCE. :eek:

Typical attitude, everyone thinks they should just be handed jobs.

ATA when they were around, you HAD answer questions in essay form, similar senario.

REMEMBER ATTITUE IS EVERYTHING! :cool:

HercDriver130
10-03-2010, 12:30 PM
attitue? What is that?

MD80driver2day
10-03-2010, 01:56 PM
attitue? What is that?

I think you'll find that in the same dictionary as senarios and PROOVES. :D