Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

meloveboeing
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
For the pilots that were asked to submit an essay, did anyone get a call for an interview?

atp409
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
There is a thread on here called "allegiant essay" Some claimed to have "heard their friends had got a call". One guy said he got a call without an ATP, and someone mentioned that he may be telling a white lie to get hopefuls riled up. I submitted the essay and have not heard anything. The last rumor was that interviews started this week but who knows. I'm still checking voicemails with a glimmer of hope.

AceOnTheRiver
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
What is Allegiant?

atp409
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
What is Allegiant?

It's where you can go if you don't get fast tracked to a legacy. Allegiantair.com

MNPS 50N50W
09-29-2010, 05:14 AM
There is a thread on here called "allegiant essay" Some claimed to have "heard their friends had got a call". One guy said he got a call without an ATP, and someone mentioned that he may be telling a white lie to get hopefuls riled up. I submitted the essay and have not heard anything. The last rumor was that interviews started this week but who knows. I'm still checking voicemails with a glimmer of hope.

Hope those who were qualified/lucky enough to get a call for an interview, will somehow find a way to let the rest of us know how it went. Positive, or negative. Obviously.. without jeopardizing their chances of getting hired.

Do tell... but be careful. Some of the Pilots/Recruiters do read these threads.

meloveboeing
09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
It's where you can go if you don't get fast tracked to a legacy. Allegiantair.com

atp409,

I am trying to figure out what is the purpose of your statement. Are you saying you are better than the pilots that want to go to Allegiant? You are holier than thou and you are on the fast track to a Legacy? Or, you think those that go to Allegiant are not good enough to make it at a Legacy?

Has is it ever occurred to you that some of us don't have any interest in a Legacy?

Let's see:

3rd year CA pay at Allegiant is $137. at some Legacy carriers:

UA 737/A320 12th year pay $137
CO 737 3rd year $138
US 737/A320 16 year pay $125

The most Junior captain at Allegiant right now was hired in 2007. I would say that my chances of upgrading at Allegiant and having some quality of life is way better than that of a Legacy carrier.

Of the pilots I know that were hired at UA/CO 3 years ago, all of them are furloughed. for those that were hired more than 3 years ago, they have been sitting reserve ever since they started.

Each pilot has a choice to make, and to each his own. If you think those that go to Allegiant are not capable of making it to a Legacy, think again.

And where are you by the way??? an RJ driver?

Rance
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
slow down.... have a seat.... count slowly from 10 backwards... all will be ok. Time for this forum to grow up.

Globerunner513
09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, for the record I did check in a J/S earlier this week going to LAS for an interview. Hope that helps. Also, if he's reading this, It was a pleasure chatting with you, and best of luck.

hiplainsdrifter
09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
What's amusing about Allegiant is I know guys who turned Ďem down not too long ago and the ones that did show, it was with a shrug and a smirk.

Now...:rolleyes:

Itís sure fascinating watching their interview process evolve. Getting big fer their britches! Whatís next, fly you and your wife to Vegas for a second European style aeronautical engineering interview and a cocktail party in the evening, oh wait, thatís in Hong Kong. Wonder what it will look like when more than just one or two carriers flying something bigger than a 9 or an E start hiring.

My bros there are happy and grateful, haven't heard any complaints other than the usual.

mwflyboy
09-29-2010, 10:47 PM
One thing to note about Allegiant is that they have NO layovers (at least for now?)?

One man's junk is another mans treasure?

For some that is a HUGE plus!! Home every night! On the other hand, there are "some" who "enjoy" layovers?

Again, one man's junk is another mans treasure, and obviously vice versa?

HA717
09-29-2010, 10:54 PM
I know a handful of guys flying G4 and they have zero complaints. Although 3 of them were originally living in LAS before applying so that made things easy for them.

I also know a guy at my company now who was doing furlough flying with them a few years back. For him, he says it was a great place to be doing what he loved until the call came back to his "dream gig".

To each his own. Everyones idea of QOL is different and should be respected by others. Some call me crazy because I commute 5-6 hours to start a trip....no biggy for me, I have family in base. Just as I get tired of them, or they get tired of seeing me I'm off to work.

SoCalGuy
09-30-2010, 04:05 AM
atp409,

I am trying to figure out what is the purpose of your statement. Are you saying you are better than the pilots that want to go to Allegiant? You are holier than thou and you are on the fast track to a Legacy? Or, you think those that go to Allegiant are not good enough to make it at a Legacy?

Has is it ever occurred to you that some of us don't have any interest in a Legacy?

Let's see:

CO 737 3rd year $138

The most Junior captain at Allegiant right now was hired in 2007. I would say that my chances of upgrading at Allegiant and having some quality of life is way better than that of a Legacy carrier.

Of the pilots I know that were hired at UA/CO 3 years ago, all of them are furloughed. for those that were hired more than 3 years ago, they have been sitting reserve ever since they started.

Each pilot has a choice to make, and to each his own. If you think those that go to Allegiant are not capable of making it to a Legacy, think again.

If your going to "choose" to make a point, please 'attempt' to be completely accurate. Choosing to tell partial facts only hinders your credibility.

CAL 3rd yr CA pay is $138/hr on the B737/500&700 which ONLY comprises 70 of their 235+ B737's. The SAME CA that you 'mentioned' above makes $157/hr on the B737/800-900-900ER which comprises 168 a/c in their fleet.....basically 2/3rds of the entire CAL B737 fleet.....but I'm sure you 'knew' that fact and didn't want to mention that.:rolleyes:

As far as furloughs that you know so much about, ALL (yes ALL) furloughs at CAL have been sent recall letters as of Sept 17th.....and some of them were even awarded positions on the last bid that was complete 10+days ago.

RickJames
09-30-2010, 04:00 PM

atp409
10-01-2010, 05:57 AM
atp409,

Let's see:

CO 737 3rd year $138

Ok Boeing, back off me for a second. Had you taken the 5 seconds to look back two posts, you would have seen that I too am an Allegiant hopeful. My comment was directed at ACE, who has been a pro-Legacy guy for numerous threads in the past. You would think ACE would have heard of the rapidly growing, most successful LCC in business. I can't stand the badgering about regional and LCC pilots ruining the industry when it comes from guys and girls who "paid their dues" and got hired at the legacy with 1500hrs. I'm not accusing Ace of this for the record, I just think he's a little detached. Sorry ace. I have friends at ALGT and would love to join them. Should you look at the thread "allegiant essay" you will find me defending allegiant from multiple naysayers. I got an essay request, but didn't get called. Believe me I'm familiar with QOL and pay, I don't need your lecture. Do some research before you accuse me of "thinking I'm holier than any Allegiant pilot" and insulting my current position. I'll let your mistake slide, but don't plan on a Christmas card from me.

MD80driver2day
10-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Believe me I'm familiar with QOL and pay, I don't need your lecture.

I realize I'm taking your quote out of context, but I just don't understand people who bash us for our QOL and pay. (Not speaking about you atp)

Fact is, you won't find an airline out there with better QOL. 100% of scheduled service consists of day trips with 45-60 minute turns. Where are you going to find a better life than that?

Pay... I'm on 6 year pay and I'm averaging nearly 1100 hours of pay a year... about 100 of that is at premium rates. You do the math. The day of the 300K pilot is over (at least for our life time), so get over it! I'll take my 155K, family time, and ample play time and be thankful for the opportunity I have.

Some of you think that if G4 and the other LCC weren't around, you would magically be back at pre 9/11 wages... just not the case.

meloveboeing
10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
atp,

You know I really tried my best to make a point without making any attacks. I suppose I failed, my apologies, can I get a xmas card now??? :-)

Socalguy,

I was not attempting to provide a complete picture of QOL at a legacy, but only presenting the points that some of us are not interested in. Now, should I compare an MD-80 pay to a 737-800/900? Isn't that the same as 757 pay? Would you agree that the MD-80 is more in the category of a 737-500?

Now here's a true story. A good pilot I know, more like a mentor to me, was at a regional making $90k plus, went to CO to make 30k the first year I think? No insurance for 6 month? then got furloughed, and yes just got recalled. The day he joined CO, he could have went to Allegiant and would be a captain making $137 an hour now. How long do you think it will be before he will be making $137 an hour specially now with the merger? Do I think he made the wrong choice? Absolutely not, my hat is off to him and I have all the respect for him in the world.

But also, pilots at a Legacy carrier should have respect for pilots who choose to go elsewhere.

Again to each his own . . . that's the point I am making.

SoCalGuy
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Socalguy,

I was not attempting to provide a complete picture of QOL at a legacy, but only presenting the points that some of us are not interested in. Now, should I compare an MD-80 pay to a 737-800/900? Isn't that the same as 757 pay? Would you agree that the MD-80 is more in the category of a 737-500?

Now here's a true story. A good pilot I know, more like a mentor to me, was at a regional making $90k plus, went to CO to make 30k the first year I think? No insurance for 6 month? then got furloughed, and yes just got recalled. The day he joined CO, he could have went to Allegiant and would be a captain making $137 an hour now. How long do you think it will be before he will be making $137 an hour specially now with the merger? Do I think he made the wrong choice? Absolutely not, my hat is off to him and I have all the respect for him in the world.

But also, pilots at a Legacy carrier should have respect for pilots who choose to go elsewhere.

Again to each his own . . . that's the point I am making.

I am not asking you to blend/balance/'bob-n-weave' anything as far as $numbers$ go. In your post, you conveniently attempted to paint an inaccurate picture on a plane that comprises only 1/3 of CAL's B737 Fleet....I guess the other 2/3's (160+ a/c) of their Fleet making $20 more per hr has nothing to do with the 'facts'. If $20+/hr is not a big deal, money management probably is not a strong suit?;)

Reading what I wrote above, you will plainly see that I did not say/or advocate anything on how a Legacy Pilot should not respect a pilot who chooses to go elsewhere.....Merely 'correcting' your intel that was less than accurate. (BTW....the Airlines Profiles Section on APC contains a wealth of encompassing info for future reference.)

There's one thing you & I will see eye-to-eye on.....To each their own, "live & let live".

Best of luck to you.

atp409
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I realize I'm taking your quote out of context, but I just don't understand people who bash us for our QOL and pay. (Not speaking about you atp)

Fact is, you won't find an airline out there with better QOL. 100% of scheduled service consists of day trips with 45-60 minute turns. Where are you going to find a better life than that?

Pay... I'm on 6 year pay and I'm averaging nearly 1100 hours of pay a year... about 100 of that is at premium rates. You do the math. The day of the 300K pilot is over (at least for our life time), so get over it! I'll take my 155K, family time, and ample play time and be thankful for the opportunity I have.

Some of you think that if G4 and the other LCC weren't around, you would magically be back at pre 9/11 wages... just not the case.

Right there with you MD80, I wish my phone would ring.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1