Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : UK Bases

bigmacdaddy
01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I have been looking at UK based airlines for a while now and know Cathay has a UK base, but am putting my neck out a bit to see if some of you can help me out in my search. Are there any US sked/charter/cargo companies who have bases in the UK? Or are there any foreign companies who hire us pilots who also have UK bases? Trying to steer my career towards living in the UK. Kinda dreamy, but might as well see what is possible. Thanks to those who reply!

Spin
01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Do you have the right to live and work in the EU, and your JAA license?

cmac88
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Might I ask why you want to go live there?

Certainly not saying its bad.... I loved it.... just wondering

zondaracer
01-11-2011, 02:27 AM
You don't necessarily need a JAA license to fly out of the UK if the aircraft is not registered in an EASA/JAA country. But right to live and work will be the biggest obstacle.

MeLu
01-12-2011, 02:15 AM
have been looking at UK based airlines for a while now and know Cathay has a UK base, but am putting my neck out a bit to see if some of you can help me out in my search. Are there any US sked/charter/cargo companies who have bases in the UK? Or are there any foreign companies who hire us pilots who also have UK bases? Trying to steer my career towards living in the UK. Kinda dreamy, but might as well see what is possible. Thanks to those who reply!

Sounds as you are honest in working in UK. I can live you the contacts to CP got the friends out there, and if needed to my step capt brother. What you would need to do at current is convert your license that is for sure, or probably you would need to take additional courses. When you convert your license maybe you would need to take some additional course that is for sure. Of course as well no crime report in any of the countries you went to.This is the most important point, just spoke today on a telephone with my aunt a wife of a capt and she said you know Melu, if there was written complain by a gvt indicating certain facts of a person, then airlines may ask a person to live a cockpit for a while. Because the airlines at a time of a crisis shall not deal with such a behaviour while others need a job. So this is important point. I can write to my friends because London is my base. Yes, you are right UK base is the best one. I fly helicopters occasionally, not because I am " stupid" with a career is because I have a weaker heart and despite of all efforts I can receive such a sudden as mum said " nervous attacks" like being closed shut for the hours due to a fact of a weaker heart, I did not know about it. I write in a teenager way when I am away from Europe. Melu

Starlifter
01-12-2011, 06:32 AM
have been looking at UK based airlines for a while now and know Cathay has a UK base, but am putting my neck out a bit to see if some of you can help me out in my search. Are there any US sked/charter/cargo companies who have bases in the UK? Or are there any foreign companies who hire us pilots who also have UK bases? Trying to steer my career towards living in the UK. Kinda dreamy, but might as well see what is possible. Thanks to those who reply!

Sounds as you are honest in working in UK. I can live you the contacts to CP got the friends out there, and if needed to my step capt brother. What you would need to do at current is convert your license that is for sure, or probably you would need to take additional courses. When you convert your license maybe you would need to take some additional course that is for sure. Of course as well no crime report in any of the countries you went to.This is the most important point, just spoke today on a telephone with my aunt a wife of a capt and she said you know Melu, if there was written complain by a gvt indicating certain facts of a person, then airlines may ask a person to live a cockpit for a while. Because the airlines at a time of a crisis shall not deal with such a behaviour while others need a job. So this is important point. I can write to my friends because London is my base. Yes, you are right UK base is the best one. I fly helicopters occasionally, not because I am " stupid" with a career is because I have a weaker heart and despite of all efforts I can receive such a sudden as mum said " nervous attacks" like being closed shut for the hours due to a fact of a weaker heart, I did not know about it. I write in a teenager way when I am away from Europe. Melu

Wow!!! I'm sure there is a point buried in the above paragraph but I damn sure can't figure it out...

Lifter

zondaracer
01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Also, if you just want to fly UK registered aircraft without having to do the whole JAA conversion, it is possible if the following applies

The UK CAA will issue a licence restricted to G Registered aircraft if you meet the following criteria:

more than 3000 hours total time on aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
more than 1500 hours pilot in command on aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
type rated on an aircraft of more than 30,000kg AUW
more than 500 hours total time on the aircraft above
able to complete a flight test on the same aircraft (this can be potentially expensive)

MeLu
01-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Starlifter,

If bigmacdaddy needs a help then why not to help? When ones has friends with airlines at its own London base, he is frustrated about his situation at current. Very often it happens that one is resigning from the airlines because of a heart problems at the beginning. Yes my aunt a wife of a capt said the same. He does not sounds as a person who is looking to make a mess around while being employed within the airlines. I guess my aunt a wife of a capt was right yesterday on a phone, she said you know in Europe other then London base lets say people get bored of daily routines, and are basically looking for funs abroad like having thousands of loverins, are stealing and still think that they shall not be notified. Upon returning to Europe other then London ( it had never happened in London ) they keep again having the same kind of funs through the internet nothing for serious for funs like trying to explore the other country, it had been proved within a criminal department. When it comes to a main point like someone had been notified and a name appears at criminal department at once, then one is thinking about his life really and is being cut off immediately from the "exploration of the world". Then a company get to know that a person is not allowed to come to a country again caused a mess and has no choice as living a person behind for a while.So where is a responsibility?? Yes, really and aunt said so many young people in that area had completed their schools are smart and are out of job, and one person had brought a shame to a company and to others through his exploration of the world with the others if not acted alone. So why not to help someone that sounds normal is having a family and is trying to settle himself out of US? What is a problem to write to a friend to UK my base, I will get more information for him and live a contact on Saturday.

bigmacdaddy
01-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks all, I do not have a JAA, but researching the best place (and least expensive way) to get it. Starting a good job here in the states that will get me the heavy experience to get the CAA UK registered limit license, and am in no rush to leave this good job. I agree with getting a work visa. The UK points system will be an obstacle, but maybe it works better than I'm thinking. This is a long term goal for me, and for the family. Really my wife and I have been enamored with the possibility of living in the UK during our honeymoon years ago (I know, not the typical beach and sunshine, but it was amazing). My big idea and reason for asking with this forum is trying to find out if I can get hired by a US company who will base me in the UK. Not sure if the Cathay, Atlas companies would help sponsor a pilot to get a work visa, or if there is some other conditional permit with their bases, or if you're on your own. Thanks again everybody, Melu, thanks for your willingness to help out and get me in contact with a CP. As we all know it's who you know.

PCLCREW
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks all, I do not have a JAA, but researching the best place (and least expensive way) to get it. Starting a good job here in the states that will get me the heavy experience to get the CAA UK registered limit license, and am in no rush to leave this good job. I agree with getting a work visa. The UK points system will be an obstacle, but maybe it works better than I'm thinking. This is a long term goal for me, and for the family. Really my wife and I have been enamored with the possibility of living in the UK during our honeymoon years ago (I know, not the typical beach and sunshine, but it was amazing). My big idea and reason for asking with this forum is trying to find out if I can get hired by a US company who will base me in the UK. Not sure if the Cathay, Atlas companies would help sponsor a pilot to get a work visa, or if there is some other conditional permit with their bases, or if you're on your own. Thanks again everybody, Melu, thanks for your willingness to help out and get me in contact with a CP. As we all know it's who you know.

Atlas no longer has a base in London, and I doubt will ever again. With Cathay, aside from HKG they will not get you a work visa in a country you can't already legally work in. So if you are not a citizen of the UK, you can't be based in the UK. I asked the question directly to Cathay about the UK and Aussie.

zondaracer
01-13-2011, 03:32 AM
Atlas no longer has a base in London, and I doubt will ever again. With Cathay, aside from HKG they will not get you a work visa in a country you can't already legally work in. So if you are not a citizen of the UK, you can't be based in the UK. I asked the question directly to Cathay about the UK and Aussie.

Bulgaria was handing out citizenships out like candy. It is a EU country so you can actually live in the UK without UK citizenship.

If you need info on the full JAA conversion, let me know.

MeLu
01-15-2011, 04:53 AM
Melu, thanks for your willingness to help out and get me in contact with a CP. As we all know it's who you know.

All right here it is a first step for our Uk base. Please at first contact authority regarding the license at [email protected] or 01293 57 3700
Lets follow the steps since it will take a time of course. Then please contact Cathay Pacific ask for Dorm at a phone 44 20 883 48893 for the job offers what is possible or not when are they recruiting how long will it take and etc... what are the options at current and etc. she will know for sure . As for a visa as thought you are trying hard with your wife means honest intetions, I will contact my step uncle at the ministry. Yes, of course since I am in Asia with my parents now, ( as I have real weaker heart to fly professionally but I am a lady I started in Africa just helicopters with step brother capt) so we keep in touch on chats or emails as always gossiping. I think that if one really wishes to move then will move ahead slowly but will. For me as well discovering Europe is still fascinating like other parts. As entire life had been in Africa and then Asia and UK only. I just think that is one really wishes to move then will do so for sure. Must go to sleep now . Uk is normal in whole its sense and is great. All the time people are around, no need to worry, are kind. There is this sense of tradition and values, I will be in March in UK for a while. Also, when your kids are the university students they can study for less money then in US, of course because parents are working and are paying Eu taxes. Melu

bigmacdaddy
01-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks again everyone. Melu, thanks again for your willingness to help. I had never thought of getting any EU visa and working in the UK with that. I will definitely look into the possibilities. Something else I've been hearing is being able to TDY in the UK with the right company. If you can get a few months (I think 6 months is a max in the UK), then it might be the best of both worlds. Anyone had this experience? Liked or disliked?

MeLu
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
It is my pleasure to help and part of my nature. Please do research well, and you will get a visa, I am with my uncle in touch all the time who works at ministry. I will be in Uk in March.Now, a main point of all is that in UK, probably in US it is similar one must have a clear file. And even for the Eu citizens my aunt told me a wife of a capt , must bring a special "clear note " from his city police, that he was never being punished, or that a person name had never been registered within police computers . If there is a name then an application process is being cut off immediately. Please research well again, and do not focus the attention on a visa that much, if you are honest with your wife and kids, I would not do it never, since it brings along the additional worries. It does, one got a feeling like " not fitting in " or worse not " needed" it is not truth. Melu

MeLu
01-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Forgot for BigMac Daddy. As for a visa to UK you may get it at other uncle's office in Asia already spoke about it with other uncle. Once I said to uncle you know sometimes I wish to have American family the neighbors in Europe just because I guess I will always miss the chattings. There are many pilots that ended up at the Embassy.Please research well again our UK bases. I know sometimes its kind of hard for me to keep to a topic. I really think it would be great for you to end up in UK with your family as long as you have a clear file, probably all of us will end up back in London . I do not want to fly and stay at cockpit for 12hours despite of a license. I guess that family should stay together wherever they are going to. I do not get one thing here at all as for Asia the same my aunt a wife of Capt in UK, why someone can not really motivate himself to bring a wife like trying all the possible factors while already flying in one particular area. In Africa it never happened. Trying to use , more colonial ways of thinking like yes of course we can fly, but not without a family. Makes me tired and bored I do not get it . Do you get it?