Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commutair

westcoastflier
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
cant seem to find much about Commutair. Anyone have some advice. Interview gouge. Personal experience? Training? the good the bad.....:eek:

fjetter
04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
There's a pretty lengthy thread in the hiring news section....

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/54106-commutair.html

It probably has a lot of the answers you're looking for, most of which are from within the past few months.

NoBeta
04-28-2011, 12:12 AM
cant seem to find much about Commutair. Anyone have some advice. Interview gouge. Personal experience? Training? the good the bad.....:eek:

Welcome to the forums westcoastflier...... FYI I think the mods try to keep down on multiple/duplicate posts on the same/similar subjects...... I'm pretty sure they are going to say something along the lines of use the search function...... Anywhoo.......Welcome anyways:)

Steel Tiger
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Dont do it, and stay away. That's all you need to know unless you enjoy being kicked in the balls. If you enjoy being kicked in the balls and not haveing ANY QOL then C5 is the place for you.

westcoastflier
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
do tell me more. Id like to know everything before I make certain decisions....

Steel Tiger
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Its simple. Just think about anything that would make your QOL life better as a pilot. Well at Commut Air every month they find new ways to destroy those idea, and take away any remaining QOL. Followed by worst pay in the industry. Need I say more?

Crawl
04-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Its simple. Just think about anything that would make your QOL life better as a pilot. Well at Commut Air every month they find new ways to destroy those idea, and take away any remaining QOL. Followed by worst pay in the industry. Need I say more?

While I agree that the pay and QOL are pretty bad, I can't say that any of the other regionals are a whole lot better. At least at CommutAir you have the possibility of getting off reserve and holding a line pretty quick, especially in CLE. Not to mention the possibility of upgrading in a fraction of the time as the other regionals with over 3,000 pilots. In four months I've moved almost halfway up the FO side of the seniority list.

Currently negotiating our first contract, which may or may not significantly improve many of the sub-standard issues like pay, scheduling, benefits, etc. to at least semi-industry-standard status - in hopefully the not too distant future (within a year?).

It's a gamble, but there is potential for more growth, as the owner is continually looking to acquire more Q300's and expand the fleet. Along with that is the increased interest of mainline to utilize more turboprops, due to their fuel efficiency with the rising cost of oil. Does that mean they will push out the other regionals with 50 seat RJ's? Who knows. It's a crazy world, pick your poison!

LivinTheDream28
04-30-2011, 10:20 AM
While I agree that the pay and QOL are pretty bad, I can't say that any of the other regionals are a whole lot better. At least at CommutAir you have the possibility of getting off reserve and holding a line pretty quick, especially in CLE. Not to mention the possibility of upgrading in a fraction of the time as the other regionals with over 3,000 pilots. In four months I've moved almost halfway up the FO side of the seniority list.

Currently negotiating our first contract, which may or may not significantly improve many of the sub-standard issues like pay, scheduling, benefits, etc. to at least semi-industry-standard status - in hopefully the not too distant future (within a year?).

It's a gamble, but there is potential for more growth, as the owner is continually looking to acquire more Q300's and expand the fleet. Along with that is the increased interest of mainline to utilize more turboprops, due to their fuel efficiency with the rising cost of oil. Does that mean they will push out the other regionals with 50 seat RJ's? Who knows. It's a crazy world, pick your poison!

I find it interesting that everyone keeps talking majors cutting 50 seat RJs when they all have massive contracts that were signed fairly recently. Just last year CAL/UAL signed a 7 year deal, DAL still has 10 years to go. If the 50 seaters are going to be replaced by all these turboprops, its going to take a long, LONG time.

Systemized
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
I find it interesting that everyone keeps talking majors cutting 50 seat RJs when they all have massive contracts that were signed fairly recently. Just last year CAL/UAL signed a 7 year deal, DAL still has 10 years to go. If the 50 seaters are going to be replaced by all these turboprops, its going to take a long, LONG time.

Do you know of any links/detailed figures that would elaborate on which airlines have contracts with particular regionals, along with terms, lengths, and aircrafts being operated? I have found information on APC, and other websites like wikipedia concerning who codes shares with whom, and a few other details, but just wondering if there is more information out there for someone interested in analyzing the regional industry. Can anyone provide information on their current regional employer?

flyboyPH
05-03-2011, 07:35 AM
do tell me more. Id like to know everything before I make certain decisions....

Unless you enjoy eating mac and cheese and living with 4 roomates then got for it. Your pay is crap try $330 a week for a first year FO. If you like that then good for you. You'll be helping keep the pay rates low for everyone else.

Bill Lumberg
05-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Enjoy being a bottleneck at EWR! Even the Colgan Q400 guys want you out of their way...

Crawl
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Enjoy being a bottleneck at EWR! Even the Colgan Q400 guys want you out of their way...

...so much hate :confused:

Bill Lumberg
05-04-2011, 05:07 AM
...so much hate :confused:

No hate Crawl. Just an observation. I don't envy you guys for having to fly into the busy Sewark multiple times every day.

Are your Dashes pretty well equipped (i.e., FMS and EFIS) or are they the older Piedmont versions with pure analog?

Diver Driver
05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
No hate Crawl. Just an observation. I don't envy you guys for having to fly into the busy Sewark multiple times every day.

Are your Dashes pretty well equipped (i.e., FMS and EFIS) or are they the older Piedmont versions with pure analog?

EADI/EHSI, everything else is steam but there's dual FMS and we're RNAV apch approved.

johnso29
05-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Incorrect. Pinnacle's 50 seat contract is up in 2017, Comair will be down to 16 50 seaters in less then 2 years & ASA is done by 2020.

lamarlatrell
05-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Are you saying Commutair creates a bottleneck? I have rode to work with those guys numerous times, and have seen them running it pretty quick to the last minute. They chop and drop, and are flexible to whatever the controllers need. Just an observation.

featheredprop
05-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Lamarlatrell spot on observation. !! No he is making a statement about something he really doesnt know much about . I guess hell pass on the jumpseat if needed though . You wont find a better bunch of guys to fly with than at Commutair . Thats all I really have to add.

aibal
05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
EADI/EHSI, everything else is steam but there's dual FMS and we're RNAV apch approved.

The Heads Up Guidance System is pretty awesome too.

I don't think CommutAir is in anyones way. We go as fast as anyone else to short final. A lot of times faster. They almost always tell me not to pass the 737 landing on the parallel, lol. We get off the runway very quickly too, so I think that helps out. 11/29 Performance is also handy.

Systemized
05-04-2011, 05:08 PM
How long until the contract with CAL is up?

Diver Driver
05-04-2011, 06:08 PM
How long until the contract with CAL is up?

IIRC it is 2018.

LivinTheDream28
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM

I don't think CommutAir is in anyones way. We go as fast as anyone else to short final. A lot of times faster. They almost always tell me not to pass the 737 landing on the parallel, lol. We get off the runway very quickly too, so I think that helps out. 11/29 Performance is also handy.

Unless we're speed restricted we go 320 down to 10 and 250 to the marker. If you guys are going that fast, that's pretty impressive for a 200.

LivinTheDream28
05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Incorrect. Pinnacle's 50 seat contract is up in 2017, Comair will be down to 16 50 seaters in less then 2 years & ASA is done by 2020.

I was referring to ASA, so 9 years not 10 my bad. I hope im at least your FO by then anyway. After flying an RJ for 6 years, a guy can dream can't he? :)

2StgTurbine
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Unless we're speed restricted we go 320 down to 10 and 250 to the marker. If you guys are going that fast, that's pretty impressive for a 200.

How often can you do 250 to the marker at EWR?

Diver Driver
05-04-2011, 07:34 PM

250 to the marker in a CRJ?? I don't ever remember going that fast at the marker and slowing down in time when I was flying them. Then again, maybe I suck. :p

The Q200 can do about 230 (240 in a descent (clacker at about 242)) when being vectored, but in EWR, you'll be assigned 210 or 180 or something like that way out anyway so it is never a problem. Most of the time, we're being told to slow down, not speed up. Our ref speeds are roughly 90-112kts, but it'll do 140ish all the way down if we need it to, no problem.

LivinTheDream28
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
How often can you do 250 to the marker at EWR?

Not often they always have us all stacked up at 180. We do land on 11 pretty often tho. I agree I don't think anyone "gets in the way".

LivinTheDream28
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
250 to the marker in a CRJ?? I don't ever remember going that fast at the marker and slowing down in time when I was flying them. Then again, maybe I suck. :p

The Q200 can do about 230 (240 in a descent) when being vectored, but in EWR, you'll be assigned 210 or 180 or something like that way out anyway so it is never a problem. Most of the time, we're being told to slow down, not speed up. Our ref speeds are roughly 90-112kts, but it'll do 140ish all the way down if we need it to, no problem.

From what I've heard CRJs take a bit to slow down, I dunno I don't fly them. As far as the Embraers go we have a profile for a high speed ILS, which is 250 to the marker. Stabilized by 800 feet I believe. Point taken though, they always slow us up in EWR.

Diver Driver
05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
From what I've heard CRJs take a bit to slow down, I dunno I don't fly them. As far as the Embraers go we have a profile for a high speed ILS, which is 250 to the marker. Stabilized by 800 feet I believe. Point taken though, they always slow us up in EWR.

Gotcha, ya, the Canadian Reset Jet is impossible to slow down at times, didn't know you were referencing the ERJ. Thanks for the info, I don't know much about the Jungle Jet.

Av8tion
05-05-2011, 03:55 AM
Canadian Reset Jet

Thats a new one... I gotta remember that... sounds better than Climb Restricted Jet...

Luv2Rotate
05-05-2011, 06:56 AM

How are you told not to pass the 737 on the parallel? When landing Either the 4's or the 22's one side is for arrivals while the other side is for departures??? If you're landing 11 or 29 you still wouldn't be passing someone on the parallel. Please explain.:confused:

johnso29
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
I was referring to ASA, so 9 years not 10 my bad. I hope im at least your FO by then anyway. After flying an RJ for 6 years, a guy can dream can't he? :)

I'd be happy for you to be a fellow FO by then, even before it. :)

Plus, even though the ASA contract lasts that long the number of 50 seaters decreases dramatically over the last several years. I believe in the final year there are only 6 CRJ200's contracted for flying.

duvie
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
If you're young and willing to take QOL hits for possible quicker career progression, jump on it, if you're in your late 20s or 30s, consider an ASA/Pinnacle/SkyWest/Republic.

The fastest upgrades almost always come with the lowest QOL. Pick your poison, but don't complain on the forums later. Generally in life, you can't have your cake and eat it to.

Diver Driver
05-05-2011, 08:37 AM
How are you told not to pass the 737 on the parallel? When landing Either the 4's or the 22's one side is for arrivals while the other side is for departures??? If you're landing 11 or 29 you still wouldn't be passing someone on the parallel. Please explain.:confused:

That happens in Cleveland, not EWR.

Systemized
05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
-Which base is bigger CLE, or EWR?
-Which is more likely for a new hire?

jimmyladue
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Enter Content

astec
05-05-2011, 10:41 AM

I second the requested info.

thx

aibal
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM

When spacing issues arise one is often asked to sidestep to the parallel in EWR. The times this has happened to me the other airplane has configured while I haven't yet slowed due to assigned speed. Fly at EWR long enough and this will make sense to you.

Diver Driver
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM

CLE is currently larger. Classes have been split between the two, so you have an equal chance of getting either. That could all change as needed, so plan accordingly.

featheredprop
05-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Last 2 classes about 1/3 got EWR . CLE guys that just came out are getting more flying for now but things should be heating up for the summer ...Cant wait this job is a hoot !! Looking forward to KACK this summer !! Was coming into CLE with guys lined up on the TCAS like bowling pins and got sent around . Guess the anchor chain snapped as some would have you believe .... "maintain 180 to sasco " baby!!

beech_nut
05-08-2011, 07:52 PM
yes...it is a real hoot....for about the first month....

Steel Tiger
05-09-2011, 05:37 AM
spend a couple year at Commut Air and tell me how big of a "hoot" it still is.

usmc-sgt
05-09-2011, 07:41 AM
When spacing issues arise one is often asked to sidestep to the parallel in EWR. The times this has happened to me the other airplane has configured while I haven't yet slowed due to assigned speed. Fly at EWR long enough and this will make sense to you.

"Often" may be a bit of an overstatement. "occasionally" or "sometimes" or "has" happened is closer to the truth. Newark is a delicate system, they don't like to mess with routine.

featheredprop
05-11-2011, 03:44 AM
tell me one regional thats perfect guys ....Beats sitting in my recliner watching Maury or Springer . The economy just grew by 240,000 jobs 60,000 at Mac Donalds ..need I say more ?

beech_nut
05-11-2011, 05:39 AM
I guess its nice to see someone who can look at C5 as fun. Those days have long since passed for me.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1