Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : low platelet count

Fluffo
09-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone know if having a low platelet count can affect your FAA medical?

xtwapilot
09-15-2006, 05:26 AM
it's not going to affect your FAA medical as they don't take blood so they would never know, however, it can affect your health if you get cut on the job and lose excessive blood because your body can't clot or has a delay clotting.

xtwapilot

rickair7777
09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
You need professional advice, not internet chat on this kind of issue. Your personal doctor probably doesn't know how the FAA aeromedical stuff works, and he might inadvertently make your situation more difficult if he tries to deal with the feds.

These guys specialize in that sort of thing, search their site, they have a lot of free info available without paying for a consult. If you do need the consultation, they are very good at pilot medical issues. I would check with them BEFORE you bring this to the attention of the FAA.

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

Fluffo
09-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Ok, Thanks for the info.

Trash Hauler
10-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone know if having a low platelet count can affect your FAA medical?

How low it is matters.
It may not effect your ticket but it can be very dangerous.

My wife had a condition called idiopatic thrombocytopenia(ITP)-translation-low platlets.
They do not know whay causes it(THAT"S the idiopatiic part)
She was on steroids for awhile and that didn't take care of the problem-for some people it does.
Sometimes it just goes away.

In our caseThey removed her spleen and poof all gone. Evidently when you have this there are antibodies on your platlets and your spleen being the good filter it is -- sees that and nukes them. The surgery was done orthroscopically and recovery was fast.

A hemotologist is the doc who handles blood disorders.

Low platlets can cause bleeding --not good.

I'm not a doctor I just play one on TV --LOL::rolleyes: :rolleyes: