Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Flyin4Delta
09-18-2006, 08:06 AM
I just returned from Delta Connection Academy's tour. I was not totally impressed. But they did have several aircraft and over 300 students. I have read and read sooooooo many posts, but yet I have not been able to see any DCA grads post or any current students of DCA post. If there is anyone that has a direct relation to DCA please help me and other future pilots and please let us know what the truth is. Is DCA what they claim to be, can they give you what you need? I understand money is a very large factor in the negative perspective, but other than the cost, what are the ups and what are the downs?

rickair7777
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
The reality is that the majority of the "academy" (and ERAU) grads get out into the real aviation/airline world and propmtly realize they've been scammed to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. They work in airplanes next to perfectly skilled, debt-free pilots who did their training at the local field for 1/3 the cost. They are usually a tad bitter about this and probably don't want to talk about it...

When you read positive posts, look carefully and you will notice that the vast majority are authored by STUDENTS or recent grads of these institutions, not experienced airline pilots. These folks haven't had the brutal reality shoved up their butts yet, but they are probably starting to suspect something...so they may have strong denial reactions.

The main downside is as you said, money. Would you pay $150K for a porsche? Maybe. How about a chevy astrovan? All flight training is of the chevy astrovan variety...some astrovans are well maintained, even pimped out, some look like crap but run great, others have a shiny new paint job but are worn-out junk...but they are all still ASTROVANS. Some schools can get people to pay huge bucks for the astrovan by TELLING them them that it is really a porsche...the problem is that most entry level pilots have never seen or driven a "porsche" or an "astrovan" so they can be sucked right in...

BTW, No amount of money can buy the porsche, the only way to get it is to compete for and win a military flight slot.

JoeyMeatballs
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
If you have a lot of money and want to be around aviation throuygh college go for it, but if you are low on funds and don;t want to spend most of you rlife paying them back Riddle is a waste, the FAA is the governing authority for licenses, so wether you got it at Riddle or a part 61 flight school, a rating is a rating, Riddle capitalizes on "we make airline pilot's" blah blah blah, its rediculous, go get a degree at a 4 yr school and live the noirmal college life, I got a degree in history spent 9 months at Colgan and start Expressjet training in two weeks, besdies making a photo copy of my diploma no other questions were askes about college

Flyin4Delta
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
If you have a lot of money and want to be around aviation throuygh college go for it, but if you are low on funds and don;t want to spend most of you rlife paying them back Riddle is a waste, the FAA is the governing authority for licenses, so wether you got it at Riddle or a part 61 flight school, a rating is a rating, Riddle capitalizes on "we make airline pilot's" blah blah blah, its rediculous, go get a degree at a 4 yr school and live the noirmal college life, I got a degree in history spent 9 months at Colgan and start Expressjet training in two weeks, besdies making a photo copy of my diploma no other questions were askes about college

Ok, I have a 4yr degree.... and I really have no clue what to do. I have read everywhere about how bad these flight schools are. You mentioned Colgan. What made you choose Colgan? What did the application require you to have to be hired by Expressjet and what did you acutally have? Does having a degree actually help? :confused:

Flyin4Delta
09-18-2006, 12:24 PM
How about this? http://skymates.com/course-all-inclusive-multi.htm

JoeyMeatballs
09-18-2006, 12:56 PM
to be honest I really am not sure about those I didnt go that route, I did most of my flying at a part 141 local flight school in Jersey, then ended up instructing there, very good school. I guess if you are older the quicker the better, how old are you? Colgan was the first that hired me so I took it and I wanted expressjet from the get go so I knew some time at Colgan would def get me an interview with xjet

Flyin4Delta
09-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I am 22yrs old....

ctd57
09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Just go to whatever flight school fits you the best. My buddy went to DCA and nothing good to say about it, but that is just him. He advised me not to go there because of the amount of debt he was in. He advised ATP, I went there and have no regrets. But like I said before, whatever fits your schedule is the best for you.

Flyin4Delta
09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Just go to whatever flight school fits you the best. My buddy went to DCA and nothing good to say about it, but that is just him. He advised me not to go there because of the amount of debt he was in. He advised ATP, I went there and have no regrets. But like I said before, whatever fits your schedule is the best for you.

How long did it take you to get what you needed? How many hours did you come out with?(mulit,tt,exc.) What airline are you flying for?

Thanks
~Taylor

ctd57
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
I did ATP's 90 day program in ATL. I finished in 88 days, and that included about 10-14 days that I had off due to scheduling of checkrides and CFI school. I started with 85 hours and finished with around 240. About 130 multi. I completed the program in July 05 and started instructing at the end of Oct 05. I now have 650 hours of which over 500 is multi. It isn't a bad job even though the pay sucks, because of the multi time you get. I had never heard of ATP until and airline buddy of mine who went to DCA told me to come to ATP because he had a bunch of buds who came here. It is a great program, I would recommend it to anyone. If you have any other questions, just post or PM me. You can set up tours of ATP if you want by calling 800-allatps, but if you do it in Jax, just remember this, Jax is not a good example of how ATP operates. Alot of ATP instructors don't like the Jax location themselves. The instructors are in my opinion, are hotheaded and think that they are special. Come on, don't foll anyone, you fly a seminole. And they go around quoting Top Gun, which is really bad, and coming from the Naval Aviation myself, found it quite amusing. So take it with a grain of salt, no other location is like Jax

atpwannabe
09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Flyin4Delta:

I totally agree with ctd57. As soon as I can finalize my financial & fiscal options, it's off to ATP for me. The amount of multi time you get is priceless.

I've had to postpone my initial training, but my eyes are still on the prize. ;)

atp

cubanfiredawg
09-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Hey atpwanabe,

I was in your shoes about three months ago. I went to the DCA dog and pony show, and was not too impressed. Good training but too many hoops to go through. Like having to build time to get your MEL, and other things like that.
I then went to visit an ALL ATPS location. Not so many dogs and ponies and still great training. And get this HALF as much as DCA!! Also your housing is included in your tuition! I've just completed the first part of training, and it was great. I'm now going on XC's all over the place. Fl, AL, GA, TX, and others. In the one and a half months I've been here, carriers already hired three of the instructors. From what I've seen you could get hired with as little as three months of instructing. It all depends on the number of students you have. Feel free to email me @ [email protected] if you have any questions.

Flyin4Delta
09-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Hey atpwanabe,

I was in your shoes about three months ago. I went to the DCA dog and pony show, and was not too impressed. Good training but too many hoops to go through. Like having to build time to get your MEL, and other things like that.
I then went to visit an ALL ATPS location. Not so many dogs and ponies and still great training. And get this HALF as much as DCA!! Also your housing is included in your tuition! I've just completed the first part of training, and it was great. I'm now going on XC's all over the place. Fl, AL, GA, TX, and others. In the one and a half months I've been here, carriers already hired three of the instructors. From what I've seen you could get hired with as little as three months of instructing. It all depends on the number of students you have. Feel free to email me @ [email protected] if you have any questions.

I was told the housing with ATP was not very good, that you house in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other guys. I also was told that unless you can make it to be one of their instructors you cant afford to get the hours anywhere else, therefore failing to accomplish the goal of building time. How true is this, coming from a student at ATP?

ctd57
09-20-2006, 06:56 AM
I was told the housing with ATP was not very good, that you house in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other guys. I also was told that unless you can make it to be one of their instructors you cant afford to get the hours anywhere else, therefore failing to accomplish the goal of building time. How true is this, coming from a student at ATP?

The housing is a 2 bedroom apartment and you possibly will share it will others. But all it is designed for is a crash pad. You sleep, eat and [email protected]#t there, alot of your time is spent at the airport, and that housing is for 90 day program guys only. 3 of my former students are not instructing at ATP and building time just fine. Look at how many other CFIs out there get hired at the regionals and never had anything to do with ATP. When you complete the career pilot program at ATP, you will have more than 100 hours. Most regionals require 100 hours, some are a little more. If you don't instruct for ATP, you career is not over. ATP just gives all that multi time which you can't beat when going for your first regional job.

LAfrequentflyer
09-21-2006, 06:57 AM
ATP is a stepping stone to the next rung in the aviation ladder.

I've done a lot of research - you can't find a better deal than ATP. Their rep is excellent. You always have the oddball that got jacked. At ATP 99% of the time those people did it to themselves.

-LAFF

ctd57
09-21-2006, 07:24 AM
ATP is a stepping stone to the next rung in the aviation ladder.

I've done a lot of research - you can't find a better deal than ATP. Their rep is excellent. You always have the oddball that got jacked. At ATP 99% of the time those people did it to themselves.

-LAFF

I agree with that 100%. You really get what you paid for, there are no hidden costs. ATP isn't perfect, but the program works, and you get valuable multi time and at good cost. Yes there are people who have had a bad experience at ATP, but the success stories outway the failures by an astronomical figure.

GDLBEN33
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, I am getting ready to go to ATP (ATL) in Nov. What should I expect my daily schedule to be like? Im doing the 90 day program. I already have my PPL. Just curious as to have much flying is actually done in one day.

POPA
09-22-2006, 10:13 AM
One thing to look out for: A guy in my new-hire class went the DCA route, and they wouldn't let him instruct anything unless he got his MEI. They also wouldn't let him instruct if he went anywhere else for his instructor training.

ctd57
09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Just out of curiosity, I am getting ready to go to ATP (ATL) in Nov. What should I expect my daily schedule to be like? Im doing the 90 day program. I already have my PPL. Just curious as to have much flying is actually done in one day.

You can expect to be at the airport everyday. I had about 10-12 days off during my 90 day program. I finished 88 days from the day I started. I instruct now for ATP, and did the program in '05 in ATL. Your PVT ME will most likely be scheduled a week after the day you start. During your instrument training, there will be more sim than flight. Days can be relatively short or more than 8 hours. It all depends on how well you are learning the material, what phase you are in, weather, and your checkride schedule.

POPA, what and who are you talking about?

JesseSW
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow..what happened to SkyHigh? I was almost positive he would have jumped all over this thread by now.

ATP all the way in my opinion over DCA. DCA is considered a joke by most pilots I've talked to. It is just too expensive to justify the training you could get elsewhere. Basically you are paying for the name Delta. (on the cusp of Chapter 11) Flight Safety and ATP are my two top recommendations. Both are expensive but if you want the fast track , 60k-90k is the norm these days (without living expenses).
If you are unsure at all about being a pilot, my personal recommendation is to get your ppl through your FBO and then reassess the situation.

ctd57
09-22-2006, 03:51 PM
ATP probably isn't the cheapest, but it will get you headed in the right direction and in a timely manner. The planes are reliable and you really do get what you pay for.

Flyin4Delta
09-23-2006, 08:38 PM
OK so now I am looking into Flight Saftey........???? Any comments, suggestions, thoughts?

LAfrequentflyer
09-24-2006, 04:57 AM
FS is more expensive than ATP. At the end of the day you'll have the same plastic FAA certifications...

-LAFF

Flyin4Delta
09-25-2006, 05:24 AM
FS is more expensive than ATP. At the end of the day you'll have the same plastic FAA certifications...

-LAFF

OK... If money was not the MAIN issue, but keeping in mind money always can cause a problem. Where would be the BEST place be to go with the most ease, comfort and best instructors, while still teaching you to be safe and be a good pilot? Another thing is the school needs to have good contacts and records with placing pilots into the better regionals. I am about to leave for DCA by Oct 15 if I can't find anything else any better. So PLEASE anyone and EVERYONE please express your opinion and reason why you are picking that school over the others.
Thank you!

de727ups
09-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Many smaller schools can do what you need in a safe manner. I'm thinking you're only considering big academies who tout their placement (Especially if you're considering DCA).

Placement is marketing fluff. Anyone can get their ratings, build their experience, get a job, and move up the ladder without placement programs. It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is.

How many schools have you actually visited?

JesseSW
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Unless there is some sudden urgency to start your flight training next month, I would recommend waiting for one or two months to research different schools thoughoughly and if possible, visit as many as possible. The time you spend now making a well thought out decision will pay off in devidends down the road. Something this important and expensive should never be rushed into. You should never buy a house or a car rushed for the same reason because it becomes impulsive and prone to error. A good pilot has to take new information in and adjust his/her flying while always thinking ahead of the plane. Right now you have been given a lot of new information and I think you could benifit from thinking over all you options again. Pilots have to make the Go/NoGo decision all the time. Consider this your first of many to come. I looked into Delta in the beginning just like many other pilots have and I'll be the first to tell you they appear quite impressive on paper and on that dvd they ship out to everyone. DCA has one of the most effective marketing teams I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong just now I checked the website and they say that 25 instructors have been hired since June 06. What they don't tell you is how many didn't. If those numbers are accurate then I'll be the first to congratulate them for making it. Every school says they are #1 in airline placement. So who's telling the truth? Delta's slogan is that being owned by "Delta" makes all the difference. I don't think many pilots flying for the airlines would agree with that statement entirely to the extent that would justify taking on a monster loan. Many schools promise an airline interview, this is in no way the same as promising a job. Keep in mind that after getting hired (hopefully) by the regionals you are going to be living pretty tight for a while ($15,000-$30,000) for a couple years. The reason why many pilots stress not going to the most expensive school is because the idea of paying off that loan is a realistic concern weather you land a job or not, you still have to pay it off. There was a guy on this forum who was considering declaring personal bankrupcy because he couldn't afford his student loans. So the question is would you rather pay off $150,000 in debt or $65,000. Both are psychotic amounts to be in debted to by the way but unless you go through the military there are little alternatives to earning your Airline Transport Pilot rating debt free. To put it into perspective, Medical School is about $100,000 for 4 years of school. DCA is $150,000 for a year and a half. And I think that is without health insurance coverage.
Bottom line is this. The F.A.A. has specific qualifications for getting your lisence so each school isn't that far off from one another. Some might have better planes and pay their CFIs better but in the end they all teach from the same book practically and follow Bernoulli's principle.
I would recommend taking one or two months off and not rushing into ANY school without making 100% sure it is the right one for you. Just think of it as your pre-flight check. You are just making sure it is airworthy before you entrust your life with it. I hope you make it kid and see you holding short of the active one day soon.

Remember the the golden rule of flying: Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate...in that order.

de727ups
09-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Amen to the above.

I bet those DCA recruiters don't use any pressure in getting to think you gotta make a quick decision...

LAfrequentflyer
09-25-2006, 02:43 PM
OK... If money was not the MAIN issue, but keeping in mind money always can cause a problem. Where would be the BEST place be to go with the most ease, comfort and best instructors, while still teaching you to be safe and be a good pilot? Another thing is the school needs to have good contacts and records with placing pilots into the better regionals. I am about to leave for DCA by Oct 15 if I can't find anything else any better. So PLEASE anyone and EVERYONE please express your opinion and reason why you are picking that school over the others.
Thank you!

What ever you do - don't go to DCA....ATP should be your 1st choice. Debt is not a good thing to have on your back. It can kill you.

-LAFF

Flyin4Delta
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Unless there is some sudden urgency to start your flight training next month, I would recommend waiting for one or two months to research different schools thoughoughly and if possible, visit as many as possible. The time you spend now making a well thought out decision will pay off in devidends down the road. Something this important and expensive should never be rushed into. You should never buy a house or a car rushed for the same reason because it becomes impulsive and prone to error. A good pilot has to take new information in and adjust his/her flying while always thinking ahead of the plane. Right now you have been given a lot of new information and I think you could benifit from thinking over all you options again. Pilots have to make the Go/NoGo decision all the time. Consider this your first of many to come. I looked into Delta in the beginning just like many other pilots have and I'll be the first to tell you they appear quite impressive on paper and on that dvd they ship out to everyone. DCA has one of the most effective marketing teams I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong just now I checked the website and they say that 25 instructors have been hired since June 06. What they don't tell you is how many didn't. If those numbers are accurate then I'll be the first to congratulate them for making it. Every school says they are #1 in airline placement. So who's telling the truth? Delta's slogan is that being owned by "Delta" makes all the difference. I don't think many pilots flying for the airlines would agree with that statement entirely to the extent that would justify taking on a monster loan. Many schools promise an airline interview, this is in no way the same as promising a job. Keep in mind that after getting hired (hopefully) by the regionals you are going to be living pretty tight for a while ($15,000-$30,000) for a couple years. The reason why many pilots stress not going to the most expensive school is because the idea of paying off that loan is a realistic concern weather you land a job or not, you still have to pay it off. There was a guy on this forum who was considering declaring personal bankrupcy because he couldn't afford his student loans. So the question is would you rather pay off $150,000 in debt or $65,000. Both are psychotic amounts to be in debted to by the way but unless you go through the military there are little alternatives to earning your Airline Transport Pilot rating debt free. To put it into perspective, Medical School is about $100,000 for 4 years of school. DCA is $150,000 for a year and a half. And I think that is without health insurance coverage.
Bottom line is this. The F.A.A. has specific qualifications for getting your lisence so each school isn't that far off from one another. Some might have better planes and pay their CFIs better but in the end they all teach from the same book practically and follow Bernoulli's principle.
I would recommend taking one or two months off and not rushing into ANY school without making 100% sure it is the right one for you. Just think of it as your pre-flight check. You are just making sure it is airworthy before you entrust your life with it. I hope you make it kid and see you holding short of the active one day soon.

Remember the the golden rule of flying: Aviate, Navigate, then Communicate...in that order.

Thank you for your suggestions and guidance. I am trying to take things slow and look at every angle I can think of. I am leaning away from DCA now, simply because of too much sales pitch, somthing is not right and I am not interested in dropping that kind of a debt for somthing that I can earn somewhere else.

Flyin4Delta
09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
What ever you do - don't go to DCA....ATP should be your 1st choice. Debt is not a good thing to have on your back. It can kill you.

-LAFF

Who do you fly for? If you don't mind me asking....

LAfrequentflyer
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't fly for anyone. Just have a PPL. I am however interested in getting into aviation after I retire from the AF. I've done a lot of research on flight schools / training academies.

-LAFF

Flyin4Delta
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
as much as i hate to say, i am leaning more in the direction of ATP. Mainly because of the Multi hours they give.... and the housing and utilities are free during the training. the cost is more reasonable than the others. The ONLY concerns are, the course is VERY fast and how likely is one to become an instructor for them? Is it possible to put a SAFE and KNOWLEDGEABLE pilot out in that short of time?:confused:

LAfrequentflyer
09-25-2006, 05:32 PM
You will be qualified per FAA regs to CFI / be employed as a commercial pilot doing any number of things...Most likely , you'll CFI to build the hours to get the time needed to move up another rung on the aviation ladder...

As far as being safe and knowledgeable pilot - that doesn't happen overnight. Itís something you have to work on daily. Being safe is more a mind-set, IMHO. Knowledge, IHMO, something gained over years - a journey never quite completed - by working the books / flying techniques / listening to others more experienced. You know the saying - you're never too old to learn...Just have an open mind and don't let someone force you to do something you don't want to or understand.

-LAFF

ctd57
09-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Pilot judgement is something that comes with experiece like LA said. Where do you live, you can set up a tour with ATP at anyone of their locations. If you have any questions, PM me or post.

Flyin4Delta
09-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Pilot judgement is something that comes with experiece like LA said. Where do you live, you can set up a tour with ATP at anyone of their locations. If you have any questions, PM me or post.

OK thank you

fludy12
10-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I just returned from Delta Connection Academy's tour. I was not totally impressed. But they did have several aircraft and over 300 students. I have read and read sooooooo many posts, but yet I have not been able to see any DCA grads post or any current students of DCA post. If there is anyone that has a direct relation to DCA please help me and other future pilots and please let us know what the truth is. Is DCA what they claim to be, can they give you what you need? I understand money is a very large factor in the negative perspective, but other than the cost, what are the ups and what are the downs?

No, do NOT do the Delta Connection Academy in Sanford, FL (just north of Orlando). They are WAAAAY over priced and their fleet is old and beat up. Add on hurricanes and summer thunderstorms and you'd find youself flying a whole LOT less than what they'll throw at you on the "free" tour, if you do it. Trust me, I did my CFI/II there and made it through the Standz class and was hired as an instructor. I did it for a couple of months, but at $10/hr, I just couldn't make it and, thankfully, soon after a much, much better (lucrative) opportunity arose. At DCA, you'd have no fun in spending a 10 hour day having flights cancelled for weather/maintenance and doing paper work and not making a friggin' dime. $10/hr is only for flight, sim, and limited ground work (that may have changed a little since I was there last year as they were pushing for their first raise in something like 15 years). Plus, the management/bean counters are complete buffoons. And that's not just from me. Ask any other instructor that been there at least a few months. They are all treated like complete crap and DCA constantly holds "the B/S guaranteed interview" over their heads. Basically, if you stand up for anything that's right or would improve quality of life/operations, be prepared to have your head shot off... Also, you do NOT need the "guaranteed interview"...just put your time in and apply when you reach the required mins...you'll get the interview just fine. You are severely mistaken if you think DCA guarantees or would promise you a spot at a regional--read their propaganda again closely. Not the case at all...only the interview is "somewhat" guaranteed and that sometimes comes a LONG time after you've already met their flight instructing minimums (600 single and 200 multi dual given--some guys weren't getting interviews until 1200+ hours). You'll get the interview, but it's up to YOU to get hired and make it through FO taining.

Clear enough for ya?

tomahawk
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
"Plus, the management/bean counters are complete buffoons. And that's not just from me. Ask any other instructor that been there at least a few months. They are all treated like complete crap and DCA constantly holds "the B/S guaranteed interview" over their heads. Basically, if you stand up for anything that's right or would improve quality of life/operations, be prepared to have your head shot off... "

Actually there have been a lot of changes here. We have a new president here and some new managers. The new president is a senior VP at Delta and the chief pilot at Delta. He is a really great person and the CFI's really like him. He has a lot of plans to change things here and many of them are in the works!

CAPTAINxJSB
10-02-2006, 02:03 PM
i started atp without knowing what a freakin Yolk or a rudder was....now i have an interview with skywest!! go with atp...the price is right...its set up right....best of all you get jet time...no other school does that!! what others have 2 citations for there career students to fly! not dca! DCA Bends evrybody over...the question is are you gonna TAKE it!!

LAfrequentflyer
10-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Good job...You got what you paid for. I wish I gone down your road instead of wasting time / money and been frustrated at several FBOs before I was able to get my PPL...

ATP is the way to go...Which school did you attend? I hear Atlanta is one of the better places- of course there are several other locations that have good reps (Dallas / Houston come to mind...)

-LAFF

tomahawk
10-03-2006, 04:23 AM
"best of all you get jet time...no other school does that!! what others have 2 citations for there career students to fly! not dca! DCA Bends evrybody over...the question is are you gonna TAKE it!!"

No offenses.... But I don't think 3 hours sitting in the right seat in a Citation isn't really going to amount to much when getting hired at an airline. It is fine to sit in it and say "wow, I flew in a citation." whooopppeee!

ctd57
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I was a student at ATP and now work at ATP, and 3 hours in a citation does nothing for your resume. But ATP is a good school and has really good programs, I would recommend it to anyone.

fludy12
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
"Plus, the management/bean counters are complete buffoons. And that's not just from me. Ask any other instructor that been there at least a few months. They are all treated like complete crap and DCA constantly holds "the B/S guaranteed interview" over their heads. Basically, if you stand up for anything that's right or would improve quality of life/operations, be prepared to have your head shot off... "

Actually there have been a lot of changes here. We have a new president here and some new managers. The new president is a senior VP at Delta and the chief pilot at Delta. He is a really great person and the CFI's really like him. He has a lot of plans to change things here and many of them are in the works!

Yeah, but is slimy Bob Conklin (think that's the right last name--the super slick customer service guy immediately on the left in the OPS building), Bill Leech, John O'brien and Pete Balistrieri still there?

Those hosebags and others made the place unbearable for the most part... Lee Webb was another crusty old, bitter, azzhole as well...

fludy12
10-04-2006, 04:37 AM
I was a student at ATP and now work at ATP, and 3 hours in a citation does nothing for your resume. But ATP is a good school and has really good programs, I would recommend it to anyone.

CTD...I like your avatar. Please tell me about your affiliation with the T-2 Buckeye Navy jet trainer.

ToiletDuck
10-04-2006, 05:26 AM
I'd just say go to local airfield and start buying block time. It's a long process so don't think it will happen tomorrow. It's what you'd imagine becoming an actor is like. You hear of all these people who hold down random jobs while they do their flying. Or join the military. I know it sounds bad but I work with military pilots all day and night. I basically live the military life now. And it's not bad at all. I'm trying to join some reserve unit. I'd go full time but I'd rather just fight when they need me and then fly a bunch of different aircraft when I'm not busy with them :)

ctd57
10-04-2006, 08:48 AM
CTD...I like your avatar. Please tell me about your affiliation with the T-2 Buckeye Navy jet trainer.

I trained in the T-2C. I used to be a Naval Flight Officer.

fludy12
10-04-2006, 09:53 AM
I trained in the T-2C. I used to be a Naval Flight Officer.

Cool. I flew SH-60B Seahawks...

ctd57
10-04-2006, 10:39 AM
You were a pilot? All the pilots from my API and OCS classes got helos. Where were you based?

fludy12
10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
You were a pilot? All the pilots from my API and OCS classes got helos. Where were you based?

Did T-34's in Corpus Christi, TX, sea tour in Mayport, FL, and flight instructor in Pensacola (Milton), FL.

ctd57
10-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Nice, are you out now?

fludy12
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Nice, are you out now?

Yeppers. The whole LAMPS thing (the community) didn't exactly do it for me. They're basically like the shoes and eat their own. Basically, just flying SWO's. I tried to switch to another platform, but they weren't letting anyone do that because they didn't have enough pilots. Hmmm, wonder why...I saw guys leave left and right.

fludy12
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Nice, are you out now? Did you instruct in T-34s or TH-57s. If you instructed in TH-57s, did you know a guy named Kyle Lambert?

I did 57s in HT-8. Lambert sounds familiar, but I can't place it. I instructed from April 2000 until September 2002. Was an HT student around the last part of 95. Got winged Feb 06.

What's your story?

ctd57
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
He was there in '04. I was an SNFO at NASP. I wanted a pilot transition and found out that it was never going to happen. So I got out and I am now in the reserves as a LT. I flew T-6, T-39, and T-2s. I hated sitting in the back. Now I am a flight instructor with ATP, and I start at Pinnacle Oct 30.

fludy12
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
He was there in '04. I was an SNFO at NASP. I wanted a pilot transition and found out that it was never going to happen. So I got out and I am now in the reserves as a LT. I flew T-6, T-39, and T-2s. I hated sitting in the back. Now I am a flight instructor with ATP, and I start at Pinnacle Oct 30.

Cool deal. I'm in the IRR as a LCDR. Good luck at Pinnacle. I actually was hired by Pinnacle last year, but hadn't started training. They axed me along with a bunch of other new hires because some deal with a new CRJ order fell through and they subsequently didn't need the new crews. Never got the full story on that one, just an email saying don't bother to show up. Really classy...not even a friggin' phone call...

ctd57
10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Hopefully nothing like that happens. I'm looking forward to getting started doing some 121 flying. I have heard good and bad about Pinnacle, but you hear that about every regional. I am just looking forward to moving in a new direction in my aviaiton career.

thestaton
10-20-2006, 06:06 AM
ctd57:

I had a good friend at ATP the same time as you. Had a few questions but it won't let me PM you so I'll wait.

ctd57
10-20-2006, 06:49 AM
ctd57:

I had a good friend at ATP the same time as you. Had a few questions but it won't let me PM you so I'll wait.

Go ahead, shoot! Who was your friend?:cool:

SOTB!!
10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd just say go to local airfield and start buying block time.

When you say block time, what do you mean? I wonder if the aero club here on base does this.

atpwannabe
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
ctd57:

Just read your post. Best wishes and as always...blue skies.:cool: Maybe we'll see each other out there one day.

atp

Flyin4Delta
01-23-2007, 09:37 PM
ATP is the school that I chose to attend. As a follow up, just a little info for other future pilots looking for a school. It is a VERY good idea to look at what ATP has to offer and compare. I looked at a lot of different schools and no one could beat the multi hours and price and housing of ATP. Compare for yourself! :D

jackspat2
01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I would like to go to ATP. I've looked around and it seems like the best. I'm getting my degree in Aerospace engineering and I want to take off a quarter and my summer vacation to take that 3 month course at ATP. And it's convenient. I live only 25 miles away. Hopefully be able to afford it next year. I want to go to the one in Riverside, CA.

LAfrequentflyer
01-29-2007, 10:32 AM
ATP is the school that I chose to attend. As a follow up, just a little info for other future pilots looking for a school. It is a VERY good idea to look at what ATP has to offer and compare. I looked at a lot of different schools and no one could beat the multi hours and price and housing of ATP. Compare for yourself! :D

Not a problem...Enjoy your time at ATP...I'll be there in a few years...I love it when people make the right choice...

-LAFF

MSRVPILOT
07-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Stay away from RAA thats all I KNOW

da_flyn_hawyn
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I've gone to both DCA and ATP, and I liked both even though they are a different like night and day. DCA will literally try to squeeze all of your money out of ya, but they probably have one of the best educations however if your looking to put a down payment on a house think again. They might quote you at 70k or 60k, but in actuality you will end up paying close to 90k-100k and when they get their new cirrus on line it will jump to at least 120k. I still live right next to DCA and have lots of friends who are there. I left because I couldn't pay that much money. So I went to ATP. ATP is a very cheap, quick and efficient school. Hands down I would have to say that DCA has the better education, but you'll be doing the same thing anywhere just at ATP you'll get more multi time. If you need to know more, let me know I can give you the run down on anything at ATP or DCA. I would suggest DCA for your private, instrument and then the rest at ATP because at DCA you'll get a great basis of aviation and then ATP will be easier for ya. But keep in mind you'll pay an arm and a leg at DCA so it might just be better to go to ATP.

WmuGrad07
08-06-2007, 03:53 PM
One of my instructors at WMU did all of his training at ATP and he was my favorite person to fly with. Now he's got a job at AE, all done (PPL-MEI and time building at WMU to getting an airline job) in about 2 years. I'd say it's a good program as long as you get a CFI job to build time.

himalay
12-15-2017, 10:40 AM
to be honest I really am not sure about those I didnt go that route, I did most of my flying at a part 141 local flight school in Jersey, then ended up instructing there, very good school. I guess if you are older the quicker the better, how old are you? Colgan was the first that hired me so I took it and I wanted expressjet from the get go so I knew some time at Colgan would def get me an interview with xjet

Which school please?

Pokeysrider
12-15-2017, 04:39 PM
Todayís winner for thread necropsy: asking a question on a ten year old thread!
Which school please?

rickair7777
12-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Which school please?

That was ten years ago, and joeymeatballs is long gone from here.

MadmanX2
12-16-2017, 10:22 AM
And Delta Connection Academy changed names to Aerosim Flight Academy somewhere around 2010.....

kingsnake2
12-17-2017, 08:45 AM
And Delta Connection Academy changed names to Aerosim Flight Academy somewhere around 2010.....

And now to L-3 Flight Academy (or something like that). They got bought this year.