Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hello all, new here

astec
10-02-2006, 07:56 PM
OK, im 16, and im on my way to my solo in a few months, then my PPL probably in a few months after. I would like someone to point me into the right direction. I would like to go to Embry, but with all the bad talk ive heard about it, im rethinking. Can someone kinda of point me in a direction towards getting hired by a regional Airline, like XJET. Ther my fav, but yea. Ive been reading about APT, and there 60 and 90 day things seem good, but sketchy. Has anyone done these? are they worth it, and what are the requiremnts.

Thanx guys, im only a Junior in Hgh School, but I have a lot of aviation Knowledge, and i wanna USE IT!!!!

If any XJET pilots have a messenger, which i doubt, could you PM me, thanx, or anyone that has some info.

Bye.

JMT21
10-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Don't go to Riddle and don't get an aviation degree. Hit up one of the military academies if you can.

N6724G
10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Dont go to a military academy just to fly. Only go if you want to serve your country. Ther eis nothing wrong with ERAU. Its a good school. dontlisten to the negative talk onhere. Its a fine school and people that graduate from there do just as well as folks from other schools. You dont have to get an aviation degree from Riddle. They offer Bus. admin, Engineering, Poli Sci and others.

Sioux39
10-02-2006, 08:34 PM
If you want to go to school and fly you could try UND. You'll pay alot more than you would at your local FBO but the training is second to none. One thing you could also do if you are dedicated enough is to double major in a non-aviation degree. Thats what I'm doing, I'm a double major in Commerical Aviation and Atmospheric Sciences. You also mention Expressjet, I may be wrong but I believe that they will hire UND grabs with reduced mins. Can another NDer help me out with this?

Uncle Bose
10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I'll bet money anyone on this board thinking of ERAU is thinking of the aviation degree, which is a $150K piece of paper that's good for nothing more than allowing you to check "yes" in the "have degree?" box of an application. If not, they should take a good look at their state schools' programs and standings and decide if $25K a year is worth it for one of ERAU's other degrees.

hint: no

undflyboy06
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
One of my buddies that graduated from UND just got hired by Express Jet just under 600 TT and a little under 100 ME.

Jakob
10-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Hey astec,
I too am looking for all information I can get about the best way to go. I can tell you: read everything you find, here and elsewhere. It does help. I personally am considering UND but I don't know enough about the good universities yet. If I where you, I would look at this double-major thing. I have heard very positive things about that. But as I said, READ, READ, READ! I think we are in pretty similar positions as I too think I can say I have some good knowledge on aviation I would like to use. And I have the dream... Flying! I wish you luck.

Greetz

Jakob

PS. @Sioux39: Can you maybe give me some more information on the double-major at UND? That would be great as that is the thing I will probably want to do. I can't PM you as you don't have enough posts but maybe you could drop me an e-mail on: [email protected] That would be great! I caan use any information I can get. Thanks in advance

PPS. And of course if anybody else wouldn't mind giving me some info on the double-major etc at UND, I would be very happy!;)

JMT21
10-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Dont go to a military academy just to fly. Only go if you want to serve your country.

Absolutely go to a military academy just to fly. After graduating you are all but guaranteed to get a pilot slot if you are willing and able, plus you walk away from the school with a quality degree. On top of that everything is free...they actually pay you to go to school. Who wouldn't want to serve their country?

Ther eis nothing wrong with ERAU. Its a good school. dontlisten to the negative talk onhere. Its a fine school and people that graduate from there do just as well as folks from other schools. You dont have to get an aviation degree from Riddle. They offer Bus. admin, Engineering, Poli Sci and others.

The only people who say Riddle is a good school are either current students or very recent grads. Look at all the threads dealing with Riddle and you will find the majority of people agree there are much better options. Stay away from ERAU.

fludy12
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Absolutely go to a military academy just to fly. After graduating you are all but guaranteed to get a pilot slot if you are willing and able, plus you walk away from the school with a quality degree. On top of that everything is free...they actually pay you to go to school. Who wouldn't want to serve their country?

A big +1 there! I went the US Naval Academy route and flew for almost 12 years. Sittin' real pretty now with virtually no money out of pocket for college or flight training up through commercial multi-engine. Did the CFI/II/MEI thing after I got out, even though I was a Navy flight instructor. Unfortunately, the FAA won't "credit" military instructor designations because the teaching methods are vastly different.

N6724G
10-03-2006, 11:19 AM
One of my buddies that graduated from UND just got hired by Express Jet just under 600 TT and a little under 100 ME.

I dont think thsat had anything to do with going to UND. I have a friend that didnt not go to UND that got hired at Expressjet with that kind of time. It depends onthe person, not the institution.

I wil agree though that you dont need a degree in aviation. In fact its better to do something totally different in case aviation doesnt work out for you. I know pilots with degrees in business, journalism,political science and english. Plus and Idont know about the folks on here but it depends on yur goals. If all you want to do is fly planes for the next 30 years thats one thing, but the money is in management. SO you might want to get some business skills about yourself as well. Many young people dont think about the future. They just thinkabout the now and whats in front of them. You have to plan ahead for the future. Set yourself up for success.

astec
10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
ok, well firstly, wuts UND? and really I want to fly for a the next at least 20 years, so yea, basically I want to go to school, and get a degree, and possible do the ATP thing, because ive heard some goods about them, im not sure about the sketchy sounding 60 adn 90 day deals, but yea, so thanx for the reply's, ur input is appreciated greatly, whats schools are good, but not to expensive for useful degrees, but close to go flight schools? Thanx

Uncle Bose
10-03-2006, 01:44 PM
UND is University of North Dakota. They have an aviation degree program that attracts people from all over the world. Being that we've established that you shouldn't get an aviation degree, you should look elsewhere. What state do you live in?

N6724G
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
You never know what might happen in 20 years. You could lose your medical. You could have an unfortunant accident wher eyou could not fly the line anymore. You just never know so its always god to prepare and have a back up plan. Thats what a degree does for you. You may be working for an airline and something happen wher eyou loose your class 1 medical well if you have a business management degree they may put you in flight ops or something

Uncle Bose
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Or, you may decide, after all your training and education, that .... you just don't like flying enough to pursue it as a career! It happens to more people than would freely admit, but unfortunately for many of them, they have no easy way out, and they plod along miserably as broke CFIs and uprooted regional FOs. With a (recent) degree in business or engineering you'd have an easy out. (A 20-year-old degree is basically obsolete without subsequent, relevant work experience, but still good enough to check "yes" on an application.)

N6724G
10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Or, you may decide, after all your training and education, that .... you just don't like flying enough to pursue it as a career! It happens to more people than would freely admit, but unfortunately for many of them, they have no easy way out, and they plod along miserably as broke CFIs and uprooted regional FOs. With a (recent) degree in business or engineering you'd have an easy out. (A 20-year-old degree is basically obsolete without subsequent, relevant work experience, but still good enough to check "yes" on an application.)

I dontknow about that I have been out of college for 13 years and I never used my journalism degree and I am a police officer and I bet I could get a job inthe PAO section real easy if I wanted to leave the streets.

Uncle Bose
10-03-2006, 04:00 PM
What's the PAO section? I'm assuming it's part of the police department. In that case you're probably right, but your history with the organization is about as much a factor as your degree. Minus a history within an organization, people with 20-yr-old business, and especially engineering degrees, without the relevant work experience aren't likely to be hired over a recent graduate.

LAfrequentflyer
10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Public Affairs Office.

JMT21
10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
UND is University of North Dakota. They have an aviation degree program that attracts people from all over the world. Being that we've established that you shouldn't get an aviation degree, you should look elsewhere. What state do you live in?

Why should he look elsewhere when UND has 10 academic schools and nearly 200 fields of study to choose from? Not to mention one of the best flight programs in the country. You should definitely look around, but also consider UND; they have many non-aviation degrees to pick from.

Uncle Bose
10-03-2006, 06:16 PM
He may have a public school in his own state that also has x academic schools and nearly y fields of study to choose from, which may be of a much higher rank than 4th-tier UND. Would you really tell a Florida resident to consider paying nonresident tuition at UND over going to UF? A California resident to consider UND over UCLA? A Pennsylvania resident to consider UND over Penn State? I wouldn't...

JMT21
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
He may have a public school in his own state that also has x academic schools and nearly y fields of study to choose from, which may be of a much higher rank than 4th-tier UND. Would you really tell a Florida resident to consider paying nonresident tuition at UND over going to UF? A California resident to consider UND over UCLA? A Pennsylvania resident to consider UND over Penn State? I wouldn't...

Your putting words in my mouth.

You should definitely look around, but also consider UND.

Thats not me telling him to go out of state.

A couple weeks ago UND was 3rd tier according to you and now down to 4th by your account I see...do you really know what your talking about? I'd be interested to know where you are doing your masters. Where ever it is I'm sure the ERAU degree really set you up nice for an MBA.

astec
10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
delte thanx

Uncle Bose
10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
You're right, I meant third tier.

Now, I said "he should look elsewhere" and you said
Why should he look elsewhere when UND has 10 academic schools and nearly 200 fields of study to choose from?

Naturally, I took this as implying that he need not look further than UND, even though you followed immediately with "You should definitely look around, but also consider UND."
Silly arguments over semantics and context aside, there's no reason to pay out-of-state tuition, or even to consider doing so, for UND.

I'm doing my masters at the University of Florida, and no, ERAU certainly did not set me up nice for it. As you know, I'm more than willing to admit the uselessness of an aviation degree.

astec
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
ok, well ive considered you guys thinking, im debating, i wanna go to embry for the experience, majoring in something, but minoring in business admin. and paying for the flight stuff, which i figure is worth it, as far as flight costs, because ATP is about the same, i realize its just the school thats expensive. I will look into UND, and other college nearby any ATP's to see there costs, thanx all, and keep arguing i like to hear sides of ppl's minds, just to get smarter

sigep_nm
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Astec.
I would avoid the fast track airline training academies if you can. Regardless of what many people will tell a DEGREE DOES COUNT. It really matters not what it is in however if you plan on making an airline your career goal you SHOULD get an aviation based degree. People who tell you an aviation degree is worthless probably dont have one or didnt get a very good one. A commercial aviation degree covers many aspects of the aviation envirornment, not just the actual flying of the aircraft side. Think of this in a different way. If you want to be a professional boxer would you go to a football training and box on the side? I would hope not. If you want to realize your full potential you should fully emerse yourself in the culture. I am a UND grad but I have instructed and trained at other facilities as well. I have a much more rounded experience than most and would be happy to discuss my experiences with you. You can email me if you would like
[email protected]

Jakob
10-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Hey everybody! Interesting reading for me here again. Thx.

I have just got some more questions, as always...:o : What is nonresident tuition? OK, I can think of it being a higher tuition you have to pay if not living in the state, but that should not count if you live on the campus should it?
Second thing: Is the UCLA aviation program good? Do they offer help with internships? Is a double-major possible?

Thanks in advance guys (and maybe gals). I do appreceate it alot!:)

Uncle Bose
10-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Every US citizen is a legal resident of a particular state within the union. It could depend on several factors, such as their dependency (i.e. where their parents or legal guardians live), place of high school graduation, or recent employment status. An international student would (initially) be a resident of no state. Moving to a new state for the purpose of attending college does not qualify you as legal resident, but some states may grant resident status after a certain period of time attending one of their institutions and/or being employed in that state, and "showing an intent" to make that state your permanent home. That's crucial for those who decide on that path; non-resident tuition can be as much as four times what residents are paying...about as much as Harvard and MIT.
UCLA, one of the top public universities in the nation (rated the #4 public national university by US News), and a major draw of students from other states, does not have an aviation program, but they do have an extremely well-regarded aeropsace engineering program. For an example of resident and non-resident fees, UCLA charges $6,504 and $24,672 per year respectively.

Jakob
10-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Does it matter that I used to live in California? How is that at UND? Thanks for the information anyway!

sigep_nm
10-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Jakob,
UND does have whats called the WUE (western undergratuate exchange) that allows you to attend the college a reduced rate from what a typical out of state student would pay. It is not as cheap as the in-state but it is fairly priced. I believe it is currently around 5000. www.aero.und.edu will give you an estimate of the cost for each flight course. Your major will determine which flight courses you are required to take. The site is kind of difficult to navigate but not too bad.

Jakob
10-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Thank you. That sounds good. Do you know by chance if that counts if I was only born in California, lived there approx. 5 years and then moved to Germany? Or do I have to be current resident in a western state? If so, what are the rates for international students? I mean are they more/less expensive than "normal" out-of-state (in the US) prices?

Thank you

Uncle Bose
10-05-2006, 08:30 AM
http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/faq/residence.htm

See if your personal details are addressed anywhere there. Sorry it isn't more concise...I didn't write it. :p

Jakob
10-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks alot for that. I don't have much time right now but I will definatly fight my way through that soon. Is there maybe a possibility to call somebody who might be able to help me out? Someone working for the State maybe or somebody else who would do something like that? I would think that this is not important enough for most officials but I would really need this information for the decisions I make. After just overviewing the link very briefly I think I can't really find what I need there, but as I said, I havn't read it all yet. Thanks for any help. Any information anyone could give me concerning this Problem at UND would be greatly appreceated too, as this is the University I actualy like best (after viewing some programs etc.).

Thanks again

Blue skies everybody

Jakob