Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Air Wisconsin vs Express Jet

highflyer0685
11-17-2011, 11:42 AM
I am posting to try and get some friendly advice. I was offered a job from both Air Wisconsin and Express Jet. I do not know which offer to take. If anyone with any advice for my choice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Systemized
11-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I would choose XE/EV.
-Longer Contract
-Larger Economy of Scale

Nevets
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Where do you live, want to live, or are willing to move to?

featheredprop
11-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Flying out of Newark sucks even if you live in Northeast .Cleveland airports future is in question . Thats all I can give on the subject .

Corndawg88
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
ExpressJets a big company with lots of hiring in the future supposedly

highflyer0685
11-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Which company has the better contract and which has a quicker upgrade period?? Anyone know? The only thing that scares me w AW is their contract w usair expires after 2015 if I'm not mistaken

MatchPoint
11-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Go with (aka) SureJet.

skyxbomb
11-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Live in base!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the one closest to you. Both are great companies. You won't even be at AW in 2015 when retirement kicks in. People can't stress that enough! I wish someone emphasized that when I got on few years ago. If I even knew about apc, I mightve done some research and be happier now.

jdalbrec
11-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Which company has the better contract and which has a quicker upgrade period?? Anyone know? The only thing that scares me w AW is their contract w usair expires after 2015 if I'm not mistaken

That's a tough question with a lot of variables; no one will be able to give you a factual answer because no one will be able to accurately speculate 3-5+ years from now. Both have good contracts, I don't know them as well as some of the other guys on here, but XJT's is probably a little better. You are correct though, AWAC's contracts do expire in 2015. I don't work for either company so objectively speaking, I would probably chose XJT; probably more stable with more potential growth without the reservations that might be present at AWAC.

Just my 2 cents...

rtft27
11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
With the amount of money Awac has been investing recently in the flying side, I wouldn't worry to much about flying past 2015. Between buying another airplane and spending millions in enough engine parts to last the fleet years I'm sure there will be some flying to be done. Although with this industry..you never really know.

PruneJuice
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Xjt...

Aw is a dead company.

oldcarpilot
11-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Which one has only a dead airplane that no one wants?

Jetlinker
11-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Which one has only a dead airplane that no one wants?

Funny....I keep hearing this, and I'm pretty sure it will eventually happen, however, the 50 seater is not dead yet. United just renewed the XJT contract for some of our aircraft for 3 years, and it's anticipated that they will renew the rest. The only one dumping the 50 seater right now is DAL, and my guess is because they have the oldest CRJ's of anybody. Besides, they want a two class cabin in everything, which wouldn't work on a CRJ200. Aren't most of the parked CRJ's the 100 model also?

50 seaters will be around at XJT as long as the CAL scope holds up...and in the event it doesn't (career death), there are re-fleeting plans in the works...or so we've been told.

el jefe
11-18-2011, 05:20 AM
I would be flabbergasted if in 2015 AWAC closes up shop, with all the money, time and effort invested into things like AQP, Cost Index/fuel savings, buying a spare plane, and acquiring a buttload of engine parts. The owners are tight lipped about what their plans are and the pilots will notified after the contract is signed and planes painted.

AWAC is a money making machine (estimated roughly 1 million profit per week???) so I can't see them saying that they are tired of making money.

But back to the OP, I think both are good companies with good pilot contracts. Like others said, pick the one you can commute to easiest. Bases change, so if you live in BFE, consider moving to base or near an airport with lots of service to most major hubs if possible. 3-leg commutes will kill you. Don't chase an upgrade. Eat your greens.

blastoff
11-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Funny....I keep hearing this, and I'm pretty sure it will eventually happen, however, the 50 seater is not dead yet. United just renewed the XJT contract for some of our aircraft for 3 years, and it's anticipated that they will renew the rest. The only one dumping the 50 seater right now is DAL, and my guess is because they have the oldest CRJ's of anybody. Besides, they want a two class cabin in everything, which wouldn't work on a CRJ200. Aren't most of the parked CRJ's the 100 model also?

50 seaters will be around at XJT as long as the CAL scope holds up...and in the event it doesn't (career death), there are re-fleeting plans in the works...or so we've been told.

AWAC only has CRJ-200's.

XJT now technically has ERJ, CRJ, and CRJ-700's

PruneJuice
11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Did aw get new planes?

el jefe
11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Did aw get new planes?

N471ZW... by way of Atlantic Coast Airlines/Independence Air, Mesa Airlines in their Hawaiian operation and, most recently, Mexicana Link in Mexico. Bought another -200 earlier this year just to cannabalize the parts.

Food for thought... Coming up on my 5th year, still have roughly 150 F/O's ahead of me before I upgrade and roughly 140 F/O's that I am senior to.

FlyinPiker
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM

BlueSkiesAhead
11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
You won't even be at AW in 2015 when retirement kicks in. People can't stress that enough!

Hmmm...I seem to remember being told that I would be here for 3 years tops before moving on to a major back when I was hired. And here we are 5 years later and I'm still not really all that close to even upgrading. You just never know what's going to happen with this industry. The only thing that you can count on is uncertainty.

Moonwolf
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Depends on where you want to live. I got hired at awac around the same time a friend got hired and xpressjet, I've had two months of reserve, and now a line holder, been here nearly a year. He has been on rsv in iah/and cle. With no idea how close he is to actually holding a line. I realize its a case by case basis, just thought I would through that into the pot.

hc0fitted
11-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Depends on where you want to live. I got hired at awac around the same time a friend got hired and xpressjet, I've had two months of reserve, and now a line holder, been here nearly a year. He has been on rsv in iah/and cle. With no idea how close he is to actually holding a line. I realize its a case by case basis, just thought I would through that into the pot.

If he is in CLE he will never hold a line . CLE and IAH are most senior.

BelowMins
11-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Wrong. Take a look at the bids if you work there. 2011 CLE hires holding hard lines. IAH 2011 guys have been holding them for awhile.

FSUpilot
11-19-2011, 07:43 AM

I was hired in Feb 11 and all the guys that are in CLE from my class are holding hard lines. Im in IAH and holding a relief line. The class a week prior to mine is floating back and forth from hard line to relief line.

WalkOfShame
11-22-2011, 09:40 AM
AWAC only has CRJ-200's.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while!!! "Technically" ASA has ERJ's, not the other way around. Sorry.

Nevets
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
AWAC only has CRJ-200's.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while!!! "Technically" ASA has ERJ's, not the other way around. Sorry.

Maybe he was referring to the fact that the ASA name no longer exists. It is now called ExpressJet. So yes, technically XJT has CRJs, not the other way around. Sorry.;)

blastoff
11-22-2011, 10:26 AM

We've been operating on one certificate for almost a week. Pilots have been going back and forth between both sides for a year. The name of the company is ExpressJet. Thanks for playing wise guy .:rolleyes:

WalkOfShame
11-23-2011, 07:19 AM
We've been operating on one certificate for almost a week. Pilots have been going back and forth between both sides for a year. The name of the company is ExpressJet. Thanks for playing wise guy .:rolleyes:

Oh I understand what certificate you operate under, but that means nothing. ASA bought XJT for a little over $6 a share, am I wrong? Was I just hallucinating when I hear the "Acey" callsign for a XJT 145? But whatever, I don't have a stick in the pile since I don't work for either company. So you are right, ASA doesn't have ERJ's...."technically" Skywest does.

FSUpilot
11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Oh I understand what certificate you operate under, but that means nothing. ASA bought XJT for a little over $6 a share, am I wrong? Was I just hallucinating when I hear the "Acey" callsign for a XJT 145? But whatever, I don't have a stick in the pile since I don't work for either company. So you are right, ASA doesn't have ERJ's...."technically" Skywest does.

ASA didnt buy anyone. Skywest bought XJT and is merging the two groups together.

RightSeat4Eva
11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Technically SkyWest doesn't have any ERJs. Continental does. :D

blastoff
11-23-2011, 04:13 PM

If you supposedly understand what certificate we operate under, then you should understand what our callsign is, since both happened simultaneously a week ago.

You did hear "Acey," the combined callsign of the new company "Expressjet." The name ASA will cease to exist in 5 weeks. Go back to the original post and explain to me how the fleet mix isn't relative to the question of somebody looking to get hired by the new Expressjet? He's not getting hired by the old single-fleet type XJT.

If you don't have a "A stick in the pile" then its best not to act like an ASA guy disgruntled that the name ASA will cease to exist next month. When newbs are talking about getting hired at "XJT" they really mean XJT/ASA. Stick to things you know.

WalkOfShame
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Touche sir!! :D

blastoff
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM

Technically Continental doesn't have any ERJ's, Wells Fargo does.

Nevets
11-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Actually, technically Skywest Inc bought ExpressJet. So you are wrong on that count. And technically Skywest Inc has ERJs. But whatever, you are the one who brought this up.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1