Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : First Time Passenger On Emirates

vagabond
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Emirates announced new service Seattle to Dubai starting March 1, 2012. I am thinking of taking it to MNL at the end of September. Fares are incredibly reasonable especially compared to some of the other airlines; however, the layover in DXB is almost 9 hours going and 11 hours coming home.

Is that enough time to leave the airport and do a little sightseeing, bus tour, camel ride, etc?

If I have to stay in the airport, are there places to stretch out and snooze, preferably with some privacy?

Am I crazy to go to MNL flying in this direction instead of over the Pacific? I mean, it's 15 hours SEA to DXB and another 8.5 hours from DXB to MNL. You'd think I'm retired and have all the time in the world! :)

captain152
01-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Either you have vacation coming up or you work for a REALLY awesome airline that has REALLY awesome trip drop/add ability.

Either way... I'm jealous and have fun!!! :)

Typhoonpilot
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
SEA-DXB arrives DXB at 1940, DXB-MNL leaves at 0420.

That's not the best timing for sight seeing. You could go to the Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa area and check it out I guess. Better to have a 24 hour stopover to do sigh seeing.

There are a lot of reasonable recliner chairs in the airport that some people are able to sleep in. It would be a little too bright and noisy for me. Now if you are travelling business class it's another story. There are very nice lounges where you could feasibly rest.

There is an airport hotel, but it's probably not cheap.

TP

USMCFDX
01-19-2012, 06:12 PM
There is a hotel in the terminal that you pay based on the number of hours you stay (I know what it sounds like, but it is not that kind of hotel). It is a bit pricey, little under $200 for the eight hours I stayed if I remember correctly.

You do not have to clear customs and a agent from the hotel will meet you at your gate and walk you to reception.

Emirates is a great ride, terminal always looks like an American mall at Christmas time.

FastDEW
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Just note that if you are on a 777 in economy it can be tight. Emirates does a 10 across on the 777 where most do a 9. So it feels tight because the seats and aisles are narrow as the 777 was really designed for the 9 across configuration.

vagabond
01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Emirates also just announced a frequent flier partnership with Alaska Airlines. This is great news for me, but I agree with you, FastDEW, about the 10 configuration. 15 hours is a long time to be squeezed in with total strangers. And my husband, who already has a ticket on DAL, wants me to squeeze with him instead. ;)

We'll go to DXB on another trip. Thanks everyone for the comments for me to make an informed decision.