Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 9 to 5 vs pilot pay hourly rate.

bla bla bla
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Check this out.
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/resou...061025145.html

mistarose
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Unless I am not seeing something, that link just takes you back to APF's homepage.

HSLD
10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
I think he was trying to link this page:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/resources/pay_comparisons/pilot_pay_comparison_20061025145.html

It's a quickie chart that I did based on another thread posted today. If anyone wants to write a proper intro and explanation for the thing I'll keep it as a permanent fixture, otherwise I'll shelve it until I can finish it (I'm swamped!).

Here was the the original thread: http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/showthread.php?t=6701

favila008
10-25-2006, 10:45 PM
HSLD who do you fly a B-777-200 for? Just curious.

multipilot
10-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Thats awesome.

dhc8fo
10-26-2006, 05:29 AM
:rolleyes: No, that is pretty damn sad. It sucks when you can see the numbers right in your face. Granted, everyone has a little different situation (ie: seniority, pay, and work rules), but I put my pay at six years with my airline and what my usual pay block is and I could make more in a simple job elsewhere and have more time off. It isn't like I didn't know this, but seeing it stinks.

Skygirl
10-26-2006, 05:49 AM
That's a nifty little calculator you have there H. Someone should email it to the corporate heads.

HSLD
10-26-2006, 07:30 AM
That's a nifty little calculator you have there H. Someone should email it to the corporate heads.

I'm certain they already have one (and are laughing out loud at what pilots are willing to work for).

KZ1000Shaft
10-26-2006, 08:01 AM
That is a pretty cool calculator but I think it might provide a skewed look on it. I take the hours AT work slider bar to mean TAFB is which case you are getting the effective 10, 15, 20 (whatever it is) dollars per hour even tho you are sleeping. If it were to be put in as actual duty hours per month then it would be a more accurate comparison.

HSLD
10-26-2006, 08:17 AM
If it were to be put in as actual duty hours per month then it would be a more accurate comparison.

No doubt about that.

The chart is only an estimate of the value of time in service of the company. I considered using duty time, although it was near impossible to produce a one size fits all "annual" duty time that would be valid.

Again, this chart was a quickie that was meant to illustrate that time away from base (even when you're sleeping on a layover) is time in service of the company. Is it relevant? You be the judge.

KZ1000Shaft
10-26-2006, 12:09 PM
No doubt about that.

The chart is only an estimate of the value of time in service of the company. I considered using duty time, although it was near impossible to produce a one size fits all "annual" duty time that would be valid.

Again, this chart was a quickie that was meant to illustrate that time away from base (even when you're sleeping on a layover) is time in service of the company. Is it relevant? You be the judge.

I do like what you have done here. I was just putting that out there so that people would know that unless they use duty hours per month thier effective hourly rate may be a tad skewed.

bla bla bla
10-26-2006, 03:26 PM
So I was only making 6 dollars an hour as a first year fo at skywest! Third year Im up to 16 and gone 80% of the month. This is going to take a long time to pay back my student loans. Oh and retirement, whats that?

robthree
10-26-2006, 07:24 PM

Yes, TAFB is a relevant metric.

This is the value of the trip I am currently on:

Block Time= 2:31
Duty Time= 4:01
TAFB = 25:49

One leg each day CLT-ATL, ATL-CLT. Just because the company is only flying me for two hours, doesn't make my time sitting around any 'freer'. Plus, there is always the threat of Scheduling calling with "Another adjustment to your schedule".

bla bla bla
10-27-2006, 07:51 AM
I worked for an undisclosed company, we would be gone for 2 weeks at a time. I would get about 60 hours overtime per week. Also hazard pay, and night differential, when applicable. So my time away was compensated for.

bla bla bla
10-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Choose your path wisely. Remember If you have an opportunity to make good money when you are young do it. Live on a strict budget, and invest. All my friends who dropped out of college are doing very well most over 100k. They have bought house's and watched them appreciate. Some are making over 300k a year in real estate, and have invested in land They are talking about retiring at 30.
Just my experience, take it for what you will.

I have a good friend who just went off to med school, we often talk and wonder if we did the right thing. It will take me a long time to catch up, if ever. Its all about staying ahead of the curve. Once you get behind, its really hard to catch up. i.e. lots of debt, for a poor paying job.
It will take me a long time to catch up, if ever with my friends.