Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States

soon2bfo
10-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Anybody have the scoop on the pros and cons about working for Trans States? Their website is a little sparse, and I haven't found a thread about the lifestyle with them on the forums. What can I do to get hired into the RJ? I'm looking at them for my first airline job. Thanks for your help!

smoke
10-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm looking at them for my first airline job.

curious... why them?

soon2bfo
10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
I heard that they are hiring below 1000 tt, I have about 750 tt with 115 Multi. I am graduating in Dec, and want to get a real job as soon as I can. Any other suggestions? I am also thinking about Great Lakes, but would rather go somewhere where I can upgrade to a jet.

smoke
10-29-2006, 05:06 PM
I have a friend who will be on the inside soon, and can walk my app. in.

i could be wrong but, a new hire f.o. will probably be of no help for you getting in.

you need to think ALOT on where you want to go....bases, pay, contract, QOL, ect..

please do yourself a favor and don't just take the easiest offer without thinking about it.

I passed on three airlines to get the job I wanted. by all means do at least go to the interview if offered one, the experience will only help you.

IMO and in my case there are better places to work, but there are worse too.

SharkyBN584
10-29-2006, 06:14 PM
I can only speak on what former TSA guys have told me...and none of them were happy. Lots of bitterness regarding management, not so great on the work rules, the whole issue with GoJets, etc. All of them used the job to get on with a "better" regional (for lack of a better term). While I never personally worked there, everyone I do know who worked there got out to go to another regional (Xjet, CHQ, Air Wiskey etc.) If you can make the same amount of money as a CFI (shouldn't be too hard against first year FO pay) then I would do that instead. Better QOL, home every night, and you're still giving up the seniority when you switch jobs later. The one bright spot I hear is the pilot group is pretty cool group to work with.

Short Bus Drive
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
soon2bfo,
where do you live, are you married, do you like to work, how much dough do you need to survive, how old are you.... the questions go on.
You need to find out what YOU want. If they're THE ONLY ONE that will hire you, then do it if you want to. But if you can, build up the time (if needed) and find somewhere you REALLY want to work.

HotMamaPilot
10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
beware of blo jets!:eek:

soon2bfo
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
blo jets? Thanks for the advice. I'm single and have low overhead, so QOL as far as time home isnt a huge factor. I want to use the job as a stepping stone for a move to XJT or SKYW, but two low pay years when I could just do one is a consideration that I hadn't really thought of. Maybe I should keep instructing, but time isn't coming as fast as it could with TS.

flynavyj
10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm with tsa currently, but don't have much experience (new hire as of sept. 5th) I've heard from all the formers and current employees that management can be a pain, but it's not unbearable if you're not looking for tons of days off a month, also, the better you get along with scheduling, the better you'll be. Pilot group is really good.

To get hired into the jet at tsa, all you have to do is get hired. the jetstreams have all been retired, all that's left are the ERJ's. Your times would seem competitive, and you wouldn't necessarily have to move on again, however, many do....just depends on how long you can stand the mgt, i personally am hoping to put up with things till i DESIRE to move on somewhere else, so i can avoid the "lateral move" but...if i have to go lateral, i'll try to do it early on.

PS-
I'd also look @ xjt, i know they've been offering interviews with times close to yours, your multi being in excess of 100 might be enough to know a hundred or so off the 1000TT, could be close. good luck.

sigep_nm
10-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Isnt management a pain everywhere? I cant recall ever having a job where the management wasnt doing exactly what their job title states, MANAGING. I dont read too well but I dont think the word friend is in there?

reelbigchair
10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I am a former TSA pilot who got furloughed in the second round of furloughs back in July and I am now enjoying flying the CRJ for SkyWest. TSA isn't the terrible place some people ou there make it out to be, but you can certainly do better. Given your time, I might recommend holding out for a carrier that doesn't have awful relations with their pilots, and that will upgrade you sooner than 4-5 years. As previously pointed out, your time should get you in the door at ExpressJet, a company which took a ton of the TSA furloughs, and after a few more months teaching you'd have the mins for just about any other regional out there, including SkyWest who is hiring like crazy at the moment and I would certainly recommend them over TSA. But like I said, Trans States has decent pay, decent QOL, no training contract, and very good people to work with on the line. It's an ok place to be, especially for someone with low time, I just think that you could do a whole bunch better without teaching all that much longer.

AV8ER
10-30-2006, 03:03 AM
[quote=flynavyj;74635]I'm with tsa currently, but don't have much experience (new hire as of sept. 5th) I've heard from all the formers and current employees that management can be a pain, but it's not unbearable if you're not looking for tons of days off a month, also, the better you get along with scheduling, the better you'll be. Pilot group is really good.

I too am a new hire with TSA and starting class next week. I've heard the same, management not the greatest, but great pilot group. I've had some friends that worked there and moved on after six months, and others that are hoping to be there until they move to a major or corporate position. One guy who moved to another regional said management was a little, and emphasize the little, better, but the pilot group was not nearly as fun to fly with, and wished he had stuck it out at trans states. Bad case of he always saw greener grass on the other side.

Also, start applying now. Don't consider going, just apply, get the interview, get hired, then decide. I think the december class is filled, or close to it already, so if you get an interview, say, next week, your earliest class would probably be january or february.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but this makes sense to me. Get hired as soon as you can. I was hired at lower times then the majority of guys i'm instructing with. They're all waiting for their "dream" regional to call them. First off I didn't know there was a dream regional. I have always heard its a matter of suck and suck more. Anyway, instead of instructing for another six months and getting another 3-500 hours of 172 dual given time, get hired, go through training, get 121 experience and get 80-90 hours a month of jet time. If your not happy after six months, move on. You'll probably have more total time, and definitely better type of time, then your peers who stuck it out for the dream regional job. You might even get that job ahead of them. Anyway, thats my bit, I'm really excited to be starting at TSA, not looking to go anywere until I'm able to move up in the world.

AV8ER
10-30-2006, 06:42 AM
By the way, I've heard upgrade time at TSA right now is about 3 years, and they're expecting it to go down soon, since the majors are starting to recall, and hopefully hiring soon. I guess the key words there are expecting and hoping, so who knows.

flynavyj
10-30-2006, 07:08 AM
think the upgrade time going down might be wishful thinking...if we're lucky. Way they've made it sound for us, we'll probably all have the upgrade time, well before the chance to upgrade...they'll get to fly our butts off :D

AV8ER
10-30-2006, 07:23 AM
think the upgrade time going down might be wishful thinking...if we're lucky. Way they've made it sound for us, we'll probably all have the upgrade time, well before the chance to upgrade...they'll get to fly our butts off :D

Flynavyj, What have you heard the upgrade time is right now?

diamnd15
10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
whats the best way to apply for someone with 1000/100, email them a resume or use the airline apps website.

reelbigchair
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
email them your resume........ when I was there I don't think they hardly ever checked airline apps, that site is more for Mesa. But I did have at least 5 buddies who emailed them in who got called within a week or two. Also if you know somebody there to walk it in to the recruiter that's even better. Believe it or not, a new hire can manage that for ya.

fr8av8r_66
10-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Please excuse my naivety, and hopefully I won't get flamed by an ERJ full of folks for the thought, but what is the motivation to get a job with a regional carrier... no matter the cost? I'm currently flying freight in the Baron, Navajo and Caravan. I'm building quality Multi and Turboprop PIC time, and making as much, if not more, than a first (or second) year regional FO. If I took a Caravan only run, I could meet SWA turboprop mins within 18 months (they will take Caravan time). If I take the Learjet upgrade path (which I'll be eligable for in about 3 months... 14 months after starting in the props), I'll be logging jet SIC time... and I could be in the left seat logging jet PIC time in a about a year after that. A year to 18 months of jet PIC time should get me an interview with FDX or UPS. Total time to a major... 18 months to 3 years.

What are the current upgrade times at the regionals? Where are guys going after they put their time in?

BoilerUP
10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Please excuse my naivety, and hopefully I won't get flamed by an ERJ full of folks for the thought, but what is the motivation to get a job with a regional carrier... no matter the cost? I'm currently flying freight in the Baron, Navajo and Caravan. I'm building quality Multi and Turboprop PIC time, and making as much, if not more, than a first (or second) year regional FO. If I took a Caravan only run, I could meet SWA turboprop mins within 18 months (they will take Caravan time). If I take the Learjet upgrade path (which I'll be eligable for in about 3 months... 14 months after starting in the props), I'll be logging jet SIC time... and I could be in the left seat logging jet PIC time in a about a year after that. A year to 18 months of jet PIC time should get me an interview with FDX or UPS. Total time to a major... 18 months to 3 years.

What are the current upgrade times at the regionals? Where are guys going after they put their time in?

I presume you are working for Airnet. Its a good company, and for full disclosure I didn't get hired there but I also wasn't impressed with CW's koolaid speech.

How many pilots do you know that have been hired at SWA with only Caravan PIC? Also, how many Lear captains are leaving for legacy or LCC jobs? Not flaming, I'm very curious...

fr8av8r_66
10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I presume you are working for Airnet. Its a good company, and for full disclosure I didn't get hired there but I also wasn't impressed with CW's koolaid speech.

How many pilots do you know that have been hired at SWA with only Caravan PIC? Also, how many Lear captains are leaving for legacy or LCC jobs? Not flaming, I'm very curious...

Presumption correct. To be honest, I don't personally know anyone who has been hired at SWA with only Caravan PIC. I was only stating the possibility. I talked to a SWA captain who was riding on the system and he gave me the information regarding minimum times and the fact that SWA would consider SE Turboprop time. Is it competetive? Maybe... maybe not. Will your resume make it by the filters without minimum turbine/turboprop time? No.

I don't know of any Lear Captains who would give up left seat in the Lear to go to a Regional, but I do recall hearing that recently we've had some guys getting on with SWA and one or two of the LCC's. I've also talked to NetJets pilots and hear that they are more than happy to talk to freight dogs who meet mins.

I know what you mean about the interview sales job. You just have to take it for what it is. CW is excited about AirNet and his job, and he just tries to impart that on the folks applying. When I interviewed I told him that I was very excited and interested in working for AirNet. He told me "careful what you wish for". I got the job and have been busting my tail ever since... and am enjoying every minute of it!

rickair7777
10-30-2006, 12:52 PM

The benefits of a regional compared to 135 cargo for me:
Quality of life
Travel and other bennies for the family
Safer equipment and operations (I have a family)
Occasional good layovers
Somebody to talk to (this can backfire on occasion :eek: )
121 experience does help with the majors.
Some majors want "large" turbine > 20,000#
A decent fallback position if the majors don't call. Few light cargo operators would make acceptable lifetime emloyers.

SWA might interview you...but they often hire 2-3 in 18. If you're on of the 15 OTHER guys, then what?

FDX or UPS is only going to work if you know someone well placed and do well on the interview.

If you are well connected and are willing to take a real chance, go for it! It might pay off big time. I'm not knocking it, I have done things like that in the past (you only need to score big once :D ), but at this point in life a good regional is a better "plan B" for me.

Upgrade totally depends on the company and the timing...anywhere from 4 months to 8+ years (eagle). SKW is really low right now, because a lot of guys are going to SWA, FDX, UPS, CAL, etc. Basically people go anywhere that is hiring.

BTW the "single engine turbine PIC" thing is not there for caravan drivers..it's for the Viper guys! I'm willing to bet they are the only ones who get to take advantage of that.

duvie
10-30-2006, 01:04 PM
I've also talked to NetJets pilots and hear that they are more than happy to talk to freight dogs who meet mins.

Last I heard Net Jets doesn't count Caravan time as PIC turbine time. I could be wrong, but it might be something for you to check in to.

fr8av8r_66
10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Last I heard Net Jets doesn't count Caravan time as PIC turbine time. I could be wrong, but it might be something for you to check in to.

I was referring only to SWA on the SE Turboprop time. I would think that NetJets is more interested in ME PIC and, more specifically, turbojet crew ops.

A&F Flyer
10-30-2006, 02:24 PM
I just talked with a buddy of mine today whose in STL right now for training and likes it alot so far, he said its a good compnay and seems like a great group of people/pilots.

Best of luck

soon2bfo
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks A&F. I think its a question of attitude from what I can tell. I love to fly, so I'll make the most of it wherever I go.

POPA
11-03-2006, 08:35 AM
By the way, I've heard upgrade time at TSA right now is about 3 years, and they're expecting it to go down soon, since the majors are starting to recall, and hopefully hiring soon. I guess the key words there are expecting and hoping, so who knows.

Three years is wishful thinking right now. Before the upgrade times go down, we have to re-upgrade all the guys who got bumped back to the right seat.
However, there are a LOT of people leaving right now.

BoilerUP
11-03-2006, 08:39 AM
POPA you done with IOE yet?

AV8ER
11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Three years is wishful thinking right now. Before the upgrade times go down, we have to re-upgrade all the guys who got bumped back to the right seat.
However, there are a LOT of people leaving right now.

How many were bumped back to the right?

POPA
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
POPA you done with IOE yet?

Yessir. I guess they need us newbies pretty quick, because I got railroaded through the system. I finished my sim at midnight on Tuesday/Wednesday, turned my paperwork in on Wednesday afternoon, and was already assigned my first trip by noon on Thursday. Did a four-day and a two day for IOE, hit a 30-in-7 doing so, and already have another two-day assigned for this weekend. Looks like I may get trips far enough out that I don't actually have to sit reserve. :D

POPA
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
How many were bumped back to the right?

Not sure, to be completely honest. I've talked to a couple who were (understandably) cheesed off about it.

Are you starting this coming Monday, or have you already finished your first week?

reelbigchair
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Enough people got bumped to F/O that junior capt went from hire dates of mid to late 03 to mid 01. Because they bumped at least 10 back on the jet, and then you have to consider everyone that was a capt on the 41 that couldn't hold jet captain when they transferred over.
-POPA so cheesed off is your new fav phrase then eh? :-)

AV8ER
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Not sure, to be completely honest. I've talked to a couple who were (understandably) cheesed off about it.

Are you starting this coming Monday, or have you already finished your first week?

Starting Monday.

flynavyj
11-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Starting Monday.

And i get to take a checkride on that day...wish me luck

soon2bfo
11-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey reelbigchair, I thought you were a SKW pilot. Do you work for TSA? I'm sending in my stuff to TSA over the weekend.

POPA
11-04-2006, 06:54 AM
-POPA so cheesed off is your new fav phrase then eh? :-)

Who doesn't like cheese?:)

reelbigchair
11-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes I am a SkyWest pilot, but I was a TSA pilot as recently as July when I got furloughed. So I still have a lot of friends there, and still know quite a bit about what happened and what's goin on currently

soon2bfo
11-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Okay, I understand. I have several friends that fly there and they love it. I want to get there too because I enjoy the western mountains more than the east coast, but I don't have the mins yet. How does SkyWest compare to Trans States IYO?

reelbigchair
11-04-2006, 10:34 PM
well I don't think it's a secret that, given the choice, any pilot in his right mind would choose SkyWest over TSA right now. However TSA isn't as bad as some would make it out to be either. You're gonna fly and work with some great people there. With the exception of the whole getting furloughed, and dealing with the general bad relationship between pilots and management, my time there was very enjoyable. I never once flew with a captain that made my day a living hell. I flew with a flight attendant who was a *****, but you run into a bad apple everywhere I suppose. However as good as TSA was, SkyWest is widely accepted as one of the best rj companies to work for in the country with an upgrade time currently at least 1/3rd the length of TSA's. When you get the time for SkyWest (1000 tt, 100 multi, 100 instrument) I would certainly recommend putting your resume. But since you're low time, Trans States will take you and train you very well for the jungle jet, I wouldn't tell you to hold out for another company if you aren't even close, get some experience, and have fun flying the jet. Hope that answers your question.

soon2bfo
11-05-2006, 09:27 AM
That is the plan for now I think. I need more 250TT, but I am graduating from college (not an aviation degree) with 2 more classes I can finish on my own time and I want to fly asap. It looks like TSA might be the right place. I think I'll end up at SkyWest within a year either way. Thanks for your input.

flyerfly
11-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I am at TSA. I am a new hire FO. I have walked in 3 resumes in one month. 3 people got interviews. So far 2 have gotten hired. Its bad but there are several people in the Oct class with only 400 TT and 20 ME. Makes me wonder why I worked so hard to provide good flight instruction. Sad thing is they have more senority than me too. OH well supply and demand. So far I like the company. My position currently is good. I wont have but a month of reserve and the training is excellent. I think all 25 in our class will pass first time. Its tougher than most airlines from what I've heard. I do know that the class that studies togeather passes togeather. Good luck to you!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1