Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth Removal

EvilMonkey
08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Got some bad news when I got my dental X-Rays the other day. My wisdom teeth have to come out. It's been something I've put off for about ten years (since they are all impacted and have never caused a problem) but now the Doc says they have to go.

Can anyone tell me how much time I will need to take off work? The top ones are deeply impacted, and I believe it will take a full on oral surgery to remove them.

The oral surgeon told me I would be ok to come back to light duty (whatever that means) after 3 or 4 days. He seemed unsure, however, how the pressure changes inflight would affect me.

Thanks for the help!

AmericanIdiot#1
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
If they are impacted, it means they are going to be a b!tch removing. I went down the same road. Get your yourself knocked out and spare the aroma of hearing a bone cutter hack into your jaw and seeing bits and pieces of jaw bone, gum and teeth flying out of your mouth.

EvilMonkey
08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
If they are impacted, it means they are going to be a b!tch removing. I went down the same road. Get your yourself knocked out and spare the aroma of hearing a bone cutter hack into your jaw and seeing bits and pieces of jaw bone, gum and teeth flying out of your mouth.

Well I wasn't nervous about it...thanks for the advice though!:D

pilot0987
08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Your going to need at least a week for that type of oral surgery. Also be careful what you take for pain too, take that into consideration before returning to work.

N9373M
08-04-2012, 03:56 AM
It's been so long (late 80s?) - had 3 removed by an oral surgeon. Don't be surprised if small pieces of tooth/bone still work their way out in the months after. It was not bad at all - I wanted to go to work a few hours after resting at home - but I was still feeling the happy juice/pills. I definitely needed the weekend.

I'm not a Dr., but the amount of time off work will depend on the complexity of the removal and your age -so it's a crap shoot. I probably had mine done on a Friday and was back on Monday cube dwelling in my computer programmer gig.

Good luck!

wmuflyboy
08-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Your going to need at least a week for that type of oral surgery. Also be careful what you take for pain too, take that into consideration before returning to work.

I wanna say the feds recommend that you wait at least 24 hours to fly after you take one of the more powerful pain pills like vicodin or percocet. But you will be out of work for more than a day anyway.

wyanrare
08-04-2012, 06:10 AM
I had four removed the same way. I stayed doped up on pain pills and slept for 2 days straight. woke up on day 3 feeling pretty good and could have gone to work. surgery wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated and I had put mine off for about 10 years s well. I wouldn't recommend being awake for it, i would have probably had a stroke as I'm scared t death of the dentist.

rotorhead1026
08-04-2012, 03:09 PM
It's been so long (late 80s?) - had 3 removed by an oral surgeon. Don't be surprised if small pieces of tooth/bone still work their way out in the months after.

I really don't think that's common, although I'm certainly not an expert. Was your dentist's name "Doc Holliday"? :D

love2av8
08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Had mine taken out and felt great a few days later. It will just depend on how bad yours are.
On a side note, a friend of mine just had 4 removed and is now suffered a numb tongue due to the proximity of the nerve to the tooth. Now he is on high dose steroids to help calm it down.
As you can see, it will just depend on how your surgery goes. Good luck! As for how long after taking the meds, call your union's medical dept and ask them, that's what you pay dues for!

N9373M
08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I really don't think that's common, although I'm certainly not an expert. Was your dentist's name "Doc Holliday"? :D

Dr. Nick, actually. Any surgery for 19.99! :D

USMCFLYR
08-04-2012, 07:18 PM
4 taken out at one time - all impacted, 2 infected.
1 week for me, but this was a long time ago too ('87).

USMCFLYR

throttleweenie
08-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I had 4 in one sitting. I would have not flown for a few days, but was still an auto mechanic, before I was flying. I'm guessing things have come a long way in the last 34 years, though, like for instance, I bet it'd be pretty tough to trade 4 wisdom teeth out for replacing the head gaskets on your dentist's El Camino these days.

TW

The Juice
08-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I've been putting mine off for 20 years...this is the year...yeah, this year

EvilMonkey
08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I had my consultation with the Oral Surgeon on Thursday. She said I should take seven days off work, mostly due to issues with passing a urine test.

I'll keep this thread updated once I have the teeth removed, hopefully it can help someone else. I am scheduled to have all four yanked November 1.

brianb
08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I had my consultation with the Oral Surgeon on Thursday. She said I should take seven days off work, mostly due to issues with passing a urine test.

I'll keep this thread updated once I have the teeth removed, hopefully it can help someone else. I am scheduled to have all four yanked November 1.
Good luck to you. I have been sitting on my brain molars for over twenty now and I'm just waiting for the "hammer" to drop. Pls keep us updated. Thanks.

captain152
08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't know much about this stuff so forgive my ignorance here...

Is it mandatory that at some point they will have to come out?? Or is it only if they're an issue??

JamesNoBrakes
08-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I got the out in the Army, and by a fluke of where my medical records were at the time, I got them out at the hospital all at once (SOP was to get them out 2-at-a-time with just local anesthesia. Was about 3 days for me before I felt normal enough. I was doped up with codeine the first couple days and when that ran out, the pain was pretty bad. I think they way under-shot the pain meds and hoped for the best. With the 2nd prescription I was fine, enough to take the edge off until the pain was manageable. I think they gave me at least 5 days off or so in the Army.

EvilMonkey
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't know much about this stuff so forgive my ignorance here...

Is it mandatory that at some point they will have to come out?? Or is it only if they're an issue??

Not mandatory, but from what I've been told it is almost inevitable that at some point they will cause complications.

I still have all four and I'm 28. I talked the Army doc out of removing them about a year ago during an active duty training stint. During my last dental visit, and pano X-Ray, my regular dentist noticed one of the lower ones beginning to impinge a nerve (apparently a major facial nerve) and told me I no longer had an option, at least that one had to be removed.

If one is a problem, I may as well have them all removed. The Oral Surgeon told me during the consultation that my upper, impacted ones could cause sinus problems down the road if left in. F¥€£ it, pull 'em...

captain152
08-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Gotcha!

Thanks for the info :)

Guess I should probably make an appointment with a dentist before our insurance gets changed...

MoonShot
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I had 4 impacted taken out at once. Brutal! I was out of flying at least a week. You wont even want to think about flying for at least 5-7 days.

I had the doctor write me a note that indicated the pain pills he had put me on etc... to carry around in case I got drug tested. I have no idea how long the drugs stay in your system but I didn't want to take any chances.

EvilMonkey
09-19-2012, 05:55 AM
One of these stupid teeth started to act up, so I'm getting them all pulled today. I'll try and post the next few days how my recovery is going.

JamesNoBrakes
09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
One of these stupid teeth started to act up, so I'm getting them all pulled today. I'll try and post the next few days how my recovery is going.

Make sure to do it while you're on the Vicodin :)

Golden Bear
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Not to get all Nancy Reagan on you, but watch out for those pills. Seems like the docs have no problem signing off on the hardcore stuff for the slightest pain these days regardless of a specific need.

A friend's wife had her wisdoms pulled and was given Limbaugh-strength meds, and, without going into all the unpleasant details, had a helluva time getting off them.

I recommend whiskey.

EvilMonkey
09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Well, out of surgery. Not too groggy about an hour and a half after waking up. Not too much pain, but I think the local anesthetic hasn't worn off. Managed to eat a yogurt and noodle soup. No pain meds yet!

EvilMonkey
09-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Local anesthetic has worn off. Feels like my face is in a vice. So much for no pain pills. Mother of God.

http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2009/090808-found-pills.jpg

LNL76
09-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Pain killers are pretty much a necessity tonight and at least part of tomorrow. After that, extra strength Tylenol should do the trick.

Hope you're using ice to stop the swelling.

Both me and 2 of my 3 kids have had wisdom teeth removed. (Son had all 4 done at one time!). NONE of us needed prolonged pain killers and all felt better by the 2nd or 3rd day

Feel better!

The Juice
09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
I feel your pain man. You have the coconuts to do what many are scared to get done.

LNL76
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I feel your pain man. You have the coconuts to do what many are scared to get done.

Good Lord. Thank God males aren't the ones who have to give birth. Humans would have been extinct by now. :D

EvilMonkey
09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Pain killers are pretty much a necessity tonight and at least part of tomorrow. After that, extra strength Tylenol should do the trick.

Hope you're using ice to stop the swelling.

Both me and 2 of my 3 kids have had wisdom teeth removed. (Son had all 4 done at one time!). NONE of us needed prolonged pain killers and all felt better by the 2nd or 3rd day

Feel better!

Yeah, they gave me a big head wrap thing with ice packs in it. Hope I don't look too much like a Chipmunk:-) Was hoping to avoid the good pain drugs so I wouldn't have to take much time off work, but oh well:-) Thanks for the advice!

LNL76
09-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah, they gave me a big head wrap thing with ice packs in it. Hope I don't look too much like a Chipmunk:-) Was hoping to avoid the good pain drugs so I wouldn't have to take much time off work, but oh well:-) Thanks for the advice!

Fancy schmancy! We all just put ice cubes in a zip lock bag or used a frozen bag of peas. PLEASE use it----my daughter didn't when she had her procedure 2 weeks ago and we just had to call her Alvin for a week after that! :p

And, you're welcome. :)

undflyboy06
09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Just make sure to rinse on a regular basis with warm salt water. Might not taste the best, but makes your mouth feel a whole lot better.

Cubdriver
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Had one pulled last winter, there was nothing really wrong with it except it started decaying slightly near the gum line and despite my pointing out the issue to a dentist deliberately, the fool did nothing and then it was toast. Lots of fun getting that removed, pretty barbaric stuff. I think oral surgeons are all closet sadists.

Two things I learned though

* If a dentist says one wisdom is bad, therefore they all have to come out, or even the opposing one does, then get another opinion. I had my second opinion guy offer to save ALL of them using a simple tooth filling. Eventually that filling gave out and the tooth had to be pulled, but I still saved the other three, so you do not have to pull them in groups in some cases. I have well formed wisdoms which were actually great teeth and I wanted to preserve them.

* Hydrocodone was not addictive, and the doc gave me a huge bottle of them. It was also not a very good pain killer, I found whiskey and Tylenol to be better. Also, I think the anti-inflammatory Alleve is useful for this. Any drug makes you possibly unsafe to fly.

Golden Bear
09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
It was also not a very good pain killer, I found whiskey and Tylenol to be better. Also, I think the anti-inflammatory Alleve is useful for this.

Alcohol and Tylenol as a combo is mucho no bueno. Its the liver damage express.

One or the other, never both!

EvilMonkey
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Still quite a bit of pain today. Also, getting kind of chipmunky:-/ Still using ice as much as I can.

Thanks UND, I've actually been using salt water for a few weeks now to keep one of the teeth irrigated. It got an infection called pericoronitis, which caused me to bump the surgery up about six weeks. I'm also using Listerine. The surgeon said it was OK if I could stand the burning in the open wounds. I'd rather suck it up now and avoid an infection.

Cub, I agree, hydrocodone by itself doesn't do much, but I was also prescribed 800 mg ibuprofen tablets. Together with ice, they're working pretty well. As far as taking all the wisdom teeth out, the Army was going to do it sooner or later anyways. I would rather let a civilian do it:-)

Cubdriver
09-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Too much Vicodin or hydrocodone is also a risk to the liver, according to the wiki article pasted below. I am just here to say I tried it and found it pretty weak, I could not sleep as well as with ordinary alcohol after surgery. Perhaps choose which one works the best, and ask the doc which is the safest combo.

wiki on hydrocodone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocodone)

EvilMonkey
09-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Been a few days since I posted...Almost back to normal. There are still large voids in the back of my mouth from the removals. I tried to go for a run today, but when my heart started to beat fast my jaw started to throb.

Quit the pain meds yesterday, start a trip next week and I'd rather be safe than sorry on a drug test.

I'm still sticking to the surgeon's suggestion of a liquid/soft food diet until I'm cleared at the checkup Tuesday. I would kill to chew on a steak or something else solid right now:-/

captain152
09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Well the worst is over for ya!!

I'm just hoping I don't have to go through it anytime soon.

Although I will say it would make for some funny pictures looking like a chipmunk ;)

rotorhead1026
09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Alcohol and Tylenol as a combo is mucho no bueno. Its the liver damage express.

One or the other, never both!
+1000. Talk to any ER (ED now :)) doctor or nurse.

Too much Vicodin or hydrocodone is also a risk to the liver

Most of this risk is due to it being packaged with some form of acetaminophen, at least in the United States. I don't know how Rush Limbaugh survived, frankly. Don't drink with these, either, for a variety of reasons.

Hydrocodone was not addictive

Had you taken it steadily for a couple of weeks you'd have felt withdrawal symptoms. It's an opiate - addictive.

If you're going to anesthetize with whiskey, don't "co-use" any pills.

JamesNoBrakes
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Too much Vicodin or hydrocodone is also a risk to the liver, according to the wiki article pasted below. I am just here to say I tried it and found it pretty weak, I could not sleep as well as with ordinary alcohol after surgery. Perhaps choose which one works the best, and ask the doc which is the safest combo.

wiki on hydrocodone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocodone)

Well, "also a risk" and the level of risk from combining alcohol and Tylenol is probably the issue, one is worse than the other, which is why they developed the drugs in the first place. Better living through chemicals :) If you need a stronger painkiller, get that. It may be unlikely, but in some cases doctors may not be willing to prescribe what is appropriate for the pain unless you ask. They are too scared of the prescription medicine crackdown or other stuff that doesn't have much to do with simply doing their job of caring for patients. It doesn't mean that you are abusing the system, but some people are bigger and might require a bigger dose, something might have been different in the surgery and caused more pain that might be "normal", etc. Best thing to do is ask. If drugs get you back to feeling well (because it allowed your body to heal) in a decent amount of time, then well done. The army didn't give me any lip about asking for a refill of my codine, and I didn't end up addicted to drugs! :D