Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Nippon Cargo, NCA

The Dominican
09-05-2012, 09:25 PM
https://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HACS&cws=1&rid=44

This is one of the best contracts available anywhere in the world right now. Stable rosters, great commuting conditions, the money is very good and the opportunities for advancement are great with attrition due to retirements and their fleet expansion that includes the 748, this company also has an upgrade program. US bases!

portfo
09-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Looks like this contract is through HASC, isn't that the same as CReW? can you apply to two different contracts through the same agency, or is that frowned upon?

v1uhoh
09-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Parc is also hiring for this:
CAE Parc Aviation Recruitment and Resourcing (http://www.parcaviation.aero/pages/current_assignments/crew_resourcing.asp?RMURL=VacDetail.asp%3FCommAdSe qNo%3D2091)

They told me upgrades were running 1-2 contract cycles (3-6 years).

iflysky
09-06-2012, 07:34 AM
So do you need the 747 type and time in it ? Hawaiian states "preferred", Parc is "required". So which one is it ? I'm all all bus here (320, 330) so just wandering if I have a shot ?

tailendcharlie
09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
I called Hawaii Aviation a few years ago about this and at that time you needed it. I think when they say "150 hours in type (150 hours 747-400 preferred)" they mean they'll take you with 150 hours in the Classic, but not zero time in 747's.

It might be worth another call though to verify.

captfred
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
What is the maximum age to get hired there?

The Dominican
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
The conditions of the market in Japan (and abroad) are not like a few years ago, remember that just a few years ago JAL had fired several 747 senior pilots because they got rid of people by fleet not by seniority and Japan got hit with one of the worse natural disasters in recent hystory. Now you have a stiff competition for crews with the introduction of LCC's into the market and skymark is hiring a lot of people, this is a good contract and it wouldn't surprise me that people that are employed with 747 time would jump ship to go to NCA, but the point I'm trying to make is APPLY, let them be the ones to say no, don't do it for them, to me the fact that they opened the flood gates for applications in the expat market is very telling;) Just as a reminder, I don't work at NCA nor have any vested interest, I just enjoy having a beer with those guys once in a while.

myoface
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey Dom,

Does NCA make you go thru the 6-9 months of Japanese training craziness or is toned down a bit? Last I heard ANA no longer owns NCA right?

hope things are going well over there for you

face

Controlled Rest
09-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Hey Dom,

Does NCA make you go thru the 6-9 months of Japanese training craziness or is toned down a bit? Last I heard ANA no longer owns NCA right?

hope things are going well over there for you

face

Any Japanese contracts will make you got through the long training process. It's a JCAB requirement. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

Dom, Parc now has Air Japan advertised as 3 weeks on/2 weeks off. Is that the new deal?

The Dominican
09-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Hey MYO... How is the freight dawg life treating ya? As CR mentioned, the training periods are long here regardless.... ANA sold the majority of the shares they had in NCA although they have some stock still but no longer control the board. Things are getting a little better in term of scheduling I'm happy to say, although there is room for improvement, thanks for asking.

@controlled rest: A while back they added 2 commuting blank days so it is a 12 day stretch but you do commute on your time, you can add your vacation days 2 at a time and make it 14 days in a row, so it is 17 on a 31 day month, 16 on on a 30 day and the happiest month of the year we work two weeks :-)

myoface
09-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Dom,

Glad to hear the scheduling is getting a little better. I love the freight thing....good times! Love the airplane and love not having to worry about commuting to work! Its funny, when I went over to interview with ANA long time back, i ran into a couple of NCA guys going to recurrent and they sounded pretty happy.

F15andMD11
09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Reading everything that has been written about being an expat just about has me convinced. I just can't commit to it yet, primarily due to still being in the AF Reserve and hoping that I can still get on with another US company. But the clock keeps ticking and I'm not getting any younger.
Probably a dumb question but....I assume there is no more jumpseating when you become an expat. Is this true? Moving to LA or Chi will be a requirement.
Another "age" issue...can vision be corrected to 20/20 or no glasses what so ever?

EXPAT1
09-13-2012, 04:28 AM
Reading everything that has been written about being an expat just about has me convinced. I just can't commit to it yet, primarily due to still being in the AF Reserve and hoping that I can still get on with another US company. But the clock keeps ticking and I'm not getting any younger.
Probably a dumb question but....I assume there is no more jumpseating when you become an expat. Is this true? Moving to LA or Chi will be a requirement.
Another "age" issue...can vision be corrected to 20/20 or no glasses what so ever?
I would NOT recommend the Ex Pat lifestyle for a guardsmen or Reservist. Remember you have NO Userra protection so if you are activated your only choice is to quit. It is too big a risk. I did it for several years then retired when it just became too difficult to maintain currency. Many ExPat jobs are 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Your unit may not like you being gone for 6 weeks at a time. You are correct there is NO jumpseating allowed by Foreign carriers. The TSA jumpseat list also could not be updated and maintained. Many carriers have good travel arrangements like Korean and ANA but many in China are simply paid an allowance and you buy your own coach ticket with the occasional upgrade. Japan Airlines once had a reciprical jumpseat agreement with Northwest but both Northwest and JALways no longer exist. Vision varies extensively by nation but Japan doesn't like radial RK procedures. China allows you to wear glasses no problem. Do your research on each nations medical you are interested in. Being an ExPat is what you make of it but there are definite Pros and Cons which each person will rank differently. Best of Luck!

nathanexplosion
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Just to reiterate what expat said, a friend of mine in training at a Hong Kong based carrier got activated right after completing his line training (IOE). He was told they expected his resignation.

upspeed
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Dear Gents and Ladies,

Has anyone been invited for screening next month yet?

I'm heading to NRT on the first week of october and would be great to exchange info with other candidates heading there as well.

PM me if you wish.

Fly safe.

Upspeed.

blearned
09-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm going too. Anyone have any intel? Can't pm 'cause I haven't made my 10 posts yet.

Typhoonpilot
09-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm going too. Anyone have any intel? Can't pm 'cause I haven't made my 10 posts yet.

My tone is not mean here, but it just strikes me as odd that you have been a member since March, 2011. This is your first post and you expect someone to send you information about a competitive position when you have not had the time or inclination to participate on the forum previously.

Ever heard of give and take?

Typhoonpilot

prigotloop
09-23-2012, 12:52 PM
My tone is not mean here, but it just strikes me as odd that you have been a member since March, 2011. This is your first post and you expect someone to send you information about a competitive position when you have not had the time or inclination to participate on the forum previously.

Ever heard of give and take?

Typhoonpilot

I don't find it odd.

Typhoonpilot
09-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Here is the problem. This forum is for sharing information. We all have some and we should all share. Opinions are okay to share as well.

If someone has a track record of very few posts and then all of a sudden wants information that's fine, but will he share his experience with us after the interview? Will he share the joining details? Will he share what it is like during training there? Will he share what the schedule is like once on line? Will he share how the compensation actually ends up being like?

That's all valuable information for the community, but when one doesn't have a track record of posting at all, it is unlikely that he would share the information. So why should someone answer his question?

Typhoonpilot

brianb
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Here is the problem. This forum is for sharing information. We all have some and we should all share. Opinions are okay to share as well.

If someone has a track record of very few posts and then all of a sudden wants information that's fine, but will he share his experience with us after the interview? Will he share the joining details? Will he share what it is like during training there? Will he share what the schedule is like once on line? Will he share how the compensation actually ends up being like?

That's all valuable information for the community, but when one doesn't have a track record of posting at all, it is unlikely that he would share the information. So why should someone answer his question?

Typhoonpilot
Presumptive guilt? Give the man a chance, he might surprise you.

Beaver Hunter
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Typhoonpilot

You aren't a Brit by any chance?
Jeez lighten up. Maybe he doesn't like the sound of his own voice.

CriticalMach
09-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Typhoonpilot

Wow. Glad I don't fly with you. :rolleyes:

Devildog2Pilot
09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Anyway.... I'm headed to the sim eval on the 10th. Anybody have any clue on what to expect from the panel interview?

Typhoonpilot
09-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Presumptive guilt? Give the man a chance, he might surprise you.

No it's statistical likelihood and a shot across the bow.

There are a number of us on the forum who provide a lot of information and have been doing so for many years. I have seen it time and time again where someone pops up and asks questions about an interview process, that get answered, then he goes away never to be heard from again.

He's basically used our time and generosity and not had the common decency to say thank you in the form of posting what the interview experience was like for other members to learn from.

I think it's time that someone says something about that kind of behavior in hopes of educating new/newish members in hopes of making APC an even better forum with better information for everyone.

TP

iluvetops
09-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow. Glad I don't fly with you. :rolleyes:

I will fly with TP anytime...day and night..

Criticalmach, you don't know TP well enough to make a such statement and TP is right about not putting in an effort to search for any intel here.

upspeed
09-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi guys,

Just received detailed info about the october 9th/10th screenings:

1. SIM assessment on the B744 - apparently very straightforward, scheduled to last 30-40 minutes only. SIM profile is basically T/O - Eng Fail - Climb straight ahead - Vectors for ILS approach - manual One Eng Inop landing.
2. Interview with some tech questions regarding the SIM assessment, and a general Q and A (who are you and why NCA).
3. Medical 2 weeks later (guys going for the oct 1st / 2nd screening will have their medical the day after the SIM)

I may be wrong, but all in all it seems to me that the invited candidates are pretty much "pre-qualified", so the screening would be just a confirmation to see if you would fit in the company´s profile.

Cheers,

Upspeed.

The Dominican
09-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Upspeed, did you get an interview package with the profiles and most importantly the calls??? If you did I just wanted to stress that you must make an effort in learning their calls as best you can for the evaluation, in Japanese companies they put a lot of emphasis on this, it shows them that you are making an effort to learn it their way.

Good luck to both of you

upspeed
09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi Dom,

The package we received was quite simple actually, no specific callouts or procedures...just a very basic SIM profile.

According to the recruiter NCA aims on assessing if the candidates are trainable and don´t expect us to do it their way yet, which is a different "approach" when compared to Air Japan´s screening as I see it. Of course, if there are any current NCA guys here in the forum it´d be nice to get some "inside" intel. Otherwise, it will be flying as each candidate´s current employer. I will be sure to post my experience here in a few weeks time after I´m back from NRT.

BTW...any B744 sims for hire around Tokyo? I know Boeing has the Tokyo Campus with one at ANA apparently, but according to the info I got no availability.

Cheers!

Upspeed.

Upspeed, did you get an interview package with the profiles and most importantly the calls??? If you did I just wanted to stress that you must make an effort in learning their calls as best you can for the evaluation, in Japanese companies they put a lot of emphasis on this, it shows them that you are making an effort to learn it their way.

Good luck to both of you

The Dominican
09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Good luck on the interview, I don't think that you can get time on the ANA sims and I don't know if you could get some time on the JAL sims, they got rid of all their 74's and I know they are renting the sims but I just don't know how to get a slot over there, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

upspeed
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks Dom! I'll let you know how it goes.

Upspeed.

Good luck on the interview, I don't think that you can get time on the ANA sims and I don't know if you could get some time on the JAL sims, they got rid of all their 74's and I know they are renting the sims but I just don't know how to get a slot over there, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

johnso29
09-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Out of pure curiosity, is there info on what this pays available anywhere? Also, does your contract generally get renewed time after time? I'm not looking to apply, but simply curious about how the contract jobs generally work.

The Dominican
09-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Nippon Cargo (NCA pilot jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Nippon_Cargo_(NCA))

The info might be outdated some, for the complete and up to date contract package is better to contact PARC directly.

The contracts are renewable unless they specify that it will be a one time deal, in the vast majority of the cases the company does offer a second contract but there are some occasions that they opt to not offer it, it is rare but it does happen (well, rare under the current demand for pilots that is, when there is an economical downturn or the company finds itself in dire straights, needless to say that the contract pilots are the first to go) contract gigs are a good option in times of growth and high demand, not so much when times are tight. The good news is that it looks like the next decade at least, there will be a steady demand for qualified crews.

rv8builder
09-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Best of luck to all who are interviewing!

I'm heading out the second week of October, anyone else? Looking forward to the interview- Japan is awesome!

pegasus6234
09-29-2012, 04:55 AM
Hey rv8, what did they (Parc or HACS) says about the medical during your round of interviews. I had a friend who put it off because they told him he probably had to come back later to do it. Yikes, working your schedule around for 4-5 days off is hard enough without having to do it twice! At least the first round is a two day git-r-done affair.

rv8builder
09-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Yerp- Gotta go back to NRT to do the medical- assuming I am successful with the interview and sim!

It'll be kind of a pain in the neck to get the additional days off work, but if I said no I may not have been invitied to the intervew in the first place!

blearned
09-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey, Upspeed,
I'm off to NRT on Monday, interview on 3rd. I got the same profile as you did...just depart straight ahead with vectors back to the same runway.
I also, inadvertently I think, got a .docx with a list of interview questions. All straight forward (why do you wan to work here, what do you know nout Japanese corporate culture, how does your family feel about it, any problems with training in the past, what do you think of CRM, and a few general technical/operational questions). Any way to post these?
If its ok with The Dom, I'd like to post a report on the experience after the interview.

blearned
09-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Also, my medical screening is the day after the interview/sim, assuming I haven't washed out by then! Told to bring running shoes for the treadmill test, pair of contacts an the box they came in (with diopter markings), and spare glasses. A friend formerly of ANA advised not to exersize (run, lift, work out) for at least several days prior, so as not to introduce ketones or lactic acid into your system that would affect your blood screenings.

johnso29
09-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Nippon Cargo (NCA pilot jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Nippon_Cargo_(NCA))

The info might be outdated some, for the complete and up to date contract package is better to contact PARC directly.

The contracts are renewable unless they specify that it will be a one time deal, in the vast majority of the cases the company does offer a second contract but there are some occasions that they opt to not offer it, it is rare but it does happen (well, rare under the current demand for pilots that is, when there is an economical downturn or the company finds itself in dire straights, needless to say that the contract pilots are the first to go) contract gigs are a good option in times of growth and high demand, not so much when times are tight. The good news is that it looks like the next decade at least, there will be a steady demand for qualified crews.

Thanks for the info. :)

skypine27
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
FYI Dated info but:

I have a friend who was ex ATA who went to NCA in '07 or '08. Was a 757 CA at ATA at the time and had 0 747 time or ratings.

Yes, this is dated info but like a guy early in thread said, "Let THEM be the ones who say no."

Apply.

The Dominican
09-29-2012, 11:14 AM
If its ok with The Dom, I'd like to post a report on the experience after the interview.
:confused: sorry, that went right over my head! As I said before, I have no vested interest nor work at NCA, the purpose for me to start this thread was just to help fellow pilots in these difficult times, Why on earth would it not be ok to post an interview experience?

captjohndoe
10-05-2012, 02:32 AM
For the military guys, if you get activated - at least at Air Japan - they will let you come back after your assignment. We had a new guy who got activated to Iraq after his training and was allowed to come back after his tour. Also, if you are with CREW or HACS, since they are both US companies they would have to let you come back if you get activated according to the US laws I presume. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I know for a fact Air Japan will let you comeback if you are activated. Also, the scheduling is flexible enough here where you can request days-off around reserve duty dates.

Hopes this helps a little.

rv8builder
10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
How did the interview go guys / gals ???

Biggie
10-06-2012, 05:33 AM
FYI Dated info but:

I have a friend who was ex ATA who went to NCA in '07 or '08. Was a 757 CA at ATA at the time and had 0 747 time or ratings.

Yes, this is dated info but like a guy early in thread said, "Let THEM be the ones who say no."

Apply.
Do you know what contractor he used? CReWs is pretty quick to say "no" in the past, regarding this contract.

Biggie

The Dominican
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
They are actively hiring and they need a few guys so if CREW is not cutting it, use another contractor.

Sorry I posted on regards to one of your posts biggie.

Biggie
10-06-2012, 04:03 PM
They are actively hiring and they need a few guys so if CREW is not cutting it, use another contractor.

Sorry I posted on regards to one of your posts biggie.

You didn't.

I was looking at NCA and AJX, a few years ago; and CReWs told me no for the 747 Classics and later for the -400s. Even though I'd heard different from pilots that had talked to NCA management. Jus sayin - might be better to try a different contractor, if CReWs won't even answer your e-mails.

Biggie

pegasus6234
10-07-2012, 04:33 AM
CReW is now doing just ANA while HACS is for Starflyer, and NCA. The recruiter for the NCA is Brooks at ext. 21. He is very nice and will give you an answer if you qualify or not. They ARE having issues getting qualified applicants to apply. They (HACS adn Parc) are competing with america getting ready to start up the hiring engine, China dangling $ in front of the young guys, and many pilots who are just not in a position to do a 4-6 month training gig. Not to mention it scares the heck out of most pilots when you tell them about it.

The first round there was 5 of us JCAB -400 type holders and 2 US -400 guys. The 2nd round I know of 1 JCAB -400 guy, 1 US type guy, and the rest I can only speculate. I have been told from HACS that if you have a JCAB rating on anything or a -400 type from anywhere, NCA will at least look at your resume/application. There are a total of about 45 guys on this planet that have a -400 JCAB rating and maybe a few hundred pilots that have flown in Japan...so that pool is going to dry up quick. This NCA is a bit more open to new ideas than the old NCA.

myoface
10-07-2012, 07:13 AM
This NCA is a bit more open to new ideas than the old NCA.

Here is one from a guy is typed and current on the 400.....pay more and work less. I wonder how that would go over!

seaplanenow744
10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Just trying to get a "ballpark" idea of what BUPA medical coverage would be for my wife & daughter (worldwide coverage), i.e. they will spend periods of time in Canada, USA, & Europe through the course of the year (so yeah - worldwide coverage would be necessary).

Good luck to all in the interview process !

Heading back in Nov for my medical -

The Dominican
10-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure if it is the same with NCA, but I'm on contract with PARC and with BUPA insurance, it does NOT cover my family in the US, they would only be covered if I change my domicile outside of the US. This is one issue where PARC is very substandard for guys living in the US, they offered supplemental insurance for my family but what they quoted me was higher than what I was paying. Make sure they clarify this issue with you because I'm afraid you will have to get supplemental insurance on your own.

seaplanenow744
10-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks Dom - Certainly interesting when it comes to insurance & coverage (based on one's domicile).

Honestly - still not sure where we are going to call "home" yet. We have legal rights to live in Canada & Europe (in our case), but Canadians can also stay in the USA for up to 6 months (without a VISA)... Still researching what to do (my daughter is not school age as of yet, so there is some flexibility).

I applied for the LAX base (through PARC) - but as a non-resident

blearned
10-09-2012, 10:54 PM
I went through the PARC/NCA interview last week. Sorry this took so long to post - back at work in Europe/ME with serious Internet challenges.
They indicated that:
Training will be at NCA training facility in Narita, accomodations at the Excel hotel. Training ws originally projected to be up to 6 months (total elapsed time, including return home after SIM and about a month of IOE). Planning on classes of 8 candidates each, every other month beginning in April, for a total cadre of 32 pilots, who are to replace junior JAL pilots that NCA had employed while on furlough and are being recalled.
Next screening (after the one this week) will be in December. PARC and HAAC are still accepting resumes.
PARC will reimburse the cost of the airfare to/from, and trains etc when there. Hotel is paid dirctly by NCA. Stay at the Excel Hotel in Narita (adjacent to the north end of the airfield). There is a crew-only cafeteria in the basement, which is a great place to meet and mingle.
Day one of the screening consists of a sim evaluation followed by panelinterview, both conducted at NCA's new training facility adjecent to the airport. PARC/HAAC rep will escort you and three other candidates to and from the training center. Each sim and interview is individual...everyone else waits in a conference room while the otheras are screened. Morning or afternoon sessions, but either lasts about 5 hours, with a lunch break.
You will revieve a one-page sim profile and the NRT ILS Rwy 16R approach plate, which you will review with a NCA Captain and the Chief Pilot. Very relaxed - they let you know what they would like to see. The Captain in the left seat runs all your checklists. In the sim: engines running, holding short of the runway, depart NRT 16R, engine flame out at V1. @500', LT to 010*, flaps 5* and 1,000' accellerate to 200kts, climb to 3,000, then Autopilot on. You're on a modified downwind for the approach. 3-engine ILS to a full stop, Autopilot off once established. Clear the runway at the highspeed ad stop. Done. In and out in ~20 minutes! They just want to see you fly and that you're trainable!
Panel interview included one PARC rep, who guided the questions, the chief pilot, and a NCA representitive. Standard interview questions (why NCA, you ok with Japanese culture, what would you do if a captain did this..., and a very few general aviation questions. Seems like basically a "Normal" test, verify that you are who you say you are.
After screening, return to hotel and await phone call to let you know that you "passed" the initial screening and will continue to the medical screening the following day. There were more applicants than medical creening slots available, so guys that are based or live in the area were asked to return at a later date for screening. Screening is in a large diagnostic clinic in downtown Tokyo. Train runs from the airport to the city, easy, with no transfers. Screening took 5 hours - extensive vision test (with dilation - bring sunglasses!!), hearing, balance, psych screening, EKG, EKG on treadmill, EEG (brainwave exam), chest exray, barium swallow digestive tract radiogram, E,N,&T exam, blood and urine sample. Return to hotel after about 1pm, and done. Medical tests take about a week to get back to NCA, then about a week for the house doctor to review them, and passs the results to the hiring board. Unclear when we might be notified of intent to offer a contract.

pegasus6234
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
It's pretty quiet here. I haven't gotten the results for my medical yet. Has anyone? I also heard a rumor of a possible earlier class. As implausible as that is (the Japanese plan years in advance,have multiple committee agreements and a manual written) it may change the picture a bit. The FY2013 begins in April and I'm sure that is how the budget was written. Anybody hear anything good or bad?

The Dominican
10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Just wanted to post a correction to one of my earlier posts that was brought to my attention by a colleague, the NCA contract is held by HACS, not CREW, we tend to mix these two due to their common roots but I wanted to make the distinction.

seaplanenow744
10-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Anyone care to comment (if they know) what max BMI is considered acceptable for the "initial" medical.

I've heard numbers as low as a BMI of 27 (max.) or under 30, considering other things are acceptable (i.e. cholesterol, etc...).

Thanks in advance !

The Dominican
10-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Although it isn't a number they do share, but for what I understand in talking to the contract agencies folks is that the magic number is 30 or bellow.

seaplanenow744
10-27-2012, 05:50 PM
as always: thanks Dominican!

I think I owe you a # of beers already -

Yeah, I've heard under 30, too - but then a couple of people started tossing around the "27" number as an initial cut-off.

pegasus6234
11-24-2012, 05:28 AM
I got word last night that background check/etc...paperwork is being sent next week. It sounds like they are starting to get results of the medicals back. What a nail biter.

upspeed
11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Same here! Got the good news yesterday about the JCAB medical.

There's also been talk of moving the first course dates earlier to March, but nothing certain yet.

Fingers crossed.

Upspeed.

I got word last night that background check/etc...paperwork is being sent next week. It sounds like they are starting to get results of the medicals back. What a nail biter.

pegasus6234
12-05-2012, 10:41 AM
NCA is trying to put together a class of 16 for the last week of January. Invitations should go out in the next couple weeks after background checks come back. It's starting to happen finally.

Offwidth
12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
On the HACS application site there is one section that I'm unsure about; it is separate and below "Last PC". What's the best way to fill out the section: "Date-Last Instrument Rating"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

squall line
12-06-2012, 06:31 AM
I was unsure exactly what it was asking as well. On my first run thru, my app timed out and I had to do it all over again. On the 2nd attempt, I decided to leave it blank. It is not marked as being required and I didn't want to have another timeout issue.

SL

WhiskyPilot
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
NCA is trying to put together a class of 16 for the last week of January. Invitations should go out in the next couple weeks after background checks come back. It's starting to happen finally.

Good news! That would be the best Christmas present any of us could hope for!

pegasus6234
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Offwidth- Most of the non-US contract agencies advised me that was the same as the last PC date. Personally I think it is a weird category, but you will always be safe in calling the agency direct and asking them what the heck they want. The HACS contract manager's name is Brooks Toyama - Extension 21. Good luck!

MaxxPower
12-19-2012, 12:36 PM
To the guys who've been notified about their background checks, did you go through PARC or HACS? PARC has been silent for some time now and hasn't answered a couple guys requests for more info.

upspeed
01-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Hi Gents and Ladies,

For those who applied and got the "good news" between Nov/Dec-2012, according to the latest update from one of the recruiting agencies, first class should start in early February for JCAB license holders (not many AFAIK). Second class will be for non-JCAB drivers and this one would start some time around the beginning / middle of March.

Things have been moving slowly recently due to X-mas and especially New Year's, which is a big thing in Japan. I've been informed that NCA pretty much halts ops during this time, and info should start flowing within the next 2 weeks. It also looks like more 748's may arrive earlier than expected and training will probably be for both the -400 and -8! Sweet!

Hope this gives some relief for those biting their nails (me included)!

Cheers,

Upspeed.

moonkey
01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello, I didn't see covered in this discussion. Can somebody clarify what is considered a "Day off" at NCA?

It specifies 8 consecutive days off (or duty free), does that mean that the other two could be assigned on a layover? thanks in advance.

upspeed
01-19-2013, 05:07 AM
No. As far as I know the other 2 would be assigned at your operational base, which would be the same were you get your 8 days off in block (AMS, ORD or LAX).

Cheers,

Upspeed.

Hello, I didn't see covered in this discussion. Can somebody clarify what is considered a "Day off" at NCA?

It specifies 8 consecutive days off (or duty free), does that mean that the other two could be assigned on a layover? thanks in advance.

atl55
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
The contract says you are given 10 days off each month. You request your days off the month in advance and receive your schedule around the 25th of the month. You can break them up or take all 10 in a row. They also can give you what is called a blank day which is like a day off but they can make into a work day if they need you. It is not a reserve day so you can enjoy your blank days at home, but if they have extra flying or trips that need to be covered after the schedule is released then you have to be available. Some months you are not given any and some months you can be given a bunch depending on the flying schedule. Some months you may work the full 20 days and other months you may work as little as 12 days. You are also given 2 blocks of 12 days for vacation. So 2 months out of the year the most you could be scheduled for is 8 days but usually it is less.

upspeed
01-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi There,

Just a couple of questions regarding days off if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. How often do you get the 10 days off in block (as opposed to 8 in a row and 2 separately)?
2. Can you request these back to back? last 10 days of the month with first 10 days of the next? if yes, then how many times per calendar year?
3. I suppose blank days are not included in the 10 days off right?
4. Regarding the vacation days. Can you use these 24 days to extend your 10 days off to for ex 12 by deducting 2/ month from the 24?
5. Last question: average flight time per month?

Really looking forward to starting and will appreciate the extra info!

Upspeed.

The contract says you are given 10 days off each month. You request your days off the month in advance and receive your schedule around the 25th of the month. You can break them up or take all 10 in a row. They also can give you what is called a blank day which is like a day off but they can make into a work day if they need you. It is not a reserve day so you can enjoy your blank days at home, but if they have extra flying or trips that need to be covered after the schedule is released then you have to be available. Some months you are not given any and some months you can be given a bunch depending on the flying schedule. Some months you may work the full 20 days and other months you may work as little as 12 days. You are also given 2 blocks of 12 days for vacation. So 2 months out of the year the most you could be scheduled for is 8 days but usually it is less.

atl55
01-22-2013, 05:28 AM
1. They always give you 10 days off in a row if you request it. Very rarely they will ask you to move your days off. Usually this will only happen around Christmas.
2. You can put your 10 days back to back every month. There are people that commute from all over the world so they are very good about giving you the days this way.
3. Blank days are not included in your 10 days off. They are kinda of a bonus, some months you may not get any, other months you may get five. It all depends on the staffing.
4. Vacation is given in 2 blocks of 12 days, so you can't break them up. Some people bid them back to back and then bid their 10 days off in front of and behind their vacation. So they will be off for a month and a half.
5. Monthly flight times varies, people usually fly any where between 40-70 hours.

Congrats, have they given you a class date yet?

upspeed
01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the reply! It helps a lot when you know a bit more what to expect, specially in regards to things "out of the scope of the formal contract". Overall until now this really seems like one of the few good jobs out there!

I have been given an estimated start between beginning and middle of march, but no exact date yet. I believe the JCAB licensed guys should be starting within the next 2 weeks, but not 100% sure. Maybe someone in that first class could confirm.

Cheers,

Upspeed.

1. They always give you 10 days off in a row if you request it. Very rarely they will ask you to move your days off. Usually this will only happen around Christmas.
2. You can put your 10 days back to back every month. There are people that commute from all over the world so they are very good about giving you the days this way.
3. Blank days are not included in your 10 days off. They are kinda of a bonus, some months you may not get any, other months you may get five. It all depends on the staffing.
4. Vacation is given in 2 blocks of 12 days, so you can't break them up. Some people bid them back to back and then bid their 10 days off in front of and behind their vacation. So they will be off for a month and a half.
5. Monthly flight times varies, people usually fly any where between 40-70 hours.

Congrats, have they given you a class date yet?

atl55
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Upspeed I sent you a PM.

upspeed
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Checked! Thank you!

Upspeed I sent you a PM.

hongkongfoey
02-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Anyone going to screening feb 18-20 ?

seaplanenow744
02-13-2013, 01:47 AM
got the March course -

Thanks to all who provided information and tips in this thread. All greatly appreciated ! Thank you!

Which LAX hotel do you guys normally use?

Best of luck to all !

Cheers!

seaplanenow744
02-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Ok - while I'm at it, where do you guys stay in ANC?

thanks!

cheers!

atl55
02-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Congrats on the class date. We stay at the Crown Plaza Redondo Beach, the Hilton in Anchorage and Westin O'hare. Wish you the best of luck.

whatusay
02-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Does anyone have information with regards to the NCA job KORD base with regards to commuting. I was curious if NCA tries to schedule most of your trips to start and finish in KORD or KLAX? Also, are hotels provided by NCA when you do operate flights to your base? A previous post mentioned a requirment to live in base. It would seem that one could use the commuting allowance to buy a ticket each month to offset the travel expense.

F15andMD11
02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
I was curious if NCA tries to schedule most of your trips to start and finish in KORD or KLAX? My understanding is this to get you to Japan to start your trip. But I guess you could start at base. That would be nice.

atl55
02-16-2013, 05:11 AM
You start your trips out of your base where you are given a hotel room. You can live any where you would like. If you are based in ORD you may go months without even going to Japan, sometimes you are just scheduled to fly with in the US.

F15andMD11
02-16-2013, 06:51 AM
If you are based in ORD you may go months without even going to Japan, sometimes you are just scheduled to fly with in the US. Really?! Wow... Hoping to hear from them.

seaplanenow744
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
thanks for all the info Atl55 -

cheers !

rv8builder
03-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Has anyone heard anything new at NCA? I interviewed last year with Parc and was successful (I think!).... but not a peep since.

Thx in advance!

The Dominican
03-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Has anyone heard anything new at NCA? I interviewed last year with Parc and was successful (I think!).... but not a peep since.

Thx in advance!

I would get in touch with them and ask, you should have been told by now one way or another.:confused:

PotatoChip
04-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Anyone from the last batch of new hires care to speak of how training has been? More interviews are happening in May and June, curious what people have thought so far.

MaxxPower
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Myself and many friends/acquaintances have gone through the screening... none have passed the medical, nobody knows why they have failed, most are young and fit.

The Dominican
04-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Myself and many friends/acquaintances have gone through the screening... none have passed the medical, nobody knows why they have failed, most are young and fit.

They will not tell you unless it is life threatening, the Japanese are strict on regards to numbers, could be triglycerides, blood pressure, cholesterol, out of their green range (a range set for a fit Japanese) then you are failed, could be something as simple as getting into a diet for a few weeks to bring your numbers back to what they want them, but they just fail the medical instead.

F15andMD11
04-12-2013, 05:58 AM
You would think with that "wash out" rate they would run out of candidates.
Same with Korean and their 45yo FO age requirement.

PotatoChip
04-12-2013, 05:58 AM

Sorry to hear that. That is my biggest fear as well. I'm early 30s, very fit, active runner/gym rat, no known medical problems or medications.... But just worried they'll find something.

I wonder how many candidates fail due to white coat hypertension over the anxiety of this thing...

oicur12
04-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Is the time on type mandatory is there any wiggle room with widebody time on other types?

Palmtree Pilot
04-12-2013, 07:45 AM
... someone new in a higher position trying to make a name for themselves by not approving many "round eyes" physical results.

I am in my 30's, very active with mountain biking, trail running and hiking, healthy diet, less than 20% body fat, don't smoke and have never had ANY health issues. I failed the medical in October. I've heard some are getting to redo small things that didn't meet the standard.

Of 6 guys I know that went through the process, the one that passed the medical ended up going to Atlas.:p

I know what test I didn't pass and it was because I couldn't understand what they wanted me to do, and realized half way through I was doing wrong. The young woman corrected me and continued, but I don't know if they started the test over or just continued with what I had. I've never failed this particular visual test before...:eek: That was the hardest thing in the whole medical process, trying to understand people that barely speak english

Good company and great job if you can get through the whole process. It can be done, so don't worry about failing...just do it.

WhiskyPilot
04-12-2013, 08:08 AM
I also failed the medical and am in excellent shape. It must drive HACS and PARC crazy to have so many good candidates bust the medical. They had to send me out twice, once for the interview and once for the medical - lots of money spent on plane tickets! The good thing is the flights and hotel are paid for, so you're not out that expense if you do go interview. Eventually they are going to run out of guys with 747 time to interview.

gcpilot
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Is the time on type mandatory is there any wiggle room with widebody time on other types?

time on type is the biggest challenges for many pilots that have time in wide bodies but not in the very 747. i heard that they are very firm on time on type.

A question to pilots on this forum that have time in type on the 747, how would one go get some time on the 747? Atlas and polar and some cargo/charter outfit have those 747 here in the states, but apart from that where would one pick up those time on 747s?

Palmtree Pilot
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
time on type is the biggest challenges for many pilots that have time in wide bodies but not in the very 747. i heard that they are very firm on time on type.

A question to pilots on this forum that have time in type on the 747, how would one go get some time on the 747? Atlas and polar and some cargo/charter outfit have those 747 here in the states, but apart from that where would one pick up those time on 747s?

Atlas, Kalitta and Southern are the only one that hire into the 744 in the U.S. I was at World for 6 years before furlough, so I know you can count them out, probably for good. You might be able to get on with Air Atlanta Icelandic with a JAA ATP and widebody time. Other than that, I don't know any other carriers that hire into it unless your typed with time.

PotatoChip
04-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I also failed the medical and am in excellent shape. It must drive HACS and PARC crazy to have so many good candidates bust the medical. They had to send me out twice, once for the interview and once for the medical - lots of money spent on plane tickets! The good thing is the flights and hotel are paid for, so you're not out that expense if you do go interview. Eventually they are going to run out of guys with 747 time to interview.

I drives ME crazy! It's my biggest concern. I'm just not sure if it's worth blowing half of my vacation days for the year to interview for a job I may not get due to some random medical reason I'm not even privy to. I would love to get on with NCA, but I am nervous I'm going to blow this medical for no reason.

PotatoChip
05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone go through the May screening?

UPDRAFT
05-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Heard the class is in Nov. so they are probably taking their time.

PotatoChip
05-11-2013, 07:46 AM
One class in Oct, one in Nov. They had screenings last week and more in June.

hongkongfoey
06-02-2013, 05:47 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Coopspeed
07-24-2013, 02:49 PM
The latest rumor is that next month the company doctor retires. His replacement will probably be more lenient. He is the one failing a lot of applicants.

Good luck.

Pilotjc12
07-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Hi all,
Just wondering if NCA is planning on hiring any pilots....i heard that there are many JAL pilots working at NCA....are they going back to JAL any time soon?
Btw, i am new here currently work in asia as 744 FO.

Thanks...

PotatoChip
07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
All the JAL pilots have returned. No hiring currently, but I did just hear a rumor of 20 possible new hires by the end of the year.

Pilotjc12
07-20-2014, 04:41 AM
Thanks! I will keep my hopes up!

All the JAL pilots have returned. No hiring currently, but I did just hear a rumor of 20 possible new hires by the end of the year.

Pilotjc12
07-16-2015, 07:00 PM
I just applied for b744 fo position thru parc aviation...just what the schedule is like if i were to get based in LAX. And i heard nca upgrades i house is this correct?

The Dominican
07-16-2015, 07:58 PM
I just applied for b744 fo position thru parc aviation...just what the schedule is like if i were to get based in LAX. And i heard nca upgrades i house is this correct?

I work for another carrier mind you but I do know many folks working there...., they do upgrade from within and there will be some limited hiring apparently but a long time to upgrade right now since there is some stagnation.

Braniff DC8
07-16-2015, 08:14 PM
I know someone too and its just ok. You are a contract worker for a Japanese airline. Ask the JALways guys how it worked out for them! They will always try to promote Japanese first. There are even rumors of DECs. My buddy is trying to go but hes being picky.

The Dominican
07-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Ask the JALways guys how it worked out for them! They will always try to promote Japanese first. There are even rumors of DEC.

JAL entered in bankruptcy and not only the Jalways guys were let go but also many of the JAL mainline pilots...., Jalways gave everyone plenty of time to get other jobs and cancelled their contracts with 4 months of pay....! I would say that under the circumstances they were treated fairly.

There are many of those pilots working with AJX today and there is no ill will from any of them towards Jalways.

And about your comment of a Japanese company promoting Japanese pilots first...., regrettably you are misinformed. At NCA as well as at AJX..., all pilots are under contract (Japanese or expats) and the upgrades are by longevity.

Also their training is formed by both expats and Japanese instructors and all pilots receive evaluations from both groups of instructors.

There are just a handful of places that upgrade pilots from within in the contract world...., these two specific companies in Japan (NCA, AJX) do have a working upgrade program in place.

Braniff DC8
07-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Not bashing Dominican. My buddy did not fair so well. He's not bitter just bad timing. He's not angry just tired is all. He keeps getting told different things and of course the contract was changed when time to sign. NCA does have some history as you know. I've been looking at Japan but the training thing would kill me. You are always a great source of info and sorry If my information is a bit different. Rumor has it that JAL may need expats again. Thanks.

The Dominican
07-17-2015, 01:40 AM
Why would the long training period kill you? They pay your entire salary (no training pay) since day one and although it is indeed long....., you do get a lot of time off so it is not really that bad...., at least for me that came from timing out just about every year before coming here..., the time away from the flight deck was welcomed...., my family came and spent several months with me in a furnished apartment in a nice area of Tokio and I had plenty of time off for sightseeing...., it wasn't bad at all.

Well..., JAL and the rumors of a new "gaijin" contract....!

I've been hearing the same thing for a while now, I had a couple of cold ones with two of their pilots in HKG a few months back and they are very short on crews..., many A/C's on order lots of retirements and having the same trouble recruiting locals as ANA is having...., they see no other way around it but to look for pilots on the expat market.

Companies like Peach.., Jetstar Japan, Spring Airlines, Vanilla Air are having a very difficult time hiring as well

Braniff DC8
07-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks Dom. Its not the pay or time off, it's having to study for ten months! Even for an RJ which I am already typed in. I have previous 757/767 time as well. JAL, will have a hard time as will/do all the Asian carriers. The reason the Japanese carriers are having a bit of hard time getting really high qualified guys is because of the really excessively long training.

NCA keeps changing business ideas and my buddy is not sure what the hell is going on.

Japan is a beautiful country and the people are lovely but 9-10 months to train already qualified pilot seems to be overkill. Also, why is it always so damn windy in Japan. And of course there's Godzilla.

tailendcharlie
07-19-2015, 02:53 PM
I'll say the same thing about the "short of crews" statement I've been saying for some time: Have a program to hire well-experienced expat FO's into a fast-track captain program.

Still plenty of 40-50 something folks here in the US that for one reason or another (911, picked the wrong airline, started late) have 10,000+ hours heavy time plus type ratings but are career FO's. They're not leaving for an FO contract but it'd be a different story if there was a quick path to a captain gig.

The fact that no one has tapped into this pool of pilots tells me they're maybe just not that hard up for people after all.....

Pindan Pirate
07-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Any one care to PM me some more specifics of this contract. The one on Parc and HACS is very vague and would like a tad more info.
ie

Pay Scales
Commuting details/ allowance (if any)
Staff Travel (if any)

Also a roster would be nice to see as well

Cheers

Don Julio
07-19-2015, 07:08 PM
I'll say the same thing about the "short of crews" statement I've been saying for some time: Have a program to hire well-experienced expat FO's into a fast-track captain program.

Still plenty of 40-50 something folks here in the US that for one reason or another (911, picked the wrong airline, started late) have 10,000+ hours heavy time plus type ratings but are career FO's. They're not leaving for an FO contract but it'd be a different story if there was a quick path to a captain gig.

The fact that no one has tapped into this pool of pilots tells me they're maybe just not that hard up for people after all.....
Actually all the Western copilots are very experienced. The top 14 copilots have been at NCA for over 9 years and have been waiting their turn. Most have flown captain at previous airlines, so it is not an experience issue. All of the other 30, hired over the past 3 years, had the 400 type rating with international widebody experience when they were hired. The company is shrinking and trying to get rid of the 400's and keep the 8 -8F's. If you look at Kalitta's last 2 -400's, they are NCA airplanes with tail numbers ending in KZ. The attrition rate is very high with Captain's and Copilots leaving. If you go to NCA you will be at the bottom of the list and they say they will guarantee 2 upgrades a year. So you can do the math on the upgrade opportunities. You also will go to year 1 Captain pay on the longevity scale. So current 10 year pay copilots will go to year 1 Captain pay which is not much of a diference in pay. You also will be hired on a "B" scale. If you are an American you will be on less because you will only get paid a $400 commuting allowance while everyone else gets $1300 - $1450. Depending where you live you will have to reach into your pocket to commute. There are no Jumpseats or ZED fares. It really gets expensive when you get your schedule on the 24th and you have to buy a ticket to commute on your day off, on the last day of the month because you fly on the first.
It use to be the best contract, but it is not anymore. The company just keeps taking but not giving anything back. There are many more issues, but these are just a few.

tailendcharlie
07-19-2015, 08:44 PM
Interesting......thanks for the info.

"It's not what it used to be"....... a familiar refrain.

PotatoChip
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I'll add some info and clarifications...
Don Julio is 100% correct.

The long training time in Japan is completely what you make of it. I spent eight months there and completely loved it, with occasional bouts of being homesick. Largely however, it was a unique an enjoyable experience that I took advantage of.

The Dominican is usually spot on it has lots of great insight, however there are a few pieces of wrong information in this thread. NCA absolutely will and does hire Japanese DECs, and hire copilots that will upgrade out of seniority above western pilots. Japanese pilots come first, period.

19/20 of the Japanese pilots I have flown with have been great. There is an obvious language barrier, but they are usually very pleasant and friendly.

Expect to be a copilot for a very long time. I would anticipate at least 10 years. It is decent pay at the start, but it stagnates and you will never received a decent raise, now will your schedule ever get any better.

I enjoy the job, however it definitely seems to be degrading quickly.

PotatoChip
07-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Also, another correction.

We do not get 100% pay during training. You will receive training pay which is 75% of base pay. You will, however, receive cash per diem, which is very significant.

Skystar
07-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Hi folks,

I'm interested in NCA as well. I've received all documentation from PARC and apparently is ok but roster looks hard.

Anyone can tell me, more or less, how the roster usually is? I have requested AMS base just if somebody else has this base too.

And also, could you please throw some light on the fact of spending 6-8 months in Tokyo for the training course. According to the info is to convert license into JACB but whatever you can say is appreciated.

Thank you!

FENA58
07-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Any one familiar with this company they are hiring crew for -200 classic based in Estonia?

Don Julio
07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi folks,

I'm interested in NCA as well. I've received all documentation from PARC and apparently is ok but roster looks hard.

Anyone can tell me, more or less, how the roster usually is? I have requested AMS base just if somebody else has this base too.

And also, could you please throw some light on the fact of spending 6-8 months in Tokyo for the training course. According to the info is to convert license into JACB but whatever you can say is appreciated.

Thank you!
Guys are probably averaging 10-14 days off a month, but these numbers are shrinking as more pilots leave. Depending on which base you are in you will be commuting on your days off. AMS you will start your trip early so you will have to commute in the day before but you can commute home on your last day. The problem with AMS is there are only 3 flights a week so you may have to hang around a few days in NRT to deadhead back to AMS. The schedules are hard because there is no fatigue manage program so 2 pilots can fly up to 12 hours and 3 pilots up to 15 hours. You can arrive from AMS - MXP- NRT in the morning with a 3 man crew then the next day do a day trip to PVG followed by a night trip the following night to HKG and back. Or you could do a 3-man LAX - SFO-NRT arrive in the morning then do a 2 man NRT-LAX the next morning usually with a Captain deadheading in the back. The problem is they build all the scheduled by hand with pencil and paper and they keep rotating crew schedulers from different departments. So last week they were in sales now they are building your schedule. There is a big learning curve and the pilots pay the price for it.

The 6-8 months in Japan is as Potato Chip said what you make of it. It is not a crazy 8 months of studying it is a marathon not a sprint. You will have plenty of wasted time just hanging around the hotel. Some people work out, some people go out drinking and chase women and other people just sit and the room and surf the internet. The best way to get through it is to do all of the above. There is usually someone around to do something just to take your mind off the training. Once you are finished with the JCAB check ride then the training is very relaxed. The Japanese instructors are friendly and nice but they do expect you to study, that is one reason they give you so much time off in Japan. If you read the Air Japan thread there are many similarities.

Jungledriver
07-22-2015, 05:00 PM
How does the screening process goes? Standard interview, sim, medical exam? Any details?

Pindan Pirate
07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
I read that they still have yet to receive or exercise (depending on which one is correct) the last 6 747-8F from Boeing.

Are they options to be exercised or firm orders yet to be delivered?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jungledriver
07-24-2015, 10:55 AM
So thats why they are hiring and now they do not require 747 type. Must need a lot of crew.

Don Julio
07-25-2015, 01:13 PM
No one really knows what will happen with those 6 -8Fs. The company has said they want to just operate 8F's and maybe keep 1 or 2 400's around for charters. They currently have airplanes sitting on the ramp that they are not flying because of lack of flight crew but they really do not want to hire. They have the business but keep turning it down due to lack of crews. They will probably lose at least 6 pilots by the time the 6 new hires start in January and they won't be on the line until October. So schedules will not get any easier for a long time.

The reason they are hiring non-type rated pilots is they are looking for lower time pilots who will not be looking to leave so quickly. This way they can open up the pool to a broader group of pilots and put them on a lower payscale. No one use to leave NCA except when they retired, but that has all changed. Even Japanese pilots are leaving which is unheard of in Japan.

Everything is not all negative but things have changed so much. The people you fly with are great, the maintenance is excellent, you never have to worry about having enough fuel and training is fairly relaxed once you get on the line.

PotatoChip
07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Everything is not all negative but things have changed so much. The people you fly with are great, the maintenance is excellent, you never have to worry about having enough fuel and training is fairly relaxed once you get on the line..

And if you do worry about not having enough fuel you get a nice little paid vacation :D:p

We recently had one Japanese copilot leave for Emirates... Now THAT is unheard of. Not to mention guys with 8+ years leaving. I can't possibly see this being a long term destination anymore. Sucks.

Pindan Pirate
07-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Wow moving to EK is def a surprise...
Sounds like the gig is a bit of gamble. If they get more frames in near future could be a winner. If freight conditions stay challenging then might be a longtime F/O. Either way from the job I'm in apart from being home all the time, NCA would be leaps and bounds better. Pay for start, support and operation all light years better

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Iron Maiden
07-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Whats the medical like in Japan? Anything like the chinese astronaut medical?

PotatoChip
07-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Whats the medical like in Japan? Anything like the chinese astronaut medical?

Top/Search this thread/medical/enter/all your questions answered.

Kapitanleutnant
07-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Wow., I thought NCA was one of the primo jobs along with the airline Domincan flies for!!

Guess all these managers went to the same school….

Kap

The Dominican
07-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Ever since ANA sold their majority on NCA it has steadily gone downhill....! And the T&C'S along with it. They are trying to get some capital by selling their 744's but there are very few buyers on the market right now.

There was a rumor going on a few months back that ANA wanted to buy them back and turn everything into ANA Cargo along with the 76 freighters but I haven't heard anything else in a long time now.

Will see I guess..! ANA is keeping very tight lip about their future plans.....!

PotatoChip
07-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Ever since ANA sold their majority on NCA it has steadily gone downhill....! And the T&C'S along with it. They are trying to get some capital by selling their 744's but there are very few buyers on the market right now.

There was a rumor going on a few months back that ANA wanted to buy them back and turn everything into ANA Cargo along with the 76 freighters but I haven't heard anything else in a long time now.

Will see I guess..! ANA is keeping very tight lip about their future plans.....!

Yup. Definitely has gone downhill. Our new schedulers have only made matters much worse. Huge discrepancies in days off between pilots with zero reason given, and an attitude of "deal with it".

Haven't heard anything about the ANA rumor in about five months. It would be interesting if it happened... I could use an HNL overnight!

Atol
07-31-2015, 04:32 AM
Hello,
I have a question about the medical exam in Japan (and China). I understand they are strict - I have an ankle arthrodesis (a tractor ran on my foot 25 years ago) and I also have lots of scars on my leg.
I have no problem walking (and running on a short distance) and I don't have any limitation on the EASA/FAA/Canadian medical certificate.
I am flying the A330 as FO in Canada but I would like to move away from here. Do you think my problem is a no go for Japan (or China)?
Thank you for your help

PotatoChip
07-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Hello,
I have a question about the medical exam in Japan (and China). I understand they are strict - I have an ankle arthrodesis (a tractor ran on my foot 25 years ago) and I also have lots of scars on my leg.
I have no problem walking (and running on a short distance) and I don't have any limitation on the EASA/FAA/Canadian medical certificate.
I am flying the A330 as FO in Canada but I would like to move away from here. Do you think my problem is a no go for Japan (or China)?
Thank you for your help

You won't know until you try.

Honestly, just don't disclose it (or any other medical problem) to them. Let them find it. The only two medical tests that you may have issue with are balancing on one foot for thirty seconds with your eyes closed, and the EKG stress test on the treadmill if you show any kind of a limp. If you can pass through those you should be fine.

Don Julio
08-01-2015, 02:31 PM
Wow., I thought NCA was one of the primo jobs along with the airline Domincan flies for!!

Guess all these managers went to the same school….

Kap
Yes it is a shame, people have left for the Desert, Korean and China. So that is a good indication of the direction things are going. There are also guys heading back to the Legacy carriers in the US. In years past guys have resigned from Delta and United to stay because it was such a great contract. That is not happening anymore. Most of the guys have applications out and are looking for something else.

AirlineOasis
08-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Things is Asia in general are not all that they seem these days. Have a look at an airline in the Fragrant Harbor. Once known as the premier airline pilot job in the world, most are clamoring to move on. Flying a B747 around the world in a foreign land is phenomenal when you are out of work at home, but once home calls again, there is nothing better than a job at a US legacy.

Having your schedule dictated to you and being gone 7-10+ days at a time is a grand adventure in the beginning, but it can where on you mentally and definitely physically as time goes by.

tailendcharlie
09-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Regarding NCA, what would QOL/schedule be if you live in base, say LAX?

PotatoChip
09-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Regarding NCA, what would QOL/schedule be if you live in base, say LAX?

LAX...
You get 10 guaranteed days off a month, you can split that into 5/5 or 6/4 etc. you may be awarded some additional "blank days" which are essentially at home reserve days, you just need to be contactable.
Let's assume an average of 11 to 13 days off a month, but certainly as few as 10 is possible.

Your first flight will be LAX - SFO – NRT with a three man crew. Once in NRT you may spend the next week or so flying out and backs to Asian cities, sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, however they can mess up your body clock the most. Once you are thoroughly fatigued, you will fly a two-man flight across the Pacific back to LAX. Yes, two-man crew across the Pacific.

Alternatively, you may just pop back and forth across the Pacific, that is much preferred. Good luck getting it. The Excel in NRT Will become your second home. You may occasionally fly over to ANC or ORD, but rarely.

Any flying over 65 hours is above guarantee "overtime".
Rinse, wash, repeat.

tailendcharlie
09-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info....

do2g
07-22-2017, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone,

Would just like to revive this old thread as I am looking for infos on NCA myself. Is my understanding the company has gone through some shrinking, however finding accurate informations (or even something more substantial than a simple rumour) is very hard. What is the outlook of NCA? People leaving and will continue to do so? Time to command stretching even further? Or are there signs (however small) of improvement?

Thanks

Braniff DC8
07-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Expat jobs are plentiful for a reason. Trust me when I tell you, it's not worth it. You don't have to work for a U.S. major to be a successful, professional pilot.

Those great expat jobs are really not so great. Yes, go read Fragrant Harbour on the PPRUNE or even better, the ME forum about Emirates. Simply put, being an expat, or working for a foreign carrier, SUCKS!

If you're flying a widebody, or any body, in your home country, STAY PUT! Just trust me. If you have a job, keep your job, make the best of your job and stay home. Moving or going to a foreign carrier will wear off very quickly, believe me.

If the training alone does not make you realize, then flying the line will. Just you wait till check ride time and the astronaut physical EVERY year. And you just wait until you get to fly with an Ozzie!

Enjoy

Palmtree Pilot
07-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone,

Would just like to revive this old thread as I am looking for infos on NCA myself. Is my understanding the company has gone through some shrinking, however finding accurate informations (or even something more substantial than a simple rumour) is very hard. What is the outlook of NCA? People leaving and will continue to do so? Time to command stretching even further? Or are there signs (however small) of improvement?

Thanks

NO, there are not even small signs. Still sending a second 400 to Atlas to do NCA flying, so less upgrades and less money for long term copilots, and the schedules just continue to SUCK and get worse. They have no orders and no plans for anything after these -8s wear out. More resignations from both seats than they can keep up with in hiring. No raises in contract signed in May. Flying 780-920 hours a year flipping back in forth between day and night and day with 24 hour layovers after 15 hour duty days with 2 pilot, 2 leg days. 10 days off a month and sometimes commuting on them.

Be more specific about what you want out of coming here and where you are coming from geographically and you may get better answers.

PotatoChip
07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
NO, there are not even small signs. Still sending a second 400 to Atlas to do NCA flying, so less upgrades and less money for long term copilots, and the schedules just continue to SUCK and get worse. They have no orders and no plans for anything after these -8s wear out. More resignations from both seats than they can keep up with in hiring. No raises in contract signed in May. Flying 780-920 hours a year flipping back in forth between day and night and day with 24 hour layovers after 15 hour duty days with 2 pilot, 2 leg days. 10 days off a month and sometimes commuting on them.

Be more specific about what you want out of coming here and where you are coming from geographically and you may get better answers.

Hey Palmtree,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I made the tough decision to quit last year, and I didn't want to leave. I saw a negative trend starting to pick up speed and didn't want to pass V1 while at NCA. The jury is still out if I made the right call, but from all my friends that are still there it doesn't sound like much of anything is improving. I know some of them are actively looking for alternatives. It's disappointing considering how great it could be there.

John Carr
07-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Hey Palmtree,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. I made the tough decision to quit last year, and I didn't want to leave. I saw a negative trend starting to pick up speed and didn't want to pass V1 while at NCA. The jury is still out if I made the right call, but from all my friends that are still there it doesn't sound like much of anything is improving. I know some of them are actively looking for alternatives. It's disappointing considering how great it could be there.

Man, what a shame.

Years back, before NYK bought them out the NCA 74 contract gig was one of the best kept secrets and a highly coveted gig in that world.

Shibuya
07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
For Do2g,

Someone else can fact check this but:

They fired all their expat pilots a number of years ago. The guys sued the company for breach of contract and WON. I k ow someone personally who was in the pilot group.

Nippon Yusen owns NCA. Most of their business is with surface ships. I think NCA runs at a loss but it ties into their shipping plan somehow.

Of all the people to meet at a baseball game I sat next to someone who works there just recently. They are contracting out as much of the -400 flying as they can because the jets are old and cost so much to fix because of JCAB regulations.

Was told 2 years ago that it's a 15 year upgrade.

Hope that is accurate and helpful.

do2g
07-27-2017, 01:00 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their answers and insights.

A broad picture of the current state of affairs is what I was looking for and I got it.
I am all too familiar with what being and expat means in this industry, PotatoChip mentioned a negative trend starting to pick up speed, which is what is happening in my current outfit as well and the reason why I am looking elsewhere.
I suppose I'll have to keep looking.