Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

clearprop
10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Russia to allow carriers to hire foreign pilots | ATWOnline (http://atwonline.com/international-aviation-regulation/news/russia-allow-carriers-hire-foreign-pilots-1010?NL=ATW-04&[email protected]&YM_MID=1345239)

FLowpayFO
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna guess Russians won't be too friendly to the expats..

Red97Vette
10-11-2012, 06:55 AM
In Russia plane fly u

The Dominican
10-11-2012, 10:33 AM
This is an interesting development, even if you are not interested in that market it will put pressure in the already strained supply of qualified crews worldwide.

DryMotorBoatin
10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
In Russia plane fly u

This post has made me laugh all day.

DYNASTY HVY
10-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Understatement of the year and if your American there's a bit of anti Americanism going on at the moment.
Travel is just a wee bit restrictive in some areas of Russia still.

Elvis90
10-12-2012, 04:20 AM
It's because their pilots keep dying in crashes. Their mishap rate is 10 times the world average, and twice the rate of te average airline in Africa.

Why planes crash: air accident statistics and banned airlines - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/7844042/Why-planes-crash-air-accident-statistics-and-banned-airlines.html?image=5)

rotorhead1026
10-12-2012, 05:02 AM

Da, comrade! :D

zondaracer
10-12-2012, 05:15 AM
The Russian pilot shortage has been well known for awhile. I have a friend at Aeroflot who became an A320 captain at 26 years old. I think Aeroflot announced that they were going to build a flying academy to meet the shortage. I know many pilots here in western Europe that would give their arm to get on with a Russian carrier.

rotorhead1026
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
It's an interesting situation. I can't speak for Russia specifically, but I see "eastern bloc" pilots interviewing in Asia. Part of the shortage may be that many native pilots will give their arm to get away from a Russian carrier. I just don't know.

galaxy flyer
10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Ya think?

GF

sushka02
10-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Where are the jobs? I speak Fluent Russian. Sign me up!

Hawker Driver
10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Jump seated in an Illushin 76 from Madrid to Moscow years ago. The entire instrument panel was in Cyrillic. I could not make sense of it. The altimeters were in meters. The flight engineer had his very own set of engine controls on his table. He adjusted all power controls from engine start until shutdown on the captains command. The navigator, a 26 year veteran of Aeroflot, rotated all navigation knobs including the heading bug. The pilots never touched them.

bcpilot
10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
APPLY IF YOU HAVETHE SKILLS....:)

экстремальный взлет в Бодайбо.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/CLnfoeY77LI)

TurboDVR42
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Part of the shortage may be that many native pilots will give their arm to get away from a Russian carrier. I just don't know.

The main carriers (Aeroflot, Rossiya, Transaero, S7, and few others) do pay very well. Not to mention Aeroflot has the newest fleet in the industry with over 100+ airplanes on order. I have few friends over there who are flying there and making well into 6 digits....

siemprerojo
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
The got the freight out AND made some nice rows for a garden when/if spring arrives

clearprop
10-25-2012, 03:59 PM

экстремальный взлет в Бодайбо.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/embed/CLnfoeY77LI)

awesome....

Lifeisgood
11-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Great news! Shortage has been very severe for sometime, part of it is due to Russian pilots themselves going to foreign carriers.
Once things start going be very careful reading over the contracts and make sure there is a way for you to bail, because the Russian way is dishonesty in everything.
Do not ever believe anything promised verbally.

Here is how things are today, not to say that it all might change:

Pay has come up significantly; just a little while ago wasnt good at all.
Captains: $10-11K
AFL A330 Captains make close to $14K, but fly worldwide ops (exp. USA) with 2 men crews regardless of flight time. No typo.
FO's: $4-7K
Everyone flies very close to 92 hours of block time/month for that pay, which is Russian legal monthly limit.

The fleet is new, but they run it like they are in the 80's - no acars, no cpdlc, yes you will have to get atis over the radio, no comms with dispatch in flight in fact many airlines still don't have dispatchers at all. Once you get in the cockpit you are on your own.

Very inexperienced FOs 80 hours TT in cessnas for a new pilot is a norm, many are returning to flying after 10-15 years totally out of the industry.

Moscow looks very European now and is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Traffic is bad. Terrible to non-existant healthcare system. If you do go there you will oppose social medicine for the rest of your life.

No seniority system. Whoever is connected gets to upgrade, whoever brings wine to scheds flies better trips.
For connected guys there is an upgrade program designed for pilots with less than 800 hours total time. 24-25 year old captains is a norm now, but you will also see 50+ y.o. FOs.

8 days off per month is max, 4-5 average. Lots of red eyes. They do have good vacations - 30-40 days per year. Training is on days off.

Very long IOE's - up to 6 months. Aeroflot has ground school programs up to 2 years. Pay in training - ~$800/month.

Very few people speak English, including the crew members.

Russian mentality is to cut the corners. If you are not comfortable with it you will not last long.

sushka02
11-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Great news! Shortage has been very severe for sometime, part of it is due to Russian pilots themselves going to foreign carriers.
Once things start going be very careful reading over the contracts and make sure there is a way for you to bail, because the Russian way is dishonesty in everything.
Do not ever believe anything promised verbally.

Here is how things are today, not to say that it all might change:

Pay has come up significantly; just a little while ago wasnt good at all.
Captains: $10-11K
AFL A330 Captains make close to $14K, but fly worldwide ops (exp. USA) with 2 men crews regardless of flight time. No typo.
FO's: $4-7K
Everyone flies very close to 92 hours of block time/month for that pay, which is Russian legal monthly limit.

The fleet is new, but they run it like they are in the 80's - no acars, no cpdlc, yes you will have to get atis over the radio, no comms with dispatch in flight in fact many airlines still don't have dispatchers at all. Once you get in the cockpit you are on your own.

Very inexperienced FOs 80 hours TT in cessnas for a new pilot is a norm, many are returning to flying after 10-15 years totally out of the industry.

Moscow looks very European now and is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Traffic is bad. Terrible to non-existant healthcare system. If you do go there you will oppose social medicine for the rest of your life.

No seniority system. Whoever is connected gets to upgrade, whoever brings wine to scheds flies better trips.
For connected guys there is an upgrade program designed for pilots with less than 800 hours total time. 24-25 year old captains is a norm now, but you will also see 50+ y.o. FOs.

8 days off per month is max, 4-5 average. Lots of red eyes. They do have good vacations - 30-40 days per year. Training is on days off.

Very long IOE's - up to 6 months. Aeroflot has ground school programs up to 2 years. Pay in training - ~$800/month.

Very few people speak English, including the crew members.

Russian mentality is to cut the corners. If you are not comfortable with it you will not last long.

Great write up!
The working conditions do not sound good. It reminds me of my Ukrainian mother in law who works 3-4 24/hr shifts per week at her job. People are used to working long and hard there.
I turned down a job in Russia recently partly because of the fact that I would not have any hard days off.
It's hard to come from good work rules here to crap rules over there. Someday, I hope to find a nice job there..

Lifeisgood
11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, like I said hopefully things will improve.

Presently the management’s approach is “we pay you great money (figures above indeed are great for Russia) therefore you own you. We will deadhead you to Yakutsk, sit there for 3 hours and then fly to Beijing, do it every other day and it is completely legal.”

I think things will improve once they realize that the bar for work rules outside of Russia is higher and they will need to attract people somehow. They might get a few pilots from Turkmenistan, etc. willing to work long term like this, but overall and overtime I think there will be good changes.

surfnski
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM

Good god man

DYNASTY HVY
11-03-2012, 02:50 AM

LOL! I see someone else found the video I posted in the odds and ends thread .
BTW .Speaking from experience it's best to keep ones wallet in the front pocket over in Russia.

rotorhead1026
11-03-2012, 06:58 AM
keep ones wallet in the front pocket over in Russia.

That's a story that needs telling, however painful it may be to re-live it. :)

lionflyer
11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Vodka Burner: IL-76 take off Australia - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u6c8YL7yjJc)

I like the vodka burner myself!

Lifeisgood
11-03-2012, 09:23 AM
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/1/1/9/0995911.jpg

Regarding the videos and this picture:

That is what I meant by the Russian mentality is cutting corners..
Dont kid yourself you will not see this every day or maybe even every year, but it is possible to see.
Do they have rules about it? Yes, they do. Do people get punished? Yes, they do. But they still do it.

With that being said it also heavily depends on the company you work for and the internals practices.

Communism really screwed them up very little respect for rules and even lives sometimes. Very high tolerances to risk as a WSJ reported put it.
Breaking the law and getting away with it is the Russian national sport. The russians themselves call it "the very special and unique russian soul longing for freedom" or something like that.
I guess because some laws are stupid.

That is why I think having ex pats will be good for Russia. It will dilute this culture of cowboy-ism and bring professional responsibility and education to a new level.

Biggie
11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Yes, like I said hopefully things will improve.

I think things will improve once they realize that the bar for work rules outside of Russia is higher and they will need to attract people somehow. They might get a few pilots from Turkmenistan, etc. willing to work long term like this, but overall and overtime I think there will be good changes.

Just had my first trip and layover, to Azebaijan. I knew the Russians were very interested in it, due to oil and pipelines for it. I didn't know, as part of the former USSR; how much a part of the former Empire, they were. Appears to still have many ethnic Russians, with Russian being the main (2nd ?) language. DH'd on Azerbaijan Airlines and the inflight magazine had a good article on the new aviation academy. The airport improvments, aircraft (many new Boeings/Airbuses) and Academy, appear to be financed with petroleum money.

Courses cover all aviation fields. The pilot program being a post secondary school program, with the option for college courses.

It may take longer for things to improve; if Azerbaijan can provide a good number of pilots.

Biggie

DYNASTY HVY
11-04-2012, 03:55 PM
That's a story that needs telling, however painful it may be to re-live it. :)
Happened at one of the Metro stations in Moscow years ago and the funny thing is the pickpocket was a female who was behind me on the escalator and if you,ve ever been in Moscow those things are long.
Don't know why but I reached around to grab my wallet and it was gone and at the same time she was headed for the platform and it's difficult to give chase in such a crowded area but I tried anyway too no avail.
Needless to say having to take the time to replace stolen cards and such is time consuming .

zombiepilot
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Wanted to share this video too. I do not know if is the major Russian Airline...
вылет из Шереметьево без обработки самолёта - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=925MgqyU2NA&feature=youtu.be)

Maybe the considered a safe take off. I fly hot weather, so I have no idea.
Share your thoughts.

Bye

lionflyer
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Wanted to share this video too. I do not know if is the major Russian Airline...
вылет из Шереметьево без обработки самолёта - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=925MgqyU2NA&feature=youtu.be)

Maybe the considered a safe take off. I fly hot weather, so I have no idea.
Share your thoughts.

Bye

If I was holding that camera, I'd be $$$hitting myself! They're darn lucky that snow blew off.

zombiepilot
11-08-2012, 06:34 PM
If I was holding that camera, I'd be $$$hitting myself! They're darn lucky that snow blew off.

hahaha me too!! i was not wrong at all i guess :)
i guess you have to have balls of steel to fly there.

WHACKMASTER
11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
hahaha me too!! i was not wrong at all i guess :)
i guess you have to have balls of steel to fly there.

Regarding that video, you are mistaking balls of steel for very poor judgement. If that's the kind of stuff that goes on over there, is there any wonder why their accident rate is so high?

No thanks. You couldn't pay me enough to be involved with an operation that takes off in a modern turbojet with oodles of snow on the wings. DUMB!!!