Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : USAF military leave for Canada?

Vandal
10-25-2012, 09:05 PM
This might be a silly inquiry but it doesn't hurt to ask. Dual citizen here, hired by US Air Force Reserve. If, IF eventually I could get a job with Air Canada or Westjet (not even sure I would be competitively qualified or would even want to), would they honor USAF military commitments the way US companies are legally bound to do so?

Starlifter
10-26-2012, 01:45 AM
This might be a silly inquiry but it doesn't hurt to ask. Dual citizen here, hired by US Air Force Reserve. If, IF eventually I could get a job with Air Canada or Westjet (not even sure I would be competitively qualified or would even want to), would they honor USAF military commitments the way US companies are legally bound to do so?

I'm in that boat now in Europe. Answer here is NO!! I have to work with my scheduler each time I need to do reserve duty. Much A$$ Pain but it is doable.
Another colleague tried to work with Reserves with his carrier here in Europe and had to go to the IRR. He could not make it work.

Thank goodness this is my last full FY. I'm completing my IDTs now...

Lifter

galaxy flyer
10-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Remember, USERRA laws only apply to US entities; they can't be applied to outsiders. That said, Canada might be easier to work out than Europe. I work with many ex-RCAF guys and they understand and appreciate out reserve system. The logistics of getting to a reserve unit from Canada is also easier. Activation, however, might be sticky. They don't have to give you reemployment rights, the best might be personal leave of absence.

GF

Starlifter
10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Remember, USERRA laws only apply to US entities; they can't be applied to outsiders. That said, Canada might be easier to work out than Europe. I work with many ex-RCAF guys and they understand and appreciate out reserve system. The logistics of getting to a reserve unit from Canada is also easier. Activation, however, might be sticky. They don't have to give you reemployment rights, the best might be personal leave of absence.

GF

GF,

I agree, it might be easier to work in Canada for drills and AT. An activation could get sticky...

Hope you are well--we PMd awhile back

Lifter