Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

GlobalEx
12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Just curious, I know we have all heard of the "dream" jobs in this field, just wondering what everyones opinion is. If you could work at any department based on "rumors" and credible information which one would you choose?

9ESOCCFI
12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
FedEx

Filler

galaxy flyer
12-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Flight departments are like marriages, no one really knows the dynamics unless they're on the inside. I see lots of departments, the good ones are larger, more professional that way; have 15-25 pilots who have a good mix of backgrounds; a "principal" who respects the department leadership; and leadership that leads. The single plane, single crew operations tend to be run by the owner who holds the Chief Pilot by the balls--it doesn't have any standards to fall back on. There are exceptions, of course, but, for me, larger is better.

FedEx would be an example of an outstanding department. I won't name them, but some single plane operations couldn't get me for $500,000 per year.

GF

satpak77
12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Just curious, I know we have all heard of the "dream" jobs in this field, just wondering what everyones opinion is. If you could work at any department based on "rumors" and credible information which one would you choose?

Absent additional info about a company, I would say the most financially sound companies / "best run" per Fortune, Forbes, etc and hope it trickles down to the flight department

Google
Microsoft
Nike
Exxon
Apple

etc etc

galaxy flyer
12-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I don't think Apple, MS or Google have flight departments, but their principals do--Jobs had a GV, MS leaders have Globals, Google guys share a B767.

GF

USMCFLYR
12-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I know a guy at Home Depot who has seemed to be very happy with the department for the 8 years that I have been in contact with him. I had one contact at Boeing who thought highly of the department too. that job would have interested me if it had not been in Gary, IN!

galaxy flyer
12-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Boeing is a very nice department! Pity about Gary, though. Mickey D's is also highly recommended.

Merry Christmas!

GF

DirectTo
12-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Have a friend who flies for Mary Kay and speaks very highly of the operation.

Bengalsfan
12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
- Procter and Gamble
- United Health Group
- GE

Many more

ZapBrannigan
12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Been at a Fortune 500 flight department for a little over 8 years after spending 10 in the 121 world. There are definite pros and cons to both. Much of the time I miss the predictability that comes with bidding a schedule, and the protections that come with a contract. Other times I appreciate being home most every holiday and most weekends, flying one or two legs a day, and choosing my own hotels, and a corporate card for expenses.

When I had the opportunity to go back to USAir after an extended furlough I chose to remain here instead. Time will tell whether that was the right decision.

FlyerJosh
12-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Been at a Fortune 500 flight department for a little over 8 years after spending 10 in the 121 world. There are definite pros and cons to both. Much of the time I miss the predictability that comes with bidding a schedule, and the protections that come with a contract. Other times I appreciate being home most every holiday and most weekends, flying one or two legs a day, and choosing my own hotels, and a corporate card for expenses.

When I had the opportunity to go back to USAir after an extended furlough I chose to remain here instead. Time will tell whether that was the right decision.

I'd pretty much say the same thing about my own experience... And add that I have absolutely no desire to return to the airlines.

The dude
12-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I'd rather slam my finger in a door than go back to the airlines.

Also, small departments aren't always bad. We have 3 pilots, one airplane. Plenty of time off, good pay, no complaints.

billythekid
12-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Small departments can be ok if with the right bosses. If the 2-4 pilots get along and really care about the operation it can be a great life.
People often ask these general questions and think Fortune 123 or the big name/plane is best. Not often the truth. People confuse Bill Gates with Microsoft and Steve Jobs with Apple from Fred Smith with Fedex and Sam Walton with Walmart---principle owned aircraft vs. a big corporate structure. Best short term pay is probably better on the principle aircraft, longer term pay and benefits better with the corporations.
You really have to nail down what you are looking for.....The people with the best jobs in personal departments probably don't talk about it too much though.....

DrangonStar45
12-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Small departments can be ok if with the right bosses. If the 2-4 pilots get along and really care about the operation it can be a great life.
People often ask these general questions and think Fortune 123 or the big name/plane is best. Not often the truth. People confuse Bill Gates with Microsoft and Steve Jobs with Apple from Fred Smith with Fedex and Sam Walton with Walmart---principle owned aircraft vs. a big corporate structure. Best short term pay is probably better on the principle aircraft, longer term pay and benefits better with the corporations.
You really have to nail down what you are looking for.....The people with the best jobs in personal departments probably don't talk about it too much though.....
The only way to get hired into the flight department I fly for is to know someone personally. The nature of the flying is revealed after training is passed. "Interviews" are held at restaurants and bars. Flights are blocked. The passenger range is wide. And the entire fleet is 3 King Airs. Pay is above average, and QOL is awesome, plus the other perks of corporate. That is the only things I can reveal according to my confidential agreement.

billythekid
12-26-2012, 07:24 AM
The only way to get hired into the flight department I fly for is to know someone personally. The nature of the flying is revealed after training is passed. "Interviews" are held at restaurants and bars. Flights are blocked. The passenger range is wide. And the entire fleet is 3 King Airs. Pay is above average, and QOL is awesome, plus the other perks of corporate. That is the only things I can reveal according to my confidential agreement.
Sounds like nice, exclusive place to work, build time, and network. Are you seriously looking at going to a regional??

Std Deviation
12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Sometimes the neighborhood looks real nice but you have to live there before you decide for yourself. Some of the CRM issues/events I've been asked to consult on (both from the FAA and from the department/pilots themselves) would shock you. :eek:

DrangonStar45
12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Sounds like nice, exclusive place to work, build time, and network. Are you seriously looking at going to a regional??
That's my last option if the department shuts down or downsizes. Plus, an ATP would drive my insurance down.

NowCorporate
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
The tone for any department is generally set by its top management. Unfortunately MANY large departments wind up being run by people who have no business running anything...Yes men.

Way too many Safety Committees, Standards Committees, Training Committees, hell I have even heard of "iPad Committees" I understand theres a certain level of admin work that needs volunteers or expected participation - but its gotten way out of control at many places. Beware buzz words like "optics" "team building" "win-win" etc...they are all code for "busy work"

Do a lot of research when interviewing around, be sure you can fit in well. You should look at them as hard as they look at you. Some places expect a lot more out of a pilot than others. Dont be surprised, know what is expected of you PRIOR to the marraige.

Downside to smaller operations? - same thing..a spineless leader who will do anything the owner asks. Throw in a Management company in the mix?? - recipe for disaster.

From 3 pilots to 25 pilots, find a place with a strong leader who looks out for his pilots instead of filling in a list of budget savings BS initiatives for himself...and you may find a decent job!

Impossible to name specific dream jobs, someones dream is anothers nightmare. I can read through some of the names mentioned here and cringe...but to each his own. Its all really just an opinion...and yes, most of the best jobs stay completely off the radar. Positions filled long before someone leaves.

Good Luck!

:)

givememywings
12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
The tone for any department is generally set by its top management. Unfortunately MANY large departments wind up being run by people who have no business running anything...Yes men.

Way too many Safety Committees, Standards Committees, Training Committees, hell I have even heard of "iPad Committees" I understand theres a certain level of admin work that needs volunteers or expected participation - but its gotten way out of control at many places. Beware buzz words like "optics" "team building" "win-win" etc...they are all code for "busy work"

Do a lot of research when interviewing around, be sure you can fit in well. You should look at them as hard as they look at you. Some places expect a lot more out of a pilot than others. Dont be surprised, know what is expected of you PRIOR to the marraige.

Downside to smaller operations? - same thing..a spineless leader who will do anything the owner asks. Throw in a Management company in the mix?? - recipe for disaster.

From 3 pilots to 25 pilots, find a place with a strong leader who looks out for his pilots instead of filling in a list of budget savings BS initiatives for himself...and you may find a decent job!

Impossible to name specific dream jobs, someones dream is anothers nightmare. I can read through some of the names mentioned here and cringe...but to each his own. Its all really just an opinion...and yes, most of the best jobs stay completely off the radar. Positions filled long before someone leaves.

Good Luck!

:)

I sent you a PM a couple months ago, I don't think you've noticed it yet :)

satpak77
12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Also, "great place to work" is not automatically associated to "they just got a new G5/Global/Falcon/BBJ"

Some solid, stable, companies, with 100K+ salaries, exist, flying Lears/Citations/King Airs. Just as an FYI

ZapBrannigan
12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Excellent point. Small airplane = small suitcase. Add a good six figure salary and lots of time off and it can be hard to beat.

Hardest part is stifling a laugh when the RJ copilot in the hotel van asks you how much longer you are going to build time before you apply for a job in the regionals. (Face palm)

CapnSkeptic
12-26-2012, 08:24 PM
I'd have to add that you MUST like interacting with your clients and that means knowing how and when to interact with them. Some clients want you to just fly the plane, others like to pull you aside in the FBO and ask you questions in front of their clients. It's important to remember that you're not only representing your flight dept. but also the clients judgement in selecting you as their pilot.

GlobalEx
12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Excellent point. Small airplane = small suitcase. Add a good six figure salary and lots of time off and it can be hard to beat.

Hardest part is stifling a laugh when the RJ copilot in the hotel van asks you how much longer you are going to build time before you apply for a job in the regionals. (Face palm)
Come on, that has honestly never happened.

RunnerMark
12-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure how it is flying for some of the Nascar outfits, but that always seemed like it would be fun. I honestly want to go to work and have a good time...

galaxy flyer
12-27-2012, 03:55 PM
RunnerMark

Based on some limited, recent experience, yes, it would be! Especially for their "new hire"!

GF

Timbo
12-28-2012, 06:36 AM
RunnerMark

Based on some limited, recent experience, yes, it would be! Especially for their "new hire"!

GF

Come on, spill the beans, there's got to be a story there!:D

pitch mode
12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
NowCorporate is correct with the comment on "management companies". Flying for a management company means that the operator will try to make the most during a contract. You will fly a company's aircraft,get to know the passengers and get dropped like a bad habit when the contract is not renewed because the management company operator is a tool.

7Xdriver
12-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I sent you a PM a couple months ago, I don't think you've noticed it yet :)

He'll be back in another couple of months and answer your post :)

NowCorporate
12-31-2012, 05:07 AM
He'll be back in another couple of months and answer your post :)

Its the QUALITY, not the QUANTITY....:):)

Happy New Year K!

7Xdriver
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Its the QUALITY, not the QUANTITY....:):)

Happy New Year K!

Your posts are always quality :)

aa73
01-08-2013, 06:20 AM

Look at him with a straight face while telling him how hard it's been waiting to get that call from Trans States and how "maybe some day I'll get to where you're at!" :D

Unreal. Me, I'm the AA F/O in the van asking whether you guys are hiring... ;)

kbennett
01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
RunnerMark

GF

You have to spill the beans on this one! What's the story?

galaxy flyer
01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I really can't say due to corporate NDA, but I will say, at least one NASCAR team has a great department with great leadership.

GF

crbnftprnt
01-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Abercrombie & Fitch

GlobalEx
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Abercrombie & Fitch

You must like flip flops!

fishforfun
02-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Met some Cox Inc guys this week. Really good guys and spoke highly of their flight department.