Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Packrat
09-07-2016, 06:19 AM
Because its just my opinion. Certainly I'm entitled to that.

I just don't think Alaska, with more orders and options for 737s than VX has Busses, will keep the airplanes. Consequently, I don't think there will be anymore hiring on that side and VX pilots will be allowed/required to bid openings on the AS side of the house to crew those new jets. Of course, the timing of the JCBA and the SLI will drive that.

Hopefully, no furlough time will be involved for VX pilots, but that would depend on the 737 delivery schedule and when the Bus leases expire. Again, strictly my opinion, but I think AS will return the Busses as those leases come due. They're pretty committed to the single airframe fleet.

Duesenflieger
09-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Even if AS did away with the A320s, assuming that an equal amount of B737s replaced them, would VX/AS still not need the same amount of crews to fly the B737s? Everyone keeps his/her job therefore. Indeed having more B737s on order would imply further hiring, right?

Packrat
09-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Even if AS did away with the A320s, assuming that an equal amount of B737s replaced them, would VX/AS still not need the same amount of crews to fly the B737s? Everyone keeps his/her job therefore. Indeed having more B737s on order would imply further hiring, right?

True, but the hiring would be via AS, not VX. Depending on the economy going forward, the possibility exist that AS could slow the 737 deliveries and dump the Busses. In that case, Bus pilots would be looking at furloughs unless they have the opportunity to bid over to AS 737 seats.

That's why getting a JCBA and SLI ASAP is critical.

slavetotheman
09-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Hopefully, they'll at least pick up the guys in the pool before switching everything over.

juventus
09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Yes I agree , hiring is going to go trough AS very soon once the deal is approved , even for the Bus for as long as they stay , Alaska hr will take over, pretty sure.

greaser
09-07-2016, 08:17 PM
That's why getting a JCBA and SLI ASAP is critical.

I couldn't agree more with you there! (and as a new guy, I know I'm at the bottom of any combined list).

Fleron270
09-08-2016, 02:23 AM
How are the travel benefits at VA?

plt32173
09-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Hopefully, they'll at least pick up the guys in the pool before switching everything over.
I hope so too. DL didn't take any of us NW poolies.

The TPA should give us a better idea of what can and can't be done regarding whipsaw and furlough scenarios if fleet size decreases. Until then, don't feed the trolls.

Klsytakesit
09-09-2016, 08:52 PM

At Alaska an offer of employment is not a job and as such all of Virgin will be ahead of anyone with a job offer. Until you actually show up for the first day of class you are no closer to a seniority number then a guy who hasnt interviewed yet......dont pass up a real job because you have been "offered a job" here...

OCCP
09-10-2016, 06:10 AM
Virgin has a goofy hiring process, Alaska has a goofy hiring process. At least that's one thing we have in common!

EuroMexPilot
09-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Hey guys, is the application window currently closed? I don't see a job posting for first officer currently.
If it's closed, any insight of when it might be opened?
Thank you!

Riverside
09-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, is the application window currently closed? I don't see a job posting for first officer currently.
If it's closed, any insight of when it might be opened?
Thank you!

Go back two pages.

lukedpilot03
09-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Did anyone get a call for interview post OBAP after sending back the pilot questionnaire? It has been almost a month and have not heard anything. Just curious.

OCCP
09-27-2016, 02:46 PM
I didn't think we were interviewing.

Is Alaska taking over the hiring process? Some of the guys in an AS thread we're claiming the VX poolies we're going to have an additional screening to make sure they meet alaska's standard. Whatever that means

G550Guy
09-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Did anyone get a call for interview post OBAP after sending back the pilot questionnaire? It has been almost a month and have not heard anything. Just curious.

Nada...

I sent in the questionnaire and the trail went cold. Speculation would say Alaska has halted the VX hiring, but I personally have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooo
09-27-2016, 08:04 PM
I didn't think we were interviewing.

Is Alaska taking over the hiring process? Some of the guys in an AS thread we're claiming the VX poolies we're going to have an additional screening to make sure they meet alaska's standard. Whatever that means

VX's HR is still in charge of the hiring and no interviews for the past 2+ months. Most likely will restart when Alaska begins calling the shots and gives VX the thumbs up to continue. Hiring needs to happen for the A321neo deliveries in March (if they happen).

ImperialxRat
09-29-2016, 06:33 AM
How many guys in the Virgin hiring pool?

LAXacos
09-29-2016, 06:45 AM
I've been in the pool since late Spring and I know there were interviews until late june or July so the pool is probably only 3-5 months deep if I had my guess. Hoping to get a call soon, nerve racking swimming around in the pool with the merger going on, feels a little like sitting in a lifeboat past titanic sinking hoping help comes (dramatic but its the best ive got ha)

Oooo
09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
How many guys in the Virgin hiring pool?

20-30ish from what I've heard.

AltoCumulus
10-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Heard on the line...

AS flight ops management in process of putting together analysis for use in decision on final fate of airbuses.

One of the large items under consideration is whether or not to bring the airplanes/crews up to the Alaska level (i.e RNP .1, handflown CAT III, etc.) which will cost money in euipment and training. The less interchangeable the airplanes are the higher the cost to run 2 fleet types; the bigger the difference the less likely they are to stick around much beyond a bridge period.

AS HR is going to take over hiring at both airlines in all positions (pilot and non-pilot) at deal close.

The following is my opinion...as I have seen this airlne operate for the last 10 years I have some guesses as to what is going to happen going forward fleet/base-wise...

According to management, when we got rid of the MD-80 7-8 years ago, it saved Alaska tens of millions/year in non-fuel cost. When AS employees ask management in various forms why we don't buy xxx airplane, one of the most cited reasons is the added cost of running two fleet types. I could possibly envision AS running a second fleet type if it gave us some new way to make money (787 anyone) but another fleet type of essentially the same airplane, not trying to troll, but I don't think it is likely that the Airbus survives beyond a bridge period.

Still not convinced? What about the Airbus 321NEO? Ask yourself this question...Why doesn't Alaska Airlines have an order in for the new Airbus?

Because they didn't want any.

JFK base long term...sorry, really don't see that happening either. Pilots at Alaska have been trying to get various bases opened by management over the years. In the last 10 years they have looked at ORD, DEN, SAN, Bay area, Hawaii, and PDX. Only PDX was opened. The hang up are the reserves. The last time they did a big study about 4-5 years ago they came up with $15 million dollars of cost to make a station a pilot base. Mostly that cost is the need to have reserves as most need for reserves is because of sick calls at the start of a trip. So the savings gained from the times the NYC reserves saved the day, the hotel cost savings, etc. need to exceed $15M. Additionally, Alaska runs the pairing generator to seemthe systemwide impact cost. For example, having a base in NYC could make the lines in PDX less efficient when all the NYC flying is taken out.

Alaska has always been able to cover trips at outstations pretty easily just by offering premium or by getting somebody home 12 hours early for the same pay.

How many pilots does Alaska have in the Bay Area that currently has much higher frequency then NYC is ever predicted to have?

Zero.

How many pilots are based in SAN that also has higher frequency then the whole NYC base would cover?

Zero.

How many pilots are based in Hawaii that represents 20% of Alaska Airlines capacity... zero.

Under Alpa merger policy, new hires after the announcement date get a DOH integration regardless of where you were actually hired.

We need to get this JCBA done ASAP so we don't get whip-sawed against each other. Not looking forward to the SLI results, but I am looking forward to getting on with this so we can hopefully grow like crazy.

Fraternally...

PokerPilot007
10-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Heard on the line...

AS flight ops management in process of putting together analysis for use in decision on final fate of airbuses.

One of the large items under consideration is whether or not to bring the airplanes/crews up to the Alaska level (i.e RNP .1, handflown CAT III, etc.) which will cost money in euipment and training. The less interchangeable the airplanes are the higher the cost to run 2 fleet types; the bigger the difference the less likely they are to stick around much beyond a bridge period.

According to management, when we got rid of the MD-80 7-8 years ago, it saved Alaska tens of millions/year in non-fuel cost. When AS employees ask management in various forms why we don't buy xxx airplane, one of the most cited reasons is the added cost of running two fleet types. I could possibly envision AS running a second fleet type if it gave us some new way to make money (787 anyone) but another fleet type of essentially the same airplane, not trying to troll, but I don't think it is likely that the Airbus survives beyond a bridge period.

Still not convinced? What about the Airbus 321NEO? Ask yourself this question...Why doesn't Alaska Airlines have an order in for the new Airbus?

Here is another take on your analysis. Adding a second fleet type does add significant costs to the ALK operation ONLY if a second fleet is "added" to the certificate from scratch. Alaska has already paid $2.6B ($4B with debt) which includes the costs of the second fleet type. So I would argue that the second fleet type "cost" has already been paid for through the VX acquisition. Secondly, Ben said Airbus has been making a full court press weekly on Alaska to stick with the busses. If you look at the long term benefits of having Boeing and Airbus compete for ALL future orders, I would argue that the benefit of having 2 manufacturers is a significant cost savings going forward. I think ALK will park the 319's, and convert all future orders to A321NEO's. As the 321NEO's get delivered, they will make a deal with Airbus to take back the 320CEO aircraft. I see the Airbus fleet shrinking to 50-60 A321NEO's which will take over the premium transcon and Hawaii markets. Alaska will then have a "mint" like product capable of competing with JetBlue, Delta, United and American which all have lie flat seats and significant inflight entertainment systems. I have no inside info, just my 2 cents...

dolphinsuck
10-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Heard on the line...

AS HR is going to take over hiring at both airlines in all positions (pilot and non-pilot) at deal close.

The following is my opinion...as I have seen this airlne operate for the last 10 years I have some guesses as to what is going to happen going forward fleet/base-wise...

JFK base long term...sorry, really don't see that happening either. Pilots at Alaska have been trying to get various bases opened by management over the years. In the last 10 years they have looked at ORD, DEN, SAN, Bay area, Hawaii, and PDX. Only PDX was opened. The hang up are the reserves. The last time they did a big study about 4-5 years ago they came up with $15 million dollars of cost to make a station a pilot base. Mostly that cost is the need to have reserves as most need for reserves is because of sick calls at the start of a trip. So the savings gained from the times the NYC reserves saved the day, the hotel cost savings, etc. need to exceed $15M. Additionally, Alaska runs the pairing generator to seemthe systemwide impact cost. For example, having a base in NYC could make the lines in PDX less efficient when all the NYC flying is taken out.

Alaska has always been able to cover trips at outstations pretty easily just by offering premium or by getting somebody home 12 hours early for the same pay.

How many pilots does Alaska have in the Bay Area that currently has much higher frequency then NYC is ever predicted to have?

Zero.

How many pilots are based in SAN that also has higher frequency then the whole NYC base would cover?

Zero.

How many pilots are based in Hawaii that represents 20% of Alaska Airlines capacity... zero.

Under Alpa merger policy, new hires after the announcement date get a DOH integration regardless of where you were actually hired.

We need to get this JCBA done ASAP so we don't get whip-sawed against each other. Not looking forward to the SLI results, but I am looking forward to getting on with this so we can hopefully grow like crazy.

Fraternally...

Way to many inaccuracies in this post! The one I'm going to point out is that ALASKA will not be doing all the hiring when the deal closes, Virgin HR will be staying around till Alaska and Virgin are on a single operating certificate which could take up till next year. Mergers don't happen over night my friend.

AltoCumulus
10-06-2016, 08:23 AM
Here is another take on your analysis. Adding a second fleet type does add significant costs to the ALK operation ONLY if a second fleet is "added" to the certificate from scratch. Alaska has already paid $2.6B ($4B with debt) which includes the costs of the second fleet type. So I would argue that the second fleet type "cost" has already been paid for through the VX acquisition. Secondly, Ben said Airbus has been making a full court press weekly on Alaska to stick with the busses.

Alaska already had an MD-80 operation for years when they got rid of them, granted it was mostly for fuel...but there was a lot of savings touted for non fuel cost like part inventories, less resrve pilots, fleet planning simplification, etc.

"Ben said that Airbus is making a full court press..." the part he left out is ... "and so is Boeing."

As far as hiring goes... I went back and read the original management e-mail about hiring, and I stand by what I said. Perhaps VA HR personelle will be reviewing resumes, etc. but minimum standards and final hiring decisions for pilots will be coming from Seattle, if not immediatelly...then almost immediatelly after deal close.

dolphinsuck
10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Alaska already had an MD-80 operation for years when they got rid of them, granted it was mostly for fuel...but there was a lot of savings touted for non fuel cost like part inventories, less resrve pilots, fleet planning simplification, etc.

"Ben said that Airbus is making a full court press..." the part he left out is ... "and so is Boeing."

As far as hiring goes... I went back and read the original management e-mail about hiring, and I stand by what I said. Perhaps VA HR personelle will be reviewing resumes, etc. but minimum standards and final hiring decisions for pilots will be coming from Seattle, if not immediatelly...then almost immediatelly after deal close.

From what have been told, Alaska calls the shots as far as how many pilots Virgin can hire, but Virgin HR will still be doing the hiring for the virgin side. Alaska and Virgins hiring process is a completely different process and Alaska wants to keep the Virgin brand at least for now. I'm going to stand by what I said Alaska will take over the hiring at least until the SOC happens

juventus
10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
In the training center the word is Alaska requirements for new hires will be in effect at merger close.

opdeliber
10-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Which are what? Very hard to find online.. In the training center the word is Alaska requirements for new hires will be in effect at merger close.

Riverside
10-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Which are what? Very hard to find online..

I think he means AS pilot hours requirement. Which are not hard to find online.

dolphinsuck
10-07-2016, 06:26 AM
It's just funny that guys think that Alaska will take over the hiring that quickly. It shows that they know nothing about how long a merger actually takes. Alaska took 225 management jobs but chose to keep Virgins Recruiting team till Virgin and Alaska become on a Single Operating Certificate. Alaska didn't just keep them just because they need people to look at resumes. Lol

jetracer5
10-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Heard on the line...

Because they didn't want any

Strait answer is Alaska isn't going to make a decision on the Airbuses till next year and they haven't done anything as far as any analysts on the plane for one simple reason. Alaska is not allowed to view the VX books on the plane ie lease rates, operating costs etc. That answer was giving to me first hand from the top. The reason Alaska does not have airbuses is because it didnt make any sense to introduce a 2nd fleet type from scratch. But now your adding 60-100+ aircraft and orders of modern new jets. These are not gas guzzling MD-80's. Whole different animal. There are probably 100 reasons to keep them and 100 not to but with Boeings 737 MAX order backlog there are no airframes available for a long time. But you are right about the 321 NEOs, its 5% cheaper to operate than the MAX 9 will be and the MAX 9 is going to be weight restricted at max range. I know for a fact that Alaska is "curious" about the 321

Ispeakjive
10-09-2016, 11:58 PM
I see Alaska is dismissing 225 VX management folks. Perhaps there's a lesson for pilots there.
Both are ALPA and based on previous ALPA/ALPA mergers how does your nonsense play out?

Wynncore
10-10-2016, 08:41 AM
So is it safe to assume that the Virgin America pilot hiring window will remain closed until the merger is officially completed?

GreatBigSea
10-10-2016, 12:31 PM
So is it safe to assume that the Virgin America pilot hiring window will remain closed until the merger is officially completed?

I'd say so. Hopefully the deal will be sealed before the month is over.

Jetwiper
10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I'd say so. Hopefully the deal will be sealed before the month is over.

Since we are hoping, can't we hope they throw the whole deal in the dumpster and move on..?

Oooo
10-16-2016, 06:35 AM
Looks like tomorrow won't be the day

Alaska Airlines (ALK) says its effort to merge with Virgin America (VA) will not close by this Monday and it will keep talking with the Justice Department's antitrust division.

"We will keep talking past Monday," Alaska spokeswoman Bobbi Egan said late Friday. "We will continue working with DOJ to use this extra time to work toward closing early in the fourth quarter."

The deal isn't going to be blocked, a source said, but the two parties still have to hash out the exact terms of the settlement.

In April, the two carriers announced plans to merge. In June, they promised the Justice Department they would not close the deal until Sept. 30 unless the department concluded its review before then.

On Sept. 26, the carriers agreed to extend that deadline to Monday, Oct. 17.

"We're not going to close before Oct. 17," Egan said Friday. The airlines have not set a new deadline.

The airlines have the option to go ahead with the merger without approval. The Justice Department has the option to sue to prevent it.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13854599/1/alaska-airlines-and-virgin-america-we-will-keep-talking-with-doj-on-merger.html

FLowpayFO
10-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Is this a stall static for negotiations? Why did they sell this to be the mergers they will measure mergers by and now they are already off schedule? What's the hold up?

"About 2 million Virgin America shares were traded Friday, the most since 2.9 million shares traded on Sept. 29, as speculation mounted about possible concessions."

Concessions??

ShyGuy
10-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Is this a stall static for negotiations? Why did they sell this to be the mergers they will measure mergers by and now they are already off schedule? What's the hold up?

"About 2 million Virgin America shares were traded Friday, the most since 2.9 million shares traded on Sept. 29, as speculation mounted about possible concessions."

Concessions??

DOJ concessions. Now that they've rubber stamped without any questions the DAL/NWA merger, CAL/UAL, SWA/AAI, and then sued and settled for AA/US, they want to put their bag boy pants on and try to look like they really are doing their job. This merger has almost no overlap, no major market rule, and although they become the "largest" west coast airline, their power is still diluted in SFO and LAX. Apparently the holdup is the codeshares Alaska has with AA and DL.

Bugaboo
10-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Concessions??

Cmon Man!!!!

Nu11us
10-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Looks like they changed the careers site. Filled out the pre-interview form a while back but no call. Now my login doesn't even work anymore.

Riverside
10-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Looks like they changed the careers site. Filled out the pre-interview form a while back but no call. Now my login doesn't even work anymore.

Try the Alaska website.

slavetotheman
11-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Pilot Poolie here (hopefully still the case). I heard some rumblings of classes starting up early next year. Anybody hear anything that's in the know?

greaser
11-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Pilot Poolie here (hopefully still the case). I heard some rumblings of classes starting up early next year. Anybody hear anything that's in the know?

I have no official information, but have heard a couple of rumors from folks close to the school house about a decent sized wave of hiring resuming shortly. Maybe January? I hear that those in the pool are safe.

However, much of the talk of anything happening seems to hinge on merger closure. The latest you or I could read in the news was 'end of November'. And here we are with more crickets.

OCCP
12-01-2016, 06:10 AM
I heard a rumor that classes start in February. Not sure how big or how many.

GreatBigSea
12-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Last "official" date I heard (during an all hands meeting and repeated during a red carpet) was Febuary to coincide with the 321s entering service.

ShyGuy
12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Announced plan for 2017 = 18 CA upgrades and 56 newhire FOs.

OCCP
12-02-2016, 11:41 AM
And morale slips even lower.

Prospective pilots would probably be better off going to piedmont or one of the places with a flow.

PotatoChip
12-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Rumors of JFK staying open versus closing?

Saltlife85
12-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Nobody really knows. It's been very quiet here for months. No progress is being and we're all in the dark

gloopy
12-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Why would it close? It seems to make sense to staff at least some crews there for flexibility and operational integrity.

OCCP
12-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Someone asked that question to one of the AS big wigs right after the merger announcement and the answer was something like "well at Alaska we just do overnights on the east coast so we'll have to look into it".

I'm convinced the buyout was a knee jerk reaction and they have no idea how to run an airline on a larger scale.

ShyGuy
12-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Someone asked that question to one of the AS big wigs right after the merger announcement and the answer was something like "well at Alaska we just do overnights on the east coast so we'll have to look into it".

I'm convinced the buyout was a knee jerk reaction and they have no idea how to run an airline on a larger scale.

At that time, AS had one daily flight SEA-JFK and two daily SEA-EWR flights. You wouldn't need a base for 3 flights.

Today AS runs SEA several times a day to EWR, PDX-EWR, SAN-EWR, and soon SJC-EWR. And VX of course has their base of operation out of NYC. Transcons from EWR/JFK to California, LGA-DAL flights, and seasonal JFK-FLL.

Why would it close? It seems to make sense to staff at least some crews there for flexibility and operational integrity.

I agree. But this is the airline industry we're talking about. Sometimes they just do things that don't really make much sense. :D

Reggie Dunlop
12-03-2016, 01:41 PM

You seem to know it all. I am guessing you minored in aviation management so your considered opinion on things could be very valuable. Have you considered shooting Brad an email and offering your services. I am sure he would love to have your help making some of these tough decisions.

OCCP
12-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Nope. I know nothing, just like you and everyone else on here. I'm just a bitter pilot throwing out my opinion. Why so defensive?

ShyGuy
12-03-2016, 01:51 PM
You seem to know it all. I am guessing you minored in aviation management so your considered opinion on things could be very valuable. Have you considered shooting Brad an email and offering your services. I am sure he would love to have your help making some of these tough decisions.

OCCP does have a valid point. From a June article:

Alaska Airlines CEO Debates Keeping Virgin America Name After Merger (http://fortune.com/2016/06/16/alaska-airlines-virgin/)

" CEO Brad Tilden says that the company is currently debating whether or not to keep the Virgin America brand up and running, operating it separately from Alaska, the Associated Press reports. “It is the thing I am losing the most sleep over with our merger,”

PotatoChip
12-04-2016, 11:23 AM

There are several reasons it would close; that's the reason I'm asking. While it may make sense to you, it may not make sense to the people that actually make these decisions. I hope it stays open, and even grows, but I have absolutely no idea what they'll do. I was just curious if there had been any internal memorandum regards to the domicile, or information passed from chief pilots etc. An east coast base would be the difference in applying or not for me personally.

ShyGuy
12-04-2016, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't hedge any bets. Alaska/Virgin are predominantly west coast based airlines. If you really want a long term stable east coast base, go to the big 4.

This merger hasn't even closed yet. They are still two airlines competing against another. There is no communication about any post-merger plans in regards to bases or fleets.

Spencer
12-05-2016, 06:21 AM
On a side note, does anyone have info or suggestions on decent crash pads not far from the training center?

Mea25000
12-07-2016, 08:51 PM
AS plans on closing the east coast base by Jan 2019... my hunch is it will be closed sooner. Pretty stupid... I would think they would like to grow the east coast, seems like there is a lot of money over there.

NotTellin
12-07-2016, 09:09 PM
AS plans on closing the east coast base by Jan 2019... my hunch is it will be closed sooner. Pretty stupid... I would think they would like to grow the east coast, seems like there is a lot of money over there.

You know this how?

Riverside
12-08-2016, 02:59 AM
You know this how?

Pillow talk.

ShyGuy
12-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Pillow talk.

So Zayn or Gigi? :D

mike734
12-11-2016, 10:32 PM

You know this how?

He doesn't. In all my years at Alaska I've never known them to make a plan that actually came true. It seems most "plans" are about 2 months out. That's all you can count on.

Jason5
12-12-2016, 04:25 AM
What's a good W2 estimate for a first-year Virgin pilot? There's low-training pay, then reserve, but then a line, probably with some 125% hours thrown in there. Anyone care to share their per month, or annual first-year income?

OCCP
12-12-2016, 05:49 AM
What's a good W2 estimate for a first-year Virgin pilot? There's low-training pay, then reserve, but then a line, probably with some 125% hours thrown in there. Anyone care to share their per month, or annual first-year income?

W2= probably around 48-50k.

Take home pay probably around $2800-3000/mo.

If you get on at the front of the wave you'll probably get a line in about 6 months but as always this can change. I was told about 6 months reserve and it ended up being almost 3 years.

125% will be very little on reserve, more if you have a line.

Welcome to your next stepping stone

Jason5
12-12-2016, 06:09 AM
W2= probably around 48-50k.

Take home pay probably around $2800-3000/mo.

If you get on at the front of the wave you'll probably get a line in about 6 months but as always this can change. I was told about 6 months reserve and it ended up being almost 3 years.

125% will be very little on reserve, more if you have a line.

Welcome to your next stepping stone

Oh man. Currently a regional captain. I figured the difference in the averages over three years is something like $15k, after that, of course, Virgin wins, but a lot of things could happen in those three years. Then again, it's more of a long-term destination. Tough call.

OCCP
12-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Well almost everyone took a pay cut first year. Even for the legacies up until recently. If you're looking long term don't settle for this mess. It's a decent place to work as long as you have a line and the pilot group is awesome, but it just doesn't add up long term. We offer the worst of both worlds: low pay and no movement.

At least at frontier, spirit, or sun country there is growth to offset the low pay. Here you'll be looking at over a decade to upgrade and Alaska management is already playing dirty with the unions. It's going to be a long time before we see more money.

Klsytakesit
12-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Alaska management is already playing dirty with the unions. It's going to be a long time before we see more money.

Alaska management has always"played dirty" with labor....They just get away with it because they are "cool and hip" and everyone wants to live in Seattle....And we are not an "awesome pilot group"....self serving, self centered, selfish, spineless.....things that come to mind when I think of our group....So for the ex Horizon crowd it will seem familiar when we integrate and for the rest.....believe not a word you hear from anyone....

OCCP
12-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Well I think almost all of the Virgin guys I fly with are pretty solid and hopefully not spineless and not a whole lot want to live in Seattle, so maybe together we can all grow a pair!

NotTellin
12-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Well I think almost all of the Virgin guys I fly with are pretty solid and hopefully not spineless and not a whole lot want to live in Seattle, so maybe together we can all grow a pair!
Hell, I live in SEA. I commute to SFO. I would love to be based in SEA on the bus.:) After dealing with management at 8 different airlines, I've learned you get what you negotiate. This management team needs to be taught that the negotiations playing field has been drastically changed from the last time, hell every other time, they've been at the table. NO SCOPE = NOPE.

opdeliber
12-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Is the New York base relatively senior or is it fairly easy to get as a new hire?

cmrflyer
12-19-2016, 11:58 AM
At the moment it's very easy to get. Question is though, will it stay, or will Alaska close it.
Fingers crossed it stays.

Petethedog
12-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Any insight into how the company views folks w/o 121 time?
Hoping to break into 121 next year while bypassing the regionals.
Love the Virgin product. Loved ALK when I lived in SEA but a bit leery about how the merge will work. Nonetheless, looking to stay West Coast...

As for me:
4800TT
1500 Part 135 (80% was PIC)
750 TPIC (mostly PC12 and caravan)
1200 Turbine
200 Jet
Bachelor's degree

Finally, planning on talking to recruiters at a fair next month, any tips?

Thanks all!

ImperialxRat
12-24-2016, 01:00 AM
Your times look competitive to me. You will have to do a SIM ride if under 1000TPIC though. Talk about your customer service skills at the career fair. I came from Part 135, although I did have some regional 121 in my past. There was a guy who was only 135 in my new hire class though.

EDIT: This was at Alaska, but I'm assuming their interview process will be the one going forward.

Any insight into how the company views folks w/o 121 time?
Hoping to break into 121 next year while bypassing the regionals.
Love the Virgin product. Loved ALK when I lived in SEA but a bit leery about how the merge will work. Nonetheless, looking to stay West Coast...

As for me:
4800TT
1500 Part 135 (80% was PIC)
750 TPIC (mostly PC12 and caravan)
1200 Turbine
200 Jet
Bachelor's degree

Finally, planning on talking to recruiters at a fair next month, any tips?

Thanks all!

Petethedog
12-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks ImperialxRat! I appreciate the quality info... If I make it in the door, what should I expect on the sim eval?

ShyGuy
12-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Is the New York base relatively senior or is it fairly easy to get as a new hire?

Class of 10 starts Dec 28th. If I count correctly, there should be 4 vacancies for NYC FO. Usually, FOs that get NYC bid out to SFO/LAX on the next round so it always seems like a place that junior pilots get forced into.

smooth50
12-24-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks ImperialxRat! I appreciate the quality info... If I make it in the door, what should I expect on the sim eval?

They are keeping the HR people on so I think Virgin will still be doing the interviewing for the Virgin side for awhile. So no sim. The interview is very laid back. They are just looking to get to know your personality.

lukedpilot03
12-26-2016, 05:37 PM
I have an interview coming up next month. Can anyone who has interviewed in December confirm that the dress code is still business casual, meaning nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt instead of a suit and a tie? Also what is the hiring outlook in 2017?

ShyGuy
12-26-2016, 07:10 PM
I have an interview coming up next month. Can anyone who has interviewed in December confirm that the dress code is still business casual, meaning nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt instead of a suit and a tie? Also what is the hiring outlook in 2017?

If your interview is in the Virgin HQs in Burlingame with Virgin employees, then yes it's business casual. For the VX side the published numbers for FY 2017 are 18 upgrades and 56 newhire FOs.

v1valarob
12-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Any idea on if the window is going to open again?

waflyboy
01-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Any word on the application window or hiring outlook?

Curious because I'd like to meet with them at the NGPA conference.

full of luv
01-11-2017, 12:35 PM

Wow, looking through the NGPA website I was thinking of starting my own advocacy/new hire shakedown organization.

Anyone interested in a hiring fair in Kauai when I start the PIPA.... Pacific Islander Pilot Association?

Riverside
01-11-2017, 02:04 PM

If you have a fast pass you'll be set

appleadam
01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Does checking the "College Degree" box "NO" immediately kick out one's online application?

denverpilot7
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
is the window open for Virgin America?

grasshoppr
01-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Yes it is open.

Riverside
01-16-2017, 11:05 AM

I'm sure you can get the answer quicker by checking.

NotTellin
01-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Not for those without the knowledge or drive to click a couple buttons on a website to find out for themselves. Does your mother fill out your app too? Good grief.

ShyGuy
01-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Does checking the "College Degree" box "NO" immediately kick out one's online application?

VX seems to have adopted AS's hiring standards and a college degree is now required. While I won't presume to know what happens for an online application, it's probably safe to say that you won't stand a good chance without a college degree.

"Bachelor degree from an accredited institution required."

ExecNav
01-17-2017, 05:40 AM
VX will not hire you without a 4 year degree.

appleadam
01-17-2017, 07:29 AM
VX will not hire you without a 4 year degree.

That's racist! :eek::D

ShyGuy
01-17-2017, 11:51 AM
VX has hired pilots without 4 yr degrees. But now with merger and AS's hiring standards, a bachelors degree is officially a requirement.

Crucero
01-17-2017, 05:08 PM
its official, no degree= no interview or job..an e-mail after applying will confirm this.

Packrat
01-18-2017, 12:05 AM
VX has hired pilots without 4 yr degrees. But now with merger and AS's hiring standards, a bachelors degree is officially a requirement.

Did they add the non-smoker caveat as well?

full of luv
01-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Did they add the non-smoker caveat as well?

And a signed verification that you voted for Hillary in 2015.

lowflying
01-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Not for those without the knowledge or drive to click a couple buttons on a website to find out for themselves. Does your mother fill out your app too? Good grief.

I've had an alert in my email for every job opening at VX in the last few months to the point that it feels like spamming. I guess we know that AK is in charge because I had to come on here to find out about the pilot window being open lol

opdeliber
01-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Did you expect them to call you to let you know??

lowflying
01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Did you expect them to call you to let you know??

I expected them to send me an email; as I explained I'm subscribed to their jobs page and get an automatic email every time they have a new job opening.

Maingear
01-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Seems like the pilot hiring window closed very quickly. Any speculation to when it will open again?

Riverside
01-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Seems like the pilot hiring window closed very quickly. Any speculation to when it will open again?

Because the job fair is over.

ShyGuy
01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

It's still open.

Maingear
01-21-2017, 04:17 PM
It's still open.

Ah I couldn't find it on my laptop but I see it with my phone now. Thanks.

GreatBigSea
01-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Just curious if anyone who spoke with VX at NGPA this year has received a call?

eersfanpilot
01-26-2017, 01:06 PM
I was wondering if any current Virgin FO's would be willing to share what can be expected as realistic first year pay and QOL?

NextFlightHome
01-26-2017, 04:52 PM
I was wondering if any current Virgin FO's would be willing to share what can be expected as realistic first year pay and QOL?

Your W2 will be around $45k-$50k depending on how much you're used and how long you're on reserve. QOL depends very much on whether you're on reserve or not. Some have gotten a line after 3 months, others after a year and a half. Depends on what part of the hiring wave you are hiring during. QOL also depends on your commute. Live in base? you'll be in heaven. Commuting will be rough on reserve but then as a line holder, much better

New contract hopefully this year, but that's a realistic look at current work rules/pay.

nuneze23
01-26-2017, 05:49 PM

I finished off first year close to 60K, but I also lucked out and was hired at the very beginning of the last "big" hiring wave and only did 1 1/2 months of reserve. Like mentioned by Nextfighthome, it all just depends on when you're hired and if you choose to commute.

eersfanpilot
01-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

grasshoppr
02-02-2017, 07:35 AM
What are the events associated with applying that one should expect?
Application, Assessment,......then what?

GreatBigSea
02-02-2017, 01:58 PM
What are the events associated with applying that one should expect?
Application, Assessment,......then what?

Currently..

App, Assessment, Questionnaire (helps to say hey at a job fair to speed this up), Interview, Hired/Not Hired

Subject to change at any moment due to AS calling shots now.

Flitestar
02-12-2017, 03:21 AM
Folks, I just completed the assessment, tried to log back on the website a few minutes later and still got the message saying "Our records show that you have not completed the assessment"...

Has anybody had this issue lately? Is there a time delay between completion and it actually showing in my application?

Thx!

BeezerJg34
02-12-2017, 09:10 AM
I had the same thing, but logged back onto the assessment which said "completed". I'm hoping its just a lag between the two programs...its also a Sunday...

Flitestar
02-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Thanks for chiming in Beezer, I'll log back in tomorrow and see if it updated.

Wynncore
02-24-2017, 05:59 AM
I'm hearing that pilot questionnaires have been going out recently, but have interviews on the VX side happened at all in 2017?

BiloxiJack
02-24-2017, 06:37 AM
Interviews have occurred every week, including several weeks with multiple interviews in 2017

David Puddy
02-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Get your comfortable cockpit and sidestick time on the Airbus while you can!!!!

saturn
02-25-2017, 07:50 PM
For those selected for interview, how much time can one expect between questionnaire and interview invite? Just submitted the questionnaire..

waflyboy
02-25-2017, 08:22 PM
For those selected for interview, how much time can one expect between questionnaire and interview invite? Just submitted the questionnaire..

It was just under a week for me.

SuperAerobat
03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Has anyone been hired with less than 3000 TT? I'm just shy of 2700 and wondering, since the application window is open, if it's worth putting an application in. What do you all think? I'm airing on the side of no, minimums are minimums. But I'm interested to know if the hiring team has considered anyone with similar qualifications.

Amike
03-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Has anyone been hired with less than 3000 TT? I'm just shy of 2700 and wondering, since the application window is open, if it's worth putting an application in. What do you all think? I'm airing on the side of no, minimums are minimums. But I'm interested to know if the hiring team has considered anyone with similar qualifications.

The HR woman I spoke to said that 3000 TT is a hard number now. (This was at the NGPA Job Fair in January).

SuperAerobat
03-07-2017, 06:45 PM
The HR woman I spoke to said that 3000 TT is a hard number now. (This was at the NGPA Job Fair in January).

Answered my question perfectly. Thanks!

Amike
03-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Answered my question perfectly. Thanks!

Happy to help. My impression was Virgin has essentially adopted Alaska's hiring mins/requirements.

OCCP
03-08-2017, 05:48 AM
I know Virgin now requires a 4 year degree, thanks to Alaska. I heard there were interviews this week as well

Arliss
03-08-2017, 06:37 AM
Have a friend starting there with 3300. He told me they have hired with less than 3000 but when I applied I got the rejection email. And yes, 4 year degree now required I'm told.

smooth50
03-09-2017, 11:03 AM
121 New Hires for 2017
48 Upgrades for 2017

grasshoppr
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM
121 New Hires for 2017
48 Upgrades for 2017

Good news.

Flitestar
03-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Has anybody that attended the WIA job fair heard anything back yet?

Also, can somebody throw some light in regards to accommodations during training, average days off, commuter policy and expected take home pay for first year?

One more, how feasible would it be to hold JFK out of training? Are you locked for a specific time in your awarded base before switching to the west coast?

Thx!

ShyGuy
03-10-2017, 05:45 PM
In training you're considered based in SFO so no accommodations provided.

With the growth and hiring of FOs, you should be able to hold SFO and NY without any problems.

David Puddy
03-10-2017, 06:03 PM
Get your Airbus and sidestick time while you can!!!!

Flitestar
03-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Thanks Shy. Wow, didn't think you'd have to fork your own hotel during training, that can't be cheap being in SFO. Are you provided transportation of any type?

How about average days off, commuter policy and expected take home pay for first year?

Last one: how long usually from the time you send back the questionnaire and the email with the invite to interview?

Thanks all.
FS

GreatBigSea
03-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Thanks Shy. Wow, didn't think you'd have to fork your own hotel during training, that can't be cheap being in SFO. Are you provided transportation of any type?

How about average days off, commuter policy and expected take home pay for first year?

Last one: how long usually from the time you send back the questionnaire and the email with the invite to interview?

Thanks all.
FS

historically they provide you and your sim partner a rental car for transportation. I believe a few classes will be sent down to MIA for sim training so it will only be a few weeks of providing your own housing in SFO right at the start.

NextFlightHome
03-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks all.
FS

2 weeks on your own dime for indoc. (Hotel/Tranportation) Most people get a crashpad. After indoc you'll be given transportation and if in a sim outside of SFO (MIA or LAS) you'll get accommodations as well.

You should be able to hold JFK right out of class. If you don't get your first choice, you are able to keep bidding for the base you'd like to have until you get it.

My W2 for first year (11 months of the first year) was $47k. Cleared $80k 2nd year not having to work too hard.

Min days off for reserve is 13 days, 12 in a shorter month. As a line holder my first year holding a line I was consistently getting 15-18 days off with decent credit.

After submitting the long personality/logic question form it could be a day, week or months. You won't hear anything back if you weren't selected to move on from there.
Timeline can vary significantly. Hiring department isn't the most finely tuned machine and it can vary from 24 hours to a week. (after submitting short answer form).

Flitestar
03-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Good info guys, much appreciated.

Is there a commuter clause? If I'm brought on board, the plan would be to commute to JFK from SoFlo, then probably commute to SFO from PDX. I know in both cases there are plenty of flights available, just curious if there is anything written in regards to specific procedures for commuters.

Thx!

THE SHAFT
03-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Good info guys, much appreciated.

Is there a commuter clause? If I'm brought on board, the plan would be to commute to JFK from SoFlo, then probably commute to SFO from PDX. I know in both cases there are plenty of flights available, just curious if there is anything written in regards to specific procedures for commuters.

Thx!

Just to clarify a few earlier points...all RSV schedules have 13 days off. Combo of short call (2 hours sfo lax, 3 hours jfk, ewr, lga) and Long call (14 hrs). Although some months not all bases and seats have long call. If you got in the next few classes you would most likely have a short stint on reserve maybe 4 months max with the recently announced increase in hiring, all about timing especially with a small group like us.

Commuter Policy: One primary and 2 backups (really horrible policy I think, luckily I don't commute). Obviously you lose pay for what you miss. One thing is the CP's are fairly reasonable and unless you are a problem child you will be fine. I think 80% of this group commutes by air so its not like you'll be an outlier. I can tell you though that this job like any is much better NOT commuting and I think the move to PDX will work out for you eventually with the current merger.

Good Luck!

Flitestar
03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks shaft.

Would it be reasonable to expect a new mutually agreed contract for both Virgin and Alaska before both unions even touch the SLI process?

Has the union hinted any kind of fences around domicilies/equipment from either side?

Thx.

BiloxiJack
03-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Yes, early September at the latest depending on the route the negotiations take.

No, zero hints about fences.

Thanks shaft.

Would it be reasonable to expect a new mutually agreed contract for both Virgin and Alaska before both unions even touch the SLI process?

Has the union hinted any kind of fences around domicilies/equipment from either side?

Thx.

THE SHAFT
03-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Thanks shaft.

Thx.

ALPA policy----JCBA then SLI...latest arbitration decision is October 11th 2017. Since you would be ultimately hired after 4/4/16 your SLI seniority would be your straight DOH. Good news is that both sides are hiring! No hint on fences or domicles BUT I imagine they will be tall to control training costs.

pilotman46
03-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Got the link for the assessment test. Has anyone taken it recently that can tell me what I can expect?

grasshoppr
03-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Got the link for the assessment test. Has anyone taken it recently that can tell me what I can expect?

Lots of HR type questions with varying levels of agree/disagree options. A whacky timed cognitive exam. Make sure you finish it. Then more HR questions.

Skip0927
03-14-2017, 05:24 AM
After completing the questionnaire from HR, how long till you hear something? What is the next step after questionnaire?

Flitestar
03-14-2017, 06:01 AM
All the answers have been discussed previously on this thread, go back a few pages and read on, well worth it...

Flitestar
03-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Has anybody that attended the WIA job fair heard anything since?

Wynncore
03-19-2017, 09:42 PM
After completing the questionnaire from HR, how long till you hear something? What is the next step after questionnaire?

The timeline for the answer to your question has always been inconsistent, it could vary from days to weeks to months. As I understand it, either one of three things will happen:

1. You'll get a call to schedule an interview.

2. You'll receive the official TBNT email. (I have no idea if you can reapply in the next window or not if you receive the TBNT email).

3. You'll hear nothing. If this is the case keep applying in every window that opens and continue seeking them out at job fairs.

Skip0927
03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
FliteStar, I did and I got the questionnaire and it's been crickets since I submitted it.

Wynncore, thanks for the update!

Flitestar
03-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Same here Skip, questionnaire sent back, still nothing...

Riverside
03-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Same here Skip, questionnaire sent back, still nothing...

Maybe you'll have better luck with Kalitta.

nuneze23
03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
FliteStar, I did and I got the questionnaire and it's been crickets since I submitted it.

Wynncore, thanks for the update!

Hang in there, once you've submitted your questionnaire the interview call is based upon up coming classes. its all timing, if you've completed it right after they've filled classes then you're SOL. Word on the ramp is they want to hire 120 this year, if thats the case you should be good.

good luck!

Flitestar
03-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Good info nune, thx!

nuneze23
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Good info nune, thx!

any time! send me a PM if you have anymore questions.

Skip0927
03-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Thx nune, cant wait for the call!

Wynncore
03-21-2017, 09:34 PM
What is so interesting about Virgin America pilot hiring is that literally no one has deep knowledge on the inner workings of pilot recruiting. They've done a very good job of keeping that a closely held secret. Most airlines have a blueprint and road map that is predicable and well worn on how to get the call, but with Virgin it is literally anyone's guess on how that department works and operates. They do a great job but nobody truly knows how to crack their code.

One thing that is absolutely true about both VX and AS: Consistently showing a strong desire to be here is something both airlines value and something that will play into whether or not you are offered an interview.

(Speculation): Moving forward (sometime late 2017 or 1st-2nd quarter 2018) the Alaska and Virgin America pilot recruiting team will become one and the selection/interview process will probably switch over to the pre merger Alaska Airlines format with some VX selection/interview qualities mixed into it. Hopefully that will make the process a tad more transparent than it is now.

Until then, continue networking and showing up at job fairs and doing a great job at your current company. I hope the phone rings soon from a SFO area code!

Yetifan
03-22-2017, 05:11 AM
What is so interesting about Virgin America pilot hiring is that literally no one has deep knowledge on the inner workings of pilot recruiting. They've done a very good job of keeping that a closely held secret. Most airlines have a blueprint and road map that is predicable and well worn on how to get the call, but with Virgin it is literally anyone's guess on how that department works and operates. They do a great job but nobody truly knows how to crack their code.

One thing that is absolutely true about both VX and AS: Consistently showing a strong desire to be here is something both airlines value and something that will play into whether or not you are offered an interview.

(Speculation): Moving forward (sometime late 2017 or 1st-2nd quarter 2018) the Alaska and Virgin America pilot recruiting team will become one and the selection/interview process will probably switch over to the pre merger Alaska Airlines format with some VX selection/interview qualities mixed into it. Hopefully that will make the process a tad more transparent than it is now.

Until then, continue networking and showing up at job fairs and doing a great job at your current company. I hope the phone rings soon from a SFO area code!

Or ignore all of this and go to Delta/United like quite a few are doing who already work at Alaska/Virgin...

SpecialEd
03-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got an interview scheduled and I'm very excited.

There are some things, though, that would maybe make me hesitant to accept an offer (should I be lucky enough to receive one). My goal is to be SEA based eventually, which means I'd be planning on commuting to SFO initially. So a few questions, and I apologize if they've been answered but I've read dozens of pages back:
When will there be one seniority list? I was told at a job fair by the end of this year, is that true? If so, does that mean I would be able to bid SEA or will VX bases continue to be VX bases and AS bases AS bases for a period of time? Also, it seems like there won't be a lot of hiring on either side, which means a while on reserve. Anyone know how long that is running in SFO (or LAX)? And how is QOL for people commuting to reserve?

I've always wanted to work here and it is an opportunity I may not get again, but I am at about 800TPIC and not getting to fly much so it would definitely be difficult to jump ship should I get there and need out for whatever reason.

Thanks for the help

SkyKing466
03-24-2017, 02:51 PM
Just curious what are your stats/times?

Skip0927
03-24-2017, 02:53 PM
SpecialEd, what was timeframe from when you received questionnaire to when you were offered interview. What was timeframe from when you heard something to interview date?

BiloxiJack
03-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Where did you hear that there won't be very much hiring going on? On the VX side it was announced we are at least doubling the slated hiring for 2017... on the Alaska side,they are interviewing weekly.

As for the other questions, I wouldn't plan on Seattle anytime soon as we are keeping the Airbus for at least the next few years and it would be enormously surprising to see that become a base with the Airbus.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got an interview scheduled and I'm very excited.

There are some things, though, that would maybe make me hesitant to accept an offer (should I be lucky enough to receive one). My goal is to be SEA based eventually, which means I'd be planning on commuting to SFO initially. So a few questions, and I apologize if they've been answered but I've read dozens of pages back:
When will there be one seniority list? I was told at a job fair by the end of this year, is that true? If so, does that mean I would be able to bid SEA or will VX bases continue to be VX bases and AS bases AS bases for a period of time? Also, it seems like there won't be a lot of hiring on either side, which means a while on reserve. Anyone know how long that is running in SFO (or LAX)? And how is QOL for people commuting to reserve?

I've always wanted to work here and it is an opportunity I may not get again, but I am at about 800TPIC and not getting to fly much so it would definitely be difficult to jump ship should I get there and need out for whatever reason.

Thanks for the help

SpecialEd
03-24-2017, 05:29 PM
As for the other questions, I wouldn't plan on Seattle anytime soon as we are keeping the Airbus for at least the next few years and it would be enormously surprising to see that become a base with the Airbus.

Thanks that makes sense, what I'm wondering though is whether or not Airbus guys in VX bases will be able to bid 737 in AS bases once everyone is all on one seniority list. IOW, are there plans for "fences" or will everyone be able to bid whatever they want? Or has that even been decided yet?

And for the other guys, ~4000TT, 800TPIC, 4 yr degree, no training failures. Got called about 2 weeks after submitting the questionnaire.

BiloxiJack
03-24-2017, 06:00 PM
No decision has been made about a timeline for that. I would assume it'll be a trickle effect way down the road for transition bids.

I will say this.. unless you have an in with Alaska, i.e. multiple base chiefs pushing for you to be hired ASAP and your goal is to retire at Alaska, you'd be a fool to sit around and wait on their call and bypass vx. Your times aren't competitive at AS without some sort of major pull like that. trading seniority is never a good thing in this business and being hired today at vx guarentees you're senior to a Alaska new hire tomorrow.. having to commute for an Airbus with higher pay (than I'm assuming a regional?) until you can transfer to the 73 and bid for Seattle is a smart move.

Thanks that makes sense, what I'm wondering though is whether or not Airbus guys in VX bases will be able to bid 737 in AS bases once everyone is all on one seniority list. IOW, are there plans for "fences" or will everyone be able to bid whatever they want? Or has that even been decided yet?

And for the other guys, ~4000TT, 800TPIC, 4 yr degree, no training failures. Got called about 2 weeks after submitting the questionnaire.

SpecialEd
03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
I will say this.. unless you have an in with Alaska, i.e. multiple base chiefs pushing for you to be hired ASAP and your goal is to retire at Alaska, you'd be a fool to sit around and wait on their call and bypass vx. Your times aren't competitive at AS without some sort of major pull like that. trading seniority is never a good thing in this business and being hired today at vx guarentees you're senior to a Alaska new hire tomorrow.. having to commute for an Airbus with higher pay (than I'm assuming a regional?) until you can transfer to the 73 and bid for Seattle is a smart move.

100% agree, thanks for the advice. I'd be a fool to wait for just about anything given where I am now so I'm feeling pretty excited to even have a chance here. Can anyone share some of the bullet points of what reserve is like? I see 13 days off on the APC profile but anything about how it works and how long it might take to get off in SFO would be much appreciated

juventus
03-25-2017, 03:15 PM
As far as getting off reserve in SFO , it all depends when you are hired and done with training, considering that about half of the pilot hiring for this year , it's done already, if you are at beginning of next half you'll be off reserve within a few months, otherwise it could be longer depending on 2018 hiring numbers. I'm not sure how many in the pool waiting for a class so hard to say. Good luck .

Packrat
03-25-2017, 04:38 PM
The only flaw in that theory is if AS decides to return the Bus when the leases expire before the SLI, VX pilots will be furloughed. Figure that into the equation.

juventus
03-25-2017, 04:58 PM
No they won't ,it's spelled on the TPA .

echelon
03-25-2017, 05:01 PM
The only flaw in that theory is if AS decides to return the Bus when the leases expire before the SLI, VX pilots will be furloughed. Figure that into the equation.
Is there any chance of that happening? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of buying the airline in the first place? Seems like to furlough VX's pilots, they'd have to either hire a bunch more AS pilots and add more 737s to cover their flying or just axe all VX's routes. Or am I missing the point

Packrat
03-25-2017, 05:04 PM
AS has more 737s on order than VX has Busses. They'll keep them until the leases expire then dump them. I imagine VX pilots will be offered the opportunity to bid for AS 737 positions once the SLI is hammered out.

Riverside
03-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Is there any chance of that happening? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of buying the airline in the first place? Seems like to furlough VX's pilots, they'd have to either hire a bunch more AS pilots and add more 737s to cover their flying or just axe all VX's routes. Or am I missing the point

Read the post above

echelon
03-25-2017, 05:05 PM
AS has more 737s on order than VX has Busses. They'll keep them until the leases expire then dump them.
But then wouldn't they need the pilots to fly them?

Riverside
03-25-2017, 05:10 PM
But then wouldn't they need the pilots to fly them?

Vx has their pilots and AS has their pilots. Two separate pilot group.

juventus
03-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Without going into details, the TPA protects VX pilots , stating that if buses are parked before SLI and no 737 spots it's yet available, you will stay home at full pay until a 73 spot opens .

echelon
03-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Vx has their pilots and AS has their pilots. Two separate pilot group.
I know that, but it seems to me that AS parking the busses would mean either 1. They are giving up all the airbus flying (in which case, why did they buy the airline?) or 2. They are planning to use AS pilots to cover it all, which would be impossible unless they hire as many pilots as are currently at VX, or 3. They would use the VX pilots.

3 seems like the only logical choice right? I'm confused, what am I missing...

SpecialEd
03-25-2017, 05:29 PM
As far as getting off reserve in SFO , it all depends when you are hired and done with training, considering that about half of the pilot hiring for this year , it's done already, if you are at beginning of next half you'll be off reserve within a few months, otherwise it could be longer depending on 2018 hiring numbers. I'm not sure how many in the pool waiting for a class so hard to say. Good luck .

Awesome thanks for the info.

SpecialEd
03-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Without going into details, the TPA protects VX pilots , stating that if buses are parked before SLI and no 737 spots it's yet available, you will stay home at full pay until a 73 spot opens .

Ah ok, I'm not familiar with this, what is the TPA and is it set in stone?

juventus
03-25-2017, 05:34 PM
It's the joint mec Alaska/Virgin negotiated Transition process agreement with Alaska Air group .

juventus
03-25-2017, 05:36 PM
And Yes it's binding document , that's why it took 7 plus months to negotiate.

Bugaboo
03-26-2017, 06:00 AM
And Yes it's binding document , that's why it took 7 plus months to negotiate.

No. The fact that it is a binding document is not why it took 7 months to negotiate. The reason is that AK mgt stalled and delayed at every possible meeting. Same thing is happening with the JCBA.

ShyGuy
03-26-2017, 10:53 AM

The TPA spells everything out, the JCBA and SLI have fixed timelines. Both will be done a lot sooner than you might imagine. There are also labor/protections, and things like protection of block hours flown by each 737 fleet and A320 fleet pre-Apr 4 announcement and to maintain similar block hours for each fleet afterwards during this timeframe. I really have to give credit to the union guys on the TPA, it is a very thorough document with numerous protections and scenarios addressed.

If actions speak louder than words, their plan on retrofitting the entire Airbus fleet with new interiors and FC seats, saying it will pay off for itself before even the first lease expires in 2019. The final fleet plan comes out later this year, but from all accounts worse case scenario still seems to be operating Airbuses until their leases expire over 2019-2026. Airbuses will be flown for quite some time.

Reggie Dunlop
03-26-2017, 02:49 PM
AS has more 737s on order than VX has Busses. They'll keep them until the leases expire then dump them. I imagine VX pilots will be offered the opportunity to bid for AS 737 positions once the SLI is hammered out.

Generally, people like this who know the least know it the loudest and most confidently.

BiloxiJack
03-26-2017, 05:30 PM
^plus 1 million.. packrat is an idiot who likes to spout nonsense Generally, people like this who know the least know it the loudest and most confidently.

Klsytakesit
03-27-2017, 01:20 AM
In effect there are no Virgin pilots and Alaska pilots any longer. There are only Alaska pilots. Some fly 737's and some fly the Airbus. At this point there are two doors into Alaska Airlines. One in Seattle and the other in San Francisco. Both are date of hire for seniority and longevity and have been since the day the merger was announced. After the JCBA is settled, most likely via arbitration in the Oct to Dec 2017 timeframe, all of the Alaska Airlines pilots will work from the same CBA. SLI will commence in the fall most likely. The list and the methods for seat and domicile bidding/ fences if any will be decided via arbitration and subsequently implemented. All of the pilots hired after the merger announcment both in SEA and SFO will be unaffected by the SLI as they will appear on the list with their original date of hire. They will not be bound by any fences that are part of the SLI process.
If you want to work at Alaska Airlines come through the first open door....

RG959
03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
I should have 3,000 TT in about 2-3 weeks. Does anybody know how long the current hiring window will stay open? And possibly when it will open again later this year? Thanks!

Wynncore
03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
I should have 3,000 TT in about 2-3 weeks. Does anybody know how long the current hiring window will stay open? And possibly when it will open again later this year? Thanks!

Apologies that I cannot offer absolute facts, but "typically" the VX window closes in the Spring and reopens sometime in the Fall, "typically" around the OBAP conference in August. Industry wide, Summer is usually quieter interview wise as the airlines are focused on the completing the summer schedule and interviewing and hiring ramp back up in the fall. This is a "rule of thumb" and might not be necessarily hold true with VX in 2017. AS will be running classes in July and August (and beyond) and with the Airbus utilization rates going up in 2017, the VX hiring forecast has doubled so it wouldn't surprise me if the VX hiring window stays open for awhile. However, should it close soon, expect it to open again toward the end of Summer/early Fall.

Best of luck!

RG959
03-28-2017, 09:14 PM
@Wynncore- Thank you for your genuine response to my question and not barking or scolding at me for asking one. Some people on these forums spend more time and energy B****ing out a guy than just being a bro and paying it forward.

NotTellin
03-28-2017, 10:04 PM

If you're that close, I would apply with a 3000 total on the app. You'll be long past it by the time you interview.

Flitestar
03-31-2017, 04:36 AM
Would anybody care to share some insight on what to expect on interview day? PM or share here if you prefer.

Thanks all!

rogersmith
03-31-2017, 05:33 AM
All the answers have been discussed previously on this thread, go back a few pages and read on, well worth it...

Those in glasshouses...

Flitestar
03-31-2017, 05:37 AM
I've read them.

Just looking for recent info from current batch, that's all.

If any of you have anything you'd like to share feel free, if not, that's ok too.

Cheers.

Skip0927
03-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Flitestar, you hear something?

Flitestar
03-31-2017, 08:06 AM
Yeah. PM sent...

IFlyFL410
03-31-2017, 09:36 PM
Interesting read the past several pages. I scored an interview last week for next Friday at Virgin. I have a laundry list of questions if you guys are interested in answering them. Thanks in advance.

• How long to hold a line?
• How many are you hiring this year?
• How does reserve work?
• Long call? Short call?
• Reserves used a lot? Seldom?
• Projected class dates?
• Commuter policy?
• How long is the upgrade?
• Are hotels covered during training?
• What is the pay during training?
• Trip rigs? Duty rigs?
• Average line value?

IDIOTPILOT
03-31-2017, 11:20 PM
I've read them.

Just looking for recent info from current batch, that's all.

If any of you have anything you'd like to share feel free, if not, that's ok too.

Cheers.

Still the same interview. No major changes so far. No tie.

Flitestar
04-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Thx.

(Filler)

mosquito
04-06-2017, 10:50 AM
This thread has been quiet for a while. How often does Virgin America have new hire class?

GreatBigSea
04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
This thread has been quiet for a while. How often does Virgin America have new hire class?

Seemingly twice a month since late December.

ShyGuy
04-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Interesting read the past several pages. I scored an interview last week for next Friday at Virgin. I have a laundry list of questions if you guys are interested in answering them. Thanks in advance.

• How long to hold a line?

Unless hired in the beginning of a given hiring spree, plan on being reserve for at least one year (maybe less, maybe more).

• How many are you hiring this year?
121 newhire FOs.

• How does reserve work?
• Long call? Short call?
Short call and long call for SFO, LAX; only short call for NYC. 2 hr callout for SFO/LAX and 3 hr callout for NYC short call. Long call is like most other airlines, day before first reserve day you check the schedule/phone in a certain timeframe to be assigned flying. No airport standby. 75 hr guarantee. 13 days off per month regardless of 30/31 day month. Typically the most is 5 days on, then several days off. A very common example would be 5 on, days off, 4 on, days off, 4 on, days off, 4 on.

• Reserves used a lot? Seldom?

They're used. Seldom or a lot depends on base, seat, and time of year.

• Projected class dates?
Seems like 2/month going on since December.

• Commuter policy?
Requires one primary flight and *two* backups that would have gotten you to work in proper time. I think if you get one missed in a year you're ok. I wouldn't want to risk anything on probation though.

• How long is the upgrade?
Forget the upgrade. Currently it's at the 5.7 yr mark but that's for those hired 5.7 yrs ago (most junior went 11/2011). If you're hired today, unless there's massive growth/huge increase in fleet plan, you will be at the bottom of ~2,600 pilots and have to theoretically be around 1300-1500 on the combined list to hold a CA seat. The combined airline retires ~670 for the next 10 years. You can do some rough math. Bottom line, if a quick upgrade is what you are looking for then this isn't your place.

• Are hotels covered during training?
No. In SFO you are on your own. If you get sims in MIA, then you'll get a hotel.

• What is the pay during training?
IIRC, $2,500/month

• Trip rigs? Duty rigs?
Haha. To be fair with a predominant transcon network, most pairings are decent.

• Average line value?

Depends. If you don't get unstacked (long story), you can hold min time (70 hrs) or try and ask for max (97 hrs). Compared to other airlines, our credit award window is very large at 70-97 hrs.

waterboy
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM

How long to hold a line?
How many are you hiring this year?
How does reserve work?
Long call? Short call?
Reserves used a lot? Seldom?
Projected class dates?
Commuter policy?
How long is the upgrade?
Are hotels covered during training?
What is the pay during training?
Trip rigs? Duty rigs?
Average line value?

No idea on how long until you hold a line. I think your base will play a major role as well as when you are hired. But we have 5 planes coming this year , and we were supposed to have 5 more next year. Not sure what the deal is on next years 5 airframes

According to an email last month we are hiring 128 pilots this year.

We have short call and long call reserve. 2 hour call out for short call in LAX and SFO, and 3 hours (I think) in NYC. You cover all three airports, but you get a $60 stipend if you have to report to EWR. Long call is 14 hour callout, but I don't believe it's available in NYC. Just SFO and LAX. You are able to "preference" trips in open time on long call.

Hit or miss on reserve on how often you will get used. But plan on more often than seldom.

No idea on projected class dates. They should give you that info at the interview.

Commuter policy sucks. You need to give yourself 3 flights.

Upgrade? Currently it's about 5-6 years. But for a new hire now, I couldn't tell that either. But it could also be about 5-6 years. The company talks about doubling in size over the next 5 years. But I don't know what's supposed to double. It could be seats, could be the regional flying, could be revenue, it could their operating profit margin, or it could be actual mainline hulls...

Hotels are not covered in training. UNLESS you do you sims in Miami. Then you get a hotel, rental car and per diem. If you are stuck in SFO, they will give you a rental car to share with your sim partner. Lodging is on your own.

Pay was $2500 a month. Not sure if that's still the case.

No trip or duty rigs. We do get 3.5 hours of pay for every 24 hours we have on a layover. But other than that Work rules are pretty much non existent at Virgin America. Not even block or better. And block out doesn't start until push back hits a certain speed. Oh but in 2014 they reduced that speed by .5 knots. That was a bullet point in our compensation package that year.

I don't have a good answer for avg line value either. Sorry. It's pretty much what you want. Some guys bid the min of 70 while others want 95 hours on their line. A few times a year where we have flex months, and the min guarantee jumps to 75 hours for lineholders.

This is place is a fun place to work, but an awful place to pick up a paycheck from. You'll fly with the best crewmembers here, and report to the worst management team. Hopefully it gets better with Alaska, but I'm not holding my breathe. With that said, Good luck. LOL.

mosquito
04-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Seemingly twice a month since late December.

Thanks. I submitted my questionnaire last week let see if I get an interview.

VirginA320
04-10-2017, 09:15 AM
I interviewed 4/6, got the call 20 mins after leaving. Class date 5/22. were 13 in the interview. not sure who all made it out. my timeline below.

3/28 apply
3/29 assesment
4/1 call for interview
4/6 interview
4/6 called after for a class date.

hope that helps anyone cheers

IFlyFL410
04-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was also hired on 4/6 and start class on 5/22. What are the pass privileges like? I assume wife and kids fly free? Buddy passes? Thanks.

nuneze23
04-10-2017, 12:01 PM
I interviewed 4/6, got the call 20 mins after leaving. Class date 5/22. were 13 in the interview. not sure who all made it out. my timeline below.

3/28 apply
3/29 assesment
4/1 call for interview
4/6 interview
4/6 called after for a class date.

hope that helps anyone cheers

WOW I thought mine was fast! congratulations VA320... by any chance did they mention how many more classes, during the interview?

VirginA320
04-10-2017, 12:03 PM
WOW I thought mine was fast! congratulations VA320... by any chance did they mention how many more classes, during the interview?

hey! they said they were going to hire 120 more this year. i think a class a month? i can let you know more from when i get to the class. cheers

nuneze23
04-10-2017, 12:19 PM
hey! they said they were going to hire 120 more this year. i think a class a month? i can let you know more from when i get to the class. cheers

thats great! welcome aboard!! :)

OCCP
04-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Has Alaska changed the interview process? Is it still no ties and mostly TMAAT questions?

SpecialEd
04-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Has Alaska changed the interview process? Is it still no ties and mostly TMAAT questions?

Seemed to be just like the previous gouges, although our group didn't do the TMAAT cards during the group portion (I think we ran out of time). So to answer your question,it doesn't seem like they've changed as of now

David Puddy
04-13-2017, 06:29 PM
What are the typical backgrounds of recent newhire classes? What proportion of pilots are from regionals vs. Corp/Frax vs. Military?

VirginA320
04-13-2017, 10:54 PM
What are the typical backgrounds of recent newhire classes? What proportion of pilots are from regionals vs. Corp/Frax vs. Military?

hi there. I was prior 121 ,and current 135. we had a couple regional guys, CA and FO, 2 guys from flexjet, 2 military, and one foreign 777 cargo FO. 13 total and i know of 6 so far with the offer.

I have 3800TT, 2000 121 CRJ, 135 training captain, and sim instructor time. Very cool experience, met alot of great people. PM me if you guys have any questions. Cheers

VirginA320
04-13-2017, 11:15 PM
It was a TMATT scenario interview with no technical questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred Flintstone
04-14-2017, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was also hired on 4/6 and start class on 5/22. What are the pass privileges like? I assume wife and kids fly free? Buddy passes? Thanks.

Wife & kids free as usual. Buddy passes for now. Pass program is moving over to the Alaska bennies as the contract & certificate integration progresses. Company says spring 2018 to finish the Borg assimilation.

BTW, UflyFL390 now! Welcome aboard.

IFlyFL410
04-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Wife & kids free as usual. Buddy passes for now. Pass program is moving over to the Alaska bennies as the contract & certificate integration progresses. Company says spring 2018 to finish the Borg assimilation.

BTW, UflyFL390 now! Welcome aboard.

Thanks! This a very old screen name from two jobs ago. I've spent the last ten years at FL450 and above. But oh well. Thanks again for the response.

cactipilot
04-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Hey guys/gals! Is there anyone out there in class or waiting for a class that knows where they might stand in the whole big picture of the hiring wave (in other words, they're number xx out of 120 or whatever they are saying they're trying to hire this year due to increased utilization of the Airbuses by Alaska's expansion) ?? Any additional info for others would be great - it seems a good place to go and some friends say they're not even going to have to sit reserve hopefully!

mosquito
04-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Hey guys question, after a questionnaire has been submitted how long is the average wait? And do they let you know if you didn't it Make the cut? Thanks

VirginA320
04-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Hey guys/gals! Is there anyone out there in class or waiting for a class that knows where they might stand in the whole big picture of the hiring wave (in other words, they're number xx out of 120 or whatever they are saying they're trying to hire this year due to increased utilization of the Airbuses by Alaska's expansion) ?? Any additional info for others would be great - it seems a good place to go and some friends say they're not even going to have to sit reserve hopefully!

im pretty sure april 1st was the start of the wave. dont quote me on that

BiloxiJack
04-19-2017, 02:04 PM
well thank god we aren't supposed to quote you on that since there has been at least one, usually two, classes going through monthly since late December of this current wave.

im pretty sure april 1st was the start of the wave. dont quote me on that

cactipilot
04-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Well a few friends/colleagues are now in several of the classes so I know there is a Mid april class that just started, May 1, May 22 and mid June all of varying sizes. It seems like it's a better place to get in to Alaska than at AS right now since the new hires are pooling for a June/July start at the earliest.

cactipilot
04-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Anyone know if they were trickling in the classes the first quarter of the year until AS management announced an increase of Productivity in the Airbus VX fleet that resulted in an upping from 50 ish to 120 ish in terms of new hires in this wave. It'd be great to get in early since it seems its anyones guess if they're hiring more anytime soon coming up and the last pilot in may be enjoying reserve until a decision on drawdown of the airbus fleet as the leases expire.

Groundpointfife
04-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Hey guys question, after a questionnaire has been submitted how long is the average wait? And do they let you know if you didn't it Make the cut? Thanks

Looking for the same information. I've heard 2 weeks average from questionnaire to interview. I have also heard that the questionnaire means they will interview.

Has anyone that received the questionnaire on 4/14 set up an interview?

IFlyFL410
04-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Looking for the same information. I've heard 2 weeks average from questionnaire to interview. I have also heard that the questionnaire means they will interview.

Once I received the questionnaire it was only a week later that I got the call for an interview. Interviewed a few weeks later and got the job the day of the interview.

Groundpointfife
04-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Once I received the questionnaire it was only a week later that I got the call for an interview. Interviewed a few weeks later and got the job the day of the interview.

How recently was your questionnaire?

IFlyFL410
04-20-2017, 09:54 AM
How recently was your questionnaire?

My questionnaire e-mail came on March 10th, one week after the Women in Aviation conference in Orlando. I submitted it within a day or two and received the interview invite phone call the following week for the April 6th interview.

mosquito
04-20-2017, 11:10 AM

I'm on week 3 since I received it and sent it back.

Skip0927
04-20-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm on week 3 since I received it and sent it back.

Me too.....

SpecialEd
04-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Me too.....

It took me about 4 weeks to get called for an interview after submitting it at the end of February

mosquito
04-20-2017, 08:05 PM
It took me about 4 weeks to get called for an interview after submitting it at the end of February

Good to know thanks

hammerb90
04-21-2017, 07:40 AM

I received it the same day, sent it back on the 15th and haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know if/when I do.

Groundpointfife
04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
I received it the same day, sent it back on the 15th and haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know if/when I do.

Sounds good. I sent it back the next day too. I'll let you know if when I hear back.

mosquito
04-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Sounds good. I sent it back the next day too. I'll let you know if when I hear back.

I'll do the same!

Jetlife
04-21-2017, 02:34 PM
I heard back in about a week but it sounds like it varies.

B200 Hawk
04-21-2017, 04:42 PM
FWIW I received it the 14th and sent back the 15th. Still waiting as well.

Petethedog
04-21-2017, 06:18 PM
FWIW I received it the 14th and sent back the 15th. Still waiting as well.

Same here.... Good luck all!

MarcS08
04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Also received one on the 14th. Returned it on the 17th.

AtlCSIP
04-22-2017, 08:23 PM

Nope...........

SpecialEd
04-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Just a quick question...
Obviously not a big deal or anything but is it mandatory that pilots use the company provided luggage? I'm guessing it is but I just thought I'd ask since I'm rather attached to my LW... We've been through a lot together haha

Jetlife
04-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Yep it's part of the uniform.

SpecialEd
04-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Yep it's part of the uniform.

Ok cool thanks!

greaser
04-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Just a quick question...
Obviously not a big deal or anything but is it mandatory that pilots use the company provided luggage? I'm guessing it is but I just thought I'd ask since I'm rather attached to my LW... We've been through a lot together haha

I had an attachment to my LW tank and miss it on occasion. For now my wife uses it which I admire for its battle scars and street cred. I suspect I'll go back to it after the integration is done and the bean counters do their thing about perks like luggage.

The VX provided luggage is also LW but not the metal "tank".. its a pretty good bag, light weight. The laptop bag is fantastic, you will want to use it. Once in a while you will see a scofflaw who brings their own bag but that's rare. Your bag will not be abused working in Fifi, but I don't know what your commute is like..

BiloxiJack
04-27-2017, 09:12 AM
I hate our bags. You put one shoe too many and it tips over, you put the lap top bag on the j hook and it tips over, you take a leak hands off the bag and it tips over causing the knee jerk reaction of reaching back to get it thus exposing the draining weasel to the men's room and adding another reason not to wear flip flops in a public restroom. I had an attachment to my LW tank and miss it on occasion. For now my wife uses it which I admire for its battle scars and street cred. I suspect I'll go back to it after the integration is done and the bean counters do their thing about perks like luggage.

The VX provided luggage is also LW but not the metal "tank".. its a pretty good bag, light weight. The laptop bag is fantastic, you will want to use it. Once in a while you will see a scofflaw who brings their own bag but that's rare. Your bag will not be abused working in Fifi, but I don't know what your commute is like..

Jetlife
04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
I miss my Stealth Air but I like the company issue LW as well. Put the heavy stuff in the bottom of the bag, and adjust the J hook and the tips will be reduced, but this bag does tip over more than my last.

Packrat
04-27-2017, 10:46 AM
If your bag tipping over is the worst problem you have in life, you have a pretty darn good life. :D

Pogey Bait
04-27-2017, 11:09 AM
I hate our bags. You put one shoe too many and it tips over, you put the lap top bag on the j hook and it tips over, you take a leak hands off the bag and it tips over causing the knee jerk reaction of reaching back to get it thus exposing the draining weasel to the men's room and adding another reason not to wear flip flops in a public restroom.

The bags are designed this way, don't worry your bag is functioning properly.

Jetlife
04-27-2017, 06:51 PM
So reading changes in the GOM in the merger e-learning, I do not see luggage listed...

Klsytakesit
04-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Zero chance that luggage will be part of anything.....We have no luggage policy and we pay for 100% of the uniform.....including wings, ties and epauletts.....More to love at Alaska Air....

Wynncore
04-30-2017, 12:23 AM
Is the luggage given to pilots by VX considered "company property" or is/was it gifted to the pilots and is therefore owned by each pilot?

I just ask because I wonder if they can pull the "we need to see whats in your bag and we can because the bag belongs to us..." routine.

VX hiring question: Is VX having classes through the summer, or are you all on a hiatus until July/Aug?

Saltlife85
04-30-2017, 05:03 AM
The bags are yours to keep. If anyone asks you they need to look inside it better be a TSA agent or law enforcement.. otherwise no company personnel should ever ask that question. As far as hiring, I have no idea. We usually take a break over the summer months but this place is so terribly understaffed it wouldn't surprise me if AS keeps the hiring up.

BHawks
04-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Received the questionnaire on 4-14 like everyone else and was just curious if anyone has heard anything yet? Hit the 2 week mark and just seeing if anyone got anything towards an interview or the next step.

diamnd15
04-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Received the questionnaire on 4-14 like everyone else and was just curious if anyone has heard anything yet? Hit the 2 week mark and just seeing if anyone got anything towards an interview or the next step.

i got an email saying thanks for sending in the questionnaire on 4/24

hammerb90
04-30-2017, 04:49 PM
^ Same. I got a thank you email on the 24th.

IFlyFL410
04-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Does Virgin also provide the uniforms? Starting class on May 22nd and am just curious.

IDIOTPILOT
04-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Does Virgin also provide the uniforms? Starting class on May 22nd and am just curious.

Yes, it's all provided.

Str8tWingDrvr
05-01-2017, 07:41 AM
^ Same. I got a thank you email on the 24th.

I received the Thank You email as well, on the 26th..

B200 Hawk
05-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I received the Thank You email as well, on the 26th..

Same, around the same date.

Groundpointfife
05-01-2017, 10:12 AM
No call yet. Received the pilot questionnaire 4/14, thanks on the 24th confirming she had received it. Sounds like it may be a week or two more before we know.

Have a friend who is A320 typed and current with an internal rec. Received the pilot questionnaire​ 4/14, received a thank you on the 24-25th. He was called evening of the 25th to schedule the interview. Goes in tomorrow 5/2.

Sounds like call time varies.

OzarkALPilot
05-01-2017, 12:52 PM
I received the same questionnaire on the 14th and confirmation of receipt on the 24th.

Any updates on what to expect next.

Groundpointfife
05-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I received the same questionnaire on the 14th and confirmation of receipt on the 24th.

Any updates on what to expect next.

A telephone call to schedule an interview.

flyingak
05-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Heard of a couple guys squeaking into VX under 3k total. Applied today and got an e-mail that I'm not qualified. So, were those rumor bull? Or did the system still take my information in even though I got that e-mail?

Arliss
05-02-2017, 05:02 AM
Heard of a couple guys squeaking into VX under 3k total. Applied today and got an e-mail that I'm not qualified. So, were those rumor bull? Or did the system still take my information in even though I got that e-mail?

I can't answer, but wondered the same thing. I have a friend who just finished training there and he told me plenty of people with less than 3k have been hired, but when I applied the same thing happened. It might be something with Alaska having more say in the process. I know because of them a 4 year degree is now required at VX. That friend also told me that VX HR *might* drop the TT requirement to 2.5k later this year.