Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

jaded
04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
What news of apps and interviews?

last I heard from the CP a few days ago, they're debating whether or not to have one class 3rd week of April. Other than that no plans on hiring until Fall... But that could change of course.

captnmo
04-06-2014, 05:31 PM
last I heard from the CP a few days ago, they're debating whether or not to have one class 3rd week of April. Other than that no plans on hiring until Fall... But that could change of course.

I see they're going to have recruiters a the FAPA job fair on May 1st. Will that help get noticed and hired? Any chance of more hiring in the near future?

jaded
04-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I see they're going to have recruiters a the FAPA job fair on May 1st. Will that help get noticed and hired? Any chance of more hiring in the near future?

I didn't go to any job fairs when I was applying but I would think that meeting our HR and hiring team will help out. As far as hiring goes, it's really just a matter of when... but I don't see us hiring like gangbusters anytime soon. It's usually to replenish for the bit of attrition and FAR 117. No plans of getting new airplanes until end of 2015.

BrasiliaDriver
04-07-2014, 02:35 AM
Couldn't hurt. I'd heard they were planning on hiring from one source, but on here they are saying no hiring until late fall. May as well get started now and hope your name is on their list in the fall.

gvinflight
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Bump...

Any recent updates on hiring and/or potentially helpful info? Anyone in class? Heard there is an April class now...

MusicPilot
04-14-2014, 08:06 PM
2 guys at the end of the month. Probably slowing down until the ipo.

ducdriver
04-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Do VX tell you if your in the newhire pool? Or does not hearing anything after the interview mean your in a pool?

MusicPilot
04-15-2014, 08:12 AM
You'll either get a TBNT or an offer to move on further.

ducdriver
04-15-2014, 01:19 PM
You'll either get a TBNT or an offer to move on further.

Thanks MP.

MusicPilot
04-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Anytime. Hopefully they start more classes so you guys can hop aboard.

ShyGuy
04-15-2014, 06:54 PM
2 guys at the end of the month. Probably slowing down until the ipo.

A newhire class with only 2 pilots? :confused:

MusicPilot
04-16-2014, 05:24 AM
A newhire class with only 2 pilots? :confused:

Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one. 1 is a new hire that was in a previous class that had leave and then return, so I guess they paired someone with him for training.

silver fleet
04-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Can anyone recommend an interview prep company for VX? I know there is Emerald Coast for FX and US, but anyone have intel on one that has assisted with the VX process? Cheers!

spudskier
04-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Can anyone recommend an interview prep company for VX? I know there is Emerald Coast for FX and US, but anyone have intel on one that has assisted with the VX process? Cheers!

Check you PMs, many interview prep courses will be overkill for a VA interview.

ShyGuy
04-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Check you PMs, many interview prep courses will be overkill for a VA interview.

Agreed. IMO the best advice is to be nice, be yourself, have your own genuine (TRUE) stories ready and presented in a SAR format. Think of some of the nicest/kindest pilots you've ever flown with, those are the kinds of guys that usually make it through.

silver fleet
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Thank you all, I just hope to be successful this time if I get an interview!

Tee1Up
04-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one. 1 is a new hire that was in a previous class that had leave and then return, so I guess they paired someone with him for training.

Correct. 1 started class and had to leave for a family emergency. Another in the same class was asked to leave after some additional background info came back. So the class of 2 is the pilot returning from the family emergency and a replacement for the pilot dismissed for the background check.

ShyGuy
04-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Correct. 1 started class and had to leave for a family emergency. Another in the same class was asked to leave after some additional background info came back. So the class of 2 is the pilot returning from the family emergency and a replacement for the pilot dismissed for the background check.

Yikes! That is most unfortunate regarding the background issue. The guy probably already resigned at the previous job and now is out of work again.

Pogey Bait
04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I heard there are interviews going on this week at 555.

ShyGuy
04-21-2014, 09:38 AM
I heard there are interviews going on this week at 555.

I know a guy interviewing in May. It sounds like we are bulding a good pool.

FlytoSurf
04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
anyone have any crashpads for SFO? Phone #?

NextFlightHome
04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Three interview dates in April, and two more in May scheduled! Pool is getting deep. Any word of more classes past end of April or most likely next fall?

pilot66503
04-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Can anyone tell me what type of questions Virgin asks at Job Fairs or is it more along the lines of a meet and greet? I went to the WAI conferance and that was mostly just talking which was great. I didn't know if going to an actual job fair is any different since I'm going to be going to the one in Vegas soon. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Tee1Up
04-21-2014, 01:53 PM
anyone have any crashpads for SFO? Phone #?

Sending PM...

Gypsy Pilot
04-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I know a guy interviewing in May. It sounds like we are bulding a good pool.

I know a guy who interviewed last May. Has been sitting in the pool since then.

CL65driver
04-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Just got the questionnaire!! :)

Aksea
04-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I got the questionnaire too...

HeadInTheTops
04-21-2014, 07:10 PM
...Another in the same class was asked to leave after some additional background info came back...

Can you provide any more details on that situation? That's my worst nightmare (though I don't have any skeletons). It's nerve-wracking enough, leaping that chasm from one carrier to another, without worrying they'll come in and chuck you onto the street just when you've started to breathe easily!

ShyGuy
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM

He should have been called by now. There were many classes in May-Sept last year and already March-April this year. Unless of course he was in a pool of 50 pilots or so.

Tee1Up
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Can you provide any more details on that situation? That's my worst nightmare (though I don't have any skeletons). It's nerve-wracking enough, leaping that chasm from one carrier to another, without worrying they'll come in and chuck you onto the street just when you've started to breathe easily!

If you're honest up front, you have nothing to worry about after you get hired.

Tee1Up
04-21-2014, 07:41 PM

I would nominate him for the olympic water-treading team if there was one.

Gypsy Pilot
04-22-2014, 02:49 AM
He should have been called by now. There were many classes in May-Sept last year and already March-April this year. Unless of course he was in a pool of 50 pilots or so.

One would think so, yet they don't seem to call in order of date of interview.

GP

BrasiliaDriver
04-22-2014, 03:01 AM
Just got the questionnaire!! :)

I got the questionnaire 3 weeks ago. Still patiently waiting for a call.

lear 31 pilot
04-22-2014, 06:07 AM

Same here, hoping for the best.

n25na
04-22-2014, 07:51 AM

If ya don't mind me asking, Curious if you or Lear 31 pilot attended a job fair or had internal recs to get to the questionnaire phase. Thanks

BrasiliaDriver
04-22-2014, 09:55 AM
If ya don't mind me asking, Curious if you or Lear 31 pilot attended a job fair or had internal recs to get to the questionnaire phase. Thanks

I have an internal recommendation. Was planning on going to the job fair but can't make it to Vegas.

silver fleet
04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
If one has already received the questionnaire, is it still beneficial to attend the job fair in Vegas?? Thanks!

lear 31 pilot
04-22-2014, 03:00 PM
I was at the WAI job fair, one internal rec

n25na
04-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys

FlytoSurf
04-22-2014, 10:10 PM
What's the latest for FO open spots in LAX? Is VX quarterly bid for bases? Start class April 30th. Hoping for LAX sometime. I think I am going to crash pad it for training and take my car up there. Any tips for training would be great. Just 2 of us in class.

MusicPilot
04-23-2014, 12:53 AM
What's the latest for FO open spots in LAX? Is VX quarterly bid for bases? Start class April 30th. Hoping for LAX sometime. I think I am going to crash pad it for training and take my car up there. Any tips for training would be great. Just 2 of us in class.

Sent you a pm

NextFlightHome
04-25-2014, 06:36 AM
So some general questions for anyone that might be answer, thank you in advance!

~How hard is it to find a crashpad for training? What do they run, about $200?
~I'm guessing having car out there is pretty much a necessity (for training at least)
~Is there any time off in training to get home to see your family? I know it's about 6 weeks, do you get CASS access pretty quickly?
~How about non-rev benefits? What are they like? Are ID90s or ZED fares available for other carriers?

M20EPilot
04-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Howdy folks,

Is there anywhere I can see a schedule of pilot career fairs that Virgin will attend? I am aware of the May 1st fair in Vegas. I'm not competitive time-wise just yet but would love to start showing interest.

jaded
04-25-2014, 08:43 AM
So some general questions for anyone that might be answer, thank you in advance!

~I'm guessing having car out there is pretty much a necessity (for training at least)
~Is there any time off in training to get home to see your family? I know it's about 6 weeks, do you get CASS access pretty quickly?
~How about non-rev benefits? What are they like? Are ID90s or ZED fares available for other carriers?

There is a local crash pad where everyone pretty much stays, not sure about the price since Im a local, but $200 sounds about right, maybe someone else can chime in. After indoc and other class room stuff, VX will provide you and your sim partner a rental car for sim training. So if you can survive through indoc, perhaps by staying at the Red Roof Inn and walking to HQ, you'll be fine. The Red Roof Inn provide weekly rates... CASS should be within a few days of class. As far as nonrev benefits, in house is standard but the ZED list leaves you wanting a little more on the domestic side.... but doable.

NextFlightHome
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
There is a local crash pad where everyone pretty much stays, not sure about the price since Im a local, but $200 sounds about right, maybe someone else can chime in. After indoc and other class room stuff, VX will provide you and your sim partner a rental car for sim training. So if you can survive through indoc, perhaps by staying at the Red Roof Inn and walking to HQ, you'll be fine. The Red Roof Inn provide weekly rates... CASS should be within a few days of class. As far as nonrev benefits, in house is standard but the ZED list leaves you wanting a little more on the domestic side.... but doable.

Thank you for the info, appreciate it! I'll start poking around for more info on that crashpad when I get an actual class date. For ZED, is either DAL or UAL included?

Some good news, VX got those DAL gates!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/virgin-says-fly-dallas-love-151646995.html

Bbd2emb
04-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Crashpads go for around $300 a month now. Some crashpads will charge more for guys in training. Car would be nice but it is not needed. Headquarters is about 40 min walk from crashpads and there's bunch of restaurants and grocery stores around. Depends how far do you live, it is possible to get home during Indoc and MFTD. It will be harder to get home during sim.

NextFlightHome
04-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Crashpads go for around $300 a month now. Some crashpads will charge more for guys in training. Car would be nice but it is not needed. Headquarters is about 40 min walk from crashpads and there's bunch of restaurants and grocery stores around. Depends how far do you live, it is possible to get home during Indoc and MFTD. It will be harder to get home during sim.

Ok, sounds like what I've been hearing. Thank you

jaded
04-25-2014, 10:01 AM
I would nominate him for the olympic water-treading team if there was one.

Maybe he's on a floaty drinking a margarita? That's what I'd do... :D

FlytoSurf
04-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Does anyone else have contacts for crash pads for training? I have got two numbers and one is closed down and the other hasn't returned my calls. Need one starting this Tuesday, so I can avoid the hotels. Thanks!

gvinflight
04-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Is the 75-100 pilots by the end of this year still correct? Any additional insight?

Aksea
04-25-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm curious about the 75-100 pilots by years end as well. Planning on attending the job fair in Vegas...

ducdriver
04-25-2014, 04:42 PM
How many people are sitting reserves or how many reserve lines are built in SFO.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Walter White
04-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Any idea how many are in the pool?

Mr. White

jaded
04-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Is the 75-100 pilots by the end of this year still correct? Any additional insight?

I think that number was never official. It's been passed around by someone who knew someone that had "legit" info, so take it for what it's worth.

MusicPilot
04-25-2014, 11:57 PM
I believe it's like the YMCA on a hot Saturday. They use to only take 1-2% of an interview group but recently have been taking almost everyone.

For RSVs, they try for 14% in each base. Anything above 14% becomes LCR (except JFK, which they won't build LCR lines period).

There's about 161 guys in SFO.

Macdacpilot
04-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Does anyone know if re-submitting your resume occasionally when you have updates effectively updates the application with Redwood? As far as I can tell that's the only thing you can really do to keep it fresh and updated.

whatbetterjob
04-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Any idea when the window will open again??

gvinflight
04-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I think that number was never official. It's been passed around by someone who knew someone that had "legit" info, so take it for what it's worth.

Excellent. Thanks.

Any upcoming interview and anyone attending?

FlytoSurf
04-26-2014, 03:43 PM
My friend is interviewing on May 8th. Only date that I know of.

ducdriver
04-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I believe it's like the YMCA on a hot Saturday. They use to only take 1-2% of an interview group but recently have been taking almost everyone.

For RSVs, they try for 14% in each base. Anything above 14% becomes LCR (except JFK, which they won't build LCR lines period).

There's about 161 guys in SFO.

Thanks a bunch MP!!!!

oicur12
04-28-2014, 05:39 AM
Is there anything to gain to from visiting the job fair in L.V if you have already completed the online assessment? I did the assessment several months ago and have not heard anything back.

Regards

MusicPilot
04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Is there anything to gain to from visiting the job fair in L.V if you have already completed the online assessment? I did the assessment several months ago and have not heard anything back.

Regards

If you've heard nothing then your app has not been touched. I'd get a face to your name. If you failed the assessment then nothing is going to help anyway. You'll have to wait a year.

aerosky
04-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I took the assessment a few months ago too. Do you know if there is any way of figuring out whether or not you passed before making the trip out there? Def would be a shame to waste so much money for something you are now not even qualified for. I don't remember seeing any green smiley face or anything like someone told me (after the fact) but I wasn't really looking.

gvinflight
04-28-2014, 10:17 AM
You don't know the score and there is no indication of a score. If you go to a job fair and talk to the HR person there! They will draw up your score there. They still won't tell you how you did unless you did well. Then they will decide to send you the next step, the questionnaire. Good luck!

lear 31 pilot
04-28-2014, 10:49 AM
So if you get the questionnaire, does that mean you are in the running for an interview, I received it about a month ago, filled it out and haven't heard anything.

atr42flyer
04-28-2014, 11:22 AM
So if you get the questionnaire, does that mean you are in the running for an interview, I received it about a month ago, filled it out and haven't heard anything.

yup, sure does might want to get on that one. Unless you don't want to work here.

n25na
04-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Are you notified if you did fail the assessment? Thanks

NextFlightHome
04-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Short or long? Either way they can sit on it or go to the next step. (Remember, long psych/logic test first, next step is short essay HR form, then interview) there's no rhyme or reason to those not in their hiring dept.

Face time at a job fair absolutely helps. This is a big deal to them. They're interested in who you are. Going to a job fair can help your cause. If this is somewhere you really want to work and you haven't gotten a "thanks but no thanks", go to the job fair if you can.

oicur12
04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Going to the job fair in LV on thursday.

Do they want to see original documents such as Education/Passport/ATP etc or does that come later (hopefully).

gvinflight
04-29-2014, 07:21 PM
That would be later. They want to get to know you and if you hang out there with them long enough, they will. Talk with as many of the pilots as you can, and try to meet with the HR reps. Take plenty of resumes and cover letters (they seemed to like getting mine).

303flyboy
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Any class dates / rumors for May and/or June ?

whatbetterjob
05-02-2014, 01:11 PM
someone mentioned in passing end of may…. but you know how those rumors go….

CL65driver
05-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Hiring into a pool for now, according to the VX folks I met at the job fair.

gvinflight
05-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Any idea how many in the pool?

whatbetterjob
05-03-2014, 02:10 PM
should be getting pretty crowded. spanning all the way to august 2013...

gvinflight
05-03-2014, 03:11 PM
That makes for a long swim. But worth it.

Packrat
05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
In the pool that long for VX? Heck, get in the DAL pool.

Gypsy Pilot
05-03-2014, 05:25 PM
In the pool that long for VX? Heck, get in the DAL pool.

Funny thing about those pools...invite only.

ISRGuy
05-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Any of the recent questionnaire submitters get a call yet? Submitted mine about a week ago.

CL65driver
05-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Any of the recent questionnaire submitters get a call yet? Submitted mine about a week ago.

I submitted mine about a week and a half ago, no word back. Good things take time, I guess. Did you make it to the job fair?

ISRGuy
05-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I submitted mine about a week and a half ago, no word back. Good things take time, I guess. Did you make it to the job fair?

Unfortunately unable to attend. Still in Afghanistan until end of May. Would've been nice to get a face to face:) Big turn out?

CL65driver
05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately unable to attend. Still in Afghanistan until end of May. Would've been nice to get a face to face:) Big turn out?

I'd say there were about 250-300 in attendance.

Iflyhigh28
05-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I sent in a questionnaire back on March 24th and I haven't received word yet? Has anyone else summited that long ago and is still waiting or should I just take that as a TBNT sign?

lear 31 pilot
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Turned mine in April 2nd, haven't heard anything.

silver fleet
05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Turned mine in before the 24th and still waiting. The last time for me between questionnaire submittal and interview invite was 8 days, but thats when hiring was chugging along. Im remaining optimistic.

ConnectionPilot
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
What times are people getting interviews with?

NextFlightHome
05-09-2014, 04:00 PM
What times are people getting interviews with?

Was interviewed with ~4900TT

BrasiliaDriver
05-10-2014, 04:02 AM
I sent in a questionnaire back on March 24th and I haven't received word yet? Has anyone else summited that long ago and is still waiting or should I just take that as a TBNT sign?

Sent mine on April 3rd and still haven't heard anything.

Aksea
05-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I submitted my questionnaire in early April as well. Attended the job fair in Vegas and was told interviews to start again in July/August.

BrasiliaDriver
05-11-2014, 03:21 AM
I submitted my questionnaire in early April as well. Attended the job fair in Vegas and was told interviews to start again in July/August.

That is good news. Fingers crossed.

ConnectionPilot
05-11-2014, 08:46 AM
What job fair is VA attending next?

CL65driver
05-11-2014, 09:21 AM
That is good news. Fingers crossed.

Ditto! Hopefully we'll all get a chance to interview soon!! :)

ISRGuy
05-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Definitely good news! Hopefully we'll hear back from VX soon and be part of that Jul/Aug interview pool. Staying positive...

spudskier
05-18-2014, 04:47 PM
VX to start Hawaii service!

Virgin America to start Hawaii service in 2015 - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser (http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20130410_Virgin_America_to_start_Hawaii_service_in _2015.html?id=202432391)

Spooledup
05-18-2014, 05:01 PM
That's article is over a year old and the A320 is not ETOPS capable. If we do it, I think it will be with 321's and they can convert some those 10 A320 orders to 321's.

ackattacker
05-18-2014, 06:41 PM
That's article is over a year old and the A320 is not ETOPS capable. If we do it, I think it will be with 321's and they can convert some those 10 A320 orders to 321's.

Huh? Who told you that? All of the narrow body Airbus aircraft are ETOPS 180 capable. That said, an A320 to Hawaii is really pushing the fuel/payload capabilities of the airframe.

Spooledup
05-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I should have said VX's A320's aren't ETOPS. I don't know much about ETOPS, but I've heard VX's airbus' are missing something in the cargo fire suppression system that would need to be changed.

spudskier
05-19-2014, 01:09 PM
From what I understand, the Sharklet (sp?) equipped 320s coming can do it and ETOPS is a certification, they just need to put some training together and get it and the airplanes approved.

That said, 321s would be easier.

P.S.Spooledup, I love MooseDrool!

ThrustMonkey
05-19-2014, 02:51 PM
I should have said VX's A320's aren't ETOPS. I don't know much about ETOPS, but I've heard VX's airbus' are missing something in the cargo fire suppression system that would need to be changed.

Its much more than just that we are missing for ETOPS cert. Most of it has to do with maintenance procedures, tighter tolerances, etc. If we do go there my guess is it will be with 321's

whatbetterjob
05-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Is there any movement or indication of upcoming classes?

ducdriver
05-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Fall would be my guess, YMMV. If they IPO this year that goes out the window.

ShyGuy
05-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Latest airport bid closed and there are still 2 openings for NYC FOs. The next bidding isn't effective until Oct 1st so there is a chance of having one newhire class of at least two pilots just to fill the NYC base up to the normal 50.

whatbetterjob
05-19-2014, 06:25 PM
i take it attrition slowed down to a halt then….

brianb
05-20-2014, 05:45 AM
i take it attrition slowed down to a halt then….
It has slowed but, it isn't by any means over. Latest gossip grind I heard was interviews in the fall for big time classes starting next June when we take arrival of an aircraft every month for a supposed 5 years straight. Supposed.

Bugaboo
05-20-2014, 06:23 AM
It has slowed but, it isn't by any means over. Latest gossip grind I heard was interviews in the fall for big time classes starting next June when we take arrival of an aircraft every month for a supposed 5 years straight. Supposed.

C'Mon maaaaaann!!

expectholding
05-20-2014, 09:01 AM
My understanding is 10 airplanes in 2015 &16, and then none until 2022, as of now that is. Correct?

brianb
05-20-2014, 09:13 AM
My understanding is 10 airplanes in 2015 &16, and then none until 2022, as of now that is. Correct?
I won't venture a guess, I am just passing along the latest and greatest from a man in the know. I know our supposed sweet spot is around 100-120 airframes. As always, use at your own risk.

daldude
05-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Deleted Deleted

ShyGuy
05-20-2014, 01:41 PM

As of right now:

5 A320 2015
5 A320 2016

10 A320/NEO 2020
10 A320/NEO 2021
10 A320/NEO 2022

Highly doubt that. 10-12 airplanes per year is too aggressive for the kind of flying we do. It was done for a while but financially didn't work out too well. From what I've heard in RGS, the 5 each year in 2015 and '16 is the plan. It was mentioned that the 30 orders in 2020-2022 was really a placeholder with Airbus and that VX could shift those up as necessary. That the likely case would be 5 each year consistently from 2017-2022 which equals the same 30 planes. That kind of delivery spread is more realistic.

Until something more official is announced the current fleet still stands at 53 airplanes with only 40 more orders for an end state of 93 airplanes.

FlytoSurf
05-20-2014, 10:56 PM
anyone have contacts for a virgin jfk crashpad? need one july 1

brianb
05-21-2014, 06:10 AM
As of right now:

5 A320 2015
5 A320 2016

10 A320/NEO 2020
10 A320/NEO 2021
10 A320/NEO 2022

Highly doubt that. 10-12 airplanes per year is too aggressive for the kind of flying we do. It was done for a while but financially didn't work out too well. From what I've heard in RGS, the 5 each year in 2015 and '16 is the plan. It was mentioned that the 30 orders in 2020-2022 was really a placeholder with Airbus and that VX could shift those up as necessary. That the likely case would be 5 each year consistently from 2017-2022 which equals the same 30 planes. That kind of delivery spread is more realistic.

Until something more official is announced the current fleet still stands at 53 airplanes with only 40 more orders for an end state of 93 airplanes.
You could be right, I am not pushing one opinion over another but consider this, 120 airframes has always been the number that the higher ups have bandied about. Starting June 2015 at 1 airframe per month puts us at 59 years end. Starting January of 2016 at 1 airframe per month for 5 years puts us at 119 airplanes ending year 2020. I believe the training department would have their hands full but it is more realistic at 1 per month if they can keep a reasonable amount of folks in the pool. Take it for what it's worth.

XDriverX
05-21-2014, 07:28 AM
There is no way we will get 1 per month for 5 years. That has a snowballs chance of happening. Heck, 5 planes a year sounds silly due to the fact we have no place to fly them! Are we going to open up PHL again, or SJC, or? Or? I don't think the powers in HQ have a clue what the new planes will fly, so don't knock yourself for being confused. Everybody is unfortunately.
Or best hope is a merger plain and simple. With 50 more AC we would be picking fights with some major operations. Last time I looked DL and AA had more $ to bleed than our corner bank account. I think Virgin Blue Pacific has a nice ring to it...

ShyGuy
05-21-2014, 08:19 AM
You could be right, I am not pushing one opinion over another but consider this, 120 airframes has always been the number that the higher ups have bandied about. Starting June 2015 at 1 airframe per month puts us at 59 years end. Starting January of 2016 at 1 airframe per month for 5 years puts us at 119 airplanes ending year 2020. I believe the training department would have their hands full but it is more realistic at 1 per month if they can keep a reasonable amount of folks in the pool. Take it for what it's worth.

I've never heard 120. This is the first I've heard of it. That many airplanes in that timeframe are far too many for what VX can do. Where do you think they'll go with all that especially considering most new markets take 12-18 months to mature?

ThrustMonkey
05-21-2014, 08:44 AM
There is no way we will get 1 per month for 5 years. That has a snowballs chance of happening. Heck, 5 planes a year sounds silly due to the fact we have no place to fly them! Are we going to open up PHL again, or SJC, or? Or? I don't think the powers in HQ have a clue what the new planes will fly, so don't knock yourself for being confused. Everybody is unfortunately.
Or best hope is a merger plain and simple. With 50 more AC we would be picking fights with some major operations. Last time I looked DL and AA had more $ to bleed than our corner bank account. I think Virgin Blue Pacific has a nice ring to it...

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

brianb
05-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger fellas. Your guess is as good as mine as to what the company will or will not do in the next five years and I was just passing along some info that I personally received from someone a hell of a lot smarter then me. I have heard 120 airframes since I started at this place and in the end, it makes sense.

MusicPilot
05-21-2014, 05:35 PM
40 in the pool and no more for the rest of the year. I believe they're gonna close the app window, if they already haven't. I believe this will change through the summer.

flyinpigg
05-21-2014, 06:36 PM

I keep hearing pilots say they think we will be mereged? Why? And how is that good for us pilots? We will get f'd in any mereger IMO.

ShyGuy
05-21-2014, 06:43 PM
I keep hearing pilots say they think we will be mereged? Why? And how is that good for us pilots? We will get f'd in any mereger IMO.

IMO because 'Virgin America' by itself will probably not be around in the long term whereas Delta, United, and American will be. You are right we would get screwed in any merger but at least long-term prospects would be secured. I would take a staple to AA, UA, or DL today. Your mileage may vary.

flyinpigg
05-21-2014, 06:55 PM
IMO because 'Virgin America' by itself will probably not be around in the long term whereas Delta, United, and American will be. You are right we would get screwed in any merger but at least long-term prospects would be secured. I would take a staple to AA, UA, or DL today. Your mileage may vary.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Why would Branson sell? Maybe if we still a financial loser? But other than tha why? I see us on a similar path as JetBlue, but who really knows.

ShyGuy
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Why would Branson sell? Maybe if we still a financial loser? But other than tha why? I see us on a similar path as JetBlue, but who really knows.

It may not be up to him under the current ownership American majority and post IPO. As for JetBlue, I also see them merging in the future. I think VX and JetBlue merging would be a good mix to better compete with the three larger legacies.

Flyby1206
05-22-2014, 01:44 AM

As ShyGuy says below, Branson is barely more than a media spokesperson with a minority stake in the company. Additionally, he is getting old and I believe he is getting out of the global airline domination game. Virgin Atlantic is his baby, and he is teaming up with Delta for a North American partner.

It may not be up to him under the current ownership American majority and post IPO. As for JetBlue, I also see them merging in the future. I think VX and JetBlue merging would be a good mix to better compete with the three larger legacies.

^^^^This

VX is heading down a similar path to jetblue, and those paths will combine eventually. Neither of us are strong enough to be serious competitors on our own, but a combination would at least be a good starting point.

I wish nothing but the best for the VX pilot group, good luck whatever the future holds.

MusicPilot
05-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Delta will buy a chunk, or even all the available shares, during VX's IPO.

NextFlightHome
05-22-2014, 04:23 AM
VirginAmerica + Hawaiian. I'll just leave that there, think about it.

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 06:01 AM
VirginAmerica + Hawaiian. I'll just leave that there, think about it.

? Nothing complements the route network. Hawaiian already does California, Washington, Oregon and New York to Hawaii. I highly doubt they are wanting feed from Austin, Dallas, or Chicago.

tsquare
05-22-2014, 06:27 AM
Delta will buy a chunk, or even all the available shares, during VX's IPO.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

NextFlightHome
05-22-2014, 06:46 AM
? Nothing complements the route network. Hawaiian already does California, Washington, Oregon and New York to Hawaii. I highly doubt they are wanting feed from Austin, Dallas, or Chicago.

Why wouldn't Hawaiian want feed from those cities!? VX has the narrow bodies to get people to the west coast, Hawaiian has the wide bodies to get people to Hawaii and Asia.

VX starts by getting people to the west coast from the lower 48, Hawaiian makes the jump.

Plus VX has been retweeting stuff from Hawaiian, it's a bit odd for one airline to retweet another. Just sayin

Herman
05-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Why wouldn't Hawaiian want feed from those cities!? VX has the narrow bodies to get people to the west coast, Hawaiian has the wide bodies to get people to Hawaii and Asia.

VX starts by getting people to the west coast from the lower 48, Hawaiian makes the jump.

Plus VX has been retweeting stuff from Hawaiian, it's a bit odd for one airline to retweet another. Just sayin

Does anyone know if VX requires a drug test?

ThrustMonkey
05-22-2014, 07:30 AM

Branson may have no choice after IPO and this little private company is now public and ripe for a takeover.

NextFlightHome
05-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Does anyone know if VX requires a drug test?

Really? is it such a crazy idea? (partially sarcastic) but seriously, both are always in the top 5 in customer service, both could use each other's lift, it would compliment nicely

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Again, no it wouldn't. Hawaiian already flies to SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, and SEA so all of the west coast flights are taken care of. They do JFK as well so NYC is covered. That leaves only ORD, DFW, AUS, BOS, IAD, and Florida. 5 or 6 uncovered markets does not mean Hawaiian needs to merge with VX. The problem with your assumption of VX getting people to the west coast is that we literally only do it from like 7 cities that are unserved by Hawaiian (ORD, DFW, AUS, MCO, FLL, IAD, and BOS). Everything else is already covered by Hawaiian. I'd say there's a snowball chance in hell we'll merge with Hawaiian. Not for 7 additional cities because Hawaiian can easily just codeshare to fill those connections.

NextFlightHome
05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Not for 7 additional cities because Hawaiian can easily just codeshare to fill those connections.

Could codeshare... my guess is that they have a higher standard of service than most legacy carriers. My thought is not the attraction of routes (which the slots in LGA, DCA, DAL, and ORD certainly sweeten the pot) but the meshing of that level of service.

I understand where you're coming from, but also look at the future of VX and what it has to offer... slots, aircraft, high service ratings. Hawaiian and VX would get along together really well. I don't have a dog in this race quite yet so I'm not offering up this idea as wishful thinking. I'm just seeing a lot of puzzle pieces from different boxes that fit together.

sidestep
05-22-2014, 10:47 AM
HA also already codeshares with JB for most of the cities you mention above.

NextFlightHome
05-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Did not know that...

Hey, so speaking of drug tests, any word on more class dates, or not until the fall?

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Exactly. There's no good reason for Hawaiian to want to merge with VX. A better case could be made for JetBlue and VX. Strong presence on the west coast versus east coast, similar fleet type, same focus on great product/service, and lets not forget JetBlue was suppose to be the original Virgin America.

My prediction for the next 5-12 years would be Virgin + JetBlue, Hawaiian + Alaska, and Frontier + Spirit. IMO the DOJ won't be letting the 3 legacy airlines buy/merge anymore.

flyinpigg
05-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Got it Brason is just a shill and we are controlled by some shadowy Delta/American group? Once again I don't buy it. I believe we are controlled by the Virgin Group. We wil only be bought or sold based on their decisions. If the IPO only has 49% or less of the shares for sale then nobody can buy a controlling share. If they want to buy the other shares then I think they will get very expensive.

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Got it Brason is just a shill and we are controlled by some shadowy Delta/American group? Once again I don't buy it. I believe we are controlled by the Virgin Group. We wil only be bought or sold based on their decisions. If the IPO only has 49% or less of the shares for sale then nobody can buy a controlling share. If they want to buy the other shares then I think they will get very expensive.

Virgin America | Press Releases (http://www.virginamerica.com/press-release/2010/cleared-for-takeoff-in-2010.html)

"U.S. law requires that domestic airlines remain under the control of U.S. citizens, with no more than 25% of the voting stock being held by foreign citizens."

If you really believe we are controlled by the Virgin group, then don't you think VX is illegal?

flyinpigg
05-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Virgin America | Press Releases (http://www.virginamerica.com/press-release/2010/cleared-for-takeoff-in-2010.html)

"U.S. law requires that domestic airlines remain under the control of U.S. citizens, with no more than 25% of the voting stock being held by foreign citizens."

If you really believe we are controlled by the Virgin group, then don't you think VX is illegal?

Well I know how the law works! Then there is how business works. I will just leave it at that.

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Well I know how the law works! Then there is how business works. I will just leave it at that.

True, and surely the UK owners have a say and run things. But the actual operation, eg, DAL gates, LGA/DCA slots, going into ANC, all of those are made on the US-level. Once the company IPOs, if down the road the shareholders and the Capitol group (Cyrus) think they can get a better return on their investment by merging with someone like JetBlue, then the wheels will be set in motion with those in the UK unable to stop it.

Look at the long term picture. 53 airplanes going to 93 by 2022. That is peanut size compared to Alaska, JetBlue, and Spirit by then, let alone the three legacies. Nor is the US market supportive of adding another 250+ airplane airline. The market is in a balance and there isn't room for another behemoth airline. So in the long term, VX can't continue as it is today or even its size in 2022. It's gonna have to merge to survive.

gloopy
05-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Look at the long term picture. 53 airplanes going to 93 by 2022. That is peanut size compared to Alaska, JetBlue, and Spirit by then, let alone the three legacies.

Its still 40 planes worth of (and likely more, force multiplied by a bunch of dual subsidized foreign code shares) of pure capacity dumping, fare trashing revenue shredders.

VX has the attention of the major players. They have a lot on their plate but will be addressing the endless upstart model in general soon enough.

Bluedriver
05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Its still 40 planes worth of (and likely more, force multiplied by a bunch of dual subsidized foreign code shares) of pure capacity dumping, fare trashing revenue shredders.

VX has the attention of the major players. They have a lot on their plate but will be addressing the endless upstart model in general soon enough.

Um... Ok....

ShyGuy
05-22-2014, 07:03 PM

I'm surprised you don't mention Spirit at all. Virgin's current 53 planes has an end state of 93 by end of 2022. Spirit on the other hand is tripling its fleet by the end of 2022, going from about 55 now to 150ish. No longer is Spirit just doing the outside airports (Latrobe and not PIT for example). Now Spirit is invading major legacy hubs like DFW. Check out Dallas, Spirit has made a major base there and has tons of flights competing with AA. Even moreso than VX, Spirit is in your own words, "pure capacity dumping."

jaded
05-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised you don't mention Spirit at all. Virgin's current 53 planes has an end state of 93 by end of 2022. Spirit on the other hand is tripling its fleet by the end of 2022, going from about 55 now to 150ish. No longer is Spirit just doing the outside airports (Latrobe and not PIT for example). Now Spirit is invading major legacy hubs like DFW. Check out Dallas, Spirit has made a major base there and has tons of flights competing with AA. Even moreso than VX, Spirit is in your own words, "pure capacity dumping."

We all know gloopy has a hard on for VX...

flyinpigg
05-22-2014, 09:28 PM

(dual subsidized foreign code shares)? What the hell is that??

brianb
05-23-2014, 05:40 AM
It's Fish Freighter in disguise, or is he? 120 airframes will happen, I will put one regulation size keg of beer on that statement if it doesn't happen by year end 2020.:eek:

ShyGuy
05-23-2014, 06:11 AM
It's Fish Freighter in disguise, or is he? 120 airframes will happen, I will put one regulation size keg of beer on that statement if it doesn't happen by year end 2020.:eek:

You are saying 67 more aircraft in 6 years. That's nearly 1 airplane per month for 6 years nonstop. No freakin way LOL. I still ask the more obvious where are you gonna put 'em? Ok, we could restart ANC, PSP, PHL, SJC, SNA, YYZ, increase PDX, and add new Hawaii service but all that still equates to about 10 airplanes worth of flying. They are adamant against up/down east coast flying and we are only doing DAL because of the exclusiveness of it and DCA + LGA. These kinds of smart chess moves are done since there are no more divestures. Invade SFO/LAX to ATL? IAH? Delta would kick us out of ATL faster than they kicked JetBlue out from ATL-LGB.

A quick look at Spirit's route map shows exactly where their new planes are going. If something doesn't work for them, they'll pull out in 3 months or even less (DFW-BOS for example). If you tell me Spirit is getting 67 airplanes in 6 years I would say yes that makes sense and that they have a market. But VX is a business oriented market airline and that means mostly transcons plus the business-rich communities of NY, DC, and Dallas. That is it. Where ya gonna go with 67 new planes?

atooraya
05-23-2014, 06:17 AM
You are saying 67 more aircraft in 6 years. That's nearly 1 airplane per month for 6 years nonstop. No freakin way LOL. I still ask the more obvious where are you gonna put 'em? Ok, we could restart ANC, PSP, PHL, SJC, SNA, YYZ, increase PDX, and add new Hawaii service but all that still equates to about 10 airplanes worth of flying. They are adamant against up/down east coast flying and we are only doing DAL because of the exclusiveness of it and DCA + LGA. These kinds of smart chess moves are done since there are no more divestures. Invade SFO/LAX to ATL? IAH? Delta would kick us out of ATL faster than they kicked JetBlue out from ATL-LGB.

A quick look at Spirit's route map shows exactly where their new planes are going. If something doesn't work for them, they'll pull out in 3 months or even less (DFW-BOS for example). If you tell me Spirit is getting 67 airplanes in 6 years I would say yes that makes sense and that they have a market. But VX is a business oriented market airline and that means mostly transcons plus the business-rich communities of NY, DC, and Dallas. That is it. Where ya gonna go with 67 new planes?
Increase frequencies of transcons, then start service to Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Sacramento. Maybe start offering more transcons out of San Jose and San Diego.

jaded
05-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Increase frequencies of transcons, then start service to Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Sacramento. Maybe start offering more transcons out of San Jose and San Diego.

Maybe I'm partial to SJC because I live here, but I think transcons out of SJC would have faired a lot better than LAX. It would've been a nice option for east coast pax during GDPs in SFO.

brianb
05-23-2014, 10:13 AM
This one up here^^^^^^^^^!! I stand by my outlandish and impossible decree.

Tee1Up
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
anyone have contacts for a virgin jfk crashpad? need one july 1

Dude! That sucks. I haven't seen you in awhile and hadn't realized you got sent out there. Sorry to hear that.

NextFlightHome
05-23-2014, 11:39 AM

THIS, and add CMH in the mix. Also, they want/need to start doing more point to point instead of everything going to/from SFO/LAX. (AUS-CMH/ORD, ORD-SLC/CLT, etc...) They definitely need a presence in ATL too. ORD-FLL FLL/MCO-AUS?

The demand for the service they provide is there. People love flying on VX where it's available. VX isn't going to take over any markets. Like a W hotel or Aloft; they're not going to blow out the other hotels, but people WILL go out of their way to stay there.

ThrustMonkey
05-23-2014, 03:15 PM

DONE! Since you have not specified what type of beer, I will take said regulation sized keg of Lagunitas delivered to me in the East Bay. I'll even let you have first pour! :)

ShyGuy
05-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Spirit currently has 57 planes and projected to be 129 by year end 2020. I think you're confusing NK for VX.

gloopy
05-23-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm surprised you don't mention Spirit at all.

While they are starting to grow well outside of the shadows, they still do an awful lot of weird niche flying that the majors don't find threatening from a revenue standpoint. You are right though, they are doing more and I would be suprised if it didn't warrant a more broad response in due time.

VX OTOH is flat out prime revenue trashing capacity dumpers and everyone knows when they get big enough they will hang a shingle out and partner with every dual subsidized foreign carrier known to man.

For the person who asked, the 3 big Middle East emirati airlines are prime examples. Generous support from their home governments (Ethiad just got caught enjoying 3Billion in free government loans), plus guaranteed super low cost loans subsidized by Boeing that US airlines aren't legally allowed to get. Ditto for Airbus. The advantage is steep there as well, averaging about 5 million per plane per year.

Plus they dump the overwhelming vast majority of their regional defense onto us so we can play the role of their unpaid Hessian mercenaries and as an added bonus we borrow from them to pay for it. They are able to be big time Airline Empire ballers because they are flush with our petro dollars due to our self crippling energy policies with the added bonus of basically zero labor/employment law, EoE concerns or just about anything else.

I don't believe for a second VX will hit 100 planes or whatever and just stagnate and fly around with rising cost structures and no foreign feed. Their plan is endless growth trying to become the next SWA and anything less is just what they think the market wants to hear from them today. They are preparing for what they hope is a huge pump and dump IPO that will fuel the next step of their expansion. You don't give away massive amounts of control of your company by going public just to get the scratch for another 40 planes just to cap it there and stagnate.

jaded
05-23-2014, 09:50 PM
While they are starting to grow well outside of the shadows, they still do an awful lot of weird niche flying that the majors don't find threatening from a revenue standpoint. You are right though, they are doing more and I would be suprised if it didn't warrant a more broad response in due time.

VX OTOH is flat out prime revenue trashing capacity dumpers and everyone knows when they get big enough they will hang a shingle out and partner with every dual subsidized foreign carrier known to man.

For the person who asked, the 3 big Middle East emirati airlines are prime examples. Generous support from their home governments (Ethiad just got caught enjoying 3Billion in free government loans), plus guaranteed super low cost loans subsidized by Boeing that US airlines aren't legally allowed to get. Ditto for Airbus. The advantage is steep there as well, averaging about 5 million per plane per year.

Plus they dump the overwhelming vast majority of their regional defense onto us so we can play the role of their unpaid Hessian mercenaries and as an added bonus we borrow from them to pay for it. They are able to be big time Airline Empire ballers because they are flush with our petro dollars due to our self crippling energy policies with the added bonus of basically zero labor/employment law, EoE concerns or just about anything else.

I don't believe for a second VX will hit 100 planes or whatever and just stagnate and fly around with rising cost structures and no foreign feed. Their plan is endless growth trying to become the next SWA and anything less is just what they think the market wants to hear from them today. They are preparing for what they hope is a huge pump and dump IPO that will fuel the next step of their expansion. You don't give away massive amounts of control of your company by going public just to get the scratch for another 40 planes just to cap it there and stagnate.

For once I agree with you on something. This wouldn't send a good message to investors. Unless of course Shy is on to something with the future merge theory.

brianb
05-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Yes, gloooooopy rolled a strike on that one. Virgin can't sit around playing with the spitting snake. We are already behind on projected fleet size and after the IPO, it will/should be a big time growth phase.

brianb
05-24-2014, 05:48 AM
DONE! Since you have not specified what type of beer, I will take said regulation sized keg of Lagunitas delivered to me in the East Bay. I'll even let you have first pour! :)
East Bay heh? I can make that work. We are gonna have to invite Gloopy along to barbeque up some fixings.:p

gloopy
05-24-2014, 08:11 AM
East Bay heh? I can make that work. We are gonna have to invite Gloopy along to barbeque up some fixings.:p

Mmmmmm fixuns!

gvinflight
05-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Just commuting out of MCI, all I hear is how passengers are frustrated and irritated having to fly United and American. The people of Kansas City need an airline they find worthy of flying on, even if it meana $40 more per ticket. Ive heard countless passengers talk about hpw great it would be to have Virgin, and evwn more folks talk about how dismayed they are that Spirit is now in the the mix here. I for one would love to see Virgin make their presence known at home.

falcon2000aj
05-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Just commuting out of MCI, all I hear is how passengers are frustrated and irritated having to fly United and American. The people of Kansas City need an airline they find worthy of flying on, even if it meana $40 more per ticket. Ive heard countless passengers talk about hpw great it would be to have Virgin, and evwn more folks talk about how dismayed they are that Spirit is now in the the mix here. I for one would love to see Virgin make their presence known at home.

Yeah, it will totally suck when avg fares drop in MCI cause lowly ole Spirit has entered the mix.. What a bummer!

gloopy
05-27-2014, 06:09 PM

lolwut?

DL and SW fly there too don't they? And how exactly is service there any different from the rest of the country? It sounds like some airport board "if we subsidize them they will come" sales pitch. Oh please won't someone bring funky phresh hip cool humanity back to the friendly skies of air travel!" :rolleyes:

brianb
05-27-2014, 06:14 PM
lolwut?

DL and SW fly there too don't they? And how exactly is service there any different from the rest of the country? It sounds like some airport board "if we subsidize them they will come" sales pitch. Oh please won't someone bring funky phresh hip cool humanity back to the friendly skies of air travel!" :rolleyes:
We already are Gloopster. Don't hate us cause you ain't us.:cool:

gvinflight
05-27-2014, 06:16 PM
DL and SWA do fly out of here. DL to MSP and ATL and SWA to LAX, LAS, FLL, TPA and several others. But while on the economy parking shuttle, I just hear what I hear. There needs to be a carrier with quality service to major hubs like SFO, LAX, MIA, JFK/LGA and other business hubs. Just an observation. It would be nice.

gvinflight
06-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Not everyone all at once...what news of VX?

ShyGuy
06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Nothing new / it's been strangely quiet.

Flyby1206
06-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I've heard VX is looking to sell the LGA slots they just won. Complete BS?

ShyGuy
06-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Two pairs are unused and I believe they are going to be leased out until we get more planes in order to use them. The other four pairs are LGA-DAL with four roundtrip daily flights.

putzin
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Nothing new / it's been strangely quiet.

It's always "strangely quiet" until something changes. ;)

smooth50
06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Any word on possible class dates?

tsquare
06-19-2014, 10:07 AM

I'm sure the powers that be will make sure SWA gets 'em. After all they are THE low fare airline.:rolleyes:

jaded
06-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Any word on possible class dates?

Rumors are for Sept. new hires.

gvinflight
06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Poolies I'm sure...No? How many are there? About 30?

smooth50
06-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Excellent news. Or rumors.. Either way great to hear

AJ Crowley
06-24-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm sure the powers that be will make sure SWA gets 'em. After all they are THE low fare airline.:rolleyes:

Powers that be said in RGS we are not leasing them out. There is not a good option for a short term lease of the slots, and we will use them when we get more aircraft.

MusicPilot
07-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Class of 6 to start in Sept. I'm pretty sure more to follow.

Gypsy Pilot
07-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Music, do you know how many poolies there are at this point?

MusicPilot
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Music, do you know how many poolies there are at this point?

No clue. At a guess, 20-30. Some may have already gone elsewhere. Apparently enough to fill a few classes. No plans to do interviews and I believe they have a pool for that group too.

Gypsy Pilot
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info Music. Good to hear that there's possible movement.

GP

teamflyer
07-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Interested if VA would hire from part 135? would 2500tt 1000tpic on kings and 1900's be eligible? say for fo qualification. what does virgin hire from?

thanks

ShyGuy
07-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Interested if VA would hire from part 135? would 2500tt 1000tpic on kings and 1900's be eligible? say for fo qualification. what does virgin hire from?

thanks

I don't see why not? The application window isn't open at the moment but when it does then try.

FlytoSurf
07-04-2014, 10:52 AM

thanks

Yes VX would hire from 135 and turboprop. Get your stuff in when it opens.

skydisaster
07-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Any ideas when the window will reopen?

NextFlightHome
07-13-2014, 05:35 AM
My guess would be Sept/Oct. There a pool of 30+, some have been swimming since early this spring. Classes are rumored to begin early September and with deliveries starting next spring and legacy airlines hiring, they will need pilots.

Gypsy Pilot
07-13-2014, 06:30 AM
My guess would be Sept/Oct. There a pool of 30+, some have been swimming since early this spring. Classes are rumored to begin early September and with deliveries starting next spring and legacy airlines hiring, they will need pilots.

Nope. Some have been swimming since last summer.

OCCP
07-13-2014, 06:47 AM
I think we've only lost about 12 or 13 guys to attrition so far this year. I was expecting it to be more.

NextFlightHome
07-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Nope. Some have been swimming since last summer.

Ok, pardon. But the rest should be a good educated guess as to app windows and classes.

FlytoSurf
07-13-2014, 02:09 PM
2 of my buddies were in the pool and accepted classes elsewhere. My guess is this could keep happening. So who knows how many in the pool that haven't gone elsewhere already.

exdashtrash
07-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Question for anyone flying for VA...

Looking for the head of pilot recruitment or the person in HR to whom I can address my cover letter. I dislike putting "To Whom is may concern". If you don't wish to post, please PM me.

Please and thank you!

Sailor
07-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Virgin America files for IPO http://usat.ly/1rKtiSR via @USATODAY

Good luck guys.

Bugaboo
07-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Question for anyone flying for VA...

Looking for the head of pilot recruitment or the person in HR to whom I can address my cover letter. I dislike putting "To Whom is may concern". If you don't wish to post, please PM me.

Please and thank you!

Just use "Virgin America Pilot Recruitment Team"

full of luv
07-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Virgin America files for IPO Virgin America files for IPO (http://usat.ly/1rKtiSR) via @USATODAY

Good luck guys.

Do the pilots get a cut of the IPO?

labbats
07-29-2014, 03:29 PM
I think we've only lost about 12 or 13 guys to attrition so far this year. I was expecting it to be more.

Majority of hiring at the majors is flowthru and the rest is military... leaving a small percentage of civilian street hires.

NEDude
07-29-2014, 06:08 PM

I was number 13 on the year when I left in early spring. I know at least one person recently left for Delta. But I find it hard to believe only one person has left in the last four months.

ShyGuy
07-29-2014, 08:04 PM
I was number 13 on the year when I left in early spring. I know at least one person recently left for Delta. But I find it hard to believe only one person has left in the last four months.

Since you left, I can think of 2 FOs who went to US Airways and this recent Delta one you mentioned. Attrition is still limited. The one airline no one has yet gone to is AA (excluding US Airways). AA hiring has been separate and they've taken a bunch of JetBlue and Spirit Airbus pilots, but none from Virgin.

NotTellin
07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Do the pilots get a cut of the IPO?

A very small piece. Enough to buy a boat. So long as your boat comes with oars.

biigD
07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

I think people forget how early it still is in the legacy hiring process. At my former national carrier, there are tons of guys with apps in elsewhere, but only a handful are getting calls right now. And then you have all the guys that say they want out ASAP, but only put in a half-assed effort: "Oh yeah, I'll be gone as soon as I can - just gotta get the last eight years of my logbook in order." or "Damn right I'm leaving, but there's no friggin' way I'm gonna spend money to attend some stupid job fair."

I bet the attrition will pick up, but it's still early.

biigD
07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
On that note, I've been doing some jumpseating on you guys lately (as always, thanks!), and it seems like the pilots I've been running into are happy and staying put. Hell, with the FAs I've been seeing, I'd have a hard time leaving too!

NEDude
07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
A very small piece. Enough to buy a boat. So long as your boat comes with oars.

That is one of the problems with the IPO, nobody really knows for sure because the company and BOD have been intentionally vague about what the employees might get. Some guys have speculated the senior pilots will get in excess of $50,000 grand, while others think at most the senior guys may get very low four figures, perhaps $1,000 to $2,000, with the more junior pilots getting a few hundred dollars at best. But again, unless something has changed in the last few months, during my nearly five years there management was always very vague about IPO windfall and I think it was intentional.

gloopy
07-30-2014, 06:55 PM
"Damn right I'm leaving, but there's no friggin' way I'm gonna spend money to attend some stupid job fair."

You are so right about that mentality. I've never understood it, but its a good thing its there because it gives anyone less lazy a huge leg up.

ATLRJDrvr
07-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Does anybody have any advice on listing for the jumpseat? Is there a number I need to call or can I just list at the counter?

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on flying out to San Francisco to visit a friend on Thursday the 7th. From what I've been reading in the gouge it seems that a common question is "have you ever flown on us" and being based in ATL I obviously have not. So I figured I should try and make an effort. Are there routes that are more empty than others? I was thinking about flying to ORD and then to SFO but if anybody has any other suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks in advance!

biigD
07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Does anybody have any advice on listing for the jumpseat? Is there a number I need to call or can I just list at the counter?

List at the gate. I've never had a bad experience - they're definitely good at taking care of jumpseaters.

ATLRJDrvr
07-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Thanks BiigD for the info. I really appreciate it!

ShyGuy
07-31-2014, 03:50 PM

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on flying out to San Francisco to visit a friend on Thursday the 7th. From what I've been reading in the gouge it seems that a common question is "have you ever flown on us" and being based in ATL I obviously have not. So I figured I should try and make an effort. Are there routes that are more empty than others? I was thinking about flying to ORD and then to SFO but if anybody has any other suggestions I'm open to them.

Thanks in advance!

Just show up at the gate and request for jumpseat and you'll be issued a jumpseat form. Connect through whatever city makes it easier for you. ORD only has a couple flights whereas going through LAX or LAS on your way up to San Fran ensures multiple flights throughout the day on VX.

ATLRJDrvr
08-01-2014, 04:50 AM
Just show up at the gate and request for jumpseat and you'll be issued a jumpseat form. Connect through whatever city makes it easier for you. ORD only has a couple flights whereas going through LAX or LAS on your way up to San Fran ensures multiple flights throughout the day on VX.

That's a very good point. Out of ORD I would only be able to make 2 flights. I will try out of LAX. Thanks for bringing that up.

teamflyer
08-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Thank you curtismarker, VX is one of the airlines I really look foreword to.. (y). I'm currently working towards my mpic time to 1000tpic

MusicPilot
08-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Swimmer update: No classes now until Jan. Not sure why they canceled the Sept. Classes because we definitely need more pilots.

Gypsy Pilot
08-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Swimmer update: No classes now until Jan. Not sure why they canceled the Sept. Classes because we definitely need more pilots.

Thx Music. Lousy news for those treading water.

GP

NextFlightHome
08-05-2014, 03:45 AM

Well that's awful news! Is this because of the IPO?

MusicPilot
08-05-2014, 05:40 AM
No one knows. Rumors are flying around and nothing concrete is landing. I do know we are short staffed and they're running the ops like a regional. Hang in there!

FlytoSurf
08-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Musicpilot is right. As the most junior pilot i was looking forward to the sept class. I heard April class, but things can change often. We need pilots, hopefully a fall class does happen.

av8trup2late
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
Well the latest and greatest threads of other airlines stay here. Who goes to hiring news? Not to mention that's a hidden forum that can't be accessed unless you sign in. It's private.

A small class is 4 pilots. Regular classes are 8-10 pilots. Bases are LAX and SFO, with JFK being a very small pseudo base that is super-senior. Interviews and hiring continues, so apply if interested!

Mans..., what do you care? You already work there. Got a lot of time on your hands?

Move thread to HIRING NEWS!

XDriverX
08-06-2014, 12:32 AM

Where or what dept told you Sept classes were cancelled? That's not what the CP in LAX and SFO have been saying this week. From all the critical short emails lately, cancelling classes is just plain retarded. If in fact classes have been postponed, it just shows how dumb our management is. Frustration and stagnant aircraft orders make for skepticism here in the frontline pilot ranks. Unreal, yet status quo.:confused:

Pogey Bait
08-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Where or what dept told you Sept classes were cancelled? That's not what the CP in LAX and SFO have been saying this week. From all the critical short emails lately, cancelling classes is just plain retarded. If in fact classes have been postponed, it just shows how dumb our management is. Frustration and stagnant aircraft orders make for skepticism here in the frontline pilot ranks. Unreal, yet status quo.:confused:

God forbid if we could ever trip trade again.

sulkair
08-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Mans..., what do you care? You already work there. Got a lot of time on your hands?

Move thread to HIRING NEWS!

Because if the guys that already work at VA don't contribute to this thread, you get no valuable information.:rolleyes:

FlytoSurf
08-06-2014, 08:45 AM
i heard this last week from crew planning department as well. No Sept class. hope it isn't true, but pretty sure it is.

MusicPilot
08-06-2014, 12:35 PM

I have reliable sources. Even the JFK CP was unaware as of Monday. Word is Jan before anything happens. RSV coverage for sept should be 25-30%. Management is good about robbing Peter to pay Paul and as long as guys are picking the uncovered flying at 1.50 and no cancelations then the upper brass feels we don't need to pay for new pilots. Just my .02.

- things could do a total 180 tomorrow, so you never know what to expect or believe.

NEDude
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Just heard from an acquaintance who is on captain reserve (and has been for nearly three years now) that on the captain side there will be close to 40% reserves in September. He is looking to get out.

Pogey Bait
08-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Just heard from an acquaintance who is on captain reserve (and has been for nearly three years now) that on the captain side there will be close to 40% reserves in September. He is looking to get out.

All bases at 40%?

Bugaboo
08-06-2014, 04:55 PM

I know airlines reduce flying for the fall. I would think VA decreased around 10-12% per base, not near enough to get reserves at 40%. This is an over exaggeration.

yimke
08-06-2014, 04:58 PM
All bases at 40%?

That is absurd. Unless VX model for staffing is vastly different from most airlines, 40% is actually MORE expensive. VX inefficiency does not help the numbers for investors.

FlytoSurf
08-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes heard we are going from 10-14%, to 25-30% reserve staffing. don't get it. [/I]

ShyGuy
08-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Yes heard we are going from 10-14%, to 25-30% reserve staffing. don't get it. [/I]

IIRC we were at 26-27% reserves last year for a month or two when the flying pulled down for the Fall/Winter.

colinflyin
08-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Any idea when the hiring window will open? Thx.

NextFlightHome
08-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Any idea when the hiring window will open? Thx.

My guess, with the most recent rumors on here, is next spring (2015). They do have a pool which had at least 30 but has most likely gotten smaller with other airlines hiring. If there are no classes until january, they have a pool for at least the first 3-4 classes.

Bugaboo
08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Made $ in second quarter. $37M. Not a grip but a profit nonetheless. Also in the black for the first half of the year. First time ever.
I copied a Wall Street Journal article below.

Virgin America Inc. said its second-quarter profit and revenue increased as the airline filled more seats and aircraft rent fees declined.

The company last month filed for an initial public offering with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, a move that had been anticipated for several months as the airline had been eager to go public.

Virgin America hopes to raise more than $300 million in the IPO, and will target a market value of more than $1 billion, people familiar with the deal said. The timing of the deal has not yet been finalized.

For the period ended June 30, Virgin America reported earnings of $37 million, up from $8.8 million a year earlier.

Total operating revenue rose 6.1% to $398.8 million. The bulk of that was passenger revenue, which increased 5% to $357.6 million.

Landing fees and rent expenses, as well other line items, increased from a year earlier.

Other expenses, such as aircraft fuel, edged downward year-over-year. Aircraft rent fees slid 11% to $45.9 million.

Revenue per available seat mile--an important measure of performance for the sector--increased 7.8% to 12.46 cents.

The company said year-over-year growth was driven by a 5% increase in yield and a 1.2 point increase in load factor, or the percentage of seats filled.

CL65driver
08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Definitely some good news! Congrats to the folks at VX! :)

sickntired
08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
FYI there's people that have been swimming in the pool since last august. At least a half dozen.

putzin
08-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Made $ in second quarter. $37M. Not a grip but a profit nonetheless. Also in the black for the first half of the year. First time ever.
I copied a Wall Street Journal article below.

Virgin America Inc. said its second-quarter profit and revenue increased as the airline filled more seats and aircraft rent fees declined.

The company last month filed for an initial public offering with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, a move that had been anticipated for several months as the airline had been eager to go public.

Virgin America hopes to raise more than $300 million in the IPO, and will target a market value of more than $1 billion, people familiar with the deal said. The timing of the deal has not yet been finalized.

For the period ended June 30, Virgin America reported earnings of $37 million, up from $8.8 million a year earlier.

Total operating revenue rose 6.1% to $398.8 million. The bulk of that was passenger revenue, which increased 5% to $357.6 million.

Landing fees and rent expenses, as well other line items, increased from a year earlier.

Other expenses, such as aircraft fuel, edged downward year-over-year. Aircraft rent fees slid 11% to $45.9 million.

Revenue per available seat mile--an important measure of performance for the sector--increased 7.8% to 12.46 cents.

The company said year-over-year growth was driven by a 5% increase in yield and a 1.2 point increase in load factor, or the percentage of seats filled.

A major accomplishment! CONGRATS VX!

ducdriver
08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
FYI there's people that have been swimming in the pool since last august. At least a half dozen.

Lots of pool swimmers have gotten other jobs myself included. The pool may not be as deep as some think.

FlytoSurf
08-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Rumors are going around that no class until april from the crew planner.

NextFlightHome
08-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Rumors are going around that no class until april from the crew planner.

This and several other things are very worrisome... I know that VX's goal is to be the W Hotel of every city. Not take over any particular city, but be there and those who like VX will actively seek it out. However, expansion is going VERY slowly and I feel like there are a LOT of missed opportunities that jetBlue and Spirit are scooping up. I worry about the validity of VX in the marketplace over the next 5-10 years. I know they have a lot of plans for expansion and 40-something aircraft on order.

Also I realize the IPO is coming and things need to be lean to look good to investors. That being said, if you let staffing levels slip too much, service suffers and you look bad anyway. It made sense to delay aircraft deliveries the first time so they wouldn't expand faster than they could handle. This is worrisome.

First classes were to be held in Sept 2014, then we hear rumors of Jan '15, now Apr 15?

303flyboy
08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
I think for now it sadly makes sense not bringing extra people on to look good for the IPO. After that it would make no sense not to start new hire classes up again, especially with flying not slowing down in Sept (DAL). :confused:

The Juice
08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
This and several other things are very worrisome... I know that VX's goal is to be the W Hotel of every city. Not take over any particular city, but be there and those who like VX will actively seek it out. However, expansion is going VERY slowly and I feel like there are a LOT of missed opportunities that jetBlue and Spirit are scooping up. I worry about the validity of VX in the marketplace over the next 5-10 years. I know they have a lot of plans for expansion and 40-something aircraft on order.

There is just a finite about of people in this country who like to wear fedoras, and scarfs in the summer.

I dont know how anyone could expect expansion to move swiftly at Virgin when the product is niche in nature. I agree that in certain cities there will be people to search out and fly Virgin, because they like the product. But when you look at a map of the USA and start crossing off cities in which the brand doesnt work, its hard to continue to grow.

Bugaboo
08-23-2014, 12:38 PM
There is just a finite about of people in this country who like to wear fedoras, and scarfs in the summer.

I dont know how anyone could expect expansion to move swiftly at Virgin when the product is niche in nature. I agree that in certain cities there will be people to search out and fly Virgin, because they like the product. But when you look at a map of the USA and start crossing off cities in which the brand doesnt work, its hard to continue to grow.

Virgin Americas passenger base is really not any different than others. The fedora/scarf/hipster crowd is what most people think of when they envision VA passengers, but the reality is different. It seems to be a W environment for the everyday traveler. One thing is for sure, people do enjoy the experience and seek it out for future travel. There are only around 15 legitimate cities left in the country that would work for VA though, they dang sure wont be going into Lubbock or Fargo. I could see PHX, DEN, and BNA on their radar though.

NextFlightHome
08-23-2014, 12:42 PM

CMH, RDU, CLT, CLE, MSN, MSP, BTV, PWM, ATL, BNA, PHX, and DEN all strike me as cities that would fill seats the moment VX arrived. While I do agree they are a niche, I think they have a lot of untapped potential.

303flyboy
08-23-2014, 03:39 PM
I am hoping for DEN.... Not biased at all here :)

jayme
08-23-2014, 11:21 PM

Bugaboo
08-24-2014, 12:00 PM
I am hoping for DEN.... Not biased at all here :)
Im sure its coming....tons of travel between Denver and the west coast.

NextFlightHome
09-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Anyone heard anything about class dates or an IPO date?

gvinflight
09-03-2014, 12:51 PM
I got a poolie email that said they would let me know as soon as they had arranged class dates...but nothing more here.

spudskier
09-05-2014, 09:25 AM
This is pretty cool! (Virgin America in formation with Virgin Galactic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZj7LB1ilnY

silver fleet
09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Gvin:
Have you already interviewed?

gvinflight
09-06-2014, 05:43 AM
I did, back in May.

gvinflight
09-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Anything new in the VX world?

ShyGuy
09-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Not really. Pretty quiet actually.

FlytoSurf
09-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Dead quiet. I haven't heard a single thing in awhile. I think we will hear some things next month.

av8trup2late
09-23-2014, 10:13 PM
You can argue that the math will change, but all of you applicants should note that the planned aircraft orders at VX math show that all of the Captains for a very long time, are already on the property.

Seriously, great people to work with, but the only reason to come to VX now as opposed to the other Legacy airlines that are hiring and paying much much more, is because you cant get hired anywhere else or just want the type rating. (Especially with the brutal FO reserve rules and non commutable schedules).

There's what "Could happen" and there's how it is. The numbers don't lie. The coming staggering retirement numbers and current great pay at the legacy's are facts.

No agenda here, just tired of listening to disappointed FO's who expected Legacy pay and 401k rates to come here. (ie." 7.5% vs 16%). I hope it changes, but as they say, "If you put hope in one hand and *&#( in the other.."

Be happy that at least the industry is hiring. Many times in the past, ...they haven't.

Just puttin' it out there. Best of luck.

brianb
09-24-2014, 06:03 AM
True dat, however, hiring is supposed to pick up quite a bit in 2015 and for anybody who lives locally, Virgin can be a good gig. Reserve rules need a bit of tweaking but they seem to be headed in the right direction, albeit slowly. Union drive is on and a vote may take place late this year or early next. Who knows. Good luck to all of you who apply.

MusicPilot
10-01-2014, 05:37 AM
New Routes: JFK - FLL the biggest one.

_____
VIRGIN AMERICA TAKES TRAVELERS TO THE SUNSHINE WITH NEW SEASONAL ROUTES

The Airline’s Seasonal New York-Fort Lauderdale and Boston-Las Vegas Routes are on Sale Now;

Guests Are Invited to Start Planning a ‘Winter Thaw’ with Deals and a ‘Sun-Inspired Selfie’ Competition for Chance To Win Roundtrip Flights to Winter Escape Destinations.

San Francisco – October 1, 2014 – Virgin America, the award-winning airline that is reinventing travel, today announces two new seasonal routes – daily nonstop service between New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) and four times weekly service between Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) and Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS). Virgin America will offer its award-winning three class service – First Class, Main Cabin Select and Main Cabin – on these routes with mood-lighting, touch-screen entertainment at every seat and fleetwide WiFi. To celebrate the new routes, Virgin America is inviting travelers to share their best sun-inspired ‘selfie’ on Twitter using the #ThawOut hashtag for a chance to win two roundtrip Main Cabin tickets on one of these new winter escape routes*. Tickets for the new services are available now at Virgin America's website and 1-877-FLY-VIRGIN with special sale fares for JFK-FLL starting from $99 one-way and BOS-LAS starting from $179 one-way (taxes and fees included and restrictions applying*). All seats are also available for redemption bookings, with no-blackout reward flights on JFK-FLL starting at 3907 Elevate® points and BOS-LAS starting at 7629 points.

“As the colder months approach, many of our guests – in the Northeastern U.S., especially – are already planning their winter getaways, so we’re pleased to offer a breath of fresh airline on these seasonal routes,” said John MacLeod, Virgin America’s Senior Vice President of Planning and Sales. “This is the first time Virgin America has offered nonstop flights between Fort Lauderdale and New York as well as Las Vegas and Boston. With our moodlighting, award-winning guest service, personal entertainment and power outlets at every seat, plus WiFi across the entire fleet, we think guests will agree that Virgin America is the perfect way to escape to these popular destinations.”

Additionally, the airline announces today that it will operate two extra roundtrip frequencies weekly between Las Vegas-New York (JFK) over winter and early spring to bring weekly frequencies on this popular route from the current seven to nine.

For more details on the Twitter #ThawOut contest, visit Virgin America’s Flyer Feed blog and the official rules site.

Virgin America’s 2014-2015 new seasonal services are as follows:

December 18, 2014 – April 28, 2015

· JFK- FLL: depart 8:00am and arrive 11:05am daily.

· FLL- JFK: depart 9:15am and arrive 11:55am daily.

January 8, 2015 – April 28, 2015

· BOS-LAS: depart 10:30am and arrive 1:40pm on Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

· LAS-BOS: depart 2:50pm and arrive 10:40pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

· LAS-BOS: depart at 3:35pm and arrive 11:25pm on Thursday.

January 5, 2015 – April 28, 2015*

· JFK-LAS: depart at 11:35am and arrive 2:35pm on Wednesday and Thursday.

· LAS-JFK: depart at 3:10pm and arrive at 11:00pm on Monday.

· LAS-JFK: depart at 3:35pm and arrive at 11:25pm on Wednesday.

*In addition to existing daily roundtrip schedule on this route.

IQuitEagle
10-01-2014, 08:14 AM
New Routes: JFK - FLL the biggest one.

_____
VIRGIN AMERICA TAKES TRAVELERS TO THE SUNSHINE WITH NEW SEASONAL ROUTES

The Airline’s Seasonal New York-Fort Lauderdale and Boston-Las Vegas Routes are on Sale Now;

Guests Are Invited to Start Planning a ‘Winter Thaw’ with Deals and a ‘Sun-Inspired Selfie’ Competition for Chance To Win Roundtrip Flights to Winter Escape Destinations.

San Francisco – October 1, 2014 – Virgin America, the award-winning airline that is reinventing travel, today announces two new seasonal routes – daily nonstop service between New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) and four times weekly service between Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) and Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS). Virgin America will offer its award-winning three class service – First Class, Main Cabin Select and Main Cabin – on these routes with mood-lighting, touch-screen entertainment at every seat and fleetwide WiFi. To celebrate the new routes, Virgin America is inviting travelers to share their best sun-inspired ‘selfie’ on Twitter using the #ThawOut hashtag for a chance to win two roundtrip Main Cabin tickets on one of these new winter escape routes*. Tickets for the new services are available now at Virgin America's website and 1-877-FLY-VIRGIN with special sale fares for JFK-FLL starting from $99 one-way and BOS-LAS starting from $179 one-way (taxes and fees included and restrictions applying*). All seats are also available for redemption bookings, with no-blackout reward flights on JFK-FLL starting at 3907 Elevate® points and BOS-LAS starting at 7629 points.

“As the colder months approach, many of our guests – in the Northeastern U.S., especially – are already planning their winter getaways, so we’re pleased to offer a breath of fresh airline on these seasonal routes,” said John MacLeod, Virgin America’s Senior Vice President of Planning and Sales. “This is the first time Virgin America has offered nonstop flights between Fort Lauderdale and New York as well as Las Vegas and Boston. With our moodlighting, award-winning guest service, personal entertainment and power outlets at every seat, plus WiFi across the entire fleet, we think guests will agree that Virgin America is the perfect way to escape to these popular destinations.”

Additionally, the airline announces today that it will operate two extra roundtrip frequencies weekly between Las Vegas-New York (JFK) over winter and early spring to bring weekly frequencies on this popular route from the current seven to nine.

For more details on the Twitter #ThawOut contest, visit Virgin America’s Flyer Feed blog and the official rules site.

Virgin America’s 2014-2015 new seasonal services are as follows:

December 18, 2014 – April 28, 2015

· JFK- FLL: depart 8:00am and arrive 11:05am daily.

· FLL- JFK: depart 9:15am and arrive 11:55am daily.

January 8, 2015 – April 28, 2015

· BOS-LAS: depart 10:30am and arrive 1:40pm on Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

· LAS-BOS: depart 2:50pm and arrive 10:40pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

· LAS-BOS: depart at 3:35pm and arrive 11:25pm on Thursday.

January 5, 2015 – April 28, 2015*

· JFK-LAS: depart at 11:35am and arrive 2:35pm on Wednesday and Thursday.

· LAS-JFK: depart at 3:10pm and arrive at 11:00pm on Monday.

· LAS-JFK: depart at 3:35pm and arrive at 11:25pm on Wednesday.

*In addition to existing daily roundtrip schedule on this route.

Just wondering, which routes at JFK are being cut to make room for the new ones? With JFK being slot controlled and all...

ShyGuy
10-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Just wondering, which routes at JFK are being cut to make room for the new ones? With JFK being slot controlled and all...

I don't think anything else is, other than the VX seasonal reductions that JFK sees anyway. Eg, summer JFK-LAX in the summer is 6x daily but in the winter might only be 4-5x daily.