Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

coryk
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Let's start a thread for people interviewing as well as the newly hired. Info on class dates, sizes, bases, benefits, etc. (since the other thread disappeared)

SUX4U
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Let's start a thread for people interviewing as well as the newly hired. Info on class dates, sizes, bases, benefits, etc. (since the other thread disappeared)

The other threads are now in the hiring news section.

ShyGuy
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Well the latest and greatest threads of other airlines stay here. Who goes to hiring news? Not to mention that's a hidden forum that can't be accessed unless you sign in. It's private.

A small class is 4 pilots. Regular classes are 8-10 pilots. Bases are LAX and SFO, with JFK being a very small pseudo base that is super-senior. Interviews and hiring continues, so apply if interested!

MusicPilot
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
20 scheduled to date. 6 start Feb. 20th, then 6 two weeks later, 6 after that, then 2. Rumor is at least 40 for the year.

Walter White
01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
20 scheduled to date. 6 start Feb. 20th, then 6 two weeks later, 6 after that, then 2. Rumor is at least 40 for the year.

Has anyone in the pool been notified of these start dates? Last we heard was that they "might" run a class in March. And nothing since.

Mr. White

coryk
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Has anyone in the pool been notified of these start dates? Last we heard was that they "might" run a class in March. And nothing since.

Mr. White

When did you interview? What were the times and backgrounds of the people interviewing?

pause
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

Mr. White

FANTASTIC USER NAME Mr. White!! Sorry, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Carry on :D

MusicPilot
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Mr. White

Start dates / Class size:
03.06 / 6 pilots
03.20 / 6 pilots
04.03 / 6 pilots
04.17 / 2 pilots

Ten have been notified as of today.

Systemized
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Start dates / Class size:
03.06 / 6 pilots
03.20 / 6 pilots
04.03 / 6 pilots
04.17 / 2 pilots

Ten have been notified as of today.

Is anyone getting on without 121 time?

Walter White
01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
When did you interview? What were the times and backgrounds of the people interviewing?

There were two rounds of interviews last August. Around 12 to 15 each round if I remember correctly. Lots of regional captains. A couple I spoke to had no internal recs. Most had internal recs. There were 2 or 3 from Supplemental backgrounds. That's all I remember. But most had regional backgrounds.

A very warm and relaxing interview environment. VA people were very nice to all of us.

Mr. White

Walter White
01-30-2013, 05:05 PM
FANTASTIC USER NAME Mr. White!! Sorry, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Carry on :D

Arguably one of the greatest TV shows ever.

Mr. White

Fins Up
01-31-2013, 05:04 AM
Arguably one of the greatest TV shows ever.

Mr. White

I thought it was 'Heisenberg'.

pause
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
I thought it was 'Heisenberg'.

Heisenberg is Walters pseudo name he uses "on the street".

slavenaway
01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Looks like VA missed payroll today.

SUX4U
01-31-2013, 08:15 AM

Care to elaborate?

slavenaway
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Care to elaborate?

Sure. Late deposit of our last 401k. Now, I checked my account for pay and quarterly incentive. Nothing. This is for all pilots and FAs.

Busdriver320
01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Care to elaborate?

The sky isn't falling, there was some glitch that caused the checks to be MAILED OUT instead of direct deposit. 3rd party payroll company eff up, NOT that there isn't money to make payroll.

putzin
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM

Bummer.......

Light Chop
01-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Anyone provide feedback on the on line assessment? Is that a pass/fail test?

slavenaway
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
The sky isn't falling, there was some glitch that caused the checks to be MAILED OUT instead of direct deposit. 3rd party payroll company eff up, NOT that there isn't money to make payroll.

What happens to all those out on trips with checks sitting in their mail boxes and automatic payments scheduled for this evening?

This highlights one of the many problems with running HQ so lean. There aren't enough people available to make sure the employees are taken care of.

BTW, my mail arrived and no paycheck today.

putzin
01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
What happens to all those out on trips with checks sitting in their mail boxes and automatic payments scheduled for this evening?

This highlights one of the many problems with running HQ so lean. There aren't enough people available to make sure the employees are taken care of.

Don't worry Slaven not all is lost, refresh will continue to run on time.

Do they run lean or do they just spend to much time screwing around with things that don't matter?

ShyGuy
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM

BTW, my mail arrived and no paycheck today.

Did you even check your company email? They said they would pay for any autopayment issues that cost you extra as a result of this glitch.

putzin
01-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Did you even check your company email? They said they would pay for any autopayment issues that cost you extra as a result of this glitch.

Did you check the time stamp on the company emails verses Slavens post? :rolleyes:

ShyGuy
01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Oh oops my bad. But I highly doubt the company would have just told you to suck it up. It's a vendor error, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of contract for pay errors and delays.

putzin
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh oops my bad. But I highly doubt the company would have just told you to suck it up. It's a vendor error, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some kind of contract for pay errors and delays.

The "company" has said many things throughout it's short history and followed it up with "suck it up". While it's agreed upon that they wouldn't do it with payroll, they have set the tone with many other failed policies and procedures. Fortunately we have managed to change some before you arrived. The frustration comes from the profession that we're some kind of new airline, when we are truly just a new organization with the same old ladder climbing managers.

You'll get it eventually. :cool:

Moby Dick
02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Come on, putz. You were just like him once upon a time. Amazing how a little experience will change your viewpoint, isn't it?

Give him time, he'll figure it out.

slavenaway
02-01-2013, 11:31 AM
The frustration comes from the profession that we're some kind of new airline, when we are truly just a new organization with the same old ladder climbing managers.

This is what happens when flight attendants run an airline.

atooraya
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
This is what happens when flight attendants run an airline.
PM Fish freighter for a recombination to Alaska. His alter ego is Moby Dick.

There's 2000 regional FO's that are yearning for you position.

Golden Bear
02-01-2013, 07:46 PM
There's 2000 regional FO's that are yearning for you position.

That isn't saying much about the position! :eek:

BeardedFlyer
02-01-2013, 07:52 PM
But flying for Virgin means you get first dibs at flying a commercial space ship!

ShyGuy
02-02-2013, 01:43 AM
The "company" has said many things throughout it's short history and followed it up with "suck it up". While it's agreed upon that they wouldn't do it with payroll, they have set the tone with many other failed policies and procedures. Fortunately we have managed to change some before you arrived. The frustration comes from the profession that we're some kind of new airline, when we are truly just a new organization with the same old ladder climbing managers.

You'll get it eventually. :cool:
Any new airline will be a new organization run with climbing managers. A new airline isn't going to start with a 22 year old fresh college graduate CEO. Airline management jobs will be landed by those with good internal connections, like being buddies with someone on the board. I never thought a new airline would be run by non-airline experienced personnel. If a new airline launched tomorrow (like talks of Peopleexpress out of PIT or ORF), I fully expect it to be led by previous airline managers. I've gotten it, no worries. This place isn't perfect. Knee jerk stuff sometimes (KD story), but it was corrected. Everyone has their worst top 3 list, but one of them is leaving.

As for this topic, it was a pay inconvenience at best caused by the 3rd party vendor. They accidently setup so checks were cut instead of direct deposits. I didnt check my mail Feb 1 but Feb 2 I checked and I already had the paper check. And seriously, bills not being paid? My bank and automatic payment expenses aren't based on a 35 hr guarantee deposit clearing through the 31st in a paycheck-to-paycheck style. Why live that close to the edge? I like to pad my primary checking account by a little bit, so that expenses are taken care of at all times.

RJtrashPilot
02-02-2013, 06:47 AM
That's fine and dandy, Shy. But for some of us, including myself, it's the principle of the thing. I realize this isn't the company's fault, and they are trying hard to correct the situation. However, there's one thing you shouldn't mess with and that's my pay. Mess with my schedule, mess with my days off fine, I get it, it's an airline. But I'll be jack snap, don't mess with my pay!!

Additionally, not everyone is in the same situation financially as you. If you're in a position that you can stretch your bills across the month, that's great for you and I hope you can keep it like that for the rest of your life. Some people have mortgages, child support,kids to put through school, medical situations that require extra income, etc... Consider yourself lucky, but get off your high horse and stop acting like Dave Ramsay and giving people advice on how they should structure their bill cycles. It's not always that easy. Life happens and some people legitimately have to live paycheck to paycheck. Some through irresponsible decisions, but others because of how their cards were dealt to them in life through no fault of their own. So tone down the rhetoric a bit, man.

But I will give credit where credit is due. The company is going out of their way to rectify this situation and my hat is off to them for going way above and beyond to take care of crews this weekend!

putzin
02-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Any new airline will be a new organization run with climbing managers. A new airline isn't going to start with a 22 year old fresh college graduate CEO. Airline management jobs will be landed by those with good internal connections, like being buddies with someone on the board. I never thought a new airline would be run by non-airline experienced personnel. If a new airline launched tomorrow (like talks of Peopleexpress out of PIT or ORF), I fully expect it to be led by previous airline managers. I've gotten it, no worries. This place isn't perfect. Knee jerk stuff sometimes (KD story), but it was corrected. Everyone has their worst top 3 list, but one of them is leaving.

As for this topic, it was a pay inconvenience at best caused by the 3rd party vendor. They accidently setup so checks were cut instead of direct deposits. I didnt check my mail Feb 1 but Feb 2 I checked and I already had the paper check. And seriously, bills not being paid? My bank and automatic payment expenses aren't based on a 35 hr guarantee deposit clearing through the 31st in a paycheck-to-paycheck style. Why live that close to the edge? I like to pad my primary checking account by a little bit, so that expenses are taken care of at all times.

Shy the things that really bother me is why we have to takes months or years to fix things that shouldn't have been that way in the first place. Pay, insurance, reserve. There isn't a person here, in a managers position, that hasn't been in the industry for 15 years. They know what's fair, they know what's not. The benefits don't have to be at top of the industry but they shouldn't be at the bottom either.

I am not into spoiling your fantasy about what you think Virgin is so I've kept my mouth shut. You won't hear from me any further either because I have much better things to do than argue with you about a second rate job. You needed a reality check, it was time and never let a good crisis go to waste.;)

Virgin is not the worst place, I'll give you that. It's definitely not as advertised either. I'm glad you love it here, that makes one of us. You'll have my spot soon as Virgin has now served my purpose.

slavenaway
02-02-2013, 08:56 AM
This place isn't perfect. Knee jerk stuff sometimes (KD story), but it was corrected.

It is too bad that part of the correction was to fire the Base CP who wouldn't change his official and accurate report of the KD incident so they could keep KD off the property. Oh yeah, they yanked his LCA letter for good measure.

So much for doing the right thing.

ShyGuy
02-02-2013, 02:01 PM
That's fine and dandy, Shy. But for some of us, including myself, it's the principle of the thing. I realize this isn't the company's fault, and they are trying hard to correct the situation. However, there's one thing you shouldn't mess with and that's my pay. Mess with my schedule, mess with my days off fine, I get it, it's an airline. But I'll be jack snap, don't mess with my pay!!
That's fair enough, and I agree, but we have different definitions. For me, "messing up my pay" is not when they send out a paper check instead of a direct deposit. I still got paid, this time, the old fationed way. Messing up my pay to me is no direct deposit, and no paper check. Basically, no pay. That would be upsetting. Or incorrect pay that takes too long to correct. So far, I've been lucky.

Additionally, not everyone is in the same situation financially as you. If you're in a position that you can stretch your bills across the month, that's great for you and I hope you can keep it like that for the rest of your life. Some people have mortgages, child support,kids to put through school, medical situations that require extra income, etc... Consider yourself lucky, but get off your high horse and stop acting like Dave Ramsay and giving people advice on how they should structure their bill cycles. It's not always that easy. Life happens and some people legitimately have to live paycheck to paycheck. Some through irresponsible decisions, but others because of how their cards were dealt to them in life through no fault of their own. So tone down the rhetoric a bit, man.
Fair enough, I feel bad for anyone who is truly relying on a 35 hr guarantee (which is our lowest check, because it is only the 35 hr guarantee and nothing else, no per diem, no overages above 70 - that comes in mid month). If one is really on this borderline, I fear they may be running negative on a monthly basis. Hopefully that situation can rectify itself. It is hardest on first year pay, but second year pay gets better.

But I will give credit where credit is due. The company is going out of their way to rectify this situation and my hat is off to them for going way above and beyond to take care of crews this weekend!
I agree. They are going far above and beyond for a simple error of a paper check getting sent out.

ShyGuy
02-02-2013, 02:17 PM
It is too bad that part of the correction was to fire the Base CP who wouldn't change his official and accurate report of the KD incident so they could keep KD off the property. Oh yeah, they yanked his LCA letter for good measure.

So much for doing the right thing.

As I said, sometimes kneejerk reactions. I don't want to get involved in internal politics.

Shy the things that really bother me is why we have to takes months or years to fix things that shouldn't have been that way in the first place. Pay, insurance, reserve. There isn't a person here, in a managers position, that hasn't been in the industry for 15 years. They know what's fair, they know what's not. The benefits don't have to be at top of the industry but they shouldn't be at the bottom either.

I am not into spoiling your fantasy about what you think Virgin is so I've kept my mouth shut. You won't hear from me any further either because I have much better things to do than argue with you about a second rate job. You needed a reality check, it was time and never let a good crisis go to waste.

Virgin is not the worst place, I'll give you that. It's definitely not as advertised either. I'm glad you love it here, that makes one of us. You'll have my spot soon as Virgin has now served my purpose.
Pay/Compensation will always be a measure of your company's bottom line/profitability. I can guarantee you even if VAPA passed and after a bunch of stalling in negotiations, we'd be sitting down with the NMB and the company's red ink papers in front of them saying "we just don't have the money for this asking." People have expectations, I do too. I do think I should be paid more when compared to my peers at JetBlue, Delta, and United. I know we won't achieve Delta/United wages for a carrier our size and scope, but I think our current pay/QOL issues should be better. But I'm also realistic in what we can achieve in our current airline's predicament. Now if you want to hold accountability for those who have led us to where we are, I am with you 100% on that.

RJtrashPilot
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Wow! Just wow.

A wise man once told me, "Youth is wasted on the youthful."

ShyGuy
02-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow! Just wow.

A wise man once told me, "Youth is wasted on the youthful."
What?

filler

JamesNoBrakes
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
That's fine and dandy, Shy. But for some of us, including myself, it's the principle of the thing. I realize this isn't the company's fault

That's like saying the FO busted altitude or something and you aren't going to have to take the fall because he was on the controls. Ultimately, the company is responsible. Messing up people's pay is one of the worst things a company can do. Any reputable company should bend over backwards to make it right if anything can be done at that point and beg for forgiveness for screwing that up. Any good HR person knows that you don't screw with an employee's pay, whether it's the amount they are owed, the time they are supposed to get it, or the format they are expecting.

ShyGuy
02-02-2013, 05:31 PM
That's like saying the FO busted altitude or something and you aren't going to have to take the fall because he was on the controls. Ultimately, the company is responsible. Messing up people's pay is one of the worst things a company can do. Any reputable company should bend over backwards to make it right if anything can be done at that point and beg for forgiveness for screwing that up. Any good HR person knows that you don't screw with an employee's pay, whether it's the amount they are owed, the time they are supposed to get it, or the format they are expecting.
I agree, but I got a paper check by Feb 2, and direct deposit that day. To me it doesn't cause heartburn. It would if it was a VX fault but this was solely ADP's fault and what VX is doing is going above and beyond in response. If it isn't VX that caused it, all you can do is push to get ADP out. Personally, I've had good experiences with ADP.

RJtrashPilot
02-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Deleted.............

atooraya
02-03-2013, 09:38 AM

If you were the CEO of VX, what would you do?

Lobaeux
02-03-2013, 09:44 AM
If you were the CEO of VX, what would you do?

Sounds like a great interview question.

ShyGuy
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Step down.

Moby Dick
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I am not into spoiling your fantasy about what you think Virgin is so I've kept my mouth shut. You won't hear from me any further either because I have much better things to do than argue with you about a second rate job. You needed a reality check, it was time and never let a good crisis go to waste.;)

What the cheerleaders will never understand is that other managements KNOW EXACTLY what VX pilots will take and still do the job. Then they do their best to make their pilots accept the same level of wages/benefits.

It's called the race to the bottom and VX pilots lead the way.

beeker
02-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Step down.

you mean bail out with the golden parachute

coryk
02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
What the cheerleaders will never understand is that other managements KNOW EXACTLY what VX pilots will take and still do the job. Then they do their best to make their pilots accept the same level of wages/benefits.

What do you expect? The airline is barely half a decade old. You have to learn to crawl before you can run.

ShyGuy
02-03-2013, 04:40 PM

US Airways pilots lead the race to the bottom, fish breath. With their delusioned goal of DOH and keeping the west separate, creating a permanent B scale. But don't let facts get in the way of a good bashing of VX. It must have sucked to get turned down at VX in 2007/8, but what do you care? You got hired at Alaska.

SUX4U
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Anyone else heading up for interviews for Tuesday or Thursday? Unfortunate to see no reviews from the guys that interviewed last week! Not too late to share the wealth guys! ;)

bluesideup1224
02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Any idea how long after taking the initial Assessment it takes to (hopefully) get the follow up email from them?

ShyGuy
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Any idea how long after taking the initial Assessment it takes to (hopefully) get the follow up email from them?
It's hard to say, could be anything from 2 days to 2 months. If you don't pass the assessment you don't hear anything.

bluesideup1224
02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Oh man the suspense! Thanks Shy :)

Fins Up
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Just heard a rumor you guys are late being paid. Any truth to that?

MusicPilot
02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Just heard a rumor you guys are late being paid. Any truth to that?

Everyone was paid on time. They just sent paper checks to the ones with direct deposit. ADP screwed it up and anyone that was affected with the direct deposit either has been taken care of or will.

ShyGuy
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Everyone was paid on time. They just sent paper checks to the ones with direct deposit. ADP screwed it up and anyone that was affected with the direct deposit either has been taken care of or will.
Exactly. And the company went above and beyond with offering different sorts of financial support for this ADP mistake.

coryk
02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Has anyone gotten called that interviewed two weeks ago?

ShyGuy
02-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Has anyone gotten called that interviewed two weeks ago?

The good news should come in the form of a drug test email. After that, it's a waiting game for classes, and they are usually right on the money with giving the absolute minimum 14 days notice prior to a class date. In my case, when they called with a class date, they gave me exactly 14 days from the day of the call to the first day of class, which meant that my resignation letter had to be written 13 days in advance. My CP was cool though, and he was abe to take care of it so I still got my vacation paid out (appropriate 2 week notice).

After the drug test email, it then also depends on how long your previous airline(s) take with the PRIA requests. Those airlines can take their sweet time all the up to 30 days, screwing you out of potential class dates and seniority. I called my previous airline and sweet talked my way with the lady in charge of PRIA, and she said officially all she can say is that she has 30 days to respond. It worked though, because when I got copies of my PRIA stuff from the company, I saw that it was sent out the same day I made that phone call.

Classes start in March and April. It depends on long the PRIA stuff takes to get back to VX. Finally, they'll give you pretty much a 14 day notice from phone call of a class offer to a class date. So for classes in March, it maybe a tad early for notifications right now.

SUX4U
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
I interviewed last Tuesday. One guy actually got a call that evening saying they wanted to move to the next step with him. Nobody else has heard a word.

aviatorpr
02-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I interviewed last Tuesday. One guy actually got a call that evening saying they wanted to move to the next step with him. Nobody else has heard a word.

What were his quals? Already typed on the plane.

SUX4U
02-11-2013, 03:34 PM
What were his quals? Already typed on the plane.

I dont recall his total time but he was on the CRJ and had been a previous captain. I dont think he had a 320 type. Great attitude and some internal recs obviously helped him out as well.

4andCounting
02-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Just announced new service to Austin and Anchorage.

VIRGIN AMERICA ANNOUNCES NEW NONSTOP SERVICE TO AUSTIN AND ANCHORAGE
#Nerdbird Express: Flyers Can Now Travel in Style between Silicon Valley and Austin’s ‘Silicon Hills’ with WiFi on Every Flight
Award-winning Airline Also Announces New Summer Seasonal Service to Anchorage from SFO

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – February 12, 2013 – Virgin America, the airline that is reinventing domestic travel, announces it will bring its low-fare, tech-forward flights to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) beginning May 21, 2013. Tickets are on sale today for a daily nonstop roundtrip flight from the carrier’s home base at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to the Texas capital – also known as the “the live music capital of the world.” As the only domestic airline to offer WiFi on every flight, and with features like power outlets and personal touch-screen entertainment platforms at every seat, Virgin America’s flights will offer a fresh new option that will keep travelers connected and productive when journeying between two of the nation’s leading innovation hubs. In addition, the airline announced today it will offer seasonal service from SFO to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC) with six nonstop roundtrip flights a week from June 6, 2013, through September 9, 2013. Tickets for both new destinations are available for purchase now at Plane Tickets, Flights And Airfares | Virgin America (http://www.virginamerica.com) and at 1.877.FLY.VIRGIN*with SFO-AUS fares from $89** and SFO-ANC fares from $199** (taxes and fees included and restrictions applying).

“Austin and Anchorage present unique opportunities for us to expand our network into areas that demand and deserve increased flight options,” said Virgin America President and CEO David Cush. “Austin and San Francisco share strong cultural and business links, and the addition of Anchorage will allow us to offer seasonal service to one of the most popular outdoor destinations from our home in San Francisco. For the Austin route in particular, Virgin America’s service will provide more options for business travelers who want to stay connected during their journey between Austin and the San Francisco Bay Area. No matter which state their job is based in, guests on Virgin America can stay productive – even at 35,000 feet.”

Connecting flights will be available from Austin to the carrier’s Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles and Las Vegas destinations. Connecting flights will be available from Anchorage to the carrier’s Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Chicago and Philadelphia locations. For those travelers interested in both of these new destinations, there will be connectivity from AUS to SFO to ANC.

As the only airline headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area and the first and only airline to offer WiFi on every flight, Virgin America has attracted a loyal following of tech-forward flyers since its launch in 2007. The airline’s current #myVXexperience media campaign highlights loyal frequent flyers known for being innovators in their own fields. In 2011, the airline gave one of its aircraft a name with a hashtag – #nerdbird – in a nod to the prevalence of wired travelers on its flights. The airline’s Elevate members have routinely named Austin as a ‘most wanted’ destination within the airline’s growing network. In addition to being the Texas capital, the Austin area is home to the University of Texas at Austin and a robust technology and innovation sector – many Bay Area employers including Apple, Google and Intel have significant presence in the Austin area.

“Austin and the San Francisco Bay Area share deep business ties, especially our world-class innovation and tech sectors. In order to facilitate tourism and subsequently keep Austin the thriving city we’re so proud of, I’ve been stressing for some time that we need more nonstop flights in and out of our airport,” said Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell. “I am pleased to see that Virgin America is adding a nonstop flight to and from the great city of San Francisco, and we welcome them as the newest airline to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. This new service will increase travel demand, offer convenient new options for business and leisure travelers, and spur local economic growth. With Virgin America’s tech-focused features onboard, I think the service will be well-received by Austinites.”

“We are delighted to welcome Virgin America to Anchorage,” said Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Manager John Parrott. “As Alaska’s largest city, it is essential to both our local and state economies that we have ample options when it comes to flying. This additional connectivity will undoubtedly bring economic growth by stimulating both tourism and business travel.”

Known for its tech-forward amenities and unrivalled in-flight entertainment, Virgin America has taken top honors as “Best U.S. Airline” in both Condé Nast Traveler’s annual Readers’ Choice Awards and Travel + Leisure’s annual World’s Best Awards every year since its launch. Virgin America’s new fleet of Airbus A320 family aircraft offers custom-designed mood-lit cabins and the most advanced personal entertainment platform in the skies. The Red™ platform offers guests their own seatback touch-screen TV, with 25 films, live TV, Google Maps, video games, seat-to-seat chat, music videos, a 4000 song library (and the ability create and save your own playlist in-flight), music videos, parental control settings and an on-demand menu – so flyers can order a cocktail or snack from their seatback any time during a flight. In addition to a Main Cabin that offers custom-designed leather seating with a deeper, more comfortable pitch, the airline’s First Class offers plush white leather seating with 55 inches of pitch, 165 degrees of recline and lumbar massagers. The carrier’s Main Cabin Select option offers 38-inches of pitch, free food and cocktails, an all-access pass to media content, dedicated overhead bins and priority check-in/boarding.

“Not all airlines are built the same: with new mood-lit planes with three classes of service, WiFi and touch-screen entertainment at every seat – all for competitive fares, our service offers travelers an elevated experience that is very different from the stripped down, no frills service that is typical of many domestic airlines,” added Cush.
Virgin America’s expansion in these new markets will bring new competition, lower fares and economic growth to the regions. As a new entrant airline, Virgin America has been a case study for how more airline competition can directly improve fares and service for consumers. When Virgin America entered the SFO-Chicago O’Hare (ORD) market in 2011 and the SFO-Dallas-Fort Worth International (DFW) market in 2010, fares dropped by over one-third on these routes. An SFO-commissioned study shows the impact of new low-fare service from 2006-2011 as having lowered fares for SFO travelers overall by 18 percent.

The airline’s SFO–AUS schedule is as follows:

From
To
Dep
Arr
Frequency
SFO
AUS
10:15a
3:35p
Daily
AUS
SFO
5:00p
7:00p
Daily

Service: Beginning May 21, 2013

The airline’s SFO-ANC seasonal schedule is as follows:

From
To
Dep
Arr
Frequency
SFO
ANC
8:00pm
11:55pm
Daily except Tuesday
ANC
SFO
12:50am
6:25am
Daily except Wednesday

Service: SFO-ANC service beginning June 6, 2013, ANC-SFO service beginning June 7, 2013

Virgin America’s principal base of operation is San Francisco International Airport (SFO), where it first launched service in August 2007. Virgin’s expansion to 19 airport destinations has created 2,600 new jobs. The airline flies to San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C. (IAD), Las Vegas, San Diego, Seattle, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Cabos, Cancun, Chicago, Puerto Vallarta, Palm Springs, Philadelphia, Portland, and Washington D.C.’s Reagan National (DCA). In April, Virgin America will inaugurate service to its 20th airport destination – Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and in May it will launch new service to San Jose Norman Y. Mineta International Airport (SJC).

akaviator
02-12-2013, 07:18 AM
That's excellent. There is definitely a market for more lift in and out of ANC in the summer.

putzin
02-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I vote for SP as the guest of honor at the launch party!!

akaviator
02-12-2013, 08:35 AM
I vote for SP as the guest of honor at the launch party!!

That's a great idea.:)

cloudwarrior
02-12-2013, 09:56 AM

For all your bad mouthing the small airbus's over at F9; it's amazing your trying for Virgin.
Good luck bro.

Columbia
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Will the direct TV and Internet work to/from Alaska?

zoooropa
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
For all your bad mouthing the small airbus's over at F9; it's amazing your trying for Virgin.
Good luck bro.

Give the guy some credit, he is interviewing and starting at the bottom like the rest of us. I have no ill will towards this type of person, it is the ones that have flown at CHQ for 15 years and can't/won't get a real job while making a concerted effort to sabatoge my job.

Good luck to you and I hope you get hired.

SUX4U
02-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Good luck bro.

Its not about the aircraft type, its about the people you work with and not being under the iron fist of RAH...

LIOG41
02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Will the direct TV and Internet work to/from Alaska?

Doesn't on United or Alaska in certain areas.

dash trash
02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Doesn't on United or Alaska in certain areas.

That area is called Canada.

319wisperer
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
That area is called Canada.

Now that's just funny.

Flyboy060
02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Anyone have recommendations or know what the LAX crashpad situation is like? Any info would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

flightmedic01
02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Anyone else think that online assessment test was ridiculous?!?

ShyGuy
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
From what I've seen, LAX crashpads are more expensive than SFO ones. SFO you could find one 220-250/month, but LAX, you'd be hard pressed to find anything under $300.

Yes the online test is hard but it gives a fair shot to those who aren't well connected at VX or the airline industry in general.

SUX4U
02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
From what I've seen, LAX crashpads are more expensive than SFO ones. SFO you could find one 220-250/month, but LAX, you'd be hard pressed to find anything under $300.

Yes the online test is hard but it gives a fair shot to those who aren't well connected at VX or the airline industry in general.

I thought the same thing, until 8 out of 10 of us from last Tuesday got the thanks but no thanks. You would think that after all the online assessments and tests that you would be walking into an interview that is yours to lose rather then have a 20% chance of getting hired. And that was for every single one of us being "well connected" at VX. For the guys in the know is it usually that low of an acceptance rate, or did we just rub them the wrong way?

crjav8er
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I thought the same thing, until 8 out of 10 of us from last Tuesday got the thanks but no thanks. You would think that after all the online assessments and tests that you would be walking into an interview that is yours to lose rather then have a 20% chance of getting hired. And that was for every single one of us being "well connected" at VX. For the guys in the know is it usually that low of an acceptance rate, or did we just rub them the wrong way?

HR here has some major issues. Unfortunately they run the show and the CP office just plays along. I don't think they really care about our internal recs.

Fred Flintstone
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
An internal rec here is actually worse than not knowing anybody at all. I stopped doing them, and the people I knew had better luck. HR has an agenda, and it is not to help anyone with contacts.

Sad, but true.

SUX4U
02-14-2013, 04:36 PM
An internal rec here is actually worse than not knowing anybody at all. I stopped doing them, and the people I knew had better luck. HR has an agenda, and it is not to help anyone with contacts.

Sad, but true.

Wow... well I guess it just really was not meant to be then! Best of luck to you all there and those interested in joining. The best part of the whole interview process was getting to run into all the different crew members along the way. You all made an outsider feel very welcome. If only HR was the same way!

flightmedic01
02-14-2013, 05:56 PM
I actually interviewed there about a year and a half ago and was turned down. No sour grapes here, and it seemed to be the same then. Ten of interviewed that day and I believe only two were hired. I just reapplied for S&Gs. Wanna see if they catch that I interviewed before!

WIFlyer
02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
I am going in for the interview next week. No internal recs so maybe I have a shot? What agenda does hr have?

atooraya
02-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Sad, but true.

A-MEN! I have a friend that tried to recommend someone through a bunch of different means.

No good!

ShyGuy
02-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Mine was 5 out of 11 hired. I know 2 out of 10 before. The acceptance rate seems to be 10-50%, so I'm not totally surprised. How was the group interview? IMO, one could usually tell about others in terms of who would make it in the interview. In our interview group, it was obvious based on the group interview alone which candidates wouldn't get hired.

Douglas9
02-15-2013, 06:43 AM
I talked to an VX HR lady yesterday and she told me about 4% that take the online test get hired. She said it's easier to get into Standford then hired at VX. Interviews this week were for May classes. CP told me the plan right now was to hire 25 and 12 have left so far for greener pastures. Probably more will be leaving.

hootie
02-15-2013, 06:55 AM
She said it's easier to get into Standford then hired at VX.

She is incorrect.

Lobaeux
02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
She is incorrect.

He said Standford, not Stanford.

cmrflyer
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
The cp isn't even close, 5 left on Tuesday alone! In December I flew with three fos. It was their last trips at vx.

Douglas9
02-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the news......good for me!

cmrflyer
02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
They are all very junior guys, thanks for the pic type, see you later.

coryk
02-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Where were they all going?

Douglas9
02-15-2013, 06:03 PM
UAL, Spirit.....China?

ShyGuy
02-15-2013, 06:11 PM
The cp isn't even close, 5 left on Tuesday alone! In December I flew with three fos. It was their last trips at vx.

I keep hearing these big numbers, yet the new seniority lists published every month don't seem to reflect it.

Columbia
02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the news......good for me!

How so? What's your next step?

Douglas9
02-16-2013, 04:14 AM
How so? What's your next step?

If more guys senior to me leave I stay off reserve and keep a line....reserve is no picnic at VX as an East coast commuter nor is sharing a SFO crash pad with a bunch of UAL flight attendants at the North Park Bunk & Bath for a 5 on 3 off schedule!

teedog
02-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I keep hearing these big numbers, yet the new seniority lists published every month don't seem to reflect it.

Ya better look again I know 10 people that came from Virgin to United 5 are in BI right now they started last tuesday.

Socal Approach
02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
She is incorrect.

Not necessarily if you want to compare numbers. Stanford acceptance rate is like 8%. Meanwhile only 4% of inquiring pilots are being accepted into VX. I'ts not a two way street at VX if HR has anything to do with it.

Douglas9
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Heard Airbourne guys are going back now too....someone senior to me left and I scored Christmas vacation off the availability board last night!

alphonso1
02-16-2013, 12:52 PM

Sad, but true.

It is sad....I really wanted to be a member of the team....Tried quite a few times before finally successfully completing the Pilot assesment and the rest of the process...

You finally get to interview after having done the research, lining up recs from Virgin LCA and Sim Instructors, flew on the product, believed in the philosophy, etc...

What is HR's Agenda?
What happened to the days when the recs from the PEOPLE who you will be flying with, and have flown with before, that are Senior Virgin Pilots now, have NO WEIGHT in the selection process...

You jump through all the hoops, comply with everyone of HR's requests, present yourself as the consumate team player, and demonstrate this, with confidance, for over 7 hours of the interview process, having high hopes that by chance you feel that you have finally made it to being a part of a quality family.....only to be blown off....

I hold no grudges...that's what aviation has become....

I just wish I knew what HR wants of you and why the voices of their OWN Pilots count for NOTHING....

To my Virgin mentors that gave me solid recs...I Thank You All for believing in me....I only wish HR could hear your voices.

alphonso1
02-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Not necessarily if you want to compare numbers. Stanford acceptance rate is like 8%. Meanwhile only 4% of inquiring pilots are being accepted into VX. I'ts not a two way street at VX if HR has anything to do with it.

"I'ts not a two way street at VX if HR has anything to do with it."

Why is that?
Why does HR spend so much time rejecting so many people?

The window is open, the process is lengthy, The desire to join the team is strong, but, in a 6 month period they will possibly interview 600 people and reject 580 of those people...

????????

biigD
02-16-2013, 01:28 PM

It's kind of a disingenuous statement, though. Almost all Stanford applicants are highly, highly qualified. Stanford is admitting 8% of what's already the cream of the crop. Imagine if every high school graduate applied to Stanford. What do you suppose their acceptance rate would be then?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not making any statement about the quality of guys getting on at VX. But like every HR person I've ever met, I think the lady that made this comment is FOS. ;)

If I had my way, HR would not be involved in the hiring process of pilots anywhere - period.

alphonso1
02-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Has anyone that Interviewed with the group on Thursday, February 6, 2013, Heard Anything yet one way or another?

It was a group of 6 of us...very Curious to know something...I've recieved NO Phone call and No E-Mail....

I'm still holding on to the Lab Corp Urine Collection Form that they gave us all during the group interview....I'd love to be asked to use it...

If anyone has heard anything from this interview day, could you please share...

Thanks.

cmrflyer
02-16-2013, 06:30 PM
And I just ran into another one doing his last trip. Funny old world.

putzin
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Per Mark at least 16 UAL guys left. I spoke with 5 guys personally who went to other carriers, Spirit, Jetblue, Fedex. There's a reason were hiring 20.

FYI, "Cici, she not keep up the list very good". She never has.

SUX4U
02-16-2013, 08:26 PM
It is sad....I really wanted to be a member of the team....Tried quite a few times before finally successfully completing the Pilot assesment and the rest of the process...

You finally get to interview after having done the research, lining up recs from Virgin LCA and Sim Instructors, flew on the product, believed in the philosophy, etc...

What is HR's Agenda?
What happened to the days when the recs from the PEOPLE who you will be flying with, and have flown with before, that are Senior Virgin Pilots now, have NO WEIGHT in the selection process...

You jump through all the hoops, comply with everyone of HR's requests, present yourself as the consumate team player, and demonstrate this, with confidance, for over 7 hours of the interview process, having high hopes that by chance you feel that you have finally made it to being a part of a quality family.....only to be blown off....

I hold no grudges...that's what aviation has become....

I just wish I knew what HR wants of you and why the voices of their OWN Pilots count for NOTHING....

To my Virgin mentors that gave me solid recs...I Thank You All for believing in me....I only wish HR could hear your voices.

Seriously what is wrong with you? You post this as if you got burned then later on you post a question if anyone from your interview group got shot down? Chicken before the egg man... Why are you cursing the system before you know if you got hired or not? And by the way...the 6th of feb was a weds not a Thursday.

ShyGuy
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Per Mark at least 16 UAL guys left. I spoke with 5 guys personally who went to other carriers, Spirit, Jetblue, Fedex. There's a reason were hiring 20.

Well? Is it too much to ask for an up to date list? Also note that for the first time (at least since I've been here) I saw the Feb 1 seniority list with all pilots A-L-M-T, active, leave, management, and training pilots. Otherwise, the lists that normally get posted are active and leave only pilots (A-L).

I think we should have an ALL pilot list updated every month (A-L-M-T).

Moby Dick
02-17-2013, 08:04 AM

If that's the same Cici I'm thinking of, not even YOU guys deserve that!

ShyGuy
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM
If that's the same Cici I'm thinking of, not even YOU guys deserve that!

LOL! She is ex-Alaska from what I hear.

jc23
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
I have no beef with VX (actually have close friends that work there), but a discussion I had the other day with one of the flight school employees lead me to believe there are some real issues at VX. The flight school employee's spouse works at VX and is a UAL furlough who is not happy there and is looking forward to the recall. The flight school employee actually told me that they recommend folks goto VX just to get their Type and move on. Is this just a UAL issue or is VX facing some real negative perception issues? I don't know very much about the company but was a bit taken back to hear this coupled with points made on this thread that validate the view that VX is a career stepping stone not a destination.

alphonso1
02-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Seriously what is wrong with you? You post this as if you got burned then later on you post a question if anyone from your interview group got shot down? Chicken before the egg man... Why are you cursing the system before you know if you got hired or not? And by the way...the 6th of feb was a weds not a Thursday.

First Of All...NOBODY is CURSING the system....So don't be accusatory....makes you seem like an ASS...

Second Of All...Chicken before the Egg, Cart before the Horse, call it whatever you want, the BOTTOM Line is that I found out from 2 people in my group from that day----2 people got the call---The rest of us got nothing....

I think it's pretty OBVIOUS what one can infer from that...

SOME COMMUNICATION on our outcome would have been nice....

It's called "Transparency"...But, Like I said, " That's Aviation ", I Hold NO Grudges....

atr42flyer
02-17-2013, 03:24 PM
First Of All...NOBODY is CURSING the system....So don't be accusatory....makes you seem like an ASS...

Second Of All...Chicken before the Egg, Cart before the Horse, call it whatever you want, the BOTTOM Line is that I found out from 2 people in my group from that day----2 people got the call---The rest of us got nothing....

It's called "Transparency"...But, Like I said, " That's Aviation ", I Hold NO Grudges....

Alphonso,

there is something seriously wrong with you. Your were at Republic right? or did you get fired from there? I have looked through your previous posts and you always seem to state how gung ho you are about a particular airline then dont get the job and appear to show your true colors.

maybe you didnt get hired because your attitude sucks and you feel entitled to everything?

you should look in the mirror and do some soul searching.

okbk
02-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I have no beef with VX (actually have close friends that work there), but a discussion I had the other day with one of the flight school employees lead me to believe there are some real issues at VX. The flight school employee's spouse works at VX and is a UAL furlough who is not happy there and is looking forward to the recall. The flight school employee actually told me that they recommend folks goto VX just to get their Type and move on. Is this just a UAL issue or is VX facing some real negative perception issues? I don't know very much about the company but was a bit taken back to hear this coupled with points made on this thread that validate the view that VX is a career stepping stone not a destination.

Why not ask this question to your close friends that work at VX?

anyway, just going to VX to get an A320 type doesn't make much sense, unless you stay and get time in type to qualify for an overseas job and then it would be only SIC time. Also, the minimums are 4000TT, so most everyone hired has a good amount of experience and at least a decade in this industry. It's not like they are hiring 500hr flight school wonder pilots. Up until the announcement of slowing the AC orders and overall growth, VX had one of the quickest upgrades in the industry, that of course will now be longer and guys on the bottom may be looking at other opinions that will increase their QOL.

As far as the people that have left, they are UAL furloughs (which makes sense, I'd go back with that new contract and keeping my longevity), and the rest are FO's that have been hired mostly within the last year at VX. I know a couple that went to Spirit, Jetblue and USAir and for most the deciding factor was to no longer have the transcon commute and improve their QOL.

ShyGuy
02-17-2013, 04:49 PM

anyway, just going to VX to get an A320 type doesn't make much sense, unless you stay and get time in type to qualify for an overseas job and then it would be only SIC time. Also, the minimums are 4000TT, so most everyone hired has a good amount of experience and at least a decade in this industry. It's not like they are hiring 500hr flight school wonder pilots. Up until the announcement of slowing the AC orders and overall growth, VX had one of the quickest upgrades in the industry, that of course will now be longer and guys on the bottom may be looking at other opinions that will increase their QOL.

As far as the people that have left, they are UAL furloughs (which makes sense, I'd go back with that new contract and keeping my longevity), and the rest are FO's that have been hired mostly within the last year at VX. I know a couple that went to Spirit, Jetblue and USAir and for most the deciding factor was to no longer have the transcon commute and improve their QOL.

^
|
|
|
This. +1

ShyGuy
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

If you have actually interviewed, you will hear something back. Either to go take the drug test, or thanks but no thanks email. If you didn't get hired, you should be getting an email.

Flitestar
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
What if you didn't make the cut on the online test? Would they let you know also?

aviatorpr
02-17-2013, 09:18 PM
What if you didn't make the cut on the online test? Would they let you know also?

They will not

jc23
02-18-2013, 06:10 AM

I did, and they gave me a similar answer to what you stated below. They don't commute, both live in domicile and are happy with QOL but not the financial situation of the company or it's future.

Lots of Airbus aircraft here in the U.S. not just overseas, the point being, goto VX to get the experience in the Bus to set u up for a better paying flying job, at least that's how I understood it.

I can understand leaving for UAL or USAir, but the other airlines you mentioned are lateral moves IMO. At any rate, just strange to hear flight school folks recommending this.

Jett i son
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
A sophisticated hiring process by experienced personnel, can implement hiring practices to avoid the potential loss of pilots to other airlines.
When, and if, this becomes a priority, the hiring selection criteria will adjust accordingly.
Although, no expert could predict, with high accuracy, the probability of a new hire retiring with the airline, there are certainly parameters to separate the "higher risk" candidates.
Is this in your recent experience the case for VX?
Does it seem that the hiring selection is focusing more on retention, than in the past?
Thank you for your constructive input.

okbk
02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Lots of Airbus aircraft here in the U.S. not just overseas, the point being, goto VX to get the experience in the Bus to set u up for a better paying flying job, at least that's how I understood it.

The logic behind this would be for someone with low time and not lots of experience. By the time you meet the mins for VX you meet the mins for all the other majors hiring and are most likely a regional Captain, Furloughie from an ACMI (heavy intl. time), etc. At this point in the game it wouldn't make sense to go to VX to get some SIC in an A320 just to add to your resume, at least in my opinion. In fact, if you were anywhere but on furlough and your goal was to fly at one of the other majors I would stick with your current gig and patiently wait for the hiring to increase due to the upcoming retirements and market yourself as much as possible (job fairs,connections,etc).

I can understand leaving for UAL or USAir, but the other airlines you mentioned are lateral moves IMO. At any rate, just strange to hear flight school folks recommending this.

Why yes it is somewhat a lateral move to those specific other airlines, you have to understand that the guys that are going there are going because quality of life issues. Most of those guys live out on the East Coast where VX has no base (JFK too small/senior to be an option) and the weekly commute to the west coast is either too hard on themselves or their family. If they can get a job where they can have a base at least in the same time zone, and improve the QOL for their family, then it makes complete sense to make the move. Add the fact that they are on 1st year pay, the financial impact is minimal on this type of lateral move.

As far as what the "Flight School" folks are saying, I wouldn't take it too seriously. What is happening right now in the industry and what the industry will be like when those flight school folks are qualified for the major's, it will be completely different.

atooraya
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Who, in their right mind, would leave a regional at most likely captain pay, to go back to $44/hr at a 60 hour guarantee during training, while paying to stay at a crashpad or a hotel. Then on top of that, sit reserve!

If you're going to Virgin/Spirit/JetBlue/Allegiant to go get a type rating to be more marketable to the majors, you've got some serious issues. Unless you maybe enjoy 121 training, along with the stress involved of type rides.

ThrustMonkey
02-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Who, in their right mind, would leave a regional at most likely captain pay, to go back to $44/hr at a 60 hour guarantee during training, while paying to stay at a crashpad or a hotel. Then on top of that, sit reserve!

If you're going to Virgin/Spirit/JetBlue/Allegiant to go get a type rating to be more marketable to the majors, you've got some serious issues. Unless you maybe enjoy 121 training, along with the stress involved of type rides.

Because I live in San Francisco, currently commute to ORD for a not so great regional and my qol will improve tremendously, even if initially based in lax. I also believe in the product and like that everyone I've come in contact at VX seems happy, upbeat and encouraging.

atooraya
02-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Because I live in San Francisco, currently commute to ORD for a not so great regional and my qol will improve tremendously, even if initially based in lax. I also believe in the product and like that everyone I've come in contact at VX seems happy, upbeat and encouraging.
Maybe I wasn't clear on my post. I'm saying it's ridiculous to leave your regional you're at to join VX/NK/JB with the intentions of getting a type rating to leave within a year.

For you, it would be good for you to join VX. However, for people saying to go to VX to get the type so they can leave, it's ludicrous, a waste of time for the people at the airlines, and unfair to the people who actually want the position.

Max Glide
02-19-2013, 01:40 PM

That would be ‘someone like me’.

Flying for an airline to earn money is not my main purpose: my main job is something completely different and earns me more money [more money than any major airline would EVER be able to offer me in any position in any seniority] the moment I log on to a ‘certain’ server in my pajamas.

Fair number of companies I work for are located in SFO and SEA area!

Contrary to what many of you believe, there is a certain percentage of pilots for whom working for Legacy carriers is not a goal!

Max Glide
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Quality of life and time off means more to me than what I make at any given airline! I am sure there are few others for whom the same applies.

680crewchief
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM

I had a conversation like this with a Mesa RJ captain. I was pondering the reason anybody would leave RJ captain pay for first year major pay. He said, "Pay cut for the ex-wife.'

Classic

Lone Palm
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Flying for an airline to earn money is not my main purpose: my main job is something completely different and earns me more money [more money than any major airline would EVER be able to offer me in any position in any seniority] the moment I log on to a ‘certain’ server in my pajamas.

Contrary to what many of you believe, there is a certain percentage of pilots for whom working for Legacy carriers is not a goal!

Why not just rent an airplane on the side once in awhile then? No crew scheduling, no overnights, etc.

Columbia
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Why not just rent an airplane on the side once in awhile then? No crew scheduling, no overnights, etc.

Lol, no kidding. For someone who claims to make over $500K/year part time, flying as an FO 80 hours a month, away from home 15+ days a month and making $50K a year is not quite tellimgthe truth. ;)

atooraya
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM

I can't go back and edit my post. I think Virgin would be great to work for, but my point is that it's not a place to leave your regional to go get a type rating to leave! It's sad that people are associating Virgin America as a stepping stone.

PCLCREW
02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
I can't go back and edit my post. I think Virgin would be great to work for, but my point is that it's not a place to leave your regional to go get a type rating to leave! It's sad that people are associating Virgin America as a stepping stone.

Whats sad is these people are doing this BS and blocking up the system for people that would actually like to stay at a place like Virgin... I have no desire to work for a UAL, DAL etc... Same is going on at Spirit.. 25 year old RJ capt "Im gonna go over to Spirit and get an Airbus type and some time and go to AA when they open"..

OCCP
02-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm right there with you pclcrew. I would love to work for a smaller company and just stay put. I'm not really a fan of constantly changing jobs and the thought of working for a super sized airline never really interested me. Some of the things that really impressed me about Virgin America is everyone seemed happy and everyone seemed to know each other.

ducdriver
02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm right there with you pclcrew. I would love to work for a smaller company and just stay put. I'm not really a fan of constantly changing jobs and the thought of working for a super sized airline never really interested me. Some of the things that really impressed me about Virgin America is everyone seemed happy and everyone seemed to know each other.

Reminds me of when I was flying the tail in your avatar.

cactusmike
02-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Sounds like porn does pay.

WIFlyer
02-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Anyone know average time between the interview and the email for the drug test or the thanks but no thanks?

sailingfun
02-23-2013, 06:26 AM

I would keep in mind where VA fits into the long term plans with Delta, Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia.

clipperskipper
02-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Does anyone know if VX will non-rev you out of a gateway city for the interview? I have a corporate buddy who was invited next week, and she's not in CASS.

atr42flyer
02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Does anyone know if VX will non-rev you out of a gateway city for the interview? I have a corporate buddy who was invited next week, and she's not in CASS.

we will take anyone, even without a reciprocal agreement. you do not need to have cass for a seat in the back.

now having said that, its a captains discretion and you have to convince the gate agent. we don't have a lot of people who do the walk to the gate area to look for jumpseaters.

the company will not provide space available accommodations to get you to the interview. your on your own. good luck

cmrflyer
02-23-2013, 07:33 AM
email the company and tell them you are not CASS, they will give you a ticket on Virgin, they do it all the time.

ShyGuy
02-23-2013, 09:21 PM
They can set up a non-rev pass out of a VX city. Also, even if she is a corporate pilot, as long as she brings her ID, passport, and tells the gate agent she'd like to jumpseat and that her carrier is not CASS, she should be able to ride in the back. We take non-reciprocating airlines and corporate companies, at Captain's discretion.

ShyGuy
02-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Anyone know average time between the interview and the email for the drug test or the thanks but no thanks?

It depends, it took 6 days for me. I've heard a recent story that an interview group still hadn't heard back for a long time (yay or nay) and they were pushing 2 weeks.

WIFlyer
02-24-2013, 04:16 AM
My friend interviewed there almost a week and a half ago. He hasn't heard anything yet. I think the classes are full until May or June. I don't know if they are doing several weeks of interviews to get the best for the next class.

OCCP
02-24-2013, 06:29 AM
It's been over two weeks for some.

Bbd2emb
02-24-2013, 06:56 AM
My friend interviewed there almost a week and a half ago. He hasn't heard anything yet. I think the classes are full until May or June. I don't know if they are doing several weeks of interviews to get the best for the next class.

I interviewed last week. From what I understand, March and April classes are filled. They don't know if and when they will open another class. Could be May or June. All the hiring they are doing right now is for a pool.

HercDriver130
02-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Had a friend recently hired into the pool.

ShyGuy
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Next class March 6 has 6 pilots. :)

akaviator
02-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Received my drug test email yesterday.

NedsKid
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Same is going on at Spirit.. 25 year old RJ capt "Im gonna go over to Spirit and get an Airbus type and some time and go to AA when they open"..

Very few are leaving Spirit right now. We're not hiring a lot of 25 year olds either - its hard to get 4000 hours by age 25. Not sure where you're getting your info from.

We have and continue to see a couple VA guys in our new hire classes though.

JoeyMeatballs
03-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Very few are leaving Spirit right now. We're not hiring a lot of 25 year olds either - its hard to get 4000 hours by age 25. Not sure where you're getting your info from.

There was a VA guy in my interview group, I believe he got hired.

Besides I have a few friends that got hired at Airways with ZERO TPIC, I'm pretty sure you won't need an A-320 type to get hired there

akaviator
03-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Any information on the February meeting yet?

ShyGuy
03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Any information on the February meeting yet?

Yes. Pay raises and work rule changes to be announced later today.

akaviator
03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Yes. Pay raises and work rule changes to be announced later today.

Nice! Congratulations, looking forward to hearing about the improvements!

portfo
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Am I reading this correctly that VX does not pay for a hotel during your training?? Thanks.

akaviator
03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Am I reading this correctly that VX does not pay for a hotel during your training?? Thanks.

That's how I understand it. Once I get a class date I'm going to start searching for my "home away from home" room to rent for training and the time I'll spend on reserve.

NotTellin
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Who, in their right mind, would leave a regional at most likely captain pay, to go back to $44/hr at a 60 hour guarantee during training, while paying to stay at a crashpad or a hotel.

As of 4/1/13 it's $49 an hour and has always been 70 hrs. guarantee.

As for not paying for hotel, I've worked for 2 different major airlines that did not pay for lodging during training. It's a very common industry practice.

Pogey Bait
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
That's how I understand it. Once I get a class date I'm going to start searching for my "home away from home" room to rent for training and the time I'll spend on reserve.

Is this true? No hotel is provided during training? Can someone please confirm this?

ShyGuy
03-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Spirit requires 3000 total, not 4000 (that's "preferred").

What about the 21-22 yr old ERAU graduates from a couple years ago? They had to have 4,000 hours but only 250 hrs Commercial/Instrument/ME ratings and the other 3,750 hrs were Microsoft Flight Simulator. ;)

ShyGuy
03-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Is this true? No hotel is provided during training? Can someone please confirm this?

Unfortunately, this is true. Immediately upon being hired, you are considered SFO based for all practical purposes for new hire training, and therefore in base, you are responsible for your own lodging. I'm not saying it's right, but this is the reason why.

The Red Roof used to have a great deal of 10 nights for $450. This is a 10 minute walk from the company HQs. That deal is no longer available. Your best bet are the craspads in the North Park apartments in Burlingame. You can land one for about $300/month for trainees, 250 for reserves, about 220-230 for lineholders. This apartment complex is about a 25 minute walk to the headquarters. I've heard some use a bicycle and do it in 10-15 minutes.

As for pay in training it is not a function of hourly rate or guarantee. It is a fixed payment of $2,500 a month. It sucks, but it's competitive or higher than what the similar competition offers (Spirit, Frontier).

frozenboxhauler
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM

atooraya, I did. FedEx has NEVER paid for hotels or perdiem during initial training. I stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott for about 2 1/2 months.
Training pay was, AND STILL, is $2000/month until activated and then $33/hour ( at the time) for the remainder of the first year.
Don't be so short-sighted, it was the best $2,500 bucks I've ever spent!
fbh

atooraya
03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
As of 4/1/13 it's $49 an hour and has always been 70 hrs. guarantee.

As for not paying for hotel, I've worked for 2 different major airlines that did not pay for lodging during training. It's a very common industry practice.

atooraya, I did. FedEx has NEVER paid for hotels or perdiem during initial training. I stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott for about 2 1/2 months.
Training pay was, AND STILL, is $2000/month until activated and then $33/hour ( at the time) for the remainder of the first year.
Don't be so short-sighted, it was the best $2,500 bucks I've ever spent!
fbh

I already addressed this before, before I got quoted again.

I said who would go to another airline, at that low of pay, to just get a type rating, and then leave.

Imapilot2
03-13-2013, 03:48 AM
I already addressed this before, before I got quoted again.

I said who would go to another airline, at that low of pay, to just get a type rating, and then leave.

People who want to try 30 year careers at DAL, UAL or AA and don't want to get Comaired or Pinnacled.;)

Pogey Bait
03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
If you are furloughed, does VX make you resign your sorority at your current airline?

gloopy
03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
If you are furloughed, does VX make you resign your sorority at your current airline?

No. You can absolutely stay in your sorority.

Geardownflaps30
03-13-2013, 12:03 PM
No. You can absolutely stay in your sorority.

What about fraternities?

block30
03-13-2013, 12:21 PM

Do they have flow through rights to sororities?

atooraya
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
People who want to try 30 year careers at DAL, UAL or AA and don't want to get Comaired or Pinnacled.;)

You'd forfeit $40,000/yr to go from the left seat of a regional to go to the right seat of a LCC just to get a type rating to put on your resume, in an attempt to MAYBE get hired at a Legacy?

Why not just wait for the Legacies to start hiring? Or go buy your type, like everyone else did who went to Southwest.

pilotlbs
03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
You'd forfeit $40,000/yr to go from the left seat of a regional to go to the right seat of a LCC just to get a type rating to put on your resume, in an attempt to MAYBE get hired at a Legacy?

Why not just wait for the Legacies to start hiring? Or go buy your type, like everyone else did who went to Southwest.
You'll make a lot more than 40k down the road if it pays off. If not, you'll be flying the Bus with a great schedule making more money in the long run (if they stay in business). I was told by a high up at Delta that they look for experience, education, and career progression. There are A LOT of RJ Captains out there. It's kinda hard to stick out when everyone has the same résumé. But to each their own!

seattlepilot
03-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Does anyone have a study guide or anything to prepare for the online quiz? I went through it twice and still no response from the hr. I am a west coast guy and wouldnt mind hanging my hat in va.

BALZAHARI
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
If you are furloughed, VX does make you resign.

AtlCSIP
03-14-2013, 06:21 AM

We have been waiting for the legacies to hire for a long time, which has resulted in stagnation across the industry. If I stay where I am and fly 200 hours a year or 1000 hours a year, I won't be any better off in 2 years than I am now. If I went to VX, I would be, whether I stayed there or went elsewhere after VX. Not to mention that buying a type can actually work against you when the recruiter thinks that Southwest is your first choice and that you are just applying at DL, AA, UA, etc... because Southwest didn't call.

maddogbjb68
03-14-2013, 07:03 AM
I have the online assessment for Virgin. I have not taken it yet and would like to know what its about before I do. Does anyone have any info? Thanks.

4andCounting
03-14-2013, 08:18 AM
The assessment is a combination math/logic exam and personality eval. Think one train leaves St. Louis at 60mph at 5:00pm meets, what's your favorite color.

Don't bother studying, it really won't help. Just be careful. Each individual logic question has a 2 minute limit. Be prepared with calculator and scratch paper. It was by far the most annoying test I've ever taken. I have no idea how I passed.

portfo
03-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Look up LSAT type questions. Study some of those to give you an idea how to approach the questions on the assessment.... Have fun.

maddogbjb68
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
4and counting and portfo. Thanks guys!

RJtrashPilot
03-15-2013, 10:34 AM
I have heard through some channels here that on the assessment they aren't really looking at the logic part all that closely, but it's the personality section that really matters. The logic section is intentionally made to be where you need to be an MIT professor to answer it to see how you end up answering the personality questions. If the logic test frustrates you and pi$$es you off, then it'll show in the personality section.

I don't know if that is accurate but that's what I've been told. So take it for what it's worth.

smithwales
03-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I applied online just now and got this response after finishing:

As part of the application process you are required to take a third party assessment which our records indicate that you have already taken.

I haven't taken ANY online assessment!! Has anyone seen this before? I haven't applied before and just to make sure looked at my email history. I created the profile a few days ago and uploaded my resume and cover letter tonight. Was my profile so bad that this canned response was automatic?:eek:

RJtrashPilot
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I can't recall if your profile is based on your email address or not; however I believe that it is. So perhaps you could reapply by making a new profile using a different email address. It's worth a shot.

Columbia
03-16-2013, 05:06 AM

As part of the application process you are required to take a third party assessment which our records indicate that you have already taken.

I haven't taken ANY online assessment!! Has anyone seen this before? I haven't applied before and just to make sure looked at my email history. I created the profile a few days ago and uploaded my resume and cover letter tonight. Was my profile so bad that this canned response was automatic?:eek:

I took it for you, but didn't do so well. Sorry. :D

Reggie Dunlop
03-16-2013, 06:02 AM
If you are furloughed, VX does make you resign.

Perhaps it would be worth digging a little deeper. It did not seem to be an issue with the Abex and United pilots who chose to accept recall to their respective carriers.

I do not think it is quite so cut and dried as stated above. A forum such as this is a very sketchy place to get this kind of information.

RJtrashPilot
03-16-2013, 06:36 AM
Perhaps it would be worth digging a little deeper. It did not seem to be an issue with the Abex and United pilots who chose to accept recall to their respective carriers.

I do not think it is quite so cut and dried as stated above. A forum such as this is a very sketchy place to get this kind of information.

It is sort of true. On day 1 of ground school, HR comes in and makes everyone write up a letter resigning their seniority numbers from their previous carrier, regardless of whether you quit outright or were furloughed.

As I understand it, however, as evidenced in the ABX and United examples, most airlines don't recognize "forced resignation" letters from other airlines, hence the furloughed folks were able to return. I know for a fact at my two previous airlines, if the chief pilot received a resignation letter from any pilot on furlough, it went right into the paper shredder.

Pogey Bait
03-16-2013, 06:45 AM

I don't remember seeing that. Maybe try using a different email address, if you can, and reapply.

gloopy
03-16-2013, 09:49 AM
It is sort of true. On day 1 of ground school, HR comes in and makes everyone write up a letter resigning their seniority numbers from their previous carrier, regardless of whether you quit outright or were furloughed.

As I understand it, however, as evidenced in the ABX and United examples, most airlines don't recognize "forced resignation" letters from other airlines, hence the furloughed folks were able to return. I know for a fact at my two previous airlines, if the chief pilot received a resignation letter from any pilot on furlough, it went right into the paper shredder.

Yeah I think DL is the only "major" that honors those letters. All the rest realize that you are just trying to make a living and the letter was obviously written under extreme duress and they don't honor it. If DL ever furloughs again I hope they follow the positive example by UAL and many others of protectecting their pilots like that in a way that's free, easy and the right thing to do.

Reggie Dunlop
03-16-2013, 05:16 PM
It is sort of true....

Good scoop...Thanks.

hoodabundy
03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
How long after the assessment should you hear something from VA?

akaviator
03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
How long after the assessment should you hear something from VA?

My timeline:
Completed app and precursor 1/21, 15 days later received 2nd email with questionnaire. Interviewed 9 days later, received "good news" email 13 days later.

Pirate
03-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Can anyone at Virgin comment about your ESOP? I've seen that 16.7% is reserved for the employees when you go public. Not sure how this works. Is that an even disribution across all employees? Regardless of how long you've been at the company? Do you have to have been on property for and predefined period of time? If you believe in the company is there an option to buy more options of your own?

Pirate
03-28-2013, 07:49 AM
From the APC site I see that "Each hour above 80/mo paid at 125%". If you work on a day off is it as simple as strait time, if below 80 hours for the month, or 125% if above 80 hours for the month? Is there ever an opportunity to fly for more than 125% pay as an incentive to come to work and cover open lines?

ShyGuy
03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Can anyone at Virgin comment about your ESOP? I've seen that 16.7% is reserved for the employees when you go public. Not sure how this works. Is that an even disribution across all employees? Regardless of how long you've been at the company? Do you have to have been on property for and predefined period of time? If you believe in the company is there an option to buy more options of your own?

Not sure of the split method, but I believe (so far) it's a even split regardless of how long on property.

From the APC site I see that "Each hour above 80/mo paid at 125%". If you work on a day off is it as simple as strait time, if below 80 hours for the month, or 125% if above 80 hours for the month? Is there ever an opportunity to fly for more than 125% pay as an incentive to come to work and cover open lines?
Picking up on a day off is straight time. You have to hit 80 hrs first and then you get the 125% premium pay. Suppose I have a 75 hr line, and then pick up a 7.5 hr one day trip. My premium portion (125%) will be for 2.5 hrs. Monthly pay 82.5 + .63 in this case.

You can put yourself on will-fly status on a day off (***) but they will use reserves before *** because *** get premium pay 125%. Other than that, when VX gets desperate on a certain date(s), they'll send an email out saying if you pickup on (whatever date they specify) then you get premium pay. That will pay 125% on what ever trip you add on those desperate day(s).

ShyGuy
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Willing-to-Fly is W-T-F but apparently you can't write that without the hyphen because *** doesn't pass the filter here.

Busdriver320
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Not sure of the split method, but I believe (so far) it's a even split regardless of how long on property.

While no one knows for sure because the exact formula has never been divulged, this is likely not true. As originally announced at an All-Hands Meeting (I was on the call), there would be a sliding scale based on how long you'd been at the company. Specific examples were shown that included longevity, i.e., "Captain that's been at the company 5 years....$xx,xxx".

And there is no way anyone is getting it in the form of stock shares to be sold at their discretion, despite this being asked over and over and over. The BOD will choose when and at what price to sell the stock, and the pool of proceeds will be split using the magical secret formula.

Pirate
03-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Picking up on a day off is straight time. You have to hit 80 hrs first and then you get the 125% premium pay. Suppose I have a 75 hr line, and then pick up a 7.5 hr one day trip. My premium portion (125%) will be for 2.5 hrs. Monthly pay 82.5 + .63 in this case.

You can put yourself on will-fly status on a day off (***) but they will use reserves before *** because *** get premium pay 125%. Other than that, when VX gets desperate on a certain date(s), they'll send an email out saying if you pickup on (whatever date they specify) then you get premium pay. That will pay 125% on what ever trip you add on those desperate day(s).

Thanks, SG. Too funny about *** (this is a test!).

Pirate
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
While no one knows for sure because the exact formula has never been divulged, this is likely not true. As originally announced at an All-Hands Meeting (I was on the call), there would be a sliding scale based on how long you'd been at the company. Specific examples were shown that included longevity, i.e., "Captain that's been at the company 5 years....$xx,xxx".

And there is no way anyone is getting it in the form of stock shares to be sold at their discretion, despite this being asked over and over and over. The BOD will choose when and at what price to sell the stock, and the pool of proceeds will be split using the magical secret formula.

Thanks, BusDriver.

Pirate
03-28-2013, 03:15 PM
...is there an option to buy more options of your own?

Unlike an ESPP, it doesn't sound like this is an option?

ShyGuy
03-28-2013, 04:55 PM

The same conference call where all 5 aircraft this year were coming and paid for? I wouldn't put too much faith in anything yet on the order of this magnitude (ESOP split).

Busdriver320
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
The same conference call where all 5 aircraft this year were coming and paid for? I wouldn't put too much faith in anything yet on the order of this magnitude (ESOP split).

Way before your time here junior. Why don't you stick to what you know in the 13 months you've been here.

brianb
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Way before your time here junior. Why don't you stick to what you know in the 13 months you've been here.
Regardless, I wouldn't put any kind of faith in this management team to do the right thing when it comes time to split the pot. It is a poorly set up program ( so far), that does nothing more then enrich the top dogs and leave scraps for the rest. Now, if they restructure how the current plan is laid out, it might do a lot to make people "whole" here, if you know what I mean. Lets hope for the best.

Busdriver320
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Regardless, I wouldn't put any kind of faith in this management team to do the right thing when it comes time to split the pot. It is a poorly set up program ( so far), that does nothing more then enrich the top dogs and leave scraps for the rest. Now, if they restructure how the current plan is laid out, it might do a lot to make people "whole" here, if you know what I mean. Lets hope for the best.

Not sure what you mean here Brian. Are you saying it should be split evenly regardless of how long someone's been here? If so, I disagree. The people that came early took a big risk and started at the lowest rates. Along the way, there were raises and the discontinuation of going back to 1st year pay when upgrading. I'm not necessarily talking about pre-launch people only, but anyone who came here in 2008/09-ish. Why should a recently hired FO, or ITM, or GST get the same payout as someone here during the first two precarious years?
I hear you on making people whole!

As for how it's structured, I don't know how long you've been here or know the history, but the 16% (or whatever it is) came about as a result of AK, ALPA, and TWU suing to make sure we were a legit U.S. company. All of a sudden the employees get a stake they didn't have before, along with some other things mgmt had to do to be deemed legit?? Sounds an awful lot like the DOJ, under political pressure to save the existing jobs, said something like "give the employees a stake, plus X, plus Y, and you are legal". And FWIW, I believe the terms under which we got the stake and how it would be cashed-out and divided was set as part of that whole agreement, at least that's what DC made it out to be in that original AHM where it was revealed.

ShyGuy
03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Nice condescending tone.

Originally Posted by Busdriver320
While no one knows for sure because the exact formula has never been divulged, this is likely not true.
So you don't know, but you are willing to put others down for their opinion? I agree the split should be time-dependant for length served, but no one knows what the split method is. IMO, you should get more than I, and I should get more than someone hired in 2013.

The proposed new ownership structure will reflect a change among Virgin America’s U.S. investors and also allow the Company’s teammates to participate in the airline’s future via an Employee LLC. Under the new structure, the airline’s voting stock will remain in its previous configuration with 75 percent held by the U.S.-based VAI Partners, LLC and 25 percent held by Virgin Group. However, the U.S. investors comprising VAI Partners will change with the following entities now comprising the VAI stake:

Cyrus Aviation Investor, LLC – 55.5 percent
VAI MBO Investors, LLC—27.8 percent
VX Employee Holdings, LLC—16.7 percent
VAI Management, LLC—less than 1 percent
Cyrus Aviation Investor, LLC is an entity related to long-time Virgin America investor, Cyrus Capital. Under the new structure it will substantially increase its investment to become the airline’s principal U.S. investor.

VAI MBO Investors, LLC is comprised of five individual investors. Four of the investors, Don Carty, Sam Skinner, Cyrus Freidheim, and David Cush, are current Virgin America Board members, and a fifth, Robert Nickell, will assume a Board seat at the closing of this transaction.

VX Employee Holdings, LLC is an entity established to hold the economic value of 16.7 percent of VAI for distribution to the employees of Virgin America at the time of a qualified liquidity event, such as an initial public offering.

“Given that our success to date is due to the efforts of this entrepreneurial start-up team, we are pleased that our teammates will now have a stake in the financial success of our airline,” added Cush.

brianb
03-30-2013, 12:59 AM
Not sure what you mean here Brian. Are you saying it should be split evenly regardless of how long someone's been here? If so, I disagree. The people that came early took a big risk and started at the lowest rates. Along the way, there were raises and the discontinuation of going back to 1st year pay when upgrading. I'm not necessarily talking about pre-launch people only, but anyone who came here in 2008/09-ish. Why should a recently hired FO, or ITM, or GST get the same payout as someone here during the first two precarious years?
I hear you on making people whole!

As for how it's structured, I don't know how long you've been here or know the history, but the 16% (or whatever it is) came about as a result of AK, ALPA, and TWU suing to make sure we were a legit U.S. company. All of a sudden the employees get a stake they didn't have before, along with some other things mgmt had to do to be deemed legit?? Sounds an awful lot like the DOJ, under political pressure to save the existing jobs, said something like "give the employees a stake, plus X, plus Y, and you are legal". And FWIW, I believe the terms under which we got the stake and how it would be cashed-out and divided was set as part of that whole agreement, at least that's what DC made it out to be in that original AHM where it was revealed.
For what its worth, I have been here a little over four years and I agree with you that longevity should be rewarded. I just want to make sure , or hope, that whatever plan they come up with recognizes the hard work and commitment that we have all put fourth to make this a great company.

putzin
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
For what its worth, I have been here a little over four years and I agree with you that longevity should be rewarded. I just want to make sure , or hope, that whatever plan they come up with recognizes the hard work and commitment that we have all put fourth to make this a great company.

Haha. I don't think they recognize to much of what the pilots do. Check out the new salesforce youtube video, specifically around 55 seconds to 1:08. Apparently AA pilots are more worthy to be in our video than our own pilots. Not that I would expect to much considering we wear one of the worst excuses for a uniform around. Of course our "actual" inflight graces our presence.

No, it really doesn't matter that we're not in the video. Just thought it funny.

Virgin America Makes Travel More Social with Salesforce Chatter - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3B8YYBKsS8)

Enjoy or not.

WarrenWallace
04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I am glad they are hiring again but after being on the charter side for the last 7 years its a worthy pay cut to get my life back.

kais
04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
How much longer will hiring continue?

akaviator
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM
The last I heard was classes running through July.

Busdriver320
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Nice condescending tone.

So you don't know, but you are willing to put others down for their opinion? I agree the split should be time-dependant for length served, but no one knows what the split method is.

Okay, maybe a little harsh, but let's dissect this...
Replying to someone who wants to know about the IPO method, you wrote:

As someone clearly here much longer than yourself (note the reference to the ORIGINAL AH call, some 3+ years ago) where this was explained, along with PP slides showing examples, I wrote:

Yet you felt it appropriate to shoot me down by referencing an unrelated conf call and add your opinion:

To which I replied:

Instead of clarifying what I was referring to, you discount the possibility that someone else has seen and heard more specifics about this issue than you. You: maybe 2-3 AH calls and maybe 1 Refresh since you've been here? Me: Probably 10+ AH calls and 4+ RF's.

Yes, no one outside senior mgmt and the BOD knows the exact formula for determining the IPO payouts, but it IS known to them and it WAS made clear (to me anyway) that the structure was set in place at the genesis of VX Employees LLC. And BTW, this is NOT an ESOP (employee stock ownership plan), as the employees will never see one controlling share of the stock, period. Senior mgmt and the BOD have sole controlling authority over VX Employees LLC shares, and will decide when to sell those shares at whatever price they deem appropriate. This was stated almost verbatim in the ORIGINAL AHC. The employees will only share in the proceeds of that sale, and as originally put forth to the employees it will be based on length of service.

Friendly tip: when someone whose been around longer than you (obvious from the reference to the original AH call) posits a theory, don't play know-it-all on a web board.

Peace

kais
04-02-2013, 06:19 PM
The last I heard was classes running through July.

Thanks dude. Any other intell on this?

ShyGuy
04-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Not know it all, I wrote clearly:

"Originally Posted by ShyGuy
Not sure of the split method, but I believe (so far) it's a even split regardless of how long on property."

Not sure and I believe.

I didn't mean to negatively shoot you down. The all hands comment on 5 planes coming was suppose to be tongue in cheek kinda thing. Meaning how they keep saying certain things (5 planes paid and coming, and profitability but still not achieved).

smeltz71
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Anyone get an email with a pilot questionnaire on it in the last day or two?

ShyGuy
04-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Anyone get an email with a pilot questionnaire on it in the last day or two?
If you got the questionnaire, that's the good news. Should be getting an interview email when you return the questionnaire.

smeltz71
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
If you got the questionnaire, that's the good news. Should be getting an interview email when you return the questionnaire.

Good news. Thank you.

Aviatormar
04-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Just a quick question, on average how long are people sitting reserve? Also how is the crashpad situation in the SFO or LAX area? NYC is super senior as I understand it, so how long would it be to hold reserve there? Thanks!

Purple Drank
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks dude. Any other intell on this?
kais = knots air indicated speed?

KingAirPIC
04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Good news. Thank you.

Not a guarantee. I got the questionnaire a few weeks ago and haven't heard a peep unfortunately.

smeltz71
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM

You were right Shy. I sent the questionnaire back this morning and got the email within 30 minutes telling me that they'll be setting up interview dates. Thanks for the info.

smeltz71
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Not a guarantee. I got the questionnaire a few weeks ago and haven't heard a peep unfortunately.

KingAir...I received the questionnaire when I was getting ready to leave Japan and come home. I replied to the woman who sent it to tell her I'd complete and submit it as soon as I got home. I immediatly received an "Out of Office" reply with a different contact to use. So I put both contacts on the email when I sent the questionnaire back. The other person is the one who replied. You may be waiting for someone to get back to work for your reply. Hang in there. Good luck!

Pogey Bait
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
deleted. wrong post

ShyGuy
04-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Send it in again. You should have heard something. Unless you really screwed something up by answering a question the wrong way. I would send it again.

ShyGuy
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Just a quick question, on average how long are people sitting reserve? Also how is the crashpad situation in the SFO or LAX area? NYC is super senior as I understand it, so how long would it be to hold reserve there? Thanks!

It's hard to say. That is always dependant on guys under you (newhire classes). We've had two classes of ~6 in March and the same in April. Prior to the March class, the last class was Sept 2012. Those guys have been on reserve the whole time and with these people under them, they'll finally start moving along towards a line. When I was hired, hiring was in a strong swing and classes were running approx every two weeks. I only sat reserve for one month because by then there were enough newhires below me. If you are hired in the April class or later, I'd expect reserve for at least 8 months to a year, just to be realistic. It could be less, but again it depends on how many classes they have underneath you. I do not know what the class plan is beyond the April 15 class.

As for crashpads, SFO is cheaper than LAX. The SFO ones I know are 220-250/month and at LAX, I'm hearing about 300-350/month.

JFK is limited to 18 crews, so only 18 FOs there. Bottom barrel reserve FO, #18 himself was hired Jan 2012. The next two up were hired 10/2011, and then the next one up was hired Feb 2011. I do not know how many of those 18 are reserves, probably 2-3. It'd be a fair guess to say those 3 hired in 2/'12 and 10/'11 are reserve, and the most junior lineholder is the guy hired 02/'11. The moral of the story is if hired today, do not expect JFK anytime soon. Plan on being SFO or LAX.

putzin
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM

There is talk that JFK will expand due to the new rest rules. As for the when, Shy is right I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. It will most likely happen during implementation of the new rest rules around the beginning of next year.

Of course all of this is very "today" sort of answer. We have a long way to go and Virgin is far from being on solid ground. If for nothing else you need/want an Airbus type and some time, Virgin is a great place to get it. The doors are starting to really open up around the world with this type and it is worth much more than Virgin will ever provide.

Good luck in your search.

KingAirPIC
04-06-2013, 10:19 AM
KingAir...I received the questionnaire when I was getting ready to leave Japan and come home. I replied to the woman who sent it to tell her I'd complete and submit it as soon as I got home. I immediatly received an "Out of Office" reply with a different contact to use. So I put both contacts on the email when I sent the questionnaire back. The other person is the one who replied. You may be waiting for someone to get back to work for your reply. Hang in there. Good luck!

Thanks. Maybe I'll send it in again.

gasnhaul
04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
You were right Shy. I sent the questionnaire back this morning and got the email within 30 minutes telling me that they'll be setting up interview dates. Thanks for the info.

Just curious, but how long ago did you apply? Also did you go to any of the job fairs?

Thx

smeltz71
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Just curious, but how long ago did you apply? Also did you go to any of the job fairs?

Thx

Gasnhaul - I applied in Feb (I think...so many apps). No job fairs and I don't know anyone there.

gasnhaul
04-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Gasnhaul - I applied in Feb (I think...so many apps). No job fairs and I don't know anyone there.

Cool, thanks for the info. Assuming I won't be hearing from them then.

Gas

Sailor
04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
On another note, seriously great job!

April 8 (Reuters) - Virgin America did the best job of flying customers last year while United Airlines was the worst, though passengers experienced overall better performance, a study showed. The performance of the 14 leading carriers in 2012 was about the same as the best year ever in 2011, according to the 23rd annual national Airline Quality Rating (AQR), which ranks airlines based on U.S. Department of Transportation figures.

http://mobile.reuters.com/

Tee1Up
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. Assuming I won't be hearing from them then.

Gas

Never assume. I didn't think I'd hear from them either. Interviewing this month.

4andCounting
04-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Another new hire class of six has been filled for May 1st. More classes planned for this summer due to attrition. It is also my guess that more hiring will take place for the new rest rules for this fall.

ShyGuy
04-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Another new hire class of six has been filled for May 1st. More classes planned for this summer due to attrition. It is also my guess that more hiring will take place for the new rest rules for this fall.

Good news! I hope the hiring keeps up! Lots of good people are applying, and hopefully the interviews continue. At this rate, the March class guys might even hold lines by summer. All it takes is 20-30 below you in SFO.

bluesideup1224
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
I took my assessment test in February and just got the follow up email. I did visit them at WIA :)

Tee1Up
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Awfully quiet in here....

4andCounting
05-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Not much to be talked about I guess. Everyone is waiting on numbers from forth quarter to be published. Hiring continues to cover attrition. New coo started recently, he's been pretty quiet. New pay rates started in April. Capts got $9 and fo's got $5 across the board. Few new cities are launching. Aus, ANC, and sjc.

That about covers current events.

Sailor
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Not much to be talked about I guess. Everyone is waiting on numbers from forth quarter to be published. Hiring continues to cover attrition. New coo started recently, he's been pretty quiet. New pay rates started in April. Capts got $9 and fo's got $5 across the board. Few new cities are launching. Aus, ANC, and sjc.

That about covers current events.

What's the first 2013 qtr expectation?

4andCounting
05-05-2013, 02:32 PM
It's still gonna be a loss but much less than less than last year. Rumor is single digit millions. But have not spoken directly to anyone in the know.

ShyGuy
05-05-2013, 03:31 PM
The 4th quarter numbers should be released before May 12 when the DOT releases airline 4th quarter results.

putzin
05-05-2013, 06:44 PM
First couple of classes didn't even cover attrition, net gain zero. Also know of at least 5 more getting ready to exit stage left, heading for Jetblue. Some great people, sorry to see them leave. New hires seem to be coming from the regionals mostly, plenty of koolaid drinking going on. Lower time, big heads, get what you pay for. Nothing that can't be taken care of.

15 upgrades in the fall, probably for expectation of FAR change in January, possible additional crews in JFK area.

Rumors of more airplanes and accelerating orders.

Blah, blah, blah.

ShyGuy
05-05-2013, 08:16 PM
First couple of classes didn't even cover attrition, net gain zero. Also know of at least 5 more getting ready to exit stage left, heading for Jetblue. Some great people, sorry to see them leave. New hires seem to be coming from the regionals mostly, plenty of koolaid drinking going on. Lower time, big heads, get what you pay for. Nothing that can't be taken care of.

15 upgrades in the fall, probably for expectation of FAR change in January, possible additional crews in JFK area.

Rumors of more airplanes and accelerating orders.

Blah, blah, blah.
Can you comment on the approx. seniority level of the guys leaving to JetBlue?

lolwut
05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
When is Virgin going to having RJ contract feed? You guys know its coming.

ShyGuy
05-05-2013, 09:23 PM
When is Virgin going to having RJ contract feed?
That wouldn't fit in with the current business model. It's mostly transcontinental flights with a large customer base out of SFO and LAX. I don't think VX would do well with 50 seat RJs out of Modesto or Stockton like United does. VX simply doesn't have the presence in small cities to justify regional feed. Heck, we aren't even connecting the dots on our route map (eg, ORD to DFW or JFK to FLL) because again the customer base isn't local to that area. So I really can't see RJs feeding from cities we have virtually no presence. As for larger RJs operated by VX itself (like how JetBlue operates the E190), I don't think that will be likely with JetBlue taking losses on the E190 fleet due to engines and maintenance.

You guys know its coming.
It's looks more likely when regional pilots bend over and accept concessions instead of having the guts to stand up and say no.

putzin
05-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Can you comment on the approx. seniority level of the guys leaving to JetBlue?

I'll see if I can find out.

putzin
05-06-2013, 03:31 AM
When is Virgin going to having RJ contract feed? You guys know its coming.

What Shy said.

teedog
05-06-2013, 04:09 AM
The 4th quarter numbers should be released before May 12 when the DOT releases airline 4th quarter results.

Dude you are way behind the times they are releasing 1 qtr of 2013 already. Whats up with your airline?

ibfurloughed
05-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Not a public company. Does not have the same reporting requirements as a public company.

Sailor
05-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Dude you are way behind the times they are releasing 1 qtr of 2013 already. Whats up with your airline?

Thats what i was wondering.
When I asked -what were the expectations for this first qtr?-

Roost
05-06-2013, 08:58 AM
One of them was a 1/24/11 DOH.

ShyGuy
05-06-2013, 09:15 AM
VX is a private company and doesn't release quarterly results until just days before the DOT releases them. The DOT is scheduled to release 4th quarter airline results on May 12, so expect VX to release them just before the DOT does. Similarly, the 1st quarter results won't be released until just days before the DOT releases them.

ShyGuy
05-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I'll see if I can find out.
Thanks, you can PM me.

lolwut
05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
That wouldn't fit in with the current business model. It's mostly transcontinental flights with a large customer base out of SFO and LAX. I don't think VX would do well with 50 seat RJs out of Modesto or Stockton like United does. VX simply doesn't have the presence in small cities to justify regional feed. Heck, we aren't even connecting the dots on our route map (eg, ORD to DFW or JFK to FLL) because again the customer base isn't local to that area. So I really can't see RJs feeding from cities we have virtually no presence. As for larger RJs operated by VX itself (like how JetBlue operates the E190), I don't think that will be likely with JetBlue taking losses on the E190 fleet due to engines and maintenance.

It's looks more likely when regional pilots bend over and accept concessions instead of having the guts to stand up and say no.

Thats the thing, sooner or later you run out of transcons you can run with an A320.

But there are plenty of second tier markets that can feed those transcons. Not with a CRJ-200... but an E-175 would probably fit the business model well. They're not going to be flown by VX pilots unless its at regional wages though.

ShyGuy
05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Thats the thing, sooner or later you run out of transcons you can run with an A320.

But there are plenty of second tier markets that can feed those transcons. Not with a CRJ-200... but an E-175 would probably fit the business model well. They're not going to be flown by VX pilots unless its at regional wages though.
According to some here, I thought VX is already paying regional wages?

Kidding aside, we only have 53 airplanes right now and still have a few more cities being launched. After that, it should be status quo (no growth, no shrinkage) until 2015 when the next A320 comes. I really wouldn't put too much faith in having regional aircraft going to second tier markets.

bluesideup1224
05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Hey guys! I finally got the email- anybody else headed out to interview on the 22nd?
For those of you with the info- is the Red Roof still the place to stay? How close is it to the Virgin building? (walkable?) Thanks in advance!

ShyGuy
05-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey guys! I finally got the email- anybody else headed out to interview on the 22nd?
For those of you with the info- is the Red Roof still the place to stay? How close is it to the Virgin building? (walkable?) Thanks in advance!
Congrats. Red Roof will be cheapest in that area. Yes it's walkable, about 12 minutes.

akaviator
05-06-2013, 08:28 PM

I'm taking my type ride on the 22nd or I would come up to Mt. Whitney and say hi to you interviewees. Good luck!

Someone said that mainly regional types were being hired...5 of the 6 in my class had at least 737 time and two had 747-400 and 777 time.

Tee1Up
05-06-2013, 09:44 PM

............deleted

Tee1Up
05-06-2013, 09:55 PM

bluesideup....PM sent.

brianb
05-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Good on you! There's a restaurant called Leanns located in the front of the Red Roof, good chow at a reasonable price and I believe they will give you a break on the bill if you mention your interviewing with Virgin.

66Vtails
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
So this has probably been covered ad nausea but with the current pay scales and reserve rules what can a 1st and 2nd year FO realistically expect to make? Including per diem. Any other pay information would be appreciated. I know the reserve rules have just changed as well.

atr42flyer
05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
So this has probably been covered ad nausea but with the current pay scales and reserve rules what can a 1st and 2nd year FO realistically expect to make? Including per diem. Any other pay information would be appreciated. I know the reserve rules have just changed as well.

well looking back at my final check of the year of my first year.

Gross wages came out to just over $42k

Plus Non tax perdiem was $4k

This was at $44.00 for almost a full year, I had basically 2.5 months at $2500 a month training pay. Also I only spent 3 weeks on reserve.

If you started today the pay is $49.00 and second year is $70.00

I am on track already this year to clear above $70k