Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting

PC12Flyer
03-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Just curious, how far would you all drive for the "right flying job"....2 hours too far? 1.5?

satpak77
03-23-2013, 09:20 AM
what does it pay ? what kind of "drive" ? 2 hours of pure highway thru the countryside of two hours navigating rush hour metro traffic in LA

etc

PC12Flyer
03-23-2013, 09:42 AM
what does it pay ? what kind of "drive" ? 2 hours of pure highway thru the countryside of two hours navigating rush hour metro traffic in LA

etc

It's a six figure gig, and about 1 hour 40 minute drive on pure highway, mostly through countryside...no crazy rush hour traffic spots. No schedule either, but owner mainly likes to be home every night. Around 300 hours per year of flying. Also, looking like the airplane will be managed under EJM at some point to possibly do some charter.

Gjn290
03-23-2013, 09:46 AM
It depends also on how often you have to go to work. Only when you fly? How often do you fly? Is it a Monday-Friday gig? I wouldn't want to spend more than in hour in my car each way, and that's with traffic figured in.

Personally, for me, two hours in a car each way is far too long. You would probably get very tired very quick doing that.

Don't forget that many outfits want you living within a mileage radius from the airport.

PC12Flyer
03-23-2013, 09:49 AM
It depends also on how often you have to go to work. Only when you fly? How often do you fly? Is it a Monday-Friday gig? I wouldn't want to spend more than in hour in my car each way, and that's with traffic figured in.

Personally, for me, two hours in a car each way is far too long. You would probably get very tired very quick doing that

Only have to drive to the airport when you fly. No sitting around if not needed for a trip. It depends on the owner, sometimes he will fly two days in a row, sometimes you might not fly for a week. Kinda tough to pin down an exact idea...

Having said that, I agree, 2 hours each way is definitely pushing it...

satpak77
03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I don't know. Round it up to 2 hours and that is 4 hours minimum out of your day you are allocating to this job, and you aren't starting engines yet.

I would look if owner is a good guy and if this job will open the door for networking/connections/etc.

obviously if you gotta pay the mortgage then you gotta pay the mortage....but....

DirectTo
03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
First time he needs a 6 AM departure, you're going to hate that choice.

I live 35 minutes from the airport, but thanks to traffic have to leave for the airport at least an hour to 1:15 ahead of time to play it safe. Not to mention time to get the plane out, preflight, etc. It adds up quick, and it all means less time at home.

PC12Flyer
03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I definitely have some thinking to do.

GVCPT
03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Take the job if you need one and the equipment is good, don't let a 2 hour drive discourage you. Think about moving closer to the job if you can. If you have ties at your current location, think about getting an apartment that you can stay at when you know you have an early departure or when you land one day and have a trip scheduled the next.
My $.02 worth.

dirtysidedown
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I had a gig like that a few years ago flying for an owner, on days i had back to back flights or early morning departures he would spring for a hotel room for me.

UCLAbruins
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
It's a six figure gig, and about 1 hour 40 minute drive on pure highway, mostly through countryside...no crazy rush hour traffic spots. No schedule either, but owner mainly likes to be home every night. Around 300 hours per year of flying. Also, looking like the airplane will be managed under EJM at some point to possibly do some charter.

6 figure gig and the craft will be managed by EJM ( meaning Netjets bennies). You better jump on that

PC12Flyer
03-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like they actualy have a crashpad set up at the hangar for those early departures or back to back days of flying. I think for the 6 figures I could make the sacrifice when I have to.

gulfstream1
03-23-2013, 04:43 PM
I dont know what you would be leaving behind and moving into (equipment wise) but I have seen many of our brethren pass up opportunities to advance their career over concerns such as yours.

I, for one, took such an opportunity that required a 1:35 commute each way about twice a week. It sucked for the 5 years I did it but it got me into large cabin aircraft and eventually a G550.

I know that isn't everyone's goal necessarily but you should look at where you want to be 10 years down the road, not at your commute next week.

DirectTo
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like they actualy have a crashpad set up at the hangar for those early departures or back to back days of flying. I think for the 6 figures I could make the sacrifice when I have to.
Sounds totally worth it in that case. I know of a company that moved into a former corporate hangar with a crash pad apartment in it, great setup if you just need to crash for the night and grab a quick shower before you head off in the morning.

Enjoy it! :cool:

nehringer
03-24-2013, 01:19 AM
You do what you have to do. I spent years traveling 5-7 hours every other week for a 7 on, 7 off gig flying helicopters offshore (Gulf of Mexico). After that I was forced to drive 1.5 hours each way, per day to fly one maybe two students for $20 an hour. After our little home-town metro airport was closed to make way for the big new international airport 20 miles North of town, GA took a nose dive. Now there is a large passenger terminal, a bunch of private hangars, a Sheltair and a "hobby" flight school. Long gone are all of the charter and cargo operators, schools and rental fleets that once thrived. The nearest GA airport is 100 miles away.

Now I'm in Iraq flying helicopters again. I was promised a year with a possible one year extension. As it turns out, the gig is only going to last a total of 9 months and will be over by the time my next R&R leave is over. Being away like this has its advantages though; my family and I are better prepared for the extended absences that will occur once I come home and start flying 135 away from home again.

JetDoc
03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
This is a no brainer. If it's me I'm all over it. I say go for it!

Ewfflyer
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I drive 84 miles for an occasional contract gig, about 1:35-1:45 one way. That's flying an Sr22 and Matrix. $400/day. I, however no longer fly full time, and fly around 12-15 trips a year for them, usually over the winter months, so worth it to me.

6 figure's, I'd say you are crazy not to, but there's always something we might not know about your situation. If its "the" place you want to be, I would look at relocating closer if it turns into a long term deal.

PC12Flyer
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Without giving too much away about the job, I will say it is a Challenger 300 and there are G550s in the fleet as well. I agree, if this turns into "the place to be" a move closer would be in order. With that said, I am happy where I live now and they don't fly everyday....right now, next trip scheduled isn't for another week. Of course, things could pop up, but 99% of the trips are at least 1-2 days notice...

satpak77
03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
take it. if no training contact/etc try it for 12 months (anybody can do 12 months doing anything) and re-assess

Gjn290
03-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Good luck! Sounds like a great job! Especially that they have a crash pad at the hangar. Not too many places out there that do that.

I agree with what Satpak too.

aduque
06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
i drive 4hrs to work and 4hrs back, people tell me i am crazy but it is a great company and the QOL is great for me, plus i get to fly the airplane i love. it alsomhelps that my company gives me longer trips so i don't have to make that drive as often. Yes 6am departures mean that i have to wake up at around 12:30am and such but lately those have been close to 1 or 2 per month.