Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

olympic
04-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Don't know if anyone has been looking into them but they have been in deep need for new pilots. I know a bunch of guys making the move either that be F/Os or Captains. They just changed the foreign pilot contract from 9000 to 11000 for Captains and around 8000 for F/Os for 70 hours of work and 46 per hour for every hour after that. (Not sure if this is in EUROS or USD)

F/O contract finally states that UPGRADE to Captain and UPGRADE to Long haul fleet if hired into the 737 or A320 is feasable within a few years of working for the company. You also receive a Turkish seniority number.

With all the orders they have waiting and the new airport being built, this might be a good move for most. Istanbul is becoming into a great city, a European city which is very close to any country in the EU and just over 10 hours from the US East Coast.

I'll try and upload the contract at some point when I get my hands on it. Seems like they are trying to take the guys who are trying to move to Emirates or Etihad by offering more money and chance for upgrade.

CriticalMach
04-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Don't know if anyone has been looking into them but they have been in deep need for new pilots. I know a bunch of guys making the move either that be F/Os or Captains. They just changed the foreign pilot contract from 9000 to 11000 for Captains and around 8000 for F/Os for 70 hours of work and 46 per hour for every hour after that. (Not sure if this is in EUROS or USD)

F/O contract finally states that UPGRADE to Captain and UPGRADE to Long haul fleet if hired into the 737 or A320 is feasable within a few years of working for the company. You also receive a Turkish seniority number.

With all the orders they have waiting and the new airport being built, this might be a good move for most. Istanbul is becoming into a great city, a European city which is very close to any country in the EU and just over 10 hours from the US East Coast.

I'll try and upload the contract at some point when I get my hands on it. Seems like they are trying to take the guys who are trying to move to Emirates or Etihad by offering more money and chance for upgrade.

Only JAA buddy.

olympic
04-04-2013, 04:38 AM
You sure ?? They have some guys from air Canada.

captjns
04-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Turkish is taking only JAA licensed chaps.

zondaracer
04-04-2013, 05:36 AM
Website confirms only JAA licenses
Turkish Airlines (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/announcements/12981/turkish-airlines-inc-a320--b737fo-minimum-requirements)

PotatoChip
04-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Istanbul is becoming into a great city

Ha! This part made me laugh. Istanbul is one the ORIGINAL great cities! Amazing place.

That outta the way, I'd love to get on there. I've flown on them a couple of times, always been nice, and would gladly reside in Turkey for a while. That said, they're gonna have to change the JAA requirement first!

gcpilot
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
They have been advertising for a while but "only JAA" has stopped many FAA rated pilots from applying. No doubt that they are a great operation with a growing fleet destined to be one of the giants in the industry but "JAA only" is the bummer!
Not saying that converting to Euro standard license is impossible, but we all know that there are too many ropes to jump in the process. For now, the Middle East and the Far East are viable options.

olympic
04-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Ha! This part made me laugh. Istanbul is one the ORIGINAL great cities! Amazing place.

That outta the way, I'd love to get on there. I've flown on them a couple of times, always been nice, and would gladly reside in Turkey for a while. That said, they're gonna have to change the JAA requirement first!

Im glad you had a laugh, but you don't need to tell me about Original, I am Greek and so was Constantinople. I was just referring as it has nothing to do with the Turkish side. Too bad you don't have the JAA.

acebaxter
04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
The license is not that difficult to obtain if you really want it and have the hours required for self study. 14 written exams and they do have very good test banks to practice/study with. Then a normal ATP ride, nothing special. This was all in 2007 under JAA, EASA may have changed things a bit.
You will require the medical which was rather pricey in Ireland. I don't know about the rest of the world. Now, if I could just figure out how to blend in in Turkey!

captjns
04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
That said, they're gonna have to change the JAA requirement first!

Not until they run out of talent closer to Turkey.

Kapitanleutnant
04-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Couple of things come to mind about the whole Turkish deal...

First off, I've heard there is quite a bit of animosity between the union pilots at Turkish and the non union expats coming to fly their aircraft. Just what I've heard, don't shoot the messenger.

Secondly, about 2-3 years ago Turkish hired a number of expats as Triple captains there only to turn around the let them go within about a year of what was supposed to be a longer contract period. Left some pretty bad blood from what I know. Same thing that Jet Airways did about the same time period.

So, use extreme caution when dealing with either Turkish or Jet Airways.

Just sayin'.....

Kap

The Dominican
04-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Heard the same thing, apparently life on the 73 there is more pleasant, but the 777 has a few issues, there is a lot of growth proyected and for what I hear not a lot of local experience to cover it, basically the same issue than here in Japan, lots of retirements with not enough right seat wealth to draw from.

zondaracer
04-05-2013, 06:22 AM
You will require the medical which was rather pricey in Ireland. I don't know about the rest of the world.
How much in Ireland? In the UK, price for an initial class 1 is up to 348GBP which is about $550 at today's exchange rate. In Spain, an initial class 1 is about €400, so about the same. At least renewals and revalidations are reasonable at €150 more or less.

acebaxter
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
The company paid for it but as I remember it was around 680 euro. I really miss flying in Europe but with all the citizenship requirements in the world I think I'll be in the States for a while. Japan temps me but I don't know if I could tolerate that commute for the duration of a five year contract.

The Dominican
04-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Japan temps me but I don't know if I could tolerate that commute for the duration of a five year contract.

Being doing it for 6+ years now and believe me when I say that it is nothing like the experience of commuting while working in the states.
Depends on what commuting option you take of course but if you choose to take your confirmed business class ticket every month, it is actually a very pleasant experience, your first sector is on ANA either to Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, New York, fully lay flat seats with the service of an airline that was just named ATW (airline transport world) 2013 airline of the year and SKYTRAX just awarded a 5 star rating. All while accumulating miles on their award program, so very quickly you earn a Diamond status, that brings many more perks like checking in their ANA suite check in counters, exclusive lines through security in Narita and Haneda, automatic upgrades to first class on your second sector inside the states, checking more bags for free when you travel on vacation (great for when you travel on vacation with the family) access to all the lounges within the star alliance and so forth. Commuting is not an issue at all really, but the stupid freighter trips once you get here, that is another story:mad:

acebaxter
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Thank you for the insight. My biggest concern with the commute is simply the number of time zones my 54 year old body would be adjusting to. I wonder how many of those 10 days with my wife would be spent in a state of semi-sleep? Still, I really enjoyed the lifestyle and cultural experiences that came with living and working in Europe. I will never be able to duplicate that in the States and therefore continue to look at contract flying. Since they do not seem to be hiring Captains at the present time I don't have to sweat the decision. Yet.

gcpilot
04-05-2013, 06:24 PM
The company paid for it but as I remember it was around 680 euro. I really miss flying in Europe but with all the citizenship requirements in the world I think I'll be in the States for a while. Japan temps me but I don't know if I could tolerate that commute for the duration of a five year contract.
If you cant handle the commute then I wonder how you would go through the JCAB conversion process lasting upward of 6 months.

acebaxter
04-06-2013, 05:45 AM
There are not many time zones to contend with when you stay in one place for six months.

The Dominican
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I wonder how many of those 10 days with my wife would be spent in a state of semi-sleep?
Well yes, jetlag is part of it all, we all have our different system to adjust, I do OK going westbound but coming home, I usually start adjusting my sleeping patterns two days before my trip home (provided my roster allows it) if I have freight for the last few days before I go home then it is not much of a problem since I'm working at the hours of daylight back home.

Sorry all for the thread drift!

acebaxter
04-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the information. And yes, sorry for wandering off subject.
Cheers

olympic
01-18-2014, 07:03 AM
Turkish is accepting FAA pilots for all of its fleets.

acebaxter
01-18-2014, 08:18 PM
There is some conflicting information on their website. The "job opportunities" section show FAA as acceptable while the "recruitement" section excludes it.

Either way, they want 1000 hours on type. Until they get a DC-9 or MD-80 I'll just sit back and watch.

Cheers,

Jim

skytrekker
01-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Multiple posts on the Sigma website with reference to FAA now.

B777 CAPTS - TURKISH AIRLINES - FAA/ICAO/JAR/EASA LICENCES

Location:Middle EastCategory:Flight CrewRef No:THY777CLast Updated:17-01-2014
JOB DESCRIPTION:

Sigma Aviation on behalf of our long standing client Turkish Airlines is seeking experienced B777 Captains with assessment dates immediately available in Istanbul.

***Weekly assessments - Flights and Accommodation provided***

Permanent positions with stable and fast growing global airline on offer with recently improved and very attractive terms and conditions (package includes bonus, travel benefits, immediate start dates, stable roster pattern and insurance).

Further information and assessment dates will be advised to suitable candidates upon application.

In order to qualify for this position a candidate must:

Be between the ages of 35-60 at time of application.
Be in possession of a High School Diploma.
Be able to provide a no accident/incident statement and references upon request.
Have no criminal record.
Suitable candidates must also:

Be current on the B777 within the last 6 months.
FAA/ICAO/JAR/EASA ATPL.
Current First Class Medical.
Minimum of 11,000 hours total flight time, of which;
A minimum of 3000 hours should be PIC time on aircraft 27 tonnes or more, of which;
A minimum of 1000 hours should be PIC on type (B777).
If you meet the above minimum requirements and wish to apply please forward your C.V. to DaithÃ* at

[email protected] or call on +353 1 6698 224

Sliceback
01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
Guy said Turkish had FAA licensed pilots (8?)and got rid of them. Any details? Now accepting FAA licenses? If they got rid of FAA guys in the past what's stopping them from doing it again?

captjns
01-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Guy said Turkish had FAA licensed pilots (8?)and got rid of them. Any details? Now accepting FAA licenses? If they got rid of FAA guys in the past what's stopping them from doing it again?

They were looking to join the EU. Wanted only EASA née JAA certificated pilots. Better opportunities elsewhere, an unable to get staffing fron Euroland as the contract has not been one of a commuting type.

The Dominican
01-21-2014, 11:00 PM
No curency exchange protection on the contract either, the Lira has taken a tumble with all the problems in the EU, the guys have taken upwards of 30%cuts due to this and with other companies offering better deals for pilots from the EU they have had to open its doors to other certificate holders.

olympic
01-22-2014, 11:12 PM
No curency exchange protection on the contract either, the Lira has taken a tumble with all the problems in the EU, the guys have taken upwards of 30%cuts due to this and with other companies offering better deals for pilots from the EU they have had to open its doors to other certificate holders.

They get a lot of bonuses though, so it sorta fixes the drop in the Lira.

hoover
01-23-2014, 04:42 PM
What kind of bonuses?

olympic
01-25-2014, 04:17 AM
Every 3 months, 9000 Turkish lira, 4000$

seattlepilot
01-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Turkish is accepting FAA pilots for all of its fleets.

Care to share the source? If you are a 777 CA there are other and better benefits than Turkish.
As far as the conversion process is concerned, I am going through it right now and it's pain in the ass. Flying full schedule and studying doesn't go hand in hand.

To correct the other misinformation, 737 is the worst aircraft with QOL, unless you do the trips on long haul Africa trips. The ones that they don't like the foreigners are the local ex-military guys with limited communication skills, or kids of the ex-military captains. FAs will be all over you though :)

The airline pays premium for flights on sundays and holidays. So all those trips go to well connected crews.

Roster is monthly and changes on daily basis. If you refuse flying you will have to explain yourself to the chief pilot or one of his minions ..

olympic
01-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Care to share the source? If you are a 777 CA there are other and better benefits than Turkish.
As far as the conversion process is concerned, I am going through it right now and it's pain in the ass. Flying full schedule and studying doesn't go hand in hand.

To correct the other misinformation, 737 is the worst aircraft with QOL, unless you do the trips on long haul Africa trips. The ones that they don't like the foreigners are the local ex-military guys with limited communication skills, or kids of the ex-military captains. FAs will be all over you though :)

The airline pays premium for flights on sundays and holidays. So all those trips go to well connected crews.

Roster is monthly and changes on daily basis. If you refuse flying you will have to explain yourself to the chief pilot or one of his minions ..

All the hiring agencies posting for FAA pilots.

seattlepilot
01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
The chief pilot for 330/340 is a friend of mine. I asked the question to him. He said they are still requiring jaa license.

NEDude
01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
The chief pilot for 330/340 is a friend of mine. I asked the question to him. He said they are still requiring jaa license.

Every single agency that handles Turkish Airlines contracts is now advertising they accept FAA and other ICAO licenses, and Turkish is accepting such pilots for screening. Either your friend is mistaken, or their pilot recruitment department and contract agencies are mistaken.

captjns
01-27-2014, 02:37 PM

With no disrespect to you friednd he is a tad behind on the hiring news. Non EU expats with FAA certificates are the rage of the day. Those of the EU are heading off to bigger and better as they are losing on the exchange rate with the EURO. Not many from the US are biting either.

olympic
01-28-2014, 01:18 AM
Turkish Airlines - FAA/ICAO/JAR/EASA Licences - Sigma Aviation Services

Probe
01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Airlines and agencies promise lots of things. Do they accept other than JAA? Who knows. Maybe the agencies want to get in front of the curve in case they do.

Just 'cause it's on the internet, doesn't make it true.

atpcliff
01-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I have flown several times in Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar, plus a TONNE of foreign airlines.

I just had my first flight on Turkish, in "Business" class. It was ****. It was worse than almost every DAL/AA/UAL/CAL/USAIr flight I ever had. I realize that I was flying a crap route, in their crap plane, with their crap food and crap cabin crew, but it was so bad, Turkish has a LONG way to go to even get close to trying to compete with the ME carriers.

Oh, and the jetway at our gate in Istanbul was presumably not working, so we had to walk out on the ramp in the pouring rain to get off the plane.

NEDude
01-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I have flown several times in Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar, plus a TONNE of foreign airlines.

I just had my first flight on Turkish, in "Business" class. It was ****. It was worse than almost every DAL/AA/UAL/CAL/USAIr flight I ever had. I realize that I was flying a crap route, in their crap plane, with their crap food and crap cabin crew, but it was so bad, Turkish has a LONG way to go to even get close to trying to compete with the ME carriers.

Oh, and the jetway at our gate in Istanbul was presumably not working, so we had to walk out on the ramp in the pouring rain to get off the plane.

You have to get off on the ramp a lot in Frankfurt, regardless of the airline you are flying. Pretty common in many parts of the world.

captjns
01-29-2014, 03:03 AM

What??? no bread sticks or cognac either?!?!:eek:

SUX4U
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
What??? no bread sticks or cognac either?!?!:eek:

Anyone got a good beating a dead horse gif to share? :D

seattlepilot
02-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Ok here's the latest. They will hire FAA licensed pilots with a Turkish license validation. You need to have 500 hours in any of the aircraft they operate. (I m out of luck on that one).

Since the Turkish CAA is behind this TK can get you one year permit with one year of extension. After that you have to pass the JAA exams.

bubi352
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Has anyone done the Direct Entry Captain on the 320? Got my JAA a few years back but never used it. Wouldn't mind moving there. Got two houses there.

hoover
02-10-2014, 06:14 PM
will they pay fo rthe exams and give you the time off to get your JAA. So if I am reading this right you have 2 yrs to get your JAA?

olympic
02-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Has anyone done the Direct Entry Captain on the 320? Got my JAA a few years back but never used it. Wouldn't mind moving there. Got two houses there.

What you want to know?
It's a simple interview.

seattlepilot
02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
will they pay fo rthe exams and give you the time off to get your JAA. So if I am reading this right you have 2 yrs to get your JAA?
You are kidding right

hoover
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
well now I guess I am. Anything good about them?

WorldwidePilot
04-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Turkish Airlines now accepting Non-Type Rated B777, B737, A320, A330/A340 Captains and First Officers.

B777, A330, A340 NTR: need experience on B767, B747, or A380

B737, A320 NTR: need experience on BAe-146, CRJ-100, 200, 700, 705, 900, 1000, ERJ-190/195, B 717, B727, B737 CLASSIC, DC-9-50, F-100, MD-80/88/90, or B757

Turkish Airlines will be having a roadshow in the USA in April to meet with pilots on the below dates:

*Los Angeles : April 14 and 15
*Chicago : April 18 and 19
*New York : April 22 and 23

For more details, email [email protected]

N9373M
04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
They've got full page ads for pilots in this weeks Aviation Week.