Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

kalymnos
06-09-2013, 10:08 AM
The other day I was at homeless shelter with my son (volunteering) and we went together and I asked the administrator what items they need for the people inside the shelter? His reply was soap, shampoo items of that nature to help people when they check in just to get through the day?
So over the past couple weeks or so I was looking at my inventory that they give me when I check into a hotel? I really don't use most of it I'm not that good looking and it really doesn't matter, because I have my shaving kit and my items. So I got to thinking if I could just take the items that were already given to me in the hotel and save them, and take them down to a homeless shelter after a month of being on the road I think it would really help? And then I thought about our industry and I said can you imagine what it would be like if a lot of people had this idea? The room is already paid for I'm not taking anything that wasn't already given to me and I'm just passing it on to somebody that needs it! It sounds very simple but I guess I'm asking everybody if they could think about this and go with their kids and show a small act of kindness? Most of these folks inside of the shelters have absolutely nothing and if we can give them something that makes them feel little better...why not? Thanks for your time...

The dude
06-09-2013, 11:59 AM
What a great idea. I'll start doing the same as of this week.

Being a good person consists of more than just going through the motions.

Cheers

USMCFLYR
06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
My niece teaches special ed in a fairly small town middle school. She told me that she has quite a few kids who are 'hygenically challenged' shall we say. I've been collecting those samples and passing them on to her for use in class for 2 years now. She tells me that it is of great help.

Cbusbased
06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Thats a great idea! I think i'll have to start doing that. A lot of people say "we need to help each other and unite as a country......" yet no one wants to be proactive about it. Good thinking!

DirectTo
06-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Great idea. I don't get too many overnights but I'll grab anything I can. Anything makes a difference.

sabreflyr
06-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I remember seeing this recently on a TV news program.

From 2011:
Ever wonder what happens to used hotel soap?

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2011/04/ever-wonder-what-happens-to-unused-hotel-soap-and-shampoo/167172/1

kalymnos
06-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the post so far, is their anyway I can link my message to the airline forum as well? (administrators).. Thank You..

FlyJSH
06-09-2013, 02:31 PM
A fine idea, but there is one thing that disturbs me about this (and I fully expect to get a ration of do-do for my opinion). Taking unused soaps from the hotel for donation is essentially like me taking the change from your pocket and giving it to a charity of MY choice. If unused soaps are okay, what about the backup roll of toilet paper? or the towels? All of those items increase the expenses of the hotel increasing the cost of the room, increasing the cost to the airline, increasing the cost to our customers.

Giving toiletries to shelters is a great idea, but I submit, if one truly believes it is a good idea, rather than stealing the unused stuff from the hotel, buy them yourself (in a quick search, I found soaps at about $0.15 each... or $150 for a thousand).

shoelu
06-09-2013, 02:44 PM
We have receptacles at SWA domiciles for you to deposit the items then the company distributes them to various charities.

LNL76
06-09-2013, 03:20 PM
When my kids were in grade school, they used to collect these items as well as lotions, combs, playing cards and other very inexpensive items one can by at a dollar store to senior citizen homes. One airline I worked for had some crew members who left a box in the crew lounge to collect these items to be distributed to a battered women (and children) shelter.
It's a great idea!

flyandive
06-09-2013, 03:21 PM
At the suggestion of a family member I did donate my unused collection of soaps and shampoos to a homeless shelter. I didn't think they would go for it but I was amazed at them not only taking the box of stuff but they were also extremely thankful for the donation. Seemed like they actually really needed it.

flyingsioux
06-09-2013, 03:51 PM
A fine idea, but there is one thing that disturbs me about this (and I fully expect to get a ration of do-do for my opinion). Taking unused soaps from the hotel for donation is essentially like me taking the change from your pocket and giving it to a charity of MY choice. If unused soaps are okay, what about the backup roll of toilet paper? or the towels? All of those items increase the expenses of the hotel increasing the cost of the room, increasing the cost to the airline, increasing the cost to our customers.

Giving toiletries to shelters is a great idea, but I submit, if one truly believes it is a good idea, rather than stealing the unused stuff from the hotel, buy them yourself (in a quick search, I found soaps at about $0.15 each... or $150 for a thousand).

I'd imagine that the hotel bean counters assume that all the toiletries in the room will be used and account for them in the room price. It's a fixed expense. Pretty simple to account for.

80ktsClamp
06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I'd imagine that the hotel bean counters assume that all the toiletries in the room will be used and account for them in the room price. It's a fixed expense. Pretty simple to account for.

Bingo. Besides, they are just going to throw away the shampoo that I used one or maybe 2 "servings" of.

forgot to bid
06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Bingo. Besides, they are just going to throw away the shampoo that I used one or maybe 2 "servings" of.

I just assumed they filled them back up and put tape on it? :D

It is a good idea btw. Also I've heard children's hospital will gladly take those things. I'm going to donate our wagon to children's hospital because man, when your there and they clear you to take them on a walk outside of the room they've been stuck too with equipment and IVs, those wagons are a pure joy.

I keep forgetting to tell Delta it'd be a good cheap sponsorship to pain up some wagons in white and make them look like airplanes and donate them.

Pineapple Guy
06-09-2013, 05:55 PM

+1

Why don't we all just go to the "all you can eat buffet", and fill up our back packs with all the food we can cram in there, then walk it down to the homeless shelter? That's the same thing.

It amazes me that people think stealing shampoo and soap from a hotel is a charitable thing to do. It's there for your use. If you want to use it, do; but don't steal it. BTW, if you ever wondered what happens to the bar of soap that you DO use one time, see Global Soap Project (http://www.globalsoap.org/). My family has volunteered at their facility in Atlanta, and its quite impressive.

flyingsioux
06-09-2013, 06:16 PM
+1

Why don't we all just go to the "all you can eat buffet", and fill up our back packs with all the food we can cram in there, then walk it down to the homeless shelter? That's the same thing.

It amazes me that people think stealing shampoo and soap from a hotel is a charitable thing to do. It's there for your use. If you want to use it, do; but don't steal it. BTW, if you ever wondered what happens to the bar of soap that you DO use one time, see Global Soap Project (http://www.globalsoap.org/). My family has volunteered at their facility in Atlanta, and its quite impressive.

We're talking about convenience items that are put there with the expectation that they're going to be unusable in the morning. I'm sure the Hilton family isn't laying awake at night thinking about it.

Further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

Sliceback
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
What about light bulbs? That's another expense they've probably budgeted. Years ago we had a guy that took burnt out bulbs and replaced the working hotel light bulbs. Toilet paper rolls? Sheets? Towels? Kleenex? Pillows? Bath robes? Bed covers? All have been taken.

Buy soap and donate. No ethics debate needed.

swamp
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
+1

The shampoo and soap are factored into the cost of the hotel fare, just as the free coke and peanuts on the plane are... I doubt Richard Anderson will be knocking on your door if you save your peanuts and give them to a homeless shelter... Now if you are putting the hotel towels, blow dryer and iron in your bag, your stealing, as these items are not a factored cost.

flyingsioux
06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
What about light bulbs? That's another expense they've probably budgeted. Years ago we had a guy that took burnt out bulbs and replaced the working hotel light bulbs. Toilet paper rolls? Sheets? Towels? Kleenex? Pillows? Bath robes? Bed covers? All have been taken.

Buy soap and donate. No ethics debate needed.

Light bulbs? Really? I'd call your stance here less an "ethics debate" and more just simply being disagreeable.

satpak77
06-09-2013, 06:29 PM
On a similar note, I visited my aging mother, still in good health but getting older...the food cabinets had some expired by 6-9 months items, such as cupcake mix, stove top stuffing, I think an still sealed jar of spaghetti sauce, etc.

I called the homeless shelter, explained what I had and the dates, and they happily accepted it. Turns out some folks are happy to eat 6 month old expired Prego versus starve to death.

Every little bit counts.

Regarding "where is the line drawn" argument, IE why not take the towels (and the pillows), the soap and shampoo is clearly designed for consumption by the guest, and trust me, Corporate Marriott/Hilton/etc has this priced into the room (which you paid for). If you have a bona-fide good cause, toss them in the suitcase and give them to someone who needs them.

Come on folks, this isn't that hard.....

flyingsioux
06-09-2013, 06:34 PM
On a similar note, I visited my aging mother, still in good health but getting older...the food cabinets had some expired by 6-9 months items, such as cupcake mix, stove top stuffing, I think an still sealed jar of spaghetti sauce, etc.

I called the homeless shelter, explained what I had and the dates, and they happily accepted it. Turns out some folks are happy to eat 6 month old expired Prego versus starve to death.

Every little bit counts.

Regarding "where is the line drawn" argument, IE why not take the towels (and the pillows), the soap and shampoo is clearly designed for consumption by the guest, and trust me, Corporate Marriott/Hilton/etc has this priced into the room (which you paid for). If you have a bona-fide good cause, toss them in the suitcase and give them to someone who needs them.

Come on folks, this isn't that hard.....

Agreed. If you really find yourself struggling with this ethically, approach the front desk manager and explain to them that you brought your own toiletries but are wondering if its ok if you remove the ones from your room and provide them to an individual with need. I'd be shocked if you received one "no" response out of ten.

USMCFLYR
06-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Agreed. If you really find yourself struggling with this ethically, approach the front desk manager and explain to them that you brought your own toiletries but are wondering if its ok if you remove the ones from your room and provide them to an individual with need. I'd be shocked if you received one "no" response out of ten.
More than likely you would get a stare of disbelief and wonderment.

We always bemoan the lack of common sense yet display that lack daily. If I don't drink that bottle of water or eat the bag of cookies given to me at check-in, should I return them too?
(Actually if offered at check-in I refuse them, and if already in the room I often take them home for others)

Hmmmmm.....will I now not be able to answer 'Have you ever stolen anything' with a NO answer in future interviews?

LNL76
06-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Shaking my head at how a seemingly innocuous thread has turned into this! :confused:

satpak77
06-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Shaking my head at how a seemingly innocuous thread has turned into this! :confused:

that makes two of us. This thread, and the ???? hundred posts regarding FFDO is good. No it isn't FFDO is bad. NO ! Its good.

:confused:

squall line
06-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Crowne Plaza in MIA has a sign in the bathroom asking to please leave the unused portion of shampoo/conditioner on the counter so they themselves can donate it to their special cause. No ethical dilemma there. Why would another hotel be any different? Now if you raid housekeepings cart, that's a bit different.

Pineapple Guy
06-10-2013, 02:25 AM
The shampoo and soap are factored into the cost of the hotel fare, just as the free coke and peanuts on the plane are... I doubt Richard Anderson will be knocking on your door if you save your peanuts and give them to a homeless shelter... Now if you are putting the hotel towels, blow dryer and iron in your bag, your stealing, as these items are not a factored cost.

...the soap and shampoo is clearly designed for consumption by the guest, and trust me, Corporate Marriott/Hilton/etc has this priced into the room...

I didn't realize we have so many hotel cost accountants masquerading as pilots...

USMCFLYR
06-10-2013, 03:16 AM
I didn't realize we have so many hotel cost accountants masquerading as pilots...
......or soapbox pundits preaching ethics! :D

LNL76
06-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Crowne Plaza in MIA has a sign in the bathroom asking to please leave the unused portion of shampoo/conditioner on the counter so they themselves can donate it to their special cause. No ethical dilemma there. Why would another hotel be any different? Now if you raid housekeepings cart, that's a bit different.

...or the supply closet! I was thinking the exact same thing, but you beat me to the punch. :)

Some of us aren't pilots, to there goes your theory! ;) :D

FlyerJosh
06-10-2013, 04:30 AM

Don't do that. Instead ask to be rebated the cost of your unused soap and shampoo since you brought your own.

buzzpat
06-10-2013, 04:46 AM

YGBSM PG! I'm no lawyer nor am I an accountant...but those are complimentary toiletries. If taking them for a noble cause chafes your sensibilities, don't do it. I happen to believe its an awesome initiative and one that I can't imagine any major hotel chain having an issue with.

Good God. You are such a buzz kill.

Snickersnwa
06-10-2013, 05:17 AM
I’ve been doing this for years… and then giving them to a women’s shelter here in town; they’ve always been extremely grateful for these donations.

FlyJSH
06-10-2013, 06:38 AM

If this is the case, do you clean out the galley when you leave and donate it as well?

LNL76
06-10-2013, 06:47 AM
If this is the case, do you clean out the galley when you leave and donate it as well?

No one's saying to "clean out the housekeepers' carts or supply room."
Think of it as a form of re-gifting. If you give your peanuts/pretzels to another passenger or a homeless guy on the street---is that "stealing."

Geez I don't know what's so hard to understand about this......

Sata 4000 RP
06-10-2013, 07:31 AM
No one's saying to "clean out the housekeepers' carts or supply room."
Think of it as a form of re-gifting. If you give your peanuts/pretzels to another passenger or a homeless guy on the street---is that "stealing."

Geez I don't know what's so hard to understand about this......

Speaking of stealing and ethics...I worked at Walmart some while in college and one question on the pre-employment ethics test was if you take a company provided pen home on accident, is this considered stealing from Walmart? Walmart's answer was Yes! :eek::rolleyes:

putzin
06-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Did you know you can get 75 cans of carbonated drinks in a 22" rollaboard. Plus, I donate all the extra drinks I get when I jumpseat on other carriers. Of course SWA limits riders to 1 can now, but that's okay I get plenty from DAL and UAL.

Nope, wasn't me, didn't see a thing.

DC8DRIVER
06-10-2013, 10:22 AM
We donate lots of these toiletries to our local women's shelter as well. Great idea.

For those who think this plan is stealing from the hotels, I say it's time to do a bag check to see if you have any hotel pens in there. Or pads of paper. Ever walked off of a plane with a bag of peanuts in your pocket? Or the airline magazine so you could finish the sudoku puzzle? Extra napkins or ketchup packs from the fast food drive through that you didn't use?

All these would be considered theft in your book.

We're not talking about pulling a truck up to the hotel loading dock and taking boxes of stuff out of storage. These are things that are paid for in the cost of the room.

I've got a very clear conscience about this and it is not theft by any legal, moral, or ethical definition. You have a really odd way of looking at things ...

Sheesh!

swamp
06-10-2013, 06:18 PM
SMH... Ive flown with your type - one to argue that the damn sun is hot.........

vagabond
06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Mod Note:

Looks like we've exhausted any and all logical debate. It's mind boggling how an innocuous topic can get derailed so quickly.

If anyone has no qualms taking stuff from a hotel room, I'd like you to be on the lookout for a robe from the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. :)

Geardownflaps30
06-11-2013, 04:32 AM
We have receptacles at SWA domiciles for you to deposit the items then the company distributes them to various charities.

Ditto at all three regionals I've worked at.

kalymnos
06-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Update: Thank so much for all the supportive posts... I just got back from the Ronald McDonald House (my son gave his Wii) and had a good conversation about needs, : "Every family that checks in gets a bar of soap and shampoo, it is always in short supply and need and travel sizes such as hotel amenities would be perfect" to add: " any extra that they have goes to the rescue mission" and "anyone who is staying for long periods of time at the hospital with loved ones who are patients and needs to shower goes to the RMH for clean up and they are always used"
The RMH in CLE is on Euclid and 105th.
Once again Thanks..!

hockeypilot44
06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
...or the supply closet! I was thinking the exact same thing, but you beat me to the punch. :)

Some of us aren't pilots, to there goes your theory! ;) :D

The name of the website is airlinepilotforums.com. I know there are some flight attendants on here, but I can see how some of us could assume everyone is a pilot.

SyFy
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
ExpressJet has receptacles for this also...at least in their CLE domicile.

todd1200
06-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Is it unethical to charge my cell phone with hotel electricity if I intend to use the charge after I leave? If I check in and my phone's charge is 32%, am I stealing hotel electricity if I leave with it fully charged? What about coffee from the lobby? Is it intended for consumption on hotel property and therefore stealing to consume the coffee after checking out?

lolwut
06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Is it unethical to charge my cell phone with hotel electricity if I intend to use the charge after I leave? If I check in and my phone's charge is 32%, am I stealing hotel electricity if I leave with it fully charged? What about coffee from the lobby? Is it intended for consumption on hotel property and therefore stealing to consume the coffee after checking out?

http://cdn0.meme.li/instances/300x300/39135399.jpg

80ktsClamp
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Pinapple guy says yes. That is stealing.

He also believes commuting is always a choice.

todd1200
06-26-2013, 11:00 AM
http://cdn0.meme.li/instances/300x300/39135399.jpg

Hahaha, perfect.

Purple Drank
06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
It feels good to be generous.

It feels better to be generous with someone else's money.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1