Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Trans States or Express Jet?

gvinflight
08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
So, hired at both, got the base I want at one, and "maybe" the base I want at the other. Pro's and Con's of both?

MrMustache
08-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Do you want to fly a 145 with DCs or no DCs? That is the question

Salukipilot4590
08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Wanna get "Hey here's your recall, oh wait...nevermind lol" letters?

mexipilot84
08-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Xjet, little bit more attrition on the erj side. More bases?

Riverside
08-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Go for TSA I'll be happier with more people below me on the seniority list :)

DryMotorBoatin
08-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Whew I got Andy dick style drunk that night.

Salukipilot4590
08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Whew I got Andy dick style drunk that night.

Haha you're tellin' me!

I was on my way to a house party with some friends in Glendale when I found out...needless to say I drank a few bottles of champagne and woke up a few pounds lighter.

Looking back it was a good night...not the cleanup but the night was decent...from what I saw in pictures.

Positive_Rate
08-22-2013, 05:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YHRPOPG.jpg

FDX8891
08-22-2013, 06:34 PM
I got hired at XJT in 2011 and a buddy of mine got hired at TSA in April of 2012 - He'll be able to upgrade once he hits the mins (if there's still movement there)...Meanwhile I'm about 800 people away...

I know, I know - Never chase an upgrade. But, really...consider that.

Salukipilot4590
08-22-2013, 07:54 PM
800 people isn't bad man, your company also cares about you.

That means a lot

Paid2fly
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM
800 people isn't bad man, your company also cares about you.

That means a lot

Wait, you aren't trying to say that Huly doesn't(care)are you?

crflyer
08-22-2013, 10:41 PM
your company also cares about you.

Now that's funny... no they don't.

Golden Child
08-22-2013, 11:17 PM
I got offered both, (being a So Cal guy, I wanted the closer commute). Back then (2006) The upgrade was less than two years and there were plenty of young Captains... so I went for the upgrade at TSA. Two furloughs and 7 years later there are only two people from my class still there and neither has Captain yet. I remember riding SWA out home and the Captain asking me who I was with when I checked in up front. When I told him he said: "We have a guy who used to work there; he said it was the worst job he ever had... and he'd worked fast food." I replied "Sounds like the right place." XJT is still a regional and the upgrade is longer... not to mention I definitely believe the grass is greener... but consider this:
-STL is a **** base and IAD is an expensive and inconvenient one to get around.
-TSA has absolutely the worst training program of any regional: When I came back from furlough after 3 years they gave me 3 sim sessions to get back in the saddle... outrageous.

There are good people there... and most will likely tell you to go to XJT. You could roll the dice, but GOjet seems to be getting all of Trans States Holdings' best and I believe those MRJs will never see LOF. I would have chosen differently if I had it all to do again. Just my 2 cents.

Thunderpig
08-23-2013, 06:34 AM
I got offered both, (being a So Cal guy, I wanted the closer commute). Back then (2006) The upgrade was less than two years and there were plenty of young Captains... so I went for the upgrade at TSA. Two furloughs and 7 years later there are only two people from my class still there and neither has Captain yet. I remember riding SWA out home and the Captain asking me who I was with when I checked in up front. When I told him he said: "We have a guy who used to work there; he said it was the worst job he ever had... and he'd worked fast food." I replied "Sounds like the right place." XJT is still a regional and the upgrade is longer... not to mention I definitely believe the grass is greener... but consider this:
-TSA has absolutely the worst training program of any regional: When I came back from furlough after 3 years they gave me 3 sim sessions to get back in the saddle... outrageous.

There are good people there... and most will likely tell you to go to XJT. You could roll the dice, but GOjet seems to be getting all of Trans States Holdings' best and I believe those MRJs will never see LOF. I would have chosen differently if I had it all to do again. Just my 2 cents.

If I may, what is the current reserve situation like at TSA? Depending on what a person's objectives are, that has a bearing on a decision. I am choosing to come to TSA specifically for the limited time (expected, anyway) on reserve. I would rather fly than sit and hope to fly. Oddly enough, I talked to a guy commuting for XJT and he is maybe flying 50 hours a month...so, you're only getting the minimum and the soft money is less. I can't imagine that any of the airline companies really care about their employees...that isn't their function...treating them well so that they keep good employees should be part of the plan, but I have yet to hear of that situation.

RgrMurdock
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Those two guys back in 06 are captains now. We're up to 2012 hires on the standing bid list for captains now.

Riverside
08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Any one enjoy the delicous bbq they served today?

chopperleo
08-23-2013, 09:12 AM
gvinflight,

Keep us posted on your selection and let us know how the interview was. I have applied to both places a couple of days ago so I'm curious to know how you decided. Needless to say, I'm still waiting on the responses from both (or a thanks but no thanks email, lol!).

Salukipilot4590
08-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Now that's funny... no they don't.

Okay okay they don't but they hate you less than YSH management.

That's something right?

chopperleo
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Are saying that you currently have a buddy at TSA that does not have the ATp mins? If so, was he grandfathered in? Just wondering how it worked for those guys who got hired in before August and did not meet the mins when time came. Thanks!I got hired at XJT in 2011 and a buddy of mine got hired at TSA in April of 2012 - He'll be able to upgrade once he hits the mins (if there's still movement there)...Meanwhile I'm about 800 people away...

I know, I know - Never chase an upgrade. But, really...consider that.

mking84
08-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Are saying that you currently have a buddy at TSA that does not have the ATp mins? If so, was he grandfathered in? Just wondering how it worked for those guys who got hired in before August and did not meet the mins when time came. Thanks!
IF you do not have the MINS for a RATP you're done, thats it. There is no grandfathering in anybody.

chopperleo
08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
IF you do not have the MINS for a RATP you're done, thats it. There is no grandfathering in anybody.
Thats what I thought. Whats your take on Saluk's post? Just curious because it sounds like the friend has not hit the mins.

gvinflight
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Chopper,
I posted my interview experience on aviationinterviews.com. It was a good experience at TSA, possible the easiest interview ever. Reserve is none, STL is a commutable base via driving, and the upgrade is calling for approximately 12 months. Keep in mind: its a regional. Its a step in the right direction. PM and I'll give you more details. I have class dates, but I'm still considering both.

FDX8891
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Are saying that you currently have a buddy at TSA that does not have the ATp mins? If so, was he grandfathered in? Just wondering how it worked for those guys who got hired in before August and did not meet the mins when time came. Thanks!

Of course he has ATP mins, but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that the companies upgrade mins are higher than ATP mins for insurance purposes...He's just waiting to hit those mins and then he can hold CPT.

Anyone care to elaborate on that?

TBucket
08-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Of course he has ATP mins, but my understanding (I could be wrong) is that the companies upgrade mins are higher than ATP mins for insurance purposes...He's just waiting to hit those mins and then he can hold CPT.

Exactly this. There are upgrade minimums you have to meet. They are above what is required for the ATP.

Riverside
08-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Our upgrade is higher than atp mins. But we do give credit for every hour you fly. So fly 500 hrs you are credited another 500hrs towards your upgrade min.

chopperleo
08-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Okay got it! I appreciate the explanation.

FlyingKat
08-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Not saying your incorrect in your feelings about TSA from the past. However there have been monumental changes in TSA over the last 6 months. Director of Operations, Manager of Training, System Chief Pilot and the Chief Pilot in IAD have all changed. The new Director of Operations has placed TSA on a different, more employee friendly path than the past. Just met with my new Chief Pilot in Dulles and he is a heck of a guy. With the exception of the new System Chief Pilot all the replacements are former Comair and are creating a much better environment to work in. So while I'm not saying you shouldn't consider the comments of past employees who have left here, and their feelings about their time at TSA, keep in mind you will be working for very different people if you come here.

minimwage4
08-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Go somewhere that's been stable and has contracts that wont run out in a year or two. You'll need at least a couple of years worth of experience to move on to the majors anyways. Don't look at just the upgrade possibility, that's a crapshoot.

ArcherDvr
08-24-2013, 09:15 AM
So far my experience at TSA has been positive with the exception of the Best Western hotel, but they've fixed that now and we are not staying there. Training was not hard as long as you studied and so much study material was available it was almost ridiculous. Out of 18 of us, only 2 did not pass. We all got IAD out of training but in Sep I'll already be back in STL which is great for me as I commute to PHX, 6 flights a day. :) As for upgrade, more planes, who knows. They told me in the interview 12-16 months, but I'm not banking on it. With the exception of having to do 1st year FO pay, I think my QOL is going to be a little better this year. Hopefully jokes not on me, lol.

chopperleo
08-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Hey Archer,
What were your time like? When did you apply and how long before you got the call?
So far my experience at TSA has been positive with the exception of the Best Western hotel, but they've fixed that now and we are not staying there. Training was not hard as long as you studied and so much study material was available it was almost ridiculous. Out of 18 of us, only 2 did not pass. We all got IAD out of training but in Sep I'll already be back in STL which is great for me as I commute to PHX, 6 flights a day. :) As for upgrade, more planes, who knows. They told me in the interview 12-16 months, but I'm not banking on it. With the exception of having to do 1st year FO pay, I think my QOL is going to be a little better this year. Hopefully jokes not on me, lol.

ArcherDvr
08-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Hey Archer,
What were your time like? When did you apply and how long before you got the call?

3600TT 600SIC Turbine/121 800multi. The correct answer for me is I've had my stuff in for years before they called me. But this year, I declined to interview at the beginning of the year, but when I finally decided to, they got back real quick, a few days maybe.

Captain Tony
08-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I think Trans States has a better future than Expressjet simply because they're one of the bottom feeders, and the majors want cheap above everything. Expressjet is the new Comair.

flynavyj
08-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Boo for higher upgrade times :p I was lucky enough to upgrade at Trans States with 1,515 hours total time. I did have an ICAO restriction on the ATP immediately, that would have kept me out of Canada/Mexico, but during that time frame TSA didn't fly to either.

WarpSpeed
08-25-2013, 09:05 AM
I think Trans States has a better future than Expressjet simply because they're one of the bottom feeders.

XJET has a bottomfeeder exemption? How so? Two of my good friends work there and tell me I am better off than they are. Of course this is probably your typical "be careful what you wish for" scenario, but please elaborate...Or did you mean XJet was a bottomfeeder? Not trying to be sarcastic.

RgrMurdock
08-25-2013, 10:08 AM
TSA is not really a bottom feeder. The contract is pretty good. Compensation is slightly above industry average for the size of aircraft. Health care sucks and 401k could be slightly better but other than that I don't have too many complaints.

FlyingKat
08-25-2013, 10:16 AM
TSA is not really a bottom feeder. The contract is pretty good. Compensation is slightly above industry average for the size of aircraft. Health care sucks and 401k could be slightly better but other than that I don't have too many complaints.

Plus the cancellation pay....

RgrMurdock
08-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Leg by leg. There's a lot of good things in the contract. I was just mentioning the couple of things I thought were lacking.

Riverside
08-25-2013, 11:26 AM
I had lunch with Things one and Two. They are working really hard to turn this company around. We got a lot of Comair guys in management that is working hard to turn this place into a better company. So we have a lot of good perks and overall a great company to work for now.

minimwage4
08-26-2013, 12:03 AM
I had lunch with Things one and Two. They are working really hard to turn this company around. We got a lot of Comair guys in management that is working hard to turn this place into a better company. So we have a lot of good perks and overall a great company to work for now.

No offense but I don't think you understand what a perk means! If by perk you mean we get to have a job with average pay and work rules then yes we do have lots of perks.

Captain Tony
08-26-2013, 04:29 AM
XJET has a bottomfeeder exemption? How so? Two of my good friends work there and tell me I am better off than they are. Of course this is probably your typical "be careful what you wish for" scenario, but please elaborate...Or did you mean XJet was a bottomfeeder? Not trying to be sarcastic.

I mean the concessionary 2004 XJT contract and the 2007 ASA contract are still better than TSA's most current in overall compensation and work rules. Congrats on finally getting cancellation pay that we've had since 1998. Tell me more about your soft time (duty rigs and min day).

CBreezy
08-26-2013, 04:34 AM
I mean the concessionary 2004 XJT contract and the 2007 ASA contract are still better than TSA's most current in overall compensation and work rules. Congrats on finally getting cancellation pay that we've had since 1998. Tell me more about your soft time (duty rigs and min day).

Yeah! Take that! You guys are stupid-heads.

osuav8r
08-26-2013, 06:21 AM

Listen to this guy. He speaks the truth. I was a 2005 hire there and it is by far the worst company I've ever worked for. I have also worked fast food, waited tables, CFI'd, flew night freight and I have never felt less respected as an employee and more abused than I did at TSA. Guys tried to warn me when I was interviewing and shortly after I was hired but I was too stubborn to listen. It took a couple years for it to sink in and I jumped ship to Skywest. Don't do what I did. Even if you upgrade fast, they are a bunch of miserable sob's to work for and you're going to hate your life.

RgrMurdock
08-26-2013, 06:40 AM
I knew the moment this threat started it would eventually go in the direction of "XJT is sooo much better than TSA." For the record, I never said I thought the TSA contract was better than the XJT contract. However, I object to TSA being labeled a bottom feeder airline when it is not. And things have improved greatly since 05 around here. Turning around an airline's culture and quality of life isn't like light turning on a light. It has to be done over a long period of time. Is it the best regional now? Far from it. And it probably was bottom feeder status then.