Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Best Chinese airlines

Moonwolf
09-24-2013, 12:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience working for a Chinese airline ? Particularly for a non rated pilot
I'm currently a regional f/o , no real turbine pic, any hope at all?

EXPAT1
09-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience working for a Chinese airline ? Particularly for a non rated pilot

Try Yangtze River, they have hired NTR FOs in the past. China is mostly for type rated Captains.

Probe
09-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Very little, or no opportunity for you in China, or anywhere else in eastern Asia.

If I were in your shoes I would try the sandbox.

Moonwolf
09-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Very little, or no opportunity for you in China, o. anywhere else in eastern Asia.

If I were in your shoes I would try the sandbox.

Thanks for the info. I noticed that etihad had a non rated f/o position. I'm not sure if I should make a jump without having pic time to fall back on. Tempting but waiting another couple years for an upgrade is going to be mind numbing ...

Probe
09-25-2013, 04:49 AM
I was 42 when I upgraded to Capt at an airline.

How old are you?

PotatoChip
09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
I was 42 when I upgraded to Capt at an airline.

How old are you?

No one asked you, no one cares. Good contribution.

Moonwolf
09-25-2013, 06:50 AM

28. Been at a regional for almost 3 years. Not even sure if im close to upgrading, still about 175 people in front of me. At the rate were going most likely another 3 . Just trying to check out other options.

gcpilot
09-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Of course people care here. Not that we would find his birthday and wish him happy birthday, but to compare and align our career with our expectations and age!

pilotrob23
09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Of course people care here. Not that we would find his birthday and wish him happy birthday, but to compare and align our career with our expectations and age!

I just turned 64, feeling good about the possibilities!

PDpilot2011
10-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Nice Job PotatoChip..

filejw
10-01-2013, 03:47 AM
How about we stop being stupid and just give him some advise. If he has the education required by the majors and I am assuming he is in the right seat of a CRJ, I would try to find a job that would get some TPIC. At 28 I wouldn't leave for overseas just yet as with all the hiring to be done soon here I don't think he needs. Would be applying to the majors now as not just Capt's will be getting the nod. Name of the game is make your resume look good. Don't forget the community service stuff .

Beaver Hunter
10-01-2013, 04:15 AM
Dragon Air, CX, SQ, and any other that allows a home base. Asia is great for a few years. But you don't want to live here forever.
There are always exceptions of course.
Cheers

DjHubberts
10-01-2013, 06:07 PM
For a non rated pilot, your options are limited. I would check out the ANA- air Japan contract as I know they hire a lot of non rated guys. Your problem with any of them is that most contracts want turbine pic time....not necessarily rated in the plane, but at least with command time.

Some of the other threads on here go into the problem with the dragon/Cathay route. It used to be great, but that well seems to be drying up as they no longer pay as much for housing and want mostly local pilots to be SOs.

DjHubberts
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM
The other option you might have, is look into the 'corporate' jobs here. The companies look kind of like netjets, where the richer Chinese buy time from them. But they are usually hiring non-typed guys.

Probe
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I really don't think he is qualified for any of the contract jobs in east Asia. But his demographic is exactly what EK, EY, Qatar, etc, are looking for.

You have to pay your dues and get jet PIC time somewhere before you get a contract job. Most contract jobs expect you to be current and qualified on a particular aircraft. The few that don't, like ANA, hire only very experienced pilots. A 28 year old CRJ FO is probably not competitive yet.

The Chinese "Netjets" are still in their infancy. Deer Jet is the only one that has been around for a while. They might be a good deal to get paid to fly very little. Not a good way to build time.

Pasargad
10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I noticed that etihad had a non rated f/o position. I'm not sure if I should make a jump without having pic time to fall back on. Tempting but waiting another couple years for an upgrade is going to be mind numbing ...

What do you got to lose? Just apply and see what happens then make your decision, the process it self to get an interview takes a while. good luck

PCLCREW
10-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Almost zero chance with no TR and no time in type.
Man your 28 and have only been there for 3 years. Give it time, I'm much older and have been stuck in the right seat for more then double the time you've put it.
You'll be fine.

ShyGuy
10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
"You have to pay your dues and get jet PIC time somewhere before you get a contract job."

Pay your dues? Yeah okay like TPIC is something pilots can control. Guys hired in 2004-2005 at many regionals faced a 1 to 2.5 yr upgrade. Many regional FOs hired in 2007-2008 are still FOs now with 6-7+ years of SIC time. So 2004 guys "paid their dues" as 2 year FOs simply due to timing, whereas current 6-7 year FOs haven't "paid their dues?"

Pay your dues = worst phrase in aviation. Every situation is different.

mooney
10-16-2013, 06:00 AM
"You have to pay your dues and get jet PIC time somewhere before you get a contract job."

Pay your dues? Yeah okay like TPIC is something pilots can control. Guys hired in 2004-2005 at many regionals faced a 1 to 2.5 yr upgrade. Many regional FOs hired in 2007-2008 are still FOs now with 6-7+ years of SIC time. So 2004 guys "paid their dues" as 2 year FOs simply due to timing, whereas current 6-7 year FOs haven't "paid their dues?"

Pay your dues = worst phrase in aviation. Every situation is different.

would you prefer the term "gain experience?"

Time2Fly
10-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Wait your turn seems to fit better

Probe
10-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Oh come on. They have been stuck as RJ FO's for over 18 months. They are coming up on 26 years old. They DESERVE it. And they are more than qualified.

HotPot
10-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Patato; you are so out of your element....

HotPot
10-26-2013, 06:23 AM

To your question. I think there is opportunity for you in the business sector in China. Although they are starting to advertise the corporate jobs, there is not really that many jobs at this time. Keep in touch with the recruiters. When the window opens it will be a steady good deal of opportunity. China has its good and bad. But after spending almost 5 years here; I am happy for the experience overall. Trust me, I do question my insanity per glass of wine.

MikeF16
10-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I think they're still looking for one current and qualified P-3 pilot...

Probe
10-26-2013, 05:05 PM
I was based at a high end beach resort on Hainan Island. More and more big yachts and private jets - that never move. Ever. I am not sure that both weren't just elaborate ways for the Chinese to move money offshore.

To fly a private aircraft, they have to submit a REQUEST and flight plan more than 36 hours prior, and they are often denied. It is currently not a very flexible way for a Chinese billionaire to move himself around.

It was even dumber for the yachts. To go to Shanghai, they had to stop and check in to immigration in every province along the way, and take aboard a ship pilot from that province.

The company I worked for also had an executive jet operation for more than 15 years. The local pilots I worked with all wanted to work for that subsidiary, because they almost never flew.

Someday maybe private jets will be big in China, but that day is not today. That doesn't mean they won't buy a bunch, and even hire a few pilots. You have to live in China to understand.

On second thought, I still don't understand. Not even close.

pierre66
12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
I was based at a high end beach resort on Hainan Island. More and more big yachts and private jets - that never move. Ever. I am not sure that both weren't just elaborate ways for the Chinese to move money offshore.

To fly a private aircraft, they have to submit a REQUEST and flight plan more than 36 hours prior, and they are often denied. It is currently not a very flexible way for a Chinese billionaire to move himself around.

It was even dumber for the yachts. To go to Shanghai, they had to stop and check in to immigration in every province along the way, and take aboard a ship pilot from that province.

The company I worked for also had an executive jet operation for more than 15 years. The local pilots I worked with all wanted to work for that subsidiary, because they almost never flew.

Someday maybe private jets will be big in China, but that day is not today. That doesn't mean they won't buy a bunch, and even hire a few pilots. You have to live in China to understand.

On second thought, I still don't understand. Not even close.
Probe, great insight on the China private aircraft/yacht situation. I see SO MANY beautiful new Gulfstreams, Falcons, etc. that JUST SIT. Some of the guys I have flown with over here have gone to Deer, BAA and others just so they can get a cool biz jet type and then sit around at decent pay.

All of these Chinese airlines need experienced foreign captains but in my opinion, they and most of the contract companies go about finding and hiring in a very "discombobulated" way......A lot of that is the constraints of the CAAC and Chinese culture. But most of it is just disorganization and very poor communication......

Look for that to change however as they gradually realize what they need to do to compete against the other big foreign airlines that are hiring. Some of the gigs here are really a good deal but right now you have to be the right sort of person to put up with immense bull****, incompetence and delay during the recruitment/training process. I think the private carriers here are starting to wake up to Western expectations, slowly but surely. But you must only come if you are a type rated captain with lots of experience and the ability to navigate the "Wild West"!

And yes, The longer I live in China, the less I understand it!

DjHubberts
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Probe, great insight on the China private aircraft/yacht situation. I see SO MANY beautiful new Gulfstreams, Falcons, etc. that JUST SIT. Some of the guys I have flown with over here have gone to Deer, BAA and others just so they can get a cool biz jet type and then sit around at decent pay.

All of these Chinese airlines need experienced foreign captains but in my opinion, they and most of the contract companies go about finding and hiring in a very "discombobulated" way......A lot of that is the constraints of the CAAC and Chinese culture. But most of it is just disorganization and very poor communication......

Look for that to change however as they gradually realize what they need to do to compete against the other big foreign airlines that are hiring. Some of the gigs here are really a good deal but right now you have to be the right sort of person to put up with immense bull****, incompetence and delay during the recruitment/training process. I think the private carriers here are starting to wake up to Western expectations, slowly but surely. But you must only come if you are a type rated captain with lots of experience and the ability to navigate the "Wild West"!

And yes, The longer I live in China, the less I understand it!

Awesome insight Pierre. Just when I start to think I understand something here, they throw a monkey wrench into the operations. The reason the pay is so high is that it compensates for the B.S. you have to deal with. Once you get into the system and learn to deal with some of it, it can be an ok experience.