Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Duksrule
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I am putting this here rather than in the training section because that section seems to be more initial flight training and I figured the folks here would have the most knowledge on different type ratings.

I am looking to use my 9/11 GI bill to get a type rating and ATP at the same time. I would like to get a king air type since I am currently flying a twin turboprop but I am not against getting a jet type. The only musts are that I can use the 9/11 GI bill and I would like to get my ATP while doing it.

Any ideas?

galaxy flyer
10-07-2013, 05:12 PM
King Air typed guys are a dime a dozen, so not that, besides they don't pay that well. A 737 rating is good, if SW is a goal. Most bizjet ratings might be too expensive- $50,000+. And risky, what one to get? Haven't a clue.

GF

BPWI
10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Network around the area in which you want to work, take note of aircraft utilized and then make your decision. Not sure of your experience level, but if you have any international background a Airbus or Boeing type may prove useful in the Asian and ME markets.

thurberm
10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Search this forum if you haven't already, lots of discussion on that here.

I'm pretty sure that you can do what you're looking for, but there may be limits. I looked into the type rating issue--but not combined with the ATP school, as I already have one-- myself last year.

Many schools accept the Chapter 33 (Post 9-11) G.I. Bill and have good experience dealing with the VA now that it's been around for awhile. Higher Power has it down to a science.

There's a $10,000 a year limit on type ratings, and it'll burn roughly the equivalent of a year of your benefit. You can't really get an expensive type (737 doable, G-V, not). You get no BAH while doing type training like you a do while getting a degree. Not really the most cost-effective use of the Chapter 33 benefit, probably more cost-effective if you're getting an ATP and a type together.

I believe there is also a limit on other (non-type rating) training though, 60% I think. Again, that wasn't my focus, so I'm not sure on that bit of it.

Not sure about what combining an ATP and a type will cost in terms of charge against your benefits, either.

I'd recommend a quick call to Sandy at Higher Power, she's super nice, super helpful, and can probably tell you what you want to know in 30 seconds.

MooneyWise
10-31-2013, 03:48 AM
Just did it.. Montgomery GI pays 60%, post 9/11 GI pays 100%. You can only use 1 (if you have that option). I looked for an Airbus rating in conjuction with an ATP check covered by the VA and couldn't find a school that fit all 3 requirements. Ended up going to Crew Pilot Training in Dallas for a 73. The owner handles all the VA paperwork, you just show up ready to go. You must pay up front ($7300) and wait for VA remittance after successful completion of the course.

Good luck and PM me if you have any further?'s

FWIW, my BE300/350 and CE500 types from FSI were at least 2.5 times more expensive. 73 is about as cheap as you can go. Be prepared to answer to a legacy carrier during an interview why you have a 73 type rating (think SWA requirement).

rommell2
11-11-2013, 06:52 AM
I used mine for LR-JET/ATP ratings. Started contracting on Lear's 35 and 31A's. Worked great for me. I networked around the FBO's before I decided on which type to get. FWIW, the LR-JET type covers a ton of aircraft.

Make sure you have a Class I physical when you show up.

Best of luck

casey135
11-11-2013, 07:42 AM
How much benefit did the VA take for that $7300? I've always assumed it would be at least 6mo worth.

crbnftprnt
11-12-2013, 07:01 PM
<<Make sure you have a Class I physical when you show up.>>

Class 3 medical is all that is required to obtain any certificate or rating. Rules changed a few years ago.

Twin Wasp
11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
If you're doing it in a sim, no medical is required.

Droopy
11-14-2013, 10:37 AM
If you're using the GI Bill per the subject line, a current Class 1 is required. Not a FAA requirement obviously, but a VA req.

REVERTEDRUBBER
12-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I used mine for LR-JET/ATP ratings. Started contracting on Lear's 35 and 31A's. Worked great for me. I networked around the FBO's before I decided on which type to get. FWIW, the LR-JET type covers a ton of aircraft.

Make sure you have a Class I physical when you show up.

Best of luck

I'm thinking of doing this. What Type would be best to contract in Chicago area?