Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19

View Full Version : Alaska Air Hiring

Beta82
09-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not an Alaska pilot

While I find it shocking that there are pilots doing that, they are doing it for PIC time. The poster seems to have enough of that now.

For the OP, even if QOL will be similar, at least Alaska is its own carrier. The former RJ pilots I've talked to jumpseating tend to say it is better than the regionals, even with all the problems.

Yes absolutely itís better than a regional, from the same position. From a 12 year position who holds all weekends off, holidays off, days off with kids, max vacation accrual. Etc. This guy probably gets good non rev benefits with a major.

Heís going to step into years of reserve(remember we arenít growing), stalled seniority progression, bad schedules once you get a line (12-13 days off), loss of decent non rev benefits, etc. IMHO itís a huge sacrifice for somewhere you should be planning on leaving. Yes the pay is better but THATíS IT. Iím only arguing that you should wait it out, do your carrer a favor. If you already lived in an AS base it might make sense, the the OP is talking about uprooting his life for mediocrity.

ImperialxRat
09-14-2018, 01:57 PM
How long would it take to hold LAX?

SEA LAX and ANC all possible out of training, with the majority of new hires going to SEA.

PDX takes about a year.

No idea about SFO since we're hiring into Boeing.

coolyokeluke
09-14-2018, 02:36 PM
SEA LAX and ANC all possible out of training, with the majority of new hires going to SEA.

PDX takes about a year.

No idea about SFO since we're hiring into Boeing.

Minor edit: ANC took about six months for my classmates, they pretty much filled it up with locals and it's not growing so it could be a while longer than 6months now.

PDX has gone increasingly senior, 1.5 years for the junior people who were recently awarded it and looking more like 2 years going forward.

Mostly SEA slots with a few LAX for new hires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Outdoors
09-14-2018, 06:13 PM
If you think the application process needs work wait till you use crew access for trip trades!

sargeanb
09-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. It's always tough to gauge from the outside looking in, but it sounds pretty rough at AS at the moment. I hope things change for the better for you all soon. Yes, I have grown pretty comfortable here...decent money, driving to work, 15-16 off a month, and some leverage since we are feeling the effects of the pilot shortage at the regional level. I can't complain. I suppose I'll continue waiting for the legacies or SWA to call. Thanks again.

Baradium
09-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Yes absolutely itís better than a regional, from the same position. From a 12 year position who holds all weekends off, holidays off, days off with kids, max vacation accrual. Etc. This guy probably gets good non rev benefits with a major.

Heís going to step into years of reserve(remember we arenít growing), stalled seniority progression, bad schedules once you get a line (12-13 days off), loss of decent non rev benefits, etc. IMHO itís a huge sacrifice for somewhere you should be planning on leaving. Yes the pay is better but THATíS IT. Iím only arguing that you should wait it out, do your carrer a favor. If you already lived in an AS base it might make sense, the the OP is talking about uprooting his life for mediocrity.

Last former RJ driver I talked to had been almost 20 years at a regional and is at Alaska now. He said he's very happy he made the jump and he is commuting from the midwest. You can always try to go to another airline after getting on with Alaska but at least there the company owns the flying.

OCCP
09-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Last former RJ driver I talked to had been almost 20 years at a regional and is at Alaska now. He said he's very happy he made the jump and he is commuting from the midwest. You can always try to go to another airline after getting on with Alaska but at least there the company owns the flying.

The man in question obviously has no standards.

ImperialxRat
09-14-2018, 08:40 PM
I got an email saying thanks for my interest in Alaska Airlines and that all resumes on file will be purged but to re-apply with this new window and continue to show interest. The email was from that Alaska Talent Community thing...

I've been a pilot at Alaska for 2 years now.

KnockKnock
09-15-2018, 06:33 AM
I got an email saying thanks for my interest in Alaska Airlines and that all resumes on file will be purged but to re-apply with this new window and continue to show interest. The email was from that Alaska Talent Community thing...

Haha! I think you just got fired!

full of luv
09-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Now wait for Smart Recruiters to contact you about some "exciting" opportunities at Horizon.....

echelon
09-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Haha! I think you just got fired!

Only a matter of time before they "fix the glitch!"

V1Rotate
09-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Why is there a different job posting for each domicile? Which one should I apply for? Should I apply to multiple?

morerightrudder
09-15-2018, 07:53 PM
Is it me, or are question numbers 4 and 5 in the Summary section exactly the same?

Reactivity
09-15-2018, 08:00 PM
If you think the application process needs work wait till you use crew access for trip trades!

You're saying you have a computer system for trip trades? I wonder what that's like.

DasSchwerin
09-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Is it me, or are question numbers 4 and 5 in the Summary section exactly the same?

I noticed that too

highside7r
09-16-2018, 11:57 AM
I was just filling out the application and ran into a problem. Page 2 of the application asks some VERY basic questions......can you legally work in the US......can you hold a class I physical etc. Very basic stuff. I answered all in a "positive" manner. When I hit the "next" button to go to page 3 I got a message saying I wasn't qualified for the job! WTF?

Now, the system will not let me back in to see what the problem might have been. Just gives me a message that I have already applied to the position.

Anybody else having an issue?

+1 here, thought it was my crap ISP here across the pond. Emailed Careers.

point432
09-16-2018, 12:34 PM
You're saying you have a computer system for trip trades? I wonder what that's like.

The app only took me 15 mins at the most really. Seemed painless. Trip trades...did you mention bidding? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactivity
09-16-2018, 01:11 PM
The app only took me 15 mins at the most really. Seemed painless. Trip trades...did you mention bidding?

It's painless once. Five times, not so much.

I didn't mention bidding, but since you bring it up - everybody uses pen and paper forms that they scan and email to crew planning, right? Isn't that the state of the art?

morerightrudder
09-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Why is there a different job posting for each domicile? Which one should I apply for? Should I apply to multiple?

They all have the same job ID. I think it's just a limitation of their system that a location has to be specified for the job, so they chose to list it under each of their bases.

MIkeFavinger
09-17-2018, 01:01 PM
I was just filling out the application and ran into a problem. Page 2 of the application asks some VERY basic questions......can you legally work in the US......can you hold a class I physical etc. Very basic stuff. I answered all in a "positive" manner. When I hit the "next" button to go to page 3 I got a message saying I wasn't qualified for the job! WTF?

Now, the system will not let me back in to see what the problem might have been. Just gives me a message that I have already applied to the position.

Same exact thing happened to me. I'll email them.

Reactivity
09-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Same exact thing happened to me. I'll email them.

Please report back what you hear. Somebody else who had that problem contacted them and was informed that he had answered that he didn't have a HS diploma, even though he was sure he had not answered that way. Alaska seemed uninterested in fixing the problem.

saundej
09-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Same thing happened to me. I wrote email. Hopefully I hear something soon.

opdeliber
09-17-2018, 03:44 PM
I donít get emails back when I send in safety concerns.. I wouldnít hold my breath about an application question being answered. Same thing happened to me. I wrote email. Hopefully I hear something soon.

thwhite2000
09-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Please report back what you hear. Somebody else who had that problem contacted them and was informed that he had answered that he didn't have a HS diploma, even though he was sure he had not answered that way. Alaska seemed uninterested in fixing the problem.

They wonít fix the problem, but if you reapply with a different email, you can still get your app in.

Jet J
09-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. It's always tough to gauge from the outside looking in, but it sounds pretty rough at AS at the moment. I hope things change for the better for you all soon. Yes, I have grown pretty comfortable here...decent money, driving to work, 15-16 off a month, and some leverage since we are feeling the effects of the pilot shortage at the regional level. I can't complain. I suppose I'll continue waiting for the legacies or SWA to call. Thanks again.

I wouldn’t base a major decision like that off what the haters on this thread say.

saundej
09-18-2018, 08:54 AM
They wonít fix the problem, but if you reapply with a different email, you can still get your app in.

I received an email reply from the Alaska Hiring board saying that I checked ďnoĒ on my High School graduation... I graduated and can not imagine how I could have made that mistake.

Reactivity
09-18-2018, 09:25 AM
I received an email reply from the Alaska Hiring board saying that I checked ďnoĒ on my High School graduation... I graduated and can not imagine how I could have made that mistake.

You and several other people, apparently. You'd think they would start to get the idea that something is wrong.

OCCP
09-18-2018, 10:18 AM
It wonít be fixed because Alaska never makes mistakes and is never wrong. Itís your fault and you need to prove you really want to work here and have what it takes to be an AS pilot

EskimoJoe
09-18-2018, 10:23 AM
It wonít be fixed because Alaska never makes mistakes and is never wrong. Itís your fault and you need to prove you really want to work here and have what it takes to be an AS pilot
Iíd suggest you go find another job, but I suspect you and I both know youíre never going to be offered one. Maybe get a life and the possibility of broader concerns? Spewing hate all day at an entity that literally doesnít give a flying f*ck what you think seems like a huge waste of life and happiness.

esa17
09-18-2018, 11:01 AM
What are the odds theyíd pickup a guy without any 121 time?

Ispeakjive
09-18-2018, 12:29 PM

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Reactivity
09-18-2018, 06:46 PM
What are the odds they’d pickup a guy without any 121 time?

They'll tell you that you don't need 121 time to get hired. But then one of the first questions a recruiter will ask you is, "So, do you have any 121 time?"

I know of people who have been hired without 121 time. One of them had a personal connection to the system chief pilot. The other lived in Anchorage.

Most of my career has been in 135. I have a couple thousand hours of multiengine jet PIC time including 17 years of flying in and around Southeast Alaska. I've been applying to Alaska continuously since at least 2012. I've been to the various recruiting events. The first time I made any headway with them was the first time I reapplied (which happens on a roughly annual basis) after getting a 121 job and stopped going to the recruiting events.

You do the math.

Kitchen25
09-18-2018, 06:52 PM
What are the odds theyíd pickup a guy without any 121 time?

My class about a year ago had three people with only 135 experience including myself. It was a class of 12. If you put in the work at job fairs and you have PIC Jet time, I think your chances are still fairly good.

Beta82
09-19-2018, 06:21 AM
I wouldnít base a major decision like that off what the haters on this thread say.

I would. Anyone defending Alaska has their head in the sand. Every American, Delta, Southwest, United guy I have in my jumpseat is happy. Almost everyone at our company isnít. Itís real simple.

symbian simian
09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Iíd suggest you go find another job, but I suspect you and I both know youíre never going to be offered one. Maybe get a life and the possibility of broader concerns? Spewing hate all day at an entity that literally doesnít give a flying f*ck what you think seems like a huge waste of life and happiness.

Maybe he isn't the problem? There is more than a few people on here trying to get their dream job at AAG, and can't get an interview because the website is not working. That is a very good reason to get angry IMO.

OCCP
09-19-2018, 08:37 AM
I would. Anyone defending Alaska has their head in the sand. Every American, Delta, Southwest, United guy I have in my jumpseat is happy. Almost everyone at our company isnít. Itís real simple.

This is true. Believe it or not I actually do have friends and theyíre all happy at their Airlines. They are experiencing upward movement and growth and good contracts and direction. While all we get at this dump is emails from the top telling us how cutting routes, slowing growth a few times and running away from competition is how we are going to come out on top, but only if we cut costs.

tm602
09-19-2018, 11:17 AM
This is true. Believe it or not I actually do have friends and theyíre all happy at their Airlines. They are experiencing upward movement and growth and good contracts and direction. While all we get at this dump is emails from the top telling us how cutting routes, slowing growth a few times and running away from competition is how we are going to come out on top, but only if we cut costs.

Looks like someone got a hold of the NJA playbook.

barnstormer50
09-19-2018, 03:05 PM

These were a double headed question as I found,,, make sure you read the box that you're checking,,, just because all the yes's are on the top doesn't mean the second double-headed question has a yes on the top I found that it has the no on the top so you can easily check no instead of yes. So pay attention and maybe that's what they're looking for I don't know.

TroutBum
09-20-2018, 07:42 AM
So pay attention and maybe that's what they're looking for I don't know.

Is that like that test they used to hand out in elementary school with the caveat to read the instructions carefully before completing the test? And the instructions say to fill in your name, ignore the questions, and hand the test back to your teacher?

JetDoc
09-20-2018, 07:49 AM
These were a double headed question as I found,,, make sure you read the box that you're checking,,, just because all the yes's are on the top doesn't mean the second double-headed question has a yes on the top I found that it has the no on the top so you can easily check no instead of yes. So pay attention and maybe that's what they're looking for I don't know.

Not true. I got the same response as others have posted about being disqualified for checking "no" to the H.S. diploma question. I quadruple checked the form before I submitted. This morning I received this email acknowledging the "glitch".

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the First Officer Position. In completing the application, our records show you answered "no" to the question "do you have a high school diploma." Unfortunately, this may have resulted in the disqualification of your application. If in fact you do not have a high school diploma, no further action is required at this time. However, if you do have a high school diploma, please complete the attached form and reply to this email with a copy of your resume as well as your letters of recommendation.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this matter.

Regards,

The Recruitment Team

Klsytakesit
09-20-2018, 02:28 PM
All of these glitches yíall are experiencing are just the norm for Alaska Airlines. They show up everywhere, everyday. From fuel trucks to pay checks. Our airline systems are built to handle about 1200 pilots and 115 737ís. That core runs flawlessly everyday. Everything above that is just a circus. No need to get upset about it...Just the way it is.

TransWorld
09-20-2018, 05:11 PM
I knew a guy a long time ago who left high school at age 16 without a diploma so he could enter college. He eventually got a PhD. Guess he would be disqualified.

I should add, he eventually became Superintendent of Schools in a pretty good size school district.

av8or
09-20-2018, 05:45 PM
All of these glitches yíall are experiencing are just the norm for Alaska Airlines. They show up everywhere, everyday. From fuel trucks to pay checks. Our airline systems are built to handle about 1200 pilots and 115 737ís. That core runs flawlessly everyday. Everything above that is just a circus. No need to get upset about it...Just the way it is.

Kasher.... 😡😂

cmrflyer
09-21-2018, 12:02 PM
The above is so true. These people are clueless in how to run a little airline. They still think they are running a ma and pa regional.
All you have to do is look at the W2s to know what they think of this place.
Nobody should ever help this company, this company needs to help itself.

OCCP
09-21-2018, 08:52 PM
The chief pilot newsletter mentions the low pilot morale, it was the second time it was brought up in an email recently. Apparently they hear it loud and clear and itís their top priority to reverse this trend[emoji849]. Whatever

I call bs. They donít care

All talk, no action as usual

KnockKnock
09-22-2018, 07:53 AM
The chief pilot newsletter mentions the low pilot morale, it was the second time it was brought up in an email recently. Apparently they hear it loud and clear and itís their top priority to reverse this trend[emoji849]. Whatever

I call bs. They donít care

All talk, no action as usual
I agree. While I’m glad to see they’re finally forced to face the situation and acknowledge the current environment, I’m not convinced they feel responsibility for any of it. The way I read it, SD’s email pretty much says the cause of all of this is the merger and the associated process. In turn, our emotions are high. So instead of admitting to the many failures of management and their outright refusal to work with us, he places the blame on us, basically saying it’s our inability to process this merger, letting our emotions get the better of us. This just further proves what they think of us. We’re just a bunch of spoiled, over emotional little brats that aren’t grateful enough for what our daddies give us. GMAFB

Arctichicken
09-22-2018, 02:11 PM
We have hope, ladies and gentlemen. Hope that someday soon a big boy management team with vision, leadership, and balls will purchase this excuse of an airline. I thought I'd never say this but sad to say, this is how I feel along with many of my peers and coworkers. This BOD and management are completely blindsided by the mighty dollar resulting in insatiable greed. It's a cancer that has spread like a wild fire and the odds of survival appear to be very slim. They are in a burning house, only moments from demise but are going about as if nothing's wrong. Instead of looking in the mirror, they point to everyone else for their failures. Every time I go to work, I'm embarrassed at how poorly this operation is run and mismanaged. Instead of taking charge of the situation, all they do is point the finger at its employees.
It saddens me that this management group has chosen to take this path. I can't speak for the other work groups but this pilot group is on the verge of implosion. Termination of Garin put the final nail in the coffin in my opinion. This is like a bad movie where each of our family members are infected one by one with a deadly virus. Instead of fixing the problem which can quite easily be done such as abiding by the contract for starters, this management group chooses to pour more fuel to the fire and hide behind their pride, ego, and emotions. The minions of upper management should be ashamed of themselves as well. You know who you are. Keep blaming everything on this merger and we will all go down in the history books soon. No amount of money spent on Flight Path, classrooms, and seminars will ever fix the real problems at hand, oh but you already knew that! Venting over.
For those aspiring to come here, consider yourselves warned.

OCCP
09-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Arctichicken summed it up perfectly

Saltlife85
09-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Very very well said. All of us are burnt out. This management team has completely destroyed morale and they truly have no vision and/or plan for the airline. 2020 is going to be a long battle and bloodbath. Hopefully one of the big 4 buy us before too long.

echelon
09-22-2018, 07:54 PM
We have hope, ladies and gentlemen. Hope that someday soon a big boy management team with vision, leadership, and balls will purchase this excuse of an airline. I thought I'd never say this but sad to say, this is how I feel along with many of my peers and coworkers. This BOD and management are completely blindsided by the mighty dollar resulting in insatiable greed. It's a cancer that has spread like a wild fire and the odds of survival appear to be very slim. They are in a burning house, only moments from demise but are going about as if nothing's wrong. Instead of looking in the mirror, they point to everyone else for their failures. Every time I go to work, I'm embarrassed at how poorly this operation is run and mismanaged. Instead of taking charge of the situation, all they do is point the finger at its employees.
It saddens me that this management group has chosen to take this path. I can't speak for the other work groups but this pilot group is on the verge of implosion. Termination of Garin put the final nail in the coffin in my opinion. This is like a bad movie where each of our family members are infected one by one with a deadly virus. Instead of fixing the problem which can quite easily be done such as abiding by the contract for starters, this management group chooses to pour more fuel to the fire and hide behind their pride, ego, and emotions. The minions of upper management should be ashamed of themselves as well. You know who you are. Keep blaming everything on this merger and we will all go down in the history books soon. No amount of money spent on Flight Path, classrooms, and seminars will ever fix the real problems at hand, oh but you already knew that! Venting over.
For those aspiring to come here, consider yourselves warned.

I agree with the rest of the post and I'm trying to punch out of here as hard as anyone else but is the bolded part really unique to Alaska? EVERY company's management is focused on cutting costs and making money for their shareholders - that's their job! None of this is personal, even I think in spite of BM's tonedeaf remarks about being "willing to sacrifice management's relationship with the pilot group" or whatever he said. They're only going to pay us and give us QOL and job protection as much as they're absolutely forced to, no company just spends money for no reason. Why should AS be an exception? As long as the D-0 remains unaffected and we keep winning JD Power Awards for "Best Customer Satisfaction Among Seattle Based Almost Exclusively West Coast Airlines With Between 220 and 230 Airplanes," what is their incentive to pay up?

Arctichicken
09-22-2018, 08:41 PM
I agree with the rest of the post and I'm trying to punch out of here as hard as anyone else but is the bolded part really unique to Alaska? EVERY company's management is focused on cutting costs and making money for their shareholders - that's their job! None of this is personal, even I think in spite of BM's tonedeaf remarks about being "willing to sacrifice management's relationship with the pilot group" or whatever he said. They're only going to pay us and give us QOL and job protection as much as they're absolutely forced to, no company just spends money for no reason. Why should AS be an exception? As long as the D-0 remains unaffected and we keep winning JD Power Awards for "Best Customer Satisfaction Among Seattle Based Almost Exclusively West Coast Airlines With Between 220 and 230 Airplanes," what is their incentive to pay up?
You’re absolutely right. It is indeed management’s job to turn maximum profits for the shareholders and BOD. The problem that we, the employees, see that is disturbing are the extreme measures that they are taking in destroying morale and going out of their way in an effort to take complete control of this pilot group. It’s mind boggling to see this management group revert back to 90s abusive and extreme militant tactics that not only violate our CBA but denigrate this pilot group on both professional as well as our personal front. This management is beyond blind of their own doing due to their ego, greed, arrogance, and perception of invincibility. It’s even more perturbing when every other management group is taking the team-building path while this management chooses to swim upstream. They can sure talk the talk but won’t walk the walk. It’s time to step down when you as the leader have to put down your true and faithful servant because he speaks the truth, thus revealing your weaknesses and true colors. Woe to the cowards.

SideFlare
09-22-2018, 09:20 PM
I just attempted to apply again... Got past the first page and was told my application was submitted. Following attempts were met with ďyouíve already applied... Thank you.Ē

Awesome...

echelon
09-22-2018, 10:06 PM
I just attempted to apply again... Got past the first page and was told my application was submitted. Following attempts were met with ďyouíve already applied... Thank you.Ē

Awesome...

Airlines that are serious about trying to hire pilots don't have these issues.

Retractable
09-23-2018, 06:37 AM
Very very well said. All of us are burnt out. This management team has completely destroyed morale and they truly have no vision and/or plan for the airline. 2020 is going to be a long battle and bloodbath. Hopefully one of the big 4 buy us before too long.

I think thereís more truth to what you suggest than you think.

Thereís one good round of consolidation left.

It likely wonít pop until the next recession though.

jbeauv
09-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Airlines that are serious about trying to hire pilots don't have these issues.

I attempted to apply and was disqualified for being a nicotine user in the previous 6 months? And I am pretty sure I checked no on that box. Hhmmm,

full of luv
09-23-2018, 11:21 AM
I attempted to apply and was disqualified for being a nicotine user in the previous 6 months? And I am pretty sure I checked no on that box. Hhmmm,

It says no nicotine so are Cigars ok??...

ShyGuy
09-23-2018, 11:58 AM
On the verge of demise? What?

Flyboy8784
09-23-2018, 12:15 PM
I hope everyone here, plans on expressing these points at the Koolaid Event that starts in October. We've seen time and time again, that a 4 alarm fire is ok by Mgmt....but a 5 alarm fire gets attention.

its up to all of us to make it a 6 alarm :cool:

unity unity unity!

waflyboy
09-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Awesome...

I can't even get that far. After I login and click the "Apply" button on the job posting, it asks me to login again. I do, and am returned to the landing page. So I search for the job posting, click apply, and it asks me to login again....

IFlyNFish
09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
I can't even get that far. After I login and click the "Apply" button on the job posting, it asks me to login again. I do, and am returned to the landing page. So I search for the job posting, click apply, and it asks me to login again....

After youíre done updating your other apps on any platform, then try using a PC and internet explorer to finish your AS application.

Also make sure to use a gmail account. For some reason there may be issues with other addresses.

ImperialxRat
09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
It says no nicotine so are Cigars ok??...

Nope, no nicotine: cigarettes, dip, chew, cigars, vape, snuff, snus, pipe, etc.

There is a pre-employment nicotine test when you go to interview. After hired here then you can do as you please... we had a management type in our new hire class giving us a welcome aboard speech with a fat dip in his mouth.

EDIT: Make sure to click no to that question or you will be disqualified.

Reactivity
09-23-2018, 07:15 PM
After hired here then you can do as you please... we had a management type in our new hire class giving us a welcome aboard speech with a fat dip in his mouth.

How appealing. So professional.

full of luv
09-24-2018, 05:37 AM
Nope, no nicotine: cigarettes, dip, chew, cigars, vape, snuff, snus, pipe, etc.

There is a pre-employment nicotine test when you go to interview. After hired here then you can do as you please... we had a management type in our new hire class giving us a welcome aboard speech with a fat dip in his mouth.

EDIT: Make sure to click no to that question or you will be disqualified.

So how many days/months/years does it take a golf course Cigar to not show up on a nicotine test? Do they take a hair sample, interview friends and does the question ask "have you EVER used tobacco (nicotine) in the past"? or does it say do you "currently" use nicotine products?

Maybe on the instructors case it was just a wad of bubblegum.... or nicotine free snuff?

Pretty soon they'll ask if you have ever or intend to use drinking straws in the past or present. Then I can check NO as they don't work well with Bourbon and/or Beer!

Reactivity
09-24-2018, 05:49 AM
So how many days/months/years does it take a golf course Cigar to not show up on a nicotine test?

It's a urine test. A quick reading of this page (https://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/82510) says two-ish weeks for regular users. If it's just a once-in-a-while thing, probably much less.

av8trinabarrel
09-24-2018, 06:27 AM
It's a urine test. A quick reading of this page (https://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/82510) says two-ish weeks for regular users. If it's just a once-in-a-while thing, probably much less.
Back in March I was given the mouth swab for the nic test ( absolutely nasty after taste it leaves in your mouth). After the the mouth swab itís straight into the head to do the urine test.

Dashbro
09-24-2018, 08:15 AM
What about the VX guys now? Are they going to get the swab? All evil nicotine users are FIRED!

full of luv
09-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Back in March I was given the mouth swab for the nic test ( absolutely nasty after taste it leaves in your mouth). After the the mouth swab itís straight into the head to do the urine test.

What would you compare the after taste too?

NotTellin
09-24-2018, 10:47 AM
What about the VX guys now? Are they going to get the swab? All evil nicotine users are FIRED!

That question was asked at the rah rah sessions in the beginning. The answer was itís strictly a pre employment requirement. Smokers are safe since you were already hired.

Caution Terrain
09-25-2018, 07:32 AM
How is DM for a Chief?

Ala5ka
09-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Obviously not great for pilots.. otherwise he would have been canned too. How is DM for a Chief?

Dashbro
09-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Window is already closed. That was quick. How many do you think they want from this window?

Outdoors
09-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Window is already closed. That was quick. How many do you think they want from this window?

12 new hires effective june 1 2019 is current vacancy I believe.

AtlCSIP
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
12 new hires effective june 1 2019 is current vacancy I believe.

January 1, 2019, I think. Not June.

Avi8tor441
09-25-2018, 05:05 PM
They are looking to fill just 12 spots for January? Is that correct?

AtlCSIP
09-25-2018, 06:01 PM
They are looking to fill just 12 spots for January? Is that correct?

Actually, not necessarily. Right now we just have a vacancy bid that includes 12 new hire slots. More than likely we will end up with a pool of 20 to 30 more to cover classes in Q1, 2019. This is just a guess based on past trends, but I would be surprised if it were not close. We’ll retire more than 12 between now and the end of the year, if I recall correctly.

Reactivity
09-25-2018, 07:00 PM

Last year, it was 400 that quickly became 110. Anybody's guess what it will be this year, but probably not that many. At least that's what I'm planning on until my phone rings.

Klsytakesit
09-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Previous bid was cancelled. New bid has 12 captain positions on it. Effective 4/01/19. That of course is the day before the Airbus pilots join us on JCTE. Any bid with an effective date of 4/02/19 or beyond will be open to both fleets. This bid has no newhires associated with it. That according to the official posting. What the base chief liars are saying is anybodies guess.

Avi8tor441
09-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I just did my first 121 app after 10 years of 135. I'm sure they want to carry over folks from Horizon rather than some rando street guy with no 121 time. Thought I would throw the app in anyway living in the PNW.

ShyGuy
09-25-2018, 08:51 PM
Previous bid was cancelled. New bid has 12 captain positions on it. Effective 4/01/19. That of course is the day before the Airbus pilots join us on JCTE. Any bid with an effective date of 4/02/19 or beyond will be open to both fleets. This bid has no newhires associated with it. That according to the official posting. What the base chief liars are saying is anybodies guess.

I thought JCTE cutover is for March 2 for the March bid period?

waterboy
09-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I just did my first 121 app after 10 years of 135. I'm sure they want to carry over folks from Horizon rather than some rando street guy with no 121 time. Thought I would throw the app in anyway living in the PNW.

Iím going to say that would be an incorrect assumption. If they hire a horizon pilot, that means that necessitates a secondary training event because they now have to spend money to replace the horizon pilot they just hired at mainline.

With that being said, I believe there is some sort of flow program they are trying to set up.

Apply and good luck. While Alaska isnít an awful place to work, there are better options out there. I highly suggest you apply to them as well.

Klsytakesit
09-25-2018, 11:53 PM
I thought JCTE cutover is for March 2 for the March bid period?
Was recalling from memory( bad idea). And another correction: The bid closure date is what determines eligibility not effective date.

AltoCumulus
09-26-2018, 04:39 AM
How is DM for a Chief?

He is definitely not GT.

Arctichicken
09-26-2018, 07:16 AM
He is definitely not GT.

SD will go far at this company. He is very much like TK if that says anything.

Gary et al
09-26-2018, 10:52 AM
So from the sounds of this thread the luster at AS has tarnished quite sometime ago and the light at the end isn't visible yet. I'm Frontier and it is absolutely horrible over here right now, a contract, whenever that happens we'll at least afford for some better lube so the long shaft from mgmt glides a little more smoothly, but it will still suck.

I've read back only about 5 pages, and I'll dig back further. But is it worse than Frontier? Or just same **** different paint job?

From what I can gather is with the small size of new hire classes that are planned, little growth on the horizon, and a young group with few retirements, basically unless mgmt decides they want to grow they have no incentive to treat the pilots right. And if they are only hiring small classes of 12 here and there, realistically that is very easy to fill even if they treat people like crap. Is that the consensus?

ImperialxRat
09-26-2018, 11:01 AM

In a class of 12 they usually limit the Horizon peeps to 4 of those spots.

My class of 12 had 4 Horizon, 2 military, and 2 part 135, and the rest were from other regionals.

AtlCSIP
09-26-2018, 11:11 AM
So from the sounds of this thread the luster at AS has tarnished quite sometime ago and the light at the end isn't visible yet. I'm Frontier and it is absolutely horrible over here right now, a contract, whenever that happens we'll at least afford for some better lube so the long shaft from mgmt glides a little more smoothly, but it will still suck.

I've read back only about 5 pages, and I'll dig back further. But is it worse than Frontier? Or just same **** different paint job?

From what I can gather is with the small size of new hire classes that are planned, little growth on the horizon, and a young group with few retirements, basically unless mgmt decides they want to grow they have no incentive to treat the pilots right. And if they are only hiring small classes of 12 here and there, realistically that is very easy to fill even if they treat people like crap. Is that the consensus?

I would not agree that the above is the consensus, although you can argue that there is some truth there. Short answer, itís still a great job and the checks always cash, but we all know it could be much better. There are things that happen that we donít agree with, and are hopeful to make some of those things better in the next contract. It would appear that most of us are concerned about the lack of main line growth, the increase in regional growth, and the apparent lack of vision from the top. Compared to what my friends at Frontier say, it is certainly better than what you folks have to deal with. Donít come here for the quick upgrade, however, since we donít have one, and likely never will, but youíll fly with a great group of pilots.

Kerizbro
09-27-2018, 01:21 PM
For the guys/gals that got denied due to the high school thing, did you receive an email of your disqualification or how did you find out?

ShyGuy
09-27-2018, 01:47 PM
The main point of contention for a lot of people is the merger and its related consequences. Some of us lost a base and commuting 2,000nm+ or having to move across country. For some it’s going to be a hit on seniority in the SLI process and that award is due next month.

But no, Alaska isn’t Frontier. The hourly pay increase was 16-32% depending on which pre merger airline, retirement for those on the DC goes to 15.5% Jan which is within 0.5% of the big legacy airlines. No scope is a serious issue. But I’m not sure that’s entirely AS company fault as much as it is the pilot group for never having really fought for it. Scheduling stuff and reserve rules are not good at all but for someone who lives in base, they’re doable. And since most of Alaska pilots live in base (huge majority) the contract reflects it as such.

My conclusion is Alaska is a good place to work but my (and others) current view is skewed with merger pains. I don’t believe the gloom and doom, I think AS will be fine and is a good place to work assuming you plan to live in base or live on the west coast.

Flitestar
09-27-2018, 09:55 PM
The fact that lack of scope may be the pilots group or management's fault does not make it better or worse. Working for a company without job protection cannot be a "good place to work", regardless of whether you commute or live in base.

AS as a steppng stone? Maybe...AS to hang your hat? Hell no.

KnockKnock
09-28-2018, 06:26 AM
The fact that lack of scope may be the pilots group or management's fault does not make it better or worse. Working for a company without job protection cannot be a "good place to work", regardless of whether you commute or live in base.

AS as a steppng stone? Maybe...AS to hang your hat? Hell no.
Didn’t you come from a company without scope? There are a lot of people hanging their hats here and those of us that are, plan on improving what needs improvement. Feel free to join us or leave, either way, it benefits the group.

JetDoc
09-28-2018, 07:38 AM
For the guys/gals that got denied due to the high school thing, did you receive an email of your disqualification or how did you find out?

When you tried to submit the page and move on to the next one. a page came up stating in part that you were not qualified due to an answer you supplied on the previous page. When I emailed recruiting they told me that I had answered "no" to the diploma question when I was positive that I had answered yes. Happened to a bunch of people.

Flitestar
09-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Didnít you come from a company without scope? There are a lot of people hanging their hats here and those of us that are, plan on improving what needs improvement. Feel free to join us or leave, either way, it benefits the group.

Those of you that are stuck at AS for whatever reason (seniority, family reasons, financial reasons, etc) along with those who want to stay willingly should definitely advocate for fighting the good fight, it needs to happen, no doubt, I'm with you there. Reality is it will take a whole lotta fighting to try to get back what the pilot group deserves and haven't been able/willing to get in the last 15-20 years.

Getting scope back and a leading pilot contract starting in 2020 is going to be a really long and tough one but needs to happen.

Doesn't matter how you slice it, coming to AS now and planning to stay long term is not a good move in my opinion, particularly with our management types and our current situation. Long term job protection is a lot more important than a lot of you guys/gals seem to think it is.

This is an AS Hiring thread, potential new hires should know what they're getting into: if you have options at the other big boy airlines, go and don't look back. If you don't, come to AS until you do.

Do yourself and your family a favor and don't come to Alaska thinking things will change soon or banking on another merger/buyout or some other hail mary. It'll take a long time and a long arduous fight before things improve enough.

FS

waflyboy
09-28-2018, 11:42 AM
When you tried to submit the page and move on to the next one. a page came up stating in part that you were not qualified due to an answer you supplied on the previous page. When I emailed recruiting they told me that I had answered "no" to the diploma question when I was positive that I had answered yes. Happened to a bunch of people.

When I was finally able to access the application, something like this must have happened to me because after I submitted the questionnaire, the system immediately told me that I didn't meet the qualifications. I'm sure I meet the qualifications and provided commensurate answers.

Singlecoil
09-28-2018, 12:27 PM
The Alaska pilot pictured on our careers page (a top notch pilot and guy) quit and went to one of the big three. He is flying the line there now and yet his picture is still on our recruitment page. That should tell you all you need to know about how on top of things Alaska Airlines is.
https://careers.alaskaair.com/Alaska-Main.asp

Packrat
09-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Getting scope back and a leading pilot contract...

You can't get back something you never had. 92%. Remember that number.

Flitestar
09-28-2018, 02:49 PM
You can't get back something you never had. 92%. Remember that number.

I stand corrected.

*"getting scope - for the first time- and a leading contract..."

There. :cool:

av8or
09-28-2018, 03:36 PM
On a positive note ďweĒ are EXPANDING!!!.... to Texas!!!..... from Seattle..... in ERJ175ís. Wooo hooo!! Iím excited!!! 😂

ImperialxRat
09-28-2018, 06:03 PM
On a positive note ďweĒ are EXPANDING!!!.... to Texas!!!..... from Seattle..... in ERJ175ís. Wooo hooo!! Iím excited!!! 😂

Flights start Feb 2019 so that is part of ďourĒ 2% growth for the year. SEA-ELP and SAN-ELP.

NewGuy01
09-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Trust me you donít want a 30 hr layover in ELP

Excargodog
09-28-2018, 07:52 PM

Be grateful. The first aircraft Horizon flew, IIRC, was a leased DC-9-10.

Contractually speaking, there is nothing to stop AAG from having Horizon fly 737s and Airbuses...

av8or
09-28-2018, 09:21 PM

Contractually speaking, there is nothing to stop AAG from having Horizon fly 737s and Airbuses...

Iím well aware of that. New wind blowing outa the east and south of Seattle though. 😎

OCCP
09-29-2018, 06:37 AM
Theyíll end up cancelling these routes just like the recent ABQ cuts.

Saltlife85
09-29-2018, 09:28 AM
And SFO-IND, JFK-LAS, JFK-PSP, LAX-MCO, LAX-CUN, SFO-FLL. I think thatís it for now. Oh yeah and all of DAL routes soon. Yeah, thatís about it.

Reactivity
09-29-2018, 10:37 AM

That would be the first jet that Horizon flew.

The first aircraft Horizon operated were F-27s.

ImperialxRat
09-29-2018, 11:28 AM
and sfo-ind, jfk-las, jfk-psp, lax-mco, lax-cun, sfo-fll. I think that’s it for now. Oh yeah and all of dal routes soon. Yeah, that’s about it.

lax-mex, sfo-mex, sfo-cun

Ala5ka
09-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Guys relax.. they found out that 65 whole people wanted to go from Seattle to el passo.. 85% full rjs are a great reason to start a route. Getting rid of all of those FULL MAINLINE routes was a good move..we need to cater to the 65 people that travel between sea and El Paso daily

Pogey Bait
09-29-2018, 03:51 PM
With all of those cut routes, where are the buses driving to nowadays? From what I can remember, most of those routes did quite well with the exception of CUN, due to yields.

Foofighterpilot
09-29-2018, 06:17 PM
And as we retreat into our foxholes or closets or what ever you fancy, Southwest is killing it all over and not just California. What is truly the reason????? Its got to be American is buying us!!! ok ok, RELAX, that would be a new thread.

Ala5ka
09-30-2018, 06:25 AM
Has anyone been to our terminal in sfo on a Sunday afternoon/evening lately? Itís quiet as a library, less and less people buzzing around. Theyíre all over at Southwest and United... despite what that squeaky idiotic Australian financial guy at airgroup says, our airplanes are leaving less and less full in California And as we retreat into our foxholes or closets or what ever you fancy, Southwest is killing it all over and not just California. What is truly the reason????? Its got to be American is buying us!!! ok ok, RELAX, that would be a new thread.

ImperialxRat
09-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Has anyone been to our terminal in sfo on a Sunday afternoon/evening lately? Itís quiet as a library, less and less people buzzing around. Theyíre all over at Southwest and United... despite what that squeaky idiotic Australian financial guy at airgroup says, our airplanes are leaving less and less full in California

It's because our labor is too expensive and rising fuel costs.

Kerizbro
09-30-2018, 01:54 PM

Yeah I was reading about it, just didnít know how you guys found out. I never got that error message, thanks for the reply.

If anyone gets a response from recruitment please post it.

rickair7777
10-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Has anyone been to our terminal in sfo on a Sunday afternoon/evening lately? Itís quiet as a library, less and less people buzzing around. Theyíre all over at Southwest and United... despite what that squeaky idiotic Australian financial guy at airgroup says, our airplanes are leaving less and less full in California

Ummm, it's early Oct? Usually pretty slow right now.

av8or
10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Ummm, it's early Oct? Usually pretty slow right now.

Yes. Exactly. Everybody knows most passengers only fly Southwest or United in the Fall.

Ala5ka
10-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Itís not a new revelation.. our terminal and airplanes have been noticeably less full...and itís odd, when I walked from our terminal to Uniteds to catch my commute home their terminal was as crowded as ever... I guess it isnít October in terminal 3? Ummm, it's early Oct? Usually pretty slow right now.

Bugaboo
10-01-2018, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=Ala5ka;2683981]Itís not a new revelation.. our terminal and airplanes have been noticeably less full...and itís odd, when I walked from our terminal to Uniteds to catch my commute home their terminal was as crowded as ever... I guess it isnít October in terminal 3?[/QUOTE

🙄

450knotOffice
10-01-2018, 04:20 PM
United Airlines is exponentially larger than Alaska, and SFO is a major hub of theirs. Of course itís going to be buzzing with people.

Load factor is what should be noted, rather than how busy a terminal is.

echelon
10-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Management doesn't make decisions or judgements based on anecdotal evidence, neither should we.

Reactivity
10-01-2018, 04:28 PM
United Airlines is exponentially larger than Alaska, and SFO is a major hub of theirs. Of course itís going to be buzzing with people.

Load factor is what should be noted, rather than how busy a terminal is.

Hey, hey, hey - stop making sense! Dude's trying to get a good rant on, and here you are harshing his tizzy with logic.

Some people, I swear....

Packrat
10-01-2018, 06:40 PM
How about this... the Delta flights are full to/from FAI and ANC. That means ANC-SEA, ANC-MSP and ANC-ATL. You can connect to a lot more places in SEA, MSP and ATL other than AS's silly one flight a day from SEA/PDX.

Dalda Erlines
10-02-2018, 08:13 AM
How about this... the Delta flights are full to/from FAI and ANC. That means ANC-SEA, ANC-MSP and ANC-ATL. You can connect to a lot more places in SEA, MSP and ATL other than AS's silly one flight a day from SEA/PDX.

Theyíre full...but are they profitable on those flights with all the reduced fares they offer. FYI SEA > FAI is on a payload optimized RJ most of the year.

GUFN
10-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Theyíre full...but are they profitable on those flights with all the reduced fares they offer. FYI SEA > FAI is on a payload optimized RJ most of the year.

Spoken like a Bean Counter.

Baradium
10-03-2018, 09:29 PM
They’re full...but are they profitable on those flights with all the reduced fares they offer. FYI SEA > FAI is on a payload optimized RJ most of the year.

Haven't checked in a long time, have you?

Last year FAI-SEA was mainline all year. This year is mainline for all but something like a month or month and a half. It's an A319 right now, goes to an E-175 for a short bit then to a 737 around the holidays then back to E-175 and back to A319 before the summer season starts again with 737s. Flight showed mainline all year this winter too until a few weeks ago. Supposedly the RJ this year is more due to upguaging another route with the Airbus so Fairbanks lost it for a while.

That said, Alaska still has a lot more flights to and from Fairbanks and ANC. Ticket prices aren't lower on Delta though from what I understand from friends who travel those routes semi regularly as paying passengers.

Dalda Erlines
10-04-2018, 08:34 AM
Haven't checked in a long time, have you?

Last year FAI-SEA was mainline all year. This year is mainline for all but something like a month or month and a half. It's an A319 right now, goes to an E-175 for a short bit then to a 737 around the holidays then back to E-175 and back to A319 before the summer season starts again with 737s. Flight showed mainline all year this winter too until a few weeks ago. Supposedly the RJ this year is more due to upguaging another route with the Airbus so Fairbanks lost it for a while.

That said, Alaska still has a lot more flights to and from Fairbanks and ANC. Ticket prices aren't lower on Delta though from what I understand from friends who travel those routes semi regularly as paying passengers.

I do see your point. Even if itís an RJ for only 4 months out of the year...they can only carry about 40 pax. Not sure about ticket prices, but at those loads with competitive prices itís hard to stay profitable. Must just be my inner bean counter 😉.

RomeoSierra
10-04-2018, 08:38 AM
I do see your point. Even if itís an RJ for only 4 months out of the year...they can only carry about 40 pax. Not sure about ticket prices, but at those loads with competitive prices itís hard to stay profitable. Must just be my inner bean counter 😉.

The 175 can take a full plane of pax up to FAI and cargo too. Didnít do it last year cause the alternate they use up there wasnít avaliable last year. And they usually take the pax over bags. Bags get sent up on another carrier.

Packrat
10-04-2018, 12:43 PM
They’re full...but are they profitable on those flights with all the reduced fares they offer. FYI SEA > FAI is on a payload optimized RJ most of the year.

Funny I just rode SEA-FAI on a Delta A319 Monday. Last month it was a 767 ATL direct ANC. I never realized that the Airbus or the 767 were payload optimized RJs.

Dalda Erlines
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Funny I just rode SEA-FAI on a Delta A319 Monday. Last month it was a 767 ATL direct ANC. I never realized that the Airbus or the 767 were payload optimized RJs.

But a ticket from next month from SEA > FAI through May then get back to me. Or better yet, non rev and tell me how it goes.

Dalda Erlines
10-04-2018, 02:16 PM
The 175 can take a full plane of pax up to FAI and cargo too. Didnít do it last year cause the alternate they use up there wasnít avaliable last year. And they usually take the pax over bags. Bags get sent up on another carrier.

My mistake. Pax can go on a DC RJ and their bags can fly AS....

Baradium
10-04-2018, 09:26 PM
But a ticket from next month from SEA > FAI through May then get back to me. Or better yet, non rev and tell me how it goes.

I even told you timeframes and you're still going to claim that?

Dalda Erlines
10-07-2018, 11:17 AM
I even told you timeframes and you're still going to claim that?

Youíre probably right. Iíll be the first on APC to admit defeat and being wrong. I guess Iíll also stop talking about a topic in the wrong thread.

Baradium
10-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Youíre probably right. Iíll be the first on APC to admit defeat and being wrong. I guess Iíll also stop talking about a topic in the wrong thread.

No worries. I'll admit though that it's a cluster a good amount of the time when Compass does that route.

Kerizbro
10-08-2018, 03:09 PM
For anybody thatís received a response, what was the timeframe from application to invite?

miker1
10-08-2018, 03:59 PM
For anybody thatís received a response, what was the timeframe from application to invite?Bout 3 months here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OCCP
10-08-2018, 05:12 PM
You guys are still trying to join a non growing airline with no future?

Dalda Erlines
10-08-2018, 06:09 PM
You guys are still trying to join a non growing airline with no future?

Youíre still complaining about working there and havenít left yet?

OCCP
10-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Youíre still complaining about working there and havenít left yet?

Yes, sir! Iím too far in and too old to start over. I just donít want to see any young newbies commit career suicide.

KnockKnock
10-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Yes, sir! Iím too far in and too old to start over. I just donít want to see any young newbies commit career suicide.
You put the gun to your head when you went to VX... I kid I kid

OCCP
10-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Iím just commenting on the sad reality of this airline, not attacking or insulting anyone personally.

Kapitanleutnant
10-08-2018, 08:51 PM
As a SW guy... I'm curious how many pax will go to SW for those Hawaii flights vs your flights over. Honestly, I'd proly prefer an AK flight with some service and some type entertainment for the almost 6 hour flight over. Although I've heard there may actually be food on those flights fo SW.

When I was hired, I remember our CEO coming into the class saying "We own California". But I sure do hear a lot of youz guyz out there tho! And with the VX purchase, I'm guessing it's a pretty close call.

Good friend of mine hired late last year now in LAX already holding a line. I was pleasantly surprised at the progress in such a short time. "

I put in an app with AK about a hundred years ago and didn't hear anything probably because I was not from SEA nor did I work in the area. Always was impressed with your airline.

My two cents from an outsider.... Lol

Kap

Klsytakesit
10-08-2018, 09:13 PM
At Alaska we have very little O&D traffic in California. And virtually none east of GEG. Our O&D is SEA, the state of Alaska, some in PDX and a smattering in The rest of the country. We are trying desperately to hang on to the Virgin O&D traffic in California and the east coast. Estimates are are between 30 & 50%.

Reactivity
10-08-2018, 11:58 PM
For anybody thatís received a response, what was the timeframe from application to invite?

For me, it was about five years from application to the first call. (I had applied and even interviewed way back in 2002. It was four years from the first application after about six years of not applying for various reasons.) Got invited to the meet & greet in January of 2017 and was told to expect a call for an interview shortly thereafter. Nine months later, I got the usual "please reapply" message.

There you go. The phone will ring when it rings, and that doesn't mean that it means anything.

Reactivity
10-09-2018, 12:02 AM

Not all of us are "young newbies". Some of us have been in one segment of aviation or another for more than 20 years and were forced by circumstances to change course. Alaska provides an opportunity that pays better than our current job and the prospect of a 25-minute commute beats the heck out of a four-hour commute.

ImperialxRat
10-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Although I've heard there may actually be food on those flights fo SW.

When I was hired, I remember our CEO coming into the class saying "We own California". But I sure do hear a lot of youz guyz out there tho! And with the VX purchase, I'm guessing it's a pretty close call.

Kap

I will be curious about the food as well... wonder how they will do it with your galley carts or lack of, and what would be offered. Also may affect your 30minute turn times if you have to cater food as well. Will be interesting to see.

As for why you hear a lot of us in California is because we have just under 300 airplanes and are a west coast airline. SW has over 700 airplanes and is a North American powerhouse. I think it's safe to say that you're still the West Coast dominance.. I work at Alaska and still use my Southwest Visa since I am from California and it's the card I've been using for 15 years.

EDIT: Just in case you haven't been doing credit cards for 15 years, it's been however long they have been round.

Baradium
10-09-2018, 01:15 PM
I will be curious about the food as well... wonder how they will do it with your galley carts or lack of, and what would be offered. Also may affect your 30minute turn times if you have to cater food as well. Will be interesting to see.

As for why you hear a lot of us in California is because we have just under 300 airplanes and are a west coast airline. SW has over 700 airplanes and is a North American powerhouse. I think it's safe to say that you're still the West Coast dominance.. I work at Alaska and still use my Southwest Visa since I am from California and it's the card I've been using for 15 years.

EDIT: Just in case you haven't been doing credit cards for 15 years, it's been however long they have been round.

700 airplanes nationwide vs 300 west coast doesn't mean that the former has dominance on the west coast. That's not how it works.

Just had to put that out there.

Kerizbro
10-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Bout 3 months here

Ok Thanks 🙏🏽

Kerizbro
10-09-2018, 02:13 PM
For me, it was about five years from application to the first call. (I had applied and even interviewed way back in 2002. It was four years from the first application after about six years of not applying for various reasons.) Got invited to the meet & greet in January of 2017 and was told to expect a call for an interview shortly thereafter. Nine months later, I got the usual "please reapply" message.

There you go. The phone will ring when it rings, and that doesn't mean that it means anything.

Wow, well at least you made it. Thanks for the reply.

Reactivity
10-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Wow, well at least you made it. Thanks for the reply.

Not sure how I gave you that impression, but I have not made it. I've spent the better part of this year expecting a call for an interview based on what I was told at the meet & greet in January. The only thing I've heard since then was "please reapply" when the application window was open last month. I'll be surprised if I get another call.

Kerizbro
10-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Sorry misunderstood.

If you donít mind, how many hours did you have when they called? I can pm if you want.

Reactivity
10-09-2018, 08:30 PM
If you donít mind, how many hours did you have when they called? I can pm if you want.

In round numbers, 7000 total, 5500 AMEL, 5000 jet, 4200 PIC, 3600 PIC jet.

miker1
10-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Sorry misunderstood.

If you donít mind, how many hours did you have when they called? I can pm if you want.Above a certain threshold numbers aren't that important imo.

ImperialxRat
10-10-2018, 02:36 PM
700 airplanes nationwide vs 300 west coast doesn't mean that the former has dominance on the west coast. That's not how it works.

Just had to put that out there.

My statement is not based off facts, just on what I observe flying up and down the west coast. Every airport I land at has significantly more Southwest aircraft over Alaska airplanes, with the exception of a few cities.

Alaska has done a good job in the past year or two growing their route structure (thanks Skywest!) so that a passenger doesn't always have to go through Seattle to get somewhere, but many of our destinations still require a visit to Seattle.

All Bizniz
10-12-2018, 12:31 AM

Iím just commenting on the sad reality of this airline, not attacking or insulting anyone personally.

Very well played.... ☺️

KnockKnock
10-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Very well played.... ☺️
Oh come on Biz, you know OCCP has attacked the old AS pilots as weak and spineless since the day the acquisition was announced. Every post is about his hate for all things Alaska, that this the worst place to work and anyone coming here or wanting to come here is a fool. He doesn’t get an atta-boy for throwing out one little qualifier like that. Besides, I’m just playing along, tit for tat. Rattling the cage a little. Really, no I’ll will towards him or any new “team mates” :) heII, now that the list is done, we may even get to fly together and bitc* about the company, together, over a niiiice loooong 4 day...yippee!!

OCCP
10-12-2018, 09:03 AM
over a niiiice loooong 4 day...yippee!!

A nice long unproductive 4 day thanks to our wonderful contract negotiated by the super strong backbones from the past!

KnockKnock
10-12-2018, 09:56 AM
A nice long unproductive 4 day thanks to our wonderful contract negotiated by the super strong backbones from the past!
Now that’s the spirit!! Haven’t you seen the twilight zone episode where the whole town has to think happy thoughts or the ruler takes them away? We work in that town ;)

av8or
10-12-2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/management-shake-up-at-alaska-air-will-bring-layoffs/

Mea25000
10-12-2018, 10:35 AM
ďA blind man could have seen it comingĒ

Something wicked this way comes. To premiere late spring 2019!

echelon
10-12-2018, 11:07 AM

E2's for horizon?

AKpilotdude
10-12-2018, 04:00 PM
I got the call for an interview!! Noticed on the email invite I have to do a TalentQuest assessment ASAP. Anyone know anything about that? Just donít want to go in blind. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VanDriver208
10-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Congratulations!!!!! Hope to hear something soon.

I got the call for an interview!! Noticed on the email invite I have to do a TalentQuest assessment ASAP. Anyone know anything about that? Just donít want to go in blind. Thx

PNWFlyer
10-13-2018, 08:44 AM

It is nothing to worry about. I have no idea why they do it.

Congrats on the call. Did you apply this most recent window?

Kerizbro
10-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Congrats AKpilotdude

Would you mind posting your tt?

AKpilotdude
10-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Iíve been applying for about 5 years. Hitting the job fairs, meeting with section chiefs, etc. Seems to be the path. I was invited to the BFI meet and greet and thought it would happen then, but then there was the pull back on hiring. Iím at 9000 tt.

All Bizniz
10-14-2018, 05:10 PM
Oh come on Biz, you know OCCP has attacked the old AS pilots as weak and spineless since the day the acquisition was announced. Every post is about his hate for all things Alaska, that this the worst place to work and anyone coming here or wanting to come here is a fool. He doesnít get an atta-boy for throwing out one little qualifier like that. Besides, Iím just playing along, tit for tat. Rattling the cage a little. Really, no Iíll will towards him or any new ďteam matesĒ :) heII, now that the list is done, we may even get to fly together and bitc* about the company, together, over a niiiice loooong 4 day...yippee!!

Fair enough 🙂

PNWFlyer
10-15-2018, 05:18 AM
together, over a niiiice loooong 4 day...yippee!!

Is it commutable at both ends?

KnockKnock
10-15-2018, 06:46 AM
Is it commutable at both ends?
Non commutable trips build character!

ImperialxRat
10-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Congrats! I don't remember there being any TalentQuest assesment so it must be fairly new. Let us know what it entails so it can help future people out.

AtlCSIP
10-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Iíve been applying for about 5 years. Hitting the job fairs, meeting with section chiefs, etc. Seems to be the path. I was invited to the BFI meet and greet and thought it would happen then, but then there was the pull back on hiring. Iím at 9000 tt.

Congratulations, and good luck!

silver fleet
10-15-2018, 02:20 PM

Please keep us in the loop- I was at the BFI MnG too, and never received a reply from any inquiries after I was told ď keep an eye on your emailĒ at the MnG...Iím a mushroom and want to know if any of us from the MnG are flushed or did this interview derive from the latest window. Thanks!

AKpilotdude
10-15-2018, 06:13 PM
I was actually called just before the opening. So I think it was still from the MnG. I did go to the NW conference after the MnG, and HR recognized me from the MnG and said I had nothing to worry about, and would hear something soon.

akaviator
10-26-2018, 02:51 PM

Rather ominous sounding.

lowflying
10-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Rather ominous sounding.
They're scheduled to be fully done with flight ops integration in March. I'm sure they're ready to move on to the e190s for QX after that. The question is what are the pilots going to do about it...

ShyGuy
10-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Whatís coming late Spring 2019?

Foofighterpilot
10-26-2018, 08:03 PM
What’s coming late Spring 2019?

Something Wicked apparently!

I got it. We all get a raise!!

KnockKnock
10-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Something Wicked apparently!

I got it. We all get a raise!!

This is the final step in the merger process Benís been talking about. After spring 2019 you guys wonít be Virgins any longer!

Bugaboo
10-28-2018, 08:12 AM
This is the final step in the merger process Benís been talking about. After spring 2019 you guys wonít be Virgins any longer!

Spring 2019!? After two years at Air Group not one former VXer is a Virgin anymore! Everyone has been worked over.

AKpilotdude
11-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Congrats! I don't remember there being any TalentQuest assesment so it must be fairly new. Let us know what it entails so it can help future people out.

I did get the job! 13 out of 16 hired. Unknown class date...sometime after the first of the year, early I hope. I canít wait to get started. Iím getting hooked up on the quizlet set, anything else I should do as far as study prep?

The talent quest was one of those personality/IQ test deals. Around 200 personality test questions and 40 or so IQ questions: number patterns, vocabulary etc. You donít take it until after the interview invite, so apparently they donít use it for screening.

Reactivity
11-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Iím getting hooked up on the quizlet set, anything else I should do as far as study prep?

A solid grasp of Special Relativity and its application to flight in the high altitude transonic regime is recommended.

The talent quest was one of those personality/IQ test deals. Around 200 personality test questions and 40 or so IQ questions: number patterns, vocabulary etc. You donít take it until after the interview invite, so apparently they donít use it for screening.

They don't use it for screening, but they do use it to determine what to ask during the interview.

coolyokeluke
11-14-2018, 07:55 AM
I did get the job! 13 out of 16 hired. Unknown class date...sometime after the first of the year, early I hope. I canít wait to get started. Iím getting hooked up on the quizlet set, anything else I should do as far as study prep?

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkCongratulations and welcome to Alaska!

I have a friend interviewing today.

OCCP
11-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Welcome to stagnation!

Beta82
11-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Welcome to stagnation!

Lol!

No dude we are hiring 8 this month...Then 8 again in two months from now and maybe if the donít adjust the 8/4/2% growth to a negative number they will hire 8 more!

160to4
11-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Welcome to stagnation!

Would this mean its a bad time to ask when the next hiring window opens?

ShyGuy
11-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Would this mean its a bad time to ask when the next hiring window opens?

Should be fairly soon. Thereís a lot of hiring to be done between now and May 1st.

160to4
11-20-2018, 07:32 AM
Should be fairly soon. Thereís a lot of hiring to be done between now and May 1st.

Thanks bud!

ImperialxRat
11-25-2018, 06:44 PM
Just to stir up the rumor mill, on the Allegiant forums they said that some Alaska Execs were in Summerlin last week discussing transferring some Airbus leases.

Wish I heard from a flight attendants cousin who is also a gate agent, but thatís my news source.

GreatBigSea
11-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Just to stir up the rumor mill, on the Allegiant forums they said that some Alaska Execs were in Summerlin last week discussing transferring some Airbus leases.

Wish I heard from a flight attendants cousin who is also a gate agent, but thatís my news source.

Swapping them with the Mad Dogs?? :D

PNWFlyer
11-26-2018, 05:40 AM
Swapping them with the Mad Dogs?? :D

I heard the schedules would get better once the MDs were on property... or something like that.

rickair7777
11-26-2018, 06:09 AM

Why are they painting them then? That's not cheap, I've seen several eskimo buses.

Packrat
11-26-2018, 07:12 AM
For some reason you ex-VXers just don't want to admit the Airbus was doomed the day the merger went down. Better study up on your Boeing stuff.

PNWFlyer
11-26-2018, 07:39 AM
Why are they painting them then? That's not cheap, I've seen several eskimo buses.

Not that expensive. Luckily the planes are white. They are just paining the tail a touching up the rest. They will be around long enough to pay for the paint.

plt32173
11-26-2018, 12:06 PM
Not that expensive. Luckily the planes are white. They are just paining the tail a touching up the rest. They will be around long enough to pay for the paint.

What about the interiors? That funny looking carpet on the walls canít be cheap ;)

Flyboy8784
11-26-2018, 12:37 PM

Fake news....VX's white was pearl, AS has a gloss white like what some paint manufacturers would call "Alpine" or "Arctic" White (Not sure what the actual paint code is). Everything but the wings get painted....they aren't stripping the paint down down though.....just white primer and white gloss over the existing paint.

conquestdz
11-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Per the Mooch in V1...paint and interior mod(more seats) on the Airbus is an 8 month payoff and the leases go 3 to 5 years.

ImperialxRat
11-26-2018, 08:33 PM

Not all of them are painted yet. Could offload a couple/few next year maybe? We are hiring a decent number in the first half of next year so doubt we're gonna remove airplanes during that time, however Alaska's growth in the past has often been to replace airplanes with fewer seats with airplanes with more seats and call it growth.

WutFace
11-26-2018, 08:49 PM
For some reason you ex-VXers just don't want to admit the Airbus was doomed the day the merger went down. Better study up on your Boeing stuff.

Only at Alaska Airlines will you find pilots dumb enough to applaud the removal of airplanes from the fleet.

ELAC321
11-26-2018, 09:19 PM

If there is growth then we don't care. Otherwise everybody loses.

FogHorn
11-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Only at Alaska Airlines will you find pilots dumb enough to applaud the removal of airplanes from the fleet.

He actually doesnít work there. Just for reference.

Packrat
11-27-2018, 06:02 AM

What you forget is Alaska had MORE 737s on order and option than VX had Buses at the time of the merger. That would mean a net GAIN. But, public math obviously isn't your forte.

plt32173
11-27-2018, 06:34 AM
Hereís how this will go

Hook up with WN - get rid of airbuses
Merge with JB - keep the airbuses
No merger - order more RJs

Outdoors
11-27-2018, 07:27 AM
They will do whatever is cheaper
Repeat after me...

Packrat doesnít work here. I just ignore the old Richard that desires more attention than herpe$ on valentines.

Unity, 2020 people.

noodle
11-27-2018, 08:00 PM
What you forget is Alaska had MORE 737s on order and option than VX had Buses at the time of the merger. That would mean a net GAIN. But, public math obviously isn't your forte.

I don't even know what "public math" is? Is that doing math in public?

Beta82
11-28-2018, 06:28 AM

So there were 65 ish 320/319s at the time of purchase. Right now there are something like 39 outstanding 737s, they have received a few 73s since the purchase. Did they cancel options or orders?

Flyboy8784
12-01-2018, 09:34 AM
If youíre gonna include options,Letís talk about the 30neos VX has options for. Which can be converted to 321s.

Public math is hard ......

Mudhen200
12-02-2018, 07:17 AM
I'll bet that the majority of the bus fleet will go away as the individual leases expire. I thought that this bus fleet were new airplanes and that we might actually keep them. After talking to some of the flight ops 2nd floor brains, I found out that the majority of the bus fleet is an old cobbled together mess of used airplanes from around the world that doesn't even have cockpit standardization. That being said, I would wager that the 321 NEO may stick around for a while. If nothing else, it can put pressure on Boeing to give us the local rate. I could also easily see a deal being made with another airline. They take our bus orders, we take their Boeing orders.

So what's up with the NEO engine? Is it still coming off the wing every 500 cycles? What's a CFM good for - something like 35,000 cycles? Good gravy, how did the FAA ever certify that piece of pie?

Pogey Bait
12-02-2018, 07:29 AM
I'll bet that the majority of the bus fleet will go away as the individual leases expire. I thought that this bus fleet were new airplanes and that we might actually keep them. After talking to some of the flight ops 2nd floor brains, I found out that the majority of the bus fleet is an old cobbled together mess of used airplanes from around the world that doesn't even have cockpit standardization. That being said, I would wager that the 321 NEO may stick around for a while. If nothing else, it can put pressure on Boeing to give us the local rate. I could also easily see a deal being made with another airline. They take our bus orders, we take their Boeing orders.

So what's up with the NEO engine? Is it still coming off the wing every 500 cycles? What's a CFM good for - something like 35,000 cycles? Good gravy, how did the FAA ever certify that piece of pie?

Dude what are you smoking?

Saltlife85
12-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Maybe you should stop listening to the 2nd floor ďbrainsĒ. We have 3, maybe 4 airbuses that weíre from a foreign carrier. Cockpits are standardized across the fleet with some very minor exceptions.

GreatBigSea
12-02-2018, 08:42 AM
After talking to some of the flight ops 2nd floor brains...

Thereís your problem, you assume people in management know what theyíre talking about.

Mudhen200
12-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Maybe you should stop listening to the 2nd floor ďbrainsĒ. We have 3, maybe 4 airbuses that weíre from a foreign carrier. Cockpits are standardized across the fleet with some very minor exceptions.

Good to hear that the bus fleet is not that bad. What you are saying is the exact opposite of what the Boeing 2nd floor guys are saying, but since your butt is actually in the seat you ought to know.

Any idea what the average fleet age is of our busses?

And does anybody know anything about the NEO engine cycle limits? It's been a long time since the company put any info out about it. I can't wait to see that POS engine on a Max flying Southeast or the Arctic in the winter. Good times.

BTW - I haven't smoked anything since before you were probably born. I've been around the block a time or two and I would bet good money that the bus will have a relatively short career with an Eskimo on the tail. Check back in about 7 years and we will know.

AJ Crowley
12-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Good to hear that the bus fleet is not that bad. What you are saying is the exact opposite of what the Boeing 2nd floor guys are saying, but since your butt is actually in the seat you ought to know.

And does anybody know anything about the NEO engine cycle limits? It's been a long time since the company put any info out about it. I can't wait to see that POS engine on a Max flying Southeast or the Arctic in the winter. Good times.

BTW - I haven't smoked anything since before you were probably born. I've been around the block a time or two and I would bet good money that the bus will have a relatively short career with an Eskimo on the tail. Check back in about 7 years and we will know.

The average age is young as perviously posted only a couple of 320 are used Middle East aircraft, the rest were all new from airbus. All the cockpits are VERY standardized with very small differences( weather radar, and a few other small differences).

The Leap 1A issue isn't a cycle issue, its an hour issue. The engine has to be replaced every 500 hours but GE covers all costs including downtime. The good news is the issue was corrected, and every new engine leaving the GE factory since June is fixed. The problem is GE can't produce enough, and almost all the engines leaving the factory go to new aircraft. Until they can catch up with production we are stuck swapping motors every 500 hours.

Protip: stop listening to the Boeing management guys as they are 100% clueless about the Bus. If you are on the 2nd floor, and want to hear about the Bus go find the Airbus fleet manager.

OCCP
12-02-2018, 09:38 AM
I donít know the exact dates of manufacture but the handful from the Middle East were only a few years old when they came to VX. I think the oldest plane in the fleet was built in 2005

VirginEskimo
12-02-2018, 08:03 PM
I gotta agree with Mudhen. Iíll bet weíre not going to see the Eskimo on the Airbusís tails in seven years time. Having said that, I doubt the Eskimo will be on any tails in seven years. I wonder what our next paint job is going to look like? The problem with being around the block several times is that the scenery never changes. I imagine that all of us are going to have to learn to roll with the punches. I never saw the Alaska merger coming, I suspect Iíll be just as surprised by the next boot to drop.

PNWFlyer
12-03-2018, 08:00 AM
I never saw the Alaska merger coming, I suspect Iíll be just as surprised by the next boot to drop.

We are always the last to know. However, if American or Delta buy Jet Blue, guarantee the other one buys us the next day.

Then all that is left is Hawaiian (United Buys) and the LCCs (who cares what they do, but SWA most likely)

Then we are one big happy family of 4.

Best part of that, no one is 5th... unless no one wants Allegiant.

Beta82
12-03-2018, 08:49 AM

Couple things. Iím not really sure the Leap1A(B) is a POS engine. Itís a brand new design with a lot of new technology that needs to be ironed out and it has. Is there anything in aviation that is new and just works amazing immediately? It takes time. The engine is super impressive. It burns considerably less fuel in every stage of the flight and for the 321 it carries 35 more people.

737 guys need to really think about the stuff thatís being said about the Airbus. I have talked to a lot of 73 guys that have just totally false information about the airplane. There seems to be a lot of misinformation spread about it from the management Boeing fanboys. Tech stops? There were only a handful over the 10 years at Virgin (spoiler alert every other airline flies 320s on transcons!) Odor events? Well thatís from not changing HEPA filters and using the wrong oil in the APU. Massive MELs because they are old? I would see an MEL maybe once a month before Alaska took over.

I donít know what the second floor is but I would venture to say that anyone with a connection to legacy Alaska shouldnít be consulted or believed about the fitness of the Airbus. Talk to a current Airbus pilot! There are serious conflicts of interest going on. We all can pretty much agree that there seems to be an effort to get rid of the Airbuses; which is a bummer, because they are superior airplanes in all the things that really matter to passengers. If you are skeptical go fly in the back of a 737 and then fly in the back of an Airbus. Flame on.

SkyKing466
12-03-2018, 08:59 AM
+1 to what Beta said

What I don't understand either is why they even feel the need to trash talk the bus... Like all they really have to do is say, "we want fleet commonality because cost blah blah cost" and be done with it. Trashing our airplane all the time just adds salt to the wound and further divides us. Maybe that's part of the plan? Let's not fall for it and stay united.

737 is a great plane, A320 is also a great plane. Apples to apples. Now let's fix section 25 so we can spend more time at home.

rickair7777
12-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Couple things. I’m not really sure the Leap1A(B) is a POS engine. It’s a brand new design with a lot of new technology that needs to be ironed out and it has. Is there anything in aviation that is new and just works amazing immediately? It takes time. The engine is super impressive. It burns considerably less fuel in every stage of the flight and for the 321 it carries 35 more people.

737 guys need to really think about the stuff that’s being said about the Airbus. I have talked to a lot of 73 guys that have just totally false information about the airplane. There seems to be a lot of misinformation spread about it from the management Boeing fanboys. Tech stops? There were only a handful over the 10 years at Virgin (spoiler alert every other airline flies 320s on transcons!) Odor events? Well that’s from not changing HEPA filters and using the wrong oil in the APU. Massive MELs because they are old? I would see an MEL maybe once a month before Alaska took over.

I don’t know what the second floor is but I would venture to say that anyone with a connection to legacy Alaska shouldn’t be consulted or believed about the fitness of the Airbus. Talk to a current Airbus pilot! There are serious conflicts of interest going on. We all can pretty much agree that there seems to be an effort to get rid of the Airbuses; which is a bummer, because they are superior airplanes in all the things that really matter to passengers. If you are skeptical go fly in the back of a 737 and then fly in the back of an Airbus. Flame on.

All true.

Not hard to imagine how SEA people whose friends, husbands, wives, kids, and parents all work for Boeing would be spring-loaded to have an emotional prejudice against airbus.

The new engines (all manufacturers) bring the promise of great improvements on the technical merits. They also (all manufacturers) have significant teething problems which need to get resolved. Frnakly they got a little ahead of themselves in pursuit of enhanced performance. I think they're catching the glitches before they become safety problems, but there are certainly operational and economic ramifications.

Packrat
12-03-2018, 11:55 AM
If you are skeptical go fly in the back of a 737 and then fly in the back of an Airbus. Flame on.

You're right about that. I was a Boeing guy, but as a passenger I prefer the Bus as far as single aisle airplanes go. The Triple 7 has them all beat though. ;)

P.S. The difference between a Bus and a Stihl chainsaw? 50,000 board feet a minute.

Reactivity
12-03-2018, 12:31 PM
We all can pretty much agree that there seems to be an effort to get rid of the Airbuses; which is a bummer, because they are superior airplanes in all the things that really matter to passengers. If you are skeptical go fly in the back of a 737 and then fly in the back of an Airbus. Flame on.

I just rode in the back of an ex-VX Airbus a few days ago. I found no discernible difference between that and all of the 737s I've ever been on. All I noticed was the cheap-looking white plastic seat back in my face when the passenger in front of me reclined the seat.

lowflying
12-03-2018, 12:51 PM
I just rode in the back of an ex-VX Airbus a few days ago. I found no discernible difference between that and all of the 737s I've ever been on. All I noticed was the cheap-looking white plastic seat back in my face when the passenger in front of me reclined the seat.

So you didnít notice the aisle that was wide enough to actually roll your suitcase down or Lavs that had enough room to turn around in?

If you really want you mind blown go up to cockpit. Rumor is that fully grown adults can stand up straight there.

NewGuy01
12-03-2018, 02:52 PM
I jumpseat on the bus a lot (my sincerest thanks to former VX crews) to see my son. Itís very comfortable, unlike the 737. Crews have all been very friendly and great. Thanks for not judging a book by its cover. Cheers.

PNWFlyer
12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech stops? There were only a handful over the 10 years at Virgin (spoiler alert every other airline flies 320s on transcons!).

BM of all people put a stop to this rumor at V1. He said it had nothing to do with tech stops. The 900ER carriers more people, plain and simple. That is why they took the bus off most of the Transcons.

Oh, and Airbus sucks

Signed,
Spouse of Boeing Employee

Beta82
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM

The plastic can be changed, thatís a design decision thatís being disposed of by Alaska.

You didnít happen to notice:

- The much quieter ride through takeoff and climb.
- The inch wider seats
- The 8 inch wider cabin
- The bathroom you can turn around in
- The bathroom without trash all over it because the trash can are too small.
- The aisle you can pull a bag down

Not to be inflamatory but try to take the 737 beer googles off next time and try to see the difference. People are getting fatter, taller and bigger, not skinner. The 737 is extremely uncomfortable if you are larger than a 6 foot male at 190 pounds.

I know nothing about the 737 as a pilot, but as a non first class passenger itís an inferior airplane, you could be one of the few passengers that doesnít notice.

Beta82
12-03-2018, 03:58 PM
BM of all people put a stop to this rumor at V1. He said it had nothing to do with tech stops. The 900ER carriers more people, plain and simple. That is why they took the bus off most of the Transcons.

Oh, and Airbus sucks

Signed,
Spouse of Boeing Employee

Haha ok... Boeing makes great airplanes. So does Airbus. The 737 just happens to be an inferior passenger airplane to the a320. You canít argue with more personal space on an already cramped airplane.

Reactivity
12-03-2018, 03:59 PM
You didnít happen to notice:

The plastic can be changed, thatís a design decision thatís being disposed of by Alaska.

- The much quieter ride through takeoff and climb.
- The inch wider seats
- The 8 inch wider cabin
- The bathroom you can turn around in
- The bathroom without trash all over it because the trash can are too small.
- The aisle you can pull a bag down

Not to be inflamatory but try to take the 737 beer googles off next time and try to see the difference. People are getting fatter, taller and bigger, not skinner. The 737 is extremely uncomfortable if you are larger than a 6 foot male at 190 pounds.

Yeah...I really didn't notice all of that. (I was in a window seat and didn't visit the lav, and I put in my Bose noise-canceling earphones as soon as the power levers went forward for takeoff.)

I have no 737 beer goggles. I've never flown a 737. I'm a 767 cargo guy. The smaller ones all look the same to me.

PNWFlyer
12-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Haha ok... Boeing makes great airplanes. So does Airbus. The 737 just happens to be an inferior passenger airplane to the a320. You canít argue with more personal space on an already cramped airplane.

But the 900 carries more which makes them more money.

If pax cared about comfort SWA would be out of business.

Flyboy8784
12-03-2018, 08:00 PM

yeah well if we don't merge before/after SWA gets ETOPS approval, we'll be out of business too....

Cant run a big boy airline off credit card loyalty......despite what Angle Lake manipulates in polling.

OTZeagle1
12-03-2018, 09:45 PM
yeah well if we don't merge before/after SWA gets ETOPS approval, we'll be out of business too....

Cant run a big boy airline off credit card loyalty......despite what Angle Lake manipulates in polling.

Dude you are clueless... SWA will get their ETOPS early next year and Alaska will be fine. Angle Lake is doing quite well, Q4 will beat the street and next year will be significantly better then this year. Alaska will beat current estimates for 2019 by at least $250,000,000.00. Yeah they suck. You must be a really smart dude. Maybe you should start your own company, you seem to be a numbers guy. And yes BofA is a goldmine!

Alaska will make $550,000,000.00 in 2018

Average expectation for 2019 is $765,000,000.00
We will make $1B in 2019! Because Angle Lake is clueless and doesnít know how to run a ďbig boy airlineĒ

ShyGuy
12-03-2018, 10:08 PM
............and this has turned into a Boeing vs Airbus thread. Seriously?

OTZeagle1
12-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Just wait tell February, the crying, I can already hear. I still know guys who canít let go of the 200 and the MD80. The BUS is G-O-N-E. Let go who cares, worry about PAY!

Yup your Cockpit is enormous
Yup your extra 8 inches is awesome
Oh your extra inch, oh yeah I feel that.
Oh your bathroom, I twirl around like a ballerina.
Who cares, what does it PAY!

Airbus ďfollow the leaderĒ
If itís not Boeing ďI am not goingĒ I just donít care, there both just NB jets but in 2020 I better be making at least $285 an hour to fly one of them!

atpcliff
12-04-2018, 01:25 AM
The main reason I try and avoid flying Alaskan, as a pax, is that they only have the 737. I do not like it at all!

WutFace
12-04-2018, 02:04 AM

You might think passengers don't care about comfort, but you'd never know. Passengers who do care about comfort don't fly on Alaska.

And if you're comparing notes with Southwest and how they utilize their 737s, you should look at the whole picture.

They don't fly redeyes
They don't fly 6 hour transcons
They have several hubs located in the middle of the country

They keep their stage lengths short so people don't fatigue out. AS has no concept of what people are looking for in the premium transcon market.

So unless Alaska has a St. Louis base in its future, you should stop copying off of Southwest's homework.

Klsytakesit
12-04-2018, 06:28 AM
Just wait tell February, the crying, I can already hear. I still know guys who canít let go of the 200 and the MD80. The BUS is G-O-N-E. Let go who cares, worry about PAY!

If itís not Boeing ďI am not goingĒ I just donít care, there both just NB jets but in 2020 I better be making at least $285 an hour to fly one of them!
So you goal is to be the lowest paid Legacy 737 pilot in 2020. Nice goal d1p 5h1t....Brad bestowed upon you your raise on Nov 1st 2017. You are not getting another one for a long time.

NewGuy01
12-04-2018, 06:32 AM
You might think passengers don't care about comfort, but you'd never know. Passengers who do care about comfort don't fly on Alaska.

And if you're comparing notes with Southwest and how they utilize their 737s, you should look at the whole picture.

They don't fly redeyes

They keep their stage lengths short so people don't fatigue out. AS has no concept of what people are looking for in the premium transcon market.

So unless Alaska has a St. Louis base in its future, you should stop copying off of Southwest's homework.

Hey St. Louis. At least I could afford to live there....

OTZeagle1
12-04-2018, 07:16 AM
So you goal is to be the lowest paid Legacy 737 pilot in 2020. Nice goal d1p 5h1t....Brad bestowed upon you your raise on Nov 1st 2017. You are not getting another one for a long time.

Sure yeah you are the one always crying on this board. Mr. Doom and Gloom, your family and friends must love spending time with you. I worry you might be an idiot. I am confident you couldnít pay my taxes from 2017 because you are aviation ďhandicappedĒ. You expected this career without any extra work, to make you rich. You want to sit on your hands, work 60 hrs a month and make a Cadillac a month. You must just think people are given things in life.

What will SWA make in 2020?
What will Delta, United, American?Surprisingly, that is the only number you will be able to achieve. You will not make $350hr on a NB when the top of the industry is the mid $280ís. You sir are a moron. This industry will move forward from this point at 3-5% a year increases over the next decade.

2020 $285
2021 $299
2022 $315
2023 $330
2024 $346
2025 $364
This is the top of our industry over the next 6 years on a NB. We will not achieve those numbers but if we are smart and push harder then we have ever pushed before we might end up very very close. Now fix section 25

PNWFlyer
12-04-2018, 07:22 AM

They don't fly redeyes

They couldn't fly red eyes because their scheduling computers could not handle it.

They do fly 6 hour trans cons.... BWI to SAN to name one. RDU to SJC.... and they don't feed you anything but pretzels.

Who wants to stop and change planes? I don't.

coolyokeluke
12-04-2018, 07:30 AM
I have worked the Baltimore to San Diego red eyes as well as many of our other trans con red eyes. The flights are pretty consistently full or close to it. Unless we're giving away the fares at a loss I'm confident that Alaska's making money on them. The red eyes, though tiring to fly, also keep the utilization of the fleet high.You might think passengers don't care about comfort, but you'd never know. Passengers who do care about comfort don't fly on Alaska.

They don't fly redeyes

OTZeagle1
12-04-2018, 07:44 AM
The main reason I try and avoid flying Alaskan, as a pax, is that they only have the 737. I do not like it at all!

Alaska pre merger had a 24% profit margin flying, surprisingly, an all 737 fleet. Do you know how many companies in the S&P500 turn a 24% profit margin. Wow, I bet those planes must have been empty, there must have been Zero brand loyalty. I am sure the entire flying public must feel exactly the same as you... How many JD powers have we won in a row?

KnockKnock
12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Itís that time of year again. The annual, ďthe airplane I fly, is way more aerodynamic than the airplane you flyĒ debate. This argument has nothing to do with which airplane is right for job and is purely based on deep seated biasí that many from both camps still have. Some folks are still struggling to progress through all 5 stages of grief. 9 out of 10 passengers couldnít tell you what airplane theyíre on and itís probably the last thing on their mind. Far behind, cost of the ticket, are we on time, why wonít that baby be quiet, Jesus who keeps farting, why does this MFer next to me think itís o.k. To take his shoes off and put his nasty GD socks up next to me? Both the Airbus and the Boeing are capable airplanes and I hope we get many more of both. The only real concern any of us should have is that there are more Boeingís and Airbusí than there are 175ís.

Packrat
12-04-2018, 08:37 AM
The red eyes, though tiring to fly, also keep the utilization of the fleet high.

This is the crux of the redeye theory. It is and always has been about fleet utilization.

av8or
12-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Itís that time of year again. The annual, ďthe airplane I fly, is way more aerodynamic than the airplane you flyĒ debate. This argument has nothing to do with which airplane is right for job and is purely based on deep seated biasí that many from both camps still have. Some folks are still struggling to progress through all 5 stages of grief. 9 out of 10 passengers couldnít tell you what airplane theyíre on and itís probably the last thing on their mind. Far behind, cost of the ticket, are we on time, why wonít that baby be quiet, Jesus who keeps farting, why does this MFer next to me think itís o.k. To take his shoes off and put his nasty GD socks up next to me? Both the Airbus and the Boeing are capable airplanes and I hope we get many more of both. The only real concern any of us should have is that there are more Boeingís and Airbusí than there are 175ís.
🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻 THIS. Pay me enough with the right work rules, Iíll fly a Piper Cub.

Packrat
12-04-2018, 08:46 AM
9 out of 10 passengers couldn’t tell you what airplane they’re on and it’s probably the last thing on their mind. Far behind, cost of the ticket, are we on time...

Correct. The reason we dumped the MDs was the economies of a single airplane fleet. This is the same reason I believe the Airbus life span is limited at AS.

The only real concern any of us should have is that there are more Boeing’s and Airbus’ than there are 175’s.

A valid concern and one the MEC needs to address. Having ridden on a Delta Ejet from SEA-FAI recently that, from a passenger standpoint, the only major difference was the fact it took slightly longer than a 737. But, two by two seating (no middle seats) pretty much makes the extra time more palatable.

That's the threat to the pilot group. Ejets are not "regional jets." Not when you can fly a full load of passengers over 4 hours gate to gate.

Reactivity
12-04-2018, 09:30 AM
They keep their stage lengths short so people don't fatigue out.

And yet one of the biggest complaints I hear from pilots at Southwest is, "...SIX legs a day!"

ImperialxRat
12-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Correct. The reason we dumped the MDs was the economies of a single airplane fleet. This is the same reason I believe the Airbus life span is limited at AS.

Didnít they say that the savings was $25mil / year to operate a single fleet type? I mean... in the grand scheme of things that is not that much.

Hawaiian Airlines is about the size VA was when we bought them and they operate 5 fleet types.

Klsytakesit
12-04-2018, 12:37 PM
I actually got the allmighty eagle to take the bait. I am now somebody. Not sure what to do with my new status.
I think I will take his advice and go VSA or find some premium pick up

Tailstand
12-04-2018, 01:35 PM
...I still know guys who canít let go of the 200 and the MD80. The BUS is G-O-N-E. Let go who cares, worry about PAY!

That would be the B727-200, right? :rolleyes:

symbian simian
12-04-2018, 06:29 PM

This could very well be the only time in APC history you said something that wasn't annoying/blatantly false/chest thumping. I will savor this until you sink back into your usual self.

Beta82
12-04-2018, 09:30 PM

No pilot should be wanting any airframe to go away, period.

Stop fixating on a pay number, this will be the 2020 mistake. Letís all
Say it together...work rules, work rules, work rules.

Reactivity
12-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Didnít they say that the savings was $25mil / year to operate a single fleet type? I mean... in the grand scheme of things that is not that much.

Hawaiian Airlines is about the size VA was when we bought them and they operate 5 fleet types.

$250 isn't much in the grand scheme of my life, but if I can find a way to save that much annually, I'll do it.

The two airlines might be similar in size, but they're not the same. What makes sense for Alaska (or Southwest, for that matter) may not apply to Hawaiian, which serves both the local market and areas outside that, which are all 4+ hours away.

KnockKnock
12-05-2018, 09:19 AM
$250 isn't much in the grand scheme of my life, but if I can find a way to save that much annually, I'll do it.

The two airlines might be similar in size, but they're not the same. What makes sense for Alaska (or Southwest, for that matter) may not apply to Hawaiian, which serves both the local market and areas outside that, which are all 4+ hours away.
You stop your logical thinking right now! Rational thought is not o.k. on APC. Mods, remove this poster immediately as he is sure to confuse everyone by making sense.

Reactivity
12-05-2018, 09:47 AM
You stop your logical thinking right now! Rational thought is not o.k. on APC. Mods, remove this poster immediately as he is sure to confuse everyone by making sense.

Oh, shazbot! Sorry about that.

OTZeagle1
12-05-2018, 02:08 PM
No pilot should be wanting any airframe to go away, period.

Stop fixating on a pay number, this will be the 2020 mistake. Letís all
Say it together...work rules, work rules, work rules.

I donít want any NBís to go away and they wonít... they are being replaced. Large MAX order with a significant number of options is done. ďProudly all BoeingĒ to return, and the transition rate will surprise. Should be announced late February, BP wants to hold off and announce w/ Q2 numbers in mid July. It is absolutely a done deal... thanks RC, our future looks bright!

Pogey Bait
12-05-2018, 03:12 PM
I donít want any NBís to go away and they wonít... they are being replaced. Large MAX order with a significant number of options is done. ďProudly all BoeingĒ to return, and the transition rate will surprise. Should be announced late February, BP wants to hold off and announce w/ Q2 numbers in mid July. It is absolutely a done deal... thanks RC, our future looks bright!

Dude you need to take a break and go and rub one out to Alaska.