Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

View Full Version : Alaska Air Hiring

KnockKnock
07-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good interview prep service to use for the Alaska interview?
Rainier flight service at Renton field. Run by Alaska pilots. As good as it gets if AS is your goal.

Jet J
07-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Rainier flight service at Renton field. Run by Alaska pilots. As good as it gets if AS is your goal.

Thanks!

filler

Reactivity
07-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good interview prep service to use for the Alaska interview?

I went with Emerald Coast, in large part because I had an interview with FedEx. They have a number of actual FedEx pilots on staff and provide preparation for the CRM exercises you'll get at FedEx and Southwest. They also have a money back guarantee - you don't get hired, you get a refund.

HostileCombover
07-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Is anyone hired over the last year or so able to share some interview information? Is it primarily HR questions these days? Iíll
Continue to scour the various threads for relatively current thoughts but would greatly appreciate anything youíd be willing to share with the masses. Thanks in advance.

clearandcold
07-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Is anyone hired over the last year or so able to share some interview information? Is it primarily HR questions these days? Iíll
Continue to scour the various threads for relatively current thoughts but would greatly appreciate anything youíd be willing to share with the masses. Thanks in advance.

Check out aviationinterviews.com.

ArrJay
07-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Hey guys. Just interviewed last week. Had a great experience at the interview. Top notch people on the interview team.

Still canít believe I have a CJO with Alaska. Just wanted to give an encouraging word to those out there still waiting for the call. I did 3 career fairs and had 3 friends bugging chiefs with my resume. application on file for about 4 years applied every opening since original.

I felt like the most under qualified applicant in the room but everyone in there had done meet and greets with chiefs And/or career fairs. Seems Like thatís been the formula for a long time.

Said they plan to hire about 100-150 through the end of the year with most/all going to airbus. So keep plugging away. Great company! Super excited to be a part of the team. you have any specific questions about the process please PM me.

Reactivity
07-24-2019, 09:55 PM
I did 3 career fairs and had 3 friends bugging chiefs with my resume. application on file for about 4 years applied every opening since original.

I felt like the most under qualified applicant in the room but everyone in there had done meet and greets with chiefs And/or career fairs. Seems Like thatís been the formula for a long time.

Congratulations.

But really, there is no formula for this stuff. They call who they call.

I got called for a meet & greet, but hadn't been to any recruiting events for almost two years. I've stopped spending money and time on those things in general because the interviews I've had have not come from there.

I also know a guy who interviewed a couple weeks ago whose only contact with them was meeting a base chief pilot through a couple of internal contacts.

They call who they call, and nobody knows why. It would not shock me to learn that chicken bones were involved.

opdeliber
07-25-2019, 03:59 AM
Best advice I can give you is to keep updating your applications at other airlines and use your new 737 or A320 type rating to propel you to a career worthy airline.

Enjoy the pay raise but also be prepared to be utterly abused for 14 hours a day for 18 days per month under Alaskaís torturous reserve system.

Lastly, please do not let the companies koolaid roofie-colada affect your views when voting in the next contract. This place is currently terrible and we need serious overhauls. Please join us in fixing this place, we have enough yes men.

Other than that, welcome aboard.
Hey guys. Just interviewed last week. Had a great experience at the interview. Top notch people on the interview team.

Still canít believe I have a CJO with Alaska. Just wanted to give an encouraging word to those out there still waiting for the call. I did 3 career fairs and had 3 friends bugging chiefs with my resume. application on file for about 4 years applied every opening since original.

Said they plan to hire about 100-150 through the end of the year with most/all going to airbus. So keep plugging away. Great company! Super excited to be a part of the team. you have any specific questions about the process please PM me.

BobbyLeeSwagger
07-25-2019, 05:15 AM

Congrats! Im still waiting for the call.. Talked to the chiefs at a job fair too but the conversation started going south when I asked if there was a training contract 🤔

NewGuy01
07-25-2019, 05:52 AM
I was over the moon and couldnít believe it when I received my CJO.

Now I canít believe that a unionized pilot group at a major airline has been treated so poorly for so long.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockKnock
07-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Congrats and welcome. If you don’t mind me asking, what are your quals? TT, PIC, etc. Also, if you know it, the general quals of your interview group? I have some buddies trying to get on at AS and I’m curious how they stack up. Thanks in advance.

OleBillBraski
07-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Then you can enjoy a slice of Zaí and an ice cold Rainier at 8 Bit when your done flying the heavy metal. I like Pepperoni on my Pizza Pie Doorbell Doorbell. Am I right?????

ImperialxRat
07-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the CJO ArrJay, and welcome to Alaska.

Reactivity
07-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Talked to the chiefs at a job fair too but the conversation started going south when I asked if there was a training contract 🤔

Seriously? You really asked that about a major airline, specifically to a chief pilot when you're trying to get a job there? You effectively told them, "Hey, I'd like you to give me a type rating and some time that I can take somewhere else." Your name now has a big red X through it.

Work4life
07-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Still can’t believe I have a CJO with Alaska. Just wanted to give an encouraging word to those out there still waiting for the call. I did 3 career fairs and had 3 friends bugging chiefs with my resume. application on file for about 4 years applied every opening since original.

I felt like the most under qualified applicant in the room but everyone in there had done meet and greets with chiefs And/or career fairs. Seems Like that’s been the formula for a long time.

Congratulations, sort of. You'll be flying with some of the coolest pilots in the industry but the good of it all stops there. Enjoy the euphoria and honeymoon while it lasts because it will wear off real fast as you are getting hammered by crew scheduling as they violate the contract and sodomize you in order to move their iron. And, when you start holding a line, you won't be able to trade most if not all of your trips due to a multitude of crappy MOUs, one of the worst contracts in the industry, and just a spiteful company attitude. Sorry to burst your bubble but facts are facts. Did you stop and think why they are telling you they are hiring 100-150 when there is barely any growth, if at all? Attrition-termination, retirements, and FOs like myself who quit or are on their way out. Don't make the same mistake as I did as well as several others. I live in Seattle and thought I had hit the jackpot when I got on with Alaska Airlines. It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life and left in my first year. If you have no where else to go, I would keep updating your apps and use this place as stepping stone.

Squeakygreaser
07-26-2019, 05:34 AM
We never get Sodomized by crew schedulers at Horizon. Just another benefit they have at Alaska that we don't get here.

Snuffaluffagus
08-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Just an update, a position bid was opened today:

LAX
16 A320 FO
17 B737 CA
12 B737 FO

SFO
2 A320 FO
6 A320 CA

ANC
4 B737 CA

PDX
5 B737 CA

SEA
22 B737 CA

Happydayz
08-01-2019, 05:54 PM
So lets say a new hire gets a base they dont want. Can he/she bid for the base they want if there are openings and his/her seniority can hold it?

Thrill
08-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Yes. New hires are not equipment locked. That said, the bulk of the vacancies are on the airbus in SFO. Most new hires will spend some time on the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happydayz
08-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Am I reading it incorrectly, looks like 16 LAX Airbus and 2 airbus SFO. Is that right?

Thrill
08-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Youíre fine. I was referencing the open vacancies from the last 2 bids. After this bid is processed, likely many of the vacancies will end up on the airbus, as the Boeing slots will be grabbed by pilots already on the seniority list. Thatíll leave most of the new hire positions going to the airbus.

ShyGuy
08-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Am I reading it incorrectly, looks like 16 LAX Airbus and 2 airbus SFO. Is that right?

And 12 LAX 737 FO.

Total FOs = 30. Plus 52 upgrades, net new hire positions created = 82.

Thrill
08-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Close. 54 upgrades and 84 new hires

tangowhsky
08-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Wanted to ask before I did this...but does one need to "withdraw" the app to update it? TIA

Reactivity
08-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Wanted to ask before I did this...but does one need to "withdraw" the app to update it? TIA

Huh? You can neither withdraw your application nor can you update it. Once it's submitted, that's it until the next time they purge the system and have everybody apply again.

morerightrudder
08-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Still confused about the three different application periods.

Has anyone who applied in the first application period of 7/1 to 7/8 been invited yet for an interview (not counting the poster from a few pages ago who claimed to have gotten one while working on their app)

Or is AS actually waiting until all three application periods are complete before they send out interview invites to candidates from all three app periods?

tangowhsky
08-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Huh? You can neither withdraw your application nor can you update it. Once it's submitted, that's it until the next time they purge the system and have everybody apply again.

I have an option to withdraw, but not sure how to update.

Reactivity
08-02-2019, 10:04 PM
I have an option to withdraw, but not sure how to update.

Hmmm...okay. I've never seen the option to withdraw. But with Alaska, there is no update. That I know hasn't changed. You apply, and a year later, give or take, they flush the system and you can apply again.

Reactivity
08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Still confused about the three different application periods.

I don't know why. The announcement was pretty clear. It said there would be three periods in which they will be taking applications. If you want to apply right away, fine. If you're a little short on time and will be in a better position to apply a few months later, then wait.

Has anyone who applied in the first application period of 7/1 to 7/8 been invited yet for an interview (not counting the poster from a few pages ago who claimed to have gotten one while working on their app) Or is AS actually waiting until all three application periods are complete before they send out interview invites to candidates from all three app periods?

Why would that matter? Apply whenever you're ready.

A guy I know who interviewed in mid-July applied a long time ago. I have been applying for years. I got a call last year with a promise to call again, but that call never came. They call whom they call when the mood strikes them. Even current Alaska pilots will tell you they have no idea how the system works.

And I was the guy referenced in the parenthetical portion of your question. That was stated entirely in jest because, like clockwork, there will always be somebody asking here within a week of a hiring window if anybody has been called from the most recent hiring window.

KnockKnock
08-03-2019, 08:13 AM
I don't know why. The announcement was pretty clear. It said there would be three periods in which they will be taking applications. If you want to apply right away, fine. If you're a little short on time and will be in a better position to apply a few months later, then wait.

Why would that matter? Apply whenever you're ready.

A guy I know who interviewed in mid-July applied a long time ago. I have been applying for years. I got a call last year with a promise to call again, but that call never came. They call whom they call when the mood strikes them. Even current Alaska pilots will tell you they have no idea how the system works.

And I was the guy referenced in the parenthetical portion of your question. That was stated entirely in jest because, like clockwork, there will always be somebody asking here within a week of a hiring window if anybody has been called from the most recent hiring window.
It sounds like you’ve been trying for a while to get the nod. Just curious, have you gone to any recent events? NW aviation conference, OBAP etc.. Do you have anyone helping you from the inside? Have you had anyone walk you in for a chief meet n greet? Of course non of us know the secret to getting a call but it seems like the non QX hires are getting calls from these events. We’ve got a decent size bid that just came out so there’s still a good amount of hiring to go for the year and they’re building a pool for next year. I’m glad to see things starting to move again. Good luck out there.

NewGuy01
08-03-2019, 08:23 AM
Iíve got a buddy who is a regional 121 PIC. Heís been to every meet and greet opportunity OBAP, PNW conf etc etc I also helped get him a meet and greet with the base CP. No call in a year +

Iím definitely in the ďI have no idea how this worksĒ camp.

KnockKnock
08-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Iíve got a buddy who is a regional 121 PIC. Heís been to every meet and greet opportunity OBAP, PNW conf etc etc I also helped get him a meet and greet with the base CP. No call in a year +

I got the same scenario with a buddy of mine. Since last summer I’ve walked him into a meet n greet, NWAC and he’s at OBAP this weekend. He always comes out of there with positive feelings but then the call hasn’t come yet. AS is weird like that. They WANT to see you at these events but then string many along. However, you’re much less likely to get a call if you don’t attend these events.

Reactivity
08-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Just curious, have you gone to any recent events? NW aviation conference, OBAP etc.. Do you have anyone helping you from the inside? Have you had anyone walk you in for a chief meet n greet?

Been there, done all of that. Even had an internal recommendation from someone who was once featured in the "Why I love Alaska" section of the web site years ago.

In 2002, a single meeting with the Seattle base assistant chief pilot was enough to get me an interview. Not now.

I did all of that stuff for a while (starting in 2012), then stopped throwing money and time at them after a few years of absolutely no return on the investment. When I got the call for the meet & greet last year, I hadn't been to a single event in almost two full years. Figure that one out.

Honestly, though, the whole "job fair circuit" bugs me. Airlines expect you to drop a couple hundred dollars a couple of times a year to chase them around the country and stand in line for hours at the annual meeting of an organization in which you have no interest whatsoever so that you can get your face in front of them for ten minutes? Especially if you're working in part 135 like I was for a long time and you have no jumpseat capability, it's just nuts.

NWAC was easy because it's local to me and inexpensive, so I did that regularly for a while. A couple of times at NWAC, the first person I talked to took me to talk to a second recruiter. I figured I must be getting close, but still nothing. As noted, it wasn't until two years after I stopped doing anything beyond the annual-ish application that I finally got any attention at all from Alaska. That's why I say they call whom they call when the mood strikes them.

Reactivity
08-03-2019, 11:08 AM

My favorite such story comes from an Alaska crew I jumpseated with a while back, and their exact words to me were, "We have no idea how it works."

The FO had been doing all that stuff, plus he knew a check airman who was regularly lobbying the chief pilot on his behalf. It took five years before he finally got an interview. This is why I always laugh when somebody asks if anybody has been called within a week of any hiring window, because it just doesn't happen that quickly.

rickair7777
08-03-2019, 11:14 AM
I’ve got a buddy who is a regional 121 PIC. He’s been to every meet and greet opportunity OBAP, PNW conf etc etc I also helped get him a meet and greet with the base CP. No call in a year +

I’m definitely in the “I have no idea how this works” camp.

That's always been the case. Back in the regional world nobody had the slightest idea how to get an interview, to the point that many folks didn't even bother applying. But you definitely can't win if you don't play...

coolyokeluke
08-03-2019, 11:20 AM
I always get a little salty over the "has anyone been called who applied six weeks ago" type questions. I suppose it's jealousy, I was like a groupie for a decade (a wide selection of their job fair type things, volunteering, trying to get a check airman position, everything I could) before I got the call to interview. Good luck to all I hope it doesn't take any of you ten years of applications.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KnockKnock
08-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Been there, done all of that. Even had an internal recommendation from someone who was once featured in the "Why I love Alaska" section of the web site years ago.

In 2002, a single meeting with the Seattle base assistant chief pilot was enough to get me an interview. Not now.

I did all of that stuff for a while (starting in 2012), then stopped throwing money and time at them after a few years of absolutely no return on the investment. When I got the call for the meet & greet last year, I hadn't been to a single event in almost two full years. Figure that one out.

Honestly, though, the whole "job fair circuit" bugs me. Airlines expect you to drop a couple hundred dollars a couple of times a year to chase them around the country and stand in line for hours at the annual meeting of an organization in which you have no interest whatsoever so that you can get your face in front of them for ten minutes? Especially if you're working in part 135 like I was for a long time and you have no jumpseat capability, it's just nuts.

NWAC was easy because it's local to me and inexpensive, so I did that regularly for a while. A couple of times at NWAC, the first person I talked to took me to talk to a second recruiter. I figured I must be getting close, but still nothing. As noted, it wasn't until two years after I stopped doing anything beyond the annual-ish application that I finally got any attention at all from Alaska. That's why I say they call whom they call when the mood strikes them.
I agree, it’s a pain in the a$$. I thought that with all the need for pilots coming up, the job fair scheme would be fading away but it seems to be alive and well. Only other thing you can maybe do is volunteer at AS events like Aviation day in either SEA or PDX. It’s a free way to get face time and meet folks that can maybe advance your resume.

PSFT
08-03-2019, 11:30 AM
I always get a little salty over the "has anyone been called who applied six weeks ago" type questions. I suppose it's jealousy, I was like a groupie for a decade (a wide selection of their job fair type things, volunteering, trying to get a check airman position, everything I could) before I got the call to interview. Good luck to all I hope it doesn't take any of you ten years of applications.

I think most of us have also been trying for years. Itís not like we applied 6 weeks ago for the first time and are wondering where the call is. But after doing jobs fairs, meet and greets, etc. for years, once the app opens you get hopeful.

coolyokeluke
08-03-2019, 11:34 AM
I think most of us have also been trying for years. Itís not like we applied 6 weeks ago for the first time and are wondering where the call is. But after doing jobs fairs, meet and greets, etc. for years, once the app opens you get hopeful.Like someone mentioned a good amount of hiring to come so reasons for optimism.

morerightrudder
08-03-2019, 12:28 PM

Ok, thanks for clarifying. No offense meant. Been trying for awhile as well, and just trying to make some sense of it. In the end, it's basically a lottery, and was just trying to get some sense on how the draw works.

Reactivity
08-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Been trying for awhile as well, and just trying to make some sense of it. In the end, it's basically a lottery, and was just trying to get some sense on how the draw works.

I think you have a handle on it. "Lottery" is a great description. There are lots of opinions about how the draw works, but there are plenty of counterexamples where "random" or "when the mood strikes" seems more accurate.

HostileCombover
08-03-2019, 03:41 PM
I think you have a handle on it. "Lottery" is a great description. There are lots of opinions about how the draw works, but there are plenty of counterexamples where "random" or "when the mood strikes" seems more accurate.

I can attest to this, having applied at every window for the past 6 years. Attended WAI this time around and got the interview call last month. There is no method to the madness...

PSFT
08-03-2019, 04:51 PM
I can attest to this, having applied at every window for the past 6 years. Attended WAI this time around and got the interview call last month. There is no method to the madness...

Just curious, does AS call or email the invite for interview?

HostileCombover
08-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Phone call, in my case at least.

PSFT
08-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Phone call, in my case at least.

Good to know. Thanks.

RNO Flyer
08-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Any idea what the split of backgrounds for those who get the call are, between military/Horizon/street?

ShakyJake
08-08-2019, 01:49 PM
At our interview a few weeks ago there were twelve of us. Six of us were street guys and the rest had military time. Interesting to me was the fact that there was only one Horizon guy there (but he also had prior military experience).

ImperialxRat
08-11-2019, 07:47 AM
Any idea what the split of backgrounds for those who get the call are, between military/Horizon/street?

In a class of 12 pilots youíll usually have 4 from Horizon, 2 military, 2 part 135, and the rest regionals. At least thatís kinda the formula Iíve seen

NewGuy01
08-11-2019, 07:48 AM

In my classes case it was 50% horizon but other than that, this.

TalkTurkey
08-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Phone call too. 206 area code. It will say Seattle, WA. So if that pops up on your phone, answer it.

Ala5ka
08-14-2019, 05:55 PM
If that pops up, decline it. You'll thank me later. Phone call too. 206 area code. It will say Seattle, WA. So if that pops up on your phone, answer it.

Barneyrubble
08-14-2019, 06:47 PM
If that pops up, decline it. You'll thank me later.

Let it go. You'll feel better.

ShyGuy
08-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Let it go. You'll feel better.

+1

(Filler)

TalkTurkey
08-18-2019, 08:39 PM
wtf are you talking about. I'm a decades-long regional guy. Am I supposed to not answer the call with such great pay rates. Frig off with those dumb remarks or tell my why they're warranted.

ShyGuy
08-19-2019, 12:35 AM
wtf are you talking about. I'm a decades-long regional guy. Am I supposed to not answer the call with such great pay rates. Frig off with those dumb remarks or tell my why they're warranted.

Just angry people, ignore them. Some people are so bitter they bring others down with them. This merger has been tough on a lot of people. But still, it doesnít make it right.

Work4life
08-19-2019, 07:29 PM
I wish someone had warned me to not go to Alaska. I wasted a year of my life there and regret not looking elsewhere. It's a good stepping stone with better pay than the regionals. Good luck to all.

hdgbug
08-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Phone call too. 206 area code. It will say Seattle, WA. So if that pops up on your phone, answer it.

I would assume they will leave a message if they don't get you? Being from the area, I get a lot of spam calls that are spoofed to 206 area codes, so I don't tend to answer any random number. I've had several calls recently that haven't left messages. I assumed they were spam until this got me thinking.

AKpilotdude
08-20-2019, 02:34 PM
They did leave me a message

rickair7777
08-20-2019, 02:45 PM
I would assume they will leave a message if they don't get you? Being from the area, I get a lot of spam calls that are spoofed to 206 area codes, so I don't tend to answer any random number. I've had several calls recently that haven't left messages. I assumed they were spam until this got me thinking.

Of course they leave a message. No employer is going to blacklist you and move on to someone else because you were out flying, asleep, swimming, etc, etc when they call happen to call you.

Snuffaluffagus
08-22-2019, 01:30 PM
Just an update on the latest bid:

Most jr capt is at 4 years and 2 months (per bid effective date), a Nov '15 hire for SFO 320 CA.

ShyGuy
08-22-2019, 01:34 PM
And the bidís 84 new hire positions:

31 LAX 320
29 LAX 737
24 SFO 320

Packrat
08-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Just an update on the latest bid:

Most jr capt is at 4 years and 2 months (per bid effective date), a Nov '15 hire for SFO 320 CA.

A whole lot better than in the not so distant past when the upgrade was running 15 YEARS!

Ala5ka
08-22-2019, 01:52 PM
The only reason is itís this low is due to the horrible reserve rules Alaska has that is causing a large percentage to bypass.
A whole lot better than in the not so distant past when the upgrade was running 15 YEARS!

flysnoopy76
08-22-2019, 02:12 PM
The only reason is itís this low is due to the horrible reserve rules Alaska has that is causing a large percentage to bypass.

Anyone hired within the last couple years should expect double the current upgrade time, likely in the 8-10 year range.

EskimoJoe
08-23-2019, 01:57 AM
Anyone hired within the last couple years should expect double the current upgrade time, likely in the 8-10 year range.
Youíre pulling that number straight out of your a$$. You have no idea what future upgrade times will be. Growth will determine upgrade times by about 90% as retirements are low. Who knows whatís going to happen with this economy and how Alaska will respond.

Ala5ka
08-23-2019, 04:01 AM
So probably longer than 8-10 years is what youíre saying Youíre pulling that number straight out of your a$$. You have no idea what future upgrade times will be. Growth will determine upgrade times by about 90% as retirements are low. Who knows whatís going to happen with this economy and how Alaska will respond.

HostileCombover
08-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Question: if you were at less than two years, would you leave JetBlue for Alaska, assuming you wanted to remain on the west coast?

Excargodog
08-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Question: if you were at less than two years, would you leave JetBlue for Alaska, assuming you wanted to remain on the west coast?

How bad is your commute?

flysnoopy76
08-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Iíd try to go to someone else with west coast bases, most will offer you better progression and quality of life.

Outdoors
08-24-2019, 03:03 PM

Definitely no personally. Get a copy of Alaskaís contract and talk to friends there to see how scheduling/trading trips works and make your decision.

If the companies happen to merge are you ok with giving up your seniority?

Hope it helps.

HostileCombover
08-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Definitely no personally. Get a copy of Alaskaís contract and talk to friends there to see how scheduling/trading trips works and make your decision.

If the companies happen to merge are you ok with giving up your seniority?

Hope it helps.

My commute isnít bad... The only concern is being left out to dry if and when displacements occur. I know of at least a few B6 folks that have interviewed at Alaska. Not sure if any have actually pulled the trigger and left.

lowflying
08-24-2019, 04:46 PM

If it helps my check in the first week in august had me around 95k gross with approximately 400 hours of block for the YTD. That includes my 2 weeks of vacation for the year. I've been a line holder the entire year and was on 2nd year pay for all but a month.

I had a couple of strategic premium pay trades but mostly flew a line average of 80 hours with 14-15 days off most months.

I would not recommend coming here; the contract is [email protected], there's not much movement and we are going to be in drawn out and bitter negotiations for the foreseeable future.

skyhawk340
08-31-2019, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know what the normal turn around time is on the background check and official job offer?

papa
08-31-2019, 07:42 PM
Howdy guys,

I am an Atlas 767 FO been at Atlas for 4 years now, as you probably heard our situation here at Atlas is going down to S$$T and I think it's time for me to jumpship. I guess what I am looking for is. How is Alaska from a pilot standpoint? has it been good for the most? I live in SD to LAX base would be ideal for me how junior is the base?
I want to know what's the deal with reserve and how long should I expect to sit on reserve? Also, while on reserve is it possible to break guarantee?
Any inside info to help me make a decision is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HostileCombover
08-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Howdy guys,

I am an Atlas 767 FO been at Atlas for 4 years now, as you probably heard our situation here at Atlas is going down to S$$T and I think it's time for me to jumpship. I guess what I am looking for is. How is Alaska from a pilot standpoint? has it been good for the most? I live in SD to LAX base would be ideal for me how junior is the base?
I want to know what's the deal with reserve and how long should I expect to sit on reserve? Also, while on reserve is it possible to break guarantee?

Thanks in advance.

On a similar note from a San Diego guy, are most reserve call outs right at two hours? Is there a two hours in normal traffic stipulation?

KnockKnock
09-01-2019, 07:42 AM
On a similar note from a San Diego guy, are most reserve call outs right at two hours? Is there a two hours in normal traffic stipulation?
You get there when you get there. They have to give you two hours notice minimum. If traffic is bad there’s nothing you can do about that. You will not be penalized for that.

Packrat
09-01-2019, 08:34 AM
You get there when you get there. They have to give you two hours notice minimum. If traffic is bad thereís nothing you can do about that. You will not be penalized for that.

"I have the assignment, I'm on my way. I'll be there as soon as I can."

Commit that to memory.

NewGuy01
09-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Sometimes crew scheduling calls you and tries to get you to show under two hours. Itís not required to do so but they will try. In my case it was to show early for a deadhead to ATL and then operate the return to SEA. The deadhead was less than two hours from the time they called at 4:00am

Sometimes they call the night before and put you into rest. So you get lots of notice. Other times itís right at two hours. Sometimes more. Iíve found living within an hour of SEA reduces the stress of being on reserve.

merlinj79
09-01-2019, 09:06 AM
"You get there when you get there. They have to give you two hours notice minimum. If traffic is bad there’s nothing you can do about that. You will not be penalized for that. "

I'm not sure that's going to work from San Diego during rush hour. I'm sure they'd let slide an honest traffic issue (ie freeway closed, stuck on freeway with no way off), but I only know of a couple guys that sat reserve in SD county, they were in Oceanside, and they said even that was pretty sketchy.

You can do SD to LAX in two hours between 2200 - 0530 if you park in short term princess. Barely. God help you if your not in the parking garage by 0530.

Obviously need to be more careful on probation. After that you could probably try it, and if you get caught take your lumps and change your plan. Might get away with it long enough to get off reserve.

NewGuy01
09-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Howdy guys,

Thanks in advance.

I am an Atlas 767 FO been at Atlas for 4 years now, as you probably heard our situation here at Atlas is going down to S$$T and I think it's time for me to jumpship. I guess what I am looking for is. How is Alaska from a pilot standpoint?

- Overall. The pay is good. There are some work rule updates that need to happen. Morale is fair/bad. Currently going through pilot contract negotiations. All the bad that comes with that.

has it been good for the most?

See above.

I live in SD to LAX base would be ideal for me how junior is the base?

Things are changing. The seniority list is growing. In my class spring 2018, LAX was the jr base. But this was a 737 class. Currently SFO Bus seems to be jr but I donít know the real world class numbers as of late.

I want to know what's the deal with reserve and how long should I expect to sit on reserve?

I sat on reserve for 8 months. Hired spring of last year. My gut feeling is that this number will increase for new hires. This dynamic will increase until our fleet plan is formalized. The MAXís not being delivered undoubtedly slowed things on the 737 side and my personal impression of the bus side was that it was stagnant.

Also, while on reserve is it possible to break guarantee?

Itís possible but extremely difficult. I didnít manage it on my 8 months of reserve. Also keep in mind it is my personal opinion that working on ones days off hurts our contract negotiation. Although picking up trips is still flying the contract.

KnockKnock
09-01-2019, 02:10 PM
"You get there when you get there. They have to give you two hours notice minimum. If traffic is bad there’s nothing you can do about that. You will not be penalized for that. "

I'm not sure that's going to work from San Diego during rush hour. I'm sure they'd let slide an honest traffic issue (ie freeway closed, stuck on freeway with no way off), but I only know of a couple guys that sat reserve in SD county, they were in Oceanside, and they said even that was pretty sketchy.

You can do SD to LAX in two hours between 2200 - 0530 if you park in short term princess. Barely. God help you if your not in the parking garage by 0530.

Obviously need to be more careful on probation. After that you could probably try it, and if you get caught take your lumps and change your plan. Might get away with it long enough to get off reserve.
I’ve known of a few guys that lived in the greater Seattle area and sat PDX rsv. They would drive to a coffee shop that was closer to PDX and wait there. Not how I would want to spend my days but people get creative when they have to make something work. The only language I see regarding the 2 hr call out is along the lines of, “the pilot will be available to report with 2 hrs notice”. I can’t find anything regarding living a certain distance from the airport or driving in reasonable traffic etc. Leaves it pretty open ended. The only thing a pilot should be concerned with is that crew scheduling has abided by the contract and given you the 2 hr notice. As stated above, “I’m aware of the assignment and will be there as soon as I can.”

KnockKnock
09-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Howdy guys,

Thanks in advance.
Breaking guarantee is sorta base dependent. I hear from guys in LAX that they barely fly and guys in SEA that they are in the mid to upper 80ís every month. The nice thing is that our short call guarantee is 79 hrs (am I right that Atlas is 65??) and once youíve hit it you can call out sick and are not charged sick time.

NewGuy01
09-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Last year during the summer, which is arguably our busiest time of year I never broke guarantee on reserve

HostileCombover
09-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Thank you all for the responses... All info is greatly appreciated. Iím living near Oceanside, so itís not San Diego proper. Seems like it may be doable. Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Pilot553
09-02-2019, 06:31 AM
Quicker to hold a line in LAX on 737 or 320? Also, which has more trips that are out of SNA?

SkyKing466
09-02-2019, 07:47 AM
737 for both

snowman911
09-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Is Alaska hiring on the A320, I only see positions for Horizon their web page?

ImperialxRat
09-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Is Alaska hiring on the A320, I only see positions for Horizon their web page?

The Alaska window to apply only opens twice a year, usually.

As to the question about breaking guarantee on reserve, I have never been used that much, however I havenít been on reserve that much, and I was 737 LAX based so got used less. I would probably fly about 50 hours a month. If you wondering about pay purposes you can select that you would like a trip and they might assign it to you first, which would help by getting you a little more per diem. You can also pick up open time trips on days off to pad the paycheck, as anything picked up on days off is in addition to the 79 hour short call guarantee. Not something I would do during contract negations because the stresses of negotiations mean I need more time at home with the family to decompress.

Pilot553
09-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Latest class drops?

Thrill
09-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Latest class drops?

Yesterdayís class had 6 SFO A320, 2 LAX A320.

Upcoming classes will have vacancies on the A320 & B737, as the 2020-02 bid closed with vacancies on both fleets. Which will be available to specific classes? Unknown, and up to management to dole out as they build their training plan.

Pilot553
09-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Yesterdayís class had 6 SFO A320, 2 LAX A320.

Upcoming classes will have vacancies on the A320 & B737, as the 2020-02 bid closed with vacancies on both fleets. Which will be available to specific classes? Unknown, and up to management to dole out as they build their training plan

That is great info! Thank you

xGearSlingerx
09-07-2019, 09:16 AM
What's the timeline these days from interview to class date?

Thanks in advance.

TSSN
09-07-2019, 01:14 PM
People that were interviewed and hired yesterday were told to expect end of October to early November for class dates, so around 2 months.

GunSlngnAv8ter
09-07-2019, 05:37 PM
People that were interviewed and hired yesterday were told to expect end of October to early November for class dates, so around 2 months.

Early August hires received late September.

Thrill
09-11-2019, 08:58 PM
2 more classes this month, 16th & 30th.

16th class will be all A320, class of 16.

30th class TBD.

cmrflyer
09-13-2019, 04:35 AM
Wow! Thatís a lot of growth on the Airbus side! Hahahahah

AKNGPilot
09-14-2019, 03:04 PM
What is the pay during training? I assume it ends once LOE (type ride) is completed?

AKpilotdude
09-14-2019, 03:09 PM
75 hr guarantee

AKNGPilot
09-14-2019, 03:34 PM
75 hr guarantee

Thanks

Filler

Taco280AI
09-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Thanks

Filler

You get on with Alaska??

DragonFlyer14
09-14-2019, 09:53 PM
How tough would it be to get onto Alaska with a previous initial atp pt121 checkride fail? Passed 2 days later and had no previous other issues or other issues Including IOE. Would this severely limit my chances in the long run? Targeting Alaska Airlines since Iíd ideally like to return to the PNW area.

Excargodog
09-15-2019, 07:54 AM
How tough would it be to get onto Alaska with a previous initial atp pt121 checkride fail? Passed 2 days later and had no previous other issues or other issues Including IOE. Would this severely limit my chances in the long run? Targeting Alaska Airlines since Iíd ideally like to return to the PNW area.

Depends on how long ďin the long runĒ is and how well you progress during that time. Most majors are a little more understanding of FAA certificate failures than they are of 121 failures though. By that point you generally HAVE those certificates and are actually getting PAID to study and being trained by a company that WANTS you to pass.

This certainly isnít any career killer but Iíd sure avoid any sort of further glitch. While itís hard to extrapolate from a single point, two points define a line and it wonít point in a direction most HR departments will be happy with.

AnchorDown
09-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Just be able to explain what happened and what you learned. That's absolutely not a deal breaker, but it's all in how you deliver it. Make sure you own it, and be able to talk about how it has positively changed you and made you a better pilot. Good luck, and don't let it stop you!!!

AnchorDown

Pilot553
09-16-2019, 10:01 AM
Anyone have todayís class drop?

Pilot553
09-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Anyone have todayís class drop?

Never mind looks like itís posted above

Thrill
09-16-2019, 01:56 PM
16 total
2 LAX B737
4 SFO A320
10 LAX A320

Pilot553
09-16-2019, 04:33 PM
16 total
2 LAX B737
4 SFO A320
10 LAX A320

Thanks for posting. Any idea of the ages of the most junior in class and what they picked?

Thrill
09-17-2019, 01:56 AM
Oh, I donít think the junior pilot ďpickedĒ anything. They ďgotĒ the A320...;)

OldPhrog46
09-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Are there any class dates slated for October or November?

Pilot553
09-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Oh, I donít think the junior pilot ďpickedĒ anything. They ďgotĒ the A320...;)

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk

Ok so 737 is going first. Do you know if the plug is going to SFO or LAX on the A320?

ExperimentalAB
09-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Ok so 737 is going first. Do you know if the plug is going to SFO or LAX on the A320?

SFO, likely.

Foofighterpilot
09-20-2019, 09:04 AM
SFO will undoubtedly be junior regardless of equipment for the rest of Alaska's existence. Just like United.

Packrat
09-20-2019, 11:27 AM
SFO will undoubtedly be junior regardless of equipment for the rest of Alaska's existence. Just like United.

That's assuming, of course, that AS keeps an SFO base.

rickair7777
09-20-2019, 11:53 AM
That's assuming, of course, that AS keeps an SFO base.

Isn't that why they bought VX?

Packrat
09-21-2019, 06:12 AM

They bought VX to keep B6 off the West Coast. That's why they over paid for it.

rickair7777
09-21-2019, 07:08 AM
They bought VX to keep B6 off the West Coast. That's why they over paid for it.

But that only works if they keep the gates... if they don't use the gates SFO will give them to someone who will.

Flyboy8784
09-22-2019, 07:14 AM
But that only works if they keep the gates... if they don't use the gates SFO will give them to someone who will.

It's pretty surreal to watch. Company says that the plan for our future is to "Win California", yet all we seem to do be doing is retreating mainline airframes to the PACNW and letting the regionals grow.

We now have more 320 departures out of SEA than we do out of LAX.....and there is no base in SEA for the 320.

Packrat
09-22-2019, 08:16 AM
It's pretty surreal to watch...yet all we seem to do be doing is retreating mainline airframes to the PACNW and letting the regionals grow.

We now have more 320 departures out of SEA than we do out of LAX.....and there is no base in SEA for the 320.

And this surprises you because....?

full of luv
09-22-2019, 09:18 AM
It's pretty surreal to watch. Company says that the plan for our future is to "Win California", yet all we seem to do be doing is retreating mainline airframes to the PACNW and letting the regionals grow.

That's how you show off your "proudly Boeing" fleet to the hometown crowd.....wait...:eek:

ImperialxRat
09-23-2019, 12:57 AM

Welcome to Alaska. Let Skywest and code shares do the flying, itís cheaper. And donít forget to sell those credit cards.

Flaps1check
09-23-2019, 07:28 AM
Welcome to Alaska. Let Skywest and code shares do the flying, itís cheaper. And donít forget to sell those credit cards.

Yep grow as much regional flying as possible and drag out negotiations as long as possible before they are forced to deal with scope.

whodee
09-23-2019, 06:25 PM

They bought VX to make VX go away. Plain and simple.

flynshoe748
09-23-2019, 07:18 PM
Don't worry, when that international facility is finished up at the south end of the airport, Delta will have access to ~20 international gates, will probably flood SEA with wide bodies and just drive AS into the ground and then purchase the whole operation. AS doesn't have excess capacity but DAL and just about every other airline does. And, AS can't grow fast enough because they'll flood the market and drive ticket prices down.

ShyGuy
09-23-2019, 11:58 PM
That's how you show off your "proudly Boeing" fleet to the hometown crowd.....wait...:eek:

Why so much angst over "Proudly all Boeing?" Mainline was all Boeing until the merger. Were they really expected to un-paint those from 100+ planes? I'd rather have Proudly all Boeing painted on the plane than some of the nonsense we had like "Frances." :eek:

echelon
09-25-2019, 04:41 AM
Why so much angst over "Proudly all Boeing?" Mainline was all Boeing until the merger. Were they really expected to un-paint those from 100+ planes? I'd rather have Proudly all Boeing painted on the plane than some of the nonsense we had like "Frances." :eek:

So what's the explanation for why they still chose to paint it on our MAX?

http://imgur.com/KIPdMgU

Mea25000
09-25-2019, 06:05 AM
So what's the explanation for why they still chose to paint it on our MAX?

http://imgur.com/KIPdMgU

Your a smart dude, I bet you could read the tea leaves, if you really wanted. Barring anymore hiccups, I would bet you will be able to read it in plain English by February. Who knows though, until the Max is certified, nothing would surprise me.

cmrflyer
09-25-2019, 10:50 AM
No airliner has had worse press than this one since the comet.
Iím sure it will all work out fine.

ShyGuy
09-25-2019, 04:01 PM
Your a smart dude, I bet you could read the tea leaves, if you really wanted. Barring anymore hiccups, I would bet you will be able to read it in plain English by February. Who knows though, until the Max is certified, nothing would surprise me.

How many is the real question. If the entire Bus fleet of 73 planes is going to be replaced over 5 years, hopefully there's an order for at least 100 MAXes.

rickair7777
09-25-2019, 04:58 PM
No airliner has had worse press than this one since the comet.
Iím sure it will all work out fine.

The DC10 and Concorde probably were worse. Also the Boeing 737 which kept crashing while they denied there was a problem with the rudder.

ShyGuy
09-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Lockheed Electra too

https://www.amazon.com/Electra-Story-Dramatic-Aviations-Controversial-ebook/dp/B0734ZYBV9

https://i.postimg.cc/76N5k1wW/Untitled.png

Slipstream
09-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Other times itís right at two hours. Sometimes more. Iíve found living within an hour of SEA reduces the stress of being on reserve.

Obviously, if they call you and release you early from your RAP, that's one thing. I've found they hate to make those kinds of pro-active decisions, however. If they put something on your line while you're in rest, don't acknowledge it. Let them call you the second your zone begins then next morning, and mention how garage parking would sure help the situation. It's a win for everybody.

IFlyNFish
09-26-2019, 11:57 AM

But itís ďnever cost a mainline pilot their jobĒ.

WutFace
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Care to predict another date for us, oh wise one?

By the way, if AS decides to park 73 perfectly good airplanes and spend the time, money, and energy just to replace them then this company is pretty much done.

Southwest has 25% growth planned for the west coast. And Alaska will be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

ShyGuy
10-02-2019, 11:14 PM
Care to predict another date for us, oh wise one?

By the way, if AS decides to park 73 perfectly good airplanes and spend the time, money, and energy just to replace them then this company is pretty much done.

Southwest has 25% growth planned for the west coast. And Alaska will be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lease returns are happening, I believe 1 this year and 2 next year. The bulk of leases are up in 2021-2024. The cost, time, and training can be negligible if Boeing is willing to play ball to win a large order after the MAX is certified to fly again.

Packrat
10-03-2019, 04:11 AM
Lease returns are happening, I believe 1 this year and 2 next year. The bulk of leases are up in 2021-2024.

That's the key...they're LEASED. Using the same logic, they got rid of the MDs for a single airframe fleet. There's a whole lot of benefit NOT needing two training departments, two parts supplies, two pilot groups, two reserve pools, etc., etc.

The day AS bought VX, the Bus time on the property was limited.

rickair7777
10-03-2019, 06:11 AM
Lease returns are happening, I believe 1 this year and 2 next year. The bulk of leases are up in 2021-2024. The cost, time, and training can be negligible if Boeing is willing to play ball to win a large order after the MAX is certified to fly again.

That's the key...they're LEASED. Using the same logic, they got rid of the MDs for a single airframe fleet. There's a whole lot of benefit NOT needing two training departments, two parts supplies, two pilot groups, two reserve pools, etc., etc.

This is all truth. There is significant cost savings to single-fleet, including avoiding pilots cross-fleeting for personal reasons. I have a friend at one of the big three who got divorced and decided he needed a new hobby... so he's collecting every type rating on property.

AS is probably a bit small to need or benefit much from two NB fleets, and even though NEO is a better plane than max, AS is (for obvious reasons) not going to do an all bus fleet. 321NEO's can probably do some things max can't but I doubt it's cost-effective to bother keeping a handful around for special missions (airlines which are five times larger have the economy of scale to do that).

The day AS bought VX, the Bus time on the property was limited.

Of course if there's a merger/acquisition in the works, all bets are off. The 737's could be sold at a fire sale and the SEA HQ staff would be too busy re-apply for their own jobs in DFW, ATL, NYC, etc to care about All Boeing.

ImperialxRat
10-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Of course if there's a merger/acquisition in the works, all bets are off. The 737's could be sold at a fire sale and the SEA HQ staff would be too busy re-apply for their own jobs in DFW, ATL, NYC, etc to care about All Boeing.

I donít see any mergers coming up in the near future. Management secured their positions by purchasing Virgin, making us just slightly large enough that we are more difficult to acquire.

Delta is a powerhouse that will grow organically, specifically Seattle/West Coast internationals. Southwest is growing organically in Hawaii and will then move on the central/South America.

Neither one needs or wants this disgruntled pilot group merging into their ranks.

ShyGuy
10-03-2019, 12:33 PM
jetBlue tried to buy Virgin so you know they are looking. There still will be more mergers, 6 airlines have yet to merge in some way: Hawaiian, jetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, and Sun Country. It may take the next economic downturn to trigger a round of mergers.

KnockKnock
10-03-2019, 01:50 PM
I donít see any mergers coming up in the near future. Management secured their positions by purchasing Virgin, making us just slightly large enough that we are more difficult to acquire.

Delta is a powerhouse that will grow organically, specifically Seattle/West Coast internationals. Southwest is growing organically in Hawaii and will then move on the central/South America.

Neither one needs or wants this disgruntled pilot group merging into their ranks.
You think anyone cares about our contentment? No acquisition/merger would ever take place if the disposition of the pilot group was taken into consideration. You think this is bad? Talk to the pilots that lived/live through the Frankenstein that is U.S. Air/America West/AA/TWA. Or CAL/UAL or DAL/NWA or AT/SWA.....just to name a few disgruntled groups. Yet all those shotgun weddings happened. Money, not feelings, is the only thing that matters.

ImperialxRat
10-03-2019, 02:30 PM
You think anyone cares about our contentment? No acquisition/merger would ever take place if the disposition of the pilot group was taken into consideration. You think this is bad? Talk to the pilots that lived/live through the Frankenstein that is U.S. Air/America West/AA/TWA. Or CAL/UAL or DAL/NWA or AT/SWA.....just to name a few disgruntled groups. Yet all those shotgun weddings happened. Money, not feelings, is the only thing that matters.

Okay, I,ll rephase it to: Neither one needs or wants to acquire us.

KnockKnock
10-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Okay, I,ll rephase it to: Neither one needs or wants to acquire us.
I agree with you on that.

ShyGuy
10-03-2019, 02:50 PM
We wouldnít be getting a MAX sim for only 37 MAX aircraft.

KnockKnock
10-03-2019, 03:02 PM
We wouldnít be getting a MAX sim for only 37 MAX aircraft.
Same email indicates an aircraft order coming. If I was a betting man, Iíd say odds favor many Maxís to replace all the Airbusí and older 737. Iíd say somewhere in the range of 101...

Xtreme87
10-03-2019, 05:04 PM
jetBlue tried to buy Virgin so you know they are looking. There still will be more mergers, 6 airlines have yet to merge in some way: Hawaiian, jetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant, and Sun Country. It may take the next economic downturn to trigger a round of mergers.

Well, thereís a new trend in Europe, which may just make itís way over here. Let the struggling airline fail, then pick itís carcass apart. Seems to be working quite well. We may not see mergers as much anymore.

Max Thrust
10-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Same email indicates an aircraft order coming. If I was a betting man, Iíd say odds favor many Maxís to replace all the Airbusí and older 737. Iíd say somewhere in the range of 101...

You donít hire a third party that specializes in fleet modeling to just return to a single type.

NewGuy01
10-03-2019, 05:30 PM

You should read up on the range/ payload capability of the EMB-190E2.

Considering we donít have scope it seemed like the most important and frightening part of the emails we received today.

KnockKnock
10-03-2019, 06:02 PM
You donít hire a third party that specializes in fleet modeling to just return to a single type.
Hey, I’d love to see a dual fleet. I’d love to see them add all kinds of new types to the certificate, (flown by AS pilots). Reality is, they’re most likely just bidding time until the Max is back up and flying so they can announce their decision with a show of confidence from the FAA and Boeing to help alleviate pax fears. They’ve had more than 3 years to “study” the Bus and make a dual fleet decision. I don’t see it happening. Believe me, I hope I’m wrong and there is a large diversified a/c order but......common.

KnockKnock
10-03-2019, 06:13 PM
You should read up on the range/ payload capability of the EMB-190E2.

Considering we donít have scope it seemed like the most important and frightening part of the emails we received today.

If flown by AS pilots, I say bring it on. We may not have scope now but by the time they could even consider bringing a larger RJ on property, we’d be so embroiled in section 6 (section 1) negotiations, I doubt they’d be willing to risk announcing such a venture and still believe the operation would run as usual. I think we’d get a chance to vote in some meaningful protections by the time such an a/c were to be talked about. The 190 E2 was in our hangar last year too, haven’t see it in AS paint yet...

ShyGuy
10-03-2019, 07:53 PM

I wouldn't put too much weight on that. Regardless, they've already said the 319s/320s are going to be gone. If we are to be a dual fleet, it would be 321s going forward.

Meekrob
10-08-2019, 03:16 PM
What's the DOH for the most junior PDX FO?

flysnoopy76
10-08-2019, 03:38 PM
What's the DOH for the most junior PDX FO?

January 2018

Flyboy8784
10-09-2019, 12:04 PM
I'm waiting for the third party to present their results to the Brens and they go "But......it doesn't say 737MAX in here?.......change it...."

Vectorss
10-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Has anyone received a call from the last hiring window?

iropman
12-10-2019, 05:02 AM
Has anyone received a call from the last hiring window?

Does anyone know if they are doing interviews/hiring right now? Or are they waiting till Jan Ď20?

flysnoopy76
12-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Does anyone know if they are doing interviews/hiring right now? Or are they waiting till Jan Ď20?

No interviews at the moment

NW Wildcat
12-10-2019, 12:27 PM
They scheduled interviews on the 12th. Last day for 2020. Will resume in January

Herjan
12-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Am I still in the race for an interview if I applied in the October window and havenít heard anything?

flysnoopy76
12-16-2019, 06:00 AM
Am I still in the race for an interview if I applied in the October window and havenít heard anything?

Despite what the chief pilot put out a month or so ago I wouldnít expect much in the way of hiring in 2020, at least until the max fiasco is resolved. Airplanes are leaving the fleet currently, not in huge numbers but leaving nonetheless.

Outdoors
12-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Despite what the chief pilot put out a month or so ago I wouldnít expect much in the way of hiring in 2020, at least until the max fiasco is resolved. Airplanes are leaving the fleet currently, not in huge numbers but leaving nonetheless.

Donít worry several FOs bailing next month, record hiring for record attrition!

jamesholzhauer
12-16-2019, 07:34 PM
How many are on the Alaska seniority list now?

Thrill
12-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Hired #3089 today

Reactivity
12-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Am I still in the race for an interview if I applied in the October window and haven’t heard anything?

You are just as much in the race as anybody who has applied in the last five (or is it six now? might even be seven) application windows.

With Alaska, you have to be prepared to hear nothing for a long time. The first communication you get from them may well be late next year when they purge the system and open another window. They'll do you the courtesy of letting you know you can apply again.

NewGuy01
12-16-2019, 10:40 PM
There is apparently another window in January coming and youíll likely need to apply again

ImperialxRat
12-16-2019, 11:30 PM
You need to apply at each application window. If you havenít heard anything since the last time you applied that means youíre still in the running.

Reactivity
12-18-2019, 08:48 AM
You need to apply at each application window. If you havenít heard anything since the last time you applied that means youíre still in the running.

I've been "in the running" for seven years straight now!

CountonIt
12-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Any confirmed class dates yet for 2020?

diamnd15
12-23-2019, 11:50 AM
1/27, 2/10, 2/24 is tentative

Thrill
12-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Planned classes into APR, though future hiring is always subject to change.

ShyGuy
12-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Wasnít Jan supposed to be 3 classes and Feb 1?

Pilot553
12-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Wasnít Jan supposed to be 3 classes and Feb 1?

1/6 1/13 1/27 2/10 is what I have heard.

Ispeakjive
12-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Hiring will remain strong because this airline is lagging. They aren't buying 321's nor are they taking Max's (beyond their control) and they are shedding 319's and 320's.

Why hire when losing so many aircraft? It's because they are losing pilots in record numbers. Ask yourself "why?"

Company's published Vision for 2020:
Network changes: summer 2020 schedule

In 2020 and beyond, weíre going to be focusing on growing our market share in the Pacific Northwest. To help us meet these goals, our network planning team has run the numbers, reviewed our revenue, and developed some changes to our summer schedule. (Cuz we're getting beat).

As we continue to strive to be the best airline in the face of unrelenting competition (i.e. teeth kicked in), these changes will help us maintain our seat share in Seattle and strengthen markets and build frequency where we see strong returns on investment.

Seattleís a thriving and expanding region, and itís our hometown (it's ONE fricking town). We need to continue growing to keep pace with the region, provide our guests with the best service possible and be the best airline in Seattle. We know the SEA operation is constrained, and one of our highest priorities is to manage Seattle congestion. The fact is that we have to grow Seattle to maintain our gates and hold off competition.

So, what does this mean for the summer schedule?

For the summer, weíre down-gauging our intra-California routes and increasing frequencies with smaller aircraft Ė both Horizon and SkyWest. Moving this flying to regionals frees us up to fly mainline jets on Seattle routes to Montana and other popular summer destinations.

In their own words, Alaska is getting beat by the competition, they are retreating to the PNW, yet they will continue to grow their regional operation.

This isn't the Alaska that you fell in love with. Keep climbing.

ASAPsafetyGUY
12-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Hiring will remain strong because this airline is lagging. They aren't buying 321's nor are they taking Max's (beyond their control) and they are shedding 319's and 320's.

Why hire when losing so many aircraft? It's because they are losing pilots in record numbers. Ask yourself "why?"

Company's published Vision for 2020:
Network changes: summer 2020 schedule

In 2020 and beyond, weíre going to be focusing on growing our market share in the Pacific Northwest. To help us meet these goals, our network planning team has run the numbers, reviewed our revenue, and developed some changes to our summer schedule. (Cuz we're getting beat).

As we continue to strive to be the best airline in the face of unrelenting competition (i.e. teeth kicked in), these changes will help us maintain our seat share in Seattle and strengthen markets and build frequency where we see strong returns on investment.

Seattleís a thriving and expanding region, and itís our hometown (it's ONE fricking town). We need to continue growing to keep pace with the region, provide our guests with the best service possible and be the best airline in Seattle. We know the SEA operation is constrained, and one of our highest priorities is to manage Seattle congestion. The fact is that we have to grow Seattle to maintain our gates and hold off competition.

So, what does this mean for the summer schedule?

For the summer, weíre down-gauging our intra-California routes and increasing frequencies with smaller aircraft Ė both Horizon and SkyWest. Moving this flying to regionals frees us up to fly mainline jets on Seattle routes to Montana and other popular summer destinations.

In their own words, Alaska is getting beat by the competition, they are retreating to the PNW, yet they will continue to grow their regional operation.

This isn't the Alaska that you fell in love with. Keep climbing.

Good bye, Alaska. It was great knowing you.

ShyGuy
12-30-2019, 03:27 PM
Curious, why is the sky falling? Trying to read between the lines, what intra California routes does the Airbus do? The only ones I can think of are SF/LA and SF/SAN. We already lost SJC a lil while ago to the regionals. What other routes does the Airbus do intra-California?

The announcement doesnít sound like theyíre cutting flying in terms of reducing capacity systemwide?. It says re-allocating the Airbus routes to do more out of SEA and intra CA routes to the regionals. We gain some previous regional only routes, like SEA-MSO/FAT/BZN. The Bus is doing flight(s) to those cities and replacing a Q400/E170 route, and gaining additional frequencies to places like MKE and PIT. With no Buses coming and the MAX grounded, that flying has to come from somewhere, hence the re-allocation?

The un-grounding of the MAX at this point has entirely become political. The fix is logical, sound, and should have been approved by now. Itís all image at this point and for the FAA to save face and look like they are in complete control. Now EASA is yelling about changing long standing published procedures on the 737 after a sim evaluation done by line pilots that had an AOA sensor disagree on takeoff. Never mind that all pilots in the same scenario made it out just fine. Why should EASA unground the MAX anytime soon when their countries make the Airbus and all of Europe benefits while Boeing suffers? MAX is very limited numbers in Europe. Why should China unground the MAX anytime soon with all these tariffs and trade wars?

Yes we need scope and it will come in the next contract. Not sure I understand the gloom Ďn doom as itís being painted here. Once the MAX is flying again, there will be a mass order. The Airbuses are done. I thought I read that going forward the 319/320s would all be returned and if we stay dual fleet, it would only be 321NEOs. With only 10 of those there should be no problem getting out of them. If they had wanted more Buses by now they would have already ordered them. Correct? Instead, deferred 320NEOs from 2020-2022 to 2022-2024. 1 left in 2019, 2 leave for 2020. That will be 70 Airbuses by year end 2020. The MAX will be re-certified 1Q 2020 and in service by summer. There should be a fleet ďplanĒ announced by then. I still think a 100-150 MAX order is a real possibility.

NewGuy01
12-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Sadly the only aircraft order Iíd believe at this point would be 100 seat EMB-190s to Horizon. Probably in the range of about 30 aircraft.

As for anything else Iíll believe it when Iím sitting in the seat and the check clears.

rickair7777
12-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Why should EASA unground the MAX anytime soon when their countries make the Airbus and all of Europe benefits while Boeing suffers? MAX is very limited numbers in Europe. Why should China unground the MAX anytime soon with all these tariffs and trade wars?

They'll delay for a bit to prove their points, but not for too long. Why?

Because their programs might also stumble one day and payback is a real biatch...

atooraya
12-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Sadly the only aircraft order Iíd believe at this point would be 100 seat EMB-190s to Horizon. Probably in the range of about 30 aircraft.

As for anything else Iíll believe it when Iím sitting in the seat and the check clears.

Iíll believe anything on AM radio or podcasts, especially if theyíre conspiracy theories.

MicrowaveDave
12-31-2019, 08:54 AM

The only way that could happen is if mgmt did it in a way that upsets both AS and QX pilots.

How's that scope coming along?

ShyGuy
12-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Fleet decision in January meetings?

rickair7777
12-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Fleet decision in January meetings?

Probably need the Max cleared before they announce anything. May not even know what they're doing until Max plays out?

Mea25000
12-31-2019, 09:52 AM
Probably need the Max cleared before they announce anything. May not even know what they're doing until Max plays out?

Itís done. Pretty sure they decided to announce without MAX final certification.

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís
3850 pilot seniority in 2025
If the the economy holds, if not there is flexibility to swap out some 737NGís for Maxís.

All Airbus and positions have buyers

fifidriver
12-31-2019, 10:53 AM
Itís done. Pretty sure they decided to announce without MAX final certification.

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís
If the the economy holds, if not there is flexibility to swap out some 737NGís for Maxís.

Awesome!!! We are MAYBE going to grow by 700 pilots in the next 5 years.... Holly crap... you werenít kidding, I just won lottery! :D😂
All kidding aside, if I was a loyal Eskimo customer and found out that my go to airline had ordered a bunch of super, de-certified MAX flying coffins I wouldn't necessarily be all excited about it! Just saying.....

450knotOffice
12-31-2019, 11:01 AM
while there will be a FEW people who won't fly on a MAX, most won't know and will happily fly on any jet that gets them to their destination.

Back2future
12-31-2019, 11:29 AM

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís

Did you mean 2035? You sound more and more like a recruiter everyday.

Mea25000
12-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Awesome!!! We are MAYBE going to grow by 700 pilots in the next 5 years.... Holly crap... you werenít kidding, I just won lottery! :D😂
All kidding aside, if I was a loyal Eskimo customer and found out that my go to airline had ordered a bunch of super, de-certified MAX flying coffins I wouldn't necessarily be all excited about it! Just saying.....
I understand math is hard for you

3850 - 2932= 918 add 265 retirements company estimate 1183 new hires in 5 years. About 237 a year. Honestly, with transitioning all the Airbus folks, that is the absolute most the training department can handle.

Thrill
12-31-2019, 11:47 AM
And the 200+ of attrition over the next 5 years? That factored in to your insider info? (150-ish when we secure a contract with scope, 250+ if we havenít in the next few years)

Excargodog
12-31-2019, 11:58 AM

3850 - 2932= 918 add 265 retirements company estimate 1183 new hires in 5 years. About 237 a year. Honestly, with transitioning all the Airbus folks, that is the absolute most the training department can handle.
Unless the 3850 includes the pilots needed to fly the 80 E-170s and the 2932 doesnít. :eek:

NewGuy01
12-31-2019, 12:03 PM
And the 200+ of attrition over the next 5 years? That factored in to your insider info? (150-ish when we secure a contract with scope, 250+ if we havenít in the next few years)

At present FO attrition is equal to retirement numbers. It could pick up as the big 3 seem to be on a hiring binge ATM.

Heck, I may even get a call from UAL. They are hiring 1300 in 2020 alone

fifidriver
12-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Hmm thats odd, I just looked at the January base position and see at least 3062 pilots. Thats 130 more pilots than you claim! You dont have to be a math major to realize that your claims are full of sh.... Kind of like the company's claim of being one happy family! In addition, 3 years ago I heard in person from Hornibrook that we will be a total of 5000 pilots by 2023. Yeah about that!😉

ShyGuy
12-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Hmm thats odd, I just looked at the January base position and see at least 3062 pilots. Thats 130 more pilots than you claim! You dont have to be a math major to realize that your claims are full of sh.... Kind of like the company's claim of being one happy family! In addition, 3 years ago I heard in person from Hornibrook that we will be a total of 5000 pilots by 2023. Yeah about that!😉

Look up the difference between active pilots and base position lists. BPLs are useless. MEA is most likely referring to active pilots.

Flaps1check
12-31-2019, 12:46 PM

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís

So an order for 146 737s?

fifidriver
12-31-2019, 12:47 PM
Look up the difference between active pilots and base position lists. BPLs are useless. MEA is most likely referring to active pilots.

Then why do BPLs are even published? Not directed at you by any means but this company seems to have difficulty publishing pertinent information. Last seniority list I find is from almost 5 months ago. Is it really that hard to publish one every month? Nonetheless, I'm done focusing on things I can't control here. My New Years resolution is to stay away from useless forums! Happy New Year all and hope 2020 is be kind to us all!

fifidriver
12-31-2019, 12:58 PM

Lets agree to disagree... But for all our sake and future I hope some of your claims come true! ;)

Outdoors
12-31-2019, 02:29 PM

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís

Wait and read the 4th quarter results for anything substantial, they kept telling analysts theyíd have more information around then. Looking forward to higher congestion in Seattle!

ShyGuy
12-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Then why do BPLs are even published? Not directed at you by any means but this company seems to have difficulty publishing pertinent information. Last seniority list I find is from almost 5 months ago. Is it really that hard to publish one every month? Nonetheless, I'm done focusing on things I can't control here. My New Years resolution is to stay away from useless forums! Happy New Year all and hope 2020 is be kind to us all!

Itís just a total amount of people in that B/S/E. Itís useless for monthly bidding. The only thing it helps is to see where youíd fall in that BSE when it comes to vacancy bidding.

Finally we are getting estimated bid lists. This is what we had at VX. A tots list of bidders eligible that month. Now if this shows 165 tots people and 105 lines, you know youíd have 60 people in the OF/RSV bidding process.

As for seniority lists the CBA says the company will publish it twice, Feb 5th and Aug 5th. Thatís why you only see it 2x/year.

Mea25000
12-31-2019, 05:08 PM
So an order for 146 737s?

No, we already had 37 coming, we will take 146 aircraft by 2025... it honestly could take to the end of 2027... hopefully not. It is all very fluid but those are the best numbers anyone is going to disclose.

WutFace
12-31-2019, 05:14 PM
No, we already had 37 coming, we will take 146 aircraft by the end of 2025 though.

When MEA makes predictions...
https://media2.giphy.com/media/iDJuQR0UmiqOI/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611790baa4b47b4c3eb9eec05208764 b6495bc3473b&rid=giphy.gif

Mea25000
12-31-2019, 05:17 PM
When MEA makes predictions...
https://media2.giphy.com/media/iDJuQR0UmiqOI/giphy.gif?cid=790b7611790baa4b47b4c3eb9eec05208764 b6495bc3473b&rid=giphy.gif

So tell me... when have I been wrong?

jamesholzhauer
12-31-2019, 05:47 PM
So tell me... when have I been wrong?

Right about here (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2910586-post40.html):
Max recertification should be inked by no later then mid December by the FAA. Training and maintenance completed by mid February. Max flying passengers March 1st.

Mea25000
12-31-2019, 05:53 PM

Like I am in charge of certification... that is what Boeing told us at that time.
Certified early March flying passengers early May. Thatís the new line... if I am wrong again please let me have it again

ASAPsafetyGUY
12-31-2019, 06:37 PM

He didn't mention which mid December it would be.

Baradium
12-31-2019, 09:16 PM
Like I am in charge of certification... that is what Boeing told us at that time.
Certified early March flying passengers early May. Thatís the new line... if I am wrong again please let me have it again

To be fair.... you were still wrong. Are you in charge of anything else you are claiming knowledge of? Because "I'm not in charge of that" is quite a blanket statement.

Corkscrew
01-01-2020, 05:02 AM

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís

Source??....

KnockKnock
01-01-2020, 08:44 AM
To be fair.... you were still wrong. Are you in charge of anything else you are claiming knowledge of? Because "I'm not in charge of that" is quite a blanket statement.
Why do you shove your nose into our boards? Too many DL guys telling you to pound sand so you come over here to puff out your chest? Non of this concerns you. Be on your way and let AS pilots worry about AS pilot stuff. We don’t need to be policed by bullied DL pilots.

Mudhen200
01-01-2020, 08:46 AM
MEA25000,
I just want to say thank you for showing up from time to time on this board and laying down some information. You have never been wrong, on things that can be controlled. Your inside info is always spot on and I for one appreciate it. It is nice to get a look behind the curtain, a glance at the crystal ball.
I'm glad that you ignore these kids who throw a hissy fit when you tell them something they don't want to hear. I appreciate you telling the truth regardless of the message. Please keep doing it from time to time so old guys like me can stay in the loop.
Thanks again!

Flaps1check
01-01-2020, 09:34 AM

321 NB aircraft NG/MAX
80 170ís

Further clarification please. The 80 170s is for the regional side? What is that compared to the number currently flying under the Alaska colors? Also is it 170s, 175s, or 190s? Does their plan factor in that scope is the #1 priority of the pilot group?

Flaps1check
01-01-2020, 09:35 AM
MEA25000,
I just want to say thank you for showing up from time to time on this board and laying down some information. You have never been wrong, on things that can be controlled. Your inside info is always spot on and I for one appreciate it. It is nice to get a look behind the curtain, a glance at the crystal ball.
I'm glad that you ignore these kids who throw a hissy fit when you tell them something they don't want to hear. I appreciate you telling the truth regardless of the message. Please keep doing it from time to time so old guys like me can stay in the loop.
Thanks again!
I agree, as one who would criticize because I didnít want to hear the news. I appreciate the heads up, good or bad to me personally.

rickair7777
01-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Further clarification please. The 80 170s is for the regional side? What is that compared to the number currently flying under the Alaska colors? Also is it 170s, 175s, or 190s? Does their plan factor in that scope is the #1 priority of the pilot group?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines#Current_fleet

This shows 62 current E175. Also shows 33 Q400.

If the Q's go away, that would be a net reduction in regional aircraft.

I doubt they would go for any huge changes to the mainline/regional balance in the middle of contentious scope negotiations. Especially regional E190s.

That would not give the appearance of bargaining in good faith and would thus increase the odds of NMB releasing the union.

Anson Harris
01-01-2020, 10:15 AM

Horizon currently operates 30 E175, and Skywest operates 32 E175. So current E175 total is 62.

Back2future
01-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Horizon currently operates 30 E175, and Skywest operates 32 E175. So current E175 total is 62.

Horizon is contractually owed 3 more; so expect 65 total in the next couple years.

ShyGuy
01-01-2020, 09:43 PM
So the big question, if we are going single fleet then is there any point in opening a Bus SEA base only to close it a short term later? It would seem the cheapest way to transition would be to reduce/vacancy LAX from Airbus/Boeing respectively, and for SFO close/open Airbus/Boeing?

Anson Harris
01-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Horizon is contractually owed 3 more; so expect 65 total in the next couple years.

I was just trying to provide context for the "80 AAG ERJs by 2025" that's being predicted.

I'll go ahead and make a prediction for the 18 unallocated ERJs: Skywest will get 8, and Horizon will get 12. They'll both end up with 40 each.

Max Thrust
01-02-2020, 09:01 PM
So the big question, if we are going single fleet then is there any point in opening a Bus SEA base only to close it a short term later? It would seem the cheapest way to transition would be to reduce/vacancy LAX from Airbus/Boeing respectively, and for SFO close/open Airbus/Boeing?

Weíre not going single fleet

Flaps1check
01-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Weíre not going single fleet

Source? Or a ďgut feelingĒ

ShyGuy
01-03-2020, 07:59 AM
It we werenít going single fleet, wouldnít we have ordered or acquired Airbus by now? It just seems that in a time when we need airplanes, the silence means we have no interest in Airbus?

Itís for that reason it seems like we are headed for a single fleet. Hoping for at least 100-150 MAX orders!

plt32173
01-03-2020, 08:48 AM
It we werenít going single fleet, wouldnít we have ordered or acquired Airbus by now? It just seems that in a time when we need airplanes, the silence means we have no interest in Airbus?

Itís for that reason it seems like we are headed for a single fleet. Hoping for at least 100-150 MAX orders!

Soooo.. silence means we arenít interested. Weíve been silent on a fleet plan for over 3-years. That must mean we are only interested in being a credit card company...oh wait 😜

ASAPsafetyGUY
01-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Soooo.. silence means we arenít interested. Weíve been silent on a fleet plan for over 3-years. That must mean we are only interested in being a credit card company...oh wait 😜

The interest is in Horizon and Skywest. I think Compass May come up for grabs too.

Jet J
01-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Heard anywhere from 200 all the way up to 600 planned to be hired this year.
anyone know what the actual plan is for 2020?

flysnoopy76
01-21-2020, 10:55 AM

It wonít be 200, maybe in the 50ish range for retirements plus FO attrition. Thereís nothing else to currently drive hiring, Airbus aircraft are leaving and obviously the max deliveries are not happening at the moment obviously.

rickair7777
01-21-2020, 12:07 PM
It wonít be 200, maybe in the 50ish range for retirements plus FO attrition. Thereís nothing else to currently drive hiring, Airbus aircraft are leaving and obviously the max deliveries are not happening at the moment obviously.

Maybe so, Max certification got pushed again to mid 2020.

Jet J
01-21-2020, 12:56 PM

ahh thatís too bad.

Mudhen200
01-22-2020, 03:16 PM
150-200 in 2020. Subject to change. Max delay is not helping.

ShyGuy
01-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Why hasnít it been certified by now? The MCAS software is fixed. Now they are having issues with dumb things, stuff that is already on the 737-NG fleet. The latest issue being something about the self power up test when the plane is first energized with electrical power. Wow! Itís almost as if the FAA was sleeping when the NGs were certified.

flysnoopy76
01-22-2020, 05:39 PM
150-200 in 2020. Subject to change. Max delay is not helping.

I would certainly like to be wrong and your numbers be correct, but what is possibly driving those kind of hiring numbers?

Thrill
01-22-2020, 06:02 PM
Nearly 40 for retirements, probably the same for resignations, so 80-ish just to tread water.

Mea25000
01-22-2020, 06:57 PM
120-200... best guess right now

CountonIt
01-23-2020, 08:03 AM
Any intel on length of time from CJO to class date? How many are waiting for class, etc? Thanks!

diamnd15
01-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Any intel on length of time from CJO to class date? How many are waiting for class, etc? Thanks!

end of September CJOs were offered February classes

Mudhen200
01-23-2020, 08:43 AM
I'm only repeating what a BCP said a few days ago.
A Base Chief at Alaska is barely one step above a line pilot on intel. They only parrot what they are told and that can change as quickly as BM can change out of his undies.
But seriously - to all you younglings out there - he who has an ear, let him hear!
20 plus years ago, flying for AK was the only thing that mattered in my life. Now, as I approach geezerville, I realize that it hasn't been a bad ride so far, but it could have been a lot better somewhere else (at least financially).

The only reason I would recommend a young pilot coming here is if they are firmly rooted in the PNW and have zero desire to try living in another part of the country and refuse (wisely in my opinion) to commute. I get that, I'm one of those guys. I'm also going to make a metric [email protected]#k ton less money than my Delta neighbor because of that decision which I made over 20 years ago. Just think about that - choose wisely, don't sell yourself short. The pilot market is only going to get better and better over the next 20 years, so go big!

My career will be spent getting in the truck and driving to work. That's a blessing to me. My career will also be spent making a lot less money for my family, while doing the same work and being away from home just as much as my Delta neighbor. I don't commute, he does. I don't cross many time zones, he does. I only pull an all nighter once or twice a year, he does it monthly. Pro's and Con's. I'm just suggesting that you all think about it. With this pilot market, there is no reason why a good pilot can't accomplish anything he / she chooses.
As to those of us committed to sticking it out here - Let's do this! Let us finally put our management in it's place and say no to employees subsidizing the business model. Let us make it so that all my rambling above become obsolete and young pilots desire to spend their careers here because it's the best airline in the industry to work for.

KnockKnock
01-23-2020, 09:28 AM
I'm only repeating what a BCP said a few days ago.
A Base Chief at Alaska is barely one step above a line pilot on intel. They only parrot what they are told and that can change as quickly as BM can change out of his undies.
But seriously - to all you younglings out there - he who has an ear, let him hear!
20 plus years ago, flying for AK was the only thing that mattered in my life. Now, as I approach geezerville, I realize that it hasn't been a bad ride so far, but it could have been a lot better somewhere else (at least financially).

The only reason I would recommend a young pilot coming here is if they are firmly rooted in the PNW and have zero desire to try living in another part of the country and refuse (wisely in my opinion) to commute. I get that, I'm one of those guys. I'm also going to make a metric [email protected]#k ton less money than my Delta neighbor because of that decision which I made over 20 years ago. Just think about that - choose wisely, don't sell yourself short. The pilot market is only going to get better and better over the next 20 years, so go big!

My career will be spent getting in the truck and driving to work. That's a blessing to me. My career will also be spent making a lot less money for my family, while doing the same work and being away from home just as much as my Delta neighbor. I don't commute, he does. I don't cross many time zones, he does. I only pull an all nighter once or twice a year, he does it monthly. Pro's and Con's. I'm just suggesting that you all think about it. With this pilot market, there is no reason why a good pilot can't accomplish anything he / she chooses.
As to those of us committed to sticking it out here - Let's do this! Let us finally put our management in it's place and say no to employees subsidizing the business model. Let us make it so that all my rambling above become obsolete and young pilots desire to spend their careers here because it's the best airline in the industry to work for.
This same sentiment has played out at every airline in existence. There are still UAL guys that are so embittered by the companies past dealings that they advise against going there. I know a few. As I read through different airlines threads, there are at least a handful of folks who say their contract is the worst in the industry. Look at the JB, HAL and AA threads. This is a strange career. Our experience means nothing when moving company to company. We’re forever starting over. Mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies can make ones decisions moot. One day your company is on top and the next it’s on the bottom. I don’t think it’s a mistake to come here. This company will be what we make it. I say get your number wherever you can, buckle up and ride the ride. There will be more mergers. Companies will swap paint and “culture”. The cycle will continue as long as air travel exists. I find that living at home and driving to work while navigating this maze of an industry makes the whole thing a little more palatable.

Packrat
01-23-2020, 12:40 PM
I donít think itís a mistake to come here. This company will be what we make it. I say get your number wherever you can, buckle up and ride the ride.

Agreed. When I got hired UPS was just starting its own airline. I could have gone there, but UPS Captains (at the time) were making $111 an hour on all airframes. AS Captains were making $154. By the end of the line, AS Captains were making $100 LESS than UPS guys with the same DoH.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Live your life with no regrets while trying to make it better for those who come after you.

P.S. Back then Delta required 20/20 vision. That criteria round filed my application. :(

9mikemike
01-23-2020, 09:58 PM
Seems like attrition has stabilized at around 40 pilots per year. I would expect that it will remain there for the foreseeable future. Pklot managers are not allowed to acknowledge attrition rates. Hiring numbers never include attrition

AnchorDown
01-24-2020, 07:27 AM
Seems like attrition has stabilized at around 40 pilots per year. I would expect that it will remain there for the foreseeable future. Pklot managers are not allowed to acknowledge attrition rates. Hiring numbers never include attrition

if you get the Union updates, they addressed this, great report and thank you to our Union volunteers! I just got it this morning, so itís fairly new.

9mikemike
01-24-2020, 10:46 PM
if you get the Union updates, they addressed this, great report and thank you to our Union volunteers! I just got it this morning, so itís fairly new.
Correct, ALPA simply states the facts. The Chief pilot and all the mini-meís paint a rosy picture. They, like senior leadership, avoid ever committing to provable data. It's just a funny, backwoods little airline.

All Bizniz
01-28-2020, 04:08 AM
This same sentiment has played out at every airline in existence. There are still UAL guys that are so embittered by the companies past dealings that they advise against going there. I know a few. As I read through different airlines threads, there are at least a handful of folks who say their contract is the worst in the industry. Look at the JB, HAL and AA threads. This is a strange career. Our experience means nothing when moving company to company. Weíre forever starting over. Mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies can make ones decisions moot. One day your company is on top and the next itís on the bottom. I donít think itís a mistake to come here. This company will be what we make it. I say get your number wherever you can, buckle up and ride the ride. There will be more mergers. Companies will swap paint and ďcultureĒ. The cycle will continue as long as air travel exists. I find that living at home and driving to work while navigating this maze of an industry makes the whole thing a little more palatable.

There will always be a group of pilots in any airline who no matter the circumstances, will still complain about how terrible their company is; and sometimes it is understandable because it came from a rough patch they experienced during their career there, but if you look at it objectively, from say ALPA's Contract Comparison publication, it is clear how the airlines stack up.

Intangibles such as company culture, management/worker relationship, commuting/living in base, etc - if it's important to a pilot - are all factors that will round out the ultimate picture, but usually over time, a consensus will build about the desirability about working for one airline vs another.

KnockKnock
01-28-2020, 09:47 AM
There will always be a group of pilots in any airline who no matter the circumstances, will still complain about how terrible their company is; and sometimes it is understandable because it came from a rough patch they experienced during their career there, but if you look at it objectively, from say ALPA's Contract Comparison publication, it is clear how the airlines stack up.

Intangibles such as company culture, management/worker relationship, commuting/living in base, etc - if it's important to a pilot - are all factors that will round out the ultimate picture, but usually over time, a consensus will build about the desirability about working for one airline vs another.
Sure, I agree. I guess my point is to emphasize that this place will be what we make it. Every airline has had some pretty big skeletons in their closet. However, it didn’t stop pilots from applying and eventually, collectively, improving each contract. Most recently, JB, NK and F9. Before them, DAL, UAL and SW.

We’re most definitely behind the curve on many sections of our contract. I believe we can and will make big strides in the coming years as long as we don’t lose sight of the long term goals. We can’t jump for carrots and must remain united on meat and potato issues. ie. scope, scheduling and pay. This is all the more reason to continue to bring in new blood that will help lead this group in the right direction. After all, 2/3 of this group are pretty new to the AS world and it has already created change. The old way of thinking is being shown the door.

There’s talk of the company hinting at alter ego airlines on the Alyeska boards. Nooooooooooooo! We must put aside any little differences to fight against an abomination like that. Remember “freedom” and “go jet”? Both were used to circumnavigate union jobs. To quote the brain trust in the WH, “not good!”

Makes the whole, Boeing vs. Airbus, argument seem pretty petty when we have a gigantic fish like this to fry doesn’t it!? How about we just make sure that no matter the airframe, it’s AS pilots on the AS list flying them...

9mikemike
01-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Great ideas....
A couple things to overcome.
1) Little to no unity, very little prior to the merger, even less after.
2) Complete lack of contractual awareness. Very little before the merger even less after.
The route to a better contract and a better job are both at the top of those very steep hills.....
We have the best MEC in 30 years, solid LECís, with a few exceptions our Committee chairs are motivated
and hard working.
None of which will change our outcome if we cant find unity and dont start enforcing our current CBA with an
iron fist. These are the same problems we have faced for 30 years and they are worse post merger than pre merger

KnockKnock
01-29-2020, 08:07 AM
Great ideas....
A couple things to overcome.
1) Little to no unity, very little prior to the merger, even less after.
2) Complete lack of contractual awareness. Very little before the merger even less after.
The route to a better contract and a better job are both at the top of those very steep hills.....
We have the best MEC in 30 years, solid LECís, with a few exceptions our Committee chairs are motivated
and hard working.
None of which will change our outcome if we cant find unity and dont start enforcing our current CBA with an
iron fist. These are the same problems we have faced for 30 years and they are worse post merger than pre merger
You’re right, we’ve got a lot to overcome. I don’t see why we can’t achieve just that though. The top 4 airlines pilot groups have all successfully navigated through the fog of gutted contracts, bankrupt companies, poor labor relations, merged seniority lists and pilot animosity brought about by those mergers. I think the number of “woke” pilots grows daily. I haven’t flown with one guy/gal in at least two years that thinks our contract is sufficient. Sure some are more militant than others but nobody thinks we’re getting what we’re worth.

I agree, we’ve got a great set of guys leading this group in the MEC, LEC’s and NC. Like you say, the best in 30 years. This Union leadership is made up of both L-VX and L-AS and is proof to me that things are changing for the better and we are overcoming some of the pitfalls associated with mergers.

I also believe that unity is increasing. We may not be sitting on the crew room floor in circles singing kumbaya but we are starting to direct our discontent toward management instead of each other. That’s a big first step. The petty infighting is starting to dampen down as far as I can tell.

ExperimentalAB
01-29-2020, 08:19 AM
Yes, I think this pilot group has finally woken up...but please let us not call that ďwoke.Ē Please no haha

KnockKnock
01-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Yes, I think this pilot group has finally woken up...but please let us not call that ďwoke.Ē Please no haha
It’s my best attempt at speaking millennese....

9mikemike
01-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Yes it is true that we spoke via surveys and in direct contact with our LEC/ Committee members. The MEC is directing the negotiating
to that end. The very best support you can give those negotiators now is to know this current JCBA and enforce this current JCBA.
We all are going to live under it exactly as it is written for quite some time. A year or maybe two before we have a contract to vote on.

flysnoopy76
01-30-2020, 05:25 AM
Yes it is true that we spoke via surveys and in direct contact with our LEC/ Committee members. The MEC is directing the negotiating
to that end. The very best support you can give those negotiators now is to know this current JCBA and enforce this current JCBA.
We all are going to live under it exactly as it is written for quite some time. A year or maybe two before we have a contract to vote on.

a year or two is quite optimistic.

snackysmores
01-30-2020, 06:29 PM
a year or two is quite optimistic.

Does management not have any incentive to move things along with Delta and UAL negotiating right now? If they knock it out of the park it won't help Brad and Ben out at all.

flysnoopy76
01-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Does management not have any incentive to move things along with Delta and UAL negotiating right now? If they knock it out of the park it won't help Brad and Ben out at all.

I see what youíre saying, but donít they claim the major airlines are not in our peer group and as such canít be used as comparison. Itís of course a ridiculous point of view given we operate at least some of the same equipment.

NotTellin
01-30-2020, 08:35 PM

Brad and Ben made that same mistake during the merger negotiations. They dragged their feet and got burned by the higher cost of crews because of Americans pilot raise ďjust becauseĒ and B6 and others.

9mikemike
01-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Brad and Ben made that same mistake during the merger negotiations. They dragged their feet and got burned by the higher cost of crews because of Americans pilot raise ďjust becauseĒ and B6 and others.
Not actually true....We lost on each item of arbitration....Our pay rates are exactly what they planned on paying. Dragging their feet worked just fine for them....The feedback they are getting is telling them that their approach is working just fine....We continue to be remarkable everyday....Extensions-sure, premium on days off-sure, FAR max instead of contract max-sure. We are doing everything we can to elevate the guest experience....No need to let the contract get in the way of that. Attrition, sick leave and employee surveys are not metrics used by leadership. ďMeat in the seatĒ and flights on time...

Pedantillious
02-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Not actually true....We lost on each item of arbitration....Our pay rates are exactly what they planned on paying. Dragging their feet worked just fine for them....The feedback they are getting is telling them that their approach is working just fine....We continue to be remarkable everyday....Extensions-sure, premium on days off-sure, FAR max instead of contract max-sure. We are doing everything we can to elevate the guest experience....No need to let the contract get in the way of that. Attrition, sick leave and employee surveys are not metrics used by leadership. ďMeat in the seatĒ and flights on time...

Unknowable. Brad and Benís offer at arbitration was when AMR already got their substantial raises so itís certainly possible that their stance was adjusted when the market shifted.

9mikemike
02-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Unknowable. Brad and Benís offer at arbitration was when AMR already got their substantial raises so itís certainly possible that their stance was adjusted when the market shifted.
We have lived all my 20 years in the same place below the ďMajorĒ airlines....Easy math problem. Many came with in a percent on the estimates. Months before any raise at American or any offer from Brad.

Pilotlife
02-07-2020, 07:23 PM

I heard from a recruiter today at NGPA the 2020 hiring plan was 400. I hope Iím one of them 🤠

EskimoJoe
02-07-2020, 08:34 PM
I heard from a recruiter today at NGPA the 2020 hiring plan was 400. I hope Iím one of them 🤠
I hope thatís true...hard to imagine though with no MAX. Good luck.

ExperimentalAB
02-07-2020, 09:19 PM

At most itíll be half that. The recruiter was parroting the Air Group talking point - 400 split between Alaska and Horizon.