Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

View Full Version : Alaska Air Hiring

Rsv4lyfe
09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Another app questions-- will it let you submit even though you do not have 3k total time? I've heard it won't, and if that's the case does it log that you tried? I hear they like to see persistence but I wasn't sure if trying to submit even before 3k even mattered.

Going2Baja
09-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Anyone hearing rumors of AK showing books to potential buyers this week? I've heard offers of $65 a share.

Baja.

CassinAK
09-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Anyone hearing rumors of AK showing books to potential buyers this week? I've heard offers of $65 a share.

Baja.

Yep! Heard its Emirates or was it NAI.. Can't remember.

Tubby
09-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Baja.

Bain Capital. Don't worry, they are job creators.

FL410
09-27-2014, 08:17 PM
I heard Nordstroms.

ForeverJunior
09-28-2014, 08:47 AM

Baja.

ALK is mergin' with Virgin. You read it here first. :D

casey135
09-29-2014, 03:51 AM
Heard Southwest from a jumpseater, so I must be true.

alphasierra01
09-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Baja.
Please, please, I hope it's not true!

CATIII
09-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Dunkerly was up there, Hawaiian offered to merge with a a 5 to 1 stock split and some coveted A330 NEO delivery slots...:p

The new company will be known as Estranged Twins Airlines, or ETA..

jamesrhatcher
09-30-2014, 03:33 PM

So do you really believe a potential buyer(s) is/are going to talk with baja first? He would sure like to make you think so but the reality is he's got regrets over leaving Alaska, or being asked to leave, whatever the case.

Packrat
10-01-2014, 03:32 AM
Someone has been buying/merging with AS for the last 25 years. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was and AS pilot or wanted to be one.

NWgearslinger
10-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Anyone know what training pay is like? Is it standard first year pay at 75 hours or something less? Also, how long is training typically? Just trying to plan ahead...

Thanks for your input!

Dakota Kid
10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Anyone know what training pay is like? Is it standard first year pay at 75 hours or something less? Also, how long is training typically? Just trying to plan ahead...

Thanks for your input!

Training is 3 months. You foot the bill for your housing=no hotel provided. Pay is 1st yr pay. Do some looking on this site. There is plenty of info without putting in much effort.

Thrill
10-01-2014, 10:57 AM
About $53 an hour at 75 hour guarantee while in training. Once released to the line, short call is 79 hour guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWgearslinger
10-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Thank you, I have done quite a bit of reading but had heard some conflicting information recently. Thought I would ask those in the know on here! Thanks again! Looking forward to joining the group!

Rsv4lyfe
10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I've done some searching but can anyone comment on the scope language in the contract if any, and if the pilot group wants to change anything during the next round of negotiations? How about soft pay?

Dakota Kid
10-01-2014, 11:30 AM
I've done some searching but can anyone comment on the scope language in the contract if any, and if the pilot group wants to change anything during the next round of negotiations? How about soft pay?

???Scope???

Thrill
10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
All Flying: All flying as set forth in Section 2 [Definitions –
Flight Pay], now or hereafter conducted by, or which hereafter
becomes available to the Company (including utilization of
aircraft under the operational control of the Company) shall, if
flown by the Company, continue to be performed by Pilots on
the Alaska Airlines Pilot System Seniority List. This places a
mutual obligation on the Company and the Pilots.

Flight Pay: means hourly, international and other credited pay on
scheduled, extra sections, and the following non-scheduled flights:

publicity, charters, contract, scenic, attempts, rerouted flights,
instruction, check flying, ferries, engine, instrument, plane and
radio test flights, experimental and airway aid test or proving flights
for which Pilots receive pay in accordance with pay differentials
outlined in this Agreement.

That's about it.

Going2Baja
10-02-2014, 05:45 AM
So do you really believe a potential buyer(s) is/are going to talk with baja first? He would sure like to make you think so but the reality is he's got regrets over leaving Alaska, or being asked to leave, whatever the case.

Nice reply james...Who the heck would talk to me - and I don't think I said that. I actually heard it from two AK friends who 'know' people. As far as being asked to leave....Really? That's not how the industry works tool.

Baja.

CassinAK
10-02-2014, 07:00 AM
I heard from a captain who "knows" people at Boeing that we are getting 10 787's....

SmoothLanderJ
10-02-2014, 07:38 AM
I heard from a captain who "knows" people at Boeing that we are getting 10 787's....

I like the sound of that!

Pelican
10-02-2014, 05:02 PM
I've heard 6 with an option for 4

Packrat
10-03-2014, 02:27 AM
That rumor has been around since the 787 was announced.

Tubby
10-03-2014, 08:11 PM
That rumor has been around since the 787 was announced.

Back then people were ordering them. Today not so much. Maybe the deal looks better after all the canceled orders recently.
Just sayin.

Packrat
10-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Let's just say I seriously doubt the current administration will go the widebody route. Even if the airplane makes more sense for Hawaii/Transcon flying, the Angle Lake boys have a visceral fear that widebody aircraft will cause a response from the Major airlines.

Of course, they've got that on their hands right now with DAL in SEA, so that may be water over the bridge at this point.

2loud
10-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Chicken Little......bahumbug!

HangOn
10-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Let's just say I seriously doubt the current administration will go the widebody route. Even if the airplane makes more sense for Hawaii/Transcon flying, the Angle Lake boys have a visceral fear that widebody aircraft will cause a response from the Major airlines.

Of course, they've got that on their hands right now with DAL in SEA, so that may be water over the bridge at this point.

JJ,

I think you are correct, that water is over the bridge...

HO

ArcticDog
10-06-2014, 07:52 AM
We just announced an order for 10 additional -900ER's...I guess someone confused a "3" with an "8"!

Thrill
10-06-2014, 07:56 AM
10 new to replace 15 old. Doesn't exactly drive hiring....

CassinAK
10-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Sounds like we are going to grow by 10 aircraft by 2017. The company website says we will have 137 at the end 2014 and will have 147 by end of 2017... Should mean continued hiring!

Rabid Seagull
10-06-2014, 08:33 AM
When are you folks expecting to re-brand? I thought there was some design back a year ago without the Eskimo on the tail?

Maybe you'll have to add another shade ( possibly 2 more shades) of Blue, or yellow, or maybe red to it.:D

ForeverJunior
10-06-2014, 08:39 AM
When are you folks expecting to re-brand? I thought there was some design back a year ago without the Eskimo on the tail?

Maybe you'll have to add another shade ( possibly 2 more shades) of Blue, or yellow, or maybe red to it.:D

Oh, I LOL'ed. I see what you did there.

Flycameron
10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Oh, I LOL'ed. I see what you did there.

I have always wondered about the Eskimo on the tail because I really think he looks like Colonel Sanders picture from KFC.

Sliceback
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Pat Gibbs.

ForeverJunior
10-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Jimi Hendrix & Johnny Cash would also be acceptable answers.

In all seriousness, this SEA push by DAL has put the re-branding thing on the back burner.

CassinAK
10-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I hear we are getting new ties though!!!!!

Astro
10-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I hear we are getting new ties though!!!!!

Orange is the new black...

Going2Baja
10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
I have always wondered about the Eskimo on the tail because I really think he looks like Colonel Sanders picture from KFC.

Bob Marley or Nancy Peloci...

Baja.

vagabond
10-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Charles Manson.

jamesrhatcher
10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Charles Manson.

Or it could be our often heard from, but never seen, moderator "vagabond".

Thrill
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't mess with anyone from Federal Way....

Pelican
10-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Just heard today a new position bid will be out next week, albeit small. Good news is there is going to be another one in December and it's supposed to be much larger.

Thrill
10-09-2014, 05:33 PM
GB's latest says we should close out the year with about 140 hired and next year planning 140 more.

2loud
10-10-2014, 08:53 AM
2000 by 2000. Yeah baby!

Thrill
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Ha! Exactly. However, we might actually break 1600![emoji106]

Pelican
10-18-2014, 11:41 AM
New position bid yesterday: 32 new hires.

Next bid expected in December

Rsv4lyfe
10-18-2014, 02:40 PM
New position bid yesterday: 32 new hires.

Next bid expected in December

When will the app window open for thar? Or will they come from the window that closed last month?

Thrill
10-18-2014, 02:41 PM
They'll pull from the last window. Open again March-ish, most likely.

Rsv4lyfe
10-18-2014, 02:50 PM
They'll pull from the last window. Open again March-ish, most likely.

Cool, thanks for the info. Just your WAG, do you foresee this kind of hiring for the next couple years? If everything stays status quo...

mike734
10-18-2014, 03:11 PM
If everything stays status quo...

ROTFLMAO. Status quo? Seriously?

I don't mean to rib ya but there's no such thing in this industry. Alaska is talking growth and hiring but they have been for the last 20 years. And now Delta is making a play for Seattle. Anything can happen.

Your question is not answerable.

Rsv4lyfe
10-18-2014, 03:20 PM
ROTFLMAO. Status quo? Seriously?

I don't mean to rib ya but there's no such thing in this industry. Alaska is talking growth and hiring but they have been for the last 20 years. And now Delta is making a play for Seattle. Anything can happen.

Your question is not answerable.

You're absolutely right, I guss are better worded question would be is this type of hiring unusual? More/less?

F15Cricket
10-18-2014, 03:27 PM
OE complete! :cool: (For the Delta guys who lurk on our Alaska forums, I flew into JNU 3x on OE ... my last time the other day had JAWS reports of Severe and fog below 100' down the entire runway except the first 1000' or so. Wisely, my Capt did the landing, but still a good experience!)

For those of you trying to get hired here, stay persistent. Have a pilot you know take you to meet one of the chief pilots. This is a great place to fly, good training and instruction, everyone I've met enjoys working for the company, and all the instructors are here to help you get through training.

CGfalconHerc
10-18-2014, 10:18 PM
OE complete! :cool: (For the Delta guys who lurk on our Alaska forums, I flew into JNU 3x on OE ... my last time the other day had JAWS reports of Severe and fog below 100' down the entire runway except the first 1000' or so. Wisely, my Capt did the landing, but still a good experience!)

For those of you trying to get hired here, stay persistent. Have a pilot you know take you to meet one of the chief pilots. This is a great place to fly, good training and instruction, everyone I've met enjoys working for the company, and all the instructors are here to help you get through training.

Congrats Cricket! Hope you get to fly with Captain Kim Rose, former Coastie who gave me my qual out of Kodiak..or Captain Jimmy Cullinane, who set the standard for good guys at USCGA. Have fun and fly safe.

CG..

Buffguy52
10-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Just got done with a pre-interview with one of the Seattle CPs yesterday. Has anyone heard of people getting an invitation to the 2-day interview after one of these "meet and greets"? If so, how long did it take to get the invite?

Rsv4lyfe
10-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Just got done with a pre-interview with one of the Seattle CPs yesterday. Has anyone heard of people getting an invitation to the 2-day interview after one of these "meet and greets"? If so, how long did it take to get the invite?

How'd you set up a meet and greet?

80ktsClamp
10-21-2014, 10:47 PM

We don't lurk on your forums... you're participating in a DL forum. :D

Congrats and welcome to the airline world!

flyboygt
10-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi all. Just wondering if it is worth it to go to the NW career forum in Puyallup to meet Alaska guys/gals? I'm a 7 year regional FO with not much hope in sight of making capt anytime soon. Over 4k TT and 3300 turbine. I don't know if there is any credit to showing up to their events. I know they don't go to many.
Thanks

Dakota Kid
10-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi all. Just wondering if it is worth it to go to the NW career forum in Puyallup to meet Alaska guys/gals? I'm a 7 year regional FO with not much hope in sight of making capt anytime soon. Over 4k TT and 3300 turbine. I don't know if there is any credit to showing up to their events. I know they don't go to many.
Thanks

Please, read the previous pages on the forum. You will find your answers. By this question it seems like you haven't been following the forums regarding AS much. To briefly answer your question: yes. I think the deal in Puyallup is in Feb, go to it if you can. If you are not a member of OBAP and WAI, join and go to their annual meetings and career fairs.

flyboygt
10-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the response. I have read thru the previous pages, it's a PITA to sort thru the bs sometimes so I asked the question.

Packrat
10-22-2014, 12:30 PM
With AS, its always worth going to as many of these career fairs that AS is participating in. Networking counts for a lot anywhere, but particularly at AS.

Sioux115
10-23-2014, 08:23 AM
I would have to say its a "must" to go to Puyallup/WIA/OBAP. The ANC base chief stated that with the amount of quality pilots being referred to him there is no reason for them to pick a cold name out of the stack.

flyboygt
10-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

ogilthorpe
10-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I had a pre-interview in January, went to Puyallup in the spring, got the interview in June. It definitely makes a difference, but the process is still slow.

Macdacpilot
10-23-2014, 01:11 PM
So when is SWA going to buy ASA? ;)

outerfix
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey Ogilethorpe, is a pre-interview the same as a meet and greet? I went to Puyallup last February and met the LAX Chief in March and I still have not heard a word. Keeping the faith.

2loud
10-23-2014, 03:18 PM
So when is SWA going to buy ASA? ;)

Between now and when the Messiah returns! Oh, and, it might or might not be SWA so the question should be, "when is xxx airline going to buy Alaskan Airways".

cesnacaptn
10-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Having a stellar resume, attending numerous job fairs and having a personal meeting with a chief pilot does not guarantee a formal interview.

The harsh reality is that some applicants will get downed at some point along the line.

I wish everyone luck in their endeavors, but we all have to accept that not every airline will like or accept every applicant. We all need to keep our options/doors open.

Fly Girl
10-24-2014, 06:59 AM
New member of the Alaska family here!!! :D I'm so excited I can't wait... FA training starts in January. :)

LNL76
10-24-2014, 07:26 AM
New member of the Alaska family here!!! I'm so excited I can't wait... FA training starts in January.

Congrats! Good luck in training, contrary to what some knuckleheads think, it's a wee bit more than learning how to open a can of Coke! :eek: ;)

I hope you enjoy being a FA as much as I do. It's either a career/lifestyle you love OR HATE. (no middle ground)

I don't work for Alaska, but if you have any general questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!

Fly Girl
10-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Congrats! Good luck in training, contrary to what some knuckleheads think, it's a wee bit more than learning how to open a can of Coke! :eek: ;)

I hope you enjoy being a FA as much as I do. It's either a career/lifestyle you love OR HATE. (no middle ground)

I don't work for Alaska, but if you have any general questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them!
Yes I know! I have heard every joke out there this week.. It is a lot of hard work..

Thank you I'm sure I will have many questions... Seattle will be my new home in Jan for training... :). I'm really happy and excited...

jamesrhatcher
10-24-2014, 08:51 AM
New member of the Alaska family here!!! :D I'm so excited I can't wait... FA training starts in January. :)

Congrats. I just got hired into the Alaska family as well as a janitor at corporate. Maybe I'll see you on one of the planes when I move up to cleaning the planes.

LNL76
10-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Congrats. I just got hired into the Alaska family as well as a janitor at corporate. Maybe I'll see you on one of the planes when I move up to cleaning the planes.

Congrats to you as well! I'm sure with hard work and dedication, you'll be able to achieve your goal.....

gearcrankr
10-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Absolutely brilliant!!!

F15Cricket
10-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks

ABSOLUTELY! I went to Puyallup this past Feb, met the chief pilot there. If you know someone that works for Alaska, have them take you to the job fair to meet the chief pilot ...

I also went to WIA in March, and got my day 1 interview there. Day 2 was later in March, started on 21 July, OE was complete last week, today is first day on reserve.

Although they may not give many interviews at events like WIA, OBAP or Oshkosh, they do keep track of those who attend events. It helps pull up your resume from the stack. As the captain who was on my day 1 interview said to me later, "We have 3000 applicants ... and 1000 of those are RJ dudes with 10,000 hours in RJs--what sets them apart?" It's things like community service, and attending events to meet them that will make you stand out.

Keep after it, this is an awesome company to fly for!

F15Cricket
10-24-2014, 11:20 AM

CONGRATS! As a new pilot, I have already come to realize that it's the FAs (along with the CSAs) who are mostly the "face" of the company to our passengers.

Right now, Alaska is hiring some great folks to be FAs. Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride, and I may see you up here in ANC!

Fly Girl
10-24-2014, 11:49 AM
CONGRATS! As a new pilot, I have already come to realize that it's the FAs (along with the CSAs) who are mostly the "face" of the company to our passengers.

Right now, Alaska is hiring some great folks to be FAs. Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride, and I may see you up here in ANC!
Thank you... I'm so excited! so much to do before Jan... I'm so honored to be apart of the Alaska family! :D. I haven't stopped smiling..... Or talking... lol

jamesrhatcher
10-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Congrats to you as well! I'm sure with hard work and dedication, you'll be able to achieve your goal.....

Thanks. I'm confident I'll eventually make it to cleaning the airplanes. And remember, charter crews may do it longer, but janitors do it all night!

Fly Girl
10-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I'm confident I'll eventually make it to cleaning the airplanes. And remember, charter crews may do it longer, but janitors do it all night!

Now that's funny! ;)

ogilthorpe
10-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Hey Ogilethorpe, is a pre-interview the same as a meet and greet? I went to Puyallup last February and met the LAX Chief in March and I still have not heard a word. Keeping the faith.

Yes, I wore a suit and had about a fifteen minute convo about the usual stuff. Why Alaska, are you trying to get on anywhere else, tell us about your career up til now. Keep plugging away, go to any event you think you have a chance of meeting an ACP at, and hope for the best.

Duke Beamer
10-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Has anyone heard anything from this last app window? Any good rumors about hiring numbers/dates/etc...? Thanks in advance for the info.

Thrill
10-26-2014, 09:47 PM
About 140 for next year was the last number mentioned from Flt. ops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duke Beamer
11-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Thx for the info Thrill.

Break, break.

Any Alaska folks out there care to share about life as a new-hire? How long on reserve? How likely is it to get Seattle out of training? Normally 3 day trips? Lastly, best/worst trips in your experience?

Sorry for the 20 questions. Next time you're in Altus, beers on me. Thanks!

CassinAK
11-03-2014, 10:18 PM
Life isn't bad as a new-hire. I think you have a chance of getting Seattle in training or after a short while. You could get LAX or ANC then get Seattle by the time your done with OE or shortly after as long as the bids keep coming out.. And it looks like they will. Our current bid closes soon and another is supposed to be out in 2 months. Management says another 140 pilots next year.

There is a good mix of trips 1, 2, 3 and 4 days. The amount of each varies each month but they try to keep the 4 days down and build more shorter trips. Each base is different in that regard.

Reserves in Seattle fly a lot I've been told. In ANC I flew between 40-75 hours. Reserve goes much more senior now with the new contract. This is because you can fly on days off on top of your 79 hour guarantee. So people who normally wouldn't hold a line end up getting a line.

Packrat
11-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Duke,

Send a PM to F-15Cricket. He just got out of OE and can give you the straight, latest scoop on hiring, training and base assignment.

Duke Beamer
11-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Cass,
Really appreciate the info, that was really helpful.

Pack, thanks for the heads up. I PM'd him but Cricket must be on a nice layover in Kauai. It's all good.

Has anybody heard anything different about a possible March hiring window?

Thanks all!

SmoothLanderJ
11-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Just completed 1st week of indoc today. Base cheif pilots came in today and said to expect hiring to continue next year. Hiring at least 160. ..possibly more at 20 a month.

F15Cricket
11-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Wow, just three weeks out of OE, and for December, I GOT A LINE! And, a good line, too. I know it won't always work out like this, but man, I am ecstatic! This is a great place to be, and an exciting time to be here!

AKpilot
11-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Wow, just three weeks out of OE, and for December, I GOT A LINE! And, a good line, too. I know it won't always work out like this, but man, I am ecstatic! This is a great place to be, and an exciting time to be here!

In Nov and Dec expect different bid results. Many will bid reserve or crap lines to get x-mas or thanksgiving off. Those willing to fly those days can expect better lines. ANC base tends to get off reserve sooner. What you get in January will be more realistic. Welcome to AS, I hope these positive trends continue. It's a good place to be right now.

F15Cricket
11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
That is what I figured, AK Pilot, but I actually have 3 1/2 weekends off as well as Christmas. Guess the line I was awarded (my 3rd choice, btw) didn't look as attractive to others.

Like you said, we will see if it stays like this in Jan!

XTweet
11-09-2014, 10:24 PM
That is what I figured, AK Pilot, but I actually have 3 1/2 weekends off as well as Christmas. Guess the line I was awarded (my 3rd choice, btw) didn't look as attractive to others.

Like you said, we will see if it stays like this in Jan!
Congrats Cricket!!! Any line is a good line.... this new-hires position.

F15Cricket
11-11-2014, 12:05 AM
You got that right! :)

Thrill
11-11-2014, 12:06 AM
If you're up this time of night...it can't be that great of a line Cricket. ;)

F15Cricket
11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I am on the late night reserve this month but next month will be my first with a line. This month I am doing a lot of not flying!

Packrat
11-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Don't forget Cricket is ANC based and is a local boy. That's pretty much the only way you can hold a line that quickly. Not that that's a bad thing.

Most guys that get assigned to ANC initially bail out to other bases ASAP. If you're willing to live in ANC or commute there, you'll get senior quickly. Cricket is a pretty good example of how good new hire life can be if you're willing to commit to the Great White North.

Squawk 1277
11-12-2014, 12:22 AM
LAX based new hire FOs are enjoying the same benefit for the time being.

dashtrash300
11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Does Alaska have a 30 day wait limit on when you may use your travel benefits when hired? This is in regards to going home during breaks in training and not just traveling around the system. Do you designate your commuter airport right in training?

dashtrash300
11-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Also, does Alaska train during holidays and if not do they provide a must ride pass home?

CassinAK
11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
When I was in training you designated your commuter airport in training, could travel right away, and got positive space to and from your residence. This was a while ago so I don't know if it's still the same. And no training over the holidays!

F15Cricket
11-12-2014, 11:32 AM
We, as employees, can travel right away in commuter status like CassinAK mentioned. I flew home to ANC every break I had in training (including the first weekend), several times jump seating because I wanted to, but also had to a couple of times because the flights were full. (I could have flown on Delta and had a whole row to myself, though!)

Flying in commuter status gives you higher priority but the only positive space tickets were to start training and when it was over.

The 30 day limit is for your family flying standby.

dashtrash300
11-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you guys for the reponses!

skypilot35
11-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Does Alaska Airlines have a scope clause? Just curious.

ForeverJunior
11-12-2014, 04:09 PM

That's a big NO.

skypilot35
11-12-2014, 04:57 PM
That's a big NO.

Any idea as to why or if that will be corrected?

ExperimentalAB
11-12-2014, 05:42 PM
It won't be corrected until all new Alaska flying goes to the 175, ala SkyWest. Seriously, scope needs to be PRIORITY 1.

ForeverJunior
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
It won't be corrected until all the senior guys who say stuff like "scope is not worth the paper it's written on" retire. Maybe things will change as the pilot group gets younger. I think pilots coming from the regionals have a better understanding of scope than the pilots who have been on the property for 25+ years.

At the end of the day, we have to be willing to fight for it. There won't be a quick fix and contract negotiations will drag out for a long time. Do we have the patience? Can we stomach long, drawn-out negotiations for big gains? Or, will we roll over and accept the very first TA presented to us?

Anyway, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. Back to hiring, interviews, applications, career fairs, etc.

CassinAK
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
There also needs to be a cultural change. Right now the senior pilots are much more concerned with merger protection and even more than that pension protection. Oh and the all mighty dollar... Which is why our top of scale is close to our peers but bottom of scale is not.

skypilot35
11-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks Gents.

ForeverJunior
11-12-2014, 06:41 PM
There also needs to be a cultural change. Right now the senior pilots are much more concerned with merger protection and even more than that pension protection. Oh and the all mighty dollar... Which is why our top of scale is close to our peers but bottom of scale is not.

Agreed! FO pay compared to CA pay is slightly less percentage-wise than it was before last year's contract.

Workin
11-12-2014, 07:42 PM
2004 FO Pay Scale/2014 FO Pay Scale

0-1 - $52.00 Currently: 53.00
1-2 - $91.00 Currently: 84.00
2-3 - $111.00 Currently: 100.00
3-4 - $117.00 Currently: 110.00
4-5 - $120.00 Currently: 117.00
5-6 - $124.00 Currently: 120.00

2loud
11-12-2014, 09:01 PM
67% of Alaskan Airways pilot group do not care for scope nor the person sitting next to him/her. To the new hires, welcome aboard and enjoy the honeymoon!

TeddyKGB
11-12-2014, 09:17 PM

None at all.

CassinAK
11-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by skypilot35

None at all.

We have 5 pages in our scope section and a LOA that protects all the 737s. So "None at all" is incorrect. Our scope is inadequate but we do have something.

SVA402
11-13-2014, 12:26 AM
We have 5 pages in our scope section and a LOA that protects all the 737s. So "None at all" is incorrect. Our scope is inadequate but we do have something.

I understand that scope protects you guys from having someone fly 737s that say Alaska on them. But does it protect you from the company parking -400s and -700s and replacing them 1 for 1 with E-190s operated by Skywest and furloughing pilots because of it? I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious what the scope language consists of.

Thrill
11-13-2014, 06:26 AM
No limit on outsourcing, alternate certificate creation, or any flying done by "Airgroup"

Singlecoil
11-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Incorrect. Incredibly, our scope clause only protects all the 737's that were on the property or had been ordered as of the date of signing the contract. Any 737's ordered after that date can be flown by anyone.

CassinAK
11-13-2014, 07:56 AM
The LOA covered all current 737s, ordered 737s and options. So unless the newest 737s are new orders and not converted options it does cover all the 737s we have now and will have through the max which comes when our contract becomes amendable.

I'm not defending our scope. It's basically non existent. They could start Alaska International next week if they wanted.

Back to hiring info.....

CassinAK
11-25-2014, 08:05 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-airlines-expands-partnership-skywest-130000308.html?.tsrc=applewf

Woohooo!!!!! Who needs scope!!!!!!

Pelican
11-25-2014, 08:46 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-airlines-expands-partnership-skywest-130000308.html?.tsrc=applewf

Big brother Delta has pages and pages of scope & every one of their latest route announcements out of Seattle were on Skywest or Pinnacle. I'm not saying we don't need it because we do. But it can't stop everything.

Notice they're buying 7 jets for 3 routes? Thinking there's more news coming.

CassinAK
11-25-2014, 09:01 AM
More news?? As in 787s flown for the AAG group under a new company called Alaska International? We need to maintain our single fleet type to retain our cost advantage so this option makes sense....

Our pilot group needs to wake up. This issue can hurt the top of the list just as much as the bottom.

SmoothLanderJ
11-25-2014, 09:25 AM

Dislike! :mad:

CGfalconHerc
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Big brother Delta has pages and pages of scope & every one of their latest route announcements out of Seattle were on Skywest or Pinnacle. I'm not saying we don't need it because we do. But it can't stop everything.

Notice they're buying 7 jets for 3 routes? Thinking there's more news coming.

The difference is that DL's 76-seat scope is almost maxed out. Skywest has 100's of bigger, heavier MRJ and E2 jets on firm order plus 200 options that they can't fly for anyone other than AS.

Not throwing any punches, and I know you're concerned about DL in SEA Pelican, ..but the real threat to AS is SKW!

CassinAK
11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
If you think those 100's of bigger heavier ERJs and MRJs are only being purchased for Alaska then you must think SkyWest is not smart. I'm sure they will come with a Max weight that perfectly meets Delta, American and United scope. They will just replace older 900s and 175s.

CGfalconHerc
11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Good point, Cassin..and I think I read in AW&S that the Japanese project manager for the MRJ plans to do exactly that and certify the MTOW to allow those jets to fit DL scope. Fortunately, he let the cat out of the bag and we'll be watching very closely regarding any potential pencil-whipping.

But even if they do lower the MTOW, they still count toward the total 223 76-seat hulls permitted to fly for DCI. Even if some of them replace older CRJ 900's, with our block-hour ratio's and hard caps, they won't replace mainline flyng that is already in place. In fact, as we grow in SEA, our RJ flying will have to be replaced by mainline because they've hit the wall and will run out of RJ's permitted to fly in DL colors.

We're talking about 100 E-175E2's with options for 100 more and 100 MRJ's with another 100 options. That's 400 big RJ's looking for a home. I'm pretty sure SKW thought the AA/DL/UA would get scope relief..so far they have been unsuccessful, and DL's scope has become more restrictive. I don't know about the specifics regarding AA/UA, but I think their scope clauses are pretty close to ours..so where are 400 overweight RJ's gonna go?

I'm afraid that mainline AS pilots don't have those same protections, and the path of least resistance will lead them up to AK.

Jmho..

CassinAK
11-25-2014, 02:21 PM
We are a 137 airplane company. I'm not sure how many RJs would make sense at AS. 100 certainly would not but I'm sure some of the fancy pants new RJs will end up flown for AS.

All I can do is vote no each time the contract lacks scope or leave the company... I'm not sure how you convince the 70-80 percent of our company that doesn't seem to care.

lpcunity
11-25-2014, 02:47 PM
When does the current contract become amendable?

Thrill
11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
31MAR2018

Thrill
11-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Job security and business development are both found in fostering such things as Code Share and Capacity Purchase arrangements which are designed to maintain and develop the mainline operation, enhance the Company's overall market presence; opening opportunity to expand the network, all with the goal of enhancing customer convenience and service.

Oh, ok. I feel much better now....

Bulloo7
12-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Are people still being invited for interviews?

Thrill
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Yes. Interviewing tomorrow in fact.

Bulloo7
12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
That's great good luck!!

CassinAK
12-02-2014, 10:35 PM
New bid out... 26 upgrades and 46 new hires. Word is 140ish new hires in 2015.

Mudhen200
12-03-2014, 07:06 AM
CassinAK,
Have you heard when the application window will open again? I'm guessing next spring (March?) but I can't find anybody who knows. I've got a good candidate chompin at the bit and I'd like to be able to tell him what to expect.
With this volume of upgrades and new hires (Finally!), I imagine the window will have to open again soon.

Astro
12-03-2014, 07:25 AM
New bid out... 26 upgrades and 46 new hires. Word is 140ish new hires in 2015.

140 by June and 180-200 by end of 2015 from BCP. Some of these are already poolies. All subject to change of course...

CassinAK
12-03-2014, 10:06 AM
CassinAK,
Have you heard when the application window will open again? I'm guessing next spring (March?) but I can't find anybody who knows. I've got a good candidate chompin at the bit and I'd like to be able to tell him what to expect.
With this volume of upgrades and new hires (Finally!), I imagine the window will have to open again soon.

I haven't heard anything about when the next window will open... I'm sure it will be relatively soon.

Thrill
12-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Yes. Interviewing tomorrow in fact.

To clarify...the Company is interviewing.

Bulloo7
12-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed!

SVA402
12-08-2014, 07:40 PM
APC profile says no 401K, but matching exists. What is the real story here? I guess my question is what retirement plan would a new-hire be under? Thanks!

Thrill
12-08-2014, 08:03 PM
All newhires receive a company paid 13.5% contribution. There is no company matching. You are vested immediately.

Braniff DC8
12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I know this has probably been beat to death but now that I am 737 type rated, I need to ask. Can you still upload your documents even if the pilot hiring window is NOT open? Would it be ok (wise) to go and try to meet a Chief Pilot say in LAX or ANC. I am going to try and attend the fair in Feb if possible but if I can't I would like to explore other options. I am also trying to locate an old friend. Thanks for any information.

BTW, I think Alaska has the coolest uniforms in the business now.:p

Packrat
12-12-2014, 12:41 PM
With AS, its ALWAYS wise to build the biggest network of current pilots you can, especially with the 2nd floor gang.

F15Cricket
12-12-2014, 01:23 PM
I know this has probably been beat to death but now that I am 737 type rated, I need to ask. Can you still upload your documents even if the pilot hiring window is NOT open? Would it be ok (wise) to go and try to meet a Chief Pilot say in LAX or ANC. I am going to try and attend the fair in Feb if possible but if I can't I would like to explore other options. I am also trying to locate an old friend. Thanks for any information.

BTW, I think Alaska has the coolest uniforms in the business now.:p

As a new hire, I can say absolutely go meet at least one chief pilot, go to Puyallup in Feb, Women in Aviation in Mar, etc.

I don't think you can upload unless you have an app on file. If you do, I am not sure if you can add info. However, be aware the 737 type rating may not make too much difference ... Direct question asked to a CP that I overheard a few months ago.

cesnacaptn
01-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone is interested in getting hired at Alaska. I thought that other thread was more for Alaskan pilots to talk about pressing issues within the company, such as, "when will they make us wear a hat again" or "when will the LAX base finally close?"

1ft intha grave
01-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Is there a out side blog the guys are using for more info?

cesnacaptn
01-10-2015, 11:20 AM
Is there a out side blog the guys are using for more info?

Outside blog? I think this is pretty much it. How much more or what kind of info are you looking for? Seems to me, the handful of Alaska pilots on this board are posting a lot of inside info. Only HR, CPs and interview board members know the top level stuff.

WIFlyer
01-13-2015, 06:17 AM
Cesna,

Any chances to meet with a CP or anyone else from Alaska in the near future? I have wanted to work there for some time, just trying to get my ducks in the proverbial row.

SVA402
01-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Cesna,

Any chances to meet with a CP or anyone else from Alaska in the near future? I have wanted to work there for some time, just trying to get my ducks in the proverbial row.

Absolutely. Alaska will be attending the NGPA conference soon and the next event following that will be the Pacific Northwest Aviation Tradeshow in Puyallup, WA on Feb 21, 22.

Learflyer
01-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Absolutely. Alaska will be attending the NGPA conference soon and the next event following that will be the Pacific Northwest Aviation Tradeshow in Puyallup, WA on Feb 21, 22.

Jiminy crickets. Us 40 something married Herero white males have no chance do we? Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Packrat
01-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Jiminy crickets. Us 40 something married Herero white males have no chance do we? Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Plenty of guys in your demographic have made contacts at Alaska at WIA and OBAP. Don't let the names of the organizations scare you off.

2loud
01-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I know of many "pale face males" who got interviews through these organizations.:D The last time I checked, a great majority in this profession are "pale face males" so I'd say that you have a pretty good shot.

ForeverJunior
01-13-2015, 09:58 AM
^^^^ What they said.

I'm a middle-aged white guy and I went to two WAI and two OBAP conference before I got the call. You just need to be persistent and get some face time with the right people.

Learflyer
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I know gents. Just a bizzaro world we're living in now. No more pilot-pilot handshakes or a day on the golf course to attain jobs anymore. :)

cesnacaptn
01-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I know gents. Just a bizzaro world we're living in now. No more pilot-pilot handshakes or a day on the golf course to attain jobs anymore. :)

It still happens. I walked my buddy's resume into my base chief's office. I asked if I could setup a meeting. He said, "don't worry about it." About a month later he got the call. It probably helps that I'm in one of the smaller bases.

Packrat
01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
You just need to be persistent and get some face time with the right people.

True. They really like persistence. Shows them you really want to be there.

OrionDriver
01-13-2015, 05:44 PM
It still happens. I walked my buddy's resume into my base chief's office. I asked if I could setup a meeting. He said, "don't worry about it." About a month later he got the call. It probably helps that I'm in one of the smaller bases.

Did your buddy have the online application submitted as well or was he offered the job based solely on his resume being hand walked to the CP?

SVA402
01-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Did your buddy have the online application submitted as well or was he offered the job based solely on his resume being hand walked to the CP?

I don't think they can legally move on with the process without your application in the system...

cesnacaptn
01-13-2015, 09:32 PM

My buddy put his resume in on the last window and then I went to work for him.

CA1900
01-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on attending the Northwest Aviation Conference in Puyallup next month in hopes of helping get my foot in the door with Alaska. I see there's a career seminar on the 20th, and the regular conference on Feb 21-22. Can anyone advise which of those days would be the best use of my time to meet someone at Alaska?

Thanks!

PressToTest
01-21-2015, 04:45 AM
Last year, I went on the first day and it was productive.

SVA402
01-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on attending the Northwest Aviation Conference in Puyallup next month in hopes of helping get my foot in the door with Alaska. I see there's a career seminar on the 20th, and the regular conference on Feb 21-22. Can anyone advise which of those days would be the best use of my time to meet someone at Alaska?

Thanks!

When he says first day, not the 20th. If you have the time go on one of the 2 regular days. Sunday could be quieter. Immediately get in line to talk to Alaska (wear a suit and tie), and then when you're done stay until after lunch and see if the reps are different people. If so, get back in line and meet more of them. Same could be done by going Saturday evening and again early Sunday morning. I will tell you the career conference on Friday night is slated to have the CP speak and it may be of great value to hear what he has to say. So on that note perhaps Friday night and Saturday morning is best. Not sure where you live so logistics can be tough but good luck, hope it helps you!

PressToTest
01-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Sorry for the brevity earlier, but the above is correct. I went the morning of the first day of the conference. I wanted to go on the career day, but the evil scheduling overlords did not cooperate, even with the animal sacrifices. I was there 20 min before opening, and by 9 am I had talked 2 of the reps there. I went to a few sessions, and dropped by again after lunch to speak to one more person. Went to the airport after and was home for a late dinner. When I say productive, I mean that I interviewed later and am currently waiting to start class.

EDIT: I did wear a suit and tie. 90%+ of the people there for AS did the same. Be prepared to answer some basic screening questions, such as "Why Alaska instead of XX?" and "What sets you apart from the other pilots here?"

CA1900
01-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Terrific, thanks guys!

Rsv4lyfe
01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
How many people went to Puyallup last year to speak with Alaska? Looks like a couple CPs will be meeting Friday, will those same guys be at the conference on Saturday and Sunday?

FL410
01-21-2015, 03:10 PM
There were a hundreds of people last year. Expect the same for this year.

Rsv4lyfe
01-28-2015, 04:32 PM
How's life on reserve?

Do you have to call to get released after a trip? How are the schedulers? Does long call go senior? How do they assign trips in open time? % of pilots on reserve by seat and base? Is it decent to be on reserve at Alaska vs. other places? (Rsv sucks everywhere)

Timwerni
01-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Anyone out there with Alaska know of anyone getting hired below the FW flight time mins? I'm military with 3000 hrs but 1300 of them are stinky helo hours...the other are mostly MEJ ~ 1200 MEJ with ~ 660 MEJ PIC....would I potentially get a look?

Thrill
01-28-2015, 06:03 PM
We have a bunch of twirly bird types here. You have to meet the min's though, or the system will boot your app.

Thrill
01-28-2015, 06:06 PM
How's life on reserve?

Do you have to call to get released after a trip? How are the schedulers? Does long call go senior? How do they assign trips in open time? % of pilots on reserve by seat and base? Is it decent to be on reserve at Alaska vs. other places? (Rsv sucks everywhere)

RSV isn't lasting as long as it used to, particularly outside of SEA.
No call required.
Schedulers are great for the most part, but we have a mix of some newbies and our "2%" Just like everyone else does
Living in base? RSV is no big deal. Some guys still bid it even 8 plus years on property.
Pilots on RSV?....not enough.

F15Cricket
01-29-2015, 10:42 AM
How's life on reserve?

To add to what Thrill wrote ... I finished ground school end of Sept, OE was first half of Oct, I was able to bid for a reserve line in Nov (got the reserve line I wanted, plus was able to do what we call "trade with self" to move some days off ... Ended up with 4 days off over Thanksgiving!).

I had a line in Dec, in Jan and now for Feb!

So, I can't answer much about reserve. :)

But, I did have a couple of trips from reserve that was a DeadHead back, so I called scheduling when I landed, got released, and immediately came back home rather than going to the hotel for 12 hours before flying back. (dead Head is considered duty, so you need crew rest. When I flew back earlier, I was actually flying in a space available category rather than getting a positive space Dead Head seat.)

My experience with the schedulers is they are nice, willing to work with you, professional and personable. However, I am a nice guy :D and nice to them on the phone.

Long call is something you cannot be assigned but you have to bid for it. I don't know how senior it goes, but one of my classmates in SEA could not get long call for her first couple of months. Another of my classmates that lives in SEA but was based up here in ANC got LC right away, and waited in SEA for the call for a trip. So, it seems to vary greatly based upon what base you are in. Btw, I am ANC based (and want to be, since I live here), so things here move more quickly than the other bases, except LAX maybe. I am already at about 75% on the ANC FO seniority!

Open time is available for pilots with a line to pick up or trade. Pilots on short call cannot pick up open time but they can preference trips (or preference that they generically want to fly, or even that they don't want to fly). This is done daily for the next day's reserve schedule. LC reserves can, I believe, pick up an open time trip but only if it matches their number of days left on reserve (I.e., pick up a 3 day trip if they are on LC reserve for the next 3 days). LC can be less desirable for some, though, because you are on call 24 hours of the day, whereas SC is a 14 hour block per day. On SC, then, you have some awareness that after a certain point in your zone, it is highly unlikely that you would be called. In Nov, I was on the 1730-0730 reserve shift, and based on our flight schedule, I knew it was unlikely for me to get called after midnight.

Also, you can set up your crew schedule on your iPhone calendar, and when I was on reserve, I noticed my trip added to my calendar about mid day. It gave me more awareness that I had a trip that night.

So, in summary, if you are on reserve in base, not too bad. If you are commuting to reserve, there are some things that can make it a little better. But, if you come to the great white north, you will likely only be on reserve for a month or two, or unless none of the lines tickle your fancy.

Packrat
01-29-2015, 11:17 AM
I had a line in Dec, in Jan and now for Feb!

So, I can't answer much about reserve. :)

Idle bragging, Cricket! :D

However, your point is valid. If you live in ANC or can stomach the commute, you'll get base seniority faster than anywhere else on the system.

Long call reserve would work well for commuters.

F15Cricket
01-29-2015, 11:36 AM
Idle bragging, Cricket! :D

However, your point is valid. If you live in ANC or can stomach the commute, you'll get base seniority faster than anywhere else on the system.

... And the best flying! :) This month has been southeast, an easy lower 48 trip to PHX, a HNL trip, and a couple of arctic turns--a great variety and fun flying! (Who else gets to hand-fly a 737 on a VFR leg?!

And for those who can't take ANC (you know, those folks who like damp, dreary winters [SEA and PDX], and huge cities with lots of traffic [SEA, PDX, LAX]), there is lots of movement, so being "forced" to ANC will probably only last a couple of months until you can get to the lower 48 base of your choice ... to sit reserve!

I chatted with a SEA FO who has been on property a year and still can't routinely hold an open flying line .... That's ok, leave ANC for me! :D

Klsytakesit
01-30-2015, 07:55 PM
If you are a green bean rookie like Cricket than you will imagine that you have won the lottery.....For everyone else with relevant experience, we are a 737 jet regional......same **** as you are used to with a different paint job

CassinAK
01-30-2015, 10:38 PM
If you are a green bean rookie like Cricket than you will imagine that you have won the lottery.....For everyone else with relevant experience, we are a 737 jet regional......same **** as you are used to with a different paint job

I wouldn't go that far. It's better than a regional, our work rules are similar to other legacies but our pay trails where it should be...

GVGUY
01-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Anyone out there with Alaska know of anyone getting hired below the FW flight time mins? I'm military with 3000 hrs but 1300 of them are stinky helo hours...the other are mostly MEJ ~ 1200 MEJ with ~ 660 MEJ PIC....would I potentially get a look?

They will generally always make exceptions for military. Miltary, is preferred vs prior 121 experience. I'd put your stuff in.

Timwerni
01-31-2015, 05:51 AM
Does Alaska open a window for apps? I can't seem to find the FO position on their career page? Thanks for the gouge earlier.

F15Cricket
01-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Does Alaska open a window for apps? I can't seem to find the FO position on their career page? Thanks for the gouge earlier.

Yes, last window was for about a week last Sept. Rumor is next window will be in the spring, so check the page often. Also, in the meantime, press ahead with going to the job fairs, WAI / OBAP, go meet chief pilots, etc. That way, if they like you, they can be primed to pull your name once it hits in the next app window.

CassinAK
02-04-2015, 02:29 PM
New System bid out today! 36 upgrades and it looks like 60 newhires.... 29 Seattle captains and 7 in Portland.

Rsv4lyfe
02-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Will the app window open for these new hires or are they taken from the pool of apps from the last window?

CassinAK
02-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Will the app window open for these new hires or are they taken from the pool of apps from the last window?

I'm guessing the window will open again soon. For now all the hiring is from the last window. The window has been opening every 6 months or so...

WillieF15
02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Cricket, I sent you a pm.

Reactivity
02-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Feel free to quit any time. I'll take your seat.

Klsytakesit
02-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Feel free to quit any time. I'll take your seat.Right!!I would prefer we hire pilots not cheerleaders.....As would most pilots at most airlines....We are tired of the BS...Thanks

Reactivity
02-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Right!!I would prefer we hire pilots not cheerleaders.....As would most pilots at most airlines....We are tired of the BS...Thanks

I'm just saying that nobody should spend their life slaving away at a job they hate. Life is too short for that.

Klsytakesit
02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm just saying that nobody should spend their life slaving away at a job they hate. Life is too short for that.
No slaving and no hating here.....Just doin' the job....same as the old job.....How long it takes for the shine to come off the apple will vary with experience but it will come off...

smorgan6
02-13-2015, 01:22 AM
NWA Confernce a week from now. Hoping it helps!

SVA402
02-13-2015, 05:34 AM
NWA Confernce a week from now. Hoping it helps!

Should definitely help, they have quite a presence there! Wear a suit and go 2 days if you can. If that doesn't work try to see if they have a shift change mid-day and if so, go back. Otherwise don't wait in line again.

kendall04
02-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Is it best to attend the career forum on Friday or will you still be able to speak with the recruiters on Saturday?

SVA402
02-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Is it best to attend the career forum on Friday or will you still be able to speak with the recruiters on Saturday?

Career forum would be a nice addition but Saturday and Sunday are the only days to give a resume to and speak directly with recruiters.

kendall04
02-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Career forum would be a nice addition but Saturday and Sunday are the only days to give a resume to and speak directly with recruiters.

Thanks for the information.

rickB
02-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Really? I spoke with the people that run the conference on the phone about this and they had told me Friday... Hope I didnt waste my one day off

SVA402
02-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Really? I spoke with the people that run the conference on the phone about this and they had told me Friday... Hope I didnt waste my one day off

I could be wrong. In the past that day was a career forum where they would have little panels of people like chief pilots answering questions for a room of people and talking about hiring etc. Perhaps the person you spoke with misunderstood because you can ask the panels questions during these forums but it's not a career fair portion. Then the weekend was the days the airlines would have booths set up and take/critique your resume, etc. I just looked through the schedule and it's a bit hard to tell from it but it appears to be the same way as the previous years. If you're really interested in Alaska, I would do everything you can to be there on Saturday or Sunday in case friday isn't a day you can talk with them.

ogilthorpe
02-14-2015, 10:21 AM
I went last year on Friday and gave out resumes and talked to everyone I needed to talk to. It'll be worth it.

SVA402
02-14-2015, 11:14 AM
I went last year on Friday and gave out resumes and talked to everyone I needed to talk to. It'll be worth it.

Ok glad to hear that worked out. Sounds like Friday should be fine then.

longhauler
02-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Never been to a job fair, what is the dress code?

SVA402
02-14-2015, 02:49 PM

For the PNW one, everyone in line for Alaska is usually wearing a suit.

AKpilot
02-14-2015, 03:23 PM
I just talked to someone interviewed and hired this week. Class starts in May. Good luck.

MiLtoMajor123
02-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Is this worth going to just on Sunday? Got wind of this last minute and seems like I need to do this and/or WIA in Dallas to possibly get some good networking for Alaska. Seems I can only fly out on Saturday due to prior commitment.

How do these conferences work (as this would be my first)? Just walk around and try to hand out my resume? Should I go for just Sunday or just go to Dallas next month for WIA?

SVA402
02-20-2015, 05:02 AM
Is this worth going to just on Sunday? Got wind of this last minute and seems like I need to do this and/or WIA in Dallas to possibly get some good networking for Alaska. Seems I can only fly out on Saturday due to prior commitment.

How do these conferences work (as this would be my first)? Just walk around and try to hand out my resume? Should I go for just Sunday or just go to Dallas next month for WIA?

If you can make it... Sunday would be better than nothing. Alaska values "face time" more than almost any other airline. The way the conference works is you show up (in a suit) and get in a line to talk to Alaska. Now this isn't truly a career fair like others that United and Spirit might be at, but a Pacific Northwest Aviation Tradeshow. So Alaska/Horizon will be the only ones with a booth there. However, they treat it the same and it's a great opportunity to show them you're willing to go the extra mile, especially if you don't live in Seattle. Then when you go to WAI conference you may meet some of the same people again. Big points with them. Also, I've found with these things that you don't need a whole application packet, just bring a folder with a few 1-page resumes. They don't really have time to look at anything else. Hope you can make it, good luck!

MiLtoMajor123
02-20-2015, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

What is the timeline for hiring? I know the app window opens only for about a week every 6 months or so. Rumor i'm hearing is sometime this spring. What about after you submit your app? What is the time frame from App to Interview? I'm still waiting to do Interview Prep as Emerald Coast doesn't have any west coast (non online) classes on their website. I figure I can do it post WIA conference.

So what do you do if you are there (NWAC) for multiple days? Get in the same Alaska line and talk to them again?

Firefly899
02-20-2015, 07:11 AM
So if you get ANC out of training, how hard is it to commute from SEA. My wife VERY much wants back to the PNW. Thanks.

Moonwolf
02-20-2015, 08:07 AM
For the PNW one, everyone in line for Alaska is usually wearing a suit.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think it's stupid to wear a suit to anything less than an interview. How about a blazer tie combo.

Chuck D
02-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think it's stupid to wear a suit to anything less than an interview. How about a blazer tie combo.

I'd go w/ mullet, good quality leather flip flops and a nice silk Hawaiian shirt. Show's you know what's up.

But seriously, airlines love the guy that really stands out in a crowd and takes a stand against convention. ;)

Let us know how it works out.

priorwhat
02-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Just dropping in, but for the WIA conference in Dallas you have to register for the conference and get a time slot to meet with anyone. There are no lines I called and asked and you will not be seen without a time slot.

SVA402
02-20-2015, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

What is the timeline for hiring? I know the app window opens only for about a week every 6 months or so. Rumor i'm hearing is sometime this spring. What about after you submit your app? What is the time frame from App to Interview? I'm still waiting to do Interview Prep as Emerald Coast doesn't have any west coast (non online) classes on their website. I figure I can do it post WIA conference.

So what do you do if you are there (NWAC) for multiple days? Get in the same Alaska line and talk to them again?

Nobody really knows but they will email the pilots about the app window and it will probably get posted here. As far as app to phone call, it depends on many factors. Most people have had apps in for years but a great applicant with good time who networks well and goes to these events could be called fairly soon. I would say lots of interview prep is good but no matter what else you do, if you don't go to the rainier prep you are hurting yourself. They are very much Alaska specific and some interview tactics and such that work at other airlines may not work here. Just schedule it for the day before an interview if you don't live in SEA. If you're at the Pacific Northwest conference for 2 days, feel it out. Walk by the booth and if it's different people get back in line. It's ok to get to the front and target someone you didn't speak with yesterday. As far as dress code, people are saying a suit is silly. Do what you wish but most people either had a suit or matching blazer/slacks with a conservative tie. Don't be the underdressed one. Feel free to PM if you have spacific questions about anything.

F15Cricket
02-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Nobody really knows but they will email the pilots about the app window and it will probably get posted here. As far as app to phone call, it depends on many factors. Most people have had apps in for years but a great applicant with good time who networks well and goes to these events could be called fairly soon. I would say lots of interview prep is good but no matter what else you do, if you don't go to the rainier prep you are hurting yourself. They are very much Alaska specific and some interview tactics and such that work at other airlines may not work here. Just schedule it for the day before an interview if you don't live in SEA. If you're at the Pacific Northwest conference for 2 days, feel it out. Walk by the booth and if it's different people get back in line. It's ok to get to the front and target someone you didn't speak with yesterday. As far as dress code, people are saying a suit is silly. Do what you wish but most people either had a suit or matching blazer/slacks with a conservative tie. Don't be the underdressed one. Feel free to PM if you have spacific questions about anything.

I used Lori Clark at Airline Pilot Interview Preparation (http://www.flytheline.com). However, if you use Rainier, I would go before the day before your interview ... Will allow you time to think over your aviation career for stories, practice telling them, modify at required, etc. Also waiting til the night before will not give you a good night's rest before your interview. I know one guy who prep'd locally the day before ... And did not make it past the day one interview.

Moonwolf
02-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Slight thread drift but can anyone check the loads for AS 17 ewr-sea, 2/21? Thanks

I won't pack my sandals then...

SVA402
02-20-2015, 09:58 AM
I used Lori Clark at Airline Pilot Interview Preparation (http://www.flytheline.com). However, if you use Rainier, I would go before the day before your interview ... Will allow you time to think over your aviation career for stories, practice telling them, modify at required, etc. Also waiting til the night before will not give you a good night's rest before your interview. I know one guy who prep'd locally the day before ... And did not make it past the day one interview.

I agree overall. He mentioned using emerald coast. I think that's perfect and you should prep as much as possible. You can't put a price on being prepared for an interview that will determine the rest of your career. I did a lot of general prep similar to that and then went to rainier the day before to "clean everything up" and it worked well for me. Everyone is different but I would rather someone go the day before than not at all if they live elsewhere and aren't going to go otherwise. The important point here is to prepare as best you can and don't put yourself in a position of not getting hired and wishing you had prepared better.

MiLtoMajor123
02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I won't pack my sandals then...

Maybe this will work for Hawaiian?

coryk
02-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Any Alaska guys know how many new airplanes this year and 2016 (including the 6 the ordered yesterday) AND the amount of airplanes they are returning this year and next?

I did some digging in old annual reports and Q-10 reports but the information was a bit dated.

Thanks!

Dakota Kid
02-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Having been to many job fairs, if you don't dress in a suit you really don't want the job that badly. Large majority dress in suits. If you don't you WILL stand out from the rest, possibly not in a positive way..........

Spoilers
02-20-2015, 02:06 PM

At least 400+ people in suits today at the career forum. Long wait, about 3 hrs.

Moonwolf
02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
At least 400+ people in suits today at the career forum. Long wait, about 3 hrs.

Pilot shortage?

TheFly
02-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Pilot shortage?

Clearly...:rolleyes:

ogilthorpe
02-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Any Alaska guys know how many new airplanes this year and 2016 (including the 6 the ordered yesterday) AND the amount of airplanes they are returning this year and next?

I did some digging in old annual reports and Q-10 reports but the information was a bit dated.

Thanks!
The old fleet plan (before yesterday's announcement) said 6 airplanes in 2015 and 4 in 2016 (this is from memory, but the numbers are close). In 2017 the max starts showing up. In total we have 79 firm orders and around 45 options. There are approximately 30 -400s to retire, and I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the -700s (I think there are 12) go away too.

Packrat
02-21-2015, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't get too excited about options.

Guess who the launch customer for the MD-90 was? That's right...AS. Not one airplane ever crossed the threshold.

As we used to say in the Navy..."Never plan on new airplanes until they're parked on the ramp AND they bring the maintenance logs inside."

MiLtoMajor123
02-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Just dropping in, but for the WIA conference in Dallas you have to register for the conference and get a time slot to meet with anyone. There are no lines I called and asked and you will not be seen without a time slot.

Is this for the Alaska booth too? Some reason this I thought this just applied to some other airlines.

MiLtoMajor123
02-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Got my 737 type not too long ago as AS and SWA are my top two (while I can be picky for now) thinking this would make me more competitive for both airlines. Reading back on the forum, it seems that some people are saying that having a 737 type is a bad thing for anyone trying to go anywhere but SWA. Basically because you got the type they assume that SWA is your #1 and therefore anyone else is chopped liver. Is there any truth to this or is this just forum gossip? :confused:

2loud
02-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Got my 737 type not too long ago as AS and SWA are my top two (while I can be picky for now) thinking this would make me more competitive for both airlines. Reading back on the forum, it seems that some people are saying that having a 737 type is a bad thing for anyone trying to go anywhere but SWA. Basically because you got the type they assume that SWA is your #1 and therefore anyone else is chopped liver. Is there any truth to this or is this just forum gossip? :confused:

This myth is no longer since SWA does not require a type rating to get hired.

cesnacaptn
02-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Everything written on these boards is forum gossip.

I would say that having a 737 type does not make you more competitive for Alaska. If anything, it gives the interviewer more questions to ask you.

For the most part, your interview with Alaska is:

"Why Alaska?"
"Why not someone else?"
"Would you be a good dude(tte) to fly a month with?"
"Are you a good employee?"

You will have to spend more time trying to justify the type and why you wouldn't use the type to go to SWA. I think that threat has decreased since our pay has, for the most part, caught up with SWA.

SVA402
02-23-2015, 11:42 AM

I was told by someone involved in hiring that it all depends on why you have it. If the government gave you money for flight training (GI Bill or unemployment grant) and you thought it would be good to get typed in a glass airplane to improve your resume and such that will make sense. But they've never asked for the type rating so if you don't have a good answer like this they will figure you got it for SWA. Alaska is big on being your #1 choice to work for. They are different from SWA in so many ways, from bases to operation to upgrade time, etc so you have to make it a good sell. I'm not saying you have less of a chance by any means, just be prepared to answer the question at job fairs and the interview. If well explained it could definitely help your chances.

MiLtoMajor123
02-23-2015, 12:51 PM
I mean from a single seat fighter guy's perspective, I thought the training was invaluable for the CRM aspects alone. Thanks for the info and I'll have my story straight.

F15Cricket
02-23-2015, 12:53 PM

Agree with the other folks' comments. To add, I heard it directly from one of the chief pilots last year that a 737 type would not help your chances with Alaska. Knowing this, plus being able to explain it like others have said, I don't think will it will hurt you either.

SVA402
02-23-2015, 01:11 PM
I mean from a single seat fighter guy's perspective, I thought the training was invaluable for the CRM aspects alone. Thanks for the info and I'll have my story straight.

Tell them that. Sounds like a smart move to me!

Dapunk
02-26-2015, 04:02 PM
F15Cricket, sent you a PM

MiLtoMajor123
03-05-2015, 06:54 AM
I don't know any Alaskan pilots. A friend of my Father was in the company years and years ago but I've only ever talked to him on the phone. He is, as am I, under the impression that letters of rec should be personal...as in unless you've flown with them or have known them for years then don't send one in.

What should I do for the application (once it opens) about letters of rec? I've read on this forum that people are hired without knowing a soul at AS. Does this happen?

ForeverJunior
03-05-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't know any Alaskan pilots. A friend of my Father was in the company years and years ago but I've only ever talked to him on the phone. He is, as am I, under the impression that letters of rec should be personal...as in unless you've flown with them or have known them for years then don't send one in.

What should I do for the application (once it opens) about letters of rec? I've read on this forum that people are hired without knowing a soul at AS. Does this happen?

I'm sure some one who has been hired recently can answer your LOR question. I myself am too removed from the hiring process.

My only advice here is to not refer to the airline as "Alaskan". That is a huge pet peeve around here. You don't want to give them a reason to discount your application.

Trivial, I know... but important.

cesnacaptn
03-05-2015, 07:34 AM

You answered your own questions about people being hired without internal recs. It does happen. I'm not sure how the application process works now, but since you don't have an internal rec, perhaps you could attach LORs from your supervisor or check pilot.

It is an uphill batter getting hired without internal recs. You have to become a regular at the job fairs and have qualifications that separate you from the average applicant.

OrionDriver
03-05-2015, 11:27 AM

I recently had a sit down with a CP (not THE CP) and he helped guide me through the application process. LORs from inside are valued greater than those from outside - but outside LORs are STILL important. LORs don't have to be just from pilots, in fact, he expressed interest in having a variety of folks who can speak to your overall person, not just you as a pilot. If you know an FA or pilot at another airline, or other aviation colleague, that's a good LOR. LORs from people who can speak to your customer service skills, how you handle stress and unhappy people, your volunteerism, how you're a trustworthy person, etc. Basically anything that can help paint a picture of who you are and why you're good for Alaska Airlines is a good LOR.

Now, all that being said, I'm far from being hired but the above straight up good gouge from a good source.

Good luck!

MiLtoMajor123
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. How long/short should a LOR be? Anywhere I can get an example?

OrionDriver
03-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. How long/short should a LOR be? Anywhere I can get an example?

One page, maybe two paragraphs.

PressToTest
03-05-2015, 10:40 PM
There used to be samples in the resources part of this page. I don't think they need to be anything unique to aviation. 1/2 to 2/3 of a page should do. As the person explain how they know you and for how long, then to pick one or two aspects to highlight and discuss thoroughly, so it doesn't just read like a laundry list of desirable attributes.

Good luck.

gooddeal
03-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Online application window to open March 10.

Expect an IT glitch or two...only paying customers get the best tech experience.

Good luck to all

Alaska Airlines Jobs (http://alaskaair.jobs)

MiLtoMajor123
03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Hiring window is open.

MiLtoMajor123
03-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Is the Application only one page long? Last question is if you've ever worked for Alaska or Horizon. The bottom of the page has next and previous tabs but i'm unable to click them. I just want to make sure I don't submit the App without everything completed (as I did on the last App window by accident).

XTweet
03-11-2015, 01:30 PM
I drove to the local library to complete my app on a MS Windows based PC and had few issues. When I tried on a MAC, it was ugly.

Flyer2000
03-11-2015, 03:17 PM
the application states it is best to use IE (Windows). I switched off my Mac to our Windows Computer as well. the only issue I saw was the format of my Resume would not remain intact. Other than that I had no issues with the entire app.

Seggy
03-11-2015, 07:24 PM
From today's ALPA FastRead...

ALASKA AIRLINES OPEN HOUSE REGISTRATION INFORMATION

On April 22, Alaska Airlines—working with Alaska's ALPA leadership and Membership Committee—will hold an open house at the Museum of Flight in Seattle for ALPA pilots interested in working for Alaska. During the open house, pilots will participate in informal, one-on-one meetings with Alaska Airlines' recruiting team. A limited number of pilots from the open house will then be invited to participate in formal interviews April 23–24.

Registration for the event will open next week. To be considered for one of the 125 slots available for April's open house, you must first apply to Alaska Airlines during its pilot application window, open now through March 18. Registration for the Alaska Airlines Open House then will be open March 19–25 to give all interested ALPA pilots a chance to submit resumes. Please note that this event is not first-come, first-served. All pilots who register during the open house registration window will be considered for one of the approximately 125 slots or for the open house wait list.

Questions about this event? Contact [email protected]

OrionDriver
03-11-2015, 07:30 PM
From today's ALPA FastRead...

Now that'd be cool to attend! But...I'm not an ALPA member and not currently a commercial pilot (military). Next time!

BYOB
03-11-2015, 08:45 PM
the application states it is best to use IE (Windows). I switched off my Mac to our Windows Computer as well. the only issue I saw was the format of my Resume would not remain intact. Other than that I had no issues with the entire app.

I had a similar experience. I used a work computer (funny, right?!) to complete the AS application. My only concern was my copy and paste of my resume. The formatting was all over the place. It look like a baboon had typed up my resume. I tried several times to make it look correct but nothing worked. I finally left it as is and "hope" that it formats properly when they download the file.

Other than this small issue, it was pretty painless. Wish me luck!

CassinAK
03-11-2015, 08:54 PM
The messed up resume thing happens to everyone. Happened to me and somehow I was hired.

DisbandtheRLA
03-12-2015, 07:26 AM
I filled it out on my Mac during the last window, and had the messed up resume. I also did not include a cover letter. They still hired me.

SVA402
03-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Yes they (and other airlines that use the copy and paste resume format) are aware of the display issues. Don't waste any effort trying to format it, just copy and paste and move on.

KNOT on CALL
03-12-2015, 09:43 AM
I decided to create a "simple text format" resume to copy and paste. No fancy formatting, just pertinent info seperated by <enter> key, all left side aligned. I made the resume in notepad and just copy/pasted it into the resume section. It looked the same as it did in notepad. I hope it works. Would have loved to upload a .pdf of my resume. I've spent a lot of time making it look pretty. Oh well, save it for the career fairs I guess... Good luck everybody!

Flyer2000
03-12-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a few Letters of Recommendation from some AAG pilots, but did not see anywhere to upload those. did anyone else see where these can be submitted?

WindChk
03-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Just applied using Google Chrome. No issues during the application process. I also went plain text when pasting the resume. No issues either.

dmeg13021
03-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Anybody else get an e-mail saying to re-apply before March 18?

BYOB
03-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Not me.

Great avatar, BTW. I was at that airshow. Crazy what I saw.....

wiz5422
03-12-2015, 03:28 PM

I also got that email today. I looked at the application # and it was the same number as the application I just filled out yesterday.

KNOT on CALL
03-12-2015, 05:10 PM
They probably specifically waited a day to send out that email so their system didn't get rushed the moment the window opened. I got it too, about 18 hrs after I applied.

Reactivity
03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
I have a few Letters of Recommendation from some AAG pilots, but did not see anywhere to upload those. did anyone else see where these can be submitted?

The email I got today regarding reapplying said, "Please note, we recognize there will not be an option to upload attachments during this process. Any letters of reference can be presented in person, should you be contacted for an interview."

So there you go.

OrionDriver
03-13-2015, 06:06 AM
The email I got today regarding reapplying said, "Please note, we recognize there will not be an option to upload attachments during this process. Any letters of reference can be presented in person, should you be contacted for an interview."

So there you go.

Dang - I was kinda hoping those letters would get me the interview!