Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

View Full Version : Alaska Air Hiring

eskimopilot
10-22-2013, 10:44 AM
What's the scoop? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm still holding my breath.

SVA402
10-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Don't hold you breath! Haha. Haven't heard a word lately...

Thrill
10-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Still filling classes from the pool. Hopefully another bid in the near term, to drain the pool and kickstart another interview round.

gooddeal
10-22-2013, 02:39 PM

~20 left in hiring pool, next class in November with the possibility of putting the remainder of the pool in training before Christmas.

Interviews in 2014 for in excess of 30 pilots, final 2014 number to be determined by fleet size and retirements.

AKpilot
10-26-2013, 03:27 PM

On Oct 29. 4 males 2 females, started class. From USAF, Skywest, Horizon and Allegiant. + 3 returning from LOA. AS seems to hire a good mix of folks. Slow hiring should continue. I would not expect more than 50-80 next year. And that would be a lot.

AS is small, fiscally conservative. Hiring is slow, growth is slow. They just posted the best quarterly earnings ever in the history of the company. Upgrades are about 12 years. We have a fairly young pilot group. Not a lot of retirements. If you want to work here living in the west at an online station would be best. In a base even better. Schedules for commuting are not that great.

I was at several airlines in the 80's, living in the east and was glad to be hired here. I was unemployed and sleeping in my car. There were times I thought about leaving but glad I didn't. Overall it's a pretty good place to work. But If I lived east of DEN and did not want to move.... Other airlines are starting to hire and you would probably be happier somewhere else. Commuting sucks. I know I do it.

IMO in the next 5 years AS will probably be bought by someone bigger (DL would be my first choice) or will buy someone else.

They are very picky right now on who they hire because they can be. Lots of super qualified people. but it should loosen up in the next year or so.

Good luck.

eskimopilot
11-01-2013, 11:45 PM
I was at several airlines in the 80's, living in the east and was glad to be hired here. I was unemployed and sleeping in my car. There were times I thought about leaving but glad I didn't. Overall it's a pretty good place to work. But If I lived east of DEN and did not want to move.... Other airlines are starting to hire and you would probably be happier somewhere else. Commuting sucks. I know I do it.

Good luck.

Thanks man. I live in ANC and have no desire to migrate to the states. ANC always seems to be an over-saturated place when it comes to pilots.

AKpilot
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Just heard from a fairly reliable source… Hiring window will open around January- February. Conservative hiring estimates about 60 in 2014 with 60 upgrades.
Cheers

gooddeal
11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
IMO in the next 5 years AS will probably be bought by someone bigger (DL would be my first choice) or will buy someone else.

Any carrier that has the balance sheet to buy AS will have the seniority to eventually displace a large percentage of AS employees...it will be back to sleeping in cars for many.

New class of 6 starts next week. Position bid later this month will determine when the remainder of the pool starts training. Still a lot of optimism to get one or two December classes.

gooddeal
11-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Anyone who has an active application should ensure it is current.

"Reliable" source said resumes are currently being reviewed for a near term interview...maybe before end of year. Number to interview was not disclosed.

--Good Luck!

roofl
11-15-2013, 08:17 PM
How? From what I know, once you submit your app, there is no more chance to edit it.

Crazy Canuck
11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Just throwing this out here...but one day (a few years down the road...) I'd really like to be SEA based...probably to hang my hat. In the long run, base (particularly if it's PNW) is probably equally, if not more, important to me as equipment and upgrade times, especially since I'm young. Obviously AK probably gives me the best chance for this.

Any other airlines that have SEA bases? Also, anyone from AK willing to PM me to answer a couple of questions?

Cheers :)

lear 31 pilot
11-15-2013, 09:12 PM
How? From what I know, once you submit your app, there is no more chance to edit it.

I can't figure out anyway to add another résumé either.

gooddeal
11-17-2013, 01:37 PM

Actually, I do not know either how the program works. I guess the takeaway is the powers that be were actively looking at candidates for interviews last week.

New hire class of 6 begins Monday (Nov 18)...still a few in the pool to place.

Spudhauler
11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Crazy Canuck, Delta has a pilot base in Seattle as well.

mike734
11-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit from our MEC

RETIREMENTS
<<At last count, an additional 25 pilots have submitted paperwork to retire by the end of November, with only a third of those being at or close to the mandatory retirement age. This brings the total for the year to 59. The Company previously estimated only 36 pilots were going to retire based on their survey earlier in the year.>>

GearBoy
11-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Boys and girls, can you say

BOND RATES!

hooveb
11-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Anyone who has an active application should ensure it is current.

"Reliable" source said resumes are currently being reviewed for a near term interview...maybe before end of year. Number to interview was not disclosed.

--Good Luck!
Any suggestions on the resume format for the AS app? If it is anything like the Horizon window, they have you put in a text version in a drop box on their career page. I have converted my current resume to simple text with no formatting but honestly it doesn't look pretty. Any help would be appreciated.

Soon to be transitioning military pilot.

jugheadf15
11-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Hooveb

Yes, You will just take all the text from your "pretty" resume and paste it into the online application process. Don't worry that it doesn't look "pretty," AS is aware of what they want and need. Good Luck

ghilis101
11-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Crazy Canuck, Delta has a pilot base in Seattle as well.

How many years before you can actually get SEA at Delta? Over 10?

SVA402
11-28-2013, 09:19 AM
How many years before you can actually get SEA at Delta? Over 10?

Everyone always asks these questions and the answer is always the same. Between 1 and 10 years haha. Shouldn't be that long but it's definitely senior

hooveb
12-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Hooveb

Yes, You will just take all the text from your "pretty" resume and paste it into the online application process. Don't worry that it doesn't look "pretty," AS is aware of what they want and need. Good Luck
Jugheadf15,

Thanks, that is what I figured but we spend so much time pimping a "pretty" resume it seems odd. Thanks again.

hercpilot185
12-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Got an email from Alaska today asking me to re-apply to an F/O job listing that will be available "soon." Anyone else get the email?

pipercub
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM
I heard that it will be open 12-16 tell 12-29

Thrill
12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Pilot Application Window
We are opening our pilot application window from 16 – 29 December.
We are opening our pilot application window from 16 29 December. All previous applications in the system are deleted. If you know pilots that are interested in applying or reapplying please let them know. We are looking for strong candidates that will be a good fit at Alaska Airlines. Please feel free to provide them with the information below to help them successfully submit their application.

Internet Explorer 8 or above, running on Windows, is the browser that is strongly recommended to successfully submit an application. If another browser is used, the application may not come through successfully

A few helpful tips when applying -

· Before applying, we recommend that browsing history including temporary Internet files are cleared and pop-up blockers disabled.

· Gather all paperwork, including work history (we require 10 years of work history to be added to the application), resume etc. - before applying for the position.

· Once in the application, please use the links provided to return to the previous page if required. The back button is not compatible with the system.

Thrill
12-13-2013, 03:10 PM
For 2013, we hired 56 new pilots and upgraded 40 FOs to the left seat. While this is
very preliminary planning and is always subject to change at a moment’s notice, 2014 should provide room for ~20% more new hires (66) and ~75% more upgrades (70) versus 2013.

Aspilot
12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Rumor is 100. Good luck everyone!

Hrkdrivr
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Boys and girls, can you say

BOND RATES!

What does this mean?

Packrat
12-14-2013, 10:41 AM
It means the A plan lump sum payout is determined by the bond rates. If the bond rate goes up, the lump sum payout goes down. An AS buddy of mine who just retired told me that if he had waited until after January 1 he would have lost more than $80K out of his lump sum.

Its a powerful incentive to take the money and run.

Hrkdrivr
12-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks...noob here...

WARich
12-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Looks like the Alaska window is open for business.

benbbread
12-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Any idea what base is the most likely to get for new guys?

workingforfree
12-16-2013, 12:07 PM
How much did the pay scale change with the latest contract? Anything to year one?

Packrat
12-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Any idea what base is the most likely to get for new guys?

According to my AS buds, most go to ANC, but some have gotten LAX right out of the box. They say you have to wait a couple bids to get to SEA, though PDX is a possibility.

caterpillar
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
According to my AS buds, most go to ANC, but some have gotten LAX right out of the box. They say you have to wait a couple bids to get to SEA, though PDX is a possibility.

Actually, I got SEA in my first bid. No one has made it into PDX for a while. One can get LAX but most do go to ANC. Things are always changing of course!

Z_Pilot
12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
There's about a 20/80 split in each class of LAX vs. ANC base. Getting your preferred base is subject to timing: If hired during a base position bid, there is a chance you can get to SEA right away. Worst case scenario: plan on ANC base for 12-18 months.

ArcticDog
12-16-2013, 09:54 PM
There's about a 20/80 split in each class of LAX vs. ANC base. Getting your preferred base is subject to timing: If hired during a base position bid, there is a chance you can get to SEA right away. Worst case scenario: plan on ANC base for 12-18 months.

Worst case scenario plan for DTW or JFK! :eek:

AF2Navy
12-16-2013, 10:03 PM
worse yet, re-apply next round!

Thrill
12-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Latest picture shows newhire vacancies in LAX, SEA and ANC. PDX is senior and looks to remain that way.

The long tours in ANC seems to be disappearing. The company actually hired some folks from there who want to be there...go figure.

The last couple bids have had vacancies in all domiciles BUT PDX.

1st year pay right now is:

$52.95

as of 01APR2014, it will be:

$53.74

Reserve guarantee of 79 hrs/month and perdiem $2.15/hr.

eskimopilot
12-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Is not using IE 8 a deal breaker? Since I don't own a PC (Mac user) I started the process on Chrome then intended on submitting from IE at work but hit submit button instead of save. Am I screwed? I got an email from AS saying it was submitted but there was no content in email. Only the subject line saying application was submitted. Thoughts?

shfo
12-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Is not using IE 8 a deal breaker? Since I don't own a PC (Mac user) I started the process on Chrome then intended on submitting from IE at work but hit submit button instead of save. Am I screwed? I got an email from AS saying it was submitted but there was no content in email. Only the subject line saying application was submitted. Thoughts?

You are good. That's all I got using IE.

Spoilers
12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
System won't let me upload any attachments, tried IE and Firefox.

Also, besides uploading recommendation letters, is there a place for current pilots to email or submit recs?

SVA402
12-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Also, besides uploading recommendation letters, is there a place for current pilots to email or submit recs?

Where did you try to do it on the app? The page you use is "my career tools". You would then upload the letter from a pilot yourself there, along with cover letter, etc.

Kenny Powers
12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I have no dog in this fight but curious about one of their hiring requirements....

"20/20 corrected in each eye"

Say one has a first class medical with no restrictions, however has a SODA for having best corrected distant vision in one eye at 20/25. The near vision in that eye is 20/20 and the other eye's near and distant vision are both 20/20.

If they otherwise meet the requirements, is that a no-go? How can they "legally" get away with this when the FAA says all you need is a first class medical. I thought most of the majors were done with the astronaut type physicals anyway?

Again, no dog in this fight, but just curious how this would play out....

Herc67
12-18-2013, 01:45 AM
How does Alaska or any other airline check with your "employer" if you are military? Do they ask for your fitness reports, Form 8's, etc? Do they just start calling the Squadron, Ops Group, or Wing Commander until they get a hold of someone and say "we are such and such.....what do you think of this person?" Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering how that process works, especially since there is a high turnover rate in a Squadron.

hoodabundy
12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
I have been trying to upload letters of rec and its not working. I recall this happening during the last window but cant remember how I got them to work.

Packrat
12-18-2013, 07:23 AM
I have no dog in this fight but curious about one of their hiring requirements....

Say one has a first class medical with no restrictions, however has a SODA for having best corrected distant vision in one eye at 20/25. The near vision in that eye is 20/20 and the other eye's near and distant vision are both 20/20.

If they otherwise meet the requirements, is that a no-go? How can they "legally" get away with this when the FAA says all you need is a first class medical. I thought most of the majors were done with the astronaut type physicals anyway?

Its just another eliminator. When you have 3000-5000 apps for 66 positions you add requirements that cull the herd. I'm not saying its fair or that you may eliminate a superior aviator. But that's the way the game is played in HR departments.

One of my AS buds told me the CP has 300+ apps on his desk with in house recs or sons/daughters of active pilots. Those will get the first look.

How does Alaska or any other airline check with your "employer" if you are military? Do they ask for your fitness reports, Form 8's, etc? Do they just start calling the Squadron, Ops Group, or Wing Commander until they get a hold of someone and say "we are such and such.....what do you think of this person?" Not trying to be antagonistic, just wondering how that process works, especially since there is a high turnover rate in a Squadron.

I've never heard of any airline calling squadrons. Military flight training and experience are a known factor with the airlines. They know the standardization is consistent. With civilian trained and experienced pilots you just don't know the level of training.

You can pretty much buy any license or type rating you want if you shop around.

Spoilers
12-18-2013, 11:10 AM
I have been trying to upload letters of rec and its not working. I recall this happening during the last window but cant remember how I got them to work.

I have the exact same problem like I have mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a rec letter from an AS pilot, but cannot upload anything. Tried different browsers, too.

gooddeal
12-18-2013, 05:55 PM

A third party firm will be used to conduct a background check...pretty standard at most carriers. One of the tasks will be to verify employment...which will not likely result in anything but just that. Just use a phone number where there would be little chance in the person who answers the phone didn't know you were ever assigned there. Don't let your chance of being hired at a carrier be lost because some third party didn't get to talk with the right person. Your letters of recommendation would most likely be the source of character references.

Good Luck!

ArcticDog
12-18-2013, 08:30 PM

I'm guessing here, but as far as I know they still do not do any sort of medical exam. As long as you can hold a valid first class medical, I would say you are good.

biigD
12-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I have the exact same problem like I have mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a rec letter from an AS pilot, but cannot upload anything. Tried different browsers, too.

I have the same problem. Fortunately the application included my earlier recs and cover letter, but I can't seem to add any additional ones. I tried Safari and Firefox on the Mac, and Explorer and Firefox on the PC. Once I click the 'upload' button after selecting the pdf file, it just hangs up.

That said, I don't have an internal, so there's no way I'll get a call regardless.

Herc67
12-19-2013, 12:19 AM
A third party firm will be used to conduct a background check...pretty standard at most carriers. One of the tasks will be to verify employment...which will not likely result in anything but just that. Just use a phone number where there would be little chance in the person who answers the phone didn't know you were ever assigned there. Don't let your chance of being hired at a carrier be lost because some third party didn't get to talk with the right person. Your letters of recommendation would most likely be the source of character references.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply.

MusicMan
12-19-2013, 02:29 PM
I reapplied today but when I was double checking my prevous entries under college education, I got a message saying "graduate indicator should be set to on" but I saw no such indicator, even after looking with multiple browsers. Anyone else have this problem?

SVA402
12-19-2013, 02:30 PM
I reapplied today but when I was double checking my prevous entries under college education, I got a message saying "graduate indicator should be set to on" but I saw no such indicator, even after looking with multiple browsers. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes this is an IT glitch. Delete the entry and re-enter it like it's a new one and you won't have the problem.

e6bpilot
12-19-2013, 05:20 PM
It is not the easiest system to navigate, and once you hit submit, you are locked in. Funny thing is, my ex-neighbor (I used to live in SEA) is an IT manager in charge of their website. I think I am going to call him and give him some heat about it.

I had to make a correction to my resume' and add an availability date since there wasn't a spot for one on their website. I just emailed their HR folks and they got right back to me. The email that I got back was very friendly, personal, and conversational, not an automatic response or anything like that. It just reaffirmed my decision to apply and hope for an interview. I would definitely rather fly with Alaska then a few of their higher paid competitors.

Packrat
12-19-2013, 06:22 PM
If you're an IT guy who lives in SEA and works for Alaska, you probably aren't the pick of the litter.

e6bpilot
12-19-2013, 06:49 PM
If you're an IT guy who lives in SEA and works for Alaska, you probably aren't the pick of the litter.

He left Microsoft to work for them. He is doing ok.

MusicMan
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Yes this is an IT glitch. Delete the entry and re-enter it like it's a new one and you won't have the problem.

Unfortunately I already hit submit, not realizing you could not alter it later. I showed in at least 3 other places I am a college graduate so hopefully it will not be an issue.

e6bpilot
12-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately I already hit submit, not realizing you could not alter it later. I showed in at least 3 other places I am a college graduate so hopefully it will not be an issue.

Email them at [email protected] They will ensure it is fixed.

Std Deviation
12-20-2013, 08:27 AM

I remember a "check the box" that said something about a bachelor degree...(yes/no). I had the same IT issue.

yesbuddhaluvsme
12-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Does anyone know if C-17 Time counts as "High performance" per their 1200 requirement?

e6bpilot
12-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know if C-17 Time counts as "High performance" per their 1200 requirement?

Who knows...high performance is technically any aircraft above 250 hp. I would say you could email them and ask.

MikeF16
12-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Who knows...high performance is technically any aircraft above 250 hp. I would say you could email them and ask.

Pretty sure it is their intent to lower the hours requirement for fighter pilots but as long as you feel like you can justify your answer in an interview have a nut. If I flew heavies I wouldn't consider my aircraft high performance just to make it under the wire of a reduced hours requirement. Makes me wonder if they'd consider the pathetically underpowered T-37 and T-38 "high performance" :).

seattlepilot
12-21-2013, 02:29 AM
threw my name in the hat. not expecting a phone call though :)

e6bpilot
12-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Pretty sure it is their intent to lower the hours requirement for fighter pilots but as long as you feel like you can justify your answer in an interview have a nut. If I flew heavies I wouldn't consider my aircraft high performance just to make it under the wire of a reduced hours requirement. Makes me wonder if they'd consider the pathetically underpowered T-37 and T-38 "high performance" :).

I am over 3,000 either way, so it doesn't matter to me. I would agree, that sounds like the intent of the 1,200 question. Single seat guys tend to get less hours due to shorter legs. I don't know that a 1,200 fighter guy equals a 3,000 heavy guy in experience level (2.5 to 3 flying tours) though, but I am not the one doing the hiring.
I agree, though, where do you draw the line? T-37? T-38? T-34 (550HP, but waaaaaay underpowered), T-6?

There are a lot of UPT and Navy VT guys that have over 1,200 in model and less than 3,000 total.

Somerset78
12-21-2013, 06:21 AM
What's up with the nicotine question? No smoking at Alaska? Even the gum, haha. And going back 2 years no less, wow. Not that I'm a smoker, just found it curious.

e6bpilot
12-21-2013, 06:29 AM
I found that curious too. Maybe someone from Alaska can weigh in...
Insurance premiums?
Company culture?

It sure eliminates a lot of qualified candidates.

Packrat
12-21-2013, 07:31 AM
What's up with the nicotine question? No smoking at Alaska? Even the gum, haha. And going back 2 years no less, wow. Not that I'm a smoker, just found it curious.

Its been that way for at least 25 years. The curious thing is once you get hired, they don't care if you smoke. Go figure.

P.S. They test for nicotine on your pre-hire drug test.

Mudhen200
12-21-2013, 09:37 AM
On my interview day - all of us in suits and ties, sitting together in a large room, filling out the paperwork. A HR lady is walking around us like an old school nun looking over our shoulders as we all write our "tell us about yourself" stories. A military guy raises his hand and asks about the smoking / nicotine question. He obviously had not studied the company and had no idea. He tells the HR lady that he does not smoke, but that he did have a cigar at a friends wedding about 6 weeks ago - and was that OK? She says to him, it's a yes or no question - have you smoked in the last two years. He says, well... I guess I have and marks his paper as such.
We all turn our paperwork in and are giving our instructions on where to go and what to do for the next phase - except Mr. Knucklehead, who was thanked for his time and sent out the door. True story...

WARich
12-21-2013, 09:51 AM
On my interview day - all of us in suits and ties, sitting together in a large room, filling out the paperwork. A HR lady is walking around us like an old school nun looking over our shoulders as we all write our "tell us about yourself" stories. A military guy raises his hand and asks about the smoking / nicotine question. He obviously had not studied the company and had no idea. He tells the HR lady that he does not smoke, but that he did have a cigar at a friends wedding about 6 weeks ago - and was that OK? She says to him, it's a yes or no question - have you smoked in the last two years. He says, well... I guess I have and marks his paper as such.
We all turn our paperwork in and are giving our instructions on where to go and what to do for the next phase - except Mr. Knucklehead, who was thanked for his time and sent out the door. True story...

I don't think I know one mil type that hasn't smoked a cigar in the last 2 yrs. Geesh....... Of course except for myself.....:D

Packrat
12-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Unlike pot which can be detected in urine for a month, nicotine is gone in 4-5 days. If you haven't smoked in a couple weeks, you're probably ok.

Don't be a Knucklehead.

AtlCSIP
12-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Actually, it's anything above 200 hp, but the app specifically stated turbine, multi engine, high performance, IIRC. I would think that anything as large as a king air or larger would suffice.

shfo
12-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Actually, it's anything above 200 hp, but the app specifically stated turbine, multi engine, high performance, IIRC. I would think that anything as large as a king air or larger would suffice.

It says large (Part I) which is an a/c over 41,000 MGTOW.

SVA402
12-21-2013, 04:42 PM
It says large (Part I) which is an a/c over 41,000 MGTOW.

It lists that as an option. Technically the way they listed it with commas means any of each of the options listed. However, I'm not sure that they intended that...

yesbuddhaluvsme
12-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I kind of figured they were talking about Fighters, but since it was not defined, I submitted an app anyway... I'm happy to play dumb if that's what they come back with... I'm betting most other cargo carriers haven't seen 40 deg nose up on departure, or -20,000 VVI on descent... if they want some justification.

bgmann
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM

I also got a blank sheet email with just a subject notation that the app was received. I had the hardest time getting files to attach properly. Tried a PC and Mac. And IE safari mozilla and chrome.

hooveb
12-22-2013, 09:00 AM

System doesn't like PDF, go with word 2003 a .doc not .docx Worked for me.

Good luck.

gearcrankr
12-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Any Alaska job fairs coming up? Hopefully a recent new hire can shed some light on the process.

Z_Pilot
12-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Any Alaska job fairs coming up? Hopefully a recent new hire can shed some light on the process.

I think they'll be at the Northwest Aviation Conference & Trade show in Puyallup...but...not confirmed.

gearcrankr
12-24-2013, 05:12 AM
I think they'll be at the Northwest Aviation Conference & Trade show in Puyallup...but...not confirmed.

Do you know if they venture beyond the PNW? Puyallup is a little tough in getting to for a lot of people. Thanks for the response.

Merry Christmas

WARich
12-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Do you know if they venture beyond the PNW? Puyallup is a little tough in getting to for a lot of people. Thanks for the response.

Merry Christmas

They are on the list for the WIA conference.

Packrat
12-24-2013, 06:09 AM
They always do WIA and OBAP.

SVA402
12-24-2013, 08:01 AM

Merry Christmas

It is but they highly value it because they are looking for local folks...

Mox Nix
12-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Is the application window open until Dec 29 or Dec 24? I've seen a few references which say Dec 29, but the posting on their Careers page says to apply on or before Dec 24.

walt heisenberg
12-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Is the application window open until Dec 29 or Dec 24? I've seen a few references which say Dec 29, but the posting on their Careers page says to apply on or before Dec 24.

Well I finished my application with a killer cover letter tonight and it did not take it, saying job posting no longer available. I am bummed about it.

walt heisenberg
12-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Well I finished my application with a killer cover letter at 11,43pm EST and it did not take it, saying job posting no longer available. I am bummed about it.

Ufff, I have tried it again and again and on second try it went through. I am so happy :)
Merry Christmas

redthread
12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Once the first (only?) page is ready, if you select "submit", do you go on to another page for more info or to attach docs or are you done? I feel like I'm missing something and am reticent to hit select.

skid
12-25-2013, 09:14 PM
App window is still open. The listing says it was posted on the 25th. Maybe they closed it on the 24th and opened a new one on the 25th due to some strange limitation.

AKfreighter
12-26-2013, 02:16 PM
App window is still open. The listing says it was posted on the 25th. Maybe they closed it on the 24th and opened a new one on the 25th due to some strange limitation.

That's interesting. The previous app window had a job posting date of the 20th, I never checked on the first one that opened on the 16th but I know of someone who was applying at the end of last week who said the FO job was gone and was disappointed (momentarily).

Maybe this is like a US Air thing, where you are applying to the same job but different job #s as they delete and add new postings. I hope there isn't preference given for getting in first!

redthread
12-26-2013, 05:24 PM
OK, I submitted and it seems like all is well except one day has gone by with no "thank you" e-mail. How long did it take for some of you to receive the blank e-mail?

Mox Nix
12-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Once the first (only?) page is ready, if you select "submit", do you go on to another page for more info or to attach docs or are you done? I feel like I'm missing something and am reticent to hit select.

From the application page, make sure it's saved, then click "previous page" - that should take you to your "career tools" page where you can attach documents like a cover letter or letter of recommendation. You can do all that, then go back to the application page to "submit".

But I don't think the order matters - I submitted my application, then the next day I was still able to upload a letter of recommendation I was waiting on from a buddy.

Good Luck!

Mox Nix
12-26-2013, 05:34 PM
OK, I submitted and it seems like all is well except one day has gone by with no "thank you" e-mail. How long did it take for some of you to receive the blank e-mail?

I got an email acknowledgement almost right away. Titled "Your online application has been submitted". Nothing in the body.

AKfreighter
12-26-2013, 07:30 PM
my mistake

SinglePilot135
12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
What a pleasant application. Less than an hour and all done. Used the latest IE in Windows 8 and no issues.

rickB
12-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Having been on the road and gone the last two weeks I just now sat down to do the application. Applied last year no problems but now can't seem to get anything done at all. Unable to upload attachments for new cover letter and recommendations however the ones from last year are there and even if I delete and resubmit they will not upload.

On to the application I receive this message every time I try to save or submit:

Data being added conflicts with existing data. (18,2)

When adding a new item to the database, the system found a conflicting item already exists.

This problem can happen if another user has entered similar information at the same time as you. Note the changes you have made, cancel the page, then retry your changes.

If the problem persists, it may be because of an application or other programming error and should be reported to technical support staff.

This error occurs when the keys on the record being inserted match a record that is already in the database. The application must ensure that each inserted record has unique keys.

No idea what to do other than email their IT department! I did try deleting everything that had been saved since my last application and re-entering everything as well. Any tips greatly appreciated

Hopefully they have a quick response as the application is closing soon. :(

FireFlyChi
12-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Filled out Alaska app 3 days ago and got this today:

Thank you for expressing interest in the position of First Officer (23522). Unfortunately, you have not been selected to continue on in the selection process. This is not a reflection on the quality of your credentials; but rather, it reflects the extremely high level of competition for this particular job. You may access information about other job opportunities at https://careers.alaskaair.com/

We wish you success in pursuit of your career search.

Alaska Airlines Recruitment Team

I have 6000 TT, 3000 Jet PIC

E2CMaster
12-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Same here. Less time though

e6bpilot
12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Any clue as to why you guys got the email? MB, I could see recency and number of fixed wing time being an issue. Their application was easy, but it asked a lot of funny questions such as the nicotine question and community service block. I am just trying to unravel the mystery.

Packrat
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
The problem is simply this: For 60 openings in 2014 they have thousands of apps and at least (so I'm told) 350 on the CP's desk with internal recs.

Don't let that dissuade you, though. Keep reaching for the golden ring every time the carousel goes around.

ShudaBenaFlufr
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM

Thank you for expressing interest in the position of First Officer (23522). Unfortunately, you have not been selected to continue on in the selection process. This is not a reflection on the quality of your credentials; but rather, it reflects the extremely high level of competition for this particular job. You may access information about other job opportunities at https://careers.alaskaair.com/

Lol those are my exact numbers with 5 types... Guess I wont even try

E2CMaster
12-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Any clue as to why you guys got the email? MB, I could see recency and number of fixed wing time being an issue. Their application was easy, but it asked a lot of funny questions such as the nicotine question and community service block. I am just trying to unravel the mystery.

Yeah, I figured "I meet the mins, why not" but didn't expect much. This supposed corporate pilot job I have where I haven't flown ONCE on the company dime in 2 years isn't helping. (yeah, just looked at my HR record, my official title is still a PIC supposed to be dual qualified and current in a King Air and Bell Jetranger)

BizPilot
12-28-2013, 03:25 AM
Why don't they simplify the process by saying you need 3 internal recommendations to apply. It would save a lot of false hopes.

SVA402
12-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Yeah, I figured "I meet the mins, why not" but didn't expect much. This supposed corporate pilot job I have where I haven't flown ONCE on the company dime in 2 years isn't helping. (yeah, just looked at my HR record, my official title is still a PIC supposed to be dual qualified and current in a King Air and Bell Jetranger)

This will be an issue for you at almost every airline you apply at. Most have a requirement for X number of hours in the past X number of months.

e6bpilot
12-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Lol those are my exact numbers with 5 types... Guess I wont even try

I have about half that and didn't get the TBNT email. Apply!

e6bpilot
12-28-2013, 06:34 AM
Would a rec from another Alaska employee (IT manager) help? I have externals, but don't know any pilots from Alaska.

E2CMaster
12-28-2013, 06:58 AM
This will be an issue for you at almost every airline you apply at. Most have a requirement for X number of hours in the past X number of months.

Yeah. I know. I've been trying to get a flying reserve job for a while now. Not having a a flying reserve gig wasn't a big deal when I got out, as I was supposed to fly 2-300 hours a year here. I've flown enough to be "legal" on my own dime, as far as not dropping instrument currency, but getting any sort of 100 hours + in a year is beyond my budget if I'm paying the bill 100%, especially if it's going to be in anything bigger than a 172.

inky13
12-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Did you have a cover letter uploaded?

FireFlyChi
12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Negative. I believe I uploaded resume.

Pancake
12-29-2013, 01:27 PM
I keep getting the "Graduate indicator should be set to 'ON'" prompt while updating the education section. I do not, however, see a "Graduate" container anywhere in the application. Any idea?

I am using Windows 8.

e6bpilot
12-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Their web application leaves a little to be desired. Their HR department is awesome. [email protected] They will get you fixed up.

AKfreighter
12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I keep getting the "Graduate indicator should be set to 'ON'" prompt while updating the education section. I do not, however, see a "Graduate" container anywhere in the application. Any idea?

I am using Windows 8.

I had the same problem. This is answered somewhere earlier in the thread. Delete your old/current education and reenter it. You won't have the glitch.

Light Gray
12-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Any issues uploading "pilot references"--locks up the page when I attempt

GucciBoy
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Any issues uploading "pilot references"--locks up the page when I attempt

I had to change mine from a .pdf to a .doc. That did the trick for me.

SVA402
12-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Anyone know when calls might start going out from this round of apps?

lpcunity
01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Has anybody heard of any news from the last application window? Any ideas when interviews will be scheduled?
Thanks.

Dakota Kid
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Anyone hear Boo yet from AS regarding next round of interviews?

Thanks in advance!

gvinflight
01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Ha! I got a TBNT email 3 days after submitting the app because I selected the option for having used tobacco products in the previous 6 months. Didn't know a cigar every so often would cost me Alaska...

sulkair
01-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Ha! I got a TBNT email 3 days after submitting the app because I selected the option for having used tobacco products in the previous 6 months. Didn't know a cigar every so often would cost me Alaska...

Ouch! No good deed... So sorry to hear this.

deepinthebush
01-15-2014, 02:48 AM
How is it that you know the tbnt email was due to tabacco, did they tell you this in the email?

Packrat
01-15-2014, 04:21 AM

Yep. That's an automatic thumbs down. They don't care if you smoke 'em AFTER you get hired though.

gvinflight
01-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah. It was a mistake to say yes on that one. I thought being honest was the right thing to do. But alas....yes the rejection was listed as tobacco use in the email. That hurts. I'll have to retry in 6 months if they will allow it. Frustrating....

CassinAK
01-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Bid out today! 22 upgrades 32 newhires. Portland is growing(12 upgrades). 9 in Seattle and 1 in Anchorage... Lax no love.

gsphuntr
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Bid out today! 22 upgrades 32 newhires. Portland is growing(12 upgrades). 9 in Seattle and 1 in Anchorage... Lax no love.

Any idea on the time frame to bring those 32 on? Spring? Summer?

Thrill
01-17-2014, 09:44 PM
All onboard by 01JUN

Packrat
01-18-2014, 06:47 AM
IF they can train them. When they pull Instructors out of the schoolhouse to fly the line, timing becomes problematic.

Aspilot
01-18-2014, 09:26 AM
IF they can train them. When they pull Instructors out of the schoolhouse to fly the line, timing becomes problematic.

Nope it's all good. We scoped out the training department too. Third party vendor training was negotiated in the contract.

Packrat
01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Nope it's all good. We scoped out the training department too. Third party vendor training was negotiated in the contract.

Yeah, the last time they tried that they had a 50% failure rate (mostly 727 CAs going to the -400) because United couldn't or wouldn't train pilots to AS standards.

Macdacpilot
01-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Does anyone know how Alaska is viewing your availability date since I did not see anywhere on their web application a place to input a date? Do most people put their date on their resume?

Airfix
01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know how Alaska is viewing your availability date since I did not see anywhere on their web application a place to input a date? Do most people put their date on their resume?

When Emerald Coast reviewed my resume before submittal to Alaska one of the items they told me to add was an availability date. In the last 20 years I've never included one on a resume but I did what they told me. Fingers crossed!

Airfix

Mox Nix
01-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Planning on going to this next month (Feb 22-23) in Puyallup. Alaska is listed as one of the exhibitors.

Washington Aviation Association presents the Northwest Aviation Conference & Trade Show, Puyallup WA (http://www.washington-aviation.org/NACoverview.html)

There's been some chatter about it earlier in this thread and also an older thread from last year... figured I'd post the information for anyone who wants to make plans.

I didn't hear about last year's until it was over... someone posted "did anyone go to the NW Aviation conference last weekend?" Several people said "I would have gone if I knew about it!"

I'm gonna work it in with visiting family in the area.

Dakota Kid
01-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Anyone know how many are in the pool and waiting for a class date?

gsphuntr
01-28-2014, 09:16 PM
I believe the pool is nearly drained and interviews are in the very near future...

eskimopilot
01-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know of job fair or meet up in ANC?

skid
01-29-2014, 07:45 AM
I was told that some interview calls already went out for interviews next week. I havent seen it anywhere else but heard from a captain that has been trying to help me out that had someone in his jumpseat that got called.

I am still hoping for something soon but my hopes are dwindling since i am working against a tight timeline.

lpcunity
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know when calls may go out to for the next round of interviews?
Thank you in advance.

workingforfree
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
I believe the pool is nearly drained and interviews are in the very near future...

Good to know. Anyone remember the amount they plan to hire this year?

Packrat
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Considering the number of retirees, I'd estimate the number somewhere north of 60.

workingforfree
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Considering the number of retirees, I'd estimate the number somewhere north of 60.

(tips hat)

Thanks Packrat.

Aspilot
02-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Last word I heard was 80. That was about a week ago from the LAX CP.

KNOT on CALL
02-07-2014, 07:59 AM
You think that the AS pool has dried up with the help of thirsty airlines OTHER than AS? Or is that pool full of pretty committed folk?

Packrat
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Most of the guys who apply to AS have other apps out. AS may be their first choice, but plenty of them will go elsewhere if there is a job offer.

HangOn
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Most of the guys who apply to AS have other apps out. AS may be their first choice, but plenty of them will go elsewhere if there is a job offer.

"Which airline should I work for?"

The one that hires you.....

WiltChamberlain
02-07-2014, 07:34 PM
16 went thru interview process yesterday and today. Not sure the offer rate breakdown.

Mox Nix
02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Buddy of mine at AS went to the hiring dept a couple weeks ago, talked with one of the guys who's helping sort/score applications. Apparently, the 737 type is a "highly desired/strongly encouraged" item. :(

Didn't get a definitive answer about community service... I know a lot of us have been wondering about that because it was on the online application.

Of course they mentioned job fairs as a way to get a face-to-face connection, and apparently some applicants are going to the company HQ to meet the chief pilot and get their face time that way.

Just thought I'd pass along what I've heard. Doing what I can and hoping to get the call.

mike734
02-10-2014, 05:40 PM
I too have spoken to a guy involved in the interview process. He said the community involvement aspect is highly regarded by HR. They understand if your busy raising kids, but some history or current involvement is noted and will be explored in the interview.

Attendance at a hiring fair does result in points in your matrix as do letters from current AS pilots. Letters that are from new hire FOs, that can speak to your flying skills, are valuable.

hoover
02-10-2014, 06:25 PM
I have plenty of 737 PIC time, met the CP, have LORs and went to a job fair and still can't get the call. And I live in SEA and have flown in AK for 5 yrs. What else is there to do but marry a CPs daughter? Seriously its been two yrs and nothing, yet I see many with no time in type or barely over mins with just RJ time and even those with no Jet PIC. If someone has any suggestions I am open to them.

mike734
02-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I have plenty of 737 PIC time, met the CP, have LORs and went to a job fair and still can't get the call. And I live in SEA and have flown in AK for 5 yrs. What else is there to do but marry a CPs daughter? Seriously its been two yrs and nothing, yet I see many with no time in type or barely over mins with just RJ time and even those with no Jet PIC. If someone has any suggestions I am open to them.

Damn, that's hard to swallow. I don't know the code. Do you have a 4 year degree? They're pretty big on that. Of course it's possible meeting the CP had the opposite effect. I'm just saying. It's possible. It's like working at Horizon. If you get a rep you can kiss Alaska goodbye. All I know is that if you get the interview the job is yours to lose. They don't like entitled people and don't want to hire those who will leave if a better offer comes along.

hoover
02-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Got the 4 yr degree and almost done with my Masters. It is an interesting code. I know that my contacts there are getting a little frustrated with the nepotism as they feel that AS is passing some good people up just because their last name is not already on the seniority list. I'll keep at it but soon I might have to look elsewhere as I am not getting any younger.

Rudder
02-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Hoover,

Have seen guys hired at AS that did not even meet the mins, because they knew someone or a relative of theirs was working there. Try not to get bummed and remember that when one window of opportunity closes another opens, and sometimes it is a blessing in disguise.

I know easier said than done but with your qualifications, you will get picked up just a matter of time.

Good luck!!

Packrat
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
I know that my contacts there are getting a little frustrated with the nepotism as they feel that AS is passing some good people up just because their last name is not already on the seniority list..

Better start looking elsewhere. Nepotism is the way of life at AS. I was once told that the CP had 320 resumes on his desk that were relatives/friends of the "golden boys".

Cliques are the order of the day at AS whether its to get someone hired or to get a job in the Training Department. Qualifications be danged. As far as instructor positions go, you have to know someone to get in and any one IP can blackball you.

The current CP personally told me the story about how it happened to him.

If I had it to do all over again in the current hiring environment, AS would be WAY down the list.

caterpillar
02-11-2014, 12:31 PM
If I had it to do all over again in the current hiring environment, AS would be WAY down the list.

Can you explain why?

Packrat
02-11-2014, 04:32 PM
The nepotism. The buddy system. The fake "we are family" facade. The required Company "reeducation" meetings. The lack of growth that has guys sitting in the right seat for 15 years.

Everything they do is for show. Why do you think they pioneered the check in Kiosk? To eliminate CSA jobs.

Calling the OAK mechanics in for a "meeting" and firing them all. Replacing the SEA rampers with Menzies with no notice.

One AS CEO once told a meeting of F/As and rampers "These are entry level positions and none of you should aspire to home ownership." That attitude has never changed. You are just a number, a butt in the seat. And if you get too expensive, they are more than willing to show you the door and replace you with a new hire at first year wages.

10-11 hour layovers are now the norm. Summer vacations have been drastically reduced to the point where only the top 10% of the seniority list has a prayer at getting one. Staffing is so close to the bone that they routinely offer to buy back vacations and if they don't get enough greedy volunteers they have no problem canceling your vacation and allowing you to "choose" one next year from what is left AFTER everyone has bid.

AS looks good from the outside, but if I was a mainline candidate, I'd be taking a hard look at DAL, FDX, SWA, UPS, AA and UAL in that order.

Moose
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Better start looking elsewhere. Nepotism is the way of life at AS. I was once told that the CP had 320 resumes on his desk that were relatives/friends of the "golden boys".

Cliques are the order of the day at AS whether its to get someone hired or to get a job in the Training Department. Qualifications be danged. As far as instructor positions go, you have to know someone to get in and any one IP can blackball you.

The current CP personally told me the story about how it happened to him.

This is mostly a line of BS. Do they give interviews to "Capt Kids", yes they do. One even got two interviews! That being said, I know of several people who have been hired that were not in this group. Some had letters of rec from Alaska pilots and some did not. One didn't know a soul. HR runs the show and even the CPs said they can't crack the "crystal ball" up there. To be honest, the CP had over 1200 applications from all the pilots at Alaska. So 320 were from the "golden children". Is the CP supposed to not allow them? Did they all get hired?

As for IPs, that probably rings true no matter where you go. Do training depts hire IPs that they don't know? In addition, maybe the black-balling is a good thing to keep the bad ones out. I don't know but you sound pretty bitter.

If you want to get upset, get upset at the panty-waist Alaska pilot group and our weak union. I don't get upset one bit from the stuff the company does. It's like getting mad at a snake for eating your pet rabbit. It's what they do. I get upset with our pilot group who are just like all the other idiots in our profession.....always out for #1 and self-absorbed with short-term gain. I'm afraid if you go somewhere else, you will find the same thing and continued unhappiness. Embrace the suck and move on.

Aspilot
02-12-2014, 06:50 AM
If you want to get upset, get upset at the panty-waist Alaska pilot group and our weak union. I don't get upset one bit from the stuff the company does. It's like getting mad at a snake for eating your pet rabbit. It's what they do. I get upset with our pilot group who are just like all the other idiots in our profession.....always out for #1 and self-absorbed with short-term gain. I'm afraid if you go somewhere else, you will find the same thing and continued unhappiness. Embrace the suck and move on.

Well said!

Packrat
02-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Not really bitter at all. I'm just saying that in the current hiring environment Alaska would be toward the bottom of my list. Unless, of course, Daddy was one of the Fleet Captains and you get your Captain upgrade as an IP within 6 months of getting hired.

If you don't fit that profile, go to Delta or FedEx.

70Espada
02-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Got the 4 yr degree and almost done with my Masters. It is an interesting code. I know that my contacts there are getting a little frustrated with the nepotism as they feel that AS is passing some good people up just because their last name is not already on the seniority list. I'll keep at it but soon I might have to look elsewhere as I am not getting any younger.

Alaska is probably the worst in the industry for nepotism. I'm not saying you should give up, but definitely get your stuff in at DL, AA, SW, etc. I wouldn't miss out on getting in at the early stages of a hiring wave, just to wait around for Alaska to call. You could be the poster child for what an Alaskan pilot candidate should be and still not get the call. I think it's a good airline, but I wouldn't rank it higher than DL or AA.

GearBoy
02-20-2014, 07:40 AM
I don't think he sounds bitter. I think that he sounds pragmatic. You, on the other hand sound defensive.

It sounds like there's two work groups, the haves and the have nots. Maybe he's been on the receiving end of all those predictable business decisions. It's obvious that the decisions are designed to benefit the shareholders at the expense of employees and their families. It's only business. That's understandable and predictable. You're right about that. But, you have to ask yourself, who are some of the biggest shareholders or soon to be big shareholders when their options are in the money.

Now, the weak-dick pilot group, that's another problem. It sounds like Alaska seeks out people who are willing to settle for less in exchange for being in God-given SEA. It sounds like your flight attendants have more balls than the pilots. At least the FAs voted their contact down.

The pilots on the other hand signed a weak 5-yr deal that'll leave them so far behind everyone else in 5 yrs that it'll be mathematically prohibitive to catch up. To add insult to injury, the contract offered enough productivity increases to further postpone and eliminate hiring and upgrades. You guys really boned your FOs and junior CAs on that one. Meanwhile, Alaska is announcing record profit after record profit.

On the positive side, your profit sharing bonus amounts to an extra 8 percent pay. Hopefully for you guys, that keeps coming. But, if Alaska makes one of those business decisions that you rationalize as predictable, it'll be gone in time. I'd rather have the pay in my payscale as opposed to a bonus subject to formulas that can and will be "adjusted" by management.

I readily acknowlege, that I like many pilots, am a prostitute. But, I am NOT a CHEAP prostitue. If I were going to be looking at a 15-yr upgrade at Alaska because I was surrounded by too many weak-dicks who sell their vacations and work extra for straight time, I'd consider someplace else first. At least SWAPA and the SWA captains acknowledged the 15-yr upgrade and gave the FOs a higher percentage of CA pay. At least at UAL I have a 787 as a higher-paying senior FO option. The same will never happen at Alaska. It's a CA airline where their actions say eff the FOs.

On he otherhand, If I were a horizon FO with no PIC turbine and I could never leave to go to SWA in the future, or if I were a nepotism candidate with Parker Pen time or I were an affirmative action candidate, I would settle for less and ASA is the place for me. I'd consider myself lucky to be anywhere, let alone sleeping in my own bed in SEA, PDX or ANC and I'd keep cashing the checks. And when my son or daughter were old enough, I'd get him or her a job too.

Moose
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Gearboy, you make no sense or reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Where was I defensive? Did I point out our pilot group as being weak? Uh, yes. Our pilot group is a bunch of pansies that elected to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. That being said, I don't blame management. they do what they do to a bunch of pansies. Just as I would.

Packrat
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Actually, you're both right. For years the AS pilot group maintained a secret "no strike" letter in exchange for a guaranteed 92% average of the Major airlines pay rates so they wouldn't have to make a strike decision.

As the older generation retires, perhaps that will disappear with them. I think there is a group of young guys on the property now that saw a bunch of their peers on furlough for up to three years and know it can happen to them.

The funny thing is...the labor group at AS with the biggest balls is made up primarily of women.

GearBoy
02-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Moose Munch,

Relax. Don't take things so personally. This is NOT an ad hominem attack.

Poor reading comprehension? No, that's not it.

I stand by my original assessment. Calling someone bitter is attacking him. Rationalizing over-reaching management actions like $40K pay cuts, Pay Day candy bars and furlough notices on Xmas Eve as simply business decisions is defending them.

Yes, you did say that your pilot group is weak. I agree with you. Others are in agreement with you as well.

So, we are all in consensus. The Alaska pilots are a bunch of pansies. Their HR must know how to weed out militant pilots and those with balls.

Incidentally, the actual term is:

panty waste

your waist is above your hips

maybe it was just a typo. or maybe diction or spelling isn't your strong suit ;)

GearBoy
02-20-2014, 02:10 PM
...Our pilot group is a bunch of pansies that elected to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. That being said, I don't blame management. they do what they do to a bunch of pansies. Just as I would.

You would too? You make it sound so Lord of the Flies or Machiavellian.:eek:

(or in layman's terms, so Richie Incognito)

Also, on a completely unrelated note, is it true that your CP, J.H., has no 4-yr degree?

GearBoy
02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
...So, we are all in consensus. The Alaska pilots are a bunch of pansies. Their HR must know how to weed out militant pilots and those with balls. ...

Present company excluded, of course-

Moose
02-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Present company excluded, of course-

They missed about 33% in the weed-out process. From the line though, it's tough to find a yes voter.

SVA402
02-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Also, on a completely unrelated note, is it true that your CP, J.H., has no 4-yr degree?

Unsure. Either way he's personally sold on the "importance" of it. I know for a fact base CP, S.D. does not have one.

Packrat
02-20-2014, 05:03 PM

Don't know about that, but I do know he was once blackballed out of IP training because he wasn't "Christian" enough. Just another example of the internal/external nepotism rampant at AS.

And to reinforce Moose's observation...for the 2nd month in a row AS is offering to buy vacations in all bases and all seats. They'll have no shortage of takers. Of course, that reduces the number of pilots they need to hire.

They've cut summer vacations to the bare minimum and buy back vacations in spring and fall. Have to keep down the number of FTEs (Full Time Employees for those of you who aren't fluent in Management speak) don'tcha know.

DakBroadbent
02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
QX has a couple future AS legacy hires on the property, right now. They make it clear they are only slumming until they get AS mins.
On the upside, I never thought I'd get to see an FO secretly texting as I taxied an airplane, so I got that goin' for me...

E2CMaster
02-20-2014, 07:06 PM
QX has a couple future AS legacy hires on the property, right now. They make it clear they are only slumming until they get AS mins.
On the upside, I never thought I'd get to see an FO secretly texting as I taxied an airplane, so I got that goin' for me...

Question. As a Captain, how much authority do you have "nip stupidity in the bud" to put it mildly.

When a I was HAC (Helicopter Aircraft Commander) and CAPC (Carrier AEW Plane Commander), my authority on a plane I signed for, internal to the plane and external as far as safety of flight, destination/divert/etc was more or less absolute. If I had a H2P or 2P (think FO) who was doing stupid stuff, or anyone in the back getting out of line, what I said more or less was law. Granted, I only had to lay down the hammer a handful of times in 13 years, but even when I was a LTJG (O-2) HAC flying with a LCDR(O-4, who was a Boat Driver to pilot transition) H2P, what I said, went.

As far as making the FO "cut that out" what realistic authority do you have without getting in trouble as a Captain, regardless of what the FARs say about the subject?

kingairfun
02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Question. As a Captain, how much authority do you have "nip stupidity in the bud" to put it mildly.

When a I was HAC (Helicopter Aircraft Commander) and CAPC (Carrier AEW Plane Commander), my authority on a plane I signed for, internal to the plane and external as far as safety of flight, destination/divert/etc was more or less absolute. If I had a H2P or 2P (think FO) who was doing stupid stuff, or anyone in the back getting out of line, what I said more or less was law. Granted, I only had to lay down the hammer a handful of times in 13 years, but even when I was a LTJG (O-2) HAC flying with a LCDR(O-4, who was a Boat Driver to pilot transition) H2P, what I said, went.

As far as making the FO "cut that out" what realistic authority do you have without getting in trouble as a Captain, regardless of what the FARs say about the subject?

Same authority the FO has in backhanding or ***** slapping a retarded Captain... Who says or does stupid crap because he thinks he's god of the skies. No matter what ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ-60 Omaha, Omaha, set hike...airplane he flew.....

Yeah, that much authority

othello
02-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Yeah right that used to be me just wait Until I get the Alaska Mins, they will definitely want me, five letters recommendation local degree local address lots of volunteer time Multiple type ratings 12 years 121 experience more than exceed the mins. Ha ha no dice baby. After five years of AS only finally realized I was screwing myself over. Job fairs meetings with the chief pilot anything and everything I could do and think up and was told .(All while watching Horizon FO's with family members that work there get hired with minimum experience barely making the qualifications) Finally applied at the other majors one resume hired! Things have been going great sense. Don't make Alaska the only entrée on the menu.
Don't make me out to be the bitter guy That couldn't get an interview. After I first Hand learned that a Skywest kid son of a AS Employee got interviewed twice in eight months while stacks and stacks of us fully qualified but not genetically connected. Never even got an interview. I finally gave in. It is what it is and I have moved on.

E2CMaster
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
So if the FO is being an idiot, or doing something he's not supposed to, like texting during ground ops, are you saying the Captain can't do jack?

The only times I had to lay down the hammer was when one moron kept on turning the pressurization on and off to screw with the people on the back, at which point I sent him to the back to sit with the CO and brought a NFO up to be a copilot, and when I was flying helicopters, we had this one dude who liked to flip random switches, valves and levers to "see if it does what NATOPS says will happen", without briefing it, at the worst possible times.

The rest was minor stuff like we're 30 seconds from landing, put the damn soda down and get a visual on your gear.

DakBroadbent
02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
The captain has all the authority he/she needs to deal with things like that, certainly. I could absolutely have returned to the gate and had him replaced without fear of retribution, at least not from MY company. YMMV...

DakBroadbent
02-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Sorry for the thread drift...

Mudhen200
02-21-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm seeing a lot of miss-information in the last few paged of ranting.
Secret ALPA / Company deals, pay scales so low we will never catch up, IP's blacklisting all but their buddies, Captain's kids getting all the new hire slots...

I don't understand what makes some pilots so bitter and angry. I started to go down that road once myself when I had my A$$ handed to me by Mr. Kasher, but I stepped back from the ledge and chose to keep things in perspective.

I get paid a great wage to do very little work. I have good benefits. I get a good amount of time off. I like what I do and I like where I get to do it. You have no idea how little I care if Delta or United will be making $5 an hour more than I do in 2016.

Reality is that this company currently makes more money (% ROI) than any body else. I hope that it lasts - and as a pilot for the company I will do everything in my power to make sure it does - because with that very high % ROI comes a stability that is very rare in this industry.

This thread was suppose to be about hiring. Maybe we could help some young guy / gal find their way through the maze and get the cheese rather than turn it into a soap box for disgruntled employees, who frankly would be miserable no matter where they worked.

For those who want to be a pilot for Alaska. This is a great company. I wish you success in your interview and hope to see you on the line.

Packrat
02-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm seeing a lot of miss-information in the last few paged of ranting.
Secret ALPA / Company deals, pay scales so low we will never catch up, IP's blacklisting all but their buddies, Captain's kids getting all the new hire slots...

Sorry, Mr. Arctic Eagle, even though you've attempted to cleverly, slightly change the facts, everything you've noted is 100% true.

I get paid a great wage to do very little work. I have good benefits. I get a good amount of time off. I like what I do and I like where I get to do it. You have no idea how little I care if Delta or United will be making $5 an hour more than I do in 2016.

Life's GREAT in the ANC base. Double BET turns mean AM or PM flying and home every night. Gotta LOVE living on the frozen island, though. If guns, light planes and killing fish and fauna excite you, its a great base.

Reality is that this company currently makes more money (% ROI) than any body else. I hope that it lasts - and as a pilot for the company I will do everything in my power to make sure it does - because with that very high % ROI comes a stability that is very rare in this industry.

Talk about disinformation. Both Allegiant AND Southwest posted a higher ROI than Alaska last year. You might want to do some research before you spout the Company line in public. However, go ahead...stand up in front of the cabin and make you're welcome aboard PA. Because that's what "brand differentiation" is all about.

For those who want to be a pilot for Alaska. This is a great company. I wish you success in your interview and hope to see you on the line.

YOU are the reason Moose tagged AS pilots as pansies. Alaska pilots will be so far behind other Majors in pay when the contract comes up for renegotiation, you'll never make it up. Enjoy selling you're vacation back in March and April. You're also the reason a lot of these young guys you "hope to see on the line" will go to other airlines because Alaska has no need to hire them.

It must be wonderful in your little Arctic Eagle world. We're all glad for you.

P.S. Since you love the "Mudhen" title you're either one of the Senior guys in ANC who made Captain in 2 years or you're one of the new guys who had to yank gear for 15 years to get your left seat. Considering how much you "love" Alaska Airlines, I'm guessing its the former.

vagabond
02-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Mod note:

Stay on track boys and girls. If you must make odious comparisons please take them to PM.

By the way, there is at least one AS pilot who can never be considered a pansy. :)

CRM114
02-21-2014, 01:22 PM
This thread was suppose to be about hiring. Maybe we could help some young guy / gal find their way through the maze and get the cheese rather than turn it into a soap box for disgruntled employees, who frankly would be miserable no matter where they worked.

Do you know the projected retirements at AK? Last I heard, it was a 12-15 year Capt. upgrade. Without some sort of major expansion or merger, that's going to be a lot of 737 right seat time compared to opportunities elsewhere.

I think AK is an awesome company with a great culture (for the most part), it's just that everyone is so young that it will present considerable career stagnation for the FNGs.

Packrat
02-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Mod note:

Stay on track boys and girls. If you must make odious comparisons please take them to PM.

By the way, there is at least one AS pilot who can never be considered a pansy. :)

To go back to my original point: My contention is that GIVEN THE CURRENT HIRING ENVIRONMENT, I personally, would have Alaska near the bottom of my "wanted list." Considering the wave of near term retirements FedEx, Delta, UPS, American and even United would rank above Alaska.

But, then, I'm not in love with living in the Pacific Northwest OR the state of Alaska. If that's your driving desire and you don't mind yanking gear for 12 - 15 years, Alaska may be just your cup of tea.

lpcunity
02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Any idea when future calls for interviews may go out?

CassinAK
02-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Packrat where do you work?

mike734
02-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Attention all pilots wanting to move on from their current job. Don't apply at Alaska. I love it here and look forward to the next 20 years but never mind that. You should listen to the guys who think it stinks. It would really be great if we had no applicants the next time we negotiate a contract. So please don't apply. Thank you.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 09:48 AM
...This thread was suppose to be about hiring. Maybe we could help some young guy / gal find their way through the maze and get the cheese rather than turn it into a soap box for disgruntled employees, who frankly would be miserable no matter where they worked...

That's just it. A few people who you call "disgruntled" are trying to help those same people make an educated decision. That means that they need to get both sides of the equation, the good and the bad at Alaskan Airways. There's your I'm lucky to be anywhere and I'll settle for less side (presumably one of the pansies). Then, there's their it's not all roses sitting next to and throwing gear for a bunch of pansy "I-got-mine-Screw-you-types" looking at a 15-yr upgrade and no quality of life (presumably non-pansy).

Those same disgruntled people have already admitted that if they had to do it all over again in TODAY's hiring environment, Alaska would NOT be their first choice. The people currently interested in Alaska need to know why, unless you're one of those non-pic-turbine-no 4-yr college degree-silver bullet from your daddy-affirmative-action types. In that case, it might be that they're tailor-maid for Alaskan Airways. Now. if they also volunteer in the soup kitchen, they should be golden. Alaskan just might be their cup of tea;
ps. what's all this "mud hen" and "arctic eagle" nickname stuff? sounds like a flying club.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Unsure. Either way he's personally sold on the "importance" of it. I know for a fact base CP, S.D. does not have one.
I was told that your company has plans for him and that he's getting one on the side. If he's lucky, they're paying for it. I also heard that SD would have had JH's job if he had only had that sheepskin.

mike734
02-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Alaskan Airways.

Your ignorance is showing.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Your ignorance is showing.

Unless, of course it was deliberate on my part. in that case, who's the ignorant one?

Here's to mud in your eye. Or maybe it was egg on your face. I can't remember which. Or maybe I can.

God speed Alaska Star Airlines (ASA)

Moose
02-22-2014, 12:21 PM
That's just it. A few people who you call "disgruntled" are trying to help those same people make an educated decision. That means that they need to get both sides of the equation, the good and the bad at Alaskan Airways. There's your I'm lucky to be anywhere and I'll settle for less side (presumably one of the pansies). Then, there's their it's not all roses sitting next to and throwing gear for a bunch of pansy "I-got-mine-Screw-you-types" looking at a 15-yr upgrade and no quality of life (presumably non-pansy).

Those same disgruntled people have already admitted that if they had to do it all over again in TODAY's hiring environment, Alaska would NOT be their first choice. The people currently interested in Alaska need to know why, unless you're one of those non-pic-turbine-no 4-yr college degree-silver bullet from your daddy-affirmative-action types. In that case, it might be that they're tailor-maid for Alaskan Airways. Now. if they also volunteer in the soup kitchen, they should be golden. Alaskan just might be their cup of tea;
ps. what's all this "mud hen" and "arctic eagle" nickname stuff? sounds like a flying club.

Who is Alaskan Airways? I think it's a great time to get on with Alaska Airlines. We are very solid financially, most do not commute, new airplanes, good routes and pay. Alaska has it's warts though but I think it's a great place to be if you can get on. Getting on is the big trick nobody has figured out yet.

mike734
02-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Unless, of course it was deliberate on my part. in that case, who's the ignorant one?

Here's to mud in your eye. Or maybe it was egg on your face. I can't remember which. Or maybe I can.

God speed Alaska Star Airlines (ASA)

Nice try. The last person I heard say, "I meant to do that." Was my 10 year old.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Nice try. The last person I heard say, "I meant to do that." Was my 10 year old.

Magic Mike,

Now. Now. Don't get your chonies in a bunch.

What's with you Alaska guys? Don't you recognize thinly veiled contempt or troll bait when you see it.

You Alaska pansies just don't wanna have fun.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Who is Alaskan Airways? ...
Apparently ATC on anything other than the west coast hasn't gotten the word. Going in and out of EWR, BOS and ORD it's ALASKAN. Even my sainted 89-yr-old father says AlasKAN. They all can't be wrong.

Packrat
02-22-2014, 01:28 PM
The "Mudhen/Arctic Eagle" mentality is a flying club. It originated in the ANC base when the "boys" were flying the 737-200. They all thought they were better pilots than anyone else in the system, especially the Jet America guys.

Unfortunately, that attitude led to them "doing what ever it takes" to get the job done. Why? Because if you wanted to take extra gas due to weather or alternate considerations and left 1000 lbs of dead fish on the ramp, the Ops agent would be on the phone to the ANC CP before you got your wheels in the well. Then you got to "explain" yourself.

I once heard one of the Arctic Eagles berating a Dispatcher for carrying TOO MUCH fuel on a 2500 nm leg from ANC to ORD then DEMAND to talk to the Chief Dispatcher when the guy wouldn't take the fuel off. This on the longest leg in the system, at night, over Canada with limited alternates to the 2nd busiest airport in the U.S. in a 737-700. Why? Because the Arctic Eagles routinely carried minimum fuel. And God help you if you wanted to take on fuel in a remote station like Kotzebue. "We carry gas TO Kotz, we don't take it out of there." Begging the question, "Why then do we TAKE it there if not to use it when needed?"

In Mudhen land, if you couldn't pull the throttles to idle at FL350 and not touch them again until 500 AGL, you weren't up to par. If you had to look at a chart for an FSS frequency anywhere in SE Alaska you weren't good enough. I guess if you spend your whole career flying to 10 or 12 airports you have everything memorized, but the Arctic Eagles demanded that of new hire F/Os and "Outside" new Captains alike. (For those of you non-Alaskans, "Outside" refers to anything outside the borders of the state.)

Yeah, they were quite a bunch. Whenever they got caught doing anything "outside" the regulations their defense was always, "You don't understand how we need to operate." Unfortunately, THEY didn't seem to understand that they still needed to adhere to Part 121 regs even though they were "obviously" superior airmen.

Fortunately, that attitude is mostly gone up there, but pockets still exist. It is very telling that the Chief Mudhen/Arctic Eagle was killed a couple years after he retired scud running...a true Alaska Legend. The saddest thing of all is the "Mudhen" mentality was even embraced by Flight Ops managers even as the scrambled to cover up the errors the mindset produced. Those that they knew about at any rate.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Do you know the projected retirements at AK? Last I heard, it was a 12-15 year Capt. upgrade. Without some sort of major expansion or merger, that's going to be a lot of 737 right seat time compared to opportunities elsewhere.

I think AK is an awesome company with a great culture (for the most part), it's just that everyone is so young that it will present considerable career stagnation for the FNGs.

Honestly,

One would be well-advised to weigh all of the pros and cons of any airline. Far too often we go thru the process with blinders on or we keep asking the same question over and over again until we get the answer we want to hear.

In addition to having many benefits, Alaska also is a small carrier with growth in seat miles only. There appears to be little attrition, now and going forward. There are only about 1400 pilots flying their line in 4 bases. So, no matter how you slice it, there really aren't going to be that many new hires or upgrades going forward any way you slice it. That also means fewer bids and no larger international equipment over which to lateral in the future. No real International flying means lesser non-rev benefits as well and a pocket full of ID-90s for you and your family if you ever get to vacation with them.

So, be prepared to swing gear in the right seat for a very long time. Be prepared for displacements, base changes, force-transfers or worse yet, furlough. Be prepared for a long time on reserve where there's no right or wrong, only contractual and FAR Legal. in addition, expect no eventual perks as a senior FO either. No cushy lines. No vacations in summer. No 777s or 787s and the better pay and schedules that come with them. Plan on years of working weekends, nights and holidays only to eventually ugrade to reserve captain on Reserve in ANC at 12 years or 15 in SEA. But, don't worry. There will be a senior guy standing next to you in OPS on Thanksgiving or Xmas. He'll be the one bragging about getting premium pay or working thru vacation.

Just know what you're getting into. Then maybe you too won't be "disgruntled" in the end. A lot has changed in this industry the last 15 years, especially for those on the lower half of the seniority list.

I can only speak for myself. It didn't go down as I had planned. I don't think that I or any of the other senior FOs in this industry could have predicted or planned on the race to the bottom that the last 15 years has been.

But, the cliché about timing is true. Hopefully the new hires of today will have to wade thru less effluent than we did.

In the end, don't let the job or uniform define who you are. Work to live. Don't live to work.

Packrat
02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
There will be a snior guy standing next to you in OPS on Thanksgiving or Xmas. He'll be the one bragging about getting premium pay.

Just know what you're getting into. Then maybe you won't be "disgruntled" in the end. A lot has changed in this industry the last 15 years, especially for those on the lower half of the seniority list.

LOL! Or about having sold back his Christmas vacation...a vacation that you won't EVER be able to hold.

It amuses me when telling guys the truth is characterized as "bitter" or "disgruntled." I guess some people can't handle the truth.

cesnacaptn
02-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Honestly,

One would be well-advised to weigh all of the pros and cons of any airline. Far too often we go thru the process with blinders on or we keep asking the same question over and over again until we get the answer we want to hear.

In addition to having many benefits, Alaska also is a small carrier with growth in seat miles only. There appears to be little attrition, now and going forward. There are only about 1400 pilots flying their line in 4 bases. So, no matter how you slice it, there really aren't going to be that many new hires or upgrades going forward any way you slice it. That also means fewer bids and no larger international equipment over which to lateral in the future.

So, be prepared to swing gear in the right seat for a very long time. Be prepared for displacements or worse yet, furlough. Be prepared for a long time on reserve where there's no right or wrong, only contractual and FAR Legal. in addition, expect no eventual perks as a senior FO either. No cushy lines. No vacations in summer. No 777s or 787s and the better pay and schedules that come with them. Plan on years of working weekends, nights and holidays only to eventually ugrade to reserve captain on Reserve in ANC at 12 years or 15 in SEA. But, don't worry. There will be a senior guy standing next to you in OPS on Thanksgiving or Xmas. He'll be the one bragging about getting premium pay or working thru vacation.

Just know what you're getting into. Then maybe you too won't be "disgruntled" in the end. A lot has changed in this industry the last 15 years, especially for those on the lower half of the seniority list.

I can only speak for myself. It didn't go down as I had planned. I don't think that I or any of the other senior FOs in this industry could have predicted or planned on the race to the bottom that the last 15 years has been.

Are you suggesting that you know what the next 12 to 15 years have in store for Alaska? No one does. I hope someone hired today doesn't have to go through a 5 year increase in mandatory retirement age and another Great Recession. Unless there's a merger or other drastic change to the business plan, we will see upgrade times start to fall.

According to APC, the junior captain at SWA was hired 9 years ago. Do you think someone hired there today is looking at a 9 year upgrade? Doubtful, likely longer, but admit that no one really knows.

You can't just take a snapshot of the longevity of current upgrades and tell a new hire that's how long it will take him.

cesnacaptn
02-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Talk about disinformation. Both Allegiant AND Southwest posted a higher ROI than Alaska last year. You might want to do some research before you spout the Company line in public. However, go ahead...stand up in front of the cabin and make you're welcome aboard PA. Because that's what "brand differentiation" is all about.

You're a little harsh Packrat. Maybe Mudhen was talking about ROIC, which Alaska did have Southwest beat.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 03:28 PM
You can't just take a snapshot of the longevity of current upgrades and tell a new hire that's how long it will take him.

That's not it at all. No one has a crystal ball. I'm telling them to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

And no, you cannot tell someone how long it's going to take to upgrade. Nor, can you tell them in new-hire indoct, "Welcome to your last airline." It's all relative. The point being, it might be longer at Alaska relative to elsewhere.

It's all about the math. The choices and options afforded elsewhere and the negatives specific to Alaska might make Alaska less than someone's first choice.

The upgrade at Alaska is not going to snap back five years to the nine year mark just because the age 65 lump in the python finally exits the snakes anus. Changes concurrent to age-65 adversely affected progression and QoL.

The increases in productivity, seat mile growth only, the loss of trips touching and bank vacation, reduced credit for training and vacation days, selling back your vacations, working on your vacations, reserves working on their day off, building your lines up to FAA limits pilot to pilot and FAR 117 all make for increased upgrade times and stagnation in the right seat and decreases in QoL.

I jump-seat on Alaska a lot. One of their own Union Negotiators (R.D.) told me that they (their union) believe that the average pilot at Alaska is still going to be a Captain many more years than an FO. Therefore, their contract must take care of the captains. Well, they did just that. Whether or not what he said is still true remains to be seen. But, in the mean time, there's a whole generation of FOs at Alaska who would argue that their career earnings have been adversely affected by their union's negotiation results.

Interestingly, the last Alaska contract made the captains whole again at Alaska with respect to pay. They negotiated a captain pay that brought them back above Pre-Kasher. They didn't do the same for the right seat. FO's are still making less than pre-kasher, even after taking up to a 35% pay cut. To add insult to injury, they're looking at longer upgrades due to the increases in productivity given.

So, the point again, is that due to things specific to Alaska, like culture, history, work rules, size and the pansy factor, Alaska might not be your first choice in TODAY'S hiring environment.

On a related note, SWA announces increased hiring due to older pilots getting more vacation days with increased longevity. Why? Because they still have trips touching. On the other hand, Alaska announces reduced hiring because they announced vacation buy backs.

On a related note, SWAPA and SWA Captains recognize an increase in upgrade times. They respond by giving their FO's a higher percentage of captain pay. Alaska says you'll be a Captain eventually. In the mean time eff-off.

Did SWA furlough? No.

Moose
02-22-2014, 03:41 PM
LOL! Or about having sold back his Christmas vacation...a vacation that you won't EVER be able to hold.

It amuses me when telling guys the truth is characterized as "bitter" or "disgruntled." I guess some people can't handle the truth.

8 years and Christmas off this year. I fly my line and go home. 72hrs this month while working 2 of 4 weekends. No all-nighters. No commuting. Guys getting hired today won't have to eat the 5 years the geezers imposed on us. Hopefully they won't have the additional pain of almost 10% of the seniority list furloughed. That killed me and you. The Eskimo is doing well and we got a nice bonus. I'm happy working for a healthy company. Who knows what the future holds but I'm reasonably happy today. Dont get me started on ALPA though. I'm not saying it's all unicorns and rainbows, but it's a lot better than it was.

GearBoy
02-22-2014, 06:23 PM
... I know for a fact base CP, S.D. does not have one.
I'm sure he's a very nice guy. He's risen to where he is for whatever reason. He must know how to play the game.

But, no college? Is he where he is because of nepotism? His daddy must have worked at Alaska?

That got him in the door. Has he paid his dues on the line? Or is climbing the company ladder to get an override and avoid juniority?

More power to him. Again, I'm sure he's a perectly good guy.

If that's the case, a good guy with no college is better than a tool with a degree.

Packrat
02-22-2014, 06:44 PM
His Pa was the 737 Fleet Captain. He got hired and checked out as an IP (with Capt. upgrade) the first year on the property. Oh to be an Arctic Eaglet.

Packrat
02-22-2014, 06:47 PM
8 years and Christmas off this year.

Enjoy that Xmas vacation until you upgrade. After that, kiss it and summer vacations goodbye. You're probably a PDX guy. You'd never hold it in SEA.

Moose
02-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Enjoy that Xmas vacation until you upgrade. After that, kiss it and summer vacations goodbye. You're probably a PDX guy. You'd never hold it in SEA.

SEA based.

Pelican
02-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Packrat please enlighten us all on your illustrious career. Someone asked where you work and unless I couldn't find it our it was simply hidden, you never answered. Instead you have done nothing but complain, insult and ***** about a company you don't even work at. You even make assumptions about someone's base just because they hold christmas off and guess what, your assumption was wrong. So, please, continue to tell the world everything you know about Alaska Airlines even though you don't work here, or, you could just shut your mouth and talk about something you actually do know about. You're obviously bitter and you're obviously ignorant, please do us all a favor and cease commenting as though you are an exper witness on something you obviously know jack about.

lpcunity
03-01-2014, 08:20 AM
So what's up with future hiring? I'd love to hear some relevant information about future invertview dates and class dates. Thank you in advance.

FL410
03-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Someone was told at the tradeshow last weekend that only 40 more pilots hired by the end of the year. Hopefully not true. But if they are anything like Horizon the training over the summer pretty much stops. I know of classed in March and April.

XTweet
03-01-2014, 09:46 PM
84 new pilots was the projection given during the Puyallup trade show.

squall line
03-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Apparently quite a few in the pool from jan/feb interviews (and probably even some from last year). As I understood it, 30 more to fill the pool to satisfy demand for the remainder of the year. Previous post sounds correct, total of 80+ newhires in 2014.

ghilis101
03-02-2014, 01:57 AM
did you guys see Alaska is handing out 258 fast passes at WAI next week? That's pretty impressive. Looks like youll be able to get lots of facetime with them if you go, each fastpass is scheduled for 15 minutes.

Packrat
03-02-2014, 04:50 AM
or, you could just shut your mouth and talk about something you actually do know about. You're obviously bitter and you're obviously ignorant, please do us all a favor and cease commenting as though you are an exper witness on something you obviously know jack about.

LOL! Looks like the truth hurts. Hit a nerve, did I? I guess no one likes their dirty laundry aired in public.

Remember, all I said was:

Given the CURRENT hiring picture, I would personally place Alaska BEHIND:

FedEx
UPS
DAL
SWA
AA
UAL

Sorry if you can't handle a contrary opinion to the sunshine Angle Lake routinely blows up your tailpipe.

ghilis101
03-02-2014, 05:09 AM
LOL! Looks like the truth hurts. Hit a nerve, did I? I guess no one likes their dirty laundry aired in public.

FedEx
UPS
DAL
SWA
AA
UAL

Sorry if you can't handle a contrary opinion to the sunshine Angle Lake routinely blows up your tailpipe.

Packrat, AS is a tightknit niche airline AS has its appeal to a certain group of people, just like Hawaiian. To an outsider, you'd say, why would you go to Alaska when you could go to the airlines you listed? However, if you live in the Northwest, its an awesome choice. Why would someone commute to the east coast with a major when they could drive to work at Alaska? To each his own, Im a big fan of the Alaska crowd, theyre a good bunch.

Btw consider sliding FDX/UPS down the list IF you subscribe to a certain theory out there that they're going to go the way of DHL in the next couple decades (chopped up and contracted out to low paying cargo carriers). I don't know if I believe that theory yet, but watching DHL do it today successfully is QUITE scary, even with scope clauses.

Packrat
03-02-2014, 05:17 AM
I agree with you. To me, living in SEA/PDX is way overrated, but if it torques their collective wrenches, good for them.

Col. Saito (Bridge Over the River Kwai) would love them. He said, "Be happy in your work" even though they were in a jungle prison camp. The Colonel was definitely AS management material.

ghilis101
03-02-2014, 06:29 AM
I agree with you. To me, living in SEA/PDX is way overrated, but if it torques their collective wrenches, good for them.

Col. Saito (Bridge Over the River Kwai) would love them. He said, "Be happy in your work" even though they were in a jungle prison camp. The Colonel was definitely AS management material.

lmao :D ... not the example I would have gone with, but hilarious! Take the case of the McChord reservist or Elmendorf or Oregon guard F-15 pilot etc, or the military retiree that lives in or wants to move back to the NW. This job is a dream for them, 2 paychecks, home most nights, and they get to stay mostly in the same time zone when they fly. I would never fault anyone for going to Alaska. Heck, there are people trying to leave certain majors to go there, so they must be doing something right.

asupilot
03-02-2014, 08:02 AM
lmao :D ... not the example I would have gone with, but hilarious! Take the case of the McChord reservist or Elmendorf or Oregon guard F-15 pilot etc, or the military retiree that lives in or wants to move back to the NW. This job is a dream for them, 2 paychecks, home most nights, and they get to stay mostly in the same time zone when they fly. I would never fault anyone for going to Alaska. Heck, there are people trying to leave certain majors to go there, so they must be doing something right.

I've decided: No one gets hired at AS until I do.

Packrat
03-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Heck, there are people trying to leave certain majors to go there, so they must be doing something right.

http://freewallpapers4desktop.com/wallpapers/the_grass_is_always_greener_on_the_other_side-1152x864.jpg

Mudhen200
03-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Alaska is a great place to work. I'm sorry that PackRatt has taken over this thread and turned it into something less then helpful.
If you are a pilot who loves the PNW and AK, if you enjoy fun flying to unusual places, if you like working for a profitable company - then join us.

There will always be strange fellows on internet web boards who seems to enjoy making noise for the sake of making it. They give no useful information, only anger, hate and lies. One another board I look at from time to time there is a guy called General Lee who does the same thing. It's best to just ignore them, but I know it is hard to do sometimes.

As an example, a few pages back, PackRatt gave a long rant on Arctic Eagles and the Mudhen. As you can tell by my name, I was honored and blessed to be one of them for many years. I can assure you this - not one thing that PackRatt said was even remotely accurate. He was never there, he never flew the 200, so how can he possibly speak to something that he knows absolutely nothing about? He can slander me and my co-workers all he wants, and frankly, we don't care. But I do take issue with him slandering the death of one of our dearest friends - a death that was tragic and heart breaking and has details that PackRatt knows nothing about.

So, for those who seek to work for Alaska - I'm sorry that you have to wade through pages of crap while trying to find a nugget of helpful information on this thread. Don't believe a word of what ever PackRatt spits out and you will be ahead of the game. If you have specific questions about the company, keep asking and I'm sure several of us will do our best to give you factual information without the "Alaska sucks" attitude.

Pelican
03-02-2014, 09:08 AM

FedEx
UPS
DAL
SWA
AA
UAL

Actually what you said was that in order to hold Christmas off he must be PDX based. At which time they responded and corrected you by informing you he/she was SEA based. That is what I was talking about you not knowing what you were talking about, making assumptions about AS Airlines and spouting your mouth on half baked notions. I could give a rats @&& where you rank AS Airlines on your hiring priorty, that's up to you. Yes you struck a nerve, because you talk as though you actually know something and you obviously don't. Insult AS Airlines as much as you want, again, I could give a rats @$$...until you start talking factual information, you are 100% discredited.

vagabond
03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Ok enough thread drift. I'm going to let everything so far stand, but will be deleting any future posts that do not have anything to do with useful information about hiring at Alaska.

Personally I love living here in Seattle. I would never leave. I am a longtime Alaska shareholder and proud of it. I like rain and clouds. I count many Alaska pilots as friends. I have a lot of miles in my mileage plan. If I knew how to fly, I would try to get on there.

AKpilot
03-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Interviewing 16 next week. Hiring 40 more for this year. Possible 120 next year.

I don't understand the anger some of the posters on the forum have for AS. This is my 13 th flying job. I have worked at several other airlines and I have friends all over the industry. I have to say AS is a good place to work.

Tanker-driver
03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the update AK. Any idea when the next round of calls is going out?

WiltChamberlain
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the update AK. Any idea when the next round of calls is going out?

I know calls for the Feb interviews went out about middle of Jan (~3wks prior). Seems like they're sticking to interviewing in early part of the month so another couple weeks for the April interviews and then on from there.

R3360
03-04-2014, 09:00 AM
They typically do not train in summer, so I'm guessing since March interviews are full and classes scheduled into May, that Fall will be the next calls for interviews.

40 this spring and 40 in fall. give or take....

AlaskaOrBust
03-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Hello all. First time post on APC - I am a military guy from the Northwest and would be ecstatic to get picked up by Alaska. The problem is I don't have a flying history with anyone at AS, and therefore internal recommendations are unlikely. Does anyone have experience with external recs from military commanders and such? Do they hold any kind of weight? Also, is there a way to fill out an application on the careers page while the window is closed? Thanks!

Packrat
03-06-2014, 08:18 AM
No they don't. Internal recommendations are the only thing that carry any weight at AS. Make sure you have some community service (for some unknown reason) on your resume as well.

You can only apply through the open window. Make sure you stay aware of it because it opens and closes quickly. Attend the WIA and OBAP conferences as well if you really want to work for Alaska. Personal schmoozing with the Chief Pilots and HR people works the best. Frankly, it is just about the ONLY way to get around the general nepotism involved in the Alaska hiring process.

AorB, check your PMs for more info.

squall line
03-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Do you think community service is a bad thing or below you? The reason is not unknown. Alaska wants to see that there is more to you than just flying planes. Quite a few airlines feel this way. Charlie V. at UAL has said the same thing at job fairs in his presentation.

gooddeal
03-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Do you think community service is a bad thing or below you? The reason is not unknown. Alaska wants to see that there is more to you than just flying planes. Quite a few airlines feel this way. Charlie V. at UAL has said the same thing at job fairs in his presentation.

There seems to be plenty of areas that are below him...most notably the general attitude towards the company and it's people. Be careful taking such advice from an obviously jaded source.

I know of at least one pilot hired last year who didn't have any ties to current/past employees, did not attend any job fair or hiring event and wasn't anything more on paper than a white male with industry average numbers and presented a good attitude. I wouldn't say that this is the recipe for getting hired at Alaska (or any other carrier), I'd say the times are different than that portrayed by the bitter off-topic ramblings of an out-to-sea former (or maybe fired) employee who thinks nepotism is isolated to one carrier.

Anything that you can do to differentiate yourself in a stack of resumes will improve chances of being visible but there are no guarantees. Hopefully people in the last round of interviews will post results their experiences to give a current perspective.

Packrat
03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Heck no, there's nothing wrong with it. It seems like its a recent wrinkle in the hiring practice, though. Alaska likes to see community service on your resume. I assume court ordered community service would count against you, though.

Sorry to have angered the true believers when I opined that given today's hiring picture, Alaska would not have been high on my personal list. Your list may vary given your lifestyle, residence preference and/or career goals.

pete2800
03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I assume court ordered community service would count against you, though.

Dang it.

:D

Mudhen200
03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
I'll admit it up front. I'm old school. I don't think HR has any business being involved in hiring pilots. What does a latte drinking, manicured, curly haired, big smile, perfect teeth and high pitched voiced, 20 something lady know about picking pilots? We (pilots) should be the only ones involved in picking other pilots that we are going to have to sit next two for days on end for the next 20 years.
Times change. My generation couldn't get a phone call without knowing somebody and then you had to prove that you were capable of a lunar landing on your NASA sim ride.
Today's generation has to show "community service". Nothing wrong with community service, except a guy with a wife and maybe a kid or two, earning $20,000 to $30,000 a year at some piece of work regional has got no time to go out and do community service. But... they do because the know it's part of the test now. Go find a soup kitchen, give them an afternoon, put it on your application and be done with it. Dumb... but no different then my generation that all went out and got our FE ticket, just because everybody else did it and we had to be competitive.
Play the game. Get the job. It's a very dumb process to have to endure, but the job is worth it.

lpcunity
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Has anyone heard if there are going to be anymore invitations for interviews this spring? Thank you in advance!

BushPirate
03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Has anyone heard if there are going to be anymore invitations for interviews this spring? Thank you in advance!

Ipcunity, I really admire your focus! Despite all the mudslinging, you stay on point :) Thank You!

Having flown out of Beth-hell, where Alaska was our lifeline, I have nothing but good things to say about Alaska and I am looking forward to the updates.

lpcunity
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm just trying to keep my ear close to the ground. I know Alaska would be a great fit for me. Let's hope they keep the door open!

AKpilot
03-15-2014, 10:59 AM
From the recent VP fltops news letters..... the most recent class New hires came from "Horizon, Air Wis, Express Jet, ANG" the class before that, Horizon, Virgin Am, ExpJet, Empire, USMC. The one before that Jan or early Feb. ExpJet, Southern, USN, Endevor, and Pinnacle. There are some newbies getting LAX and SEA base. I recently rode in the J/S with an ANC F/O that had quit AA mainline last year to come to AS.

I don't know what the code is to get hired. I have recommended 2 very qualified people that have all the squares filled and they have not gotten an interview in the last 2 years.

AKpilot
03-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Ref Community service at AS.
I asked one of the base chief pilots what they mean by community service for new hires. Could be anything from coaching kids teams, Scouting, Mowing the lawn of the old lady next door, mentoring, volunteering etc.

mike734
03-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Ref Community service at AS.
I asked one of the base chief pilots what they mean by community service for new hires. Could be anything from coaching kids teams, Scouting, Mowing the lawn of the old lady next door, mentoring, volunteering etc.
I've even heard they like to see leadership positions in ALPA. The bottom line is they want to hire interesting people with a story to tell.

NoJoy
03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't forget Make-A-Wish Foundation. Being a Wish granter is pretty cool; and does not take up too much of your time.

Packrat
03-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Make-A-Wish would probably be a good one. Alaska supports Make-A-Wish in a huge way.

steak pilot
03-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Hello all,

I was able to apply when the window was last open in December. I got the TBNT email, I think because I didn't have my Bachelors degree at that time. I have since completed it and am very eager to get my info back in front of the recruiting team. I have a few internal connections and LOR's but what else can I be doing? What is competitive?

I have scoured their website to find out any info about what jobfairs/ conventions they might be attending with no luck. I understand that AS was at Oshkosh last year, any chance they will be at Sun'n Fun?

Thanks in advance,
Steak

Packrat
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Don't know about those two but they are ALWAYS at WIA and OBAP.

alphasierra01
03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Hello all,

I was able to apply when the window was last open in December. I got the TBNT email, I think because I didn't have my Bachelors degree at that time. I have since completed it and am very eager to get my info back in front of the recruiting team. I have a few internal connections and LOR's but what else can I be doing? What is competitive?

I have scoured their website to find out any info about what jobfairs/ conventions they might be attending with no luck. I understand that AS was at Oshkosh last year, any chance they will be at Sun'n Fun?

Thanks in advance,
Steak Hey Steak pilot, I sent you PM.

love2av8
03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Anyone know the scoop on this. I talked to a recruiter at WAI and she said their mins were 5,000 TT and 1,500 TPIC. Hmmm the last window in December it was 3,000 TT with no TPIC requirement. And she did say this was their mins, not what is considered competitive. Thinking maybe she got something mixed up because that would make them even more restrictive then FedEx!

Packrat
03-18-2014, 05:53 PM
You would be surprised the qualifications pilots have who apply to AS. More restrictive than FedEx? AS always has been more restrictive than a lot of airlines.

mike734
03-18-2014, 06:49 PM
You would be surprised the qualifications pilots have who apply to AS. More restrictive than FedEx? AS always has been more restrictive than a lot of airlines.

We hire the best. You can have the rest.

cesnacaptn
03-18-2014, 09:55 PM

Is Best the chief pilot's daughter?

SVA402
03-18-2014, 10:40 PM
Anyone know the scoop on this. I talked to a recruiter at WAI and she said their mins were 5,000 TT and 1,500 TPIC. Hmmm the last window in December it was 3,000 TT with no TPIC requirement. And she did say this was their mins, not what is considered competitive. Thinking maybe she got something mixed up because that would make them even more restrictive then FedEx!

They posted those mins of 3k for legal purposes so they could hire family members and such. However I was told by someone "in the know" that 5k is the real minimum they look for unless you're pretty special. I guess the main reason for this is they've found people with low TT end up not having many good stories for them in the interviews and struggle in IOE more often. Not saying I agree with it, just passing it along.

Packrat
03-19-2014, 09:50 AM

The fact of the matter is Alaska attracts enough high quality candidates for the number of openings that they can afford to be very picky.

Is Best the chief pilot's daughter?

The current CPs kids aren't out of Junior High yet. So, no.

WiltChamberlain
03-19-2014, 01:46 PM
The fact of the matter is Alaska attracts enough high quality candidates for the number of openings that they can afford to be very picky.

The current CPs kids aren't out of Junior High yet. So, no.

Packrat's stalking again...

Packrat
03-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Just call me Aqualung.

Sputnik
03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Here's a stupid question, how do you apply? I don't see anything pilot on their "careers" page.

680crewchief
03-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Here's a stupid question, how do you apply? I don't see anything pilot on their "careers" page.

You apply by getting a current Alaska employee to adopt you and walk you to the front of the line.

doug_or
03-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Once a year or so they open it up for a week or two. Hit refresh, watch these threads, or ask your friends who work there to keep you in the loop.

Sputnik
03-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Thanks, thought it was open for some reason and just couldn't find it.

Sioux115
03-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Maybe fall? I heard it was supposed to reopen right away but as with everything it changed. One more round of 16 interviews in April is my guess. It appears Alaska has an extremely high success rate for interviews which equals less need for a new pool of applicants. Once you get the call they truly want to hire you, you just need to show you fit in.

lpcunity
03-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Any idea if invitations have gone out to potential interview candidates for a possible April interview session?

Packrat
03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
You apply by getting a current Alaska employee to adopt you and walk you to the front of the line.

That's funny. And as they say, "Truth is the basis of all humor."