Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Reserve at Compass

3stripes
12-06-2013, 07:16 AM
How is reserve at Compass? How long are guys looking at waiting to get a line if hired at the moment? Is it possible to commute on reserve without a crashpad? Lots of Airport Ready Reserve? I'd be coming in from ORD and my current airline is stagnant and going nowhere, trying to make the decision on whether to make the leap or not.

Fecking EJet
12-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Would also be interested to hear from a CPZ pilot about commuting to reserve. I live in Chicago, so am hoping to get either DTW or MSP.

JAGflyer
12-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Reserve at Compass is not all that bad. The worst part is that we perform a lot of airport ready reserve. Reserve without a crash pad would be impossible. You just don't fly that much. Expect to be on reserve 12 months or less, all dependent on when you get in.

wayway8
12-06-2013, 10:00 AM
I've read some mention of long call reserve in the new contract. Does anyone have info on this?

pinkpanther
12-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I've read some mention of long call reserve in the new contract. Does anyone have info on this?

Framework was outlined, but language was not written due to the expedited nature of negotiations and implementation of 117. My guess for the start of long call will be around April or May.

Under the new contract, which some parts will be effective Jan and others later, short call reserve will greatly improve. Min day is 4 hr, bid for the first day RAP, 12 days off for 31 day months, and more days off during vacation months. Airport reserve remains unchanged, expect on your last and second to last day of reserve stretch to do airport reserve.

Omnivorous
12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Framework was outlined, but language was not written due to the expedited nature of negotiations and implementation of 117. My guess for the start of long call will be around April or May.

Under the new contract, which some parts will be effective Jan and others later, short call reserve will greatly improve. Min day is 4 hr, bid for the first day RAP, 12 days off for 31 day months, and more days off during vacation months. Airport reserve remains unchanged, expect on your last and second to last day of reserve stretch to do airport reserve.

How will short call improve? I'll be on the line in Feb.

SLpilot
12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Reserve is a silo system based off time flown for the month so seniority is basically thrown out the window once the bid is done. They are pretty efficient at making people fly under min and spreading it out. It's basically a crap shoot as to what flying you get. Under our old contract your self released at 6 pm on the last day but they are usually pretty good letting you go early. Expect ready on your last two days of reserve if not giving flying. It's bearable, scheduling works with you for the most part. I second you'll need a good crashpad if commuting to reserve. If you get hired now in my opinion expect reserve for awhile. A lot of people on the seniority list now. Is what it is

djrogs03
12-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Reserve isn't bad at all at CPZ, albeit I live in base. You won't fly much and when you do, you will usually know 18-24 hours in advance. They usually preassign open time trips around 12-2pm every day for the next day so most of the time you know where you stand. There is a lot of reserve transparency here which is nice. As far as commuting , you can usually email scheduling and let them know you would like to have your reserve day start later in the day if you are coming in. Usually on your last day you will sit AM ready and be done at 2:30 or they will most likely release you after 3pm. If you have no assignments on your last day by 6pm and haven't gotten called your automatically released...

MrMustache
12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Reserve isn't bad at all at CPZ, albeit I live in base. You won't fly much and when you do, you will usually know 18-24 hours in advance. They usually preassign open time trips around 12-2pm every day for the next day so most of the time you know where you stand. There is a lot of reserve transparency here which is nice. As far as commuting , you can usually email scheduling and let them know you would like to have your reserve day start later in the day if you are coming in. Usually on your last day you will sit AM ready and be done at 2:30 or they will most likely release you after 3pm. If you have no assignments on your last day by 6pm and haven't gotten called your automatically released...
If you catch them on a good day they'll release you even earlier even on ready. I used to always catch the 1:00 pm flight home, released at 12:30. Apparently the opentime will be assigned earlier in the day with the new contract too.

3stripes
12-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Would living a four hour drive away work most of the time overnight if I were to fly up to my actual base every day on reserve?

UnusualAttitude
12-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Would living a four hour drive away work most of the time overnight if I were to fly up to my actual base every day on reserve?

The Reserve Availability Periods (RAPs) are 15 hours long. I know a few guys that go back and forth. If you can handle sitting in the crew room 15 hours a day and fly back and forth it is doable. Miserable but doable. I'd still want a crashpad but you can stay in the LaQuinta for $50/night. I think the Courtyard by Marriott is around $57/night but that includes breakfast.

The biggest downside to RSV at CPZ is that crew scheduling will change your RAP period every day so there is little consistency. It typically gets earlier and earlier as the days roll on.

Bright side, you are automatically released at 1800 on your last day. If things are slow scheduling normally approves even earlier release than that.

UA

3stripes
12-07-2013, 05:16 AM
The Reserve Availability Periods (RAPs) are 15 hours long. I know a few guys that go back and forth. If you can handle sitting in the crew room 15 hours a day and fly back and forth it is doable. Miserable but doable. I'd still want a crashpad but you can stay in the LaQuinta for $50/night. I think the Courtyard by Marriott is around $57/night but that includes breakfast.

The biggest downside to RSV at CPZ is that crew scheduling will change your RAP period every day so there is little consistency. It typically gets earlier and earlier as the days roll on.

Bright side, you are automatically released at 1800 on your last day. If things are slow scheduling normally approves even earlier release than that.

UA

Good to know, thank you. Is there any form of pick up window for reserves to pick up open time in advance?

djrogs03
12-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Good to know, thank you. Is there any form of pick up window for reserves to pick up open time in advance?

No, but you can see what's in open time and based off where you are in silo, you can have a good idea if your going to be used...

Example...you are in the 4 day silo with lowest amount of credit amongst the rest of the 4 day silo reserves and there is a 4 day trip in open time...good chances are your going flying

3stripes
12-07-2013, 05:53 AM
No, but you can see what's in open time and based off where you are in silo, you can have a good idea if your going to be used...

Example...you are in the 4 day silo with lowest amount of credit amongst the rest of the 4 day silo reserves and there is a 4 day trip in open time...good chances are your going flying

Excellent. Sounds like reserve is pretty manageable over there. Thanks for answering gentlemen.

Frick
12-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I read earlier you can expect to be on reserve for about a year....any chance that could be going down if hiring continues?

RoughLandings
12-07-2013, 08:51 AM
If you are hired soon, reserve will be short (1-3 months). If you are hired later in the cycle, it will be until the next round of flows, which should be Jan 2015.

Right now, as an FO, you will not work much on reserve. This is because the FO side is overstaffed to accommodate the upgrades and flows with little disruption to operations. However, you can expect things to go back to our standard understaffed situation as soon as the flows leave - this is TSH we are talking about here after all.

On the CA side, we have been understaffed for years. I have been on reserve for the better part of 3 years, and I have only not been used ~25 days total in that time. I expect staffing to go back to that on the FO side before too long. Our flight ops department thinks that if we have just 1 reserve that is not used on any given day, then we are overstaffed...

Aviator89
12-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Is compass still primarily hiring just prior 121?
Im part 91 corporate right now. Single engine mostly, but have 100+ in a King Air350 as SIC/flying empty legs. (cant legally log it though)
What is their multi time minimum? The page on APC says 100 but is that a hard set number? I know with AE if you apply with less that 50 it kicks you out of the online app.
How much weight does a few refferals from current Delta Captains hold? one was a capt for 26 years in the 757/767, and was most senior in the company when he retired last year. The other is in the 757 currently. Got another from an AA 777 capt. but I doubt that would help much since he is in a different airline.

Flying J
12-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Im part 91 corporate right now. Single engine mostly, but have 100+ in a King Air350 as SIC/flying empty legs. (cant legally log it though)
What is their multi time minimum? The page on APC says 100 but is that a hard set number? I know with AE if you apply with less that 50 it kicks you out of the online app.
How much weight does a few refferals from current Delta Captains hold? one was a capt for 26 years in the 757/767, and was most senior in the company when he retired last year. The other is in the 757 currently. Got another from an AA 777 capt. but I doubt that would help much since he is in a different airline.

As people always say, apply and see! If your time isn't legal to log then I'm quite certain you can't count itů They have a lot of applicants so I don't know how flexible they will be with the 100 hours ME unless you know some important people. As far as the LOR go, they definitely can't hurt your cause. Are they as good as knowing someone in the recruiting department? Probably not. But give it a shot. Good luck.

stratman560
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I came from a prior 135/91 background with no 121 and about 4000TT and I know of several others in the same boat. You'll be fine, but im sure the training would go easier for prior-121 types. I had zero referrals, didn't know one soul on property and I got hired. As the people have said prior to me, you won't know unless you apply. My advice to you, would be to get your stuff uploaded now so its on file, then update as you accumulate more time, etc. I was hired before the airlineapp site was being used, so I'm not sure exactly how that's changed the game, but the moral of the story, apply now, apply often, and good luck to you.

As for the commuting to reserve questions go, I would say in my personal experience, commuting your reserve line will be difficult and a crashpad would be necessary until your a lineholder. In my experience, if your lucky, you'll get a late RAP allowing you to commute in on day 1, as previous CP folks have said, between 12-2pm, CS will call you and either give you your trip assignments if you have one, or, most likely, re-adjust your RAP to an earlier period. The third to last day, I usually got a call for a CDO the following evening, which IMO was awesome because you were untouchable after a CDO on your last two days of reserve and you were outta there the following morning. Also, and others have mentioned this, if you keep an eye on flica, you will have a VERY good idea of where you stand with opentime trip assignments and the Low Time, First Out policy in the SILOs keeps things fairly simple so there is plenty of transparency in knowing where you stand with trip assignments on reserve. Good luck to all the new-hires and those of you interviewing. I think you'll enjoy your time here.

MrMustache
12-08-2013, 02:52 PM

As far as the LOR, unless those people know someone I don't think it would make a difference if it was a Commutair FO or a Delta Capt. They had more pull it seemed when CP was wholly owned but I doubt it does now. Still good to have LORs though so don't get me wrong. Apply and see!

An aside, how was he number one on the 75 at 26 years?

7AC2B60
12-08-2013, 03:03 PM
As far as the LOR, unless those people know someone I don't think it would make a difference if it was a Commutair FO or a Delta Capt. They had more pull it seemed when CP was wholly owned but I doubt it does now. Still good to have LORs though so don't get me wrong. Apply and see!

An aside, how was he number one on the 75 at 26 years?

".....capt for 26 years......"

Aviator89
12-08-2013, 05:04 PM
As people always say, apply and see! If your time isn't legal to log then I'm quite certain you can't count itů They have a lot of applicants so I don't know how flexible they will be with the 100 hours ME unless you know some important people. As far as the LOR go, they definitely can't hurt your cause. Are they as good as knowing someone in the recruiting department? Probably not. But give it a shot. Good luck.

Im not logging it, but i can mention the fact that i have been flying a b350 with a captain doing CRM and flying empty legs under his watch. Its worth more than nothing, question is how much. And im no where near meeting the competitive qualifications. S i have lots of time til i actually apply

Aviator89
12-08-2013, 05:09 PM
".....capt for 26 years......"

He was a captain for many years with Northwest, merged and became one of the most senior in the whole company, most senior on the AC certainly. He had mentioned he was a 26 year captain at his retirement. So since he was 39? Might have been is total years as captain also and not in a row on a single AC. But im fairly sure had been on the 757 and 767 most of his career as FO or capt. But he was the most senior or #2 in the company when he retired.

bluelion
12-08-2013, 07:27 PM
What is CDO?

stratman560
12-09-2013, 04:47 AM
CDO=Continuous Duty Overnight, Constantly Dozing Off, High Speed, Standup, whatever you want to call it. IE, a late departure and early morning return where the company cannot give you legal rest in between so they keep you on-duty continuously.....problem solved. Well......for now. But that's another thread.

Most likely, your first few lines off reserve at Compass will be a CDO line. Right now they go very Junior within the company and your still only getting about 11-13 days off depending on how the lines are built.

What is CDO?

coryk
12-09-2013, 04:51 AM
CDO=Continuous Duty Overnight, Constantly Dozing Off, High Speed, Standup, whatever you want to call it. IE, a late departure and early morning return where the company cannot give you legal rest in between so they keep you on-duty continuously.....problem solved. Well......for now. But that's another thread.

Most likely, your first few lines off reserve at Compass will be a CDO line. Right now they go very Junior within the company and your still only getting about 11-13 days off depending on how the lines are built.

Do the new 117 rules allow CDO's? Never even crossed my mind.

LostInPA
12-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Do the new 117 rules allow CDO's? Never even crossed my mind.

Yes, 117 allows CDO's with some limits. No more than 14 hours from beginning to end, and crew must be given at least a 3 hour rest break. Additionally, no extensions to the FDP are permitted.

That's a greatly oversimplified summary of the ALPA FAR117 guide on the topic, but the long answer to your short question is yes.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1