Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SkyWest domiciles

ASA514
01-14-2014, 05:40 AM
what are the current SkyWest pilot bases? How likely to get SEA, PDX, or PHX? thanks

MatchPoint
01-14-2014, 06:18 AM
what are the current SkyWest pilot bases? How likely to get SEA, PDX, or PHX? thanksSee the SkyWest APC page for domiciles, there are just to many to list here.

Your only chance at PDX is on the Bro. The most JR EMB FO in PDX was hired 6 months ago and since this new pay package locks both aircraft into the same pay for years 1 & 2 ($22 & $37.15 respectively) might as well take the Bro for the shorter commute. Plus you'll get to fly the aircraft that will more than likely offer you your first upgrade. You'll also hold a line much quicker on the Bro which will result in more money and better QOL. Then after 2 years revisit the transition (EMB -> CRJ) and by then you should be close to holding a west-coast domicile and possibly a line.

On the Jet it's not going to happen for years. The most JR RJ FO in PDX was hire almost 3 years ago, SEA around 6 years ago and PHX the most JR FOs been hear 2.5 years+. DENs about as good as you can hope for if you're looking for a west coast domicile but you might be able to find you're way into LAX by the end of your first year. I'm sure many of our FOs will give you a better understanding but for now plan on an east commute.

My advice, take the Bro and you'll spend a lot less time being a RSV grunt. You'll hold a line much quicker on the E-120 and since both aircraft pay the same you'll earn far more $$ and have more time off as well as control over your life than you would on the jet.

Good luck.

Frick
01-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Would you say ORD or MSP would be possible within the first year for a new hire?

MatchPoint
01-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Both are very possible right out training, IAH & DEN are possible as well. Every month it changes but if you don't get it in training you'll get it soon afterwards.

Frick
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Cool. Thanks. Do you know which aircraft are based out of ORD and MSP?

flight81
01-14-2014, 06:51 AM
I was hired only a few months ago into the BRO and am already bidding 50%. Only spent 2 months on reserve and both were on Long call. Take the BRO if you want to hold a line.

Frick
01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Is the BRO in ORD or MSP? Those 2 would be a fairly easy commute for me

3GirthUnits
01-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Is the BRO in ORD or MSP? Those 2 would be a fairly easy commute for me

No, ORD and MSP are CRJ only domiciles.

RedOverWhite
01-14-2014, 07:26 AM
what are the current SkyWest pilot bases? How likely to get SEA, PDX, or PHX? thanks

Guess that answers the question of "I wonder if anyone else is filling out job applications this morning."

MatchPoint
01-14-2014, 09:51 AM
I should have asked this earlier, it would of help when answering the questions, but where do you commute from and do you have a class?

3stripes
01-14-2014, 09:55 AM
I see the 175s are headed to ORD. Will this mean the CRJ base closes there? Are FOs allowed to bid over from the CRJ to 175 in order to stay in base? If I make the jump I want to be ORD based, but don't want to get displaced to another base if the 175 takes over.

Slats
01-14-2014, 10:10 AM
I see the 175s are headed to ORD. Will this mean the CRJ base closes there? Are FOs allowed to bid over from the CRJ to 175 in order to stay in base? If I make the jump I want to be ORD based, but don't want to get displaced to another base if the 175 takes over.

Ord will/is a CRJ and 175 base. Don't worry about getting displaced anytime soon

Bill Tetley
01-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Bear w/ me...just getting into this...w t f is a "BRO"?

Hercguy
01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
EMB120...I think.

grkero
01-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Bro = Brasilia (EMB120) as stated above

sandrich
01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Anyone know when Skywest plans on hiring/training for the 175, if they haven't already? They only giving it to guys on property? I'm an east coast guy, so ORD is as close as it gets...

Jet87
01-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Anyone know when Skywest plans on hiring/training for the 175, if they haven't already? They only giving it to guys on property? I'm an east coast guy, so ORD is as close as it gets...

You'll have to go to ORD or MSP/IAH in the CRJ. There are no plans to give the ERJ to new hires

Surprise
01-17-2014, 08:59 PM
You'll have to go to ORD or MSP/IAH in the CRJ. There are no plans to give the ERJ to new hires

I've claimed before, and I'll claim again: you'll see new hires on the 175 by the end of the year.

Of course, I've been wrong before. Just one time. To see how it felt.

rcfd13
01-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I've claimed before, and I'll claim again: you'll see new hires on the 175 by the end of the year.

Of course, I've been wrong before. Just one time. To see how it felt.

Why do you say that? If this pay vote passes it will be the highest paying airplane at OO. People have been calling for BHO to end for a while. I think it's going to go senior for a while before new hires get on it. I would have been senior enough to have gotten it awarded as an FO in both of the bids they've had so far but I passed it up. If the pay scale is set as they propose it I'm going to bid it. I'm sure other people are thinking the same thing.

The only reason I could see it going a little bit junior is the proposed 2 year seat lock. If I were a more senior FO and close to upgrade I wouldn't want to seat lock myself for two years. With our upgrade time sitting at 8 years though I think there are plenty of FOs willing to fill 175 classes for the rest of this year before it goes to a new hire.

Paid2fly
01-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Why do you say that? If this pay vote passes it will be the highest paying airplane at OO. People have been calling for BHO to end for a while. I think it's going to go senior for a while before new hires get on it. I would have been senior enough to have gotten it awarded as an FO in both of the bids they've had so far but I passed it up. If the pay scale is set as they propose it I'm going to bid it. I'm sure other people are thinking the same thing.

The only reason I could see it going a little bit junior is the proposed 2 year seat lock. If I were a more senior FO and close to upgrade I wouldn't want to seat lock myself for two years. With our upgrade time sitting at 8 years though I think there are plenty of FOs willing to fill 175 classes for the rest of this year before it goes to a new hire.

You sound like you're a yes voter?

rcfd13
01-17-2014, 10:06 PM
You sound like you're a yes voter?

I'm still undecided, mostly because I've been on vacation since the proposal came out and haven't had time to read through the proposal or any forum posts. I get home tomorrow and I'm going to try to sort it all out.

There was no hidden meaning to my post above. I was just saying that if the pay rate is set at 106.4% 200 rate with no BHO I think it will go senior because almost everyone would stand to get a pay raise by bidding it unless they're senior enough to hold all 900 trips. It will be years before I'm senior enough for that so I would probably bid it for the pay raise. I didn't bid it the first time around because there was no pay rate set and way too many unknowns. I wasn't comfortable taking that risk.

weasil
01-18-2014, 03:01 AM
Based on current bids new hires will get the E175 later this year. There are only 2 FO's with transition bids in who do not have a seat lock. Bids may change of course but that's how it looks at the moment.

rcfd13
01-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Based on current bids new hires will get the E175 later this year. There are only 2 FO's with transition bids in who do not have a seat lock. Bids may change of course but that's how it looks at the moment.

That's because there's no pay scale and no information about seat locks, flight benefits or trips. I'll bid it once that information is finalized. I'm sure a lot of other people will too.

rickair7777
01-18-2014, 07:58 AM
I was hired only a few months ago into the BRO and am already bidding 50%. Only spent 2 months on reserve and both were on Long call. Take the BRO if you want to hold a line.

This seniority paradigm might not hold up so well in the future if the new package passes the pilot vote (it likely will pass, but we'll know by 31 Jan).

Since the package significantly increases both FO seat-lock and pay, there's a good chance that most Bro FO's will just stay on that thing and wait for the quicker upgrade.

I think Bro FO is going to change from being SKW bootcamp for CFIs to being a small niche group of professional Bro drivers.

Paid2fly
01-18-2014, 05:37 PM
This seniority paradigm might not hold up so well in the future if the new package passes the pilot vote (it likely will pass, but we'll know by 31 Jan).

Since the package significantly increases both FO seat-lock and pay, there's a good chance that most Bro FO's will just stay on that thing and wait for the quicker upgrade.

I think Bro FO is going to change from being SKW bootcamp for CFIs to being a small niche group of professional Bro drivers.

Please vote no, this pathetic offer is a pay freeze for the vast majority, and really means going backwards since the price we pay for everything has only been going up.