Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Newhire mentoring

Sliceback
02-21-2014, 11:48 AM
APA has a program setup. Some guys have friends and can get help with the dozens of little things that come up. If not you can contact a mentor(they should contact you first) to have a POC for issues or questions that pop up.

The list is endless. The only stupid question is the question not asked. Everyone's been an FNG at some point and most guys are more than willing to help.

Example - newhire didn't bid. Got contacted and told "you were assigned XYZ reserve next month". Oops, did I screw up? Nah, it happens. No big deal.

Guy didn't know about parking passes.

How to list for deadheads.

Can I jumpseat?

How do I jumpseat?

How do I non-rev?

Training support from union volunteers.

Training support from the company.

Professional standards intervention during training. Newhire was done a bad deal. He thought he had to 'accept' the issue (new guy - ie shut up and deal with it). Wrong. Wrong is wrong. You do not have to put up with unprofessional conduct even if you're the lowest guy on property. He happened to mention it to me and it was pushed up the chain of command. Resolved.

Do I have to check out of my hotel on my days off?

What do I say to the Captain if he doesn't buy the beer? (OK, I made that one up).

Al Czervik
02-22-2014, 05:34 AM
The US Airways side of the house has this as well. I was contacted soon after hitting the line by a peer pilot. Real great guy… said the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. The new hires on the Airways side have really done a great job of helping the even newer guys/gals out as well. Nice to see these things happening.

The Waco Kid
02-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks to both of you for letting all of us new hires know that there is a mentoring program.

With that being said….

-Do new hires pay for their own uniforms? If so, payroll deductible?
-Can you give the 'quick and dirty' on airport employee parking passes and how they work at satellite/co-terminals i.e. will we get passes for EWR, LGA and JFK for NYC base?
-I know the B-plan is currently at 16%. Does AA match any portion of your own $$ that is put into the 401k? Is there a Roth 401k option?
-It's my understanding (from a previous thread) that you bid for aircraft based on your age (oldest to youngest) within your new hire class but then your ACTUAL SYSTEM SENIORITY for the remainder of your career at American Airlines is determined by who completes training first. Can you please confirm this.

Thanks very much for your time.

Kid

aapilotguy
02-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Thanks to both of you for letting all of us new hires know that there is a mentoring program.

With that being said….

Yes we had to pay for our own uniforms. I believe it is payroll deductible.

-Can you give the 'quick and dirty' on airport employee parking passes and how they work at satellite/co-terminals i.e. will we get passes for EWR, LGA and JFK for NYC base?
I got awarded 320/LGA, but all of our flying is out of JFK for the time being, so we only get a parking pass for JFK. The folks at JFK said you will only get a pass for an airport if you operate out of that airport.

-I know the B-plan is currently at 16%. Does AA match any portion of your own $$ that is put into the 401k? Is there a Roth 401k option?
As far as I know it is only the 16% contribution from AA, no match. And we get that after 1 year of service. There is a Roth option.

-It's my understanding (from a previous thread) that you bid for aircraft based on your age (oldest to youngest) within your new hire class but then your ACTUAL SYSTEM SENIORITY for the remainder of your career at American Airlines is determined by who completes training first. Can you please confirm this.
I can confirm this, except that it goes by your expected completion date for training. I was the youngest guy in my class and expected to be the most junior until they explained how the process works. When they came to assign aircraft/bases to my class, several guys older than me elected to choose S80 DFW or 767 MIA and I was left with 320 LGA which had an expected completion date that was sooner. So I gained about 8 numbers in seniority.

Kid

The Waco Kid
02-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info, pilotguy. Please check PM when able.

Pirate
02-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Can someone explain what is meant by AA Grp I/II/III/IV Capt?

aapilotguy
02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is the equipment grouping for the pay rates. If it's not that, then I don't know or haven't heard about it yet.

Sliceback
02-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Pay groups

IV - 330, 350, 777, 787
III - 757, 767
II - S80, 737, A319/320/321
I - E190 and smaller

Contract has more jets but that's the current fleet breakdown.

Pirate
02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Pay groups

IV - 330, 350, 777, 787
III - 757, 767
II - S80, 737, A319/320/321
I - E190 and smaller

Contract has more jets but that's the current fleet breakdown.

Thanks!

Yeah, I see this site on the AA profile page has an A380 pay scale. When's that coming?!

They also changed the min guarantee to east, west, short, long, reserve, etc. Is this accurate for the AA new hires or a hold over from the US pay scale merge they did awhile back?

aapilotguy
02-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, I see this site on the AA profile page has an A380 pay scale. When's that coming?!

They also changed the min guarantee to east, west, short, long, reserve, etc. Is this accurate for the AA new hires or a hold over from the US pay scale merge they did awhile back?

Yea I'll start the A380 rumors when I hit the line!

Our guarantee is 73hrs/month for reserve and training, not sure if it's the same on the US side.

Pirate
02-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Yea I'll start the A380 rumors when I hit the line!

Our guarantee is 73hrs/month for reserve and training, not sure if it's the same on the US side.

HaHa!

Thanks, aapilotguy.

EMBFlyer
02-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Our training guarantee is 85 hours. Long call reserve is 72 hours, short is 76. It'll stay that way until we get PBS sometime next year.

Pirate
02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Our training guarantee is 85 hours. Long call reserve is 72 hours, short is 76. It'll stay that way until we get PBS sometime next year.

Even better! I hope your right about the training pay, for sure, but are you sure that's right on the AA side? I thought "short" and "long" call were a US thing.

EMBFlyer
02-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Even better! I hope your right about the training pay, for sure, but are you sure that's right on the AA side? I thought "short" and "long" call were a US thing.

My apologies for the confusion, that was for the US side. I thought someone had asked about it the US side.

bluelion
02-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Ok...so does anybody know for sure what the training pay is for AA, and is it true you have to wait one year before you can get the direct 401k contributions?

Pirate
02-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Ok...so does anybody know for sure what the training pay is for AA, and is it true you have to wait one year before you can get the direct 401k contributions?

aapilotguy says 73hrs/mo training & reserve, no distinction. Would be nice to have the US 85 hrs in training! And, that is what I've read/heard from multiple sources about the B plan, that it starts after the 1st year. Disappointing.

Scoop
02-24-2014, 06:47 AM
The new hire mentor program is now an FAA requirement and all airlines should have a program or be developing one. The FAA was not very specific and and gives the airlines a lot of latitude with the programs.

DAL has 50 new-hire mentors who have all been to Atlanta for a two-day mentor training class. Not sure if any other airline is so formal with the mentoring program.

Scoop

Sliceback
02-24-2014, 07:10 AM
73 hrs @ $40.

Paid monthly for the month you're in.

After probation pay lags a month. June flying paid in late July. So the transition from probation to regular pay causes a gap in pay of approx. 1 month. Bad deal. Good deal is that after you retire you get a paycheck a month later and by then your wife has probably forgotten about it. ;-)

I wouldn't lose sleep over understanding the pay lag issue before getting hired. Twelve months of property to figure it out.

aapilotguy
02-24-2014, 07:40 AM

Training pay is 73hrs @ $40 and you need 1 year of service before the 16% DC kicks in.

Waggs
08-11-2014, 11:34 AM

With that being said….

Kid

Question about uniforms on the US side. What vendors do people use? I understand there is/might be "new American" uniforms in the near future. Is there a time table for that? I'm trying to figure out if any parts of my current uniform can be recycled for US (shirts, pants mainly, maybe the jacket). I'd like to avoid shelling out for a brand new set of full uniforms for them to get tossed in the garbage in 3/6/12? months when the new ones come out.

Thanks for any info.

Metal Tube
08-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Question about uniforms on the US side. What vendors do people use? I understand there is/might be "new American" uniforms in the near future. Is there a time table for that? I'm trying to figure out if any parts of my current uniform can be recycled for US (shirts, pants mainly, maybe the jacket). I'd like to avoid shelling out for a brand new set of full uniforms for them to get tossed in the garbage in 3/6/12? months when the new ones come out.

Thanks for any info.

US uses M and H Uniforms. They are black and come in two different weights and corresponding shades. Go with tropical, plenty of warmth. White shirts, no wings and no post holes for wings permitted. New uniforms supposedly will still have white shirts, wings, and an updated blue color perhaps as late as 2016.

FreighterGuyNow
08-12-2014, 08:13 AM
aapilotguy says 73hrs/mo training & reserve, no distinction. Would be nice to have the US 85 hrs in training! And, that is what I've read/heard from multiple sources about the B plan, that it starts after the 1st year. Disappointing.

A 12 month wait for 401(k) is common. I had the same in a non airline job.

Islandtime
08-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Not sure if I understand what's being said, but if it helps I know as of January this year the 16% company 401k contribution starts on day one, at least on the US side of the equation

JumpersAway79
08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
The 401K on the USAirways side starts on day 1 of indoc, it you decide to contribute. I'm glad I got it spooled up.

As for the 16% contribution- that starts on day 1 as well. The company adds 16% of your paycheck and deposits it, automatically, into a retirement savings account. To be clear- this is on top of your paycheck, and is not deducted from it. Great plan and the company can not take it away from you in the future like a pension.

Cheddar
08-20-2014, 05:23 AM
The 401K on the USAirways side starts on day 1 of indoc, it you decide to contribute. I'm glad I got it spooled up.

As for the 16% contribution- that starts on day 1 as well. The company adds 16% of your paycheck and deposits it, automatically, into a retirement savings account. To be clear- this is on top of your paycheck, and is not deducted from it. Great plan and the company can not take it away from you in the future like a pension.

Will the JCBA make this uniform with the Legacy AA side, to include DOH as your yearly pay increase v. the current occupational pay date?

jcountry
08-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Anyone know if they still do the new hire dinner for those hired on the Airways side?

-If so, is it before or during indoc?

strikeagledrivr
08-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Anyone know if they still do the new hire dinner for those hired on the Airways side?

Oh yeah. It's at the In and Out burger across from the Indoc motel 6....you & the company go Dutch.

Wait...that's the old way....I don't know post merger....

redthread
08-24-2014, 11:34 AM

-If so, is it before or during indoc?

Second night of indoc - dinner for all combined new hires at the Hyatt.

ABQAV8R
08-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Not sure if I understand what's being said, but if it helps I know as of January this year the 16% company 401k contribution starts on day one, at least on the US side of the equation

If you are the US side of the equation, keep in mind that contributions (both yours and company) start day one if you go east, but it's a 90 day wait if you come to PHX. At least that is how it was for those of us in the March 24th class.

jcountry
08-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the insights!

Anyone hear what the plan is for the E190s? I heard they were thinking about getting rid of some of them..... Just a rumor as far as I can tell.

FreighterGuyNow
08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Nope. Steady as she goes for the 190.

jcountry
08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
My source for that rumor sounds sketchy. Probably nothing to it.

flybywire44
08-27-2014, 03:33 PM
NewAA, needs the e190 to compete. It's the I filled nitch in the industry. I believe newAA, is delaying an announcement until post-JCBA. newAA wants to scope these out, but APA and USAPA claim to want to bring all 76 flying back in house.

There are currently no e190s to be had. The entire world wants them.

PurpleTurtle
08-27-2014, 03:39 PM
And the 190 pay rates are LOA 93....

PurpleTurtle
08-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah. It's at the In and Out burger across from the Indoc motel 6....you & the company go Dutch.

Wait...that's the old way....I don't know post merger....

Not sure about the new motels for training, but crew overnights are often in the Ramada, Days Inn, or the Crowne Plaza in the hood. Some of the hotels are good but in most of them I am paranoid about bed bugs and sheet sets that only changed once a week (if that often).

jcountry
09-03-2014, 11:10 AM
So, I'm hearing that the E190 is flying shuttle routes now.

I hear seniority is moving fast, and I see that the most junior upgrade is about 1.5 years.

Looks like when you upgrade, you make first year pay for the rest of your first year as captain.

Any intel on what those E190 schedules are like compared to the bus (length of trips, time until you can hold a line, etc?)

Sure would be great to find out more about E190 QOL vs the airbus. I'm seeing very little intel online.

thx!

inline five
09-03-2014, 11:18 AM

I hear seniority is moving fast, and I see that the most junior upgrade is about 1.5 years.

Looks like when you upgrade, you make first year pay for the rest of your first year as captain.

Any intel on what those E190 schedules are like compared to the bus (length of trips, time until you can hold a line, etc?)

Sure would be great to find out more about E190 QOL vs the airbus. I'm seeing very little intel online.

thx!

Just go Wings and download the bid sheets.

Or look at open time trips via CATCREW. Tab to the trip and type "s" and hit enter. It will display the sequence.

Or, just know that it sucks. If you flew for a commuter, transplant your schedules but instead with the 190 vs. the RJ. Think 6 leg days. I don't think I've done a single 4 day that has had more than 6 legs total on the 320.

I would guess you can get a line faster on the 190 but guys are being held on it so they can't transition to the AB. There is still quite a bit of movement in PHL on the AB.

adam28
09-03-2014, 11:40 AM

thx!

The 190 trips were worse than most of my regional schedules. I've done an 18 leg 4 day, and you only see BOS and LGA. The AB trips are a lot better of course, lots of different cities at downtown locations. I sat reserve for 6 months on the 190. Got held for like 2 months before AB training and held a secondary as soon as I finished OE. If your thinking AB vs. 190 I would just bid AB unless you like training. I only sat long call on the 190 and it wasn't that bad unless you got transitioned to short call.

Surprise
09-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Based on the last few bids, you could comfortably be off of reserve on the 190 after only 2-3 months. That's only on paper, though, and doesn't reflect the reality that the senior 190 guys aren't getting to train on their new aircraft as quickly as the junior guys would probably like.

viper548
09-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Holding a line on the 190 is looking like 2 months on paper and 6 months in practice because of the holdbacks. I'm about 40 numbers higher on the monthly bid than I am on the Oct bid award

PRS Guitars
09-03-2014, 06:16 PM

thx!
Yes, mostly shuttle flying, but I like that. I have a 1 hour bladder, so it works out perfectly for me. Also, I'm used to flying 1 hour sorties and enjoy flying to BOS, LGA and DCA. As for movement, I'm consistently 25 or so numbers worse in reality vs on the permanent bids. Here is how it has worked out.

6 weeks training in PHX/CLT
About three weeks for OE (including time off)

2 months short call
2 months long call
2 months secondary (got good lines both times, and good to me is days off not hours when I'm making only $40 per hour)

--Primary line with a few below me (but still awarded one of my top 30 lines, all same day commutable on both ends, though I'm conservative and fly out the night before).

So, from DOH, about 6 months to a secondary, 8 to a primary. My DCA and CLT classmates were on short call reserve my first month holding a primary. And my PHL AB classmates were on Long call reserve at that time.

jcountry
09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Just curious about something else:

I have already done the new hire appointment (fingerprints, drug test, etc.)

Wondering what happens next. I understand that they are sending out a Fedex package (which I guess must have all the info and arrangements for class.)

Anyone remember how far in advance of class they got the package?

Just curious as to when I should expect something like that.

thx!

LIOG41
09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Yes, mostly shuttle flying, but I like that. I have a 1 hour bladder, so it works out perfectly for me. Also, I'm used to flying 1 hour sorties and enjoy flying to BOS, LGA and DCA. As for movement, I'm consistently 25 or so numbers worse in reality vs on the permanent bids. Here is how it has worked out.

6 weeks training in PHX/CLT
About three weeks for OE (including time off)

2 months short call
2 months long call
2 months secondary (got good lines both times, and good to me is days off not hours when I'm making only $40 per hour)

--Primary line with a few below me (but still awarded one of my top 30 lines, all same day commutable on both ends, though I'm conservative and fly out the night before).

So, from DOH, about 6 months to a secondary, 8 to a primary. My DCA and CLT classmates were on short call reserve my first month holding a primary. And my PHL AB classmates were on Long call reserve at that time.

At a legacy airline you like 4-5 legs PER day over a four day trip in the busiest most congested airports while waiting 30-60 min for flow on the ground for each leg with **** weather and too much chatter on the radio, not to mention a cramped cockpit, and extremely uncomfortable seats? No wonder so many people are calling in fatigued these days for the shuttle 190 flying. The 5 leg days need to stop.

DCA A321 FO
09-08-2014, 04:48 PM
At a legacy airline you like 4-5 legs PER day over a four day trip in the busiest most congested airports while waiting 30-60 min for flow on the ground for each leg with **** weather and too much chatter on the radio, not to mention a cramped cockpit, and extremely uncomfortable seats? No wonder so many people are calling in fatigued these days for the shuttle 190 flying. The 5 leg days need to stop.

Cannot speak for the 190 but 5 legs on the AB was easy and fun out of DCA and a money maker.

We had good BOS and LGA layovers back in the day.

Skubajet
09-08-2014, 04:57 PM

thx!

After 7-8 months on the 190, I was getting 16-17 days off each month plus all weekends off...

PRS Guitars
09-08-2014, 05:46 PM
When you put it that way...it does sound kind of bad...

Really though, I like it because I'm new to the airline industry. I don't really know anything different yet. I wanted to do some tough flying my first year to learn and see what it's like. I will be jumping to the AB in year two, but mainly due to pay.

DCA A321 FO
09-08-2014, 06:04 PM
If some of you guys don't like doing the River Visual 3 times a day there is something wrong with you.

izzy
09-08-2014, 07:28 PM
If some of you guys don't like doing the River Visual 3 times a day there is something wrong with you.
Maybe if I could do it three times a day a could finally do it right again:-) I did it fairly regularly on the 757 over a decade ago, and could do a respectable job. Since being on the bus I've done it once in a blue moon and usually look like a monkey with his football.

DCA A321 FO
09-09-2014, 02:31 AM
I never got tired of seeing the monuments and the Pentagon.

3X DME, 400 AGL over the bridge, hard right turn, wave to soccer guys, go for undershoot always worked.

FreighterGuyNow
09-09-2014, 04:57 AM

There is nothing I want to do 3 times a day :)

Sliceback
09-09-2014, 04:58 AM
River Visual, Expressway Visual, River Visual, Expressway Visual.... some of the best airline flying there is.

shrtaprch
09-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Any idea when the Medical ins. kicks in? Is it day one...or first day of the following month?

Bad-Andy
09-15-2014, 04:45 AM
There is nothing I want to do 3 times a day :)

I don't know, I could think of one thing... ;)

Pilot X
09-15-2014, 04:58 AM
I don't know, I could think of one thing... ;)

It doesn't count by yourself :D