Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Chicago next for Emirates

Kapitanleutnant
02-24-2014, 05:55 AM
Emirates Airline confirms Chicago flights from August | The National (http://www.thenational.ae/business/industry-insights/aviation/emirates-airline-confirms-chicago-flights-from-august)

Skyone
02-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Great, probably another airport hotel. Question will be whether or not it will be a 24+ layover or 48+ hours. This one will be a toss up.

Kapitanleutnant
02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Thinking the same thing Skyone…

Also wondering how the EK guys will do with a not so forgiving O'Hare ground and approach control when they stop for 8 minutes on a main taxiway to redo takeoff data…. or when told to fly 180 knots, they instead fly at 192 in order to save a pint of fuel. Or when cleared to descend to 240, interpreting it as they can do it at their discretion when it clearly was not "at pilot's discretion".

K

The Dominican
02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
All of that will be corrected by the friendly staff of the Chicago ATC center...!

captjns
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Thinking the same thing Skyone…

Also wondering how the EK guys will do with a not so forgiving O'Hare ground and approach control when they stop for 8 minutes on a main taxiway to redo takeoff data…. or when told to fly 180 knots, they instead fly at 192 in order to save a pint of fuel. Or when cleared to descend to 240, interpreting it as they can do it at their discretion when it clearly was not "at pilot's discretion".

K

I guess you don't get out very much.

All EK has to do like the rest of us... ask if they can maintain a requested speed. I've never had ATC say negative for the extra 10 to 15 knots. At the end of the day, if the request is denied then what the heck.

Takeoff Data??? Ask the pros from American in Miami during the big evening push.

As far as descent is concerned... simple question.... Now?

Not to worry K, EK pilots from all over the world have flown in far worse corners of the world than ORD.

EK cabin crew a... a far better bunch to hang with than well, you may get the picture... but then again not as EK crews layover at better hotels than US carriers, in most cases that is.

Kapitanleutnant
02-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Hey CaptJns

Something tells me you've not been to nor operated into and out of ORD. Rushhour there is amazingly busy on one hand but amazingly well run by ATC on the other as they "keep jets moving".

My point that you misunderstood was that the guys at EK DON'T ask if they can wait 30 more miles before starting to descend…. they just think they can do it when the little green dot tells 'em it's time to go down.

Takeoff Data in MIA? My colleagues have mentioned to me they get an ACARS message on taxi out with all their takeoff data info and it which includes about 3 or 4 different runways as well…. not stopping the show needed for them! I guess the only thing they'd have to delay for would be not getting the ACARS info…??

Speed control… Again, you've probably NOT operated into or out of ORD but it is not like most other places in regards to how tightly they run that ship…. you just cannot maintain 190 when they say 180. And yes the few times I have operated there I did hear one guy get chewed out on ATC for not doing the exact speed as assigned.

ORD at rush hour is like nothing most have ever seen….

Just my two cents.

Kap

captjns
02-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Hey CaptJns

Something tells me you've not been to nor operated into and out of ORD. Rushhour there is amazingly busy on one hand but amazingly well run by ATC on the other as they "keep jets moving".

My point that you misunderstood was that the guys at EK DON'T ask if they can wait 30 more miles before starting to descend…. they just think they can do it when the little green dot tells 'em it's time to go down.

Takeoff Data in MIA? My colleagues have mentioned to me they get an ACARS message on taxi out with all their takeoff data info and it which includes about 3 or 4 different runways as well…. not stopping the show needed for them! I guess the only thing they'd have to delay for would be not getting the ACARS info…??

Speed control… Again, you've probably NOT operated into or out of ORD but it is not like most other places in regards to how tightly they run that ship…. you just cannot maintain 190 when they say 180. And yes the few times I have operated there I did hear one guy get chewed out on ATC for not doing the exact speed as assigned.

ORD at rush hour is like nothing most have ever seen….

Just my two cents.

Kap

Yeah... I been in and out of every major hub airport in the US since 1978 when there were lots of airlines around... Pre and Post ATC Strike, and what not. But yeah.... ORD has never been an issue for me... and I'll wager that my colleagues I've flown with in previous lives who are now with EK, EY, QR will not be faced with any dramas as you so portend.

DCA A321 FO
02-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Hey Kap,

What's your hangup with EK pilots? I almost went there (too far away) but I like strip clubs.

Varmint
03-02-2014, 02:07 AM
Hey Kap,

What's your hangup with EK pilots? I almost went there (too far away) but I like strip clubs.

I don't think Kap has a hangup, he is absolutely correct in what he says. Many of the guys employed here are "special". It's undetermined if their "special-ness" is self-induced or is a result of a poor training department (Australian influence/prison colony rules) which tends to cause fear of ones' own shadow in certain individuals.

49er
03-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Hey Kap,

He's one of us. It's okay. He knows what he is talking about.

Truth is, he likes strip clubs too. :cool:

Most US ATCO's handle us with kid gloves when it comes to radar vectoring to final. IAH, DFW, SEA, LAX, IAD... we always get extra separation cause guys are usually high and fast. Most EK pilots I fly with when going to the states try and fly a CDA. It just doesn't work in the US and we usually lose our spot or get forced down with an expedite clearance.

When it's my leg in, I'll brief why I'm going to be low on descent profile and it works out perfectly for the base turn. You couldn't fly like that at most of the other places we fly, so muscle memory gets the best of our pilots. They try to stay on profile in the states like they would in Gatwick. Chicago will be no different and Kap is right. We are gonna annoy $h!t out of the ORD approach controllers with our energy management and stabilization requirements.

EYBusdriver
03-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Agree with 49er, at EY we are constantly "reminded" to fly CDA by the company but in some of the high density areas you just got to get down. I brief to use the three times height plus ten to distance formula because if you use the FMS profile for the STAR you will get high and fast on profile. I preferred to be pilot monitoring in to the US as some of our f/o's are not up to speed dealing with US ATC but now we are required to do the leg into JFK, IAD and ORD hence some of the difficulties with the PM on the radio.

ShyGuy
03-02-2014, 11:38 AM
but now we are required to do the leg into JFK, IAD and ORD hence some of the difficulties with the PM on the radio.
EY forces the PF to be the CA for landing at JFK, IAD, and ORD?

EYBusdriver
03-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Yes..Certain airports are so designated.

the turtle
03-07-2014, 10:30 PM
personally I can't wait to get back to a properly-run insane asylum

I miss ORD ATL LAX

I'll be laughing to myself as the other three boys see the TCAS of ORD plus MDW underneath.....and the CCI page should be fantastic

Now the real question is.......is the penalty box big enough for a 777???

Skyone
03-07-2014, 10:55 PM

I miss ORD ATL LAX

I'll be laughing to myself as the other three boys see the TCAS of ORD plus MDW underneath.....and the CCI page should be fantastic

You got that right. Even when flying in the US I avoided ORD since I wouldn't fly into there that much. If I got it on a bid for a month, everything fell into place. But flying into there just a few time a year, Kap is right on. I do enjoying watching guys fly into these places trying to do the CDA. Always they have to [email protected]#k themselves. Had one guy freak on me going into SEA because we got a "traffic, traffic". Fun times.:eek:

pilotrob23
03-07-2014, 11:13 PM

I miss ORD ATL LAX

I can't wait to read the CCI as well. Such as, "If you land at the same time AeroMexico does, be prepared to just stop. Wait for them and ground control to complete their taxi instructions, and until they set their parking brake at the gate, be prepared to then taxi as instructed."

WHACKMASTER
03-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Funny stuff, but what's a CCI?

WHACKMASTER
03-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Btw, I wish I was doing your kind of flying. It's a little more mentally stimulating than SWA flying.

pilotrob23
03-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Funny stuff, but what's a CCI?

Hey Whack
They are notes written by pilots, for pilots. With all the destinations and places we fly, we have a few pages with every airport that describe different threats. It could be people or dogs on the runway, English is poor, or be prepared for this arrival for this runway. Especially if you have never been to a destination, or it has been six months and need a refresher. It does capture threats, and helps to become familiar with certain areas.

Southwest is a good place to be. Always wanted to go, but I enjoy this type of flying, which I never expected in my wildest dreams. Cheers.

PILOTGUY
03-08-2014, 12:32 AM
I prefer to be the PF into JFK as some of our CA's are not up to speed with handling JFK.
Speeds, altitudes, descents??? Really? Why do people TRY and make this job hard?!!! Do it, ask for something different, or tell them unable.
If the hotel is at the airport, they have a train that will take you all over town cheaply and easily.

captjns
03-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Btw, I wish I was doing your kind of flying. It's a little more mentally stimulating than SWA flying.

Long haul flying is highly over rated. I'm glad to fly a Jet that has to land about 5:45 in the sky, knowing there's a glass of cognac and breadstick in my immediate future.

I don't know what the big deal or crisis is operating in and out of JFK, ORD, LAX, HOU, DFW, NRT, DXB, AHU, LHR, FRA, to name a few. I guess after 35+ years of this airline stuff, one becomes immune to the so-called sense of urgency. Just do what ATC wants, or tell them you're unable. It's never been a crisis or ordeal.

The 10-1 Jeppy charts, and some ATIS's provide required speed control during the arrival and terminal phase of flight. When on the heavies, I advise ATC if unable to comply with the charted speed control. Most plan accordingly, and well some give turns left and right to keep the spacing as they need it.

tomgoodman
03-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Anybody remember calling for taxi at ORD before they had the "canned" routes? Something like: "Taxi 22L via Inner, Wedge, Outer, Branch, Cargo, Parallel, hold short of 27L."
And they expected you to acknowledge but no readback. :eek:

RemoveB4flght
03-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Recently did some unexpected airport appreciation, and while relaxing in the comforts of the briefing room, overheard a crew of my colleagues discussing ORD and the young FO asking why it's 'captains only' ops. "it's just too challenging of an airport, you want to have a few more years experience first.. yadda yadda.."

I have been converting my logbooks to electronic gradually, so i pulled out my first one and showed them day 1 of trip 1 in my airline career. Eight leg day out of ORD. Their response was priceless:

"The captain must have been really tried from flying all those sectors!"

atooraya
03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
This may be a silly question to post in here but it's on the front page.

Does anyone know if you're flown economy or business class to the interview?

pilotrob23
03-12-2014, 02:46 AM
This may be a silly question to post in here but it's on the front page.

Does anyone know if you're flown economy or business class to the interview?

I flew business out for the interview, but that was a couple years ago. The wife flew out in economy, which I still get in trouble even today. ;)

atooraya
03-12-2014, 07:12 AM
I flew business out for the interview, but that was a couple years ago. The wife flew out in economy, which I still get in trouble even today. ;)

Its a 14 hour flight, I'd hope so :o

How did you verify your logbooks btw?

Timbo
03-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Anybody remember calling for taxi at ORD before they had the "canned" routes? Something like: "Taxi 22L via Inner, Wedge, Outer, Branch, Cargo, Parallel, hold short of 27L."
And they expected you to acknowledge but no readback. :eek:

With a trip to the "Penalty Box" if you f'd it up! :eek::

ORD was always one of my favorite places to fly in/out of, and the layover at the Palmer House on St. Patty's Day was great too!

That's when the Capt. let me fly the 727 back to MIA the next morning, while he and the F/O slept...;)

pilotrob23
03-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Its a 14 hour flight, I'd hope so :o

How did you verify your logbooks btw?

I believe I had the chief pilot at my previous airline do it. Wrote a letter and I turned it into Emirates.

tomgoodman
03-12-2014, 10:30 AM
ORD was always one of my favorite places to fly in/out of, and the layover at the Palmer House on St. Patty's Day was great too!

The Palmer House was a fine layover, even in the dead of winter, since Miller's Pub and the Berghoff were close enough that crews could reach them without freezing! :)

WHACKMASTER
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Long haul flying is highly over rated. I'm glad to fly a Jet that has to land about 5:45 in the sky, knowing there's a glass of cognac and breadstick in my immediate future.

I've done several different flavors of flying and medium to long haul is definitely my preferred. Up and down short haul is simply time wasted on the ground not getting paid.

Something we'll all agree on..... To each his own. :)

Timbo
03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
The Palmer House was a fine layover, even in the dead of winter, since Miller's Pub and the Berghoff were close enough that crews could reach them without freezing! :)

We nearly did freeze to death on the night I was describing, just on the walk to Miller's! We were supposed to be laying over in DFW, but got rerouted to ORD. Being MIA based, supposed to be laying over in DFW, we didn't pack any warm clothes or jackets.

Well, it being 9pm on March 17, we were not about to go to bed without some green liquid in our systems, so we hiked on down the street, slipping and sliding on the ice and snow covered sidewalk with the wind blowing, wearing our uniform jackets to keep us warm! I think it was about 25 that night, but we made to Miller's and back.

The next day was just a one legger back to MIA, where I got my first landing in a 727! ;)