Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

WorldwidePilot
04-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Turkish Airlines now accepting Non-Type Rated B777, B737, A320, A330/A340 Captains and First Officers.

B777, A330, A340 NTR: need experience on B767, B747, or A380

B737, A320 NTR: need experience on BAe-146, CRJ-100, 200, 700, 705, 900, 1000, ERJ-190/195, B 717, B727, B737 CLASSIC, DC-9-50, F-100, MD-80/88/90, or B757

Turkish Airlines will be having a roadshow in the USA in April to meet with pilots on the below dates:

*Los Angeles : April 14 and 15
*Chicago : April 18 and 19
*New York : April 22 and 23

For more details, email [email protected]

CrakPipeOvrheat
04-08-2014, 06:16 AM
Edit - Delete

FlyAstarJets
04-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Turkish Airlines now accepting Non-Type Rated B777, B737, A320, A330/A340 Captains and First Officers.

B777, A330, A340 NTR: need experience on B767, B747, or A380

B737, A320 NTR: need experience on BAe-146, CRJ-100, 200, 700, 705, 900, 1000, ERJ-190/195, B 717, B727, B737 CLASSIC, DC-9-50, F-100, MD-80/88/90, or B757

Turkish Airlines will be having a roadshow in the USA in April to meet with pilots on the below dates:

*Los Angeles : April 14 and 15
*Chicago : April 18 and 19
*New York : April 22 and 23

For more details, email [email protected]

Are FAA ATP's acceptable?

captjns
04-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Are FAA ATP's acceptable?

Yes they are.

FLowpayFO
04-08-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm seeing different requirements on multiple pages. Are they accepting CRJ time and is this invite only or open to all?

Flying Enoch
04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Noticed EMB-145 wasn't on the list, but other 50 seaters were. Any idea why?

Fetzervalve
04-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Take it with a big grain of salt, but I suggest people read about THY and their discriminatory practices related to upgrades of expat pilots (hired as FOs) on PPRuNe Forums - Professional Pilots Rumour Network (http://www.pprune.org). Sure, pprune is full of a lot of nonsense, but many current THY expat pilots on the Middle East board who are not happy. Might be a worthwhile read.

I personally wouldn't consider it unless I was hired into the left seat. Promises/contracts are not always honored in that part of the world.

CriticalMach
04-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Per THY; heres the following information:

Start Date
Immediate start dates will be available (subject to assessment)

Base of Operations
Istanbul, Turkey (and other bases within Turkey as advised by THY)
Duration of Contract
THY are offering candidates successful at assessment a permanent contract
Salary Details
THY will pay pilots directly each month the following basic salary benefits: Basic Salary: *TL11,521 gross per month
Note:
- *Bachelor Degree Qualification = TL1147 allowance, therefore monthly salary
= TL10374if you do not have a Bachelor Degree qualification this allowance will not be included each month
In accordance with Turkish Legislation, approximately 5% of the pilots salary is withheld for taxes and social security deductions by THY

Bonus
In the months of March/June/September/December each year a bonus of TL5, 951 will be paid by THY
Per Diems
A travel allowance of TL33 per day will be applicable within Turkey and TL50 for Turkish Northern Republic of Cyprus.

Bonding
Non-type rated Captains and First Officers will sign a bond. Although it has not yet been confirmed, type rating will be given by the Turkish Airlines and the expenses will be cut from the pilot’s salary each month for 3 years. Turkish Airlines will decide which fleet type you will be assigned to.

olympic
04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Good company ... schedule sucks for 737/320 fleet ... pay is GOOD but might tumble due to weak Turkish Lira ... Expat F/Os won't upgrade. I would go only if they offer Long range aircraft, build time .. then go to Qatar/Etihad/Emirates where you'll upgrade eventually ..especially Qatar 4-5 years Max right seat.

FLowpayFO
04-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Good company ... schedule sucks for 737/320 fleet ... pay is GOOD but might tumble due to weak Turkish Lira ... Expat F/Os won't upgrade. I would go only if they offer Long range aircraft, build time .. then go to Qatar/Etihad/Emirates where you'll upgrade eventually ..especially Qatar 4-5 years Max right seat.

What about a US Regional FO trying to get some Boeing or Airbus time to eventually get on somewhere flying B777, A380's, Etc?

Can you go from 737 to 777 FO as an expat?

Thanks for the insight.

NEDude
04-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Be very careful with this one. Pay is in Turkish Lira which has lost a lot of its value over the past few months. In essence you would have taken about a 30% pay cut since mid January if you were on this contract. Currently they have no pay protection guarantees. As mentioned the schedules on the A320 and B737 are supposedly horrible. This will not be a commuting contract, you must live in Istanbul. The nice thing is they are now accepting FAA licenses. Supposedly if you go in on an EASA/JAA license they require you to transfer you license to Turkey and it becomes virtually impossible to transfer it back to another EU country after that. With the EASA/JAA licenses the full records are transferred and the original country of issue no longer has your records. The FAA will always keep your records on file, so you still get to keep your FAA license when you work in Turkey.

Expat87
04-09-2014, 07:03 PM
What about a US Regional FO trying to get some Boeing or Airbus time to eventually get on somewhere flying B777, A380's, Etc?

Thanks for the insight.

I've seen many 737 FOs go to the right seat at Emirates or Ethiad on the 777 as well as Qatar on the 330.

CriticalMach
04-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I've seen many 737 FOs go to the right seat at Emirates or Ethiad on the 777 as well as Qatar on the 330.

According to many on PPRUNE, there has been instances where FO's have transitioned to heavy metal. Upgrade in only possible if the FO has a 4 year college degree. The degree has to be accepted by the state and eventually by Turkish Airlines. I have read instances where they don't treat Expats well. But again, they are now desperate since their own are falling short.

Also it has come to my attention that they are not accepting any EMB 120/135 and EMB 145 time. Not sure why. Please correct me if I am wrong.

FlyAstarJets
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Yes they are.

Thanks Cap!

FLowpayFO
04-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks Expat87.

If you had the choice, would you pick A320 or B737?

In regards to future opportunities, etc.

The Juice
04-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Pay as of today is $11,521 Turkish lira a month as an FO (based on what they sent me yesterday). That's $5456 US a month based on today's exchange rate. There is also an aprox 5% Turkish tax you will pay on this as well. This is for Airbus/ Boeing First Officer positions.

PerDiem is $33 Lira a day, so about $14 a day.

The rest of the package is a joke too.

CriticalMach
04-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Pay as of today is $11,521 Turkish lira a month as an FO (based on what they sent me yesterday). That's $5456 US a month based on today's exchange rate. There is also an aprox 5% Turkish tax you will pay on this as well. This is for Airbus/ Boeing First Officer positions.

PerDiem is $33 Lira a day, so about $14 a day.

The rest of the package is a joke too.

Plus the flight hour pay anything excess of 70 hours. Expect to fly 90 hours a month.

rcreager
04-10-2014, 08:40 PM
What is the story behind Turkey not being able to recruit from their own country? I thought they sent young, bright Turks to the US for training on like a ten year contract with the company? I heard that they were trying to get rid of foreigners working at Turkish Airline no?

Expat87
04-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks Expat87.

If you had the choice, would you pick A320 or B737?

In regards to future opportunities, etc.

Which ever one comes up first ;)

Seriously in the expat world I think you'd be fine either way. I know on the Mideast carriers the 737 time will open up opportunities on the 777.

I've flown with a few Capts who flew or were involved somehow at Turkish and they've said the same thing as those on here. Do not go as an FO. You'll never upgrade and there are other opportunities out there where you can.

seattlepilot
04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
All the parties that are interested, I am not going and I am Turkish .. Turkish is hurting big time now, but any downturn in economy or any political instability will make your contract void.

I know DL , UA, etc. are not hiring like crazy but a lot of the things that we are used to here in US don't exist there:
- No union protection
- No bidding (Yeah you bid for your schedule but they can change at at a whim)
- About 100 hours flown in summer time every month. (According to the Turkish rules that can be extended to 110 hours)
- Most connected guys (ex military or Erdogan supporters) get the good schedules.

Turkey is a beautiful country, food is awesome, girls that are not covered are pretty, but having 8-9 days off a month will not give you enough time to enjoy all that..

olympic
04-12-2014, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the insight.

Have a few buddies who sat right seat on the 320 for less than a year and are now flying right seat on the 330. Much better schedule, almost commuting. 8-10 days off straight per month maybe more if you fly a lot of the longer flights, USA/JAPAN etc. The same occurs for 737 to 777, not sure how long it takes though.

If the Lira wasn't dropping it would be a good place, but with the unpredictability of the country as of late, and the company always changing their Expat FO upgrade requirements I see it more as a stepping stone to go to another company in the region.

captjns
04-12-2014, 04:32 AM
All the parties that are interested, I am not going and I am Turkish .. Turkish is hurting big time now, but any downturn in economy or any political instability will make your contract void.

I know DL , UA, etc. are not hiring like crazy but a lot of the things that we are used to here in US don't exist there:
- No union protection
- About 100 hours flown in summer time every month. (According to the Turkish rules that can be extended to 110 hours)
- Most connected guys (ex military or Erdogan supporters) get the good schedules.

Turkey is a beautiful country, food is awesome, girls that are not covered are pretty, but having 8-9 days off a month will not give you enough time to enjoy all that..

Welcome to the expat world.

CriticalMach
04-12-2014, 06:56 AM

- No union protection

Now I will compare apples to apples here. I am FO at regional airline. This is what my 4 years looked like.

- current upgrade 7 years
- off days a month 8-10 varying on quality of trips
- bid 40% at base, so my schedule is hit or miss. 117 made it worse
- no union
- schedule can change on a whim. It's called flow through or being shoved by PBS.
- crj type. No value whatsoever
- and we all know one hiccup in the economy can tank airlines. History is our best reminder.

I think Turkish can be be a great stepping stone. Type and time on the Boeing makes a difference.

CriticalMach
04-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Have a few buddies who sat right seat on the 320 for less than a year and are now flying right seat on the 330. Much better schedule, almost commuting. 8-10 days off straight per month maybe more if you fly a lot of the longer flights, USA/JAPAN etc. The same occurs for 737 to 777, not sure how long it takes though.

If the Lira wasn't dropping it would be a good place, but with the unpredictability of the country as of late, and the company always changing their Expat FO upgrade requirements I see it more as a stepping stone to go to another company in the region.

Are you referring to Turkish?

FLowpayFO
04-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Olympic, thanks for that. I'm thinking it would be a great stepping stone towards a good contract somewhere and mostly a fun adventure.

CritialMach, same bOOat as you and watching my schedule and QOL slip away while the company does as it pleases. This could be a great opportunity to spice up the resume.

I'm attending the LAX roadshow and will give you guys an update of what they're presenting.

Neosporin
04-13-2014, 02:26 AM
Olympic, thanks for that. I'm thinking it would be a great stepping stone towards a good contract somewhere and mostly a fun adventure.

CritialMach, same bOOat as you and watching my schedule and QOL slip away while the company does as it pleases. This could be a great opportunity to spice up the resume.

I'm attending the LAX roadshow and will give you guys an update of what they're presenting.

FLowpayFO, your experience at the road show posted here will be much appreciated. Thx in advance!!

olympic
04-13-2014, 03:52 AM
Are you referring to Turkish?

Yes, Turkish.

I also forgot to mention, if you offer to self sponsor the A330 type, they will take you on the long haul instead of the A320. They have a lot of empty seats that need to be filled. Any questions let me know.

RemoveB4flght
04-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Look boys, there's no golden opportunity abroad that will satisfy 100%.

I never imagined myself a mercenary pilot living abroad, but an opportunity arose, and furlough forced my hand. Overall it has been good for me, but not without issue.

Some of you here are in an untenable position in the states, or just plain ready for something new. It could mean more money, the chance into narrow/wide body flying, and maybe see a bit more of the world and learn a thing or two.

I can't comment about Turkish, well nothing that I would speak authoritatively on anyway, but I will tell you young guys that life's an adventure, and most of the headway i've made in this industry has come from rolling the dice.

A move like this is never an easy decision, but you never know where it could lead. Good luck and CYA.

The Dominican
04-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Look boys, there's no golden opportunity abroad that will satisfy 100%.

There isn't such a thing back home either;)

flapshalfspeed
04-14-2014, 01:13 PM
What do they mean by "(written warning) for lack of discipline" in the requirements? For example, many US regionals issue warning letters in employee HR files for sick calls (and a variety of other non-PRIA-able things).

Will a written letter in an employee HR file for something like an attendance policy be an issue? Or if a person's PRIA record is "clean as a whistle" will they be good?

Essentially what I'm asking is--are they just pulling a PRIA for US pilots or is a simple phone call to former employers or what?

Thanks

FLowpayFO
04-14-2014, 01:43 PM
What do they mean by "(written warning) for lack of discipline" in the requirements? For example, many US regionals issue warning letters in employee HR files for sick calls (and a variety of other non-PRIA-able things).

Will a written letter in an employee HR file for something like an attendance policy be an issue? Or if a person's PRIA record is "clean as a whistle" will they be good?

Essentially what I'm asking is--are they just pulling a PRIA for US pilots or is a simple phone call to former employers or what?

Thanks

I may be wrong and correct me if so, but I believe your US employer is not allowed to share information like that. Simply a Yes or No if you are eligible for rehire.

captjns
04-14-2014, 04:33 PM
I may be wrong and correct me if so, but I believe your US employer is not allowed to share information like that. Simply a Yes or No if you are eligible for rehire.

True statement. While hard to prove otherwise... HR from your current/previous employers are only allowed to state whether or not you are eligible for rehire.

hoover
04-15-2014, 03:14 AM
From what I understand is your employer is under no obligation to give a foreign airline your PRIA that is why these airlines ask you for your training records no accident etc. So I really do not think that a letter for a sick call is ever going to come up unless you want it to. Only give them what they ask for too much info and they don't know what to do with it.

SpeedTaped
04-15-2014, 11:32 AM
FAA ATP 4000TT 2500 SIC CRJ200

Invited for May interview. Any info??

MiLa
04-15-2014, 03:44 PM
FAA ATP 4000TT 2500 SIC CRJ200

Invited for May interview. Any info??

SpeedTaped... I have similar quals and am working on getting the application done. Is the interview in Istanbul? Or somewhere in the States?

SpeedTaped
04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Istanbul, 5 day process

CrakPipeOvrheat
04-16-2014, 03:38 AM
Anyone going to the assessment on the 28th?

seattlepilot
04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Interview for five days? :) that is awesome

FLowpayFO
04-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Attended the LAX Roadshow.

Very professional and nice group of people. They had a 1.5 hr presentation on what they can offer and had a one presenter talking through a slide show, and three people (2 HR, 1 line pilot) taking questions afterwards.

It's evident the company is trying to move forward and demonstrate huge ambitions in competing with the ME3. An example is they state they are a 4 star airline, soon to become a 5 star airline. So with this in mind I feel they are trying to attract good applicants that want to stick around for the long term.

This is not a contract, this is a permanent position that gets you on the seniority list and you will become a member of the union. Once you get on a wide body it becomes a commutable roster if you wish, meaning enough days off in between pairings to fly home. (Two ID90's per month with options to sit in Flight Attendant jumpseats as a last resort, thats gonna hurt from the states though, haha)

For FAA and ICAO guys, you will receive a validation on your license. This makes me question if you will have to do a EASA conversion eventually down the road. Either way, if you are making good money, enjoy the job, I suppose this would be a minor hurdle in the grand scheme.

Non-Type Rated guys will get a bond, though not official, it was looking to be around €20,000 over 3 year period deducted monthly.

Invited to attend assessment in Istanbul.

SpeedTaped
04-18-2014, 05:44 AM

Very professional and nice group of people. They had a 1.5 hr presentation on what they can offer and had a one presenter talking through a slide show, and three people (2 HR, 1 line pilot) taking questions afterwards.

It's evident the company is trying to move forward and demonstrate huge ambitions in competing with the ME3. An example is they state they are a 4 star airline, soon to become a 5 star airline. So with this in mind I feel they are trying to attract good applicants that want to stick around for the long term.

This is not a contract, this is a permanent position that gets you on the seniority list and you will become a member of the union. Once you get on a wide body it becomes a commutable roster if you wish, meaning enough days off in between pairings to fly home. (Two ID90's per month with options to sit in Flight Attendant jumpseats as a last resort, thats gonna hurt from the states though, haha)

For FAA and ICAO guys, you will receive a validation on your license. This makes me question if you will have to do a EASA conversion eventually down the road. Either way, if you are making good money, enjoy the job, I suppose this would be a minor hurdle in the grand scheme.

Non-Type Rated guys will get a bond, though not official, it was looking to be around €20,000 over 3 year period deducted monthly.

Thanks for the good info. Seniority List and Union Protection sound like a step forward. Any word if they will place candidates directly on the wide body?:rolleyes:

MiLa
04-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the great info. I was also planning to attend the roadshow but had a scheduling conflict. Did they give you an idea for the timeframe to get to the wide bodies?

CrakPipeOvrheat
04-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLowpayFO

Thanks for the great info. I was also planning to attend the roadshow but had a scheduling conflict. Did they give you an idea for the timeframe to get to the wide bodies?

Look at the fleet count and orders. There will be way more A320/b737's than wide bodies. There aren't that many wide bodies at Turkish.

travelair
04-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Turkish will not take you if you are over 45 or have not flown 6 months of the last 12 on acceptable type. It will be nice when the tables turn on the foreign airlines with their ridiculous requirements.

CriticalMach
04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info sir. Kindly check your pm.

CriticalMach
04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Olympic, kindly check your pm.

Starlifter
04-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Turkish will not take you if you are over 45 or have not flown 6 months of the last 12 on acceptable type. It will be nice when the tables turn on the foreign airlines with their ridiculous requirements.

Yes, this is what brought me back to the US. Have the EASA ATP, EASA type, plenty of hours and right to live and work in Europe...but not the youth!

Lifter

gearcrankr
04-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Yes, this is what brought me back to the US. Have the EASA ATP, EASA type, plenty of hours and right to live and work in Europe...but not the youth!

Lifter

Dont sweat it. You will really enjoy SCA.

Starlifter
04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Dont sweat it. You will really enjoy SCA.

Thanks brother, already enjoying it! Fantastic to see FOs with gray hair!

outaluckagain
04-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Absolutely rediculous to think of it. 45 is nothing in this day and age.

seattlepilot
04-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLowpayFO

Thanks for the good info. Seniority List and Union Protection sound like a step forward. Any word if they will place candidates directly on the wide body?

Don't be fooled by seniority list and especially the union gimmicks. There is no unity and no active union in Turkish. Last year 350 people that were joined in the strike were fired through text messages.

They fire people at will with the slightest mistake like landing unstable. ( if you land 1100 fpm vs 1000) you are considered "yabanci"

Just because you are on seniority list doesn't mean that you will not be let go out of seniority. ( there is no furlough in turkey. )

The union is made up of ex military pilots that collect your money and have some time with that. No programs like ASAP or HIMS exist.

Knowing what you are getting into will make you happier down the road.

As far as 45 rule is concerned it is stupid I know, also if you are stuck in a type after 50 , say 320, you cannot change aircraft type any more. So wide body might go to a junior pilot.

Go knowing all these...

bigboeings
04-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Ive been invited to the assesment on the 28th. Pm me if you are going to be there too.

captjns
04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Don't be fooled by seniority list and especially the union gimmicks. There is no unity and no active union in Turkish. Last year 350 people that were joined in the strike were fired through text messages.

They fire people at will with the slightest mistake like landing unstable. ( if you land 1100 fpm vs 1000) you are considered "yabanci"

Just because you are on seniority list doesn't mean that you will not be let go out of seniority. ( there is no furlough in turkey. )

The union is made up of ex military pilots that collect your money and have some time with that. No programs like ASAP or HIMS exist.

As far as 45 rule is concerned it is stupid I know, also if you are stuck in a type after 50 , say 320, you cannot change aircraft type any more. So wide body might go to a junior pilot.

Go knowing all these...

That's what the deal is about being an expat.... You are a guest in someone's house, sort to say. Don't expect to be treated in the same manner as you would treat your guests in your house. You may be treated better or in some cases worse.

Your next flight may be your last flight with a departure from that country within 24 hours.

Ahhh the glorious exotic life of the expat.

Gotta say... after more than 20 years living in many countries... I have no regret leaving my last major carrier in 1991.

olympic
04-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Lifter

Where you been bro??? Last time I saw you was in Greece in 2009??? Haha .. hope all is well!

outaluckagain
04-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Go knowing all these...

Can't see why people would want this. Seems more for an older pilot who may think he has lost his shot at US majors, and this may be a way to make up for it. There is just to much age descrimination to justify this though. The 45 limit and the over 50 rule and all.

The Dominican
04-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Can't see why people would want this. Seems more for an older pilot who may think he has lost his shot at US majors, and this may be a way to make up for it. There is just to much age descrimination to justify this though. The 45 limit and the over 50 rule and all.

How many job offers are you getting:rolleyes: all you see on the blogosphere is talk about everybody and their mother will be working for the majors soon, but what I hear from my friends stuck in regional hell is that the calls for interviews are few and far in between, and out of those called for interview just a few get the nod...!

F15andMD11
04-20-2014, 06:46 AM
...Seems more for an older pilot who may think he has lost his shot at US majors, and this may be a way to make up for it. There is just to much age descrimination to justify this though... Are you saying there is too much discrimination at the US carriers or the foreign ones? There is certainly discrimination going on at the US carriers. If you're over 50 what are you going to do? A US charter company recently closed its doors. ALL of the pilots that remained were in their late 40s to late 50s. They are all out of a job now. What are they going to do? Who will hire them? No one will! The majors are hiring "kids" these days. Both regional flows and young military guys. While I think its great that the young military guys are getting the call, whats the older pilot to do? Now he can't get on with Turkish or Korean because of the age 45 rule. Rhetorical question, you're a 55yo pilot and you just lost your job. Where will you go? Lets also throw in your BMI is over 30, which is the case for many of these older pilots. Maybe there is a company in Africa that will take you.:mad:

CriticalMach
04-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Are you saying there is too much discrimination at the US carriers or the foreign ones? There is certainly discrimination going on at the US carriers. If you're over 50 what are you going to do? A US charter company recently closed its doors. ALL of the pilots that remained were in their late 40s to late 50s. They are all out of a job now. What are they going to do? Who will hire them? No one will! The majors are hiring "kids" these days. Both regional flows and young military guys. While I think its great that the young military guys are getting the call, whats the older pilot to do? Now he can't get on with Turkish or Korean because of the age 45 rule. Rhetorical question, you're a 55yo pilot and you just lost your job. Where will you go? Lets also throw in your BMI is over 30, which is the case for many of these older pilots. Maybe there is a company in Africa that will take you.:mad:

Or regional airline in US. I am sure they're okay with $22/hr pay.

flapshalfspeed
04-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Are you saying there is too much discrimination at the US carriers or the foreign ones? There is certainly discrimination going on at the US carriers. If you're over 50 what are you going to do? A US charter company recently closed its doors. ALL of the pilots that remained were in their late 40s to late 50s. They are all out of a job now. What are they going to do? Who will hire them? No one will! The majors are hiring "kids" these days. Both regional flows and young military guys. While I think its great that the young military guys are getting the call, whats the older pilot to do? Now he can't get on with Turkish or Korean because of the age 45 rule. Rhetorical question, you're a 55yo pilot and you just lost your job. Where will you go? Lets also throw in your BMI is over 30, which is the case for many of these older pilots. Maybe there is a company in Africa that will take you.:mad:

Blame anyone over 60 who is still flying a medium or heavy jet at a US legacy or cargo carrier--not the young guys making $22/hour. The old timers are the ones screwing the industry for anyone age 40-55--not the young bucks :)

flapshalfspeed
04-20-2014, 11:30 AM

Also, re: BMI--go to the gym maybe?

outaluckagain
04-20-2014, 11:43 AM
How many job offers are you getting:rolleyes: all you see on the blogosphere is talk about everybody and their mother will be working for the majors soon, but what I hear from my friends stuck in regional hell is that the calls for interviews are few and far in between, and out of those called for interview just a few get the nod...!o

I am actually referring to the age issue at the foreign carriers. It doesn't seem like there would be all that many takers for this unless these were people who lost their shot at majors.

I allready know what you are referring to here with people at regionals not getting calls. I am thinking that the regional guys that are younger would not really want to pack it up and move to Turkey. Maybe so though.

The people that I think will fit into this are the older people, say over 45 who allready know they will not make the majors.

Lucky8888
04-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Blame anyone over 60 who is still flying a medium or heavy jet at a US legacy or cargo carrier--not the young guys making $22/hour. The old timers are the ones screwing the industry for anyone age 40-55--not the young bucks :)

That's a dumb statement.

Starlifter
04-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Where you been bro??? Last time I saw you was in Greece in 2009??? Haha .. hope all is well!

Yes, last time in Greece.

Will PM you later. Doing some training now

Lifter

CriticalMach
04-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Off topic but I have a good friend who is at United. He was hired 4 months ago at the tender age of 49.

outaluckagain
04-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Off topic but I have a good friend who is at United. He was hired 4 months ago at the tender age of 49.

I am glad to hear that one. What kind of quals did he have? I mean, was he a retired military guy or regional type? Career changer?

Fetzervalve
04-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Did they ever find the two Turkish A320 pilots who were kidnapped in Beirut?

olympic
04-21-2014, 03:50 AM
Yes, October of last year

F15andMD11
04-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Off topic but I have a good friend who is at United. He was hired 4 months ago at the tender age of 49. That's great! If we're in the same indoc class I'll be picking aircraft ahead of him. :D So that makes two guys UA recently hired that are 49 or older!

CriticalMach
04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
I am glad to hear that one. What kind of quals did he have? I mean, was he a retired military guy or regional type? Career changer?

Regional guy. No military background. He was an OBAp scholarship winder. Networked at United training centre and called them up last year and got called in for an interview.

Bushmaster09
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
I'm a younger regional(trash) captain. Been a captain too long suposedly for the Majors. I upgraded when I was 24, I'm 33 now. I've applied AT EVERY MAJOR AIRLINE that would take an application for the past 5 years. NOTHING! NOT A SINGLE CALL!! Job fairs, networking, going in bodly to the chief pilots office at US airways and introducing yourself, I've given up. It's a lost cause. And if I get one more mainline guy in the jumpseat telling me how the majors are hurting for pilots because of retirements and how we are soo set...... Ok I gotta calm down sorry.

Just applied at Turkish airines a few weeks ago and within 3 days they called me back and I have an interview! Holy Sh*t!! What a badly needed breath of fresh air. The regional airline I work for gets worse every day, with a good chance of going 'Comair' real soon. Even if THY were to treat me as bad as the regoinal airline I work for, I'm making 3 times as much, and gaining PIC time in type that isn't worthless. I'm gonna hard for this one, the hell with the US majors!

pilot444
04-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi. Bushmaster. Check your inbox
Pm from Pilot444. Thanks

CriticalMach
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
any one heading to assessment on 12th or prior? Please pm me?

Baxter76
04-24-2014, 07:50 AM
I hate this too few posts garbage to not send pms. If any of you guys going to the assessment could pm me it would be appreciated. Would love to hear what this is all about. I couldnt make the ORD show.

Baxter76
04-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Wait is 5 the limit?

Baxter76
04-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Lol got it now...im a little slow

seattlepilot
04-24-2014, 04:04 PM
One of the requirements to bring to the assessment is "last logbook approved and stamped by the company. " (typical Turkish mentality pretending that everyone lives in base). How do you guys plan on accomplishing that ?

I was already told by a friend who questioned this that they won't approve a logbook approved by your local FSDO

Bushmaster09
04-28-2014, 05:30 AM
One of the requirements to bring to the assessment is "last logbook approved and stamped by the company. " (typical Turkish mentality pretending that everyone lives in base). How do you guys plan on accomplishing that ?

I was already told by a friend who questioned this that they won't approve a logbook approved by your local FSDO

Where do you see this at? The assessment briefing pack I was sent simply says to bring your logbooks. I don't see anything in there about stamping from a company. Don't even know what that means, my Chief signing off on it?

CriticalMach
04-28-2014, 09:30 AM

You may have read it wrong. That is not the requirement.

Additionally, who is attending the assessment on 12th? PM me. Ill be there.

MiLa
04-28-2014, 10:26 AM
You may have read it wrong. That is not the requirement.

Additionally, who is attending the assessment on 12th? PM me. Ill be there.

Directly from the assessment briefing packet...

_ Logbook – must be signed and stamped by the company
• Must bring original logbook and photocopy of the last two pages to assessments
• Last log book needs to be signed and stamped by the company

I spoke directly with someone at FCI and she told me that you are required to have your logbook stamped and signed by your current employer.... I too am not sure how to do this...

nicholasblonde
04-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Directly from the assessment briefing packet...

_ Logbook – must be signed and stamped by the company
• Must bring original logbook and photocopy of the last two pages to assessments
• Last log book needs to be signed and stamped by the company

I spoke directly with someone at FCI and she told me that you are required to have your logbook stamped and signed by your current employer.... I too am not sure how to do this...

Ditto. I have asked multiple people at my regional and the word I am getting is that no one in the company will do this. What they will do is give me a printout of my crewtrac logs in a packet on company letterhead--but there is NO ONE in the company who will stamp/certify logbooks.

Really want this and would love to live/work in Istanbul, but want to make sure I get all the documentation before going so I'm not sent home!

Starlifter
04-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Ditto. I have asked multiple people at my regional and the word I am getting is that no one in the company will do this. What they will do is give me a printout of my crewtrac logs in a packet on company letterhead--but there is NO ONE in the company who will stamp/certify logbooks.

Really want this and would love to live/work in Istanbul, but want to make sure I get all the documentation before going so I'm not sent home!

Having the logbook stamped (usually each page) is very common among European carriers. I have done this for years. Typically the Chief Pilot's assistant has a stamp and stamps away. I am not saying the assistant is verifying what he/she is stamping he just stamps and stamps and stamps... I am not sure how those applying from the US would do this but i suspect this is a gray area for US applicants. I would attempt to get an official stamp of "some sort" on each page...to show the effort. I am not saying that each stamp i have is readable but it has satisfied the requirement for 10 plus years now...
This is only the start of the challenges one faces...everyone has a stamp outside of the US and it means power...
Not that it was right but in some cases i used my own office stamp when i was in a pinch...again unreadable but stamped!

The Dominican
04-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Correct, this is common practice in many places around the world! When I applied here in Japan, I took my logbook to a public notary and had it stamped....! Don't know if THY will accept this, just a suggestion.

Starlifter
04-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Correct, this is common practice in many places around the world! When I applied here in Japan, I took my logbook to a public notary and had it stamped....! Don't know if THY will accept this, just a suggestion.

Excellent suggestion! Satisfies the stamping requirement. Now on to deal with the next asinine requirement...

Bushmaster09
04-29-2014, 06:55 AM
I wonder why I didn't get this. Was this in an email? Here is all I found regaurding docs ....nothing in here about this "stamping"

Directly from the "Turkish Airlines Assesment Briefing.pdf"

Day 2: Tuesday (Document Check)
You will need to bring all of your original documentation with you on the day of your assessment
(including the Turkish Airlines Form that you have submitted to Sigma Aviation), if you do not
currently have the following documents you should immediately request them as if you are successful
in your assessment they will be required in order to proceed with your job offer: please bring COPIES
of the documents as well.
The documents below are essential and must be available on Day 1 of the assessment:
Passport
Pilots License, Medical Certificate
Log book
Colour Passport Photos x 4
The documents below can be submitted at a later date if not currently available but if offered a
job, they must be provided (failure to provide these may result in a job offer being retracted):
Criminal record (should be issued recently from a legal authority eg: police dept. etc)
Incident/Accident record (should be issued recently from a legal authority if not from
every company they worked for)
Letters of Recommendation
High School or University Diploma
Turkish Airlines Form

hoover
04-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Did they raise their pay or start paying in something besides the Lira? I have read several times "good pay" on this thread but when I check the pay and convert it from Lira it doesn't sound so good.

MiLa
04-29-2014, 09:31 AM
I wonder why I didn't get this. Was this in an email? Here is all I found regaurding docs ....nothing in here about this "stamping"

Directly from the "Turkish Airlines Assesment Briefing.pdf"

Day 2: Tuesday (Document Check)
You will need to bring all of your original documentation with you on the day of your assessment
(including the Turkish Airlines Form that you have submitted to Sigma Aviation), if you do not
currently have the following documents you should immediately request them as if you are successful
in your assessment they will be required in order to proceed with your job offer: please bring COPIES
of the documents as well.
The documents below are essential and must be available on Day 1 of the assessment:
Passport
Pilots License, Medical Certificate
Log book
Colour Passport Photos x 4
The documents below can be submitted at a later date if not currently available but if offered a
job, they must be provided (failure to provide these may result in a job offer being retracted):
Criminal record (should be issued recently from a legal authority eg: police dept. etc)
Incident/Accident record (should be issued recently from a legal authority if not from
every company they worked for)
Letters of Recommendation
High School or University Diploma
Turkish Airlines Form

I don't have any experience dealing with these contract companies, but the discrepancy could be the difference between going through Sigma vs FCI... Doesn't seem to make much sense because applying to the same airline but that's the only reasoning I can think of....

Starlifter
04-29-2014, 09:46 AM
That could be.

freeflybreeze
05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Just got an email this morning from FCI that the Turkish DGCA is no longer accepting FAA ATP's for the Non Type Rated pilots.

seattlepilot
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Just got an email this morning from FCI that the Turkish DGCA is no longer accepting FAA ATP's for the Non Type Rated pilots.

We were unfortunately informed this morning by THY that the Turkish DGCA will no longer accept FAA and ICAO license holders for the NTR positions.

If you hold a JAA/EASA ATP, please let us know as we then can continue with your screenings - though we did not see this on your application.

Should this change, we’ll be sure to inform you immediately. Please let me know if you have any questions.

With kind regards,

flapshalfspeed
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Thank heavens I didn't spend my off days going to that roadshow and harrassing my CP to write a rec letter for me, or to certify/stamp all my logbook pages.

Are their pilots in negotiations or something? I had heard some rumors this FAA thing might've been an attempt by the company for leverage, but idk.

Starlifter
05-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Thank heavens I didn't spend my off days going to that roadshow and harrassing my CP to write a rec letter for me, or to certify/stamp all my logbook pages.

Are their pilots in negotiations or something? I had heard some rumors this FAA thing might've been an attempt by the company for leverage, but idk.

Not at all surprised...

seattlepilot
05-02-2014, 09:35 PM

There are no negotiations over there. There was a bit of a complaint by local pilots who mortgaged everything and they are getting sidelined. Some of these concerns are legitimate, some are done by people who don't even have proper language skills or training.

Go back and read my posts in this threads. Don't say you were not warned.

NEDude
05-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Way too many negatives with Turkish to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Probe
05-03-2014, 02:28 AM
I have been through the process a couple of times now.Unfortunately the US is a mostly "stamp less" society.

I took my own logbooks, my last few paystubs, which showed my total flight time, and made a letter up for my chief pilot to sign. The letter just said that he verified my flight time at my airline. Below that statement was a cut and pasted screen from our companies computer that showed all my flight time, by aircraft type.

I also took a printout of my FAA record, which is everything I have ever done from Private through my last evac/ditching and PC and that airline. The FAA will provide you with this by email.

This was so much official info that they barely looked at it. Compared to a single set of logbooks that the pilot made up himself (no pun intended) and had "stamped", my credentials were pretty much gold plated.

As far as notarized docs, every country, and in the US, state, does it different. Some states you can walk in with a doc and they will notarize it. Some, they will call the police. They will only notarize a doc that you create and sign in front of them. The country of the airline you are applying to only understands their own laws, and usually won't understand if your country does it differently.

Now the bad news. Some countries are EXTREMELY anal about all of this. Japan might be the worst. If you have one single thing that does not comply, their government nazis might say no, and their is nothing you can do about it but apply elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Bushmaster09
05-03-2014, 06:15 AM

*** really!!? I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding this. So I wonder how long it's going to take Sigma to tell me TBNT.

flapshalfspeed
05-03-2014, 11:21 AM
*** really!!? I haven't heard anything from anyone regarding this. So I wonder how long it's going to take Sigma to tell me TBNT.

Go look on the most recent job listings on FlightGlobal (or any of the contract providers)...the FCI & Sigma listings now state JAA/EASA licenses required.

seattlepilot
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Sigma still accepts FAA

Bushmaster09
05-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Go look on the most recent job listings on FlightGlobal (or any of the contract providers)...the FCI & Sigma listings now state JAA/EASA licenses required.

Clearly says FAA is acceptable still.

Non Type Rated Captain ? B737 with CAE Parc Aviation | 1401391149 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401391149/non-type-rated-captain-b737/)

seattlepilot
05-06-2014, 01:49 AM
Clearly says FAA is acceptable still.

Non Type Rated Captain ? B737 with CAE Parc Aviation | 1401391149 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401391149/non-type-rated-captain-b737/)

I can confirm that they only accept FAA ATP with the type ratings that Turkish operates. Welcome to Turkey where all the rules change on daily basis.

CriticalMach
05-06-2014, 08:44 AM
I can confirm that they only accept FAA ATP with the type ratings that Turkish operates. Welcome to Turkey where all the rules change on daily basis.

welp!!!

From Sigma:

Dear Non-Type Rated Applicant,

It is with great regret I must inform you that we have been advised by Turkish Airlines that they cannot accept ICAO and FAA licences for the Non-Type Rated roles as of last Friday.

Unfortunately this means your assessment will no longer be taking place. You can read the email that was sent below.

We apologise on behalf of Turkish Airlines for the extreme inconvenience caused due to the late notification of this ruling.

If you do possess an EASA/JAA licence with the relevant type rating please do let me know and I will be able to advise you accordingly.

I wish you the very best of luck in the near future and hope that we can work together on a contract soon. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

seattlepilot
05-06-2014, 09:58 AM
ok, i have been asking these people what "non type rated " means. do they mean non type rated in their aircraft?

CriticalMach
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
ok, i have been asking these people what "non type rated " means. do they mean non type rated in their aircraft?

correct. Non type 737.

rj1217
05-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Are they accepting applications from candidates who have jet time or Prop guys will also be considered from the US regionals.

flapshalfspeed
05-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Are they accepting applications from candidates who have jet time or Prop guys will also be considered from the US regionals.

Read the rest of the thread--they have ceased processing FAA candidates unless you have a type rating (and hours) on aircraft they fly (737/A320/777/A330).

All the best//flaps

freeflybreeze
08-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey remember this thing? Just got the email this morning, they are again accepting FAA rated pilots, but you have to pay for the type rating.

seattlepilot
08-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Hey remember this thing? Just got the email this morning, they are again accepting FAA rated pilots, but you have to pay for the type rating.

Tell them to f themselves.

freeflybreeze
08-06-2014, 08:10 AM
So I asked how much, it's going to be around 20,000 euros, at today's exchange rate that's $30,000. Seriously ??? Personally I qualify for a narrow body DEC and I think that works out to be about 5 months of take home pay. Think they'll get many takers ?

bigboeings
08-06-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't trust the Turks. I was accepted for DEC 777 position in April, went to Istanbul for a week long interview process. Halfway through the week they said, oops no longer accepting non type rated ( I was 767 typed). Things are too fluid right now, let them figure it out and get with the program like other foreign carriers.

hoover
08-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Same here. DEC 737 Captain and the day before leaving for the interview I was told they are no longer accepting FAA type ratings. ***. Now they are again. No way would I trust them.

Thedude
08-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I don't trust the Turks.

If you are ever in a bar run by them....watch your wallet (and all of your pockets).

seattlepilot
08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
I am Turkish and I don't trust them either. So that you know, THY just cancelled all the pass privileges of pilots within their system. There are a lot of wide body pilots that have already moved out of Istanbul to Turkish riviera. They come in to Istanbul, fly their turn to XYZ and go back home. Now they will have to pay for these trips. It is going to be at the zed levels but that adds to the expenses.
This is done for the locals for now. So, there is another reason for them to hate you.

THY might look like a good option from distance but I would say ME3 are more professional and pilot friendly.