Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

bodean
04-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Any former American Airlines Interns on here, who applied at American Airlines since they opened the window last October, hear anything from them? Thanks

LITTLEa905
04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Any former American Airlines Interns on here, who applied at American Airlines since they opened the window last October, hear anything from them? Thanks
I interned there... haven't heard anything.

Sliceback
04-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Heard of at least one, and perhaps two(?) , that got hired.
No inside info just random comments so there might be more.

IDIOTPILOT
04-25-2014, 05:29 PM
There's been at least one.

Son of pilot killed on 9/11 among new slew of AA aviators - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24759379/son-of-pilot-killed-on-911-among-1500-new-aa-aviators)

Sliceback
04-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Idpilot - thanks. Forgot that he was an intern. So a minimum of 2 and I think I recall hearing of at least one more.

bluelion
04-25-2014, 06:36 PM
2 interns hired in my class

stevieg241
04-25-2014, 06:42 PM
I was an intern from Jan-May '99. I remember being told of a guaranteed interview when the time came, but I'm not sure how accurate that was...was anybody else told that? I applied in October and received TBNT email in December. My guess was the assessment. Just re-took it yesterday and feel better about it. Hopefully this time will be a positive response.

ERJF15
04-25-2014, 07:32 PM
I've been an intern for 7 years...still waiting.

Diesel1030
04-27-2014, 05:53 AM
My current training partner was an intern. Also know a few other interns that have been hired so far.

bodean
04-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks. Ill keep my fingers crossed then. Was an Intern January 2001.

saxman66
04-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I was an intern back in '05. I applied with a few recs and still got the TBNT email. Not sure why. I can apply again in June.

duder
05-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Crickets still for this former intern. Waiting for a class date at Delta though so not looking like AA is in my future. Oh well.

sbrsky
05-17-2014, 03:09 AM
Yes, I know of at least a dozen who have interviewed. I would guess there have been many more that I don't know.

pilot66503
05-17-2014, 07:08 AM
04 intern....no one from my class has heard a peep. No TBNT letter though so I guess that's good.

love2av8
05-17-2014, 02:42 PM
I know of one that got called fairly early on interviewed out in Dallas. Was told to reapply in a year.

TXav8r13
05-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Former 06 AA intern. Applied in October, interviewed in December, February class date. Not sure why I got called and several of my good friends didn't.

stevieg241
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the class date TXav8r. Just curious...did you know anybody there? What was your TT?

ThePenguin328
06-22-2014, 03:54 AM
Summer 2000 intern. Told guaranteed interview when hiring mins were met if all review scores were positive. Emailed the intern coordinator lady two years after 9/11 just to ask if the internship interview ever had an expiration. Generic reply that AA would take care of the interns. Hired on at another major in 2007 so I quit holding out that AA would ever hire again. Either way, great summer with great memories in Dallas.

saxman66
06-22-2014, 09:15 AM
For those who got called. Did you stay in touch with your bosses? Did they write letters for you? I'm trying to stay in touch with mine, but sometimes he's impossible to get a hold of. I kept every business card I was given too. Some though, I'm not sure if they'd remember me.

TXav8r13
06-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Congrats on the class date TXav8r. Just curious...did you know anybody there? What was your TT?

Thanks. I don't know anyone important. I had letters from a retired 757 Captain and a 737 FO. They tell you during the interview that your letters do nothing for the interview. They bring them out at the review board. The best advice I would give is be active in your community. Volunteer, and do things outside aviation.

6,000 TT
5,000 121
0 TPIC

I used my old boss as a reference but didn't ask him to write a letter.

saxman66
03-15-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm bringing this thread back to the top after two years. Any other interns trying to get on? I just spoke with my former boss, and he said interns count somewhat but they are still pushed far down the list.

highflyer87
03-16-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm bringing this thread back to the top after two years. Any other interns trying to get on? I just spoke with my former boss, and he said interns count somewhat but they are still pushed far down the list.

Interesting. I thought it was the other way around. Interning gets you in a separate list.

I interned Summer 2010. 2 out of my class are flying the line, another just got a cjo.

IDIOTPILOT
03-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Interesting. I thought it was the other way around. Interning gets you in a separate list.

I interned Summer 2010. 2 out of my class are flying the line, another just got a cjo.

They didn't just apply and check the intern box. They had other things going on too.

saxman66
03-17-2016, 07:39 AM

There may be a second list. Not really sure. My guy is retired now, so he probably doesn't know it all. I was back there back in 2005.

highflyer87
03-17-2016, 08:01 AM
They didn't just apply and check the intern box. They had other things going on too.

Never said they did. What other things are you referring to?

Aviatrx
03-18-2016, 05:54 PM
I was there in 2014. Crickets for me. Light volunteer work, about 1000 tpic, >7000 total, updated about every other month, no job fairs, 2 internal LOR's. They promised an interview. Not really sure when that is supposed to come to fruition. Sounds like it is hit or miss as I have heard some are getting the call. As far as I know, my app has not been booted. I am pretty disappointed thus far.

fire2flyer
03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
I was there in 2014. Crickets for me. Light volunteer work, about 1000 tpic, >7000 total, updated about every other month, no job fairs, 2 internal LOR's. They promised an interview. Not really sure when that is supposed to come to fruition. Sounds like it is hit or miss as I have heard some are getting the call. As far as I know, my app has not been booted. I am pretty disappointed thus far.

I was just reading through the posts and read a few like this. I have a very good friend that helps in the hiring process at AA and is a also a FO there. He reserves in a military unit and asked "the person in charge of hiring" about a guy in his unit. She told him that he needs to look at another legacy right now because AA slowing their hiring to a creep... if at all at the moment. Moral of the story... it probably has nothing to do with you if you haven't heard anything.

Otterbox
03-20-2016, 05:58 PM
I was just reading through the posts and read a few like this. I have a very good friend that helps in the hiring process at AA and is a also a FO there. He reserves in a military unit and asked "the person in charge of hiring" about a guy in his unit. She told him that he needs to look at another legacy right now because AA slowing their hiring to a creep... if at all at the moment. Moral of the story... it probably has nothing to do with you if you haven't heard anything.

I just had lunch with a new hire at the training center today. He submitted his application in October '14 and has been on property for less than a month. It's a long process.

Buzzlightyear
03-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Pretty similar to Aviatrx. 2000 intern with a gentlemans agreement on a guaranteed interview at AA once I met the published quals. Envoy for 15 years, 11,000TT, 4000TPIC, LCA, 4 year degree, light duty volunteering, monthly updates, no job fairs, 777LCA lor, 737 CA lor, applied fall of 2013 heard nothing. A little disappointed. Know of plenty of interns that have got on. Majority of the former interns who ended up at envoy have heard crickets. Seems that recruitment does not want to pay Peter to rob Paul.

saxman66
05-02-2016, 11:04 AM
I just talked to CC, someone who did hiring at Eagle for many decades. She did say that AA recruiting does plan on getting to all the former interns eventually. In what time frame, I don't know. Just figured I'd pass the word on.

Wink
05-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I was an intern from Jan-May '99. I remember being told of a guaranteed interview when the time came, but I'm not sure how accurate that was...was anybody else told that? I applied in October and received TBNT email in December. My guess was the assessment. Just re-took it yesterday and feel better about it. Hopefully this time will be a positive response.

Just wanna pass on some info i got at a career fair about AA - if you can log into pilot credentials and update your times and what not, you passed the assessment. If you are locked out and it doesnt let you update your application, you did not pass the assessment.

TankerDriver
05-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Just wanna pass on some info i got at a career fair about AA - if you can log into pilot credentials and update your times and what not, you passed the assessment. If you are locked out and it doesnt let you update your application, you did not pass the assessment.

That's excellent info. Thanks.

jules11
05-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Hmm, I've heard of people who have received the TBNT email, but haven't heard of anyone being locked out of their account. Has anyone?

saxman66
05-04-2016, 01:43 PM
I got the TBNT email back in 2013. Reapplied 6 months later. Wish I could remember if I could update my app back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jules11
09-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Any new news on the former intern front?

duder
09-29-2016, 06:04 AM
I never got a call. I've been at Delta for over 2 years now anyways and wouldn't leave if they gave me a class tomorrow. In my opinion AA really screwed the former interns. Having worked for free for months we should have all been interviewed within the first year of hiring. I don't think I would even recommend a current college student to bother doing an internship anymore. With the pilot shortage already starting you are better off getting your hours as quickly as possible and get seniority somewhere. JMHO. Good luck to all you former interns still waiting for a call!!

patelam
01-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I was an intern Spring 2003. 1500 part 121 PIC, 7000 part 121 TT, 1500 SIC C17, BS and Masters ERAU, bunch of volunteer work, several job fairs. Crickets. Day before my MD11 type ride at FedEx... email from AA. Politest "up yours" I could muster, and nearly the greatest feeling ever to give AA the bird like that. Of the 13 interns in my class, 1 actually wanted to work at AA after, I was on the fence, and a 3rd didn't ever, but got hired by USAirways! They screwed the interns in true AMR fashion, and from the sounds of this forum, they haven't changed much with the line pilots either. Good luck to all still trying to go back for the beatings.

EMBFlyer
01-06-2017, 06:03 AM
I was an intern Spring 2003. 1500 part 121 PIC, 7000 part 121 TT, 1500 SIC C17, BS and Masters ERAU, bunch of volunteer work, several job fairs. Crickets. Day before my MD11 type ride at FedEx... email from AA. Politest "up yours" I could muster, and nearly the greatest feeling ever to give AA the bird like that. Of the 13 interns in my class, 1 actually wanted to work at AA after, I was on the fence, and a 3rd didn't ever, but got hired by USAirways! They screwed the interns in true AMR fashion, and from the sounds of this forum, they haven't changed much with the line pilots either. Good luck to all still trying to go back for the beatings.

Someone asked about intern hiring at a Crew News session. Doug thought it was a wonderful idea and couldn't believe we didn't already do it. SH (Flight Ops Weasel) took the mike and basically said screw you to the interns and apply like everyone else. No one is special.

LIOG41
01-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Someone asked about intern hiring at a Crew News session. Doug thought it was a wonderful idea and couldn't believe we didn't already do it. SH (Flight Ops Weasel) took the mike and basically said screw you to the interns and apply like everyone else. No one is special.

Yeah that weasel needs to go, he is a mess for flight ops.

mainlineAF
01-07-2017, 08:54 AM

The only thing that isn't special is AA. Literally not one good quality.

PRS Guitars
01-07-2017, 04:17 PM

I noticed the same thing, it's a perfect example of middle management being a problem, and shows how on board they are with Parker's plea with them to make cultural changes. Just freakin bureaucrat's, nothing more...

R57 relay
01-11-2017, 04:13 PM
I noticed the same thing, it's a perfect example of middle management being a problem, and shows how on board they are with Parker's plea with them to make cultural changes. Just freakin bureaucrat's, nothing more...

AA must be full of them, only conclusion I can come to. Hoping Parker/Isom clean house.

Flying Taco
11-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm thinking about applying for the flight ops internship next year for AA. Should I even bother applying for it or should I just focus on getting all of my flight hours completed? I'm not sure if there is even a point of doing the internships because of the coming shortage in the next decade.:confused:

Mover
11-05-2017, 03:07 AM
I'm thinking about applying for the flight ops internship next year for AA. Should I even bother applying for it or should I just focus on getting all of my flight hours completed? I'm not sure if there is even a point of doing the internships because of the coming shortage in the next decade.:confused:

Both would be nice, but flight hours should be your priority.

SunDevilPilot
11-05-2017, 08:32 AM
My advice is to definitely apply. I'll be starting as a Flight Intern in January here and I can already tell the experiences I will have will be incredible, both in the Flight Academy and traveling with the flight benefits. If you have your commercial and some volunteer experience on your resume at the time you apply, you'll be very competitive. Try for a GPA north of 3.3, too.

Aviatrx
11-06-2017, 05:03 AM
The internship is fun, however it is time away from flying and unpaid, as I am sure you already know. I did mine quite some time ago and was able to Jump Seat and work in the Chief Pilots office in my home town. This allowed me to closer examine what it is to be an airline pilot. Many AA pilots tried to steer may away while sitting Jump Seat. I stayed the course and am happy I did. This has been a tough lifestyle yet a rewarding job, eventually. I know many have gotten the interview from being an intern, however I and many others have not. Itís a tough call, but if you can afford the time me off, I would do it. You might have better luck scoring an interview from off the street to AA. Also, go to an AA WO to insure your investment. Despite what many think, AA does hire from its WO from Off the street. If you plan to go military, skip the internship.

Al Czervik
11-06-2017, 06:05 AM
AA must be full of them, only conclusion I can come to. Hoping Parker/Isom clean house.

They are....slowly.

TrinityDawn
11-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Another AA intern here that never heard a darn thing, no TBNT letter, 10+ years at Eagle/envoy, etc. Personally, at this point in time, I wouldnít bother with an internship.

windowseat
11-06-2017, 08:37 AM

The internship gives great insight into the airline world, especially if that's your end goal and have had no previous exposure. I interned about 10 years ago and enjoyed every day of it. If L.S. is still running the program she is great, so are all the other interns you'll get to spend time with. There are paid internships in Flight Ops Technical, the other positions such as in the CPO are unpaid. I interned in FOT.

Whether or not an internship will be worth it given the future hiring landscape is for you to decide. IMO, 3 months of not flying but learning a whole lot and meeting great people at AA will not set you back in your career. YMMV.

As for me, I was eventually at Envoy after the internship for about 7 years as well as being in the ANG. Interviewed outside of the flow and got the CJO at both AA and another major. I chose the other major for a variety of reasons. I know of at least a handful of interns around my year group who were offered interviews at AA as well.

Good luck.

SunDevilPilot
11-06-2017, 08:54 AM
The internship is fun, however it is time away from flying and unpaid, as I am sure you already know. I did mine quite some time ago and was able to Jump Seat and work in the Chief Pilots office in my home town. This allowed me to closer examine what it is to be an airline pilot. Many AA pilots tried to steer may away while sitting Jump Seat. I stayed the course and am happy I did. This has been a tough lifestyle yet a rewarding job, eventually. I know many have gotten the interview from being an intern, however I and many others have not. Itís a tough call, but if you can afford the time me off, I would do it. You might have better luck scoring an interview from off the street to AA. Also, go to an AA WO to insure your investment. Despite what many think, AA does hire from its WO from Off the street. If you plan to go military, skip the internship.
One thing to clarify is that it is now a paid internship, and it's a pretty high wage for being a college student. In my interview they seemed to really like that I was planning on going to Piedmont once I hit the regionals.

WhisperJet
11-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Absolutely do the internship. I know of several interns who ended up being hired with less (even zero) turbine PIC time. It's essentially a 3 month interview. If they like you, you go to a short stack. If not, you might spend years and years wondering why they haven't called.

SurfOBX12
11-06-2017, 12:47 PM
You can have 10k hours, LCA letter, and all the other boxes checked and still not get called. Making a connection from within could potentially give you the upper hand in getting hired in the future.

Flying Taco
11-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I still have some time to decide which path I want to take going forward. I greatly appreciate everyone's opinion on this thread so far!

Buzzlightyear
11-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Another AA intern here that never heard a darn thing, no TBNT letter, 10+ years at Eagle/envoy, etc. Personally, at this point in time, I wouldnít bother with an internship.
16+ years at eagle and never heard a peep after the internship. 4000 hours jet PIC, Check Airman, college grad. Internship was fun but didnít give me any meaningful edge up on competition. In todayís environment anything that slows you down from flying 100 hours a month to get to 1500 should be avoided.

FraxAvi8tor
11-06-2017, 08:32 PM
I would apply and see if you are even offered the internship, you could always say "no thanks", right? I'll state my experience here and people can take it however they take it.

I did a one semester internship about 10 years ago with a major airline, and at the time had every intention of becoming a professional pilot after that was completed--as I had dreamt about flying professionally my entire life. I graduated with two degrees and all of my ratings from an aviation university, and then went and did the internship. What I took away from the internship was that there were so many more opportunities at an airline besides flying, and that I had more interest in the business and operations of running one than I did in being in the front of a jet everyday. That translated into me going into operations and working my way up to where I am today, in a fairly senior role. I would never have imagined doing anything but flying, but I'm glad that the internship let me see another side of the business.

Today I feel like it'd be challenging for me to go back and fly professionally, considering the initial pay cut I'd take, starting at a lower seniority, etc., but it's still possible and I'd have an awesome fallback with all of my business experience if I didn't want to keep flying.

However, if I had only ever flown professionally, it'd be a much bigger gamble to the reverse, going from the cockpit to an office in hopes of working my way up from operations to higher level positions at an airline.

Anyway, that's just what happened for me from taking an unpaid airline internship, and I am always thankful for how that internship steered my career in the direction I took. Of course, everyones experience is different. Either way, it's just one semester, why not take the road less traveled considering how many years you have left in your career? Most people I interned with continued building hours and are now at major airlines, so you're going to be fine either way!

Sliceback
11-07-2017, 06:18 AM
There are pros and cons to every decision. Assuming you go to an AA WO regional after taking the internship, and not flying for three months like your peers, youíll flow to AA around three months, or more, after your peers do. Youíll lose $100,000 at the end of your career as well was being junior to those peers for your entire career.

TripD
11-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Summer 2008 Intern, unpaid position. Graduated ERAU with the same gentlemanís agreement for an eventual interview after the doom and gloom days of the internship.

Flew the regionals and then wide bodies at some ACMI carriers while continually keeping in touch with coworkers, pilots and Chief Pilots. Job fairs plus letters of rec from many of the above and silence till early 2017 even though app was in since hiring began. Got hired summer 2017; good luck to all!

ejet
02-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Iím thinking about applying for the summer internship at AA, is it really 6 months or can you do the standard May-August internship? Thanks

iHateAMR
02-26-2018, 05:42 AM
Iím thinking about applying for the summer internship at AA, is it really 6 months or can you do the standard May-August internship? Thanks

Iíll save you the trouble of scrolling up....

...Of the 13 interns in my class, 1 actually wanted to work at AA after, I was on the fence, and a 3rd didn't ever, but got hired by USAirways! They screwed the interns in true AMR fashion, and from the sounds of this forum, they haven't changed much with the line pilots either. Good luck to all still trying to go back for the beatings.

The only thing that isn't special is AA. Literally not one good quality.

16+ years at eagle and never heard a peep after the internship. 4000 hours jet PIC, Check Airman, college grad. Internship was fun but didnít give me any meaningful edge up on competition. In todayís environment anything that slows you down from flying 100 hours a month to get to 1500 should be avoided.

SunDevilPilot
02-26-2018, 04:24 PM
As a current intern here, I'll weigh in. I personally know of an inten from 2008 who just had an interview and got a CJO just last week (CKA, Piedmont). I have also met plenty of American pilots who were former interns. Some got here via the flow, others were lucky and got on off the street. For those that haven't gotten the call yet, I can't imagine why they don't have a shot in the future if they keep their apps current. As someone who sees the makeups of the new hire classes everyday, the competition for an off-the-street spot is fierce.

Being an intern does not mean you will get hired. It's on you to show the company you want to be there and can one day be trusted to fly their passengers around. This internship is a constant job interview, and you need to put your best foot forward at all times. At the end of the day, the people you work under carry a lot of weight in recommending you for hire one day.

Another thing to remember before applying is that you are not owed anything at AA nowadays. Times are good (incredible really) and the company is paying their interns (generously too, travel benefits included). Back in the bad old days, some interns were paid and some weren't, based on their GPA. From what I understand, the ones who weren't paid were given a handshake agreement for an eventual interview, and that seems completely fair to me. Like I said, times are different now.

One final word about the internship is that the number of interns has been reduced (because we get paid). In the old days, you would have groups of 20 or sometimes even 30+ interns, now it's just 3 per semester, and we're here for six months. What this means now is that you have more time to connect with (and if you're doing it right, impress) people than in previous years. If you work hard and put forth the effort at networking both during and after the internship, there is no way people will forget you for quite some time.

I'm incredibly lucky to be here and I think this will pay off in the end. I've met so many interesting and inspiring people, and regardless of how it plays out down the road, I'm a better (and definitely happier) person now because of this internship. Apply for it, get it, and do it.

Good luck to you as well as all the former interns trying to get on.