Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

idlethrust
05-09-2014, 07:42 AM
I was in stl yesterday and noticed a couple Trans States pilots with full goatees?I know airlines are desperate for pilots now but where does it end?In addition to that,i saw onother Trans States pilot with black pants on and a blue pilot jacket?And another with walmart dickie work pants on and he was working the flight,not deadheading.Where is the professionalism and self respect guys? I thought those two silver airlines guys i saw in atlanta the other day looked bad,and they did,looked like they were homeless,just raggedy and slouchy, until i seen these guys.Seeing this definetly dosent make anyone want to climb on board and work there.Not to mention the looks and stares they were geting from the passengers.Unbelievable that they allow that

cencal83406
05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
I was in stl yesterday and noticed a couple Trans States pilots with full goatees?I know airlines are desperate for pilots now but where does it end?In addition to that,i saw onother Trans States pilot with black pants on and a blue pilot jacket?And another with walmart dickie work pants on and he was working the flight,not deadheading.Where is the professionalism and self respect guys? I thought those two silver airlines guys i saw in atlanta the other day looked bad,and they did,looked like they were homeless,just raggedy and slouchy, until i seen these guys.Seeing this definetly dosent make anyone want to climb on board and work there.Not to mention the looks and stares they were geting from the passengers.Unbelievable that they allow that

Why do we only allow mustaches anyway? The "mask seal" line is B.S. Have you seen Captains and First Officers in Europe? They wear facial hair.

CBreezy
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Why do we only allow mustaches anyway? The "mask seal" line is B.S. Have you seen Captains and First Officers in Europe? They wear facial hair.

What's more unprofessional? Facial hair or someone that's 350lbs?

cornbeef007
05-09-2014, 07:55 AM

So you think a goatee look less professional then a full mustache?

Salukipilot4590
05-09-2014, 08:25 AM
I thought those two silver airlines guys i saw in atlanta the other day looked bad,

You said WHAT about me?

meah
05-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Dress as you are compensated. And they did. Get over it.

logan3db
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Your lack of gramar and langwege skills our unbelievable to. How is that allowed?

*all grammatical errors are for humor's sake*

In all seriousness. If you are going to flame pilots, I would make sure my ship was straight. We aren't perfect but have some pride, whether it be your uniform, or how you project yourself in speech and type.

If nothing else remember... He who casts the first stone.... Or something like that.

paxhauler85
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM

That's a weak argument. People who look like hell in the uniform have little to no self respect, and/or are extremely lazy.

That's right up there with "they don't pay me to look good." They don't pay you to tie your shoes, wipe your ass or blow your nose either. Do you do those things?

Would you guys go to church or a wedding in wrinkled slacks that don't fit, a yellowed shirt, loosened tie, and scuffed up shoes? No one is paying you to be there, which seems to be your justification for looking like a bum.

meah
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
They are not going to a wedding or a funeral. They are getting min rest to fly 6 legs a day at crap pay. Save your shaving and ironing for when you get home and are taking out a new bean.

bernouli
05-09-2014, 09:13 AM
The goatee is helpful in making the fat and unattractive look as if they have a defined jaw line. It's sweet.

Which TSA are we talkin about?

rustypigeon
05-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Things I have seen...

Pilot with a ponytail
Male FA with a mowhawk
FA wearing Crocs (with pant cuffs dragging on ground)
Pilot wearing black moccasin type footwear (with pant cuffs dragging on ground)
Pilot with white-framed surfer sunglasses
Pilot with black wrangler jeans
Female pilot with black hip hugger jeans

cencal83406
05-09-2014, 09:28 AM

What about 350 LB with facial hair? :D

I totally agree, the medical standards in this country suck. First thing we need to do is rein in overweight pilots. BMI > 25... no 1st class medical.

Funny thing is, as many people would object, many majors conduct physicals that hold airmen to higher standards than the 1st class, because they are making a 30+ year investment.

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM

So facial hair or BMI determine a pilots skill level or professionalism? You must be in the Abercrombie and Fitch flight department...

I'd prefer no beard, but I'll take a pilot with inherent skill and the ability to fly without having to look at the magic to tell him what to do any day of the week.

Both of your assumptions are without merit.

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-09-2014, 09:33 AM

I totally agree, the medical standards in this country suck. First thing we need to do is rein in overweight pilots. BMI > 25... no 1st class medical.

Funny thing is, as many people would object, many majors conduct physicals that hold airmen to higher standards than the 1st class, because they are making a 30+ year investment.

What does weight or BMI have to do with piloting skill? I know guys who are pilots who are weightlifters with BMI's in excess of 25. Should they lose their 1st? And guys who are overweight with no medical issues whatsoever; no cholesterol, BP or anything else. Then too?

What about guys whose BMI below 25 who have high cholesterol, BP, diabetes, and other things. They're OK with you since their BMI is below 25?

Do everyone a favor. Don't practice or expound on your clearly lacking medical knowledge.

Gearswinger
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Grow up and mind your own business. If it's not in accordance with their company's standards, they will be called in and forced to change. Unless you are the chief pilot there then you don't have a say.

Some of you need to get a life, this isn't junior high.

chignutsak
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM

My God, I have to like, tooootallllllly pluck my eyeballlllzzzzzzzz out after reeeeeeding thizzzz.

skypilot35
05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
That's a weak argument. People who look like hell in the uniform have little to no self respect, and/or are extremely lazy.

That's right up there with "they don't pay me to look good." They don't pay you to tie your shoes, wipe your ass or blow your nose either. Do you do those things?

Would you guys go to church or a wedding in wrinkled slacks that don't fit, a yellowed shirt, loosened tie, and scuffed up shoes? No one is paying you to be there, which seems to be your justification for looking like a bum.

100% agree. Perception is reality. If you look like a bag of hammered a$$H01e$ then you probably conduct yourself like one as well.

Let's get to it Professionals!

RgrMurdock
05-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Just let it go. Even in the new friendlier TSA environment guys can't walk around like that for long without getting called on it. Do you want me to give you the CP's number so you can call and act horrified?

BoilerUP
05-09-2014, 10:00 AM

What came first - professionalism or the paycheck?

If the former is reliant on the latter, you're doing it wrong....especially since compensation was known when employment was accepted.

Kinda the same principal as soldiers deployed in a war zone having to shave (well, not the DeltaRangerSeals).

I'd personally rather see facial hair than an overweight slob huffing as they drag their roller through the terminal or somebody with a dingy yellow shirt that's never seen an iron, but that's just the opinion of one guy that hates shaving.

skypilot35
05-09-2014, 10:02 AM
I think that may be part of the issue. People just let it go. Admittedly, it would be difficult to have a leg to stand on to address an individual's appearance if that individual is from another airline (unless he/she is in your jumpseat). However, we owe it to ourselves as a collective group and to the individual pilot to address professional shortcomings. I would venture to say that the general public could not tell the difference between a poorly dressed Skywest guy or a poorly dressed Delta guy (most Delta guys would argue that there is no such thing:)). Image matters.

flapshalfspeed
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
What does weight or BMI have to do with piloting skill? I know guys who are pilots who are weightlifters with BMI's in excess of 25. Should they lose their 1st? And guys who are overweight with no medical issues whatsoever; no cholesterol, BP or anything else. Then too?

What about guys whose BMI below 25 who have high cholesterol, BP, diabetes, and other things. They're OK with you since their BMI is below 25?

Do everyone a favor. Don't practice or expound on your clearly lacking medical knowledge.

Obese individuals are at higher risk of diabetes, hypertension, and congestive heart failure. While I agree with you that BMI alone shouldn't be disqualifying, I do think obese pilots should be further scrutinized and that all pilots should do cardiac stress testing/EKGs.

Which do you think is more likely to happen--an obese pilot having a heart attack, stroke, or going into diabetic shock? Or a fit pilot with a goatee going hypoxic or having a lung deflate because his oxygen mask doesn't seal perfectly enough on his chin?

I think we can all agree that obesity looks worse--and is more of a safety issue--than a goatee/5 o'clock shadow/hipster scruff.

HeavyDriver
05-09-2014, 10:04 AM

I'm 50 years old and Bench Press 405 for 8, Free Squat 495 for 10, and Leg press 1300lbs for sets of 10...I haven't had a BMI >25 since I was 16 years old....ok, my 3 mile run sucks at 20 minutes, but let's see what happens to a little >25 BMI'er try and take my first class medical away!..".Hulk get angry and Smash little momma's boy!"

drifter7
05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Why do you think this was a TSA pilot? There are a fair amount of cape air pilots walking around the stl terminal, they are allowed to have facial hair. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. Not every pilot with off color pants works at TSA.

flapshalfspeed
05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
If airlines are going to enforce military-derived appearance standards in one area (facial hair), they should enforce them in all areas to include BMI/fitness/etc..

On a biological level this is about doing what we want with our bodies/cells--if you want the freedom to be lazy and not exercise or eat healthy, I want the freedom to be lazy and not shave every single day. Neither is really going to kill anyone, and I look sexy as hell with a bit of scruff.

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Obese individuals are at higher risk of diabetes, hypertension, and congestive heart failure. While I agree with you that BMI alone shouldn't be disqualifying, I do think obese pilots should be further scrutinized and that all pilots should do cardiac stress testing/EKGs.

Which do you think is more likely to happen--an obese pilot having a heart attack, stroke, or going into diabetic shock? Or a fit pilot with a goatee going hypoxic or having a lung deflate because his oxygen mask doesn't seal perfectly enough on his chin?

I think we can all agree that obesity looks worse--and is more of a safety issue--than a goatee/5 o'clock shadow/hipster scruff.

Cow hockey. While that may be true in some, genetics play a much higher role. I have worked with more guys who have had the medical issues you assert are "more likely" with obese pilots who were thin, physically fit and had low BMI's than obese pilots. Each had genetic predispositions, most were under very high stress. One pilots family had a predisposition to cholesterol numbers that were way off the chart...and they were all physically fit, skinny as rails and lived well into their 80's. One that I know personally, a marathoner who makes health and fitness nuts look like rank amateurs, had a major heart attack in his late 30's...just like every other male member of his family.

A much better indicator would be annual bloodwork that included an A1C workup to see trending for potential blood sugar increase and cholesterol tracking.

Pilots have enough problems with pseudo idiots selling things like sleep apnea with nonfactual basis, other than as a profit center for sleep centers. We don't need fellow pilots making assumptions.

Unless of course, you want to face the fact that due to the stresses on pilots caused by industry upheaval, more than 80% suffer from depression and would be medicated for it if it wasn't the airline industry.

Wanna grab that live wire?

Your view is emotional because you don't like the way obesity "looks" and equate that to unprofessionalism. Which would you prefer? An obese pilot who is healthy and mentally OK? Or a "healthy looking" one who is under serious stress and depressed to the point of considering harming them self...and maybe others?

cencal83406
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
"Momma's Boy". Gee, that's an original insult.

I'm sorry if your 'roid rage makes you upset about the generic > 25 BMI comment. ;)

But, let's be realistic. There are always exceptions to the rule. If you are fit, you'll have no problem passing a realistic physical, BMI out of norm or not.

You guys know darn well the difference between yourselves, and the guys whose pilot shirts hide their belts because their stomach is so huge.

Why on earth would you want to lump yourself into that category by being offended that most people with BMIs over 25 look like fat slobs.

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/2857458-129029-happy-fat-man-with-black-panel.jpg

This guy is small compared to some of the pilots I fly with.

tom11011
05-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Perception is everything. If people perceive something to look good, then they believe it is good. And the reverse. Nothing to do with facial hair, plenty of men can look just fine with groomed facial hair. But every little thing can and does add up to the total perception of something.

Now if I'm in a hospital and I need heart surgery and my doctor comes in to meet me for the first time and he has a huge belly, his shirt comes out of his pants untucked all by itself, a belly hanging over his belt, messed up hair, stinks, wrinkled clothes, looks young with pimples, and has a bucket of kfc in one hand and a chicken leg in the other, yeah I'm probably going to go somewhere else. It's not that I would ask for a new doctor, I would simply go somewhere else because you have to wonder about the company too.

If you can't respect yourself, there's no way you can respect anyone or anything else. You are spending 1/4 of your entire life rotting away in hotels, use the time better.

JT8D
05-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Ignorant generalization.

Of course you never stopped to think that maybe this individual who "looks like hell in the uniform" has had a hellacious nonrev experience after working 6 days straight or had to travel at a moment's notice because a family member had just died. Nope, to you he's just lazy.

To him you're just an ignorant judgmental prick...

HeavyDriver
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
"Momma's Boy". Gee, that's an original insult.

Just as original as your "'roid rage" comment...lol...:D

TBucket
05-09-2014, 10:37 AM

You created a thread for this? I didn't think it was possible, but this is dumber than even the gojet threads.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/say_wha.gif

tom11011
05-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Ignorant generalization.

Of course you never stopped to think that maybe this individual who "looks like hell in the uniform" has had a hellacious nonrev experience after working 6 days straight or had to travel at a moment's notice because a family member had just died. Nope, to you he's just lazy.

To him you're just a judgmental prick...

Take off the hat, epaulettes, and tie.

05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
fupm, cant afford food let alone dry cleaning or new union forms, 16K a year at republic doesnt go far

clearprop
05-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Can I please get back the 5 minutes of my life I wasted reading this thread?

RAH RAH REE
05-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Like it or not we are not professionals, we are blue collar employees in uniforms with white collars.

We are all just a number in a huge factory that produces a cheap product that breaks all the time and sells it to a cheap general public.

SMACFUM
05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Like it or not we are not professionals, we are blue collar employees in uniforms with white collars.

We are all just a number in a huge factory that produces a cheap product that breaks all the time and sells it to a cheap general public.

ding ding ding!!!!

80ktsClamp
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm amazed but not particularly surprised at those trying to defend looking like crap.

You want a top tier job in aviation? Dress like it. The attitude of "pay me and then I'll start looking professional" is one of the surest ways to get stuck at a low tier job.

MiLa
05-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I'm amazed but not particularly surprised at those trying to defend looking like crap.

You want a top tier job in aviation? Dress like it. The attitude of "pay me and then I'll start looking professional" is one of the surest ways to get stuck at a low tier job.

Exactly! Agree 100%

meeko031
05-09-2014, 11:18 AM

They are not going to a wedding or a funeral. They are getting min rest to fly 6 legs a day at crap pay. Save your shaving and ironing for when you get home and are taking out a new bean.

...this a great example of having poor attitude, your pay has nothing to do with professionalism !

Would you dress less than a shirt and tie to a wedding or funeral because you didn't get any sleep the night before or you are poorly compensated?

Nantonaku
05-09-2014, 11:28 AM

This thread is ridiculous, who cares? And just because you fly for the big boys doesn't mean you will dress or look any better. We have all seen pilots for Major carriers that look like they slept in their clothes. But again, who cares?

mooney
05-09-2014, 12:12 PM

then tell me how come whenever I see you in uniform you always have a VPL? :p

paxhauler85
05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Ignorant generalization.

No, it isn't. I used to commute across the country, been there done that. Never came home looking homeless because I began the day in clothes that were clean and in good repair when I put them on.

My shirts 1)fit, and 2)are washed after each day of wear. I take my slacks to the cleaners once a month (costs $3.50), and wipe off stains with a damp cloth. They also fit, as hemmed by the Asian lady at the tailor shop for $10. I shine my shoes at home every couple of weeks. I iron my shirts, but that's my personal preference. The dry cleaners will press them and crease the sleeve for you if you ask.

It's pretty simple. I don't store my slacks balled up in the corner of my closet. My shirts go on a hanger after the dryer and ironing board. No matter how "rushed" my departure might be, the clothes are in the same shape every time I put them on.

I'd never give someone a hard time about how they look unless they worked for my airline, and were seriously violating part of my own airline's uniform policy. Everyone has their days, I get that. You know who doesn't? The legacy pilot riding in back, or who is flying your airplane (that you could be networking with). The management type who may be sitting in first class. Any one of the hundreds of attractive women we see at airports and hotels every day. The weary flyer who stares at you walking through the terminal. If you don't see the value in looking presentable every day, then you're beyond help.

I agree, this isn't the navy, but if fast food workers wear their uniform better than you wear yours, that's a problem.

Blackwing
05-09-2014, 12:40 PM

Lemme guess: you're still in your twenties and still have--and fit into--jeans you wore in high school.

80ktsClamp
05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
This thread is ridiculous, who cares? And just because you fly for the big boys doesn't mean you will dress or look any better. We have all seen pilots for Major carriers that look like they slept in their clothes. But again, who cares?

You cared enough to post in it as well as enough to get butthurt over my reply on looking professional.

then tell me how come whenever I see you in uniform you always have a VPL? :p

Just because I look professional doesn't mean I can't feel sexy too.

tom14cat14
05-09-2014, 12:44 PM

First thing we should rein in are Jack A$$ pilots like you. So I am fat. Now I can not fly a plane safely or look professional. Next you are going to say anyone with Blonde hair and blue eyes should not get a medical because they must be Nazi's.

lolwut
05-09-2014, 12:51 PM
First thing we should rein in are Jack A$$ pilots like you. So I am fat. Now I can not fly a plane safely or look professional. Next you are going to say anyone with Blonde hair and blue eyes should not get a medical because they must be Nazi's.

Never fails...

http://cdn3.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/features/3500122/godwinsLaw.png

Blackwing
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Perception is everything. If people perceive something to look good, then they believe it is good. And the reverse. Nothing to do with facial hair, plenty of men can look just fine with groomed facial hair. But every little thing can and does add up to the total perception of something.

Now if I'm in a hospital and I need heart surgery and my doctor comes in to meet me for the first time and he has a huge belly, his shirt comes out of his pants untucked all by itself, a belly hanging over his belt, messed up hair, stinks, wrinkled clothes, looks young with pimples, and has a bucket of kfc in one hand and a chicken leg in the other, yeah I'm probably going to go somewhere else. It's not that I would ask for a new doctor, I would simply go somewhere else because you have to wonder about the company too.

I'd be far more interested in this doc's patient outcomes. If he's the best at what he does, who cares what he looks like?

You young guys have a preoccupation with the superficial.You probably think Gulfstream Girl is a great pilot because she's thin. It's the form vs substance or function vs fashion debate.

I don't blame you, western culture is obsessed with appearance. But didn't your momma tell you to not judge a book by its cover? Or as Yoda said, "judge me by my size, do you?"

News flash for ya: beauty fades. Just as you'll learn over time that you're not actually immortal, you'll develop a fat roll you can't get rid of no matter how much you exercise, due to your slowing metabolism. You'll wake up one day and your formerly hot wife will have back fat, saggy breasts and cottage-cheese thighs. And you'll have young FOs bagging on you behind your back for your diminished mental elasticity and poor taste in music.

Get over yourselves already.

DegeReguard
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Never fails...

Hahaha!

Now that's the truth!

tom14cat14
05-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Never fails...

I usually try to stay out of flame wars but I am sick of fat people bashing and saying they should not be pilots. There are a lot of things I do not like but Do not say I think they should not be pilots. Lets Face it we sit on our Butt all day long we do not need to be very physically fit for this job. Yes we run a higher risk of dying from a number of obesity related diseases how ever it is still pretty rare when one of us keels over dead up front so there really is no need to start limiting who can fly based on how fit they are. This is not the military.

cencal83406
05-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Well how fat are you?

And, why would I say the second thing - wouldn't want to exclude myself from the medical ;)

Why all the butt hurt?

HeavyDriver made a good point, BMI isn't always an accurate predictor of health, I accept that.

Let's start with this, if you look like a modern NFL offensive or defensive lineman, you might be a little on the "fat" side.

I guess when I fly with you, I'll make sure to scramble out the escape hatch first. :D

Seminole00
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
:D
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111104223725/starwars/images/5/53/Porkins.jpg

tom14cat14
05-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Well how fat are you?

And, why would I say the second thing - wouldn't want to exclude myself from the medical ;)

Why all the butt hurt?

HeavyDriver made a good point, BMI isn't always an accurate predictor of health, I accept that.

Let's start with this, if you look like a modern NFL offensive or defensive lineman, you might be a little on the "fat" side.

I guess when I fly with you, I'll make sure to scramble out the escape hatch first. :D

Thats part of my brief. You go first because my a$$ is not getting out.

DC8DRIVER
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
The problem is that we are in a service industry where our passengers are the customers. It is their perception that becomes the issue when they see a pilot and (rightly or wrongly) they think "Dress as you Fly" i.e. sloppy / careless dresser = sloppy / careless pilot. Passengers then vote with their feet and fly the carrier with the best looking planes and pilots. It creates a lose / lose scenario.

While, obviously, we know that appearance does not make the pilot more or less qualified or proficient, it can represent to others the attitude you have about yourself and your profession. Like it or not, how you appear makes a statement to anyone who sees you and in industries like ours, appearances do make a difference.

I fly boxes for our company 90% of the time and our customers never see me, yet I still choose to dress well (interestingly, when we reach the top of climb on a 12 or 14 hour flight, we change into "cruise clothes" which range from polo shirts to track suits to sweats. This is done not only for comfort, but to preserve our uniform's appearance at the other end of the flight - as well as cutting down on the number of shirts we need to carry on a 15 day trip). To me it's not about how my company treats me, it's about how I treat my chosen profession. I respect myself and my profession and I dress in a way that reflects this respect regardless of how little I am paid or how poorly I am treated .

rickair7777
05-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Things I have seen...

Pilot with a ponytail

You fly with Pat?

rickair7777
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Why do you think this was a TSA pilot? There are a fair amount of cape air pilots walking around the stl terminal, they are allowed to have facial hair. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. Not every pilot with off color pants works at TSA.

Yup. I suspect they worked for some outfit (121, 135, or 91) that actually allows it. Most companies would catch up pretty quick to one of their dudes if was walking around with significantly deviant facial hair.

rickair7777
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
No, it isn't. I used to commute across the country, been there done that. Never came home looking homeless because I began the day in clothes that were clean and in good repair when I put them on.

My shirts 1)fit, and 2)are washed after each day of wear. I take my slacks to the cleaners once a month (costs $3.50), and wipe off stains with a damp cloth. They also fit, as hemmed by the Asian lady at the tailor shop for $10. I shine my shoes at home every couple of weeks. I iron my shirts, but that's my personal preference. The dry cleaners will press them and crease the sleeve for you if you ask.

It's pretty simple. I don't store my slacks balled up in the corner of my closet. My shirts go on a hanger after the dryer and ironing board. No matter how "rushed" my departure might be, the clothes are in the same shape every time I put them on.

I'd never give someone a hard time about how they look unless they worked for my airline, and were seriously violating part of my own airline's uniform policy. Everyone has their days, I get that. You know who doesn't? The legacy pilot riding in back, or who is flying your airplane (that you could be networking with). The management type who may be sitting in first class. Any one of the hundreds of attractive women we see at airports and hotels every day. The weary flyer who stares at you walking through the terminal. If you don't see the value in looking presentable every day, then you're beyond help.

I agree, this isn't the navy, but if fast food workers wear their uniform better than you wear yours, that's a problem.

What he said. It's just the nature of our profession, and it's not that hard. I can pack for a five-day trip, after that I'll be looking for hotel laundry room.

I'd love to wear a fu manchu, they say it makes me look like Sam Elliot but unfortunately it's just not in the cards. Just another of the myriad drawbacks to (airline) aviation.

rickair7777
05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Ignorant generalization.

In defense of paxhauler85...the folks who "look like hell" seem to look that way every time I see them. They must have a lot of bad days.

rickair7777
05-09-2014, 02:18 PM

This is a fundamental tenant of career progression in the business world...dress and act like the next job you want.

cfii2007
05-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Professionalism in this industry died when regionals started paying $20,000 a year and hiring pilots with 500 hours total time.

lolwut
05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/99236454.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EF02D7492C29D69398BEEC0806566302F52060B31DEB009D CAFF4222DE3416A8

Serious stubble. No tie.

Is he in that 747 cockpit? Nope, its flying right by without him. Theres a reason for that.

And deep down, he knows that. The frown says it all.

KillmeNow
05-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Ok, I will bite...Which one is it?

Hurryage65
05-09-2014, 03:46 PM
:D
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111104223725/starwars/images/5/53/Porkins.jpg

Hahahahahah good point he didn't make it, looked like a CG issue.

I agree We are blue collar employees forced to wear white ones,
Ya I'm sure the reason I'm not at Delta yet is my attire :rolleyes:

Positive_Rate
05-09-2014, 04:26 PM

THIS. I know a couple of cape pilots out of STL and at least one I know has a goatee. OP: find something else to complain about.

http://i.imgur.com/2igNf3Z.gif

NCR757dxr
05-09-2014, 04:31 PM
I'd take either over the guys with the aviators, leather jackets, and/or big watches.

You are a douche..... you probably wear all three from above.

Each day I read more and more crap on the Regional forum and each day I'm just a bit more thankful than the day before that I'm not involved with this lifestyle.

BoilerUP
05-09-2014, 05:03 PM
What an airline pilot might look like in the not-too-distant future:

http://sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/Captain_B_McCrea-1.jpeg

Ultimately, the bottom line is this:

The compensation AND the basic standards for appearance were pretty much known when employment was accepted. One can try to blame management and payrates all they want for their personal slobbery, but that dog don't hunt.

TheFly
05-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Things I have seen...

Pilot with a ponytail
Male FA with a mowhawk
FA wearing Crocs (with pant cuffs dragging on ground)
Pilot wearing black moccasin type footwear (with pant cuffs dragging on ground)
Pilot with white-framed surfer sunglasses
Pilot with black wrangler jeans
Female pilot with black hip hugger jeans

Add regional Captain wearing skinny slacks. This guy...:rolleyes:

cencal83406
05-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd take either over the guys with the aviators, leather jackets, and/or big watches.

You are a douche..... you probably wear all three from above.

Each day I read more and more crap on the Regional forum and each day I'm just a bit more thankful than the day before that I'm not involved with this lifestyle.

All three what? :D

Piedmonster
05-09-2014, 08:56 PM
This thread is F'n ridiculous....

minimwage4
05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
This thread is F'n ridiculous....

And apparently it's good and informative enough were it hasn't been killed off by the mods.

Salukipilot4590
05-09-2014, 09:08 PM
OP: 1v1 me bro

JamesNoBrakes
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
What does weight or BMI have to do with piloting skill? I know guys who are pilots who are weightlifters with BMI's in excess of 25.

Well naturally. Whenever this topic comes up suddenly EVERYONE is a bodybuilder...

Loon
05-10-2014, 03:56 AM

I see people ALL the time at church in flip flops. Our society is full of degenerates; it's actually condoned! Just look at the legalization of pot. As far as goatees go: so 90's, why would anyone wear one today?

B200 Hawk
05-10-2014, 04:17 AM
http://popculted.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/batman-haters.jpg

pause
05-10-2014, 05:14 AM
You created a thread for this? I didn't think it was possible, but this is dumber than even the gojet threads.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/say_wha.gif

Yet, here you are participating just like you do in every GoJet thread

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-10-2014, 05:31 AM
100% agree. Perception is reality. If you look like a bag of hammered a$$H01e$ then you probably conduct yourself like one as well.

Let's get to it Professionals!

Because you SHOULD all want to look like me. Perception IS reality.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2010/04/ny-post-american-eagle-pilot-a.html/

Signed,

Tim Martins

prior121
05-10-2014, 07:04 AM

This^

This isn't about how much we are or are not paid.

To add to that:

It's about us caring about how WE look, not even how much we care about how our airline is portrayed.

I workout and stay in shape for me, not this job.

I get my uniformed dry cleaned for me, not this company.

I get my shoes shined for me, not this company.

I'm amazed at all these slobs I see at the airport with no D*mn self respect!

Mason32
05-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Shirt size = professionalism.

Not sure if you understand the meaning of the word professionalism.

Governor Christie lacks professionalism?

WhoCares
05-10-2014, 08:47 AM
They are getting min rest to fly 6 legs a day at crap pay.

People who look like hell in the uniform have little to no self respect, and/or are extremely lazy.

The chicken or the egg.

skypilot35
05-10-2014, 10:23 AM
When you walk around the airport in your uniform, people don't see YOU, they see an airline pilot. They don't see ME, they see an airline pilot (a good looking one at that). They see US. Not a United, Delta, American, Skywest, Compass, TSA, Great Lakes, Horizon pilot. They see a pilot. We represent a profession and should take pride in who we are and what we do. PART of that is our appearance. It takes 2 minutes to throw some shoe polish on my shoes and buff them out. It takes me ten minutes to run an iron over my uniform. Im not loving every minute of doing it but I do it because I want to represent myself and my fellow "professionals" well. This is OUR profession. Stay sharp!

tom11011
05-10-2014, 11:35 AM
You have to be kidding me!

His post has already been reported to mods for flaming.

BoilerUP
05-10-2014, 11:38 AM
You are either an "airline pilot" i.e. a mainline pilot, or a "commuter pilot" i.e. a regional pilot. I don't consider commuter pilots real airline pilots.

1/10

Troll too obvious.

Al Czervik
05-10-2014, 11:45 AM
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/99236454.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EF02D7492C29D69398BEEC0806566302F52060B31DEB009D CAFF4222DE3416A8

Serious stubble. No tie.

Is he in that 747 cockpit? Nope, its flying right by without him. Theres a reason for that.

This is the top notch stuff I expect from you. Well done!!

FlyingKat
05-10-2014, 01:45 PM

How do you know they were TSA? Blowjet, Republic, Mesa and some others wear the old US Airways uniform like we do.

Bet they weren't wearing hats either :p

Part of this is generational as clothing standards have become more casual. Look at the folks in the back. I can remember when we used to have to wear a tie to nonrev in first class and business casual in coach, then they relaxed it because the only people wearing ties were the nonrevs. I actually had an old time Delta agent refuse to put me in First Class because I didn't have a jacket with me in July in the late 90s. There was a poll about tattoos recently and something like 40 percent under 30 had ink, and 70 percent had a positive view of them.

cfii2007
05-10-2014, 02:47 PM
How do you know they were TSA? Blowjet, Republic, Mesa and some others wear the old US Airways uniform like we do.

Bet they weren't wearing hats either :p

Part of this is generational as clothing standards have become more casual. Look at the folks in the back. I can remember when we used to have to wear a tie to nonrev in first class and business casual in coach, then they relaxed it because the only people wearing ties were the nonrevs. I actually had an old time Delta agent refuse to put me in First Class because I didn't have a jacket with me in July in the late 90s. There was a poll about tattoos recently and something like 40 percent under 30 had ink, and 70 percent had a positive view of them.

Appearance standards back in the 1950's for pilot was so radically different compared to modern times. The airline pilot was comparable in regards to prestige similar to a physician or lawyer.

Either way, it isn't an excuse to dress like a slob.

l1011
05-10-2014, 05:57 PM

So your one of those guys, eh... Get over it! As others have pointed out, not much left to take pride in with this job at the regional level.

D B Cooper
05-10-2014, 06:15 PM

For $15 the Asian lady at the tailor will do more than that.

NovemberBravo
05-10-2014, 06:34 PM
There should be no issue with well trimmed facial hair. Most guys look horrible with just a mustache.

tom11011
05-10-2014, 07:47 PM
So your one of those guys, eh... Get over it! As others have pointed out, not much left to take pride in with this job at the regional level.

Not about pride in your job, its about pride in yourself.

FlyingKat
05-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Appearance standards back in the 1950's for pilot was so radically different compared to modern times. The airline pilot was comparable in regards to prestige similar to a physician or lawyer.

Either way, it isn't an excuse to dress like a slob.

Not excusing it just pointing out that people have a much more casual attitude about dress than they used to. Also keep in mind airlines used to pay for their crews uniforms to be laundered and pressed every night at the hotel as well.

meah
05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
This is all mainlines fault for bending over and spraying scope out. And that is the end all truth of all of this regional abortion. There is zero argument that holds against that point.

BoilerUP
05-11-2014, 03:50 AM
This is all mainlines fault for bending over and spraying scope out. And that is the end all truth of all of this regional abortion. There is zero argument that holds against that point.

Actually, there's plenty of argument that "holds against that point" that some regional pilots making the decision to look like slobs is the fault of mainline.

NERD
05-11-2014, 05:33 AM
So 9 pages rationalizing why it's OK to look like a slob. More importantly, has the fact that a gotee is totally gay been addressed?

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-11-2014, 05:43 AM
So 9 pages rationalizing why it's OK to look like a slob. More importantly, has the fact that a gotee is totally gay been addressed?

"Totally gay?" What kind of horses *ss are you? Please...go try that line with guys at British Airways, Lufthansa, KLM or Cathay...and let us know where to send your teeth after they sweep the floor with you.

This industry isn't going into the crapper because of guys who are overweight or who wear facial hair. It's headed there because of idiots like you.

NERD
05-11-2014, 05:54 AM
I could care less what the euro boys like. If they want to look like a flight attendant, that is their choice. Maybe the gotee fans can all go work at Virgin America and wear the fashionable black waiter uniforms. At least euro boys don't look like slobs in their uniforms.

Loon
05-11-2014, 06:03 AM
"Totally gay?" What kind of horses *ss are you? Please...go try that line with guys at British Airways, Lufthansa, KLM or Cathay...and let us know where to send your teeth after they sweep the floor with you.

This industry isn't going into the crapper because of guys who are overweight or who wear facial hair. It's headed there because of idiots like you.

Someone had nails for breakfast! Geez:confused:

HeadInTheTops
05-11-2014, 06:04 AM
I disagree. We share a profession with these pilots. That gives us a stake. The public views us as pilots, and doesn't divide us into dozens of subgroups, so the slobs are speaking for YOU. I don't mind speaking back.
Low pay and long hours (6 legs isn't long, FYI), are no excuse for not doing the job. And if you think PR isn't part of our job, you're mistaken.

NERD
05-11-2014, 06:05 AM
I think he might be overweight and want a gotee:D

Someone had nails for breakfast! Geez:confused:

Loon
05-11-2014, 06:05 AM

Actually I mentioned it somewhere around page 3:p

block30
05-11-2014, 06:08 AM

Serious stubble. No tie.

I wanted to avoid the thread, but that......

...that made me laugh.

:cool:

Dutch1
05-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I disagree. We share a profession with these pilots. That gives us a stake. The public views us as pilots, and doesn't divide us into dozens of subgroups, so the slobs are speaking for YOU. I don't mind speaking back.
Low pay and long hours (6 legs isn't long, FYI), are no excuse for not doing the job. And if you think PR isn't part of our job, you're mistaken.

If you allow him to speak for you, you are an idiot. Speak for yourself. Guys who dress like that have given up. If you allow him to speak for you, you have given up. And giving up is idiotic. It is exactly what management wants you to do.

prior121
05-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by NERD

Uhhhh, what? Did you just turn this into a Euro pilot can beat up a US pilot??

No goatees are totally stupid and unprofessional.

So are fat pilots. If you say otherwise you're probably a fat pilot.

Truman_Sparks
05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Rode in van with a Silver crew. The Captain had an earring in each ear.

bernouli
05-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Rode in van with a Silver crew. The Captain had an earring in each ear.

But was she fat with facial hair?

RJ Pilot
05-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Saw a PSA pilot with the "stop the whipsaw" sticker on his kitbag.

swamp
05-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I think the topic of the overweight pilot is a great debate. In the past few years at Endeavor we have had a few pilots die a very young death (late 30s) because of health related issues. The common bond between these unfortunate deaths, were obesity. Aside the fact that part of this job, right or wrong, is public perception. Anybody who knows anything about the Delta hiring process knows they are keen on "the look". I'd be willing to bet some of the guys at Endeavor who were turned down by Delta via the SSP, were solely denied because of their large waistline.

ATCsaidDoWhat
05-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I think the topic of the overweight pilot is a great debate. In the past few years at Endeavor we have had a few pilots die a very young death (late 30s) because of health related issues. The common bond between these unfortunate deaths, were obesity. Aside the fact that part of this job, right or wrong, is public perception. Anybody who knows anything about the Delta hiring process knows they are keen on "the look". I'd be willing to bet some of the guys at Endeavor who were turned down by Delta via the SSP, were solely denied because of their large waistline.

Just wondering here. How many times has "the look" kept them from landing at the wrong airport? Or taxiway? Does "the look" keep you from violating FAR's or going off track when you're oceanic?

I'll take a humble guy with a few pounds who can fly over an ego with "the look" any day of the week.

skypilot35
05-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Just wondering here. How many times has "the look" kept them from landing at the wrong airport? Or taxiway? Does "the look" keep you from violating FAR's or going off track when you're oceanic?

I'll take a humble guy with a few pounds who can fly over an ego with "the look" any day of the week.

I don't think you get the point. He's not saying a fat guy can't fly well, he's saying he can't look good doing it with a cheeseburger stain on his shirt and a diet coke in his hand. Furthermore, just because you take the time to invest in your health (the look) does not mean you have an ego, although most of us do. What is so difficult to understand about having a professional appearance?

prior121
05-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp

^Clearly a fat pilot^

tom11011
05-11-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't think you get the point. He's not saying a fat guy can't fly well, he's saying he can't look good doing it with a cheeseburger stain on his shirt and a diet coke in his hand. Furthermore, just because you take the time to invest in your health (the look) does not mean you have an ego, although most of us do. What is so difficult to understand about having a professional appearance?

Your words are wasted on some of these people. Just don't stand or sit next to them when you are all in the Delta Airlines HR interviews waiting room.

Loon
05-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Plus when a person is fat, we ALL pay for it thru increased health insurance premiums and increased taxes(medicare and medicaid). There is no reason to be fat, period.

CBreezy
05-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Because many pilots think the only important thing for a pilot is how well they fly. There is no consideration of how appearance plays into the business side of aviation. Doctors don't show up to appointments with stained scrubs or a stained coat. Lawyers don't show up to court with mustard stains on their ties or without a suit. Part of being a professional is looking the part. If you can't control yourself enough to not stuff fried food in your face everyday and maintain a healthy lifestyle, why should anyone give you a job where you put other people's lives in your hands?

Loon
05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Because many pilots think the only important thing for a pilot is how well they fly. There is no consideration of how appearance plays into the business side of aviation. Doctors don't show up to appointments with stained scrubs or a stained coat. Lawyers don't show up to court with mustard stains on their ties or without a suit. Part of being a professional is looking the part. If you can't control yourself enough to not stuff fried food in your face everyday and maintain a healthy lifestyle, why should anyone give you a job where you put other people's lives in your hands?

Well said. I would also like to question those that do so: I understand grabbing some food and eating it in the cockpit, but do you REALLY need to bring your gigantic feedbag in the cockpit EVERY leg?! And, of course, leave it right in the way of our egress route...:rolleyes:

meah
05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Why would someone be fat anyways? Fat guys cant score hot chicks. Thats a fact jack!

ClarenceOver
05-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Why would someone be fat anyways? Fat guys cant score hot chicks. Thats a fact jack!

Fat pilots in uniforms that are pressed and neat and carry themselves well can.

skypilot35
05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Some chics like the chubby.

Gearswinger
05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
The number of pilots who define their existence by by their choice to fly planes is pathetic. Dress appropriately for whatever situation you are in, let others worry about their own body types and dress. If their choices are inappropriate then they will be harmed by it and you can silently continue to feel superior to everyone else.

HeadInTheTops
05-11-2014, 04:35 PM
If you allow him to speak for you, you are an idiot. Speak for yourself. Guys who dress like that have given up. If you allow him to speak for you, you have given up. And giving up is idiotic. It is exactly what management wants you to do.

I didn't mean literally speak. I meant speak in the sense that he/she is representing MY profession (and YOURS, I'm not selfish :P).
And I do call that crap out when I see it.

Signed,

THAT guy.

Salukipilot4590
05-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Pffffft you don't know me

BeechedJet
05-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Pffffft you don't know me

Well actually

LNL76
05-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Prefer meaty to scrawny EVERY time! lol

TBucket
05-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Saw a PSA pilot with the "stop the whipsaw" sticker on his kitbag.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8RDtKz9N--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/yqqle44xnvbpxc36bhq1.gif

CBreezy
05-11-2014, 05:33 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8RDtKz9N--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/yqqle44xnvbpxc36bhq1.gif

It's very possible he was a no voter. My your rationale, everyone here is a huge Obama supporter.

TBucket
05-11-2014, 07:24 PM
It's very possible he was a no voter. My your rationale, everyone here is a huge Obama supporter.

That's entirely possible. But there's no funny .gif for that.

cartean
05-12-2014, 03:14 AM

Rich fat guys can.

pengu
05-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Chicks do not care what is ABOVE a guys belt.....

Salukipilot4590
05-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Well actually

We must never speak of that evening/relationship again

DryMotorBoatin
05-12-2014, 01:45 PM
1355 there are some people who seriously need their a-- whipped. Whoever can put their uniform on and look at themselves in the mirror with a stage 5 faux hawk is one of those people.

NCR757dxr
05-12-2014, 03:11 PM
1355 there are some people who seriously need their a-- whipped. Whoever can put their uniform on and look at themselves in the mirror with a stage 5 faux hawk is one of those people.

Why do you got to hate? Don't you have anything better to do other then take pictures of fellow pilots without their knowledge and post them on an internet forum while hiding behind a username and Happy Gilmore avatar.

Some of you guys are real *******s in this forum. While you are trying to stop the "Walmart industry" you are only solidifing the stereotype that all airline pilots are judgmental dicks.

Cruz5350
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm almost positive I know who that is in that photo if it's who I think it is he's had that hair do for awhile.

Seminole00
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
1355 there are some people who seriously need their a-- whipped.

I agree, like those who take pictures of other pilots with out their permission, and post them on a public forum.

JamesNoBrakes
05-12-2014, 04:30 PM
And what about that Rock Music that they listen to!

Dejavu
05-12-2014, 05:24 PM

You must be bald lol

bernouli
05-12-2014, 11:43 PM

So why didn't you whip his a-- then? You were clearly right behind him.

Oh I get it. It's better to just quickly snap his picture from behind like a vagina and run back to the internet where it's safe.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1