Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : East West Presentation

USAPALACKSINTEG
05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Please insert here if anyone has it.

80ktsClamp
05-15-2014, 02:35 PM
http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/Microsoft-Office-PowerPoint-2007Images/Create_Blank_Presentation___A_New_Blank_Presentati on_Appears_In.PNG

The Drizzle
05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I do love a gimmicky account name.

FlugzeugVW
05-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Please insert here if anyone has it.

http://giant.gfycat.com/HeartfeltScratchyBillygoat.gif

cactiboss
05-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Here it is.

AWAPPA Members Forum (http://www.awappa.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9052&d=1400041797)

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

Fellow America West pilots,

Several weeks ago, Captains John Hale and Bob Johnson, Flight Department leadership from American Airlines, invited AWA First Officer David Braid to meet with them at American Airlines Headquarters in Dallas to discuss a variety of issues facing West pilots. David, taking the invitation very seriously, spent countless hours of his free time researching and preparing a 46-page PowerPoint presentation to present to Captains Hale and Johnson. In composing the presentation, David spoke to several respected AWA subject matter experts, and in addition consulted company SEC filings and other citable sources upon which his presentation was based to ensure factual accuracy. David even went so far as to consult the PHX Chief Pilots office in advance of the meeting, and received their blessing and support.

A copy of the presentation may be downloaded HERE. In short, the presentation describes the proverbial "island" the PHX domicile has become as a result of the spiteful actions of USAPA and certain East managers, and the willful neglect of our corporate leadership. Fully cognizant that neither Captain Hale nor Captain Johnson were a party to any of these acts, the presentation only asked that the disparate treatment cease.

On April 8, 2014, David flew to Dallas and had what he described as a "successful" meeting with Captains Hale and Johnson. David stated that he believed that his presentation was well received by Captains Hale and Johnson. At the close of the meeting, Captain Hale promised David to research the issues presented and provide him some answers within a few weeks.

Unfortunately, since that April 8 meeting, life on the "island" has continued to degrade significantly. The entire base remains critically staffed, and our pairings have degraded to a dangerous level never previously seen. For the June bid period, the company is using the "flex" provision in the AWA contract for the first time in 9 years to build First Officer lines as high as 94 hours over the summer. This comes only one year after the company's decision to unilaterally slash long-standing quantities of summer vacation allocation, resulting in perhaps the worst staffing-driven operational disaster PHX has seen. Additionally, there is no relief to come, as many long-time West check airmen have recently resigned allegedly due to their degrading working conditions in the Training Department (the only department still lead by an East pilot). While conditions continue to deteriorate to unprecedented levels on the PHX island, both the East and the AA sides of the company continue to be flush with record movement and hiring. While the lack of movement may affect some of our pilots more than others, the most concerning bit about this situation is the potential weapon that it creates for use against us by both USAPA and APA in the McCaskill-Bond seniority integration process.

A few days ago, Captain Hale contacted David, as promised, to provide him a response to his April 8 presentation. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Captain Hale informed David that the company would not take any action to remedy our situation. Worse yet, following the adverse reaction to this news by many of our pilots, the company began a grass-roots crew room effort to prevent an operational meltdown over the summer. The essence of the company's crew room message is that things in PHX will be "fixed" at some uncertain point in the future by some unknown and uncertain remedy. Our pilots, and particularly our captains, are asked to be "patient" about our situation, and pay no attention to the ongoing and worsening disparities between PHX and the other parts of the airline. Worse yet, some managers have even suggested that David's presentation is "emotional" and "overreaching."

We sent this message because we believe that all America West pilots should be aware of these facts. We encourage all pilots to review the presentation and draw their own conclusions about our situation.

AWAPPA

CamYZ125
05-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Wow, had no idea that was going on out there. 94 hour lines? Yuck. I'd think sick and fatigue calls would certainly rise with that much (forced) flying.

lolwut
05-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Wow, that writer sure is confused.

There isn't a single America West pilot out there, and hasn't been in.. what.. 9 years? There are plenty of PHX based US Airways pilots though.

They're either living in the past or greatly misguided.

I also can't really figure out whats going on. It seems like they're addressing their company issues (staffing/schedules/etc) at the union and taking their union issues to the company?

R57 relay
05-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Awww. I thought it was the mean old east managers that caused you all to be downtrodden . Now it's the mean old AA ones. Pathetic.

The fact is that economically the PHX base should be about 20% smaller than it is.

I guarantee His presentation was just that.

R57 relay
05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Wow, had no idea that was going on out there. 94 hour lines? Yuck. I'd think sick and fatigue calls would certainly rise with that much (forced) flying.

Ask them how many voluntarily fly more than that. It's BS.

CaptainBigWood
05-17-2014, 03:10 AM
"David's presentation is "emotional" and "overreaching."
I love that phrase coming from a West pilot.
How do you think the East Pilots felt when the NIC was presented and they found with 17 years of service they were placed junior to a West new hire?

FreighterGuyNow
05-17-2014, 05:23 AM
Wow, that writer sure is confused.

There isn't a single America West pilot out there, and hasn't been in.. what.. 9 years? There are plenty of PHX based US Airways pilots though.

They're either living in the past or greatly misguided.

I also can't really figure out whats going on. It seems like they're addressing their company issues (staffing/schedules/etc) at the union and taking their union issues to the company?

We've been flexed to 95 out East for the last 5 years. We had our summer vacation allotment reduced and unilaterally imposed 5 years ago with a grievance pending.

I blame the America West pilots.

R57 relay
05-17-2014, 05:44 AM
We've been flexed to 95 out East for the last 5 years. We had our summer vacation allotment reduced and unilaterally imposed 5 years ago with a grievance pending.

I blame the America West pilots.

Out of our wonderful 3 weeks a year vacation I got one week I bid-Oct. Nothing on rebid and assigned 2 weeks in Feb. Canceled one to try and get something else, but to date not a single day open for rebid for CLT AB captains. So, looks like I might lose it.

I have a west friend that averaged 95 hrs credit last year-by choice.

FreighterGuyNow
05-17-2014, 05:48 AM
I bid any 7 days any month starting Nov back to Jan. Got Feb/March.

Hope we get that year end sell back.

FreighterGuyNow
05-17-2014, 05:55 AM
The fact is that economically the PHX base should be about 20% smaller than it is.

I guarantee His presentation was just that.

I was thinking the same thing or rather, did the West think this through? What'll the APA do with this ( it WILL eventually wind up in their laps).

Solves 1/3 of their problem I suppose.

R57 relay
05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
I was thinking the same thing or rather, did the West think this through? What'll the APA do with this ( it WILL eventually wind up in their laps).

Solves 1/3 of their problem I suppose.

I don't know what they were thinking, or maybe they just have short memories. Several years ago in a crew news Parker laid out the situation for them. Because of the LAS closure, the west block hour requirements dropped, but because of the US/AW merger TA the company had to keep the west hulls and flying at a certain number. Absent that, the PHX base would be cut even more. It has nothing to do with the PHX hub, just that amount of flying from the base. The time could be flown more efficiently somewhere else. But somewhere this idea that it's just east flight ops guys forcing this to favor the east was born, and stuck.

"Please don't confuse us with the facts!"

Another thing-cacti, why would you post this? It certainly doesn't help your argument.

FreighterGuyNow
05-17-2014, 06:31 AM
It has everything to do with that PHX hub. Lowest yields in the country after Vegas. Heck, Buffalo does better.

Fuel isn't $35 per anymore.

R57 relay
05-17-2014, 06:59 AM
It has everything to do with that PHX hub. Lowest yields in the country after Vegas. Heck, Buffalo does better.

Fuel isn't $35 per anymore.

No, that is a different issue. They have to keep the hub because of the DOJ settlement, and before I guess they thought it was economically feasible. The PHX hub did make some marginal or unprofitable east flying profitable. But my point is that the flying there has been artificially high because of the TA and the MOU, not because of east manager favoritism.

This whole idea that Parker and Kirby were so stupid that they let two east flight managers schedule the whole airline just to favor the east pilots is beyond absurd.

PurpleTurtle
05-17-2014, 09:50 AM
No, that is a different issue. They have to keep the hub because of the DOJ settlement, and before I guess they thought it was economically feasible. The PHX hub did make some marginal or unprofitable east flying profitable. But my point is that the flying there has been artificially high because of the TA and the MOU, not because of east manager favoritism.

This whole idea that Parker and Kirby were so stupid that they let two east flight managers schedule the whole airline just to favor the east pilots is beyond absurd.

Yes its absurd... and assaulting Capt Hale with a 46 slide presentation :eek: makes an absurd notion even more absurd. :rolleyes:

cactiboss
05-17-2014, 11:41 AM
So let's see if I got the east scum point of view correctly, you scumbags believe we have been a single airline for nine years so you can impose your pos union on us but you don't believe we are a single airline when it comes to sharing growth or furloughs? How har would it be to route west crews thru east cities? How about west domiciles in east cities? How about the flying that is still owed the west? Biggest scumbags to ever wear an airline uniform.

Arado 234
05-17-2014, 01:18 PM
So let's see if I got the east scum point of view correctly, you scumbags believe we have been a single airline for nine years so you can impose your pos union on us but you don't believe we are a single airline when it comes to sharing growth or furloughs? How har would it be to route west crews thru east cities? How about west domiciles in east cities? How about the flying that is still owed the west? Biggest scumbags to ever wear an airline uniform.

How can a professional pilot sink so low? Classless! Any anger issues you want to tell the FAA about?

DCA A321 FO
05-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Worse yet, some managers have even suggested that David's presentation is "emotional" and "overreaching."

I have watched a couple of the PHX crew news, you guys/gals are emotional.

algflyr
05-17-2014, 05:28 PM
So the honeymoon with the APA is over? But they love you so much! Remember, they are going to fight for all those widebody positions that should be yours and not some APA pilot...

cactusmike
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
I have watched a couple of the PHX crew news, you guys/gals are emotional.

Actually the worst ones have been east pilots.

We acquired you. You would have been pushing brooms at Home Depot or applying for jobs at SWA when they took over the PHL hub.

Everyone I have talked to at American has been appalled at how unprofessional east pilots have been. Your FOQUA numbers prove it.

A321
05-17-2014, 05:58 PM

We acquired you. You would have been pushing brooms at Home Depot or applying for jobs at SWA when they took over the PHL hub.

Everyone I have talked to at American has been appalled at how unprofessional east pilots have been. Your FOQUA numbers prove it.

It's FOQA, but that's not important right now. Not sure what you thought the U might stand for? Flight Operations Quality (U're something else) Assurance.

R57 relay
05-17-2014, 11:21 PM

No Mike, the worst are the west, by a long shot.

You didn't "acquire" us. We merged, using the cash raised to combine the airlines and pay off and restructure the debt. AWA didn't have the cash to buy a coke, much less an airline.

So how would you know what the FOQA numbers show? Are you a gatekeeper? Are you letting out confidential information?

Go sleep it off.

NTR32
05-18-2014, 12:40 AM
How can a professional pilot sink so low? Classless! Any anger issues you want to tell the FAA about?

The entertainment value of this clowns (cacti) rant: priceless.

Last summer I rode on a 757 from DC to Phoenix & during the captains PA at the gate he said welcome aboard America West, paused & then said US Airways. Same dude??

That's the only former AWA guy I've ever seen act that way...

flybywire44
05-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Here it is.

AWAPPA Members Forum

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

Fellow America West pilots,

Several weeks ago, Captains John Hale and Bob Johnson, Flight Department leadership from American Airlines, invited AWA First Officer David Braid to meet with them at American Airlines Headquarters in Dallas to discuss a variety of issues facing West pilots. David, taking the invitation very seriously, spent countless hours of his free time researching and preparing a 46-page PowerPoint presentation to present to Captains Hale and Johnson. In composing the presentation, David spoke to several respected AWA subject matter experts, and in addition consulted company SEC filings and other citable sources upon which his presentation was based to ensure factual accuracy. David even went so far as to consult the PHX Chief Pilots office in advance of the meeting, and received their blessing and support.

A copy of the presentation may be downloaded HERE. In short, the presentation describes the proverbial "island" the PHX domicile has become as a result of the spiteful actions of USAPA and certain East managers, and the willful neglect of our corporate leadership. Fully cognizant that neither Captain Hale nor Captain Johnson were a party to any of these acts, the presentation only asked that the disparate treatment cease.

On April 8, 2014, David flew to Dallas and had what he described as a "successful" meeting with Captains Hale and Johnson. David stated that he believed that his presentation was well received by Captains Hale and Johnson. At the close of the meeting, Captain Hale promised David to research the issues presented and provide him some answers within a few weeks.

Unfortunately, since that April 8 meeting, life on the "island" has continued to degrade significantly. The entire base remains critically staffed, and our pairings have degraded to a dangerous level never previously seen. For the June bid period, the company is using the "flex" provision in the AWA contract for the first time in 9 years to build First Officer lines as high as 94 hours over the summer. This comes only one year after the company's decision to unilaterally slash long-standing quantities of summer vacation allocation, resulting in perhaps the worst staffing-driven operational disaster PHX has seen. Additionally, there is no relief to come, as many long-time West check airmen have recently resigned allegedly due to their degrading working conditions in the Training Department (the only department still lead by an East pilot). While conditions continue to deteriorate to unprecedented levels on the PHX island, both the East and the AA sides of the company continue to be flush with record movement and hiring. While the lack of movement may affect some of our pilots more than others, the most concerning bit about this situation is the potential weapon that it creates for use against us by both USAPA and APA in the McCaskill-Bond seniority integration process.

A few days ago, Captain Hale contacted David, as promised, to provide him a response to his April 8 presentation. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Captain Hale informed David that the company would not take any action to remedy our situation. Worse yet, following the adverse reaction to this news by many of our pilots, the company began a grass-roots crew room effort to prevent an operational meltdown over the summer. The essence of the company's crew room message is that things in PHX will be "fixed" at some uncertain point in the future by some unknown and uncertain remedy. Our pilots, and particularly our captains, are asked to be "patient" about our situation, and pay no attention to the ongoing and worsening disparities between PHX and the other parts of the airline. Worse yet, some managers have even suggested that David's presentation is "emotional" and "overreaching."

We sent this message because we believe that all America West pilots should be aware of these facts. We encourage all pilots to review the presentation and draw their own conclusions about our situation.

AWAPPA

I'd love to see the presentation, but do you have another link that does not require registration?

PurpleTurtle
05-18-2014, 10:34 AM
I'd love to see the presentation, but do you have another link that does not require registration?

Just think about mixing up a novel, a comedy, a tragedy and a pound cake, all while listening to a metronome drone on for an hour.

757HI
05-18-2014, 08:19 PM
What was the safety record of US and AWA pre merger?

How many fatalities do east vs west have?

How many east pilots have SHOT their own aircraft vs west?

How many runway run offs post merger of east and west? Don't forget the east crew that while "racing" to beat a west aircraft to the only US gate taxied right into the mud.

No FOQA data needed, just check on the DOT's accident database.

I don't allow my family to fly on east metal, it's a no brainer.

Capt Hindsight
05-18-2014, 09:41 PM

Since you're fairly senior, let me the first in the east to thank you for the good news. The planes are getting crowded out here.

Capt H

R57 relay
05-18-2014, 09:41 PM

How many runway run offs post merger of east and west? Don't forget the east crew that while "racing" to beat a west aircraft to the only US gate taxied right into the mud.

How about AA? Going to get into their issues?

You're an idiot.

757HI
05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
How about AA? Going to get into their issues?

You're an idiot.

I'm crushed.

757HI
05-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Since you're fairly senior, let me the first in the east to thank you for the good news. The planes are getting crowded out here.

Capt H

My pleasure.

R57 relay
05-18-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm crushed.

That and more.

DCA A321 FO
05-19-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm crushed.

PurpleTurtle
05-19-2014, 05:52 AM
That and more.

Whining, badmouthing, and beaching are all his consolation for not getting the Nic. I can spot him that. But if he is wearing a $20 tie that he paid $675 for... then he owns that, without excuse. :cool:

IronWalt
05-21-2014, 05:34 AM
The entertainment value here is priceless. Trained professionals babbling and whining like a kindergarden fight. Actually kindergardeners are more mature. :-)

flybywire44
05-21-2014, 07:13 PM
"Thank you for forwarding David Braid's PowerPoint rant. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, but don't you think he's really made a fantastic case against the Nicolau "Award?" Page after page, David details the Company's common sense strategy of staffing and caring for the East route network, while cutting and curtailing the financially-draining West flying. It's a business, right? Never before have we had an opportunity to see if an arbitrator's hunch about an airline's future was accurate. In our case, he certainly got it wrong.

One thing David Braid leaves out of the conversation, of course, is the fact that they would all be enjoying the fantastic upward movement that our newhires are today if they had only accepted our standing offer of DOH with significant Conditions and Restrictions, each one designed to afford them protection from East migration into Phoenix. As we all know, there are a handful of West pilots who are responsible for keeping their group whipped up in an angry frenzy all these years. Someone should sit these pilots down and ask them "How does your date of hire look now?"

The decorated Army of Leonidas has much to explain to their troops. Because of their myopic focus on securing Nicolau's very obviously flawed "award," they have let time march on to the point where their careers would have really started moving forward, but they're not on the list to enjoy it! Never have I seen a better illustration of ego being the downfall of man. These guys have done it to themselves. They voluntarily sequestered themselves in the Phoenix domicile, waiting for the Company or the courts to wave a wand and make their airline dreams come true.

And lastly, it's almost comical how David Braid complains about the company's actions, trying to paint a picture of East favoritism. Seriously? What world has he been living in? When I was on the Board, at BPR meetings David Braid was most often typing fiercely on his laptop, apparently in his own world. Now, we all have a glimpse into that little world, and it's a special place, one where the company hasn't repeatedly sued USAPA and appealed everything USAPA has won and pretty much done everything in their power to help the decorated Army of Leonidas achieve their goals. This company has been anything but neutral in the seniority dispute, and their actions have overwhelmingly favored the West. What more did he want or expect? Perhaps he wanted Doug Parker to change the entire economy of Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV, and magically turn them into the aviation powerhouses America West pilots always believed them to be.

By answering the question "How does your date of hire look now?" West pilots can begin to understand how their myopic focus on stapling East pilots (who were -- yes -- serving some time on furlough during the last decade) has harmed them. And a point that often gets lost here is this: America West pilots would have advanced rapidly with or without their Nicolau "award"....either way, they would have owned the airline in the end. But that wasn't good enough. They apparently thought it proper that they all be Captains the entire time, crushing the careers of older pilots hired many years before them. So, today we see the proof. Had they not voluntarily sequestered themselves in Phoenix, they too would be advancing and flying to new places and flying wide bodies....all sorts of options beyond their wildest dreams when they started at America West Airlines. Instead, those things are happening for newly hired US Airways pilots flying in the East, because market forces dictate it. Pure economics are driving this, and I wonder if it's hit any of them that wage disparity isn't in play now either. It's the East flying that takes precedence, and America West pilots have had every opportunity to come to the table and negotiate their way onto our seniority list. They have repeatedly chosen not to do so.

Thanks again for sharing David Braid's presentation. I wonder if he regrets making our case for us.

MG"

This came across my email.

cactiboss
05-22-2014, 12:54 PM
This came across my email.

Boy I hope that idiot is on your merger committee and presents that line of thought.

flybywire44
05-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Boy I hope that idiot is on your merger committee and presents that line of thought.

You mean "our" merger committee?

R57 relay
05-22-2014, 05:27 PM
F/O Braid's presentation was the worst thing I've seen from a west pilot in a while. I thought he was smarter than that.

NTR32
05-22-2014, 09:34 PM

I wish cacti would post more often. It's great entertainment. He'd probably vaporize if he uttered ours & USAPA in the same sentence.

JumpersAway79
05-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Shoot no, Flybywire.........APA feels badly for the AWA guys like Cacti, so they're buddies and will be taken care of. However, the APA has a special hatred for the "scum" east folks. Easties will get a staple, and Cacti gets 777 captain for the pain he's endured.:rolleyes:

WbusANKER
05-23-2014, 11:35 AM

How many east pilots were arrested and jailed for DUI while on duty with a plane filled with passengers ?

No FOQA data needed here either, just check the prison database.