Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : TAT to SAT Conversion

Herbie
05-21-2014, 08:18 AM
I briefly looked around this forum on the subject, but I failed to find anything. I am currently working on some performance charts for the 135 outfit I fly Citations for and I am having a difficult time finding any easy to use formula for converting TAT to SAT for climb performance. I've spent a few hours searching for it using various media, but have been at a loss. Any input will help, a simple chart or anything would be of great use.

DirectTo
05-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Calculating ram rise? [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-243357.html)

Some good info there, such as:

Another rule of thumb that we used was
TAT= SAT + (TAS/100)^2.
It works pretty well for approximation.

True enough, an approximation. If you want the exact figure with Knots TAS as the entry variable -

TAT= SAT + (TAS/87.1)^2, which is exact :ok:

Or, if your entry variable is Mach Number -

TAT= SAT + (1+.2*M^2), which is also exact :ok:

Prop operators may prefer the former, jet jockeys the latter.

Singlecoil
05-21-2014, 07:20 PM
TAT=SAT+IAS/100^3
is another WAG.

galaxy flyer
05-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Use whichever Cessna uses which is probably RAT or TAT, no need for converting them.

GF