Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : MD-80

ERJF15
07-20-2014, 09:03 PM
You guys that do/have flown the 80, can you clearly see your map display w/out looking around the yoke? i.e. is the display obstructed by the yoke?

JungleBus
07-20-2014, 09:15 PM
I fly the -88 & -90 for DL but from what I can remember from jumpseating on AA, their -82s & -83s appear to be set up the same. If you have your seat at the proper height/position, the top half of the ND is pretty easily visible but it takes a bit of a peek over/around the yoke to see the bottom half.

flyinawa
07-20-2014, 09:26 PM
The same thing happens in the airbus when you have your lunch on it. ;)

Packrat
07-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Yes it's obstructed. You can only see the top half. That's one of the reasons most folks fly in ARC or MAP mode.

Cameltoad
07-21-2014, 07:01 AM
As one mad dog driver sarcastically told me once, "it's a cockpit by Remington, load a bunch of instruments in a big shotgun, BAM! Where they hit was where they stayed...."

Natca
07-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Yes to see and reach everything you seat has to be pretty high. In the old school 80s with the steam gauges (the original 82) it can be a hassle to see a dme readout and the darn brake temp is almost hidden down there too.

Bucking Bar
07-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Since the navigation information provided in the MD80 is unreliable, it isn't that big a deal that you can't see the display. Navigation in a Douglas product is an "'ish" proposition, followed by vectors. Look out the window and turn at familiar landmarks. If you have not flown that route a million times, then you are probably screwed. Thank God for ASAP and NASA reports.

Have you ever seen a four year old child pour a glass of milk? Douglas RNAV and VNAV are much the same; always hesitant and frequently it ends in something you will have to clean up.

Lucky Pierre007
07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Since the navigation information provided in the MD80 is unreliable, it isn't that big a deal that you can't see the display. Navigation in a Douglas product is an "'ish" proposition, followed by vectors. Look out the window and turn at familiar landmarks. If you have not flown that route a million times, then you are probably screwed. Thank God for ASAP and NASA reports.

Have you ever seen a four year old child pour a glass of milk? Douglas RNAV and VNAV are much the same; always hesitant and frequently it ends in something you will have to clean up.
BBar,

...and you gotta love when you're 500' AGL in IMC on the ILS and the LOC needle goes full scale left followed by full scale right deflection. Standard MD-80 pilot remark, 'just give it a sec, it'll come back...huh huh hopefully...'

-Lucky

NERD
07-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Hey, at least it's CAT III auto land :eek:

R57 relay
07-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Ah, the old TLAR method.

The MD80 has an ND? Who knew?:rolleyes:

GucciBoy
07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I never had any issues in the KC-10, and that was with retrofitted 80's military-grade equipment. Although sometimes the FMA's were out of focus...

ERJF15
07-21-2014, 06:43 PM
I never had any issues in the KC-10, and that was with retrofitted 80's military-grade equipment. Although sometimes the FMA's were out of focus...

Yeah...we're talking about the MD-80...not the 10 :p

redthread
07-21-2014, 07:09 PM

LOL!!! Post of the day!

texaspilot76
07-22-2014, 04:32 AM
Those MD-80s are prehistoric, just like the AA procedures for operating them.

Hueypilot
07-22-2014, 07:35 AM
The MD-80 is modern compared to a legacy C-130. At least you don't have to ask the Nav to sequence you to the next waypoint.

MIG15
07-22-2014, 10:15 PM
In most planes you turn on the automation to settle things down. In the 80, you turn off the automation to settle things down.

aa73
07-23-2014, 05:45 AM
As old as the -80 is, it's still my favorite airplane I've ever flown. Hope I can fly it as a CA before it goes away!

Packrat
07-23-2014, 02:07 PM
A lot of MDs are being converted to freighters.

CousinEddie
07-24-2014, 07:42 AM
A lot of MDs are being converted to freighters.

Interesting video from Roswell where AA takes the 80s to die. And provide new jobs in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvnOVU4KeRg

block30
08-06-2014, 04:45 PM
You guys that do/have flown the 80, can you clearly see your map display w/out looking around the yoke? i.e. is the display obstructed by the yoke?

Hey, you made it to main line? Congratulations!! Great news!

blastoff
08-08-2014, 08:41 AM

Ya but the Collins FMS 800 and Kalman Filter are kind of a big upgrade even if a 1980's retrofit; sounds like the MD-80 isn't so fortunate.

redthread
08-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Ya but the Collins FMS 800 and Kalman Filter are kind of a big upgrade even if a 1980's retrofit; sounds like the MD-80 isn't so fortunate.

Same with the KC-135. The 80s era FMS/CDU/EFIS makes the -80 look like an Atari console. The auto throttles are nice though.