Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

kfahmi
08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm heading to CRJ class with OO on Sept. 22. Can't wait to get started :)

Quick question: Which models of the CRJ are typically flown out of which bases? I understand MSP and ORD are junior bases and are mostly CRJ-200, and I believe IAH is mostly a -700 base. Can anyone shed any light on what aircraft are typically based at what bases?

Also, would be curious to hear if recent classes have been assigned anything other than MSP and ORD out of class. (I'm a Californian...hoping not to get assigned to the frozen tundra during wintertime.) ;)

Finally: how are the times on reserve looking in various bases?

TheFly
08-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Took me 4 months to get a West Coast base. You will probably hold a line fairly quickly in MSP and ORD versus a WC base.

TheFly
08-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Oh, and welcome!!

Utah
08-26-2014, 12:08 PM
FAT, PSP, and TUS do 200 only flying I believe. I could be wrong on that though. PHX has mostly 200 with a little bit of 900.

I think SEA and PDX mostly do 700 stuff. I'm not sure if they do much 200/900 flying.

All CRJ crews are qualified to fly the 200/700. I'm not sure everyone is checked out on the 900 though. (it's just a line check)

FaceBiter
08-26-2014, 12:11 PM
As far as the West Coast:

FAT/PSP 2
SFO 2/7 (The 175 might shake things up a bit)
LAX 2/7/9
PDX/SEA 7
TUS 2
PHX 2/9

I think everyone has been doing a few month tour of duty in MSP or ORD lately.

kfahmi
08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks, all. Much appreciated.

For the Midwest bases (DEN, COS, IAH, MSP, ORD -- did I miss any?)...what are the aircraft assignments like?

air101
08-26-2014, 12:47 PM
thanks, all. Much appreciated.

For the midwest bases (den, cos, iah, msp, ord -- did i miss any?)...what are the aircraft assignments like?

den- 200/700
cos - 200/700
iah- 700
msp- 200/900
ord - 200/700/900

kfahmi
08-26-2014, 01:07 PM
den- 200/700
cos - 200/700
iah- 700
msp- 200/900
ord - 200/700/900

Thanks! :)

Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll give me IAH instead of (brrrr) MSP or ORD...

Utah
08-26-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't think the last 60 or so new hires haven't been awarded a base yet. The next 100 or so above them on the seniority list all have been assigned to MSP/ORD.

I would predict a lot of movement though by next summer. Attrition and upgrades should keep things moving.

AZFlyer
08-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Is PHX and TUS senior?

TheFly
08-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Is PHX and TUS senior?

TUS, definitely. However, the bottom 1 or 2 there seem to have movement every w months or so. PHX yes, but 22 crew members got awarded PHX for September. From what I understand it's attrition.

AZFlyer
08-26-2014, 01:59 PM
TUS, definitely. However, the bottom 1 or 2 there seem to have movement every w months or so. PHX yes, but 22 crew members got awarded PHX for September. From what I understand it's attrition.
Thanks. I wont be applying to the regionals till about a year from now. I'm hoping to get on with anyone that keeps me in or near AZ. OO PHX would be desirable.

TheFly
08-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Thanks. I wont be applying to the regionals till about a year from now. I'm hoping to get on with anyone that keeps me in or near AZ. OO PHX would be desirable.

*every 2 months or so. Good luck!

tinman1
08-26-2014, 02:59 PM

I've heard from both pilots and gate agents that SKW may be losing PHX. "The new" American is not a huge fan of the 200s from what I hear.

flight81
08-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Took me a year to get Phoenix and I'll be at the bottom.

TheFly
08-26-2014, 03:42 PM
I've heard from both pilots and gate agents that SKW may be losing PHX. "The new" American is not a huge fan of the 200s from what I hear.

What pilots & what gate agents say that this "may" happen? I don't have any factual info "either".

freezingflyboy
08-26-2014, 03:48 PM

Is anybody a fan of the CRJ 200? Miserable hunk of junk.

Jet87
08-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Thats why SkyWest will keep them on as pro rate, just like the few in ORD we just started flying for the "new american"

BTW you can't cry about SkyWest guys trolling the Mesa forum everyday then come on here and troll. Doesn't make sense, Brah.

Wileybird
08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Been thinkin of joining the Skywest team from the ag industry and was wondering what the Skywest interview is like? Ground training in salt lake I assume? Thx

tinman1
08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Thats why SkyWest will keep them on as pro rate, just like the few in ORD we just started flying for the "new american"

BTW you can't cry about SkyWest guys trolling the Mesa forum everyday then come on here and troll. Doesn't make sense, Brah.

Listen up brah. I'll be honest, I heard it from a handful of Mesa guys and just wrote it off as rumor and people talking smack. Then I heard it from a SKW pilot and an airways gate agent in PHX and it caught my attention, and I wanted to see if there was any truth to it.

BTW I didn't say anything negative about your company or shoot off any below the belt Facebiter-esque comments. I also didn't post in here to troll and talk sh*t about someone else's company. I'm not that kind of person.

FaceBiter
08-26-2014, 04:30 PM
You're drunk. Go home.

AZFlyer
08-26-2014, 04:32 PM
I heard it from a handful of Mesa guys and just wrote it off as rumor and people talking smack. Then I heard it from a SKW pilot and an airways gate agent in PHX and it caught my attention, and I wanted to see if there was any truth to it.

My second job outside of my flying job is with US/AA in PHX. Ive heard the same rumors there as well, in addition to hearing it from a buddy of mine flying at Mesa, and he is not a Skywest hater in the least.

It could just be that its a small world and everyone has heard the same rumor.

FaceBiter
08-26-2014, 04:34 PM
I've heard SKW is getting 175's in PHX to go with the 900's. I've heard it's all gone and I've heard it's staying as is on pro rate. Rumors are dumb. Our management doesn't leak details via cryptic emails fueling rumors just to trick more dummy pilots in the front door.

tinman1
08-26-2014, 05:03 PM
It could just be that its a small world and everyone has heard the same rumor.

I always tend to assume this as well. Although it largely depends on the source. For instance the author of the post before this one has never contributed anything actually meaningful to the discussion so you have to take it with a grain of salt. Then there are some guys who have the inside scoop even though it may sound far fetched. For instance when the DFW rumor went around at my company I thought it was steaming load of BS, but then it came true.

Whatever happens, happens. Just don't lose your cool over anything in this industry. It ain't worth it.

kfahmi
08-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Been thinkin of joining the Skywest team from the ag industry and was wondering what the Skywest interview is like? Ground training in salt lake I assume? Thx

Ground training is indeed in SLC. I believe it's 1 week indoc, 2 weeks systems, then 2--3 weeks FTD and sim, but I haven't yet gone thru training...so others can provide more accurate info.

The online interview gouge is spot-on. I interviewed with 5 other candidates (6 total), and only 2 of us got offers. So it's definitely not a 'fog a mirror and you get an offer' type of interview. I can't speak to other regionals, as OO was the first and only place I applied to, but I was impressed by the interviewing captains and the general feel of the operation. There's something to be said for an airline that's never furloughed a pilot in its history...

TheFly
08-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Yes top notch operation & the CA's are professional & cool to fly with.

The truth is none of us know for sure the fate of PHX. At this point it's all rumors until it happens or doesn't happen.

Wileybird
08-27-2014, 03:23 AM
Where can you find interview gouge?

Captain Tony
08-27-2014, 04:13 AM
Are the Brasilias gone now?

flight81
08-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Not yet, but they are shrinking rapidly. All signs point to its exit. under 2 years seems to be the consistent time frame.

kfahmi
08-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Nope, I parked next to one at KCEC on Saturday...

turboflyin
08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Also, would be curious to hear if recent classes have been assigned anything other than MSP and ORD out of class. (I'm a Californian...hoping not to get assigned to the frozen tundra during wintertime.) ;)

I was in the 6/2 class and everyone except 10 (I believe) got MSP out of training, the rest got ORD.

Ground training is indeed in SLC. I believe it's 1 week indoc, 2 weeks systems, then 2--3 weeks FTD and sim, but I haven't yet gone thru training...so others can provide more accurate info.

This is correct. You'll be in SLC for a full month of ground (Indoc/systems), then depending on sim availability, you might be in SLC, ATL or STL. They've been backed up so you could be waiting up to a month for a sim slot. I'm just now on IOE. There's a few others in my class who just finished sim last week.

rcfd13
08-27-2014, 09:24 AM

It varies pretty widely depending on the base. If you have a specific base in mind someone on here could easily look up the hire date of the most junior targeted line holder.

ORD, MSP and IAH are only a few months on reserve right now if that. There were no reserves in MSP for most of the summer but block hours start decreasing in September so reserve time may increase. Some west coast bases can take multiple years to get off reserve. For an extreme example the most junior targeted line holder in SEA is a 2007 hire.

kfahmi
08-27-2014, 12:15 PM
This is correct. You'll be in SLC for a full month of ground (Indoc/systems), then depending on sim availability, you might be in SLC, ATL or STL. They've been backed up so you could be waiting up to a month for a sim slot. I'm just now on IOE. There's a few others in my class who just finished sim last week.

That's quite the delay. Hopefully by late October (when my 9/22 class will be ready for sim), the backlog will have lightened. Fingers crossed...

rcfd13
08-27-2014, 03:00 PM
That's quite the delay. Hopefully by late October (when my 9/22 class will be ready for sim), the backlog will have lightened. Fingers crossed...

One month of paid vacation is kind of nice though. I had 2 weeks off between ground school and sim and loved every second of it.

kfahmi
08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
One month of paid vacation is kind of nice though. I had 2 weeks off between ground school and sim and loved every second of it.

I can totally see that, but a break would drive me nuts. I just want to get into training mode and get 'er done. After sim, a break before IOE would be nice, but a month off between ground school and sim...I'd forget what half the switches were for ;-)

FaceBiter
08-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Especially if that month (hearing nearly 6 weeks in some classes) covers TGiving and XMas.

Wileybird
08-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Is DEN a pretty senior base?

flight81
08-27-2014, 07:30 PM
The waiting period is really for new hires. Transitions are getting SIM right away. Talked to the training coordinator on this question today.

rcfd13
08-27-2014, 07:37 PM
I can totally see that, but a break would drive me nuts. I just want to get into training mode and get 'er done. After sim, a break before IOE would be nice, but a month off between ground school and sim...I'd forget what half the switches were for ;-)

I hear lots of people say that and I never get it. I'd be happy sipping margaritas in Hawaii doing absolutely nothing for the rest of my life if money weren't an issue. Enjoy your time off! You'll have years and years to work too hard. I've credited over 110 every month since January without even picking trips up. That's just what PBS assigns + overages. I'm burnt out and would kill for 2 weeks off.

rcfd13
08-27-2014, 07:40 PM
The waiting period is really for new hires. Transitions are getting SIM right away. Talked to the training coordinator on this question today.

Transitions taking longer costs the company a lot more. The transitions are getting 75 hour guarantee at their current pay rate (not first year) plus per diem while in training. The best paychecks I've ever gotten at Skywest were during transition training on brasilia pay. Even 100 credit months at jet pay don't pay as well as that did. New hires are getting $22/hour at 60 guarantee per month with no per diem. It's a smart decision to make the new hires wait.

rcfd13
08-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Is DEN a pretty senior base?

DEN is senior for captains but not really for FOs. I bid about the same percentage in DEN as I do in ORD and MSP. New hires typically get dumped into ORD and MSP and it can take a little while to get a transfer to DEN though despite it hardly being any more senior.

kfahmi
08-27-2014, 08:44 PM
I hear lots of people say that and I never get it. I'd be happy sipping margaritas in Hawaii doing absolutely nothing for the rest of my life if money weren't an issue. Enjoy your time off! You'll have years and years to work too hard. I've credited over 110 every month since January without even picking trips up. That's just what PBS assigns + overages. I'm burnt out and would kill for 2 weeks off.

Yeah, I hear ya....

Cefiro
08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Not to takeover your thread, but I am actually just got a class date as well! I was offered a choice between the CRJ and EMB 175.

Anyone have any advice on which aircraft to take? I said the CRJ but am having second thoughts.

FaceBiter
08-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Do you like ORD and reserve?

kfahmi
08-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Not to takeover your thread, but I am actually just got a class date as well! I was offered a choice between the CRJ and EMB 175.

Anyone have any advice on which aircraft to take? I said the CRJ but am having second thoughts.

Which class date? Welcome!

Cefiro
08-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Do you like ORD and reserve?

I actually dont mind ORD, although I would be commuting in so reserve not so much. Do you know how long new hires are typically sitting reserve in ORD for the EMB-175? What about the CRJ?

BTW: I will actually be in the October class.

kfahmi
08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
I actually dont mind ORD, although I would be commuting in so reserve not so much. Do you know how long new hires are typically sitting reserve in ORD for the EMB-175? What about the CRJ?

BTW: I will actually be in the October class.

Congrats! I was offered the October class for either the 175 or the CRJ, but got the Sept class instead (CRJ only, the 175 Sept class is full.) I decided to do the September class since I had already deferred from the April 25 class, and I just want to get going. That, and everyone I talked to said that I'd be sitting eternal reserve on the 175 as more pilots bid into it.

See ya in SLC...

FaceBiter
08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Nobody knows for sure. As long as they keep hiring into it probably not that long. If people start bidding it, they might not need new-hires anymore and you'd be pegged to the bottom until every current pilot who desired it wound up on it.

A surprisingly small amount of current pilots seem interested, too many unknowns. However, that's changing daily. My uninformed guess is when this airplane starts stealing the gravy runs the UA 700's currently fly, or if another contract is announced, a bunch of mid-range FO's will bid over to it and you'd be stuck like chuck.

Seminole00
08-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Nope, I parked next to one at KCEC on Saturday...

That was you in the challenger?

kfahmi
08-28-2014, 02:03 PM
That was you in the challenger?

If you're talking about 10:00 am on Saturday at KCEC...I think that was a Citation Sovereign, actually. I do have a lowly SIC type on the Challenger 300, but it's based in Florida, not out here.

...and no, that wasn't me. I was with my wife in our little Piper Turbo Arrow. Were you the crew that we followed in? A Skywest Bro shot the approach ahead of us and called a smoke layer from 5K to 2K with clear underneath...which was much appreciated since it meant I didn't have to take my single-engine aircraft out over the cold water to shoot the RNAV 35 or ILS 11.

As we taxied in, the Citation pilot asked one of the Bro pilots if he could take special care of his wife, who was in seat 2A. The Bro pilot responded 'Sure, will do! What's her name?' I thought that was nicely done. Was that you?

Seminole00
08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
If you're talking about 1000 hours on Saturday at KCEC...I think that was a Citation Sovereign, actually. I do have a lowly SIC type on the Challenger 300, but it's based in Florida, not out here.

...and no, that wasn't me. I was with my wife in our little Piper Turbo Arrow. Were you the crew that we followed in? A Skywest Bro shot the approach ahead of us and called a smoke layer from 5K to 2K with clear underneath...which was much appreciated since it meant I didn't have to take my single-engine aircraft out over the cold water to shoot the RNAV 35 or ILS 11.

As we taxied in, the Citation pilot asked one of the Bro pilots if he could take special care of his wife, who was in seat 2A. The Bro pilot responded 'Sure, will do! What's her name?' I thought that was nicely done. Was that you?

You are welcome;)

kfahmi
08-28-2014, 02:32 PM
You are welcome;)

Thank you sir!

Small world indeed.

Seminole00
08-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Thank you sir!

Small world indeed.

CA was the one who took the call from the citation pilot.

Cefiro
08-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Nobody knows for sure. As long as they keep hiring into it probably not that long. If people start bidding it, they might not need new-hires anymore and you'd be pegged to the bottom until every current pilot who desired it wound up on it.

A surprisingly small amount of current pilots seem interested, too many unknowns. However, that's changing daily. My uninformed guess is when this airplane starts stealing the gravy runs the UA 700's currently fly, or if another contract is announced, a bunch of mid-range FO's will bid over to it and you'd be stuck like chuck.

That makes sense, thanks for the input. I will probably just stick with the CRJ, seems like a great plane and I like the flexibility of having more than one base.

kfahmi
08-28-2014, 03:39 PM
That makes sense, thanks for the input. I will probably just stick with the CRJ, seems like a great plane and I like the flexibility of having more than one base.

Well, they're opening up a 175 SFO base, which had me salivating since I live 30 minutes' drive from SFO. But it sounds like the odds of a new-hire getting that base on the 175 were very very very slim indeed.

I like the idea of having a lot of base options. Given the choice of waiting a year to get 175/SFO, or maybe 6 months to get, say, CRJ/LAX, the CRJ seemed like a better choice.

Although I will admit to some feelings of sadness that now I will not be able to fool my friends that I fly an Airbus :D

clearprop
08-29-2014, 02:37 PM
FAT, PSP, and TUS do 200 only flying I believe. I could be wrong on that though. PHX has mostly 200 with a little bit of 900.

I think SEA and PDX mostly do 700 stuff. I'm not sure if they do much 200/900 flying.

All CRJ crews are qualified to fly the 200/700. I'm not sure everyone is checked out on the 900 though. (it's just a line check)

I believe they just announced a bit of 900 flying for Delta starting in October. (PDX)

amcnd
08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
I believe they just announced a bit of 900 flying for Delta starting in October. (PDX)

The Delta PDX/SEA flying is done buy SLC/LAX crews..

clearprop
08-29-2014, 02:47 PM
The Delta PDX/SEA flying is done buy SLC/LAX crews..

beginning in October, I believe that changes just a bit.

amcnd
08-29-2014, 03:13 PM
beginning in October, I believe that changes just a bit.

I hope so!! I know Alaska contract required "dedicated" crews... That has limited the size of SEA/PDX vs the flying there...

clearprop
08-29-2014, 04:00 PM
I hope so!! I know Alaska contract required "dedicated" crews... That has limited the size of SEA/PDX vs the flying there...

Klen sent the email today. A few more CA's and FO's moving into PDX. Just a few.

DeadENDjob
08-29-2014, 06:58 PM

Not likely. Current class had 8 waiting a month (until first week of october) for SIM in ATL, and next class (8/25) has about 20 more new hires than the 7/28 class. Chances are the wait will only increase as the class size increases going forward.

SiouxFlyer
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
What are the 175 bases going to be?

REVERTEDRUBBER
09-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Can a new hire get ORD?

rcfd13
09-03-2014, 11:56 AM
What are the 175 bases going to be?

ORD and SFO for now. DEN is rumored but hasn't been announced.

rcfd13
09-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Can a new hire get ORD?

Yes new hires will likely get ORD whether they want it or not on both the CRJ and 175. ORD and MSP are the junior CRJ bases and ORD is the junior 175 base.

kfahmi
09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Not likely. Current class had 8 waiting a month (until first week of october) for SIM in ATL, and next class (8/25) has about 20 more new hires than the 7/28 class. Chances are the wait will only increase as the class size increases going forward.

Out of curiosity, does that long break take place between ground and FTD, or between FTD and SIM?

HappyCrew
09-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Isn't SkyWest parking 150 crj/erj aircraft ?? What's the upgrade time over there? :cool:

weasil
09-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Isn't SkyWest parking 150 crj/erj aircraft ?? What's the upgrade time over there? :cool:

Most of those are coming from XJT/ASA

HappyCrew
09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Most of those are coming from XJT/ASA

Wow....Are those guys on the same seniority list?? If not, what happens to all of those pilots? Do they come over to the SkyWest side or does SkyWest just dismiss them onto the street??

Humblepielot
09-03-2014, 06:46 PM
That's some good flamebait right there.

born2aviate
09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Which CRJ models are flown out of LAX and DEN? Also who is that flying done for?

amcnd
09-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Which CRJ models are flown out of LAX and DEN? Also who is that flying done for?

DEN 200 and 700 all United

LAX 200, UA,AA
LAX 700 UA/DL
LAX 900 DL

kfahmi
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
DEN 200 and 700 all United

LAX 200, UA,AA
LAX 700 UA/DL
LAX 900 DL

Do you LAX guys ever do trips where you're DL one day and UA the next?

etflies
09-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Do you LAX guys ever do trips where you're DL one day and UA the next?

Trips don't intermingle airlines any longer, but it is possible to do, say, a United trip one week and a Delta trip the next.

kfahmi
09-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Trips don't intermingle airlines any longer, but it is possible to do, say, a United trip one week and a Delta trip the next.

Do you ever hear the following over the PA...

"Ah, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Unit...er...Del...er...American Airlines flight 250 enroute to...damn...where we going again?"

amcnd
09-04-2014, 03:26 PM

"Ah, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Unit...er...Del...er...American Airlines flight 250 enroute to...damn...where we going again?"

Never done that!!;)

But no the intermix. Unless your reserve...

kfahmi
09-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Never done that!!;)

I remember late one rainy night, after 7 days of instructing many hours a day, and then doing a 13-hour, seven-leg trip for a Part 91 operator, I called clearance delivery at OAK. It was for the seventh and final leg of the day/night, and my call probably sounded something like this:

"Clearance, Cessn...I mean Senec...Beech...darn it...Jetprop 12345, IFR to...to...let's see here...you know what, I'm just going to shut down and call you back, 'cause I can't even remember where we're going."

That was the night I realized what duty time limits are for.

(It all ended well.)

Larry in TN
09-28-2014, 10:56 AM
So how was the first week of class?

kfahmi
09-28-2014, 11:13 AM
So how was the first week of class?

Good. The instructors are really good. They even fed us breakfast, lunch and dinner on Day 1, plus lunch on Day 2. Hotel (Candlewood) is comfortable.

Lots of cramming, but that's to be expected. Indoc test is tomorrow, then Systems starts on Tuesday.

We have 5 or 6 ex-regional guys (Eagle and ExpressJet), a bunch of ex-135 cargo guys, and a bunch of ex-instructors. Two ex-military guys. Morale is high among the inmates :D

I managed to get on a Skywest flight back to SFO on Saturday morning, and back to SLC Sunday morning, for a 24-hour break with my wife, which was lovely. Now I'm back in the hotel cramming for tomorrow's test. I figure I won't be able to get away during Systems, so I seized the opportunity.

Now, back to E3585, derived alternate minima, and IORs. ;)

etflies
09-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Oh sure, especially with reserve FA's that were bouncing between CRJ and Bro flying that didn't have time to print out a new trip sheet.

"This Embraer CRJ-700 has uh....I mean this....this...aircraft has four...no six....exits?"

kfahmi
09-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Oh sure, especially with reserve FA's that were bouncing between CRJ and Bro flying that didn't have time to print out a new trip sheet.

"This Embraer CRJ-700 has uh....I mean this....this...aircraft has four...no six....exits?"

Actually this happened yesterday on the UAX -200 flight to SFO. It was just a United/Delta thing. I doubt any of the pax noticed or cared.

One quick question on non-rev etiquette. I've read in two different places that non-rev passengers (holding boarding passes) should:

1) Board when their group is called
2) Wait until all other pax have boarded

Which method do y'all follow?

etflies
09-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Actually this happened yesterday on the UAX -200 flight to SFO. It was just a United/Delta thing. I doubt any of the pax noticed or cared.

One quick question on non-rev etiquette. I've read in two different places that non-rev passengers (holding boarding passes) should:

Personally if I'm non-revving and the gate agent gives me a seat prior to boarding I'll board when the group is called or ask them if that is ok if there is any doubt. If I get a seat during boarding, I'll ask if it's alright to head down. If they call after boarding is done and say "just take any seat" well, the decision is made for you.

M20EPilot
09-28-2014, 12:41 PM

This is a topic that will depend on the circumstances. Non-revving I would just go when the group is called.

On a scheduled deadhead I would just go as early as I can.

When jumpseating, its more complicated. Go first sometimes, go last sometimes. If there is plenty of room and they give you a seat assignment, I just ask when they would want me to board. When the aircraft might be full, going last is more the norm as you don't know what you're going to get until the very last minute. For example on southwest if it looks like they are full and you might be in the cockpit, they want you down there early to get an aisle seat close to the front of the a/c and stash your bag, so that moving to the front can be done expeditiously, but not so early as to screw their A-list folks out of their preferred seat.

turboflyin
09-28-2014, 02:34 PM
I managed to get on a Skywest flight back to SFO on Saturday morning, and back to SLC Sunday morning, for a 24-hour break with my wife, which was lovely. Now I'm back in the hotel cramming for tomorrow's test. I figure I won't be able to get away during Systems, so I seized the opportunity.

Now, back to E3585, derived alternate minima, and IORs. ;)

Lucky! We didn't get our badges until the 2nd week of systems!

kfahmi
09-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Lucky! We didn't get our badges until the 2nd week of systems!

No badges...but a bunch of us got our nonrev privileges by Day 5 of class. Some guys had hiring dates listed 10 days before class start, as opposed to some guys who interviewed literally a week before class, and so had Day 1 of class as their hire date.

So yeah, I can't jumpseat as none of us are in CASS yet, but I managed to nonrev home and back on two OO flights. Which was nice!

Larry in TN
09-28-2014, 03:34 PM
So yeah, I can't jumpseat as none of us are in CASS yet, but I managed to nonrev home and back on two OO flights. Which was nice!
You're not a real airline pilot until you're bumped off your commute flight, though... :)

kfahmi
09-28-2014, 06:29 PM
You're not a real airline pilot until you're bumped off your commute flight, though... :)

Well, I haven't started b*tching and moaning about pay or QOL yet, so clearly I'm not a real airline pilot. Give me one winter RAP in some horrific MSP crash pad when it's minus bazillion outside and then let's talk :D

Seminole00
09-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Well, I haven't started b*tching and moaning about pay or QOL yet, so clearly I'm not a real airline pilot. Give me one winter RAP in some horrific MSP crash pad when it's minus bazillion outside and then let's talk :D

be careful what you wish for. :eek:

rcfd13
09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Give me one winter RAP in some horrific MSP crash pad when it's minus bazillion outside and then let's talk :D

I spent my first summer at OO on reserve in FAT where it was 105 degrees and you'd occasionally hear gunshots from the crash pad. I still can't decide if a crashpad in FAT in the summer or MSP in the winter would be worse.

kfahmi
09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I spent my first summer at OO on reserve in FAT where it was 105 degrees and you'd occasionally hear gunshots from the crash pad. I still can't decide if a crashpad in FAT in the summer or MSP in the winter would be worse.

In my house in Oakland last year I had a .45 bullet come over the fence and land in my backyard.

But in OAK, at least the weather is gorgeous while you're getting shot at.

kfahmi
09-29-2014, 03:41 PM
be careful what you wish for. :eek:

Just praying they fill those four October and November classes with tons of more junior guys to fill those slots while I sit reserve in my garden in SFO :)

jonnyjetprop
09-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Just praying they fill those four October and November classes with tons of more junior guys to fill those slots while I sit reserve in my garden in SFO :)

Your friends on the red board are wondering if you are still alive :D

SMACFUM
09-30-2014, 10:46 AM

We're running 2 classes a month now? really?

galaxy flyer
09-30-2014, 02:55 PM
kfhami

And paying all those Cali taxes while getting shot at--the humanity. Cali people really are brainwashed that the Sun doesn't shine anywhere else.

GF

soakingpilot
09-30-2014, 04:04 PM
So just a quick clarification. At Skywest you get typed on the CR2/7 and split between those mostly? I really am looking for Cr7/9 time for the weight requirement for foreign airlines. So skywest is not the best for this or is it possible to get a base where you are basically committed to the cr7 or 9 most of the time?

how long would that take to get off of reserve to get that?

Thanks.

rcfd13
09-30-2014, 04:20 PM
So just a quick clarification. At Skywest you get typed on the CR2/7 and split between those mostly? I really am looking for Cr7/9 time for the weight requirement for foreign airlines. So skywest is not the best for this or is it possible to get a base where you are basically committed to the cr7 or 9 most of the time?

how long would that take to get off of reserve to get that?

Thanks.

IAH is an all 700 base and it's pretty junior. Also Skywest is hiring into the E175 if weight is the only thing important to you. Time to hold a line varies from base to base anywhere from 2 months to 6 years. We have a lot of bases.

kfahmi
09-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Your friends on the red board are wondering if you are still alive :D

Yeah, I gotta get back over there. Unfortunately today was Day 1 of Systems and the firehose is bigger than I thought! :eek:

Hou757
09-30-2014, 06:35 PM
IAH is an all 700 base and it's pretty junior. Also Skywest is hiring into the E175 if weight is the only thing important to you. Time to hold a line varies from base to base anywhere from 2 months to 6 years. We have a lot of bases.

How long to get off of reserve at IAH?

FlyinRabbit88
09-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Although IAH has a majority of its flying in the CR7, we also fly the CR9 on the delta side. As for reserve it would be longer than ord and Msp. But you never know, things could change fast with attrition. Still a big variety of flying and pretty good trips out of IAH. Just did a 29 credit 4 day last week (orig was 27:51 credit)