Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Jerry Glass

airhead99
10-28-2014, 11:36 AM
Now that the company has brought on notorious union buster Jerry Glass to assist during the last few weeks of negotiations, what are the odds of a mutually acceptable agreement being presented just 4 days before the deadline? Why the refusal to negotiate in the meantime? Arbitration is the road to the same devicive relationship we are all used to. Is this really management's road to the world's greatest airline? I hope I'm wrong, but the optimism among pilots is clearly fading fast.

The Drizzle
10-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Now that the company has brought on notorious union buster Jerry Glass to assist during the last few weeks of negotiations, what are the odds of a mutually acceptable agreement being presented just 4 days before the deadline? Why the refusal to negotiate in the meantime? Arbitration is the road to the same devicive relationship we are all used to. Is this really management's road to the world's greatest airline? I hope I'm wrong, but the optimism among pilots is clearly fading fast.

That's management's choice to make.

PurpleTurtle
10-28-2014, 02:58 PM

When I was hired pilots stayed on the plane to smile and thank the passengers. That of course changed with pilot morale being so low.. to the point that it is strange to ever see a pilot stand at the cockpit door longer than it takes to escape and depart.

Among the biggest retailers:
Walmart
Macy's
Sears

Among the biggest airlines:
American
Delta
United

Any correlation in the order of each list is purely coincidental, because as one can easily see, Walmart does have greeters.

CaptainBigWood
10-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Consider what it takes to make a flight attendant happy, $10 per hour.
Now consider what it is going to take for a parity raise for pilots $50-$60 per hr.
Pilots in general take pride in doing there job well, regardless of the pay.
I think DP is going to let Mr. Glass force the pilot labor costs as low as possible.
Does APA know that the honeymoon is over?

bassslayer
10-29-2014, 12:19 PM
In the end game, I'm confident that the JCBA will be much, much better than anything US or AA would have ever gotten as stand alone carriers. How it will compare to United or Delta remains to be seen but I'm not holding my breath. Parker has never had to run an airline that is on a level playing field with his competitors and personally I don't see him doing so now. Hopefully I'm wrong. I think the new AA has the potential to be an industry leading carrier that everyone wants to work at. Much like Southwest was, and Delta is. I just don't see it happening with this management team. I think our operational performance will continue to be strong, but labor relations has always been at the bottom of their priority list and as the saying goes, a leopard can't change its spots. It will be very interesting to see how Wall Street reacts when the realize the new boss is the same as the old boss... In this case, the new boss is the old boss.

PurpleTurtle
10-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Looks like two leopards with spots...

Beating the pilot group at the largest airline on the planet... That means a lot more to Jerry Glass than running a good airline means to Doug Parker. If Doug Parker wanted DAL labor relations then he wouldn't have brought in Glass.

What do you call two leopards with spots? A Kaleidoscope.

aa73
10-30-2014, 03:59 AM
If a leopard never changes spots, how is it that Delta is suddenly leading the industry in labor relations when it didn't used to be that way? Something must have changed over there. I remember in the Ron Allen and Leo Mullen days, Delta morale was at an all time low.

So things do change.

However... I am not at all optimistic here at AA. Parker and Kirby seem to be yet another extension of a long line of "same old same old" with their upcoming Scope 5-seat addition proposal.

They do have an amazing opportunity to get the pilots on board but seems like they don't want to go that route. Sad.

Spoiler
10-30-2014, 05:38 AM
For the life of me I cannot figure out how APA pilots think Parker is going to open up his wallet out of generosity. Profit sharing must be high on the list as fuel prices topple OR he is going to buy scope with an eye to the future. Either way, can anyone name an instance in which Parker and Kirby have made a similar move?
The MOU just requires cost neutral, the "irrational exuberance" of APA will come to a screeching halt when Glass meets mid November. IMHO of course.

The Chow
10-30-2014, 05:55 AM
If a leopard never changes spots, how is it that Delta is suddenly leading the industry in labor relations when it didn't used to be that way? Something must have changed over there. I remember in the Ron Allen and Leo Mullen days, Delta morale was at an all time low.

So things do change.

However... I am not at all optimistic here at AA. Parker and Kirby seem to be yet another extension of a long line of "same old same old" with their upcoming Scope 5-seat addition proposal.

They do have an amazing opportunity to get the pilots on board but seems like they don't want to go that route. Sad.

AA73,

I don't understand why they want this 5 seat scope BS. They're making record profits all the while asking Envoy for concessions, getting concessions from PDT and PSA, and now they're coming after you guys. What airplane are they trying to sneak in?

PurpleTurtle
10-30-2014, 06:08 AM
AA73,

I don't understand why they want this 5 seat scope BS. They're making record profits all the while asking Envoy for concessions, getting concessions from PDT and PSA, and now they're coming after you guys. What airplane are they trying to sneak in?

Good observations.

Doug Parker talks all the time about DAL being the goal we have to beat... Of course he wants us to assume our pay and QOL also needs to beat DAL, but everything he is doing is aimed at making labor costs lower than DAL, across the board, so he doesn't need to compete.

Doug Parker has never run an airline with industry average labor costs. Never. He isn't about to start now. The very personable Jerry Glass is just one more proof.

justjack
10-30-2014, 07:47 AM
The very presence of union buster, Mr. Glass, immediately hurls me into combative mode. This should serve as a wake up call. I was beginning to exhale, just ever so slightly.There is nothing - no move, now from Parker that we should not consider suspect.

aa73
10-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Riddle me this.

Delta exits Bk and gets a kick a$$ contract. Apparently Richard Anderson opens his wallet to preserve labor peace.

United exits Bk and gets a kick a$$ contract under which Smisek also goes the distance to ensure labor peace.

Why should we be any different??? Why are Parker and Kirby breaking the mold - right at the time when they NEED labor peace?

This is gonna get ugly. The pilots of AA have been through this before, fall 2012. The wounds are still fresh.

Skubajet
10-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm a little concerned about this profit sharing. We should definitely get it, but if we do like everyone is hoping, there is going to be quite some animosity between other labor groups (flight attendants and rampers) in the airline against the pilots. This will not be a positive force toward the morale at AA. Just something to think about. I'd be happy with a significant percentage increase over DAL rates to make up for it.

I must be missing something. DP should just give everyone profit sharing. Either he is really stupid or really smart but it seems like its the first one because whether we as pilots get it or not, there will be unhappy labor groups. I mean look at delta and southwest, both successful AND happy labor groups...it isn't rocket science.

justjack
10-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Riddle me this.

Delta exits Bk and gets a kick a$$ contract. Apparently Richard Anderson opens his wallet to preserve labor peace.

United exits Bk and gets a kick a$$ contract under which Smisek also goes the distance to ensure labor peace.

Why should we be any different??? Why are Parker and Kirby breaking the mold - right at the time when they NEED labor peace?

This is gonna get ugly. The pilots of AA have been through this before, fall 2012. The wounds are still fresh.

Take a realistic look at all of the other airlines that Parker/Kirby (now Glass again) have managed. Management always had the upper hand. Parker does not know how to run a successful airline under any other circumstance. Name one airline, name one instance, in the past where Parker was playing on an even playing field with labor.
These employees all got behind Parker when it looked like the merger was not going to happen. Before that, the very reason that USAirways lived to see the day that there was a chance for a merger was because pf employee concessions. Look at Jerry Glass's history. Find one case where it went well for labor.
I say let this go to arbitration.

aa73
10-30-2014, 08:30 AM
^^^makes sense

I could be wrong but didn't jerry glass work at delta too at some time?

PurpleTurtle
10-30-2014, 09:32 AM
^^^makes sense

I could be wrong but didn't jerry glass work at delta too at some time?

Jerry Glass | F&H Solutions Group (http://www.fhsolutionsgroup.com/our_consultants/jerry-glass)

Do a YouTube search on him and you can see him crowing about DeltaNorthwest FAs rejecting the union.

drinksonme
10-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Never mind......

Diesel1030
10-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Riddle me this.

Agreed.. Pennies on the dollar to help ensure good morale and start kicking a$$.

NO SCOPE GIVES...

Mr Glass can come on in and APA should walk right out the door into arbitration where I'll happily wait for our pay parity if he even attempts scope concessions. Scope cannot be arbitrated.

dynamic psi
10-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Stand strong, we at envoy are trying to hold fast in the face of round 4 with Glass and company. DO NOT BEND when it comes to scope.

TRZ06
10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
First, Ive never heard of this guy Glass but if what is said is only half true, the writing is on the wall. Second, from what little Ive seen of DP since the merger, he seems to be a fervent delegator. It makes sense he would bring in someone to do the dirty work. I imagine the company will send out a contract proposal directly to the membership...an end around play bypassing the union negotiators completely. This is all very traditional American from the past, albeit under new management. For me, this is the bottom-line. Others have wondered why management wouldn't use this opportunity to build a new relationship going forward. Although I think this would be a smart move, I feel all they want is the cheapest labor force they can get away with. For them that cost advantage realized outweighs any morale issues with personnel, and in the end Wall Street is happy with the numbers. Certainly it is not the strategy of Delta, but it appears to be the same strategy used at America West and US Air. We will head down the road of Arbitration. DP will swear we could have done better with what was offered before arbitration. And with the cost neutral basis that has to be followed, I expect we'll see something close to our initially agreed upon MOU. Why else would he not even deal on the low/no cost items APA sent him? Why would he bring back the Scope provision?
DP knows darn well he'll be almost as happy with the arbiter's decision and the airline lumbers onward none the worse for what has happened. Like every management team we've had from Crandall on, the all too familiar "its only business...nothing personal" attitude seems to be the mantra. You can bet that labor's response both now and in the future will continue to be "you get what you pay for!" and the rest is History repeating itself again, and again, and again.

Al Czervik
10-31-2014, 04:22 AM
Why doesn't APA hire and equal to Glass? I agree though... Think parker is completely happy with the MOU rates.

Mink
10-31-2014, 07:53 AM
First, Ive never heard of this guy Glass but if what is said is only half true, the writing is on the wall. Second, from what little Ive seen of DP since the merger, he seems to be a fervent delegator. It makes sense he would bring in someone to do the dirty work. I imagine the company will send out a contract proposal directly to the membership...an end around play bypassing the union negotiators completely. This is all very traditional American from the past, albeit under new management. For me, this is the bottom-line. Others have wondered why management wouldn't use this opportunity to build a new relationship going forward. Although I think this would be a smart move, I feel all they want is the cheapest labor force they can get away with. For them that cost advantage realized outweighs any morale issues with personnel, and in the end Wall Street is happy with the numbers. Certainly it is not the strategy of Delta, but it appears to be the same strategy used at America West and US Air. We will head down the road of Arbitration. DP will swear we could have done better with what was offered before arbitration. And with the cost neutral basis that has to be followed, I expect we'll see something close to our initially agreed upon MOU. Why else would he not even deal on the low/no cost items APA sent him? Why would he bring back the Scope provision?
DP knows darn well he'll be almost as happy with the arbiter's decision and the airline lumbers onward none the worse for what has happened. Like every management team we've had from Crandall on, the all too familiar "its only business...nothing personal" attitude seems to be the mantra. You can bet that labor's response both now and in the future will continue to be "you get what you pay for!" and the rest is History repeating itself again, and again, and again.

^^^^This^^^^

And APA will sell whatever concessionary deal they are handed to the membership as a Glass half full (sorry), "best we could do..." Battered wife syndrome.

And yes, APA never seems to learn that you can't play varsity ball (Glass and his ilk) with a JV lineup (pilot negotiators).

justjack
10-31-2014, 08:27 AM
^^^^This^^^^

And APA will sell whatever concessionary deal they are handed to the membership as a Glass half full (sorry), "best we could do..." Battered wife syndrome.

And yes, APA never seems to learn that you can't play varsity ball (Glass and his ilk) with a JV lineup (pilot negotiators).

Everything can be fact checked re Glass. He is on record. Glass and Parker are buds- the delegating and finding a way to involve his ol' pal Glass scenario did cross my mind but the bitterness between Glass and labor goes too deep. Parker knows this is the case. APA needs to lawyer up to the same level.

meyers9163
10-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Everything can be fact checked re Glass. He is on record. Glass and Parker are buds- the delegating and finding a way to involve his ol' pal Glass scenario did cross my mind but the bitterness between Glass and labor goes too deep. Parker knows this is the case. APA needs to lawyer up to the same level.

I'd answer back by bringing in UAL, DAL, SWA and any other negotiation chairman from a superior carrier into our sessions to bring facts behind their contracts and show we demand the same contract if not better.... Bet those boys wouldn't enjoy having more union leaders knowledgeable about current and better deals sitting down with them.

Lechedegato
11-01-2014, 12:14 AM
APA should have hired Glass first. Wouldn't that have been funny.

GW258
11-02-2014, 05:34 AM
One man, Jerry Glass, against 10,000 union pilots?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Saabs
11-02-2014, 06:09 AM

Shouldn't be a problem.

Pretty sure he already beat 20,000 + union pilots with the domino effect on his pension shenanigans

justjack
11-02-2014, 10:43 AM
From 11 April 2010 The Dallas Morning News
Variable compensation
Glass said the industry must move to a system where more of the compensation is variable - rewarding employees during good years, not paying so much when an airline is struggling.
In the same article he also said, "Not only did the labor contracts go into effect in a relatively short period of time, they all had similar durations - giving enough time to get themselves restructured and give themselves some time to get back to profitability."
His reply to the statistic that a manager at McDonald’s makes more money than a pilot in his first year at a regional was that a McDonald’s manager has nowhere near the career earning potential of a commercial pilot. Starting salary doesn't tell you the whole picture, he said.

I suppose one might consider 10 years "short" and one might also consider the 10 years that one works for low wages as not being "the whole picture." Given that it adds up to about 2/3rd s of the 30 year "career earning potential of a commercial pilot" perhaps we should use Mr. Glass's own arguments for an industry standard contract.

Spoiler
11-02-2014, 11:59 AM
he will say whatever the situation demands or whatever his employer dictates
he is just a hired gun

Thedude
11-02-2014, 01:01 PM
"Earning potential" doesn't pay the bills.

Kind of like hiring interns and not paying them or paying them an abysmally low wage and try to justify it by telling them "Look at all the experience you are building for your resume".

TrakTrak
11-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Shouldn't be a problem.

Glass is bad news no matter the size of the group.