Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Adding SE to a CPL-ME ??

11-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Hi All,

I have a question regarding what I need to do in order to be able to rent an aircraft (SE, like a C-172) in the States in my current situation. It is sufficiently complicated that I have no clue anymore... :p

I'm a Dutch National, Flying for an UK Airline, holding an UK issued EASA licence with a valid A320 type rating.
My single engine land rating is expired, I haven't flown SE-piston for 10 years or so. However I fly about 700-800 hrs a year on the A320 for a major LCC in Europe :)
I also still hold an US CPL, ME IR.

I used to have a US PPL SE based on a Dutch licence, but that Dutch licence has been converted to a UK licence and later to an EASA licence and the SE bit is long expired...
My US CPL ME IR does not mention SE, so I'm assuming that it is not valid for SE :rolleyes:

Coming spring, I'm planning a trip to Florida with my family and I would love to take them on a trip in a C-172. My wife and I used to live in Miami for a few years and it be cool to now share that with our girls.
But I don't know what I need to do (and what is the fastest way) to obtain a SE rating.

I guess getting the rating valid in my EASA licence and than coverting it to a US licence is possible, but not easy nowadays. I would probably prefer to add it to my US licence if that is possible. But what would be required and how long would it take?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Getting your EASA single engine privilages reinstated, and then converting it to an FAA Private Pilot Certificate shoul be the easiest way. The conversion process isn't difficult at all. Just plan for it to take upto two months for the required paperwork to travel back an forth between the U.S. And you EASA country. Once you arrive in the states, you'll meet with an examiner to finish the paperwork so your temporary FAA certificate can be issued to you. Finally you need to complete a flight review with a flight instructor to "activate" your PIC privilages. Let me know if you need any help, i own a flight training company in central Florida.