Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Flight School Advice

Bob Paulson
03-17-2015, 04:32 PM
A friend of mine has decided to become a pilot despite my warnings.
It has been many moons since I was walked around by the flight school sales girl with the perfume and showed the best of the fleet.
So, a few questions for you recent grads out there.

1) Are there any pay per rating schools left? (instead of per flight hour)

2) Is there an obvious choice with a good guaranteed job at the end of the rainbow?

3) Would you recommend the school you went to?

Thanks in advance!

PittsDriver
03-18-2015, 08:40 AM
USAF or USN. Free and best training.

Cubdriver
03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
..So, a few questions for you recent grads out there.

1) Are there any pay per rating schools left? (instead of per flight hour)

I am not a recent grad personally, but reading here for years I hear there are some schools with rating packages like AllATPs, Amercian Flyers, The Aviator in FL, Sheebles in AZ, several in Texas, a small school called Prairie Air Service in KS, often tucked away and out of sight. They are run as corporations or as mom and pop small outfits in some cases. Such schools typically pare down the program enough to teach to the test and yield faster results than ordinary FBOs can. The quality of training is iffy in some cases as they really are not making pilots they are making test passers for a day. It's a difference in emphasis, and one I would strongly advice your friend to think about.

Even if you buy the zero to hero package at say, American Flyers, if you are not talented enough to do it in the time frame given you WILL have to pay more to finish. It is not a guaranteed time frame for completion any more than a college degree is scheduled but never guaranteed.

...2) Is there an obvious choice with a good guaranteed job at the end of the rainbow?...

I think the only thing you can get is a guaranteed interview with some outfits like AllATPs. They always reserve the right to pick whom they want even among those who are FAA-qualified applicants.

...3) Would you recommend the school you went to?...

Following this topic over the years I came to the conclusion that ABET- approved US colleges such as Embry Riddle, UND, Kansas State (there are quite a few, see AOPA and search APC for some more) offer solid training all around. The problem is the cost. You can beat the country mile out of academic costs using ad hoc Part 61 training. You'll be just as good a pilot and save a LOT of money. However, kids ore often not very self motivated and organized, hence the academies and their high costs. If your friend is typical then he or she needs the structure of a college program and will benefit from it. Get ready to watch $150k+ evaporate.

JamesNoBrakes
03-18-2015, 10:03 AM

For a privileged few.

PotatoChip
03-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Define "free".

PittsDriver
03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Define "free".

Not being in tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and making good money in the process. It may not be for everyone, but IMO the best option and you don't have to be privileged to get in like mentioned above. If you are a hard worker and determined a person can get it done. Tons of average folks have done it, myself included.

For the record, I did my private through commercial part 141 in college so know about paying for it. Of course the guard or reserve path the best option over active duty.