Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : per diem & IRS

01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

To do the tax return ...others told me this is how to do it. Worked for A commuter air line, now being audited by IRS.

Was paid by the company a $1. an hr $24. per day.

I was told that the gsa site gives the per diem rates for each city and that I could claim the difference between what I was paid and the gsa rate for each city.

Say I spent 10 nights in clt and the gsa rate there is $38., the company paid me $24. so I would be entitled to claim an additional $12. per night or $120. on my pilot expenses. Is this correct?


Sorry I did it myself!

01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Check out this site for advice.

I recommend them to all my guys who ask about per diem and taxes.

I don't know if they can help you after the fact though. :(


01-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Actually, the rates for transportation workers is better than the standard GSA rate of $39.

from - pub 17 chap 26
Special rate for transportation workers. You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:
Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and

Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

If this applies to you, you can claim a standard meal allowance of $52 a day ($58 for travel outside the continental United States) from January 1 through December 31, 2006.

Using the special rate for transportation workers eliminates the need for you to determine the standard meal allowance for every area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you choose to use the special rate for any trip, you must use the special rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips you take that year.

There's a lot of stuff to look at if you're doing your own taxes. Pub 17 has a lot of info. I'm not a tax specialist, but I'm going to try to figure it out on my own this year.

01-26-2007, 11:46 AM
If you document your time away (flight pay logs) you can claim the IRS max without further documentation. Then you can claim the difference between what you were paid and what you "spent" as excess expense. This can be a large number especially if you do any international flying. This excess number is subject to some restrictions but it can be worth it to file for it.

01-29-2007, 05:37 AM
You have to multiply the difference by 70%.

01-30-2007, 08:54 AM
75% is what I found

Glacier Pilot
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM
:(I am under a current audit for a simular situation.
I work only 4 months a year in Alaska. Is this a tempoary job?
The IRS thinks not and says it is a permanent position and my tax home is Alaska.
I need help fighting the IRS.
This is my first post to any web site and the IRS made me do it to survive.