Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ATP CTP Questions

05-04-2015, 03:53 PM
I have a few questions regarding the ATP CTP. I am US citizen holding and FAA Commercial multi Instrument licence along with my CFI and CFII. I now am working for an Airlines based outside the USA.

When I left the US I did not have the hours required to take my ATP and was unexpectedly rushed to my airline so I didn't have time to take the written exam.

I now have my1500hrs and 400hrs on a 737NG on my ICAO Commercial licence. I was going to convert my Foreign ATP but the rules changed here. They require 1500hrs on national registered aircraft. So I can not get an atp licence here.

What do I need to do? Do I need to take the CPT class to take the written even though I am flying for an airline? what other requirements do I need to do? Does anyone know someone at the FAA that knows about this situation? I asked my old DPE and POI at the FAA and they had said to ask around. They dident have an answer for me.

and is it possible to do my ATP and 737ng type at the same time?

Please let me know if you can answer my questions or if you need more information.

Thanks Everyone for your help and input.


05-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm a little confused as to some of the details (you talk about having an ICAO Commercial license...which doesn't exist...then you talk about having a foreign ATP)...but the bottom line is this: if you do not have a FAA ATP with multi-engine class rating in your wallet right now or you did not pass the FAA ATP written test prior to the cutoff date (August 1, 2014) then you will need to do the CTP course prior to taking your FAA ATP multi-engine written.

For the purposes of the CTP is does not matter what foreign licenses or type ratings you may have or the fact you are flying for a foreign airline.

Provided you meet the requirements for a FAA ATP, you may combine the type rating and ATP check ride into one.

I am surprised the DPE and POI were unable to answer your question.

05-11-2015, 01:13 PM

I was trying to be discreet about my employment location. I know there is not a "ICAO" licence but my 737 licence is from an accredited ICAO country. Thus its an ICAO licence. I do not have an Foreign ATP. Because the country I live in requires 1500 hours in Aircraft that are registered to their country only.

Thanks for the information. I have asked around and getting the same response from other places.