Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Type of medical?

Stets656
05-04-2015, 05:17 PM
I am a senior in high school and I am about 10 hours into my PPL training and will be heading to Western Michigan University next year with a degree in Aviation Flight Science. I will need my medical fairly soon, would it be wise to just get a third class so that I can solo or should I go for 1st or 2nd to see if I can at least work commercially as a pilot. What would be the pros and cons of doing one or the other and what tips/advice do you have regarding my medical certificate.

Thanks,
Nate

propilot
05-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Get your first class/student initially and then maintain at least a 2nd class from here on out. While the differences are minimal between the various classes, you don't want to spend thousands of dollars to find out about a medical hiccup later.

Tippy
05-04-2015, 07:12 PM
i agree, for the first time spend the extra 10-20 bucks to get and EGK for the 1st class to make sure there are no issues, then depending on what you are doing that will be good for five years.

TheWeatherman
05-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Your fight school may require at a minimum a 2nd class medical. Make sure to check with them first.

Speedbird67V
05-23-2015, 10:46 AM
i agree, for the first time spend the extra 10-20 bucks to get and EGK for the 1st class to make sure there are no issues, then depending on what you are doing that will be good for five years.
The ECG is only required at 35 and then annually after turning 40.