Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

05-11-2015, 09:32 AM
Wanted to ask if there is anyone who is a permanent U.S. Resident(green card holder) who have worked outside USA for couple years but had a commuting contract like 8 weeks on 3 weeks off etc.

How does it work out with CBP and immigrations when you travelled back and forth? And if it is possible to commute and work for a foreign carrier really doable with a Green Card. Asking coz it is not advised to stay outside USA for more that six months at a stretch.

Any information would be helpful.

If any one would like to PM please do.

05-11-2015, 10:11 AM
PM sent to you

05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
PM sent to you

Thank you..

05-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Hey guys, permanent resident here too, and wondering the same thing. Once I hit 1000h, I was wondering if I could make it to Copa without losing my Green Card. Would you mind sharing any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :D

05-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Javichu, just stay in America till 1500h and come work with me.

Controlled Rest
05-13-2015, 07:12 AM
A friend who had a green card lived and worked permanently outside the US for years. He recently gave up the green card for tax reasons but I'm not aware of him having any problems living overseas while he had it.

05-13-2015, 08:00 AM
A friend who had a green card lived and worked permanently outside the US for years. He recently gave up the green card for tax reasons but I'm not aware of him having any problems living overseas while he had it.

I think if you will eventually give it up, it is not a problem. But if you want to keep it and apply for naturalization and get US citizenship, it can be a problem.

The constant traveling back and forth to US and if your living outside U.S. for an extended period of time then it can be a problem.

The Dominican
05-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Taxes or immigration questions is best to ask a professional and not follow advice from "I heard or my friend said" In this thread alone there are a couple of inaccuracies.

Take a few minutes and consult an immigration attorney..., it will cost you a few bucks but you will get the correct and latest information.

phoenix 23684
05-24-2015, 09:36 AM
When I had my green card, I was told I could not live overseas until I got my citizenship. I was in the military then stationed in Germany when I got the notice to get my citizenship. I flew stateside and the first question they asked was why was I in Germany. Of course once I said I was stationed there, they understood, but I think it would have been a deal breaker if I wasn't in the military. If you want to pursue citizenship I would be cautious with living abroad.

symbian simian
05-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Got my Green card in 2002, continued working outside of USA (Europe) till 2005, so stuff might have changed but I doubt it. I had no problem leaving or coming back. Got a job in the US in 05, waited til I had the required time in the US and got a blue passport (and a better job!). The main issue I had was the tax situation:
If you try to get any of the foreign tax deductions you have to reside outside of the US, if you claim not to live in the US for tax purposes they can take your Green Card away:

Maintaining Permanent Residence | USCIS (

"Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns."

I didn't want to take the risk and ended up paying taxes both here and there.

05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
I will second what 'The Dominican' stated about consulting an immigration attorney and add that you should also consult a tax attorney/accountant who specialises in American expat taxes. Working outside the United States while holding a U.S. green card puts you into FBAR/FATCA territory, and that comes with its own unique set of challenges and issues. Even if you are still working in the country that you hold citizenship in, if you have been granted a U.S. green card you are considered a 'U.S. Person' and are now subject to all the same rules and regulations that apply to U.S. citizens who live and work abroad. This is not something to ignore or blow off as many who have been caught unaware have suddenly found themselves spending tens of thousands of dollars to get themselves in compliance.